|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Adams begin a pleasant correspondence through letters?
2. How long had Adams lived overseas at the time he returns home in 1788?
3. Who is William Steuben Smith?
4. How many children did King George III of England have?
5. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the circumstances of Adams' meeting with King George III in which Adams is rightfully nervous.
2. What were John and Abigail's concerns for their children during this period?
3. How could Adams' creed for his life be summed up?
4. What were Adams' main points in his presidential inauguration speech in March of 1797?
5. How were the Adamses met when they returned to Boston after living in Europe for so long?
6. What were the personal and professional losses Adams experienced in the fall of 1800?
7. What were the circumstances of Adams' leaving Washington on Jefferson's inauguration day?
8. Explain the speculation options for Adams' political future.
9. What was the state of the country when Adams turned it over to Jefferson?
10. Explain why the Alien and Sedition Acts were so critical at this time when war with France was possibly imminent.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adams spent several years living in France as a diplomatic envoy. Compare and contrast his life there with his life in Massachusetts. What did he like and dislike about life in both places?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas Paine wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls." Explain how the times also tried the souls of the women left behind to keep the homes intact and raise the children. Use Abigail Adams as a prominent example.
Essay Topic 3
Explain John Adams' life from birth through his marriage and his legal career. What were his parents like? What was his personality? What behaviors were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)