|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joe feel when the nurse is washing him?
(c) Safe and snug.
(d) In pain.
2. What does Joe weep about for the first time?
(a) A girl.
(b) Going to war.
(c) His mother's death.
(d) Working in the desert.
3. Why does Bonham think he is dying?
(a) He is being ignored by the hospital staff.
(b) He is hot and shaky.
(c) He wants to die so he denies he can live.
(d) No one can lose so much of oneself and live.
4. What happens when Joe tries to yell?
(a) He realizes he has no mouth.
(b) His larynx is gone.
(c) He has a sore throat.
(d) He has no tongue.
5. How does Joe know time has passed?
(a) The nurse told him.
(b) His stumps have healed.
(c) They's moved in to another place.
(d) By his daily bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he wants to kill himself by not breathing what does he find out?
2. What does Joe do when he finally realizes the full extent of his injuries?
3. Why does Joe Bonham wish someone would pick up the phone?
4. What does Joe want to do most as he is lying in bed injured?
5. Why does Joe think he may be lucky not having a nose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Howie wake Joe up after working all day on the railroad?
2. What does Joe think about guys fighting for liberty?
3. What does Joe want to stop and why?
4. What are the two problems Jose talks to the guys at the bakery about?
5. Where does Joe see Jose while he's lying in bed, what does he ask him and what does Joe figure out?
6. What idea does Pinky Carson come up with for Jose and how does that work out?
7. Why does Joe think he is dying and why does he know he is alive?
8. Why doesn't Joe worry about loss of appetite?
9. Describe the scene at Joe's parents house when he arrives home after his father died.
10. How does Joe feel about the nurse bathing him?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)