|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe want to do most as he is lying in bed injured?
(a) To go home.
(b) To get up and walk.
(c) To hear someone talk.
(d) To die.
2. How does Joe feel when the nurse is washing him?
(a) In pain.
(c) Safe and snug.
3. What is Jose's ethnic background?
(d) Puerto Rican.
4. What does Joe want the nurses to do so he doesn't feel like he's drowning?
(a) To wipe the sweat off his face.
(b) To put him in a chair.
(c) To prop him up.
(d) To lay him out flat.
5. Why won't the doctors kill Joe now?
(a) They need him.
(b) It's against Army regulations.
(c) It would be murder.
(d) They put too much work into him.
6. Where did Joe and his friends swim in Colorado?
(a) In the river.
(b) At a lake.
(c) A a swimming hole.
(d) In a big ditch.
7. What does Joe see in the snow as he thinks of his life?
(a) The branches of the trees covered in white.
(b) His brother throwing snowballs at him.
(c) His father pulling his mother on a sled.
(d) His sisters building a snowman.
8. Why does Joe think he is masked?
(a) To keep infection down.
(b) So the nurses won't have to look at him.
(c) So his face will heal.
(d) They haven't taken off the bandages yet.
9. What do the workers tell Jose to do?
(a) Spit in the bread dough in front of the boss.
(b) Drop a bunch of pies.
(c) Knock the boss over.
(d) Leave the water running in the kitchen.
10. How does Joe feel about the war?
(a) He doesn't have an opinion.
(b) He's ready to go.
(c) He thinks it will be interesting.
(d) He doesn't think it has anything to do with him.
11. In what month is Joe's birthday?
12. What does Joe do when he finally realizes the full extent of his injuries?
(a) He calls for Kareen.
(b) He calls out to his mother to come help him.
(c) He sobs.
(d) He tries to figure out how to die.
13. What did his girlfriend ask him when he was drafted?
(a) To go to Canada.
(b) To carry her scarf.
(c) Not to go.
(d) To run away to Mexico.
14. How does Joe figure out that he is deaf?
(a) He can't hear his pulse.
(b) He can't hear the doctors.
(c) He can's hear any music.
(d) He can't hear his mother.
15. What does Joe decide when he figures out he's deaf?
(a) He can get a hearing aid.
(b) He won't have to listen to his wife nag.
(c) He can learn to read lips.
(d) He didn't like music anyway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe realize when he asks Jose to come closer to him?
2. What does Joe think he has to do first in order to kill himself?
3. What does Joe weep about for the first time?
4. How does Joe know time has passed?
5. Why does Howie wake Joe up when they have gone to bed for the night?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)