|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did many people do at Washington's departure?
2. What illness strikes many, including Washington, in May of 1790?
(d) Scarlet fever
3. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
4. By what name do some of Adams' opponents call him?
(a) The Village Idiot
(b) The President by Three Votes
(c) Farmer Brown
(d) The Little Napoleon
5. Who wrote A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America?
(a) John Adams
(b) William Pierce
(c) George Washington
(d) Thomas Jefferson
6. Who led the anti-American initiatives in England?
7. How does Adams now occupy his time?
(a) As a farmer
(b) Campaigning for president
(c) Studying law
(d) Studying medicine
8. Who does Nabby marry in 1786?
(a) Franklin Bache
(b) Marquis de Lafayette
(c) Col. William Stephens Smith
(d) James Hemings
9. What controversial nomination did Adams make as minister plenipotentiary to the French Republic in the matter of negotiating a new treaty?
(a) John Quincy Adams
(b) John Jay
(c) William Vans Murray
(d) Charles Adams
10. What happens when John and Abigail lose their life savings in imprudent investments?
(a) They buy a smaller farm
(b) John Quincy buys Stoneyfield for them
(c) They move in with John Quincy
(d) They move to town
11. Who was the artist of the famous painting of the signing of the Declaration of Independence?
(b) Andrew Wyeth
(c) John Trumbull
(d) John Singer Sargent
12. What was a main topic of discussion among New Englanders during 1814?
(a) Maritime pirates
(b) Shipping prices
(c) Crop prices
(d) Secession from the union
13. Who does Washington name as Secretary of State?
(a) Alexander Hamilton
(b) Henry Knox
(c) John Jay
(d) Thomas Jefferson
14. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
(a) French navy
(b) British port authority
(c) Somali pirates
(d) Barbary pirates
15. Why was Adams so pleased with John Quincy's appointment as Secretary of State?
(a) The last three presidents had held that office
(b) He would be making more money
(c) He would be closer to home
(d) He could ask Adams for advice
Short Answer Questions
1. With what disease is Nabby diagnosed?
2. Who is Sally Hemings?
3. ____________________ is eulogized as "first in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen."
4. Who surprisingly has much in common with John Adams?
5. What topic did Jefferson refuse to debate with Adams?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)