|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John find it difficult to do when writing to Abigail?
(a) Professing his love
(b) Betraying his melancholy
(c) Tell her he is staying longer
(d) Ending each letter
2. What event causes Congress to flee from Philadelphia?
(a) The Battle of Saratoga
(b) The Battle of Bunker Hill
(c) A smallpox epidemic
(d) The Battle of Brandywine Creek
3. What major disease was running rampant in 1776?
(d) Bubonic plague
4. Where are John Adams and John Bass going as the book begins?
(a) To a town meeting
(b) To visit George Washington
(c) To church
(d) To France
5. What was the name of the ship on which Adams sailed to Europe?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing that Adams does not like about Paris?
2. Who accompanied Adams to France?
3. Why did Benjamin Franklin go to Canada during this time?
4. Who drafted the first rules and regulations for the U.S. Navy during this time?
5. What British officer did Adams and Franklin travel to meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the winter of 1776-77 were times that stretched the limits of the patriots' forebearance.
2. How did Adams acclimate himself to Holland?
3. Explain the toll that Adams' work in Congress is taking on his personal life.
4. What did Adams come to realize about the tensions among the American envoys in Paris?
5. What are Abigail's first impressions of London after her arrival?
6. What were the three factions vying for power at the Second Continental Congress?
7. What were Abigail's overall impressions of Paris?
8. Describe John Adams.
9. What was Adams' relationship with John Quincy during this time?
10. What was the nature of the meeting requested by British General Howe with Adams, Franklin and Rutledge?
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)