|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the doctors use to put in a window of a guy who had his stomach blown away?
(a) Pig's skin.
(c) Cadaver skin.
(d) A graft from his brother.
2. What does Glen Hogan give Joe for his birthday one year?
(a) A new pocket knife.
(b) Brown silk socks.
(c) A leather jacket.
(d) A blue tie.
3. When does the first snowfall usually happen where Joe grew up?
(b) Valentine's Day.
(c) New Years Day.
4. What is happening in Joe's mind as he lays in bed?
(a) He thinks about when he's going to leave the hospital.
(b) He hasn't got enough of a mind to think.
(c) He is still in the foxhole.
(d) All his memories are melting together.
5. Why is Bill Bonham a failure?
(a) He can't make money.
(b) He can't feed his family.
(c) He doesn't hunt.
(d) He can't catch any fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joe hear about Harper and his fortunes in the war?
2. What does Joe think about his head as he lays in the bed?
3. What kind of flowers do the kids gather for May Day?
4. How does Joe finally get fired?
5. What does Joe think is his duty towards Diane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two problems Jose talks to the guys at the bakery about?
2. Who is the pilot who comes to Joe's hometown, what does he do and what does the superintendent of schools say about airplanes?
3. What does Joe think guys should do when called up for the military?
4. Why does Joe wish someone would pick up the phone and what happens when they do?
5. Where does Joe see Jose while he's lying in bed, what does he ask him and what does Joe figure out?
6. Why does Joe think he is dying and why does he know he is alive?
7. Describe the scene at Joe's parents house when he arrives home after his father died.
8. What idea does Pinky Carson come up with for Jose and how does that work out?
9. Why doesn't Joe worry about loss of appetite?
10. Describe the scene at the rail station when Joe is leaving for the army.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)