|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Joe worry about lack of appetite?
(a) He wanted to lose weight.
(b) He wants to die anyway.
(c) He doesn't like army food.
(d) They pump food in his stomach.
2. What is Joe trying to figure out how to tell his father when they go camping?
(a) He hates to fish.
(b) He wants to go hunting.
(c) Bill Harper is coming to fish with Joe.
(d) He hates to camp.
3. What does Joe realize when he tries to kick the blankets off?
(a) He is strapped down.
(b) There are no blankets on him.
(c) He's lost his legs too.
(d) They are tucked under the mattress.
4. What does Joe finally do after thinking about a lottery?
(a) Calms down and thinks.
(b) Rolls over.
(c) Kills himself.
(d) Tries to cry.
5. When he wants to kill himself by not breathing what does he find out?
(a) He is strapped down so he can't move.
(b) He can't hold his breath.
(c) His breathing is beyond his control.
(d) He passes out before dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Joe tries to yell?
2. What does Joe think he should have done about Diane instead rushing out to work in the desert?
3. What does Joe find out when someone finally answers the phone?
4. How does Joe feel when the nurse is washing him?
5. What famous person flies into Joe's hometown one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What idea does Pinky Carson come up with for Jose and how does that work out?
2. Why does he worry about a ring? What kind of ring is it and who gave it to him?
3. What does Joe think about doctors and war?
4. What does Joe think when he thinks of his family and what does he see as the reality?
5. Where does Joe see Jose while he's lying in bed, what does he ask him and what does Joe figure out?
6. What doesn't Joe understand about being alive?
7. What does Joe think guys should do when called up for the military?
8. How does Joe feel about the nurse bathing him?
9. Who does Joe call out to in his nightmare and why?
10. How far does Joe walk to get to the bakery and how much money does he make?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)