|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Adams' conclusion about keeping Washington's cabinet?
(a) He was still undecided
(b) It was a mistake
(c) He had not considered it yet
(d) It was a good decision
2. On what day did both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die?
(a) December 25, 1826
(b) June 30, 1825
(c) July 4, 1826
(d) July 1, 1826
3. What event takes American by surprise in 1789?
(a) The death of King George III
(b) The French Revolution
(c) The French and Indian War
(d) The resignation of Thomas Jefferson
4. What was Adams' legacy to his grandchildren?
(a) What goes around comes around.
(b) Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough.
(c) The early bird gets the worm.
(d) Walk softly but carry a big stick.
5. What addition did the Adamses make to their home?
6. What is King George III's demeanor toward Adams in their first formal meeting?
7. Who was Adams especially glad to see?
(a) His grown sons
(b) His neighbors
(c) His best friend
(d) His parents
8. What controversial nomination did Adams make as minister plenipotentiary to the French Republic in the matter of negotiating a new treaty?
(a) John Quincy Adams
(b) William Vans Murray
(c) John Jay
(d) Charles Adams
9. Who visits with the Adamses for a short while in England?
(a) George and Martha Washington
(b) Polly Jefferson and Sally Hemings
(c) The Marquis de Lafayette and his wife
(d) Benjamin Franklin
10. How does Adams now occupy his time?
(a) As a farmer
(b) Studying medicine
(c) Campaigning for president
(d) Studying law
11. What does Dr. Rush call Adams and Jefferson?
(a) The salt of the earth
(b) Two old fools
(c) The North and South Poles of the American Revolution
(d) America's finest
12. How did Adams perceive the Vice Presidency?
(a) A civilized way to pass time
(b) A do-nothing job
(c) A monument to service
(d) A great honor
13. What near-fatal illness does Abigail contract?
(c) Typhoid fever
(d) Scarlet fever
14. What does Adams call Washington in a letter that surfaces and is printed in a newspaper?
15. Who led the anti-American initiatives in England?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Adams' main objective during this period of his presidency?
2. Who is killed in a duel with Aaron burr in 1804?
3. To where is the nation's capital moved in 1800?
4. What is John and Abigail's position on holding political office after Adams leaves the presidency?
5. What topic did Jefferson refuse to debate with Adams?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)