|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the pamphlet written by Thomas Paine?
(a) The Common Man
(b) A Common Cause
(c) Common Sense
(d) It Just Makes Sense
2. How long did it take for the Declaration of Independence document to be printed for signatures?
(a) 1 month
(b) 1 hour
(c) 1 week
(d) 1 day
3. Who did Adams say depended on Congress' decision to split from England?
(a) Unborn generations
(b) His church
(c) New England
(d) His family
4. What does John find difficult to do when writing to Abigail?
(a) Betraying his melancholy
(b) Tell her he is staying longer
(c) Ending each letter
(d) Professing his love
5. "Glorious news" of what event arrives while Adams is in Holland?
(a) The British surrender at Yorktown
(b) Abigail has given birth to another son
(c) The French Revolution is over
(d) Congress has released funds for the army
Short Answer Questions
1. In what location does the book begin?
2. What appears to be Adams' only joy during this difficult period?
3. What is the name of John Adams' wife?
4. ___________________ wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls."
5. When was the Boston Tea Party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Adams' three main objectives for the Second Continental Congress?
2. Where is Adams headed when the book opens?
3. Explain the toll that Adams' work in Congress is taking on his personal life.
4. What was the final perception of Adams' role in the fight for independence?
5. What was Adams' experience at the Second Continental Congress which began in February of 1776?
6. How did Adams spend his time while in Paris in the spring and summer?
7. Explain how the winter of 1776-77 were times that "stretched the limits of the patriots' forbearance".
8. How were the Adamses met when they returned to Boston after living in Europe for so long?
9. What were Adams' main points in his presidential inauguration speech in March of 1797?
10. What was the state of the country when Adams turned it over to Jefferson?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)