|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Adams' conclusion about keeping Washington's cabinet?
(a) It was a mistake
(b) He had not considered it yet
(c) He was still undecided
(d) It was a good decision
2. How did Adams perceive the Vice Presidency?
(a) A civilized way to pass time
(b) A great honor
(c) A do-nothing job
(d) A monument to service
3. ____________________ is eulogized as "first in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen."
4. Why was Adams so pleased with John Quincy's appointment as Secretary of State?
(a) He would be closer to home
(b) The last three presidents had held that office
(c) He would be making more money
(d) He could ask Adams for advice
5. What interest did both Adams and Jefferson share?
6. What did many people do at Washington's departure?
7. Who surprisingly has much in common with John Adams?
(a) The Pope
(b) The Marquis de Lafayette
(c) King George III
(d) King Louis XVI
8. For what reason did Adams will himself to stay alive?
(a) He promised Abigail
(b) To observe the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence
(c) To see his great grandchildren
(d) To see John Quincy elected president
9. What does Adams abandon after trying for a year?
(a) Writing his autobiography
(b) Learning to speak Italian
(c) Learning to paint with oils
(d) Cross pollinating different varieties of vegetables
10. What prevented Adams from attending his mother's funeral?
(a) Threatening weather
(b) Religious differences
(c) A long-standing feud
(d) The prospect of war
11. How many months did Adams govern from his Quincy home instead of Philadelphia in 1799?
12. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
(a) Barbary pirates
(b) Somali pirates
(c) British port authority
(d) French navy
13. What is King George III's demeanor toward Adams in their first formal meeting?
14. With whom does Adams begin a pleasant correspondence through letters?
(a) Martha Washington
(b) Dr. Benjamin Rush
(c) Nabby Adams Smith
(d) John Jay
15. Who did Washington choose to help organize the new army?
(a) George Logan
(b) William Smith
(c) Alexander Hamilton
(d) John Quincy Adams
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is elected Vice President when Adams is elected President?
2. Who is killed in a duel with Aaron burr in 1804?
3. Who led the anti-American initiatives in England?
4. What is Abigail's perception of New York?
5. What is Adams' main objective during this period of his presidency?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)