|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Glen Hogan give Joe for his birthday one year?
(a) A new pocket knife.
(b) A blue tie.
(c) Brown silk socks.
(d) A leather jacket.
2. Why does Bonham think he is dying?
(a) He wants to die so he denies he can live.
(b) No one can lose so much of oneself and live.
(c) He is hot and shaky.
(d) He is being ignored by the hospital staff.
3. What does Joe think about his head as he lays in the bed?
(a) The shell should have hit his head.
(b) It is too heavy.
(c) It is too badly injured for him to live.
(d) It is too messed up.
4. What is Jose's ethnic background?
(c) Puerto Rican.
5. Why does Joe not understand how he is alive?
(a) He was in a foxhole away from medical help.
(b) He has always been lucky.
(c) He didn't think medicine was so far advanced.
(d) So many people die of such small things.
6. What does Joe wonder about when he thinks of the foxhole?
(a) How the Germans found them.
(b) The other guys in it.
(c) What hit them.
(d) Whether it was American bombs.
7. What does Joe do when Harper tells him Diane went out with Hogan?
(a) Asks Diane if it is the truth.
(b) Gets drunk.
(c) Hit him and call him a liar.
(d) Goes after Hogan.
8. What is Joe trying to stop?
(a) From wanting to see his mother.
(b) From thinking.
(c) From wondering where he is.
(d) All the fading, rushing, smothering, sinking, and rising.
9. What did Joe think when he read THE LAST DAYS OF POMPEII?
(a) That it must have been awful for the people.
(b) A mountain had blown up trapping him in the lava.
(c) That he would never live near a volcano.
(d) It was a quick, easy way to die.
10. When does the first snowfall usually happen where Joe grew up?
(c) New Years Day.
(d) Valentine's Day.
11. With what does Joe compare his situation right now?
(a) Losing his best friend.
(b) When his father died.
(c) Being stuck in bed with a broken leg.
(d) Being back in the womb.
12. When he wants to kill himself by not breathing what does he find out?
(a) He is strapped down so he can't move.
(b) He can't hold his breath.
(c) He passes out before dying.
(d) His breathing is beyond his control.
13. What does Joe think he should have done about Diane instead rushing out to work in the desert?
(a) Found another girl.
(b) Forgiven her.
(c) Moved to New York.
(d) Beaten up Hogan.
14. What does Joe wish as he goes to bed?
(a) They would take him out and shoot him.
(b) That he had a dog.
(c) That Diane knew he was home.
(d) That his mother would talk with him about Diane.
15. What does Joe realize when he asks Jose to come closer to him?
(a) Jose can't walk either.
(b) Jose is dead.
(c) He's been dreaming.
(d) Jose is in Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does his girlfriend's father do in the morning on his departure day?
2. What happens when Joe tries to yell?
3. Why is Bill Bonham a failure?
4. What does Joe think would be wonderful when he was thinking about the nurse and the rat?
5. How does Joe feel when the nurse is washing him?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)