Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Abigail especially melancholy by another one of John's absences?
2. Which of the Americans was the first to sign the Treaty of Paris?
3. Who summons Adams to Paris to sign a peace treaty?
4. What does John find difficult to do when writing to Abigail?
5. How many votes were necessary to declare independence?
Short Essay Questions
1. After all the debate, what was the final vote for independence on July 4, 1776?
2. What was Adams' experience at the Second Continental Congress which began in February of 1776?
3. What are Abigail's first impressions of London after her arrival?
4. Explain the toll that Adams' work in Congress is taking on his personal life.
5. What were John and Abigail's concerns for their children during this period?
6. Explain some of Adams' immediate issues as Head of the War Department.
7. Explain why the Alien and Sedition Acts were so critical to a time when war with France was possibly imminent.
8. What were the circumstances of Abigail's death?
9. How does Adams react when his ship is wrecked in a storm and must be repaired in Spain.
10. Explain the poignancy of the deaths of Adams and Jefferson.
Compare and contrast John Adams and Benjamin Franklin. In what ways were they similar? In what ways were they different? Why did they grow apart during their diplomatic period in France?
Thomas Paine wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls." Using Abigail Adams as an example, explain how the times also tried the souls of the women left behind to keep the homes and raise the children.
John and Abigail ultimately lost four children before their own deaths. Name the children and the circumstances of their deaths.
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)