|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month is Joe's birthday?
2. What is Jose's ethnic background?
(b) Puerto Rican.
3. How does Joe figure out that he is deaf?
(a) He can't hear the doctors.
(b) He can't hear his mother.
(c) He can's hear any music.
(d) He can't hear his pulse.
4. When he wants to kill himself by not breathing what does he find out?
(a) He passes out before dying.
(b) His breathing is beyond his control.
(c) He is strapped down so he can't move.
(d) He can't hold his breath.
5. What skill do Joe and his friends master?
(a) Smoking cigarettes with style.
(b) Asking a girl on a date.
(c) Hunting deer and elk.
(d) Dancing with the girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days has Joe been sick in his life?
2. What does Joe say he is as far as a lottery for life?
3. What does Joe think is his duty towards Diane?
4. Why are Joe and Howie laying track in the desert?
5. What happened to the coal miner who returned home badly wounded?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joe think he might be able to tell being awake and asleep with no eyes?
2. What does Joe remember about New Year's Eve in Shale City and Los Angeles?
3. What is the response to Joe's offer and Joe's reaction?
4. What do you think it means when Joe thinks that two billion people have been pushing the lid of his coffin down and covering him with dirt and stone.
5. How does Joe realize he has no left arm and how does he feel about it?
6. How does Joe think of Kareen and what does he wonder about her?
7. Who is the pilot who comes to Joe's hometown, what does he do and what does the superintendent of schools say about airplanes?
8. What does the day nurse do with Joe?
9. What does a doctor do when Joe keeps tapping and what does Joe think is the reason why?
10. What is Joe's first response to what the nurse communicates to him?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)