|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he finds out he has no mouth, teeth or palate what does he realize?
(a) He can't find his tongue.
(b) He can't swallow.
(c) He is hungry.
(d) He is dead.
2. Why does Bonham think he is dying?
(a) He is hot and shaky.
(b) He is being ignored by the hospital staff.
(c) He wants to die so he denies he can live.
(d) No one can lose so much of oneself and live.
3. Why does Joe Bonham wish someone would pick up the phone?
(a) He is expecting a call.
(b) He has a terrible headache.
(c) He hates phones on general principle.
(d) He hates the tone the phone makes.
4. What does Joe think you die for in war?
(d) Your woman.
5. What does Joe decide when he first figures out he has no arms?
(a) He can use his mouth.
(b) He can get hooks.
(c) He will have to have a patient wife.
(d) He can learn to use his legs.
6. What happened to the coal miner who returned home badly wounded?
(a) His wife killed him.
(b) He died from eating an apple.
(c) He shot himself.
(d) He fell into a coal mine.
7. When does the first snowfall usually happen where Joe grew up?
(c) Valentine's Day.
(d) New Years Day.
8. What does Joe think he has to do first in order to kill himself?
(a) Learn to communicate.
(b) Get a hold of a gun.
(c) Make friends with the nurse.
(d) Flip over.
9. What happened to Joe's left arm?
(a) It was amputated at the elbow.
(b) It was broken.
(c) It was cut off at the shoulder.
(d) It was burned badly.
10. What does Joe finally realize towards the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He is in America.
(b) He has lost both arms.
(c) He has lost his mother's letter.
(d) He can't move his legs.
11. Why does Howie wake Joe up when they have gone to bed for the night?
(a) To give him dinner.
(b) To get him to go out to the bar.
(c) To show him a telegram.
(d) To get him to stop snoring.
12. What does Joe see in the snow as he thinks of his life?
(a) His sisters building a snowman.
(b) His brother throwing snowballs at him.
(c) His father pulling his mother on a sled.
(d) The branches of the trees covered in white.
13. What is Jose's ethnic background?
(a) Puerto Rican.
14. What does Joe wonder about when he thinks of the foxhole?
(a) The other guys in it.
(b) How the Germans found them.
(c) Whether it was American bombs.
(d) What hit them.
15. What did Joe think when he read THE LAST DAYS OF POMPEII?
(a) It was a quick, easy way to die.
(b) That it must have been awful for the people.
(c) A mountain had blown up trapping him in the lava.
(d) That he would never live near a volcano.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joe would think he was dead except why?
2. What famous person flies into Joe's hometown one day?
3. How many days has Joe been sick in his life?
4. Why are Joe and Howie laying track in the desert?
5. What does Joe want the nurses to do so he doesn't feel like he's drowning?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)