|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what position is Adams appointed in October of 1778?
(a) Commander in Chief of the Army
(b) Admiral of the Navy
(c) Minister Plenipotentiary to England
(d) Prime Minister
2. Why did Abigail think the Southern delegates were hypocritical?
(a) They were working for freedom of the United States but still owned slaves
(b) They wanted a voting system but would not let women vote
(c) They talked about freedom of religion but restricted their parishes
(d) They wanted freedom from England but still kept women dependent
3. Which of the delegates led a movement to reconcile with England?
(a) John Penn
(b) John Dickinson
(c) Thomas Jefferson
(d) John Hancock
4. What British officer did Adams and Franklin travel to meet?
(a) Admiral Lord Howe
(b) Admiral Brattleboro
(c) Major-General William Phillips
(d) Major John Andre
5. According to congress, how long should judges serve?
(a) 15 years
(b) 10 years
(c) For life
(d) 4 years
Short Answer Questions
1. Who defended the British soldiers accused of killing the British citizens?
2. What does Congress appoint Franklin in September of 1778?
3. At what age did John Adams enter Harvard University?
4. What is ultimately signed on September 3, 1783?
5. What was a critical step for the new country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Adams' overall opinion of the First Continental Congress?
2. What did Adams do upon arriving in France?
3. How did Adams spend his time while in Paris in the spring and summer?
4. What were the circumstances of the actual signing of the Declaration of Independence?
5. Where was John born and who were his parents?
6. What was Abigail's perspective on John's overseas assignment?
7. Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" went a long way to rally New Englanders to war. Explain how John Adams found weakness in Paine and his document.
8. What was Adams' relationship with John Quincy during this time?
9. What are Abigail's first impressions of London after her arrival?
10. Why did Adams move to Holland?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)