|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Adamses find when they returned to Boston?
(a) Mayhem and confusion
(b) Hostility toward the family
(c) A town they did not recognize
(d) A huge homecoming celebration
2. Of what disease does Abigail die?
(d) Typhoid fever
3. ____________________ is eulogized as "first in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen."
4. What is the state of Nabby's marriage?
(b) Very happy
5. What near-fatal illness does Abigail contract?
(a) Scarlet fever
(c) Typhoid fever
6. What did many people do at Washington's departure?
7. What does Adams abandon after trying for a year?
(a) Learning to paint with oils
(b) Learning to speak Italian
(c) Writing his autobiography
(d) Cross pollinating different varieties of vegetables
8. What U.S. institution is established in 1800?
(a) The Library of Congress
(b) The Smithsonian Institution
(c) The Liberty Bell
(d) The Capitol building
9. Why was Adams so pleased with John Quincy's appointment as Secretary of State?
(a) The last three presidents had held that office
(b) He could ask Adams for advice
(c) He would be closer to home
(d) He would be making more money
10. What topic did Jefferson refuse to debate with Adams?
11. What does Dr. Rush call Adams and Jefferson?
(a) The North and South Poles of the American Revolution
(b) America's finest
(c) Two old fools
(d) The salt of the earth
12. What event takes American by surprise in 1789?
(a) The French Revolution
(b) The resignation of Thomas Jefferson
(c) The French and Indian War
(d) The death of King George III
13. Who designed the layout for the new federal capital?
(a) Henry Gates
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) Frank Lloyd Wright
(d) William Smith
14. Who did Washington choose to help organize the new army?
(a) George Logan
(b) Alexander Hamilton
(c) John Quincy Adams
(d) William Smith
15. What is the name of the Adams family farm in Quincy?
(d) Belle Monde
Short Answer Questions
1. To what government office is John Quincy elected after returning from Europe?
2. What prevented Adams from attending his mother's funeral?
3. What is Adams' main objective during this period of his presidency?
4. What is John and Abigail's position on holding political office after Adams leaves the presidency?
5. What is King George III's demeanor toward Adams in their first formal meeting?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)