|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Howie wake Joe up when they have gone to bed for the night?
(a) To show him a telegram.
(b) To give him dinner.
(c) To get him to go out to the bar.
(d) To get him to stop snoring.
2. With what does Joe compare his situation right now?
(a) When his father died.
(b) Being back in the womb.
(c) Losing his best friend.
(d) Being stuck in bed with a broken leg.
3. How does Joe feel about Harper as he is on his way back home from the desert?
(a) He's probably dating Diane too.
(b) He might have been telling the truth.
(c) He's too good a friend to lose over a woman.
(d) He shouldn't have told Joe.
4. Where did Joe and his friends swim in Colorado?
(a) In a big ditch.
(b) In the river.
(c) At a lake.
(d) A a swimming hole.
5. When does Joe become aware of the war?
(a) When his father is called up.
(b) When he hears it on the radio.
(c) When he is drafted.
(d) When they move to Los Angeles.
6. Why does Joe think he is masked?
(a) So his face will heal.
(b) To keep infection down.
(c) They haven't taken off the bandages yet.
(d) So the nurses won't have to look at him.
7. What did Joe hear about Harper and his fortunes in the war?
(a) He was never drafted.
(b) He was killed.
(c) He was made a captain.
(d) He was injured and sent home.
8. How many days has Joe been sick in his life?
(d) Three times.
9. What does Joe ask Kareen in his dream?
(a) To have a child with him.
(b) To marry him.
(c) To come find him.
(d) To hold her head up so she won't drown.
10. What does Joe decide when he first figures out he has no arms?
(a) He will have to have a patient wife.
(b) He can use his mouth.
(c) He can learn to use his legs.
(d) He can get hooks.
11. What does Joe realize that he can't tell the difference between?
(a) Dreaming and being awake.
(b) Hot and cold.
(c) Pain and feeling good.
(d) Night and day.
12. How does Joe figure he can communicate since he is deaf?
(a) In writing.
(b) With sign language.
(c) He will use telepathy.
(d) He can still talk.
13. What does Joe wonder about when he thinks of the foxhole?
(a) The other guys in it.
(b) Whether it was American bombs.
(c) How the Germans found them.
(d) What hit them.
14. What does Superintendent of School Hargraves say about the airplane?
(a) It makes a lot of smoke and stinks.
(b) It's mankind's greatest step forward in a hundred years.
(c) It's too noisy.
(d) Man wasn't made to fly.
15. Why does Bonham think he is dying?
(a) He is hot and shaky.
(b) He wants to die so he denies he can live.
(c) No one can lose so much of oneself and live.
(d) He is being ignored by the hospital staff.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the workers tell Jose to do?
2. How much did the bread sacks Joe lifted at the bakery weigh?
3. Joe would think he was dead except why?
4. What does Joe do when Harper tells him Diane went out with Hogan?
5. What is Joe trying to figure out how to tell his father when they go camping?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)