|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After learning of his son, Charles', indiscriminate behavior, what does Adams do?
(a) Gets him psychological help
(b) Gives him money
(c) Sends him to a sanitorium
(d) Renounces him
2. What prevented Adams from attending his mother's funeral?
(a) The prospect of war
(b) Religious differences
(c) Threatening weather
(d) A long-standing feud
3. To what did John Quincy attribute the fact that Jefferson and his father died on the same day?
(a) The power of the human spirit
(b) A tremendous bond between friends
(c) Divine favor toward the U.S.
(d) A tribute to freedom
4. Who did Washington choose to help organize the new army?
(a) Alexander Hamilton
(b) George Logan
(c) John Quincy Adams
(d) William Smith
5. Who led the opposition effort against Adams?
(a) Thomas Jefferson
(b) Alexander Hamilton
(c) John Pickering
(d) Aaron Burr
6. Of what disease does Charles Adams die?
7. What topic did Jefferson refuse to debate with Adams?
8. What do Adams and Jefferson do to take a break from diplomatic matters?
(a) Go to bookstores
(b) Go fishing
(c) Tour English gardens
(d) Tour British historical sites
9. On what day did both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die?
(a) July 4, 1826
(b) June 30, 1825
(c) December 25, 1826
(d) July 1, 1826
10. What is the state of Nabby's marriage?
(d) Very happy
11. How long had Adams lived overseas at the time he returns home in 1788?
(a) 7 years
(b) 10 years
(c) 3 years
(d) 5 years
12. What happens when John and Abigail lose their life savings in imprudent investments?
(a) They buy a smaller farm
(b) They move in with John Quincy
(c) They move to town
(d) John Quincy buys Stoneyfield for them
13. Who wrote A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America?
(a) Thomas Jefferson
(b) John Adams
(c) William Pierce
(d) George Washington
14. What statement did Washington add to his presidential oath of office?
(a) So help me God.
(b) United we stand, divided we fall.
(c) God bless the United States of America
(d) Give me liberty or give me death.
15. In what state does Adams find Washington when he arrives?
(a) A mosquito-infested swamp
(b) Bleak and abandoned
(c) Glittering in the sun
(d) Barren and dry
Short Answer Questions
1. What U.S. institution is established in 1800?
2. ____________________ is eulogized as "first in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen."
3. Who did Adams fear would lead a military coup and return the country to British rule?
4. To what does Abigail compare John when he is deluged with opposition in Philadelphia?
5. What event takes American by surprise in 1789?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)