|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Adams now occupy his time?
(a) Campaigning for president
(b) Studying medicine
(c) As a farmer
(d) Studying law
2. What did many people do at Washington's departure?
3. What is John and Abigail's position on political office after Adams leaves the presidency?
(a) They will entertain all offers
(b) They have not thought about it yet
(c) They have no interest in any more public office
(d) There are a few positions they would consider
4. Of what disease does Abigail die?
(d) Typhoid fever
5. What does Adams abandon after trying for a year?
(a) Writing his autobiography
(b) Cross pollinating different varieties of vegetables
(c) Learning to paint with oils
(d) Learning to speak Italian
Short Answer Questions
1. What U.S. institution is established in 1800?
2. How did Adams perceive the Vice Presidency?
3. What topic did Jefferson refuse to debate with Adams?
4. To what government office is John Quincy elected after returning from Europe?
5. With what disease is Nabby diagnosed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the personal and professional losses Adams experienced in the fall of 1800?
2. What were the major challenges that faced Adams in his position as diplomat in London?
3. How could the first half of Adams' administration be described?
4. Why is Chapter 9 so appropriately titled "Old Oak"?
5. What did Adams observe about the new America that had emerged in his absence?
6. How did Alexander Hamilton work to undermine Adams' election as president over Washington?
7. What were Adams' plans after the end of his presidency?
8. What was the state of the country when Adams turned it over to Jefferson?
9. Explain why the Alien and Sedition Acts were so critical at this time when war with France was possibly imminent.
10. How were the Adamses met when they returned to Boston after living in Europe for so long?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)