|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did the bread sacks Joe lifted at the bakery weigh?
(a) 90 pounds.
(b) 50 pounds.
(c) 30 pounds.
(d) 100 pounds.
2. How does Joe know time has passed?
(a) His stumps have healed.
(b) By his daily bath.
(c) The nurse told him.
(d) They's moved in to another place.
3. How does Joe feel when the nurse is washing him?
(a) In pain.
(b) Safe and snug.
4. What happens when Joe tries to yell?
(a) He realizes he has no mouth.
(b) He has a sore throat.
(c) He has no tongue.
(d) His larynx is gone.
5. What does Joe weep about for the first time?
(a) A girl.
(b) Working in the desert.
(c) Going to war.
(d) His mother's death.
6. Joe thinks a lot of guys go to war because of this.
(a) To see another country.
(c) To get away from a wife.
(d) Getting to kill.
7. What does Joe see in the snow as he thinks of his life?
(a) His father pulling his mother on a sled.
(b) His brother throwing snowballs at him.
(c) The branches of the trees covered in white.
(d) His sisters building a snowman.
8. With what does Joe compare his situation right now?
(a) When his father died.
(b) Being stuck in bed with a broken leg.
(c) Being back in the womb.
(d) Losing his best friend.
9. Where did Joe and his father go camping when he was young?
(a) In the high pine and lake country.
(b) In Utah.
(c) Near the Canadian border.
(d) At the national forest near their house.
10. What does Joe wonder about when he thinks of the foxhole?
(a) Whether it was American bombs.
(b) How the Germans found them.
(c) What hit them.
(d) The other guys in it.
11. What does Joe want the nurses to do so he doesn't feel like he's drowning?
(a) To wipe the sweat off his face.
(b) To prop him up.
(c) To lay him out flat.
(d) To put him in a chair.
12. What does Joe go to the store for on Saturdays?
(a) Buy hamburgers for dinner.
(b) Buy his mother soap.
(c) To buy candy for his sisters.
(d) To bring his father home.
13. What does Joe think would be wonderful when he was thinking about the nurse and the rat?
(a) That he would hear.
(b) If they were the same person.
(c) That it's his mother bathing him.
(d) That nothing is real.
14. What does his girlfriend's father tell him to do the night before he leaves?
(a) To get some sleep.
(b) To marry his daughter.
(c) To take her to bed.
(d) To get his daughter with child.
15. Why does Joe Bonham wish someone would pick up the phone?
(a) He hates phones on general principle.
(b) He is expecting a call.
(c) He hates the tone the phone makes.
(d) He has a terrible headache.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Howie wake Joe up when they have gone to bed for the night?
2. What did Joe hear about Harper and his fortunes in the war?
3. What does Joe say he is as far as a lottery for life?
4. How does Joe figure he can communicate since he is deaf?
5. Why does Joe think he is masked?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)