|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Glorious news" of what event arrives while Adams is in Holland?
2. In what year was John Adams born?
3. What is ultimately signed on September 3, 1783?
4. What was an important topic of debate related to the Articles of Confederation?
5. What was the pamphlet written by Thomas Paine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the toll that Adams' work in Congress is taking on his personal life.
2. What are Abigail's first impressions of London after her arrival?
3. Where was John born and who were his parents?
4. What was Adams' experience at the Second Continental Congress which began in February of 1776?
5. Who did Adams marry?
6. Where is Adams headed when the book opens?
7. After all the debate, what was the final vote for independence on July 4, 1776?
8. What was the nature of the meeting requested by British General Howe with Adams, Franklin and Rutledge?
9. Explain how the winter of 1776-77 were times that stretched the limits of the patriots' forebearance.
10. What fortuitous meeting did Abigail have before sailing from Boston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John and Abigail had four surviving children--Nabby, John Quincy, Charles and Thomas. Describe the Adamses' relationships with each of their children. Is it evident that one is the favorite? Who is the black sheep? Cite examples.
Essay Topic 2
Explain John Adams' life from birth through his marriage and his legal career. What were his parents like? What was his personality? What behaviors were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
Essay Topic 3
Adams spent several years living in France as a diplomatic envoy. Compare and contrast his life there with his life in Massachusetts. What did he like and dislike about life in both places?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)