|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Adams believe of the men gathered with him in Philadelphia?
2. What was the name of the ship on which Adams sailed to Europe?
3. What does Adams do when the ship is beached for repairs in Spain?
4. In what location does the book begin?
5. What is the one thing that Adams does not like about Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What finally makes Abigail change her mind about going to France?
2. Describe Philadelphia at the time of the First Continental Congress in 1774.
3. What are Abigail's first impressions of London after her arrival?
4. Why was Abigail so apprehensive about going to John in Europe?
5. What was Adams' experience at the Second Continental Congress which began in February of 1776?
6. What was Adams' overall opinion of the First Continental Congress?
7. Explain Adams' education and entry into the profession of law.
8. Describe the condition of the Auteuil house where the Adamses take up residence in Paris.
9. What were Adams' three main objectives for the Second Continental Congress?
10. Explain the toll that Adams' work in Congress is taking on his personal life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast John Adams and Benjamin Franklin. In what ways were they similar? In what ways were they different? Why did they grow apart during their diplomatic period in France?
Essay Topic 2
In addition to war on their homeland, the colonists were also very vulnerable to the threat of serious illnesses such as smallpox. Cite some examples from the book in which people die or are in serious danger of their lives due to diseases that can be managed today.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of religion in Adams' life. What was his father's plan for his life? Why did he alter the plan? How did his religious beliefs guide him as he guided the country?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)