|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what name do some of Adams' opponents call him?
(a) Farmer Brown
(b) The Village Idiot
(c) The Little Napoleon
(d) The President by Three Votes
2. What statement did Washington add to his presidential oath of office?
(a) So help me God.
(b) United we stand, divided we fall.
(c) God bless the United States of America
(d) Give me liberty or give me death.
3. What does Adams abandon after trying for a year?
(a) Learning to paint with oils
(b) Writing his autobiography
(c) Cross pollinating different varieties of vegetables
(d) Learning to speak Italian
4. What event takes American by surprise in 1789?
(a) The death of King George III
(b) The French and Indian War
(c) The French Revolution
(d) The resignation of Thomas Jefferson
5. How many months did Adams govern from his Quincy home instead of Philadelphia in 1799?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Adams' conclusion about keeping Washington's cabinet?
2. What illness strikes many, including Washington, in May of 1790?
3. Who does Washington name as Secretary of State?
4. Who does Nabby marry in 1786?
5. On what day did both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Adams' plans after the end of his presidency?
2. How could Adams' creed for his life be summed up?
3. How were the Adamses met when they returned to Boston after living in Europe for so long?
4. What did Adams observe about the new America that had emerged in his absence?
5. What was John Quincy's relationship with his parents?
6. What event prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
7. What were the personal and professional losses Adams experienced in the fall of 1800?
8. How could the first half of Adams' administration be described?
9. In what ways did Jefferson undo Adams' accomplishments as president?
10. What were Adams' main points in his presidential inauguration speech in March of 1797?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)