|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what disease does Charles Adams die?
2. Which of the following topics did Jefferson and Adams discuss?
(a) Jefferson's finances
(c) Sally Hemings
3. For what reason did Adams will himself to stay alive?
(a) He promised Abigail
(b) To see John Quincy elected president
(c) To observe the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence
(d) To see his great grandchildren
4. To what does Abigail compare John when he is deluged with opposition in Philadelphia?
(a) Salt of the earth
(b) An anchor
(c) A rock
(d) An old oak
5. What is Adams' main objective during this period of his presidency?
(a) Avoid war with France
(b) Abolish slavery
(c) Settle the western territory
(d) Establish a voting system
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________________ is eulogized as "first in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen."
2. What did many people do at Washington's departure?
3. On what day did both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die?
4. Who led the anti-American initiatives in England?
5. Who visits with the Adamses for a short while in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the Alien and Sedition Acts were so critical at this time when war with France was possibly imminent.
2. How were the Adamses met when they returned to Boston after living in Europe for so long?
3. What were the circumstances of Adams' leaving Washington on Jefferson's inauguration day?
4. What event prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
5. What did Adams observe about the new America that had emerged in his absence?
6. What did Adams learn was Jefferson's true position on slavery?
7. What were the Adamses first observations of life in London?
8. What was the state of the country when Adams turned it over to Jefferson?
9. Explain the poignancy of the deaths of Adams and Jefferson.
10. In what ways did Jefferson undo Adams' accomplishments as president?
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)