|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe think would be wonderful when he was thinking about the nurse and the rat?
(a) If they were the same person.
(b) That he would hear.
(c) That it's his mother bathing him.
(d) That nothing is real.
2. Why won't the doctors kill Joe now?
(a) They need him.
(b) They put too much work into him.
(c) It would be murder.
(d) It's against Army regulations.
3. Why is Bill Bonham a failure?
(a) He can't feed his family.
(b) He doesn't hunt.
(c) He can't catch any fish.
(d) He can't make money.
4. Where is the desert in which Joe is working?
(a) New Mexico.
5. Why does Joe think he is masked?
(a) So his face will heal.
(b) So the nurses won't have to look at him.
(c) They haven't taken off the bandages yet.
(d) To keep infection down.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month is Joe's birthday?
2. Joe would think he was dead except why?
3. What happened to the coal miner who returned home badly wounded?
4. What does Joe do when he finally realizes the full extent of his injuries?
5. Why does Joe Bonham wish someone would pick up the phone?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Joe become aware of the war and what events in the war occurred at that time?
2. Where does Joe see Jose while he's lying in bed, what does he ask him and what does Joe figure out?
3. Why does Joe think he is dying and why does he know he is alive?
4. What are the two problems Jose talks to the guys at the bakery about?
5. How does Joe feel about the nurse bathing him?
6. Why doesn't Joe worry about loss of appetite?
7. What book did Joe read that gave him a nightmare and what was that nightmare?
8. Who is the pilot who comes to Joe's hometown, what does he do and what does the superintendent of schools say about airplanes?
9. Describe the scene at the rail station when Joe is leaving for the army.
10. Why does Joe wish someone would pick up the phone and what happens when they do?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)