|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Adams and Jefferson do to take a break from diplomatic matters?
(a) Tour English gardens
(b) Go fishing
(c) Tour British historical sites
(d) Go to bookstores
2. Of what disease does Abigail die?
(b) Typhoid fever
3. What illness strikes many, including Washington, in May of 1790?
(d) Scarlet fever
4. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
5. Why was Adams so pleased with John Quincy's appointment as Secretary of State?
(a) He would be closer to home
(b) He could ask Adams for advice
(c) He would be making more money
(d) The last three presidents had held that office
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thomas Jefferson now view Adams?
2. What is Adams' conclusion about keeping Washington's cabinet?
3. What prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
4. Who was Adams especially glad to see?
5. How many months did Adams govern from his Quincy home instead of Philadelphia in 1799?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Alexander Hamilton work to undermine Adams' election as president over Washington?
2. What were the circumstances of Abigail's death?
3. Explain why the Alien and Sedition Acts were so critical at this time when war with France was possibly imminent.
4. Why is Chapter 9 so appropriately titled "Old Oak"?
5. What did Adams observe about the new America that had emerged in his absence?
6. How could Adams' creed for his life be summed up?
7. What were the personal and professional losses Adams experienced in the fall of 1800?
8. What were Adams' plans after the end of his presidency?
9. What was the state of the country when Adams turned it over to Jefferson?
10. What were John and Abigail's concerns for their children during this period?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)