|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to congress, how long should judges serve?
(a) 10 years
(b) 4 years
(c) For life
(d) 15 years
2. What was the main method of communication between John and Abigail?
(a) Short notes
(b) Military messages
(c) Long letters
3. Where are John Adams and John Bass going as the book begins?
(a) To church
(b) To visit George Washington
(c) To France
(d) To a town meeting
4. Who is succeeding Benjamin Franklin as minister to France?
(a) Thomas Jefferson
(b) John Hancock
(c) Samuel Adams
(d) George Washington
5. Whose friendship is especially valued by both John and Abigail?
(a) Marie Antoinette
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) Benjamin Franklin
(d) Marquis de Lafayette
Short Answer Questions
1. What event causes Congress to flee from Philadelphia?
2. How long did it take for letters to cross the Atlantic?
3. What precipitates the British leaving Boston Harbor in 1776?
4. What precipitates Abigail's sailing to London?
5. The congress voted that there should be how many legislative bodies in the new government?
Short Essay Questions
1. After all the debate, what was the final vote for independence on July 4, 1776?
2. Who did Adams marry?
3. Describe Philadelphia at the time of the First Continental Congress in 1774.
4. What were Abigail's overall impressions of Paris?
5. What was Adams' overall opinion of the First Continental Congress?
6. How did Adams acclimate himself to Holland?
7. Why was Abigail so apprehensive about going to John in Europe?
8. Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" went a long way to rally New Englanders to war. Explain how John Adams found weakness in Paine and his document.
9. Describe the condition of the Auteuil house where the Adamses take up residence in Paris.
10. Where is Adams headed when the book opens?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)