|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what position is Adams appointed in October of 1778?
(a) Admiral of the Navy
(b) Minister Plenipotentiary to England
(c) Commander in Chief of the Army
(d) Prime Minister
2. Who defended the British soldiers accused of killing the British citizens?
(a) John Adams
(b) Samuel Adams
(c) Thomas Paine
(d) Thomas Jefferson
3. What did Adams do in May of 1782?
(a) Traveled to Russia
(b) Resigned his post in Holland
(c) Returned home to Abigail
(d) Raised the American flag at the first U.S. embassy in the world
4. Who helps Adams become acclimated to living in Paris?
(a) Francois Ledeaux
(b) Silas Deane
(c) Benjamin Franklin
(d) Franklin Bache
5. On what day was the Declaration of Independence approved?
(a) July 4, 1775
(b) July 5, 1776
(c) July 1, 1776
(d) July 4, 1776
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did John Adams nominate to command the Continental army?
2. How old was Benjamin Franklin at the time of the Second Continental Congress?
3. Where was John Adams born?
4. What precipitates the British leaving Boston Harbor in 1776?
5. Which American envoy was sending secret messages to London?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the winter of 1776-77 were times that stretched the limits of the patriots' forebearance.
2. Where is Adams headed when the book opens?
3. Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" went a long way to rally New Englanders to war. Explain how John Adams found weakness in Paine and his document.
4. How did Adams pass his time while on the voyage to France?
5. Why was Abigail so apprehensive about going to John in Europe?
6. Where was John born and who were his parents?
7. What historic event severely wounded Adams' law practice in Boston?
8. What were Abigail's overall impressions of Paris?
9. How did Adams acclimate himself to Holland?
10. What was the final perception of Adams' role in the fight for independence?
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)