|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To where is the nation's capital moved in 1800?
(a) New York
(c) Washington, D.C.
2. After learning of his son, Charles', indiscriminate behavior, what does Adams do?
(a) Renounces him
(b) Gets him psychological help
(c) Sends him to a sanitorium
(d) Gives him money
3. To what does Abigail compare John when he is deluged with opposition in Philadelphia?
(a) A rock
(b) An anchor
(c) Salt of the earth
(d) An old oak
4. Who does Nabby marry in 1786?
(a) Marquis de Lafayette
(b) Franklin Bache
(c) James Hemings
(d) Col. William Stephens Smith
5. What did the Adamses find when they returned to Boston?
(a) Hostility toward the family
(b) A town they did not recognize
(c) Mayhem and confusion
(d) A huge homecoming celebration
6. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
7. Which of the following topics did Jefferson and Adams discuss?
(c) Sally Hemings
(d) Jefferson's finances
8. How does Thomas Jefferson now view Adams?
(a) As the smartest man in the government
(b) As his best friend
(c) As presidential material
(d) As an embarrassment
9. What is the name of the Adamses new grandchild born to John Quincy and Louisa Catherine Adams?
(a) John Quincy Adams II
(b) George Washington Adams
(c) Charles Quincy Adams
(d) Abigail Elizabeth Adams
10. With what disease is Nabby diagnosed?
(a) Breast cancer
11. Who is appointed commander in chief of the new provisional army?
(a) William Smith
(b) Alexander Hamilton
(c) George Washington
(d) John Howe
12. Who did Washington choose to help organize the new army?
(a) William Smith
(b) John Quincy Adams
(c) George Logan
(d) Alexander Hamilton
13. Who did Adams fear would lead a military coup and return the country to British rule?
14. What event takes American by surprise in 1789?
(a) The resignation of Thomas Jefferson
(b) The French and Indian War
(c) The death of King George III
(d) The French Revolution
15. Who visits with the Adamses for a short while in England?
(a) George and Martha Washington
(b) Benjamin Franklin
(c) The Marquis de Lafayette and his wife
(d) Polly Jefferson and Sally Hemings
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
2. What U.S. institution is established in 1800?
3. What is the state of Nabby's marriage?
4. By what name do some of Adams' opponents call him?
5. To what government office is John Quincy elected after returning from Europe?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)