|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing that Adams does not like about Paris?
2. How long did Adams remain in Philadelphia?
3. What is the name of Jefferson's Virginia home?
4. With whom does Abigail become good friends while in Paris?
5. What event occurred in May of 1765 that enraged the colonists?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Adams pass his time while on the voyage to France?
2. Describe John Adams.
3. What was the final perception of Adams' role in the fight for independence?
4. What was Adams' overall opinion of the First Continental Congress?
5. What historic event severely wounded Adams' law practice in Boston?
6. What finally makes Abigail change her mind about going to France?
7. Explain how the winter of 1776-77 were times that stretched the limits of the patriots' forebearance.
8. What were Adams' initial observations about Paris?
9. What was the nature of the meeting requested by British General Howe with Adams, Franklin and Rutledge?
10. How did Adams spend his time while in Paris in the spring and summer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain John Adams' life from birth through his marriage and his legal career. What were his parents like? What was his personality? What behaviors were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas Paine wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls." Explain how the times also tried the souls of the women left behind to keep the homes intact and raise the children. Use Abigail Adams as a prominent example.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast John Adams and Benjamin Franklin. In what ways were they similar? In what ways were they different? Why did they grow apart during their diplomatic period in France?
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)