|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is William Steuben Smith?
(a) The Adamses first grandchild
(b) The new Secretary of State
(c) The Secretary of the Interior
(d) Adams' secretary
2. What prevented Adams from attending his mother's funeral?
(a) A long-standing feud
(b) Religious differences
(c) Threatening weather
(d) The prospect of war
3. What controversial nomination did Adams make as minister plenipotentiary to the French Republic in the matter of negotiating a new treaty?
(a) John Quincy Adams
(b) John Jay
(c) Charles Adams
(d) William Vans Murray
4. Of what disease does Charles Adams die?
5. Where does John take Abigail for a five-week tour?
6. What does Adams abandon after trying for a year?
(a) Cross pollinating different varieties of vegetables
(b) Learning to paint with oils
(c) Learning to speak Italian
(d) Writing his autobiography
7. What is Adams' conclusion about keeping Washington's cabinet?
(a) He had not considered it yet
(b) It was a mistake
(c) It was a good decision
(d) He was still undecided
8. Who did Adams fear would lead a military coup and return the country to British rule?
9. What does Dr. Rush call Adams and Jefferson?
(a) The salt of the earth
(b) America's finest
(c) The North and South Poles of the American Revolution
(d) Two old fools
10. Which city has hopes of becoming the country's permanent capital?
(a) New York
11. To what government office is John Quincy elected after returning from Europe?
(a) Massachusetts Senate
(b) Governor of Massachusetts
(c) Mayor of Quincy
(d) U.S. Congress
12. By what name do some of Adams' opponents call him?
(a) The President by Three Votes
(b) Farmer Brown
(c) The Little Napoleon
(d) The Village Idiot
13. Who led the opposition effort against Adams?
(a) Alexander Hamilton
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) John Pickering
(d) Aaron Burr
14. After learning of his son, Charles', indiscriminate behavior, what does Adams do?
(a) Sends him to a sanitorium
(b) Gives him money
(c) Renounces him
(d) Gets him psychological help
15. How did Adams perceive the Vice Presidency?
(a) A monument to service
(b) A civilized way to pass time
(c) A do-nothing job
(d) A great honor
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John and Abigail's position on political office after Adams leaves the presidency?
2. What was a main topic of discussion among New Englanders during 1814?
3. Who was the artist of the famous painting of the signing of the Declaration of Independence?
4. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
5. Who led the anti-American initiatives in England?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)