|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he finds out he has no mouth, teeth or palate what does he realize?
(a) He can't swallow.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is hungry.
(d) He can't find his tongue.
2. What is Jose's ethnic background?
(c) Puerto Rican.
3. What does Joe think is his duty towards Diane?
(a) To marry her.
(b) To let her go so she can date who she wants.
(c) To warn her about Hogan.
(d) To tell her father.
4. What does Glen Hogan give Joe for his birthday one year?
(a) A leather jacket.
(b) Brown silk socks.
(c) A blue tie.
(d) A new pocket knife.
5. Why doesn't Joe worry about lack of appetite?
(a) He wants to die anyway.
(b) He doesn't like army food.
(c) He wanted to lose weight.
(d) They pump food in his stomach.
6. How does Joe feel about the war?
(a) He doesn't think it has anything to do with him.
(b) He's ready to go.
(c) He doesn't have an opinion.
(d) He thinks it will be interesting.
7. What does Joe go to the store for on Saturdays?
(a) Buy his mother soap.
(b) To buy candy for his sisters.
(c) Buy hamburgers for dinner.
(d) To bring his father home.
8. When does Joe become aware of the war?
(a) When his father is called up.
(b) When they move to Los Angeles.
(c) When he is drafted.
(d) When he hears it on the radio.
9. How many days has Joe been sick in his life?
(a) Three times.
10. How does Joe finally get fired?
(a) He asks the boss's daughter out.
(b) He slaps the boss.
(c) He pushes over a cart of blueberry pies.
(d) He burns up a thousand hot cross buns.
11. What does Joe think war is for the doctors?
(c) They are indifferent to it.
12. What does Joe decide when he first figures out he has no arms?
(a) He will have to have a patient wife.
(b) He can use his mouth.
(c) He can learn to use his legs.
(d) He can get hooks.
13. What did his parents use when they were courting?
(a) Notes passed by their parents.
(b) A bulletin board at school.
(c) Sending messages with friends.
(d) A party line telephone.
14. What type of musical instrument does Joe's mother play?
15. What does Joe realize when he asks Jose to come closer to him?
(a) He's been dreaming.
(b) Jose is dead.
(c) Jose can't walk either.
(d) Jose is in Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the bread sacks Joe lifted at the bakery weigh?
2. What does Joe weep about for the first time?
3. What does Joe think he has to do first in order to kill himself?
4. Why does Bonham think he is dying?
5. What famous person flies into Joe's hometown one day?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)