|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what did John Quincy attribute the fact that Jefferson and his father died on the same day?
(a) A tribute to freedom
(b) The power of the human spirit
(c) A tremendous bond between friends
(d) Divine favor toward the U.S.
2. Who was Adams especially glad to see?
(a) His best friend
(b) His neighbors
(c) His grown sons
(d) His parents
3. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
(a) French navy
(b) Barbary pirates
(c) Somali pirates
(d) British port authority
4. What prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
(a) The death of his daughter, Polly
(b) The death of their daughter, Nabby
(c) John's terminal illness diagnosis
(d) Her terminal illness diagnosis
5. What did the Adamses find when they returned to Boston?
(a) A huge homecoming celebration
(b) Hostility toward the family
(c) A town they did not recognize
(d) Mayhem and confusion
6. What does Dr. Rush call Adams and Jefferson?
(a) The North and South Poles of the American Revolution
(b) America's finest
(c) Two old fools
(d) The salt of the earth
7. Who does Nabby marry in 1786?
(a) Marquis de Lafayette
(b) James Hemings
(c) Franklin Bache
(d) Col. William Stephens Smith
8. How many children did King George III of England have?
9. In what state does Adams find Washington when he arrives?
(a) Barren and dry
(b) Bleak and abandoned
(c) A mosquito-infested swamp
(d) Glittering in the sun
10. What did many people do at Washington's departure?
11. How long had Adams lived overseas at the time he returns home in 1788?
(a) 10 years
(b) 5 years
(c) 3 years
(d) 7 years
12. By what name do some of Adams' opponents call him?
(a) The Little Napoleon
(b) The Village Idiot
(c) Farmer Brown
(d) The President by Three Votes
13. What U.S. institution is established in 1800?
(a) The Liberty Bell
(b) The Library of Congress
(c) The Capitol building
(d) The Smithsonian Institution
14. After learning of his son, Charles', indiscriminate behavior, what does Adams do?
(a) Gets him psychological help
(b) Gives him money
(c) Sends him to a sanitorium
(d) Renounces him
15. What did Abigail say she felt like when setting out to join John in Philadelphia?
(a) Noah's dove returning to the ark
(b) A dutiful wife
(c) The good samaritan
(d) The prodigal son
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Adamses new grandchild born to John Quincy and Louisa Catherine Adams?
2. What happens when John and Abigail lose their life savings in imprudent investments?
3. What is King George III's demeanor toward Adams in their first formal meeting?
4. Who does Washington name as Secretary of State?
5. Why does Adams say that Vice President is the only position he will accept?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)