|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John take Abigail for a five-week tour?
2. ____________________ is eulogized as "first in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen."
3. How did Adams perceive the Vice Presidency?
4. Who is Sally Hemings?
5. Who did Adams fear would lead a military coup and return the country to British rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could Adams' creed for his life be summed up?
2. What was John Quincy's relationship with his parents?
3. What were the circumstances of Adams' leaving Washington on Jefferson's inauguration day?
4. What were the Adamses first observations of life in London?
5. What were the major challenges that faced Adams in his position as diplomat in London?
6. What did Adams observe about the new America that had emerged in his absence?
7. What were John and Abigail's concerns for their children during this period?
8. What event prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
9. Explain the speculation options for Adams' political future.
10. In what ways did Jefferson undo Adams' accomplishments as president?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to war on their homeland, the colonists were also very vulnerable to the threat of serious illnesses such as smallpox. Cite some examples from the book in which people die or are in serious danger of their lives due to diseases that can be managed today.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of letter-writing between John and Abigail. What is revealed by their letters? What can John not bring himself to say in the letters?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson had a curvy path during their lifetimes. Describe the nature of their friendship from the beginning, how it strengthened, how it eroded, and then finally solidified again.
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)