|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Glorious news" of what event arrives while Adams is in Holland?
(a) Abigail has given birth to another son
(b) Congress has released funds for the army
(c) The British surrender at Yorktown
(d) The French Revolution is over
2. How long did it take for letters to cross the Atlantic?
(a) 6 months
(b) 4 months
(c) 3 months
(d) 2 months
3. To what position is Adams appointed in October of 1778?
(a) Commander in Chief of the Army
(b) Prime Minister
(c) Admiral of the Navy
(d) Minister Plenipotentiary to England
4. To what city does Adams go to attend another session of Congress?
5. For what attribute of his does Adams thank God?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Novangelus?
2. Who took over for Benjamin Franklin as minister to France?
3. Who was reputed to be the wisest and most influential member of the Continental Congress?
4. What does Adams do when the ship is beached for repairs in Spain?
5. What was the main method of communication between John and Abigail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why keeping peace was a guiding principle for Adams in his presidency?
2. How were the Adamses met when they returned to Boston after living in Europe for so long?
3. What was Adams' relationship with John Quincy during this time?
4. What are Abigail's first impressions of London after her arrival?
5. What was the state of the country when Adams turned it over to Jefferson?
6. How did Adams pass his time while on the voyage to France?
7. What did Adams observe about the new America that had emerged in his absence?
8. What were Adams' initial observations about Paris?
9. Explain some of Adams' immediate issues as Head of the War Department.
10. What did Adams come to realize about the tensions among the American envoys in Paris?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)