|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe think is his duty towards Diane?
(a) To tell her father.
(b) To warn her about Hogan.
(c) To marry her.
(d) To let her go so she can date who she wants.
2. What did his parents use when they were courting?
(a) A bulletin board at school.
(b) Sending messages with friends.
(c) Notes passed by their parents.
(d) A party line telephone.
3. What does Joe realize when he tries to kick the blankets off?
(a) He is strapped down.
(b) He's lost his legs too.
(c) They are tucked under the mattress.
(d) There are no blankets on him.
4. Why does Joe Bonham wish someone would pick up the phone?
(a) He hates phones on general principle.
(b) He is expecting a call.
(c) He has a terrible headache.
(d) He hates the tone the phone makes.
5. What does Joe finally do after thinking about a lottery?
(a) Rolls over.
(b) Tries to cry.
(c) Calms down and thinks.
(d) Kills himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Joe tries to yell?
2. What is Joe trying to figure out how to tell his father when they go camping?
3. What do some of the soldiers in France do that are too scared to talk?
4. What is Jose's ethnic background?
5. What did Joe hear about Harper and his fortunes in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How far does Joe walk to get to the bakery and how much money does he make?
2. Why does Joe wish someone would pick up the phone and what happens when they do?
3. When did Joe become aware of the war and what events in the war occurred at that time?
4. Why doesn't Joe worry about loss of appetite?
5. Who does Joe call out to in his nightmare and why?
6. What does Joe want to stop and why?
7. What doesn't Joe understand about being alive?
8. Describe how Joe is feeling while working in the desert.
9. How does Joe feel about the nurse bathing him?
10. What does Joe think about guys fighting for liberty?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)