|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Adams do in May of 1782?
2. Where was the boarding school in which Adams enrolled his sons located?
3. What morbid premonition of Abigail's comes true in July of 1777?
4. To what position is Adams appointed?
5. How long did it take for letters to cross the Atlantic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the winter of 1776-77 were times that stretched the limits of the patriots' forebearance.
2. Why did Adams move to Holland?
3. What historic event severely wounded Adams' law practice in Boston?
4. Describe John Adams.
5. Why was Abigail so apprehensive about going to John in Europe?
6. What did Adams do upon arriving in France?
7. What were the three factions vying for power at the Second Continental Congress?
8. Describe Philadelphia at the time of the First Continental Congress in 1774.
9. What fortuitous meeting did Abigail have before sailing from Boston?
10. What was Abigail's perspective on John's overseas assignment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe John Adams' personality in both his personal and professional interactions. Also cite examples where these traits are beneficial. When are the traits a liability?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas Paine wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls." Explain how the times also tried the souls of the women left behind to keep the homes intact and raise the children. Use Abigail Adams as a prominent example.
Essay Topic 3
John and Abigail had a powerful and loving marriage for many years. How did they maintain their relationship for so long? How did each manage through the many separations they were forced to endure? How can the power of love be so strong that it exists without any physical bonds? Explain.
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)