|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is appointed as Adams' official secretary?
2. To what country does John Quincy go as a secretary?
3. What is Novangelus?
4. What was the core message of Adam's "Braintree Instructions"?
5. With whom does Abigail become good friends while in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fortuitous meeting did Abigail have before sailing from Boston?
2. After all the debate, what was the final vote for independence on July 4, 1776?
3. What were Abigail's overall impressions of Paris?
4. What did Adams do upon arriving in France?
5. How did Adams spend his time while in Paris in the spring and summer?
6. Explain how the winter of 1776-77 were times that stretched the limits of the patriots' forebearance.
7. Why was Abigail so apprehensive about going to John in Europe?
8. What were the three factions vying for power at the Second Continental Congress?
9. Where was John born and who were his parents?
10. What historic event severely wounded Adams' law practice in Boston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson had a curvy path during their lifetimes. Describe the nature of their friendship from the beginning, how it strengthened, how it eroded, and then finally solidified again.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast John Adams and Benjamin Franklin. In what ways were they similar? In what ways were they different? Why did they grow apart during their diplomatic period in France?
Essay Topic 3
It is widely believed that Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence when in actuality he was part of a team of five men assigned to the task. Who were the other men charged with creating this document along with Jefferson? Why were they selected? How did they work together?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)