|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What near-fatal illness does Abigail contract?
(a) Typhoid fever
(d) Scarlet fever
2. What is the name of the Adamses new grandchild born to John Quincy and Louisa Catherine Adams?
(a) John Quincy Adams II
(b) Abigail Elizabeth Adams
(c) George Washington Adams
(d) Charles Quincy Adams
3. To what government office is John Quincy elected after returning from Europe?
(a) U.S. Congress
(b) Massachusetts Senate
(c) Mayor of Quincy
(d) Governor of Massachusetts
4. What prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
(a) The death of his daughter, Polly
(b) Her terminal illness diagnosis
(c) John's terminal illness diagnosis
(d) The death of their daughter, Nabby
5. With whom does Adams begin a pleasant correspondence through letters?
(a) Dr. Benjamin Rush
(b) Nabby Adams Smith
(c) John Jay
(d) Martha Washington
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when John and Abigail lose their life savings in imprudent investments?
2. What topic did Jefferson refuse to debate with Adams?
3. Who is William Steuben Smith?
4. Who led the opposition effort against Adams?
5. What addition did the Adamses make to their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the Adamses first observations of life in London?
2. Explain why the Alien and Sedition Acts were so critical at this time when war with France was possibly imminent.
3. How did Alexander Hamilton work to undermine Adams' election as president over Washington?
4. What were the major challenges that faced Adams in his position as diplomat in London?
5. How were the Adamses met when they returned to Boston after living in Europe for so long?
6. What were the personal and professional losses Adams experienced in the fall of 1800?
7. Explain why keeping peace was a guiding principle for Adams in his presidency?
8. What was the state of the country when Adams turned it over to Jefferson?
9. What were the circumstances of Abigail's death?
10. In what ways did Jefferson undo Adams' accomplishments as president?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)