|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interest did Adams and Jefferson share?
2. What is the state of Nabby's marriage?
(d) Very happy
3. What is John and Abigail's position on political office after Adams leaves the presidency?
(a) They will entertain all offers
(b) They have not thought about it yet
(c) There are a few positions they would consider
(d) They have no interest in any more public office
4. What did the Adamses find when they returned to Boston?
(a) Hostility toward the family
(b) A huge homecoming celebration
(c) Mayhem and confusion
(d) A town they did not recognize
5. Who does Washington name as Secretary of State?
(a) Alexander Hamilton
(b) Henry Knox
(c) Thomas Jefferson
(d) John Jay
6. What near-fatal illness does Abigail contract?
(a) Scarlet fever
(c) Typhoid fever
7. What is King George III's demeanor toward Adams in their first formal meeting?
8. How does Thomas Jefferson now view Adams?
(a) As an embarrassment
(b) As presidential material
(c) As the smartest man in the government
(d) As his best friend
9. What did many people do at Washington's departure?
10. What does Adams abandon after trying for a year?
(a) Learning to paint with oils
(b) Learning to speak Italian
(c) Writing his autobiography
(d) Cross pollinating different varieties of vegetables
11. Who was the artist of the famous painting of the signing of the Declaration of Independence?
(a) John Trumbull
(b) Andrew Wyeth
(d) John Singer Sargent
12. Where does John take Abigail for a five-week tour?
13. Who is William Steuben Smith?
(a) The new Secretary of State
(b) The Adamses first grandchild
(c) The Secretary of the Interior
(d) Adams' secretary
14. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
(a) Somali pirates
(b) Barbary pirates
(c) British port authority
(d) French navy
15. Why was Adams so pleased with John Quincy's appointment as Secretary of State?
(a) He would be making more money
(b) The last three presidents had held that office
(c) He would be closer to home
(d) He could ask Adams for advice
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Adams especially glad to see?
2. Which city has hopes of becoming the country's permanent capital?
3. What is the name of the Adams family farm in Quincy?
4. How long had Adams lived overseas at the time he returns home in 1788?
5. What is the name of the Adamses new grandchild born to John Quincy and Louisa Catherine Adams?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)