|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are John Adams and John Bass going as the book begins?
2. What does Adams vow after the signing of the document?
3. What morbid premonition of Abigail's comes true in July of 1777?
4. How long did it take for the Declaration of Independence document to be printed for signatures?
5. What was the assumed British knowledge about Adams?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances of Abigail's death?
2. Explain Adams' education and entry into the profession of law.
3. How did Adams spend his time while in Paris in the spring and summer?
4. What finally makes Abigail change her mind about going to France?
5. What did Adams do upon arriving in France?
6. What happens to Adams just as he is about to give up his life as a public servant for the government?
7. What were Adams' plans after the end of his presidency?
8. Explain some of Adams' immediate issues as Head of the War Department.
9. How did Adams pass his time while on the voyage to France?
10. How does Adams react when his ship is wrecked in a storm and must be repaired in Spain.
Essay Topic 1
John Adams showed George Washington tremendous respect by nominating him to lead the Continental Army but did not receive the same courtesy in return. Discuss why Washington showed little regard for Adams, particularly when Adams served as his vice president, and Adams ability to bear the affront.
Essay Topic 2
John and Abigail ultimately lost four children before their own deaths. Name the children and the circumstances of their deaths.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast John Adams and Benjamin Franklin. In what ways were they similar? In what ways were they different? Why did they grow apart during their diplomatic period in France?
This section contains 1,881 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)