|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Joe trying to stop?
(a) From wondering where he is.
(b) From thinking.
(c) From wanting to see his mother.
(d) All the fading, rushing, smothering, sinking, and rising.
2. What does Joe see in the snow as he thinks of his life?
(a) The branches of the trees covered in white.
(b) His brother throwing snowballs at him.
(c) His sisters building a snowman.
(d) His father pulling his mother on a sled.
3. What does Joe see when he walks by Diane's house?
(a) Diane and her mother on the front porch.
(b) Diane sitting on the porch swing.
(c) Harper and Diane kissing.
(d) Hogan and Diane kissing.
4. After he finds out he has no mouth, teeth or palate what does he realize?
(a) He is hungry.
(b) He can't swallow.
(c) He can't find his tongue.
(d) He is dead.
5. What does Joe think he has to do first in order to kill himself?
(a) Make friends with the nurse.
(b) Get a hold of a gun.
(c) Flip over.
(d) Learn to communicate.
6. How does Joe finally get fired?
(a) He burns up a thousand hot cross buns.
(b) He slaps the boss.
(c) He pushes over a cart of blueberry pies.
(d) He asks the boss's daughter out.
7. What does Jose want to know from the rest of the workers at the bakery?
(a) How to get into the movies.
(b) Where to get a map of Los Angeles.
(c) How to quit his job gracefully.
(d) How to drive a car.
8. What do the doctors consider Joe to be?
(a) They don't think about him at all.
(b) Another casuality of war.
(c) An interesting problem.
(d) A thinking person.
9. What does Joe decide when he first figures out he has no arms?
(a) He will have to have a patient wife.
(b) He can use his mouth.
(c) He can get hooks.
(d) He can learn to use his legs.
10. What did the doctors use to put in a window of a guy who had his stomach blown away?
(b) Pig's skin.
(c) A graft from his brother.
(d) Cadaver skin.
11. Why does Joe think he is masked?
(a) So the nurses won't have to look at him.
(b) So his face will heal.
(c) They haven't taken off the bandages yet.
(d) To keep infection down.
12. What does Joe realize that he can't tell the difference between?
(a) Dreaming and being awake.
(b) Hot and cold.
(c) Night and day.
(d) Pain and feeling good.
13. What does Joe finally realize towards the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He has lost both arms.
(b) He can't move his legs.
(c) He is in America.
(d) He has lost his mother's letter.
14. What does Joe finally do after thinking about a lottery?
(a) Kills himself.
(b) Rolls over.
(c) Calms down and thinks.
(d) Tries to cry.
15. What does Joe wonder about when he thinks of the foxhole?
(a) The other guys in it.
(b) Whether it was American bombs.
(c) How the Germans found them.
(d) What hit them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the biggest event of the year in Joe's hometown?
2. Where is the desert in which Joe is working?
3. What does Joe think about the fact that they cut off his arm?
4. How does Joe figure he can communicate since he is deaf?
5. What does Joe say he is as far as a lottery for life?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)