|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was John Adams born?
2. In what year does the book begin?
3. What was the Olive Branch Petition?
4. Which of the following did Abigail not find Paris to be?
5. On what day was the Declaration of Independence approved?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adams react when his ship is wrecked in a storm and he must be repaired in Spain.
2. After all the debate, what was the final vote for independence on July 4, 1776?
3. What did Adams come to realize about the tensions among the American envoys in Paris?
4. Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" went a long way to rally New Englanders to war. Explain how John Adams found weakness in Paine and his document.
5. What were Abigail's overall impressions of Paris?
6. What was the final perception of Adams' role in the fight for independence?
7. What was Adams' relationship with John Quincy during this time?
8. What were Adams' three main objectives for the Second Continental Congress?
9. Explain some of Adams' immediate issues as Head of the War Department.
10. What did Adams do upon arriving in France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of religion in Adams' life. What was his father's plan for his life? Why did he alter the plan? How did his religious beliefs guide him as he guided the country?
Essay Topic 2
Adams spent several years living in France as a diplomatic envoy. Compare and contrast his life there with his life in Massachusetts. What did he like and dislike about life in both places?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson had a curvy path during their lifetimes. Describe the nature of their friendship from the beginning, how it strengthened, how it eroded, and then finally solidified again.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)