|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days has Joe been sick in his life?
(c) Three times.
2. What does Joe find out when someone finally answers the phone?
(a) His girlfriend is in the hospital.
(b) His younger sister is gone.
(c) His mother has died.
(d) His father has died.
3. What kind of flowers do the kids gather for May Day?
4. Where did Joe and his friends swim in Colorado?
(a) In a big ditch.
(b) A a swimming hole.
(c) At a lake.
(d) In the river.
5. What does Joe think would be wonderful when he was thinking about the nurse and the rat?
(a) That it's his mother bathing him.
(b) That he would hear.
(c) If they were the same person.
(d) That nothing is real.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Joe worry about lack of appetite?
2. What does Joe wonder about when he thinks of the foxhole?
3. How does Joe feel when the nurse is washing him?
4. What does Joe finally realize towards the end of Chapter 3?
5. Joe thinks a lot of guys go to war because of this.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Joe call out to in his nightmare and why?
2. As Joe's pain fades some what does he think about and how does he feel about being deaf?
3. What book did Joe read that gave him a nightmare and what was that nightmare?
4. Why doesn't Joe worry about loss of appetite?
5. How does Joe think he might be able to tell being awake and asleep with no eyes?
6. Why does Howie wake Joe up after working all day on the railroad?
7. Describe the scene at Joe's parents house when he arrives home after his father died.
8. How does Joe feel about the nurse bathing him?
9. When did Joe become aware of the war and what events in the war occurred at that time?
10. When is Joe's birthday; how did they celebrate; and what present did Glen give him one year? What came a few months after that present?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)