|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Adams and Jefferson do to take a break from diplomatic matters?
(a) Go fishing
(b) Tour English gardens
(c) Tour British historical sites
(d) Go to bookstores
2. To what did John Quincy attribute the fact that Jefferson and his father died on the same day?
(a) The power of the human spirit
(b) A tremendous bond between friends
(c) A tribute to freedom
(d) Divine favor toward the U.S.
3. In what state does Adams find Washington when he arrives?
(a) Barren and dry
(b) Bleak and abandoned
(c) A mosquito-infested swamp
(d) Glittering in the sun
4. What does Dr. Rush call Adams and Jefferson?
(a) America's finest
(b) The salt of the earth
(c) The North and South Poles of the American Revolution
(d) Two old fools
5. With what disease is Nabby diagnosed?
(d) Breast cancer
6. How many months did Adams govern from his Quincy home instead of Philadelphia in 1799?
7. What is Adams' main objective during this period of his presidency?
(a) Establish a voting system
(b) Abolish slavery
(c) Avoid war with France
(d) Settle the western territory
8. With whom does Adams begin a pleasant correspondence through letters?
(a) Nabby Adams Smith
(b) John Jay
(c) Dr. Benjamin Rush
(d) Martha Washington
9. What prevented Adams from attending his mother's funeral?
(a) A long-standing feud
(b) Threatening weather
(c) The prospect of war
(d) Religious differences
10. Of what disease does Charles Adams die?
11. Who was the artist of the famous painting of the signing of the Declaration of Independence?
(a) Andrew Wyeth
(b) John Singer Sargent
(c) John Trumbull
12. What did Abigail say she felt like when setting out to join John in Philadelphia?
(a) A dutiful wife
(b) Noah's dove returning to the ark
(c) The prodigal son
(d) The good samaritan
13. Who did Washington choose to help organize the new army?
(a) William Smith
(b) George Logan
(c) John Quincy Adams
(d) Alexander Hamilton
14. What was Adams' legacy to his grandchildren?
(a) The early bird gets the worm.
(b) Walk softly but carry a big stick.
(c) What goes around comes around.
(d) Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough.
15. Who visits with the Adamses for a short while in England?
(a) Benjamin Franklin
(b) George and Martha Washington
(c) The Marquis de Lafayette and his wife
(d) Polly Jefferson and Sally Hemings
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Adams lived overseas at the time he returns home in 1788?
2. How did Adams perceive the Vice Presidency?
3. Why does Adams say that Vice President is the only position he will accept?
4. What topic did Jefferson refuse to debate with Adams?
5. Which of the following topics did Jefferson and Adams discuss?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)