|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what location are Washington's troops fighting the invading British troops in August 1776?
(b) New York
2. "Glorious news" of what event arrives while Adams is in Holland?
(a) The French Revolution is over
(b) The British surrender at Yorktown
(c) Congress has released funds for the army
(d) Abigail has given birth to another son
3. Who is appointed as Adams' official secretary?
(a) Francis Dana
(b) Franklin Bache
(c) Pierce Marshall
(d) Thomas Jefferson
4. In what location does the book begin?
(a) New England
5. For what attribute of his does Adams thank God?
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________________ wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls."
2. Who did John Adams nominate to command the Continental army?
3. With whom does Abigail become good friends while in Paris?
4. What event causes Congress to flee from Philadelphia?
5. What was the Olive Branch Petition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Adams come to realize about the tensions among the American envoys in Paris?
2. How did Adams acclimate himself to Holland?
3. What was the final perception of Adams' role in the fight for independence?
4. Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" went a long way to rally New Englanders to war. Explain how John Adams found weakness in Paine and his document.
5. Describe Philadelphia at the time of the First Continental Congress in 1774.
6. What did Adams do upon arriving in France?
7. What were Adams' initial observations about Paris?
8. After all the debate, what was the final vote for independence on July 4, 1776?
9. Explain the toll that Adams' work in Congress is taking on his personal life.
10. What was Abigail's perspective on John's overseas assignment?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)