|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of musical instrument does Joe's mother play?
2. What does Joe find out when someone finally answers the phone?
(a) His father has died.
(b) His girlfriend is in the hospital.
(c) His younger sister is gone.
(d) His mother has died.
3. What does Glen Hogan give Joe for his birthday one year?
(a) A new pocket knife.
(b) A blue tie.
(c) Brown silk socks.
(d) A leather jacket.
4. What does Joe think would be wonderful when he was thinking about the nurse and the rat?
(a) That it's his mother bathing him.
(b) That he would hear.
(c) If they were the same person.
(d) That nothing is real.
5. What does Joe go to the store for on Saturdays?
(a) To bring his father home.
(b) Buy his mother soap.
(c) Buy hamburgers for dinner.
(d) To buy candy for his sisters.
6. Why does Joe think he is masked?
(a) They haven't taken off the bandages yet.
(b) So his face will heal.
(c) So the nurses won't have to look at him.
(d) To keep infection down.
7. What does Joe decide when he figures out he's deaf?
(a) He won't have to listen to his wife nag.
(b) He can get a hearing aid.
(c) He can learn to read lips.
(d) He didn't like music anyway.
8. What does Joe weep about for the first time?
(a) Going to war.
(b) Working in the desert.
(c) His mother's death.
(d) A girl.
9. What does Joe feel under all of his bandages?
(c) Feeling a burning sensation.
10. What do the doctors consider Joe to be?
(a) Another casuality of war.
(b) A thinking person.
(c) They don't think about him at all.
(d) An interesting problem.
11. Why does Joe think he may be lucky not having a nose?
(a) He always thought his nose was too big.
(b) So he can't smell himself.
(c) So it doesn't look funny with no mouth.
(d) So he can't breath.
12. What does Joe think about his head as he lays in the bed?
(a) It is too badly injured for him to live.
(b) It is too heavy.
(c) It is too messed up.
(d) The shell should have hit his head.
13. With what does Joe compare his situation right now?
(a) When his father died.
(b) Losing his best friend.
(c) Being back in the womb.
(d) Being stuck in bed with a broken leg.
14. What does Jose want to know from the rest of the workers at the bakery?
(a) How to quit his job gracefully.
(b) How to drive a car.
(c) Where to get a map of Los Angeles.
(d) How to get into the movies.
15. How many days has Joe been sick in his life?
(b) Three times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe think is the only important thing he has left?
2. Why does Howie wake Joe up when they have gone to bed for the night?
3. What do some of the soldiers in France do that are too scared to talk?
4. What does Joe see in the snow as he thinks of his life?
5. Why does Joe not understand how he is alive?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)