|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the coal miner who returned home badly wounded?
(a) He died from eating an apple.
(b) He shot himself.
(c) His wife killed him.
(d) He fell into a coal mine.
2. Joe would think he was dead except why?
(a) He can feel his breathing.
(b) He can't see anyone else.
(c) He shouldn't go to hell and where he is must be hell.
(d) He is thinking and curious.
3. Why is Joe not too upset about being deaf?
(a) His girlfriend can't nag him.
(b) He didn't like music.
(c) He won't be able to hear the war.
(d) His brother can't yell at him.
4. Why does Joe think he is masked?
(a) They haven't taken off the bandages yet.
(b) To keep infection down.
(c) So his face will heal.
(d) So the nurses won't have to look at him.
5. When does the first snowfall usually happen where Joe grew up?
(a) Valentine's Day.
(b) New Years Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe finally do after thinking about a lottery?
2. What is happening in Joe's mind as he lays in bed?
3. What did Joe hear about Harper and his fortunes in the war?
4. What happened to Joe's left arm?
5. What does Joe think would be wonderful when he was thinking about the nurse and the rat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joe feel about the nurse bathing him?
2. What does Joe see on the way home from the train station?
3. What book did Joe read that gave him a nightmare and what was that nightmare?
4. Why does Joe wish someone would pick up the phone and what happens when they do?
5. What does Joe think about doctors and war?
6. How far does Joe walk to get to the bakery and how much money does he make?
7. What are the two problems Jose talks to the guys at the bakery about?
8. How does Joe think he might be able to tell being awake and asleep with no eyes?
9. What doesn't Joe understand about being alive?
10. Who does Joe call out to in his nightmare and why?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)