|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the delegates led a movement to reconcile with England?
2. To what country does Adams move to seek financial aid?
3. What did the people of Boston call an event where five citizens were killed by British soldiers?
4. What did Adams call Abigail in addition to being a choice wife?
5. What area did John Adams choose for his profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the toll that Adams' work in Congress is taking on his personal life.
2. Describe the condition of the Auteuil house where the Adamses take up residence in Paris.
3. Where is Adams headed when the book opens?
4. Where was John born and who were his parents?
5. What was Adams' experience at the Second Continental Congress which began in February of 1776?
6. What was Adams' relationship with John Quincy during this time?
7. What were the three factions vying for power at the Second Continental Congress?
8. What did Adams come to realize about the tensions among the American envoys in Paris?
9. What was Abigail's perspective on John's overseas assignment?
10. Who did Adams marry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John and Abigail had four surviving children--Nabby, John Quincy, Charles and Thomas. Describe the Adamses' relationships with each of their children. Is it evident that one is the favorite? Who is the black sheep? Cite examples.
Essay Topic 2
Adams spent several years living in France as a diplomatic envoy. Compare and contrast his life there with his life in Massachusetts. What did he like and dislike about life in both places?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson had a curvy path during their lifetimes. Describe the nature of their friendship from the beginning, how it strengthened, how it eroded, and then finally solidified again.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)