|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Adams say that Vice President is the only position he will accept?
(a) He is a better administrator than leader
(b) Washington will surely be elected President and anything else is beneath him
(c) He is tired of public office
(d) He does not want to be President
2. How does Thomas Jefferson now view Adams?
(a) As the smartest man in the government
(b) As his best friend
(c) As an embarrassment
(d) As presidential material
3. Who does Nabby marry in 1786?
(a) Marquis de Lafayette
(b) Col. William Stephens Smith
(c) James Hemings
(d) Franklin Bache
4. ____________________ is eulogized as "first in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen."
5. What U.S. institution is established in 1800?
(a) The Smithsonian Institution
(b) The Liberty Bell
(c) The Capitol building
(d) The Library of Congress
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic did Jefferson refuse to debate with Adams?
2. What happens when John and Abigail lose their life savings in imprudent investments?
3. How many children did King George III of England have?
4. Who is elected Vice President when Adams is elected President?
5. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Alexander Hamilton work to undermine Adams' election as president over Washington?
2. In what ways did Jefferson undo Adams' accomplishments as president?
3. Why is Chapter 9 so appropriately titled "Old Oak"?
4. What were Adams' plans after the end of his presidency?
5. What were Adams' main points in his presidential inauguration speech in March of 1797?
6. What did Adams learn was Jefferson's true position on slavery?
7. Explain the speculation options for Adams' political future.
8. What did Adams observe about the new America that had emerged in his absence?
9. Explain the poignancy of the deaths of Adams and Jefferson.
10. What was the state of the country when Adams turned it over to Jefferson?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)