|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who surprisingly has much in common with John Adams?
(a) The Marquis de Lafayette
(b) King George III
(c) King Louis XVI
(d) The Pope
2. To what government office is John Quincy elected after returning from Europe?
(a) Mayor of Quincy
(b) Massachusetts Senate
(c) U.S. Congress
(d) Governor of Massachusetts
3. Who is appointed commander in chief of the new provisional army?
(a) William Smith
(b) Alexander Hamilton
(c) John Howe
(d) George Washington
4. How does Thomas Jefferson now view Adams?
(a) As an embarrassment
(b) As presidential material
(c) As his best friend
(d) As the smartest man in the government
5. With whom does Adams begin a pleasant correspondence through letters?
(a) Dr. Benjamin Rush
(b) Martha Washington
(c) Nabby Adams Smith
(d) John Jay
6. What prevented Adams from attending his mother's funeral?
(a) Religious differences
(b) Threatening weather
(c) A long-standing feud
(d) The prospect of war
7. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
8. What is the name of the Adams family farm in Quincy?
(a) Belle Monde
9. What is Adams' main objective during this period of his presidency?
(a) Establish a voting system
(b) Abolish slavery
(c) Avoid war with France
(d) Settle the western territory
10. Who visits with the Adamses for a short while in England?
(a) George and Martha Washington
(b) Benjamin Franklin
(c) Polly Jefferson and Sally Hemings
(d) The Marquis de Lafayette and his wife
11. What did many people do at Washington's departure?
12. To what does Abigail compare John when he is deluged with opposition in Philadelphia?
(a) Salt of the earth
(b) An old oak
(c) A rock
(d) An anchor
13. Who did Adams fear would lead a military coup and return the country to British rule?
14. With what disease is Nabby diagnosed?
(d) Breast cancer
15. What is the name of the Adamses new grandchild born to John Quincy and Louisa Catherine Adams?
(a) George Washington Adams
(b) Charles Quincy Adams
(c) John Quincy Adams II
(d) Abigail Elizabeth Adams
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John take Abigail for a five-week tour?
2. What does Dr. Rush call Adams and Jefferson?
3. On what day did both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die?
4. What was a main topic of discussion among New Englanders during 1814?
5. What did Abigail say she felt like when setting out to join John in Philadelphia?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)