|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day did both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die?
(a) July 1, 1826
(b) December 25, 1826
(c) June 30, 1825
(d) July 4, 1826
2. What illness strikes many, including Washington, in May of 1790?
(b) Scarlet fever
3. What topic did Jefferson refuse to debate with Adams?
4. What do Adams and Jefferson do to take a break from diplomatic matters?
(a) Go fishing
(b) Go to bookstores
(c) Tour English gardens
(d) Tour British historical sites
5. What controversial nomination did Adams make as minister plenipotentiary to the French Republic in the matter of negotiating a new treaty?
(a) William Vans Murray
(b) John Jay
(c) Charles Adams
(d) John Quincy Adams
6. For what reason did Adams will himself to stay alive?
(a) To see his great grandchildren
(b) To observe the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence
(c) To see John Quincy elected president
(d) He promised Abigail
7. Why was Adams so pleased with John Quincy's appointment as Secretary of State?
(a) He would be closer to home
(b) The last three presidents had held that office
(c) He could ask Adams for advice
(d) He would be making more money
8. Which of the following topics did Jefferson and Adams discuss?
(c) Sally Hemings
(d) Jefferson's finances
9. Which city has hopes of becoming the country's permanent capital?
(c) New York
10. Of what disease does Abigail die?
(a) Typhoid fever
11. Who does Washington name as Secretary of State?
(a) Alexander Hamilton
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) Henry Knox
(d) John Jay
12. What did many people do at Washington's departure?
13. Who is appointed commander in chief of the new provisional army?
(a) Alexander Hamilton
(b) William Smith
(c) George Washington
(d) John Howe
14. To what government office is John Quincy elected after returning from Europe?
(a) Governor of Massachusetts
(b) Mayor of Quincy
(c) Massachusetts Senate
(d) U.S. Congress
15. How did Adams perceive the Vice Presidency?
(a) A civilized way to pass time
(b) A monument to service
(c) A do-nothing job
(d) A great honor
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Washington choose to help organize the new army?
2. Who led the opposition effort against Adams?
3. What near-fatal illness does Abigail contract?
4. What happens when John and Abigail lose their life savings in imprudent investments?
5. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)