|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he finds out he has no mouth, teeth or palate what does he realize?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He can't swallow.
(c) He is hungry.
(d) He can't find his tongue.
2. What does his girlfriend's father tell him to do the night before he leaves?
(a) To take her to bed.
(b) To marry his daughter.
(c) To get some sleep.
(d) To get his daughter with child.
3. How much did the bread sacks Joe lifted at the bakery weigh?
(a) 50 pounds.
(b) 30 pounds.
(c) 100 pounds.
(d) 90 pounds.
4. What does Joe do when he finally realizes the full extent of his injuries?
(a) He sobs.
(b) He tries to figure out how to die.
(c) He calls out to his mother to come help him.
(d) He calls for Kareen.
5. When he wants to kill himself by not breathing what does he find out?
(a) He can't hold his breath.
(b) He is strapped down so he can't move.
(c) His breathing is beyond his control.
(d) He passes out before dying.
6. How does Joe feel when the nurse is washing him?
(a) In pain.
(b) Safe and snug.
7. What type of musical instrument does Joe's mother play?
8. What does Joe think you die for in war?
(a) Your woman.
9. When does Joe become aware of the war?
(a) When he is drafted.
(b) When they move to Los Angeles.
(c) When his father is called up.
(d) When he hears it on the radio.
10. How does Joe feel about Harper as he is on his way back home from the desert?
(a) He's probably dating Diane too.
(b) He shouldn't have told Joe.
(c) He might have been telling the truth.
(d) He's too good a friend to lose over a woman.
11. What does Joe think about his head as he lays in the bed?
(a) The shell should have hit his head.
(b) It is too heavy.
(c) It is too messed up.
(d) It is too badly injured for him to live.
12. Why is Bill Bonham a failure?
(a) He can't catch any fish.
(b) He doesn't hunt.
(c) He can't feed his family.
(d) He can't make money.
13. How does Joe figure he can communicate since he is deaf?
(a) He will use telepathy.
(b) He can still talk.
(c) With sign language.
(d) In writing.
14. What does Joe go to the store for on Saturdays?
(a) To buy candy for his sisters.
(b) Buy hamburgers for dinner.
(c) To bring his father home.
(d) Buy his mother soap.
15. Where did Joe and his friends swim in Colorado?
(a) In a big ditch.
(b) A a swimming hole.
(c) In the river.
(d) At a lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe think he should have done about Diane instead rushing out to work in the desert?
2. What is happening in Joe's mind as he lays in bed?
3. What does Joe finally do after thinking about a lottery?
4. What does Glen Hogan give Joe for his birthday one year?
5. Where did Joe and his father go camping when he was young?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)