|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Sally Hemings?
(a) Abigail's new dressmaker
(b) The housekeeper at Stoneyfield
(c) Jefferson's slave with whom he reportedly had an intimate relationship for many years
(d) Nabby's best friend
2. What is John and Abigail's position on political office after Adams leaves the presidency?
(a) They have no interest in any more public office
(b) They will entertain all offers
(c) They have not thought about it yet
(d) There are a few positions they would consider
3. With whom does Adams begin a pleasant correspondence through letters?
(a) John Jay
(b) Nabby Adams Smith
(c) Dr. Benjamin Rush
(d) Martha Washington
4. What is King George III's demeanor toward Adams in their first formal meeting?
5. Which of the following topics did Jefferson and Adams discuss?
(c) Sally Hemings
(d) Jefferson's finances
6. What does Dr. Rush call Adams and Jefferson?
(a) America's finest
(b) The salt of the earth
(c) Two old fools
(d) The North and South Poles of the American Revolution
7. How many months did Adams govern from his Quincy home instead of Philadelphia in 1799?
8. Who is appointed commander in chief of the new provisional army?
(a) Alexander Hamilton
(b) George Washington
(c) John Howe
(d) William Smith
9. Why does Adams say that Vice President is the only position he will accept?
(a) Washington will surely be elected President and anything else is beneath him
(b) He is a better administrator than leader
(c) He is tired of public office
(d) He does not want to be President
10. Who is killed in a duel with Aaron burr in 1804?
(a) Alexander Hamilton
(b) William Pickering
(c) Benjamin Arnold
(d) John Jay
11. What is Adams' conclusion about keeping Washington's cabinet?
(a) It was a good decision
(b) He was still undecided
(c) It was a mistake
(d) He had not considered it yet
12. What U.S. institution is established in 1800?
(a) The Liberty Bell
(b) The Library of Congress
(c) The Smithsonian Institution
(d) The Capitol building
13. How does Thomas Jefferson now view Adams?
(a) As presidential material
(b) As an embarrassment
(c) As his best friend
(d) As the smartest man in the government
14. After learning of his son, Charles', indiscriminate behavior, what does Adams do?
(a) Gives him money
(b) Renounces him
(c) Sends him to a sanitorium
(d) Gets him psychological help
15. Who is William Steuben Smith?
(a) The new Secretary of State
(b) The Secretary of the Interior
(c) Adams' secretary
(d) The Adamses first grandchild
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does Adams find Washington when he arrives?
2. On what day did both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die?
3. What event takes American by surprise in 1789?
4. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
5. What did the Adamses find when they returned to Boston?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)