|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Howie wake Joe up when they have gone to bed for the night?
(a) To get him to stop snoring.
(b) To give him dinner.
(c) To get him to go out to the bar.
(d) To show him a telegram.
2. What does Joe finally do after thinking about a lottery?
(a) Rolls over.
(b) Tries to cry.
(c) Kills himself.
(d) Calms down and thinks.
3. What happened to Joe's left arm?
(a) It was amputated at the elbow.
(b) It was cut off at the shoulder.
(c) It was burned badly.
(d) It was broken.
4. How does Joe know time has passed?
(a) His stumps have healed.
(b) They's moved in to another place.
(c) The nurse told him.
(d) By his daily bath.
5. Why doesn't Joe get tired?
(a) That part of his brain was damaged.
(b) He has no arms or legs to move.
(c) He's no longer working.
(d) He can't tell when it's night.
6. What does Joe think war is for the doctors?
(c) They are indifferent to it.
7. What does Joe want the nurses to do so he doesn't feel like he's drowning?
(a) To wipe the sweat off his face.
(b) To lay him out flat.
(c) To prop him up.
(d) To put him in a chair.
8. What did Joe think when he read THE LAST DAYS OF POMPEII?
(a) A mountain had blown up trapping him in the lava.
(b) It was a quick, easy way to die.
(c) That he would never live near a volcano.
(d) That it must have been awful for the people.
9. What does Joe realize when he tries to kick the blankets off?
(a) There are no blankets on him.
(b) He's lost his legs too.
(c) They are tucked under the mattress.
(d) He is strapped down.
10. What kind of flowers do the kids gather for May Day?
11. What does Joe wonder about when he thinks of the foxhole?
(a) The other guys in it.
(b) Whether it was American bombs.
(c) How the Germans found them.
(d) What hit them.
12. What does Joe want to do most as he is lying in bed injured?
(a) To get up and walk.
(b) To go home.
(c) To die.
(d) To hear someone talk.
13. What does Joe see in the snow as he thinks of his life?
(a) The branches of the trees covered in white.
(b) His father pulling his mother on a sled.
(c) His sisters building a snowman.
(d) His brother throwing snowballs at him.
14. What did the doctors use to put in a window of a guy who had his stomach blown away?
(a) Cadaver skin.
(b) Pig's skin.
(d) A graft from his brother.
15. Why does Joe think he is masked?
(a) They haven't taken off the bandages yet.
(b) So the nurses won't have to look at him.
(c) To keep infection down.
(d) So his face will heal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joe trying to figure out how to tell his father when they go camping?
2. Where is the desert in which Joe is working?
3. What does Joe realize that he can't tell the difference between?
4. What does Joe think he should have done about Diane instead rushing out to work in the desert?
5. What skill do Joe and his friends master?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)