|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Abigail especially melancholy by another one of John's absences?
2. Which of the Americans was the first to sign the Treaty of Paris?
3. Who summons Adams to Paris to sign a peace treaty?
4. What does John find difficult to do when writing to Abigail?
5. How many votes were necessary to declare independence?
Short Essay Questions
1. After all the debate, what was the final vote for independence on July 4, 1776?
2. What was Adams' experience at the Second Continental Congress which began in February of 1776?
3. What are Abigail's first impressions of London after her arrival?
4. Explain the toll that Adams' work in Congress is taking on his personal life.
5. What were John and Abigail's concerns for their children during this period?
6. Explain some of Adams' immediate issues as Head of the War Department.
7. Explain why the Alien and Sedition Acts were so critical to a time when war with France was possibly imminent.
8. What were the circumstances of Abigail's death?
9. How does Adams react when his ship is wrecked in a storm and must be repaired in Spain.
10. Explain the poignancy of the deaths of Adams and Jefferson.
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of letter-writing between John and Abigail. What is revealed by their letters? What can John not bring himself to say in the letters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the poignancy of Adams and Jefferson both dying on the same day--the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
Essay Topic 3
John and Abigail had four surviving children--Nabby, John Quincy, Charles and Thomas. Describe the Adamses' relationships with each of their children and the influence it had on their success as adults.
This section contains 1,909 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)