|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event causes Congress to flee from Philadelphia?
2. What is a Te Deum?
3. Who do Abigail and Nabby encounter in Boston?
4. What is ultimately signed on September 3, 1783?
5. To what position is Adams appointed in October of 1778?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Adams' relationship with John Quincy during this time?
2. Describe the condition of the Auteuil house where the Adamses take up residence in Paris.
3. What were the three factions vying for power at the Second Continental Congress?
4. Describe John Adams.
5. Why was Abigail so apprehensive about going to John in Europe?
6. Who did Adams marry?
7. What was the nature of the meeting requested by British General Howe with Adams, Franklin and Rutledge?
8. Explain the toll that Adams' work in Congress is taking on his personal life.
9. What finally makes Abigail change her mind about going to France?
10. What fortuitous meeting did Abigail have before sailing from Boston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of religion in Adams' life. What was his father's plan for his life? Why did he alter the plan? How did his religious beliefs guide him as he guided the country?
Essay Topic 2
John and Abigail had a powerful and loving marriage for many years. How did they maintain their relationship for so long? How did each manage through the many separations they were forced to endure? How can the power of love be so strong that it exists without any physical bonds? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
John and Abigail had four surviving children--Nabby, John Quincy, Charles and Thomas. Describe the Adamses' relationships with each of their children. Is it evident that one is the favorite? Who is the black sheep? Cite examples.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)