|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John and Abigail's position on political office after Adams leaves the presidency?
(a) There are a few positions they would consider
(b) They have not thought about it yet
(c) They have no interest in any more public office
(d) They will entertain all offers
2. Who does Washington name as Secretary of State?
(a) Henry Knox
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) John Jay
(d) Alexander Hamilton
3. Which city has hopes of becoming the country's permanent capital?
(b) New York
4. To what did John Quincy attribute the fact that Jefferson and his father died on the same day?
(a) A tribute to freedom
(b) Divine favor toward the U.S.
(c) A tremendous bond between friends
(d) The power of the human spirit
5. Who is appointed commander in chief of the new provisional army?
(a) William Smith
(b) George Washington
(c) John Howe
(d) Alexander Hamilton
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adams call Washington in a letter written a year earlier that surfaces and is printed in a newspaper?
2. How many months did Adams govern from his Quincy home instead of Philadelphia in 1799?
3. To where is the nation's capital moved in 1800?
4. What is the state of Nabby's marriage?
5. Who was the artist of the famous painting of the signing of the Declaration of Independence?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did Jefferson undo Adams' accomplishments as president?
2. How were the Adamses met when they returned to Boston after living in Europe for so long?
3. Why is Chapter 9 so appropriately titled "Old Oak"?
4. What were the circumstances of Abigail's death?
5. Explain the circumstances of Adams' meeting with King George III in which Adams is rightfully nervous.
6. What was John Quincy's relationship with his parents?
7. How did Alexander Hamilton work to undermine Adams' election as president over Washington?
8. Explain why keeping peace was a guiding principle for Adams in his presidency?
9. Explain the speculation options for Adams' political future.
10. What were the personal and professional losses Adams experienced in the fall of 1800?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)