|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Nabby marry in 1786?
(a) Col. William Stephens Smith
(b) Marquis de Lafayette
(c) Franklin Bache
(d) James Hemings
2. Who surprisingly has much in common with John Adams?
(a) The Pope
(b) King Louis XVI
(c) King George III
(d) The Marquis de Lafayette
3. With what disease is Nabby diagnosed?
(b) Breast cancer
4. How many months did Adams govern from his Quincy home instead of Philadelphia in 1799?
5. By what name do some of Adams' opponents call him?
(a) Farmer Brown
(b) The Little Napoleon
(c) The President by Three Votes
(d) The Village Idiot
6. In what state does Adams find Washington when he arrives?
(a) Barren and dry
(b) Glittering in the sun
(c) A mosquito-infested swamp
(d) Bleak and abandoned
7. Who wrote A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America?
(a) John Adams
(b) William Pierce
(c) George Washington
(d) Thomas Jefferson
8. After learning of his son, Charles', indiscriminate behavior, what does Adams do?
(a) Gives him money
(b) Sends him to a sanitorium
(c) Renounces him
(d) Gets him psychological help
9. Who did Washington choose to help organize the new army?
(a) George Logan
(b) Alexander Hamilton
(c) John Quincy Adams
(d) William Smith
10. Who is Sally Hemings?
(a) Abigail's new dressmaker
(b) Nabby's best friend
(c) Jefferson's slave with whom he reportedly had an intimate relationship for many years
(d) The housekeeper at Stoneyfield
11. What did many people do at Washington's departure?
12. What is King George III's demeanor toward Adams in their first formal meeting?
13. Who is William Steuben Smith?
(a) The Adamses first grandchild
(b) Adams' secretary
(c) The Secretary of the Interior
(d) The new Secretary of State
14. What do Adams and Jefferson do to take a break from diplomatic matters?
(a) Go to bookstores
(b) Tour English gardens
(c) Go fishing
(d) Tour British historical sites
15. What illness strikes many, including Washington, in May of 1790?
(d) Scarlet fever
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Abigail say she felt like when setting out to join John in Philadelphia?
2. How does Adams now occupy his time?
3. What near-fatal illness does Abigail contract?
4. What statement did Washington add to his presidential oath of office?
5. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)