|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe ask Kareen in his dream?
(a) To come find him.
(b) To marry him.
(c) To have a child with him.
(d) To hold her head up so she won't drown.
2. What did Joe hear about Harper and his fortunes in the war?
(a) He was injured and sent home.
(b) He was made a captain.
(c) He was never drafted.
(d) He was killed.
3. Why doesn't Joe get tired?
(a) That part of his brain was damaged.
(b) He has no arms or legs to move.
(c) He can't tell when it's night.
(d) He's no longer working.
4. What does Joe think you die for in war?
(c) Your woman.
5. What does Joe realize when he asks Jose to come closer to him?
(a) He's been dreaming.
(b) Jose is in Germany.
(c) Jose can't walk either.
(d) Jose is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Joe become aware of the war?
2. What minor injury does Joe think about?
3. What does Jose want to know from the rest of the workers at the bakery?
4. How does Joe feel about the war?
5. Why are Joe and Howie laying track in the desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What idea does Pinky Carson come up with for Jose and how does that work out?
2. How does Joe feel about the nurse bathing him?
3. Describe the scene at Joe's parents house when he arrives home after his father died.
4. Why does Howie wake Joe up after working all day on the railroad?
5. When is Joe's birthday; how did they celebrate; and what present did Glen give him one year? What came a few months after that present?
6. Why does Joe think being the way he is is worse than being in the womb?
7. How does Joe realize he has no left arm and how does he feel about it?
8. What does Joe see on the way home from the train station?
9. When did Joe become aware of the war and what events in the war occurred at that time?
10. What does Joe think guys should do when called up for the military?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)