|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Adamses find when they returned to Boston?
(a) Mayhem and confusion
(b) A town they did not recognize
(c) Hostility toward the family
(d) A huge homecoming celebration
2. What controversial nomination did Adams make as minister plenipotentiary to the French Republic in the matter of negotiating a new treaty?
(a) Charles Adams
(b) William Vans Murray
(c) John Quincy Adams
(d) John Jay
3. What does Adams abandon after trying for a year?
(a) Cross pollinating different varieties of vegetables
(b) Learning to speak Italian
(c) Learning to paint with oils
(d) Writing his autobiography
4. ____________________ is eulogized as "first in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen."
5. What was a main topic of discussion among New Englanders during 1814?
(a) Secession from the union
(b) Crop prices
(c) Shipping prices
(d) Maritime pirates
6. Who did Adams fear would lead a military coup and return the country to British rule?
7. How does Thomas Jefferson now view Adams?
(a) As an embarrassment
(b) As his best friend
(c) As the smartest man in the government
(d) As presidential material
8. To where is the nation's capital moved in 1800?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) New York
9. Who surprisingly has much in common with John Adams?
(a) The Pope
(b) King George III
(c) The Marquis de Lafayette
(d) King Louis XVI
10. What is Adams' main objective during this period of his presidency?
(a) Abolish slavery
(b) Settle the western territory
(c) Establish a voting system
(d) Avoid war with France
11. What does Dr. Rush call Adams and Jefferson?
(a) Two old fools
(b) The North and South Poles of the American Revolution
(c) The salt of the earth
(d) America's finest
12. On what day did both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die?
(a) June 30, 1825
(b) December 25, 1826
(c) July 4, 1826
(d) July 1, 1826
13. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
14. Who is appointed commander in chief of the new provisional army?
(a) George Washington
(b) William Smith
(c) John Howe
(d) Alexander Hamilton
15. Who led the anti-American initiatives in England?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John and Abigail's position on political office after Adams leaves the presidency?
2. How did Adams perceive the Vice Presidency?
3. To what did John Quincy attribute the fact that Jefferson and his father died on the same day?
4. What U.S. institution is established in 1800?
5. Who led the opposition effort against Adams?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)