|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom do Adams and George Washington meet in January of 1776?
2. The congress voted that there should be how many legislative bodies in the new government?
3. What did the Adamses do before moving to Paris?
4. What is the name of the ship taking the Adamses to France in 1779?
5. Which of the Americans was the first to sign the Treaty of Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Adams' experience at the Second Continental Congress which began in February of 1776?
2. Describe Philadelphia at the time of the First Continental Congress in 1774.
3. Explain some of Adams' immediate issues as Head of the War Department.
4. What was Abigail's perspective on John's overseas assignment?
5. Describe the condition of the Auteuil house where the Adamses take up residence in Paris.
6. How did Adams pass his time while on the voyage to France?
7. Why was Abigail so apprehensive about going to John in Europe?
8. Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" went a long way to rally New Englanders to war. Explain how John Adams found weakness in Paine and his document.
9. Explain Adams' education and entry into the profession of law.
10. What historic event severely wounded Adams' law practice in Boston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John and Abigail ultimately lost four children before their own deaths. Name the children and the circumstances of their deaths.
Essay Topic 2
Explain John Adams' life from birth through his marriage and his legal career. What were his parents like? What was his personality? What behaviors were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
Essay Topic 3
Even before he was a player on the national and international stages, John Adams was known to be a man of high integrity. Cite some examples in Adams' life that prove this statement.
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)