|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what did John Quincy attribute the fact that Jefferson and his father died on the same day?
2. How many children did King George III of England have?
3. Who is elected Vice President when Adams is elected President?
4. To what does Abigail compare John when he is deluged with opposition in Philadelphia?
5. Who is William Steuben Smith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the Adamses first observations of life in London?
2. Explain the speculation options for Adams' political future.
3. What were the major challenges that faced Adams in his position as diplomat in London?
4. What event prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
5. What were the circumstances of Adams' leaving Washington on Jefferson's inauguration day?
6. Explain the circumstances of Adams' meeting with King George III in which Adams is rightfully nervous.
7. What was the state of the country when Adams turned it over to Jefferson?
8. Why is Chapter 9 so appropriately titled "Old Oak"?
9. Explain why keeping peace was a guiding principle for Adams in his presidency?
10. What did Adams observe about the new America that had emerged in his absence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of letter-writing between John and Abigail. What is revealed by their letters? What can John not bring himself to say in the letters?
Essay Topic 2
John and Abigail ultimately lost four children before their own deaths. Name the children and the circumstances of their deaths.
Essay Topic 3
John and Abigail had four surviving children--Nabby, John Quincy, Charles and Thomas. Describe the Adamses' relationships with each of their children. Is it evident that one is the favorite? Who is the black sheep? Cite examples.
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)