Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Abigail especially melancholy by another one of John's absences?
2. Which of the Americans was the first to sign the Treaty of Paris?
3. Who summons Adams to Paris to sign a peace treaty?
4. What does John find difficult to do when writing to Abigail?
5. How many votes were necessary to declare independence?
Short Essay Questions
1. After all the debate, what was the final vote for independence on July 4, 1776?
2. What was Adams' experience at the Second Continental Congress which began in February of 1776?
3. What are Abigail's first impressions of London after her arrival?
4. Explain the toll that Adams' work in Congress is taking on his personal life.
5. What were John and Abigail's concerns for their children during this period?
6. Explain some of Adams' immediate issues as Head of the War Department.
7. Explain why the Alien and Sedition Acts were so critical to a time when war with France was possibly imminent.
8. What were the circumstances of Abigail's death?
9. How does Adams react when his ship is wrecked in a storm and must be repaired in Spain.
10. Explain the poignancy of the deaths of Adams and Jefferson.
Essay Topic 1
In addition to war on their homeland, the colonists were also very vulnerable to the threat of serious illnesses such as smallpox. Cite some examples from the book in which people die or are in serious danger of their lives due to diseases that can be easily managed today.
Essay Topic 2
Explain John Adams' life from birth through his marriage and his legal career. What were his parents like? What was his personality? What traits were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
Essay Topic 3
John and Abigail had a powerful and loving marriage for many years. How did they maintain their relationship for so long? How did each manage through the many separations they were forced to endure? Explain.
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)