|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Abigail call John when his letters lost their romantic ardor?
2. Whose friendship is especially valued by both John and Abigail?
3. What was the main method of communication between John and Abigail?
4. What was the name of the ship that took Abigail and Nabby to England?
5. In what Paris suburb did the Adamses find a house for their stay in France?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Adams' initial observations about Paris?
2. Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" went a long way to rally New Englanders to war. Explain how John Adams found weakness in Paine and his document.
3. Explain why the Alien and Sedition Acts were so critical to a time when war with France was possibly imminent.
4. What were Adams' plans after the end of his presidency?
5. Explain Adams' education and entry into the profession of law.
6. What were the circumstances of Abigail's death?
7. Explain the toll that Adams' work in Congress is taking on his personal life.
8. What was Abigail's perspective on John's overseas assignment?
9. Explain some of Adams' immediate issues as Head of the War Department.
10. What were Abigail's overall impressions of Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson had a curvy path during their lifetimes. Describe the nature of their friendship from the beginning, how it strengthened, how it eroded, and then finally solidified again.
Essay Topic 2
Explain John Adams' life from birth through his marriage and his legal career. What were his parents like? What was his personality? What traits were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the poignancy of Adams and Jefferson both dying on the same day--the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
This section contains 1,874 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)