|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe think is the only important thing he has left?
(a) Thinking clearly.
(b) Feeling the nurse.
(c) Being awake.
(d) Having his mother there.
2. What does Jose want to know from the rest of the workers at the bakery?
(a) How to drive a car.
(b) How to get into the movies.
(c) How to quit his job gracefully.
(d) Where to get a map of Los Angeles.
3. Why doesn't Joe worry about lack of appetite?
(a) He wanted to lose weight.
(b) He wants to die anyway.
(c) They pump food in his stomach.
(d) He doesn't like army food.
4. How does Joe know time has passed?
(a) They's moved in to another place.
(b) The nurse told him.
(c) His stumps have healed.
(d) By his daily bath.
5. What does Joe finally realize towards the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He can't move his legs.
(b) He has lost his mother's letter.
(c) He is in America.
(d) He has lost both arms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joe think when he read THE LAST DAYS OF POMPEII?
2. How does Joe feel about the war?
3. What did the doctors use to put in a window of a guy who had his stomach blown away?
4. Why is Bill Bonham a failure?
5. What minor injury does Joe think about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Joe is feeling while working in the desert.
2. Who does Joe call out to in his nightmare and why?
3. What does Joe see on the way home from the train station?
4. As Joe's pain fades some what does he think about and how does he feel about being deaf?
5. What book did Joe read that gave him a nightmare and what was that nightmare?
6. What does Joe think when he thinks of his family and what does he see as the reality?
7. When did Joe become aware of the war and what events in the war occurred at that time?
8. Why does Joe think being the way he is is worse than being in the womb?
9. Why does he worry about a ring? What kind of ring is it and who gave it to him?
10. How does Joe think he might be able to tell being awake and asleep with no eyes?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)