|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe weep about for the first time?
(a) Going to war.
(b) His mother's death.
(c) A girl.
(d) Working in the desert.
2. What does Joe realize when he asks Jose to come closer to him?
(a) He's been dreaming.
(b) Jose can't walk either.
(c) Jose is dead.
(d) Jose is in Germany.
3. Where did Joe and his father go camping when he was young?
(a) At the national forest near their house.
(b) In the high pine and lake country.
(c) In Utah.
(d) Near the Canadian border.
4. Why doesn't Joe get tired?
(a) He's no longer working.
(b) That part of his brain was damaged.
(c) He can't tell when it's night.
(d) He has no arms or legs to move.
5. Joe would think he was dead except why?
(a) He shouldn't go to hell and where he is must be hell.
(b) He can't see anyone else.
(c) He can feel his breathing.
(d) He is thinking and curious.
6. What does Glen Hogan give Joe for his birthday one year?
(a) A new pocket knife.
(b) Brown silk socks.
(c) A leather jacket.
(d) A blue tie.
7. What type of musical instrument does Joe's mother play?
8. What did his girlfriend ask him when he was drafted?
(a) To run away to Mexico.
(b) To carry her scarf.
(c) Not to go.
(d) To go to Canada.
9. How does Joe feel about the war?
(a) He doesn't think it has anything to do with him.
(b) He doesn't have an opinion.
(c) He thinks it will be interesting.
(d) He's ready to go.
10. What does Joe decide when he figures out he's deaf?
(a) He can get a hearing aid.
(b) He won't have to listen to his wife nag.
(c) He didn't like music anyway.
(d) He can learn to read lips.
11. What does Joe want the nurses to do so he doesn't feel like he's drowning?
(a) To lay him out flat.
(b) To wipe the sweat off his face.
(c) To prop him up.
(d) To put him in a chair.
12. When does the first snowfall usually happen where Joe grew up?
(b) New Years Day.
(d) Valentine's Day.
13. Why are Joe and Howie laying track in the desert?
(a) They want to build up their muscles.
(b) His father got him the job.
(c) They need money for school.
(d) Things were out of control at home.
14. Where did Joe and his friends swim in Colorado?
(a) In the river.
(b) A a swimming hole.
(c) At a lake.
(d) In a big ditch.
15. What does Joe think he has to do first in order to kill himself?
(a) Make friends with the nurse.
(b) Learn to communicate.
(c) Flip over.
(d) Get a hold of a gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bonham think he is dying?
2. What did the doctors use to put in a window of a guy who had his stomach blown away?
3. After he finds out he has no mouth, teeth or palate what does he realize?
4. What does Joe think is his duty towards Diane?
5. Why does Joe not understand how he is alive?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)