|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the coal miner who returned home badly wounded?
(a) He shot himself.
(b) His wife killed him.
(c) He fell into a coal mine.
(d) He died from eating an apple.
2. How does Joe figure out that he is deaf?
(a) He can's hear any music.
(b) He can't hear his mother.
(c) He can't hear his pulse.
(d) He can't hear the doctors.
3. What does his girlfriend's father tell him to do the night before he leaves?
(a) To get some sleep.
(b) To get his daughter with child.
(c) To take her to bed.
(d) To marry his daughter.
4. What is Joe trying to stop?
(a) All the fading, rushing, smothering, sinking, and rising.
(b) From wondering where he is.
(c) From wanting to see his mother.
(d) From thinking.
5. Why doesn't Joe worry about lack of appetite?
(a) He wanted to lose weight.
(b) They pump food in his stomach.
(c) He wants to die anyway.
(d) He doesn't like army food.
6. What did Joe think when he read THE LAST DAYS OF POMPEII?
(a) It was a quick, easy way to die.
(b) A mountain had blown up trapping him in the lava.
(c) That it must have been awful for the people.
(d) That he would never live near a volcano.
7. What kind of flowers do the kids gather for May Day?
8. Why does Joe Bonham wish someone would pick up the phone?
(a) He hates the tone the phone makes.
(b) He has a terrible headache.
(c) He is expecting a call.
(d) He hates phones on general principle.
9. What does Joe decide when he figures out he's deaf?
(a) He didn't like music anyway.
(b) He won't have to listen to his wife nag.
(c) He can get a hearing aid.
(d) He can learn to read lips.
10. How does Joe know time has passed?
(a) The nurse told him.
(b) By his daily bath.
(c) They's moved in to another place.
(d) His stumps have healed.
11. What did Joe hear about Harper and his fortunes in the war?
(a) He was made a captain.
(b) He was injured and sent home.
(c) He was never drafted.
(d) He was killed.
12. What does Joe realize when he tries to kick the blankets off?
(a) There are no blankets on him.
(b) He's lost his legs too.
(c) He is strapped down.
(d) They are tucked under the mattress.
13. How does Joe figure he can communicate since he is deaf?
(a) He can still talk.
(b) With sign language.
(c) In writing.
(d) He will use telepathy.
14. What does Joe think about the fact that they cut off his arm?
(a) He still has the right arm.
(b) He's glad it wasn't his right arm.
(c) He can always walk.
(d) They should have asked him first.
15. What happens when Joe tries to yell?
(a) He has a sore throat.
(b) He has no tongue.
(c) His larynx is gone.
(d) He realizes he has no mouth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe think you die for in war?
2. What does his girlfriend's father do in the morning on his departure day?
3. What does Joe think about his head as he lays in the bed?
4. Why won't the doctors kill Joe now?
5. Why are Joe and Howie laying track in the desert?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)