|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which French Minister favored Franklin to Adams?
2. Who is succeeding Benjamin Franklin as minister to France?
3. What was the name of the ship that took Abigail and Nabby to England?
4. Who did Adams say depended on Congress' decision to split from England?
5. ___________________ wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls."
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Adams' overall opinion of the First Continental Congress?
2. Describe the condition of the Auteuil house where the Adamses take up residence in Paris.
3. What was the nature of the meeting requested by British General Howe with Adams, Franklin and Rutledge?
4. Why did Adams move to Holland?
5. What were Abigail's overall impressions of Paris?
6. Where was John born and who were his parents?
7. What happens to Adams just as he is about to give up his life as a public servant for the government?
8. Explain how the winter of 1776-77 were times that stretched the limits of the patriots' forebearance.
9. Describe Philadelphia at the time of the First Continental Congress in 1774.
10. Explain the toll that Adams' work in Congress is taking on his personal life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The act of declaring independence from Britain took tremendous courage for this group of men who could have been hanged for treason. Using John Adams as the primary example, explain some of the reasons why the belief in independence was strong enough to put their lives on the line for it.
Essay Topic 2
Adams spent several years living in France as a diplomatic envoy. Compare and contrast his life there with his life in Massachusetts. What did he like and dislike about life in both places?
Essay Topic 3
Thomas Paine wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls." Explain how the times also tried the souls of the women left behind to keep the homes intact and raise the children. Use Abigail Adams as a prominent example.
This section contains 1,361 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)