|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which city has hopes of becoming the country's permanent capital?
(c) New York
2. Who was the artist of the famous painting of the signing of the Declaration of Independence?
(b) Andrew Wyeth
(c) John Trumbull
(d) John Singer Sargent
3. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
4. To what does Abigail compare John when he is deluged with opposition in Philadelphia?
(a) A rock
(b) Salt of the earth
(c) An anchor
(d) An old oak
5. Where does John take Abigail for a five-week tour?
6. What prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
(a) The death of his daughter, Polly
(b) The death of their daughter, Nabby
(c) John's terminal illness diagnosis
(d) Her terminal illness diagnosis
7. How many months did Adams govern from his Quincy home instead of Philadelphia in 1799?
8. What is the name of the Adams family farm in Quincy?
(c) Belle Monde
9. To what did John Quincy attribute the fact that Jefferson and his father died on the same day?
(a) Divine favor toward the U.S.
(b) A tremendous bond between friends
(c) The power of the human spirit
(d) A tribute to freedom
10. Who visits with the Adamses for a short while in England?
(a) The Marquis de Lafayette and his wife
(b) Polly Jefferson and Sally Hemings
(c) George and Martha Washington
(d) Benjamin Franklin
11. What controversial nomination did Adams make as minister plenipotentiary to the French Republic in the matter of negotiating a new treaty?
(a) John Jay
(b) John Quincy Adams
(c) William Vans Murray
(d) Charles Adams
12. Who does Washington name as Secretary of State?
(a) Alexander Hamilton
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) Henry Knox
(d) John Jay
13. What U.S. institution is established in 1800?
(a) The Liberty Bell
(b) The Smithsonian Institution
(c) The Library of Congress
(d) The Capitol building
14. With whom does Adams begin a pleasant correspondence through letters?
(a) John Jay
(b) Dr. Benjamin Rush
(c) Nabby Adams Smith
(d) Martha Washington
15. Who was Adams especially glad to see?
(a) His grown sons
(b) His best friend
(c) His parents
(d) His neighbors
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Abigail say she felt like when setting out to join John in Philadelphia?
2. Who wrote A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America?
3. By what name do some of Adams' opponents call him?
4. Who led the opposition effort against Adams?
5. How does Thomas Jefferson now view Adams?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)