|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joe Bonham wish someone would pick up the phone?
(a) He is expecting a call.
(b) He has a terrible headache.
(c) He hates the tone the phone makes.
(d) He hates phones on general principle.
2. What does Joe think would be wonderful when he was thinking about the nurse and the rat?
(a) That nothing is real.
(b) That it's his mother bathing him.
(c) If they were the same person.
(d) That he would hear.
3. What is Jose's ethnic background?
(c) Puerto Rican.
4. How does Joe feel when the nurse is washing him?
(a) Safe and snug.
(c) In pain.
5. What happens when Joe tries to yell?
(a) He realizes he has no mouth.
(b) He has no tongue.
(c) His larynx is gone.
(d) He has a sore throat.
6. Why doesn't Joe worry about lack of appetite?
(a) He doesn't like army food.
(b) They pump food in his stomach.
(c) He wants to die anyway.
(d) He wanted to lose weight.
7. What did the doctors use to put in a window of a guy who had his stomach blown away?
(b) A graft from his brother.
(c) Pig's skin.
(d) Cadaver skin.
8. How does Joe figure out that he is deaf?
(a) He can's hear any music.
(b) He can't hear the doctors.
(c) He can't hear his mother.
(d) He can't hear his pulse.
9. How does Joe know time has passed?
(a) The nurse told him.
(b) His stumps have healed.
(c) They's moved in to another place.
(d) By his daily bath.
10. What minor injury does Joe think about?
(a) A scrap on his stomach.
(b) Joe has only major injuries.
(c) A hole in his side.
(d) A bruise on the back of his head.
11. What did Joe's father ask him when he arrives at home?
(a) If he is staying in for the night.
(b) Why he worked only one day on the rail job.
(c) Where Diane is.
(d) If he can go to the store.
12. What does Joe think about his head as he lays in the bed?
(a) It is too badly injured for him to live.
(b) It is too heavy.
(c) It is too messed up.
(d) The shell should have hit his head.
13. What does Glen Hogan give Joe for his birthday one year?
(a) Brown silk socks.
(b) A new pocket knife.
(c) A leather jacket.
(d) A blue tie.
14. Why is Joe not too upset about being deaf?
(a) His brother can't yell at him.
(b) His girlfriend can't nag him.
(c) He didn't like music.
(d) He won't be able to hear the war.
15. What does Joe finally realize towards the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He is in America.
(b) He can't move his legs.
(c) He has lost his mother's letter.
(d) He has lost both arms.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the bread sacks Joe lifted at the bakery weigh?
2. When does Joe become aware of the war?
3. Where did Joe and his friends swim in Colorado?
4. Why does Joe not understand how he is alive?
5. After he finds out he has no mouth, teeth or palate what does he realize?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)