|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Adamses find when they returned to Boston?
(a) Mayhem and confusion
(b) A town they did not recognize
(c) Hostility toward the family
(d) A huge homecoming celebration
2. Who visits with the Adamses for a short while in England?
(a) Benjamin Franklin
(b) The Marquis de Lafayette and his wife
(c) Polly Jefferson and Sally Hemings
(d) George and Martha Washington
3. To what government office is John Quincy elected after returning from Europe?
(a) U.S. Congress
(b) Massachusetts Senate
(c) Governor of Massachusetts
(d) Mayor of Quincy
4. What is John and Abigail's position on political office after Adams leaves the presidency?
(a) They have no interest in any more public office
(b) They will entertain all offers
(c) There are a few positions they would consider
(d) They have not thought about it yet
5. Who was the artist of the famous painting of the signing of the Declaration of Independence?
(b) John Trumbull
(c) John Singer Sargent
(d) Andrew Wyeth
6. What does Adams abandon after trying for a year?
(a) Learning to paint with oils
(b) Cross pollinating different varieties of vegetables
(c) Writing his autobiography
(d) Learning to speak Italian
7. What is King George III's demeanor toward Adams in their first formal meeting?
8. Who is Sally Hemings?
(a) The housekeeper at Stoneyfield
(b) Nabby's best friend
(c) Jefferson's slave with whom he reportedly had an intimate relationship for many years
(d) Abigail's new dressmaker
9. What does Adams call Washington in a letter written a year earlier that surfaces and is printed in a newspaper?
10. What controversial nomination did Adams make as minister plenipotentiary to the French Republic in the matter of negotiating a new treaty?
(a) Charles Adams
(b) William Vans Murray
(c) John Quincy Adams
(d) John Jay
11. ____________________ is eulogized as "first in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen."
12. With whom does Adams begin a pleasant correspondence through letters?
(a) Martha Washington
(b) Nabby Adams Smith
(c) Dr. Benjamin Rush
(d) John Jay
13. On what day did both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die?
(a) July 1, 1826
(b) June 30, 1825
(c) December 25, 1826
(d) July 4, 1826
14. What statement did Washington add to his presidential oath of office?
(a) United we stand, divided we fall.
(b) God bless the United States of America
(c) So help me God.
(d) Give me liberty or give me death.
15. Who is William Steuben Smith?
(a) Adams' secretary
(b) The Adamses first grandchild
(c) The new Secretary of State
(d) The Secretary of the Interior
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness strikes many, including Washington, in May of 1790?
2. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
3. Who surprisingly has much in common with John Adams?
4. What U.S. institution is established in 1800?
5. What prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)