|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who surprisingly has much in common with John Adams?
(a) The Pope
(b) King George III
(c) The Marquis de Lafayette
(d) King Louis XVI
2. What addition did the Adamses make to their home?
3. By what name do some of Adams' opponents call him?
(a) The Little Napoleon
(b) The President by Three Votes
(c) The Village Idiot
(d) Farmer Brown
4. How many children did King George III of England have?
5. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
6. What near-fatal illness does Abigail contract?
(a) Scarlet fever
(c) Typhoid fever
7. Who is William Steuben Smith?
(a) Adams' secretary
(b) The new Secretary of State
(c) The Secretary of the Interior
(d) The Adamses first grandchild
8. Which of the following topics did Jefferson and Adams discuss?
(c) Sally Hemings
(d) Jefferson's finances
9. How many months did Adams govern from his Quincy home instead of Philadelphia in 1799?
10. Who was Adams especially glad to see?
(a) His grown sons
(b) His best friend
(c) His neighbors
(d) His parents
11. With whom does Adams begin a pleasant correspondence through letters?
(a) Nabby Adams Smith
(b) Dr. Benjamin Rush
(c) John Jay
(d) Martha Washington
12. Why does Adams say that Vice President is the only position he will accept?
(a) Washington will surely be elected President and anything else is beneath him
(b) He is a better administrator than leader
(c) He does not want to be President
(d) He is tired of public office
13. What U.S. institution is established in 1800?
(a) The Capitol building
(b) The Library of Congress
(c) The Liberty Bell
(d) The Smithsonian Institution
14. What was Adams' legacy to his grandchildren?
(a) Walk softly but carry a big stick.
(b) Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough.
(c) What goes around comes around.
(d) The early bird gets the worm.
15. To what government office is John Quincy elected after returning from Europe?
(a) Massachusetts Senate
(b) Mayor of Quincy
(c) Governor of Massachusetts
(d) U.S. Congress
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Washington name as Secretary of State?
2. Who led the opposition effort against Adams?
3. What do Adams and Jefferson do to take a break from diplomatic matters?
4. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
5. What statement did Washington add to his presidential oath of office?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)