|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did many people do at Washington's departure?
2. Who designed the layout for the new federal capital?
(a) Thomas Jefferson
(b) Frank Lloyd Wright
(c) Henry Gates
(d) William Smith
3. To what did John Quincy attribute the fact that Jefferson and his father died on the same day?
(a) A tremendous bond between friends
(b) Divine favor toward the U.S.
(c) The power of the human spirit
(d) A tribute to freedom
4. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
5. Who does Nabby marry in 1786?
(a) Marquis de Lafayette
(b) James Hemings
(c) Franklin Bache
(d) Col. William Stephens Smith
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Adams and Jefferson do to take a break from diplomatic matters?
2. What statement did Washington add to his presidential oath of office?
3. Who visits with the Adamses for a short while in England?
4. What prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
5. Where does John take Abigail for a five-week tour?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Chapter 9 so appropriately titled "Old Oak"?
2. What was the state of the country when Adams turned it over to Jefferson?
3. Explain the speculation options for Adams' political future.
4. How could Adams' creed for his life be summed up?
5. What were the major challenges that faced Adams in his position as diplomat in London?
6. How were the Adamses met when they returned to Boston after living in Europe for so long?
7. How did Alexander Hamilton work to undermine Adams' election as president over Washington?
8. Explain why the Alien and Sedition Acts were so critical at this time when war with France was possibly imminent.
9. What were John and Abigail's concerns for their children during this period?
10. Explain why keeping peace was a guiding principle for Adams in his presidency?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)