|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joe feel about the war?
(a) He thinks it will be interesting.
(b) He's ready to go.
(c) He doesn't have an opinion.
(d) He doesn't think it has anything to do with him.
2. In what month is Joe's birthday?
3. What does Joe weep about for the first time?
(a) His mother's death.
(b) Going to war.
(c) A girl.
(d) Working in the desert.
4. What happened to Joe's left arm?
(a) It was cut off at the shoulder.
(b) It was broken.
(c) It was burned badly.
(d) It was amputated at the elbow.
5. Why are Joe and Howie laying track in the desert?
(a) They want to build up their muscles.
(b) His father got him the job.
(c) Things were out of control at home.
(d) They need money for school.
6. What does Joe do when he finally realizes the full extent of his injuries?
(a) He tries to figure out how to die.
(b) He calls for Kareen.
(c) He calls out to his mother to come help him.
(d) He sobs.
7. What does Joe see when he walks by Diane's house?
(a) Diane sitting on the porch swing.
(b) Diane and her mother on the front porch.
(c) Harper and Diane kissing.
(d) Hogan and Diane kissing.
8. What did Joe think when he read THE LAST DAYS OF POMPEII?
(a) A mountain had blown up trapping him in the lava.
(b) That it must have been awful for the people.
(c) It was a quick, easy way to die.
(d) That he would never live near a volcano.
9. What does Joe feel under all of his bandages?
(d) Feeling a burning sensation.
10. After he finds out he has no mouth, teeth or palate what does he realize?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He can't find his tongue.
(c) He is hungry.
(d) He can't swallow.
11. What does Joe find out when someone finally answers the phone?
(a) His younger sister is gone.
(b) His father has died.
(c) His mother has died.
(d) His girlfriend is in the hospital.
12. How does Joe feel when the nurse is washing him?
(a) Safe and snug.
(c) In pain.
13. What does Joe think is crawling on him?
(a) A snake.
(b) A mosquito.
(c) A trench rat.
(d) A cockroach.
14. What is Joe trying to figure out how to tell his father when they go camping?
(a) He wants to go hunting.
(b) He hates to camp.
(c) He hates to fish.
(d) Bill Harper is coming to fish with Joe.
15. What is Jose's ethnic background?
(c) Puerto Rican.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe realize when he tries to kick the blankets off?
2. What does Joe think is the only important thing he has left?
3. How does Joe figure out that he is deaf?
4. Why does Joe Bonham wish someone would pick up the phone?
5. What does Joe want the nurses to do so he doesn't feel like he's drowning?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)