|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joe figure he can communicate since he is deaf?
(a) He will use telepathy.
(b) In writing.
(c) He can still talk.
(d) With sign language.
2. How does Joe finally get fired?
(a) He burns up a thousand hot cross buns.
(b) He slaps the boss.
(c) He asks the boss's daughter out.
(d) He pushes over a cart of blueberry pies.
3. What is Joe trying to figure out how to tell his father when they go camping?
(a) Bill Harper is coming to fish with Joe.
(b) He hates to fish.
(c) He hates to camp.
(d) He wants to go hunting.
4. Where did Joe and his friends swim in Colorado?
(a) In the river.
(b) At a lake.
(c) In a big ditch.
(d) A a swimming hole.
5. What does Joe do when Harper tells him Diane went out with Hogan?
(a) Asks Diane if it is the truth.
(b) Goes after Hogan.
(c) Gets drunk.
(d) Hit him and call him a liar.
6. Why won't the doctors kill Joe now?
(a) It's against Army regulations.
(b) They need him.
(c) They put too much work into him.
(d) It would be murder.
7. Where is the desert in which Joe is working?
(d) New Mexico.
8. What does Joe think is his duty towards Diane?
(a) To marry her.
(b) To warn her about Hogan.
(c) To tell her father.
(d) To let her go so she can date who she wants.
9. What does Joe want the nurses to do so he doesn't feel like he's drowning?
(a) To prop him up.
(b) To put him in a chair.
(c) To lay him out flat.
(d) To wipe the sweat off his face.
10. What did his girlfriend ask him when he was drafted?
(a) Not to go.
(b) To run away to Mexico.
(c) To go to Canada.
(d) To carry her scarf.
11. What does Joe think he has to do first in order to kill himself?
(a) Flip over.
(b) Learn to communicate.
(c) Make friends with the nurse.
(d) Get a hold of a gun.
12. Why does Joe think he is masked?
(a) To keep infection down.
(b) They haven't taken off the bandages yet.
(c) So his face will heal.
(d) So the nurses won't have to look at him.
13. What does Joe think would be wonderful when he was thinking about the nurse and the rat?
(a) If they were the same person.
(b) That he would hear.
(c) That nothing is real.
(d) That it's his mother bathing him.
14. How does Joe figure out that he is deaf?
(a) He can't hear his pulse.
(b) He can't hear his mother.
(c) He can't hear the doctors.
(d) He can's hear any music.
15. What did his parents use when they were courting?
(a) Notes passed by their parents.
(b) A bulletin board at school.
(c) Sending messages with friends.
(d) A party line telephone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe think you die for in war?
2. What do some of the soldiers in France do that are too scared to talk?
3. When he wants to kill himself by not breathing what does he find out?
4. When does Joe become aware of the war?
5. What did the doctors use to put in a window of a guy who had his stomach blown away?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)