|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America?
(a) William Pierce
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) John Adams
(d) George Washington
2. What do Adams and Jefferson do to take a break from diplomatic matters?
(a) Go to bookstores
(b) Go fishing
(c) Tour English gardens
(d) Tour British historical sites
3. What controversial nomination did Adams make as minister plenipotentiary to the French Republic in the matter of negotiating a new treaty?
(a) John Jay
(b) John Quincy Adams
(c) William Vans Murray
(d) Charles Adams
4. Who surprisingly has much in common with John Adams?
(a) King George III
(b) The Marquis de Lafayette
(c) The Pope
(d) King Louis XVI
5. Who is appointed commander in chief of the new provisional army?
(a) William Smith
(b) George Washington
(c) Alexander Hamilton
(d) John Howe
Short Answer Questions
1. To what did John Quincy attribute the fact that Jefferson and his father died on the same day?
2. Why does Adams say that Vice President is the only position he will accept?
3. Why was Adams so pleased with John Quincy's appointment as Secretary of State?
4. What addition did the Adamses make to their home?
5. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the poignancy of the deaths of Adams and Jefferson.
2. What were Adams' main points in his presidential inauguration speech in March of 1797?
3. What were the personal and professional losses Adams experienced in the fall of 1800?
4. What were the Adamses first observations of life in London?
5. In what ways did Jefferson undo Adams' accomplishments as president?
6. What event prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
7. What were Adams' plans after the end of his presidency?
8. Explain why the Alien and Sedition Acts were so critical at this time when war with France was possibly imminent.
9. How did Alexander Hamilton work to undermine Adams' election as president over Washington?
10. What were the circumstances of Adams' leaving Washington on Jefferson's inauguration day?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)