|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jose's ethnic background?
(d) Puerto Rican.
2. What does Joe go to the store for on Saturdays?
(a) Buy his mother soap.
(b) To bring his father home.
(c) To buy candy for his sisters.
(d) Buy hamburgers for dinner.
3. What is happening in Joe's mind as he lays in bed?
(a) He is still in the foxhole.
(b) He hasn't got enough of a mind to think.
(c) All his memories are melting together.
(d) He thinks about when he's going to leave the hospital.
4. What does Joe want the nurses to do so he doesn't feel like he's drowning?
(a) To prop him up.
(b) To wipe the sweat off his face.
(c) To put him in a chair.
(d) To lay him out flat.
5. What does Joe realize when he asks Jose to come closer to him?
(a) Jose is dead.
(b) Jose is in Germany.
(c) He's been dreaming.
(d) Jose can't walk either.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe think is the only important thing he has left?
2. What is the biggest event of the year in Joe's hometown?
3. How much did the bread sacks Joe lifted at the bakery weigh?
4. What did his parents use when they were courting?
5. How does Joe feel about the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Joe's pain fades some what does he think about and how does he feel about being deaf?
2. What does Joe think about doctors and war?
3. Describe the scene at the rail station when Joe is leaving for the army.
4. Why does he worry about a ring? What kind of ring is it and who gave it to him?
5. What does Joe think about to try and use his mind?
6. Why does Howie wake Joe up after working all day on the railroad?
7. Describe the scene at Joe's parents house when he arrives home after his father died.
8. Why does Bonham consider himself a slave and what does he ask God?
9. Why doesn't Joe worry about loss of appetite?
10. What does a doctor do when Joe keeps tapping and what does Joe think is the reason why?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)