|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jose want to know from the rest of the workers at the bakery?
(a) How to drive a car.
(b) How to quit his job gracefully.
(c) How to get into the movies.
(d) Where to get a map of Los Angeles.
2. Why does Joe Bonham wish someone would pick up the phone?
(a) He has a terrible headache.
(b) He hates the tone the phone makes.
(c) He is expecting a call.
(d) He hates phones on general principle.
3. What skill do Joe and his friends master?
(a) Smoking cigarettes with style.
(b) Asking a girl on a date.
(c) Dancing with the girls.
(d) Hunting deer and elk.
4. What kind of flowers do the kids gather for May Day?
5. What does Joe wonder about when he thinks of the foxhole?
(a) The other guys in it.
(b) Whether it was American bombs.
(c) How the Germans found them.
(d) What hit them.
6. What does Joe think about the fact that they cut off his arm?
(a) He's glad it wasn't his right arm.
(b) He still has the right arm.
(c) They should have asked him first.
(d) He can always walk.
7. What does Joe do when Harper tells him Diane went out with Hogan?
(a) Gets drunk.
(b) Goes after Hogan.
(c) Hit him and call him a liar.
(d) Asks Diane if it is the truth.
8. Why doesn't Joe get tired?
(a) He has no arms or legs to move.
(b) That part of his brain was damaged.
(c) He's no longer working.
(d) He can't tell when it's night.
9. What did his girlfriend ask him when he was drafted?
(a) Not to go.
(b) To carry her scarf.
(c) To go to Canada.
(d) To run away to Mexico.
10. How many days has Joe been sick in his life?
(c) Three times.
11. Why are Joe and Howie laying track in the desert?
(a) Things were out of control at home.
(b) His father got him the job.
(c) They need money for school.
(d) They want to build up their muscles.
12. What does Glen Hogan give Joe for his birthday one year?
(a) Brown silk socks.
(b) A leather jacket.
(c) A new pocket knife.
(d) A blue tie.
13. Where did Joe and his father go camping when he was young?
(a) In the high pine and lake country.
(b) In Utah.
(c) At the national forest near their house.
(d) Near the Canadian border.
14. With what does Joe compare his situation right now?
(a) Losing his best friend.
(b) When his father died.
(c) Being stuck in bed with a broken leg.
(d) Being back in the womb.
15. What does his girlfriend's father tell him to do the night before he leaves?
(a) To marry his daughter.
(b) To take her to bed.
(c) To get some sleep.
(d) To get his daughter with child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe say he is as far as a lottery for life?
2. What minor injury does Joe think about?
3. What does Joe weep about for the first time?
4. Why does Bonham think he is dying?
5. Why does Joe think he may be lucky not having a nose?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)