|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where is the nation's capital moved in 1800?
2. What does Adams abandon after trying for a year?
3. What event takes American by surprise in 1789?
4. What prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
5. What did many people do at Washington's departure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the major challenges that faced Adams in his position as diplomat in London?
2. In what ways did Jefferson undo Adams' accomplishments as president?
3. Why is Chapter 9 so appropriately titled "Old Oak"?
4. What event prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
5. What did Adams observe about the new America that had emerged in his absence?
6. Explain why the Alien and Sedition Acts were so critical at this time when war with France was possibly imminent.
7. Explain the speculation options for Adams' political future.
8. Explain the poignancy of the deaths of Adams and Jefferson.
9. How could the first half of Adams' administration be described?
10. What was the state of the country when Adams turned it over to Jefferson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Adams showed George Washington tremendous respect by nominating him to lead the Continental Army but did not receive the same courtesy in return. Explain why Washington showed little regard for Adams, particularly when Adams served as his vice president. Also note Adams' integrity and ability to bear the affront.
Essay Topic 2
Myths and legends have always surrounded the stories of the Founding Fathers of the United States. How does McCullough's book dispel or validate any such predisposed thoughts. Cite examples of which men are viewed a little differently after reading this book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of letter-writing between John and Abigail. What is revealed by their letters? What can John not bring himself to say in the letters?
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)