|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
(a) The death of his daughter, Polly
(b) Her terminal illness diagnosis
(c) The death of their daughter, Nabby
(d) John's terminal illness diagnosis
2. What addition did the Adamses make to their home?
3. Who does Washington name as Secretary of State?
(a) Alexander Hamilton
(b) John Jay
(c) Thomas Jefferson
(d) Henry Knox
4. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
(a) British port authority
(b) Somali pirates
(c) French navy
(d) Barbary pirates
5. What illness strikes many, including Washington, in May of 1790?
(d) Scarlet fever
6. How long had Adams lived overseas at the time he returns home in 1788?
(a) 10 years
(b) 7 years
(c) 5 years
(d) 3 years
7. What statement did Washington add to his presidential oath of office?
(a) So help me God.
(b) Give me liberty or give me death.
(c) United we stand, divided we fall.
(d) God bless the United States of America
8. What did many people do at Washington's departure?
9. What U.S. institution is established in 1800?
(a) The Capitol building
(b) The Smithsonian Institution
(c) The Library of Congress
(d) The Liberty Bell
10. How did Adams perceive the Vice Presidency?
(a) A civilized way to pass time
(b) A monument to service
(c) A do-nothing job
(d) A great honor
11. What is Adams' conclusion about keeping Washington's cabinet?
(a) It was a good decision
(b) He had not considered it yet
(c) He was still undecided
(d) It was a mistake
12. What topic did Jefferson refuse to debate with Adams?
13. ____________________ is eulogized as "first in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen."
14. Who is elected Vice President when Adams is elected President?
(a) John Jay
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) Aaron Burr
(d) Alexander Hamilton
15. What does Adams abandon after trying for a year?
(a) Cross pollinating different varieties of vegetables
(b) Learning to speak Italian
(c) Learning to paint with oils
(d) Writing his autobiography
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Adams' main objective during this period of his presidency?
2. What interest did Adams and Jefferson share?
3. Who does Nabby marry in 1786?
4. What is the name of the Adams family farm in Quincy?
5. Where does John take Abigail for a five-week tour?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)