|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
(a) British port authority
(b) Barbary pirates
(c) French navy
(d) Somali pirates
2. Who was Adams especially glad to see?
(a) His grown sons
(b) His best friend
(c) His parents
(d) His neighbors
3. By what name do some of Adams' opponents call him?
(a) The Little Napoleon
(b) Farmer Brown
(c) The Village Idiot
(d) The President by Three Votes
4. Of what disease does Charles Adams die?
5. Who wrote A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America?
(a) William Pierce
(b) John Adams
(c) George Washington
(d) Thomas Jefferson
6. For what reason did Adams will himself to stay alive?
(a) To see his great grandchildren
(b) He promised Abigail
(c) To see John Quincy elected president
(d) To observe the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence
7. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
8. Who is elected Vice President when Adams is elected President?
(a) Thomas Jefferson
(b) Alexander Hamilton
(c) Aaron Burr
(d) John Jay
9. What happens when John and Abigail lose their life savings in imprudent investments?
(a) They move to town
(b) They move in with John Quincy
(c) They buy a smaller farm
(d) John Quincy buys Stoneyfield for them
10. Who did Adams fear would lead a military coup and return the country to British rule?
11. Why was Adams so pleased with John Quincy's appointment as Secretary of State?
(a) He would be closer to home
(b) He could ask Adams for advice
(c) The last three presidents had held that office
(d) He would be making more money
12. What prevented Adams from attending his mother's funeral?
(a) The prospect of war
(b) A long-standing feud
(c) Religious differences
(d) Threatening weather
13. What is the name of the Adams family farm in Quincy?
(b) Belle Monde
14. What do Adams and Jefferson do to take a break from diplomatic matters?
(a) Go fishing
(b) Go to bookstores
(c) Tour British historical sites
(d) Tour English gardens
15. Which city has hopes of becoming the country's permanent capital?
(d) New York
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Washington choose to help organize the new army?
2. What near-fatal illness does Abigail contract?
3. Where does John take Abigail for a five-week tour?
4. What event takes American by surprise in 1789?
5. How long had Adams lived overseas at the time he returns home in 1788?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)