|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Joe not too upset about being deaf?
(a) His brother can't yell at him.
(b) He won't be able to hear the war.
(c) He didn't like music.
(d) His girlfriend can't nag him.
2. What does Joe realize when he tries to kick the blankets off?
(a) They are tucked under the mattress.
(b) He's lost his legs too.
(c) There are no blankets on him.
(d) He is strapped down.
3. What does Joe think is crawling on him?
(a) A trench rat.
(b) A cockroach.
(c) A mosquito.
(d) A snake.
4. Why does Joe Bonham wish someone would pick up the phone?
(a) He is expecting a call.
(b) He hates the tone the phone makes.
(c) He hates phones on general principle.
(d) He has a terrible headache.
5. How much did the bread sacks Joe lifted at the bakery weigh?
(a) 30 pounds.
(b) 50 pounds.
(c) 90 pounds.
(d) 100 pounds.
6. How does Joe figure out that he is deaf?
(a) He can't hear his pulse.
(b) He can's hear any music.
(c) He can't hear the doctors.
(d) He can't hear his mother.
7. What type of musical instrument does Joe's mother play?
8. Why does Bonham think he is dying?
(a) No one can lose so much of oneself and live.
(b) He is hot and shaky.
(c) He is being ignored by the hospital staff.
(d) He wants to die so he denies he can live.
9. What is the biggest event of the year in Joe's hometown?
(a) The harvest.
(c) The County Fair.
10. What does Joe weep about for the first time?
(a) Going to war.
(b) A girl.
(c) Working in the desert.
(d) His mother's death.
11. What is Jose's ethnic background?
(a) Puerto Rican.
12. How does Joe feel when the nurse is washing him?
(b) Safe and snug.
(d) In pain.
13. Why is Bill Bonham a failure?
(a) He can't catch any fish.
(b) He can't feed his family.
(c) He doesn't hunt.
(d) He can't make money.
14. What happened to the coal miner who returned home badly wounded?
(a) He fell into a coal mine.
(b) He shot himself.
(c) His wife killed him.
(d) He died from eating an apple.
15. What does Joe think about the fact that they cut off his arm?
(a) He can always walk.
(b) He still has the right arm.
(c) He's glad it wasn't his right arm.
(d) They should have asked him first.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the desert in which Joe is working?
2. What does Joe want the nurses to do so he doesn't feel like he's drowning?
3. Why are Joe and Howie laying track in the desert?
4. How does Joe finally get fired?
5. What does Joe see when he walks by Diane's house?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)