|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day was the Declaration of Independence approved?
2. What event causes Congress to flee from Philadelphia?
3. What does Adams do when the ship is beached for repairs in Spain?
4. Who is appointed as Adams' official secretary?
5. What did the Adamses do before moving to Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Abigail's perspective on John's overseas assignment?
2. Why was Abigail so apprehensive about going to John in Europe?
3. What did Adams do upon arriving in France?
4. What were Adams' initial observations about Paris?
5. What was Adams' overall opinion of the First Continental Congress?
6. What was Adams' experience at the Second Continental Congress which began in February of 1776?
7. What were the circumstances of the actual signing of the Declaration of Independence?
8. How did Adams pass his time while on the voyage to France?
9. Why did Adams move to Holland?
10. Where was John born and who were his parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John and Abigail had a powerful and loving marriage for many years. How did they maintain their relationship for so long? How did each manage through the many separations they were forced to endure? How can the power of love be so strong that it exists without any physical bonds? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Abigail Adams was a strong woman and well-positioned for John and the new United States. What was her influence on her husband? What was her position on slavery? What was her position on women's rights? How was she ahead of her time? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In addition to war on their homeland, the colonists were also very vulnerable to the threat of serious illnesses such as smallpox. Cite some examples from the book in which people die or are in serious danger of their lives due to diseases that can be managed today.
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)