|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Joe and his friends swim in Colorado?
(a) In a big ditch.
(b) At a lake.
(c) In the river.
(d) A a swimming hole.
2. What did the doctors use to put in a window of a guy who had his stomach blown away?
(a) A graft from his brother.
(b) Cadaver skin.
(c) Pig's skin.
3. What do the workers tell Jose to do?
(a) Knock the boss over.
(b) Drop a bunch of pies.
(c) Spit in the bread dough in front of the boss.
(d) Leave the water running in the kitchen.
4. What happened to the coal miner who returned home badly wounded?
(a) He shot himself.
(b) He died from eating an apple.
(c) He fell into a coal mine.
(d) His wife killed him.
5. Where did Joe and his father go camping when he was young?
(a) At the national forest near their house.
(b) In the high pine and lake country.
(c) In Utah.
(d) Near the Canadian border.
6. What is happening in Joe's mind as he lays in bed?
(a) All his memories are melting together.
(b) He thinks about when he's going to leave the hospital.
(c) He is still in the foxhole.
(d) He hasn't got enough of a mind to think.
7. What does Joe think is his duty towards Diane?
(a) To let her go so she can date who she wants.
(b) To tell her father.
(c) To marry her.
(d) To warn her about Hogan.
8. What does Joe find out when someone finally answers the phone?
(a) His girlfriend is in the hospital.
(b) His mother has died.
(c) His younger sister is gone.
(d) His father has died.
9. What does Joe think would be wonderful when he was thinking about the nurse and the rat?
(a) That nothing is real.
(b) That he would hear.
(c) That it's his mother bathing him.
(d) If they were the same person.
10. Why does Howie wake Joe up when they have gone to bed for the night?
(a) To get him to stop snoring.
(b) To get him to go out to the bar.
(c) To show him a telegram.
(d) To give him dinner.
11. After he finds out he has no mouth, teeth or palate what does he realize?
(a) He can't find his tongue.
(b) He is hungry.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He can't swallow.
12. What does Joe finally do after thinking about a lottery?
(a) Kills himself.
(b) Rolls over.
(c) Calms down and thinks.
(d) Tries to cry.
13. When he wants to kill himself by not breathing what does he find out?
(a) He is strapped down so he can't move.
(b) He passes out before dying.
(c) He can't hold his breath.
(d) His breathing is beyond his control.
14. What does Joe think about the fact that they cut off his arm?
(a) They should have asked him first.
(b) He still has the right arm.
(c) He can always walk.
(d) He's glad it wasn't his right arm.
15. How does Joe feel about the war?
(a) He's ready to go.
(b) He doesn't think it has anything to do with him.
(c) He doesn't have an opinion.
(d) He thinks it will be interesting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Joe get tired?
2. What happened to Joe's left arm?
3. Why does Joe Bonham wish someone would pick up the phone?
4. What does Joe feel under all of his bandages?
5. What did his girlfriend ask him when he was drafted?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)