|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What precipitates Abigail's sailing to London?
(a) She and John are going on a second honeymoon
(b) She wants Nabby to have an English education
(c) John is ill and needs her
(d) John is appointed Ambassador to the British Court
2. At what age did John Adams enter Harvard University?
3. What did the people of Boston call an event where five citizens were killed by British soldiers?
(a) A case for vengeance
(b) The final straw
(c) The last insult
(d) The Boston Massacre
4. Which American envoy was sending secret messages to London?
(a) William Pierce
(b) David Heartley
(c) Arthur Lee
(d) Edward Bancroft
5. Where was the boarding school in which Adams enrolled his sons located?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did John Adams go to Philadelphia in 1774?
2. What event causes Congress to flee from Philadelphia?
3. What British officer did Adams and Franklin travel to meet?
4. According to congress, how long should judges serve?
5. What was an important topic of debate related to the Articles of Confederation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Abigail's perspective on John's overseas assignment?
2. Explain some of Adams' immediate issues as Head of the War Department.
3. Who did Adams marry?
4. Where is Adams headed when the book opens?
5. What was the final perception of Adams' role in the fight for independence?
6. What did Adams come to realize about the tensions among the American envoys in Paris?
7. What did Adams do upon arriving in France?
8. After all the debate, what was the final vote for independence on July 4, 1776?
9. Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" went a long way to rally New Englanders to war. Explain how John Adams found weakness in Paine and his document.
10. What was Adams' overall opinion of the First Continental Congress?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)