|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Abigail compare John when he is deluged with opposition in Philadelphia?
(a) An old oak
(b) Salt of the earth
(c) A rock
(d) An anchor
2. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
(a) Barbary pirates
(b) British port authority
(c) Somali pirates
(d) French navy
3. What topic did Jefferson refuse to debate with Adams?
4. What do Adams and Jefferson do to take a break from diplomatic matters?
(a) Go to bookstores
(b) Tour English gardens
(c) Tour British historical sites
(d) Go fishing
5. Who was the artist of the famous painting of the signing of the Declaration of Independence?
(b) John Trumbull
(c) Andrew Wyeth
(d) John Singer Sargent
6. How does Thomas Jefferson now view Adams?
(a) As the smartest man in the government
(b) As an embarrassment
(c) As his best friend
(d) As presidential material
7. Who wrote A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America?
(a) Thomas Jefferson
(b) William Pierce
(c) John Adams
(d) George Washington
8. Which of the following topics did Jefferson and Adams discuss?
(a) Sally Hemings
(b) Jefferson's finances
9. What is King George III's demeanor toward Adams in their first formal meeting?
10. Who visits with the Adamses for a short while in England?
(a) The Marquis de Lafayette and his wife
(b) George and Martha Washington
(c) Benjamin Franklin
(d) Polly Jefferson and Sally Hemings
11. Why was Adams so pleased with John Quincy's appointment as Secretary of State?
(a) He would be making more money
(b) He could ask Adams for advice
(c) He would be closer to home
(d) The last three presidents had held that office
12. How many children did King George III of England have?
13. To what government office is John Quincy elected after returning from Europe?
(a) Governor of Massachusetts
(b) Mayor of Quincy
(c) U.S. Congress
(d) Massachusetts Senate
14. What U.S. institution is established in 1800?
(a) The Capitol building
(b) The Library of Congress
(c) The Liberty Bell
(d) The Smithsonian Institution
15. Who is Sally Hemings?
(a) Jefferson's slave with whom he reportedly had an intimate relationship for many years
(b) The housekeeper at Stoneyfield
(c) Nabby's best friend
(d) Abigail's new dressmaker
Short Answer Questions
1. What addition did the Adamses make to their home?
2. What is the name of the Adamses new grandchild born to John Quincy and Louisa Catherine Adams?
3. Why does Adams say that Vice President is the only position he will accept?
4. What is Adams' conclusion about keeping Washington's cabinet?
5. After learning of his son, Charles', indiscriminate behavior, what does Adams do?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)