|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did King George III of England have?
2. What is the name of the Adams family farm in Quincy?
(c) Belle Monde
3. What prevented Adams from attending his mother's funeral?
(a) A long-standing feud
(b) Threatening weather
(c) The prospect of war
(d) Religious differences
4. What did Abigail say she felt like when setting out to join John in Philadelphia?
(a) Noah's dove returning to the ark
(b) A dutiful wife
(c) The prodigal son
(d) The good samaritan
5. What does Dr. Rush call Adams and Jefferson?
(a) The North and South Poles of the American Revolution
(b) America's finest
(c) Two old fools
(d) The salt of the earth
6. What near-fatal illness does Abigail contract?
(a) Typhoid fever
(c) Scarlet fever
7. What addition did the Adamses make to their home?
8. Who does Nabby marry in 1786?
(a) Marquis de Lafayette
(b) James Hemings
(c) Col. William Stephens Smith
(d) Franklin Bache
9. What illness strikes many, including Washington, in May of 1790?
(a) Scarlet fever
10. What is John and Abigail's position on political office after Adams leaves the presidency?
(a) There are a few positions they would consider
(b) They have no interest in any more public office
(c) They will entertain all offers
(d) They have not thought about it yet
11. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
(a) Barbary pirates
(b) French navy
(c) British port authority
(d) Somali pirates
12. Who was the artist of the famous painting of the signing of the Declaration of Independence?
(a) John Trumbull
(b) John Singer Sargent
(d) Andrew Wyeth
13. Who surprisingly has much in common with John Adams?
(a) The Pope
(b) The Marquis de Lafayette
(c) King George III
(d) King Louis XVI
14. Of what disease does Abigail die?
(d) Typhoid fever
15. What prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
(a) Her terminal illness diagnosis
(b) John's terminal illness diagnosis
(c) The death of their daughter, Nabby
(d) The death of his daughter, Polly
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a main topic of discussion among New Englanders during 1814?
2. Who wrote A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America?
3. Why does Adams say that Vice President is the only position he will accept?
4. To where is the nation's capital moved in 1800?
5. Who is appointed commander in chief of the new provisional army?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)