|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who led the opposition effort against Adams?
(a) Alexander Hamilton
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) John Pickering
(d) Aaron Burr
2. How long had Adams lived overseas at the time he returns home in 1788?
(a) 7 years
(b) 3 years
(c) 5 years
(d) 10 years
3. How many months did Adams govern from his Quincy home instead of Philadelphia in 1799?
4. What controversial nomination did Adams make as minister plenipotentiary to the French Republic in the matter of negotiating a new treaty?
(a) William Vans Murray
(b) John Quincy Adams
(c) Charles Adams
(d) John Jay
5. ____________________ is eulogized as "first in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen."
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
2. To what government office is John Quincy elected after returning from Europe?
3. What illness strikes many, including Washington, in May of 1790?
4. What is the state of Nabby's marriage?
5. To what does Abigail compare John when he is deluged with opposition in Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances of Abigail's death?
2. What were John and Abigail's concerns for their children during this period?
3. What did Adams learn was Jefferson's true position on slavery?
4. What were the personal and professional losses Adams experienced in the fall of 1800?
5. What did Adams observe about the new America that had emerged in his absence?
6. Explain the speculation options for Adams' political future.
7. Explain the circumstances of Adams' meeting with King George III in which Adams is rightfully nervous.
8. How could Adams' creed for his life be summed up?
9. What was John Quincy's relationship with his parents?
10. What were the circumstances of Adams' leaving Washington on Jefferson's inauguration day?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)