|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jose's ethnic background?
(b) Puerto Rican.
2. Why does Joe Bonham wish someone would pick up the phone?
(a) He hates the tone the phone makes.
(b) He has a terrible headache.
(c) He is expecting a call.
(d) He hates phones on general principle.
3. Why is Bill Bonham a failure?
(a) He can't feed his family.
(b) He doesn't hunt.
(c) He can't catch any fish.
(d) He can't make money.
4. What does Joe finally do after thinking about a lottery?
(a) Tries to cry.
(b) Calms down and thinks.
(c) Rolls over.
(d) Kills himself.
5. How much did the bread sacks Joe lifted at the bakery weigh?
(a) 90 pounds.
(b) 30 pounds.
(c) 100 pounds.
(d) 50 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Joe compare his situation right now?
2. When does the first snowfall usually happen where Joe grew up?
3. What did his girlfriend ask him when he was drafted?
4. Joe would think he was dead except why?
5. When he wants to kill himself by not breathing what does he find out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What book did Joe read that gave him a nightmare and what was that nightmare?
2. What does Joe think when he thinks of his family and what does he see as the reality?
3. Where does Joe see Jose while he's lying in bed, what does he ask him and what does Joe figure out?
4. How does Joe feel about the nurse bathing him?
5. Who does Joe call out to in his nightmare and why?
6. Describe the scene at the rail station when Joe is leaving for the army.
7. What does Joe think about doctors and war?
8. Why does Joe think he is dying and why does he know he is alive?
9. How does Joe think he might be able to tell being awake and asleep with no eyes?
10. What does Joe think guys should do when called up for the military?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)