|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe think about the fact that they cut off his arm?
(a) They should have asked him first.
(b) He still has the right arm.
(c) He's glad it wasn't his right arm.
(d) He can always walk.
2. What does Joe ask Kareen in his dream?
(a) To marry him.
(b) To hold her head up so she won't drown.
(c) To come find him.
(d) To have a child with him.
3. What does Joe want the nurses to do so he doesn't feel like he's drowning?
(a) To prop him up.
(b) To put him in a chair.
(c) To lay him out flat.
(d) To wipe the sweat off his face.
4. Why does Joe not understand how he is alive?
(a) He has always been lucky.
(b) He didn't think medicine was so far advanced.
(c) So many people die of such small things.
(d) He was in a foxhole away from medical help.
5. Why is Joe not too upset about being deaf?
(a) His girlfriend can't nag him.
(b) He didn't like music.
(c) His brother can't yell at him.
(d) He won't be able to hear the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Joe compare his situation right now?
2. Why won't the doctors kill Joe now?
3. What does Joe think is his duty towards Diane?
4. What does Joe think about his head as he lays in the bed?
5. Why does Joe think he may be lucky not having a nose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joe think about to try and use his mind?
2. What doesn't Joe understand about being alive?
3. Why does Joe think being the way he is is worse than being in the womb?
4. What does Joe think guys should do when called up for the military?
5. What does Joe think about when he can feel dawn?
6. What solution finally comes to Joe about keeping track of time?
7. What does the day nurse do with Joe?
8. Describe the process of the new nurse attempting to communicate with Joe.
9. How does Joe think of Kareen and what does he wonder about her?
10. Describe how Joe is feeling while working in the desert.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)