Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Abigail especially melancholy by another one of John's absences?
2. Which of the Americans was the first to sign the Treaty of Paris?
3. Who summons Adams to Paris to sign a peace treaty?
4. What does John find difficult to do when writing to Abigail?
5. How many votes were necessary to declare independence?
Short Essay Questions
1. After all the debate, what was the final vote for independence on July 4, 1776?
2. What was Adams' experience at the Second Continental Congress which began in February of 1776?
3. What are Abigail's first impressions of London after her arrival?
4. Explain the toll that Adams' work in Congress is taking on his personal life.
5. What were John and Abigail's concerns for their children during this period?
6. Explain some of Adams' immediate issues as Head of the War Department.
7. Explain why the Alien and Sedition Acts were so critical to a time when war with France was possibly imminent.
8. What were the circumstances of Abigail's death?
9. How does Adams react when his ship is wrecked in a storm and must be repaired in Spain.
10. Explain the poignancy of the deaths of Adams and Jefferson.
John Adams showed George Washington tremendous respect by nominating him to lead the Continental Army but did not receive the same courtesy in return. Discuss why Washington showed little regard for Adams, particularly when Adams served as his vice president, and Adams ability to bear the affront.
Abigail Adams was a strong woman and well-positioned for John and the new United States. What was her influence on her husband? What was her position on slavery? What was her position on women's rights? How was she ahead of her time? Explain.
Adams spent several years living in France as a diplomatic envoy. Compare and contrast his life there with his life in Massachusetts. Did he enjoy living one place over the other? How did his experiences living in both places influence his political views?
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)