|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bonham think he is dying?
(a) He wants to die so he denies he can live.
(b) No one can lose so much of oneself and live.
(c) He is being ignored by the hospital staff.
(d) He is hot and shaky.
2. What does Joe decide when he first figures out he has no arms?
(a) He can learn to use his legs.
(b) He will have to have a patient wife.
(c) He can use his mouth.
(d) He can get hooks.
3. What does Joe finally do after thinking about a lottery?
(a) Rolls over.
(b) Kills himself.
(c) Tries to cry.
(d) Calms down and thinks.
4. What does Joe think about the fact that they cut off his arm?
(a) He's glad it wasn't his right arm.
(b) He can always walk.
(c) He still has the right arm.
(d) They should have asked him first.
5. How does Joe figure he can communicate since he is deaf?
(a) With sign language.
(b) In writing.
(c) He will use telepathy.
(d) He can still talk.
6. Why does Joe not understand how he is alive?
(a) He was in a foxhole away from medical help.
(b) He didn't think medicine was so far advanced.
(c) He has always been lucky.
(d) So many people die of such small things.
7. What does Joe wonder about when he thinks of the foxhole?
(a) Whether it was American bombs.
(b) What hit them.
(c) How the Germans found them.
(d) The other guys in it.
8. What does his girlfriend's father do in the morning on his departure day?
(a) Gives him a haircut.
(b) Makes him breakfast.
(c) Gives him his old army jacket.
(d) Takes him to a restaurant.
9. What happened to the coal miner who returned home badly wounded?
(a) His wife killed him.
(b) He shot himself.
(c) He fell into a coal mine.
(d) He died from eating an apple.
10. What does Joe finally realize towards the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He has lost both arms.
(b) He can't move his legs.
(c) He is in America.
(d) He has lost his mother's letter.
11. What does Joe think you die for in war?
(c) Your woman.
12. What does Joe weep about for the first time?
(a) Going to war.
(b) A girl.
(c) His mother's death.
(d) Working in the desert.
13. What does Joe think would be wonderful when he was thinking about the nurse and the rat?
(a) That it's his mother bathing him.
(b) That nothing is real.
(c) That he would hear.
(d) If they were the same person.
14. How many days has Joe been sick in his life?
(b) Three times.
15. What happens when Joe tries to yell?
(a) His larynx is gone.
(b) He has no tongue.
(c) He realizes he has no mouth.
(d) He has a sore throat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joe know time has passed?
2. What did his parents use when they were courting?
3. Why does Joe think he may be lucky not having a nose?
4. What do the doctors consider Joe to be?
5. What does Joe go to the store for on Saturdays?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)