|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Adams' main objective during this period of his presidency?
2. What did Abigail say she felt like when setting out to join John in Philadelphia?
3. What prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
4. What topic did Jefferson refuse to debate with Adams?
5. What prevented Adams from attending his mother's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why keeping peace was a guiding principle for Adams in his presidency?
2. What event prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
3. Explain why the Alien and Sedition Acts were so critical at this time when war with France was possibly imminent.
4. What were Adams' main points in his presidential inauguration speech in March of 1797?
5. What were John and Abigail's concerns for their children during this period?
6. What were the personal and professional losses Adams experienced in the fall of 1800?
7. Explain the circumstances of Adams' meeting with King George III in which Adams is rightfully nervous.
8. Explain the poignancy of the deaths of Adams and Jefferson.
9. In what ways did Jefferson undo Adams' accomplishments as president?
10. What was the state of the country when Adams turned it over to Jefferson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The act of declaring independence from Britain took tremendous courage for this group of men who could have been hanged for treason. Using John Adams as the primary example, explain some of the reasons why the belief in independence was strong enough to put their lives on the line for it.
Essay Topic 2
Even before he was a player on the national and international stages, John Adams was known to be a man of high integrity. Cite some examples in Adams' life that prove this statement.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of religion in Adams' life. What was his father's plan for his life? Why did he alter the plan? How did his religious beliefs guide him as he guided the country?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)