|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state does Adams find Washington when he arrives?
(a) A mosquito-infested swamp
(b) Glittering in the sun
(c) Barren and dry
(d) Bleak and abandoned
2. Who led the anti-American initiatives in England?
3. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
(a) Barbary pirates
(b) Somali pirates
(c) British port authority
(d) French navy
4. What did many people do at Washington's departure?
5. How long had Adams lived overseas at the time he returns home in 1788?
(a) 5 years
(b) 10 years
(c) 3 years
(d) 7 years
6. What does Dr. Rush call Adams and Jefferson?
(a) The North and South Poles of the American Revolution
(b) America's finest
(c) The salt of the earth
(d) Two old fools
7. What illness strikes many, including Washington, in May of 1790?
(c) Scarlet fever
8. Of what disease does Abigail die?
(b) Typhoid fever
9. Who is elected Vice President when Adams is elected President?
(a) Alexander Hamilton
(b) John Jay
(c) Thomas Jefferson
(d) Aaron Burr
10. To what did John Quincy attribute the fact that Jefferson and his father died on the same day?
(a) Divine favor toward the U.S.
(b) The power of the human spirit
(c) A tremendous bond between friends
(d) A tribute to freedom
11. For what reason did Adams will himself to stay alive?
(a) He promised Abigail
(b) To see his great grandchildren
(c) To see John Quincy elected president
(d) To observe the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence
12. What did Abigail say she felt like when setting out to join John in Philadelphia?
(a) The good samaritan
(b) Noah's dove returning to the ark
(c) The prodigal son
(d) A dutiful wife
13. What is Adams' main objective during this period of his presidency?
(a) Settle the western territory
(b) Avoid war with France
(c) Abolish slavery
(d) Establish a voting system
14. With whom does Adams begin a pleasant correspondence through letters?
(a) Martha Washington
(b) Dr. Benjamin Rush
(c) John Jay
(d) Nabby Adams Smith
15. To what government office is John Quincy elected after returning from Europe?
(a) U.S. Congress
(b) Massachusetts Senate
(c) Governor of Massachusetts
(d) Mayor of Quincy
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sally Hemings?
2. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
3. What controversial nomination did Adams make as minister plenipotentiary to the French Republic in the matter of negotiating a new treaty?
4. To what does Abigail compare John when he is deluged with opposition in Philadelphia?
5. What is the name of the Adams family farm in Quincy?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)