|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What statement did Washington add to his presidential oath of office?
(a) So help me God.
(b) God bless the United States of America
(c) Give me liberty or give me death.
(d) United we stand, divided we fall.
2. What interest did Adams and Jefferson share?
3. Who is Sally Hemings?
(a) Nabby's best friend
(b) Jefferson's slave with whom he reportedly had an intimate relationship for many years
(c) Abigail's new dressmaker
(d) The housekeeper at Stoneyfield
4. Why does Adams say that Vice President is the only position he will accept?
(a) Washington will surely be elected President and anything else is beneath him
(b) He is tired of public office
(c) He is a better administrator than leader
(d) He does not want to be President
5. What happens when John and Abigail lose their life savings in imprudent investments?
(a) John Quincy buys Stoneyfield for them
(b) They buy a smaller farm
(c) They move in with John Quincy
(d) They move to town
6. Of what disease does Charles Adams die?
7. What event takes American by surprise in 1789?
(a) The French Revolution
(b) The death of King George III
(c) The French and Indian War
(d) The resignation of Thomas Jefferson
8. What does Dr. Rush call Adams and Jefferson?
(a) The North and South Poles of the American Revolution
(b) The salt of the earth
(c) Two old fools
(d) America's finest
9. How many children did King George III of England have?
10. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
11. With whom does Adams begin a pleasant correspondence through letters?
(a) Martha Washington
(b) John Jay
(c) Nabby Adams Smith
(d) Dr. Benjamin Rush
12. Who did Adams fear would lead a military coup and return the country to British rule?
13. Who does Washington name as Secretary of State?
(a) Henry Knox
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) Alexander Hamilton
(d) John Jay
14. What prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
(a) Her terminal illness diagnosis
(b) The death of their daughter, Nabby
(c) The death of his daughter, Polly
(d) John's terminal illness diagnosis
15. Who was the artist of the famous painting of the signing of the Declaration of Independence?
(a) John Trumbull
(c) John Singer Sargent
(d) Andrew Wyeth
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does Adams find Washington when he arrives?
2. What does Adams abandon after trying for a year?
3. What is the state of Nabby's marriage?
4. On what day did both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die?
5. Who visits with the Adamses for a short while in England?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)