|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Abigail compare John when he is deluged with opposition in Philadelphia?
(a) A rock
(b) An old oak
(c) Salt of the earth
(d) An anchor
2. What did Abigail say she felt like when setting out to join John in Philadelphia?
(a) A dutiful wife
(b) The prodigal son
(c) Noah's dove returning to the ark
(d) The good samaritan
3. What is John and Abigail's position on political office after Adams leaves the presidency?
(a) They have not thought about it yet
(b) There are a few positions they would consider
(c) They have no interest in any more public office
(d) They will entertain all offers
4. What does Adams call Washington in a letter written a year earlier that surfaces and is printed in a newspaper?
5. Who surprisingly has much in common with John Adams?
(a) The Pope
(b) King George III
(c) King Louis XVI
(d) The Marquis de Lafayette
6. What was Adams' legacy to his grandchildren?
(a) The early bird gets the worm.
(b) Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough.
(c) What goes around comes around.
(d) Walk softly but carry a big stick.
7. To where is the nation's capital moved in 1800?
(b) New York
(d) Washington, D.C.
8. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
9. How does Adams now occupy his time?
(a) Studying medicine
(b) Studying law
(c) Campaigning for president
(d) As a farmer
10. On what day did both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die?
(a) December 25, 1826
(b) June 30, 1825
(c) July 4, 1826
(d) July 1, 1826
11. Who does Washington name as Secretary of State?
(a) Henry Knox
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) Alexander Hamilton
(d) John Jay
12. How many months did Adams govern from his Quincy home instead of Philadelphia in 1799?
13. Who does Nabby marry in 1786?
(a) Marquis de Lafayette
(b) Franklin Bache
(c) James Hemings
(d) Col. William Stephens Smith
14. Why was Adams so pleased with John Quincy's appointment as Secretary of State?
(a) He would be closer to home
(b) He could ask Adams for advice
(c) He would be making more money
(d) The last three presidents had held that office
15. What U.S. institution is established in 1800?
(a) The Liberty Bell
(b) The Capitol building
(c) The Library of Congress
(d) The Smithsonian Institution
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Adams' main objective during this period of his presidency?
2. Which of the following topics did Jefferson and Adams discuss?
3. What is the name of the Adams family farm in Quincy?
4. Of what disease does Abigail die?
5. What prompts Abigail to write to Jefferson after 17 years of silence?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)