|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Adams so pleased with John Quincy's appointment as Secretary of State?
2. ____________________ is eulogized as "first in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen."
3. Who is William Steuben Smith?
4. What topic did Jefferson refuse to debate with Adams?
5. What did the Adamses find when they returned to Boston?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the Adamses first observations of life in London?
2. Explain the circumstances of Adams' meeting with King George III in which Adams is rightfully nervous.
3. What were the circumstances of Adams' leaving Washington on Jefferson's inauguration day?
4. Explain why keeping peace was a guiding principle for Adams in his presidency?
5. What were the major challenges that faced Adams in his position as diplomat in London?
6. Why is Chapter 9 so appropriately titled "Old Oak"?
7. How could Adams' creed for his life be summed up?
8. What event prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
9. Explain why the Alien and Sedition Acts were so critical at this time when war with France was possibly imminent.
10. How could the first half of Adams' administration be described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even before he was a player on the national and international stages, John Adams was known to be a man of high integrity. Cite some examples in Adams' life that prove this statement.
Essay Topic 2
John and Abigail ultimately lost four children before their own deaths. Name the children and the circumstances of their deaths.
Essay Topic 3
In addition to war on their homeland, the colonists were also very vulnerable to the threat of serious illnesses such as smallpox. Cite some examples from the book in which people die or are in serious danger of their lives due to diseases that can be managed today.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)