|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joe feel about Harper as he is on his way back home from the desert?
(a) He's probably dating Diane too.
(b) He shouldn't have told Joe.
(c) He's too good a friend to lose over a woman.
(d) He might have been telling the truth.
2. What does Joe go to the store for on Saturdays?
(a) Buy his mother soap.
(b) To bring his father home.
(c) To buy candy for his sisters.
(d) Buy hamburgers for dinner.
3. How does Joe feel when the nurse is washing him?
(b) In pain.
(d) Safe and snug.
4. What does Glen Hogan give Joe for his birthday one year?
(a) A blue tie.
(b) A new pocket knife.
(c) A leather jacket.
(d) Brown silk socks.
5. What does Joe think would be wonderful when he was thinking about the nurse and the rat?
(a) That nothing is real.
(b) If they were the same person.
(c) That he would hear.
(d) That it's his mother bathing him.
6. What famous person flies into Joe's hometown one day?
(a) Daredevil pilot Lincoln Beechy.
(b) Amelia Earhart.
(c) Charles Lindbergh.
(d) David Grintings.
7. Why does Bonham think he is dying?
(a) He is being ignored by the hospital staff.
(b) No one can lose so much of oneself and live.
(c) He wants to die so he denies he can live.
(d) He is hot and shaky.
8. How does Joe finally get fired?
(a) He burns up a thousand hot cross buns.
(b) He asks the boss's daughter out.
(c) He pushes over a cart of blueberry pies.
(d) He slaps the boss.
9. How much did the bread sacks Joe lifted at the bakery weigh?
(a) 50 pounds.
(b) 90 pounds.
(c) 30 pounds.
(d) 100 pounds.
10. Why does Joe not understand how he is alive?
(a) He was in a foxhole away from medical help.
(b) He has always been lucky.
(c) He didn't think medicine was so far advanced.
(d) So many people die of such small things.
11. How does Joe figure he can communicate since he is deaf?
(a) He can still talk.
(b) He will use telepathy.
(c) In writing.
(d) With sign language.
12. Why is Joe not too upset about being deaf?
(a) He didn't like music.
(b) His girlfriend can't nag him.
(c) He won't be able to hear the war.
(d) His brother can't yell at him.
13. What does Joe decide when he first figures out he has no arms?
(a) He can get hooks.
(b) He can learn to use his legs.
(c) He will have to have a patient wife.
(d) He can use his mouth.
14. What does Joe see when he walks by Diane's house?
(a) Diane and her mother on the front porch.
(b) Harper and Diane kissing.
(c) Diane sitting on the porch swing.
(d) Hogan and Diane kissing.
15. What does his girlfriend's father do in the morning on his departure day?
(a) Makes him breakfast.
(b) Gives him his old army jacket.
(c) Gives him a haircut.
(d) Takes him to a restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe realize when he tries to kick the blankets off?
2. What is Joe trying to stop?
3. What does Joe finally realize towards the end of Chapter 3?
4. What is Jose's ethnic background?
5. What does Joe finally do after thinking about a lottery?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)