|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason did Adams will himself to stay alive?
(a) He promised Abigail
(b) To observe the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence
(c) To see John Quincy elected president
(d) To see his great grandchildren
2. What is Adams' main objective during this period of his presidency?
(a) Establish a voting system
(b) Settle the western territory
(c) Avoid war with France
(d) Abolish slavery
3. What do Adams and Jefferson do to take a break from diplomatic matters?
(a) Tour British historical sites
(b) Go fishing
(c) Tour English gardens
(d) Go to bookstores
4. Of what disease does Charles Adams die?
5. What illness strikes many, including Washington, in May of 1790?
(b) Scarlet fever
6. Who led the anti-American initiatives in England?
7. Who is elected Vice President when Adams is elected President?
(a) Alexander Hamilton
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) John Jay
(d) Aaron Burr
8. To what does Abigail compare John when he is deluged with opposition in Philadelphia?
(a) A rock
(b) An old oak
(c) Salt of the earth
(d) An anchor
9. Who led the opposition effort against Adams?
(a) Aaron Burr
(b) John Pickering
(c) Thomas Jefferson
(d) Alexander Hamilton
10. What U.S. institution is established in 1800?
(a) The Capitol building
(b) The Smithsonian Institution
(c) The Liberty Bell
(d) The Library of Congress
11. By what name do some of Adams' opponents call him?
(a) The President by Three Votes
(b) The Little Napoleon
(c) Farmer Brown
(d) The Village Idiot
12. After learning of his son, Charles', indiscriminate behavior, what does Adams do?
(a) Gets him psychological help
(b) Sends him to a sanitorium
(c) Gives him money
(d) Renounces him
13. Who is killed in a duel with Aaron burr in 1804?
(a) John Jay
(b) Alexander Hamilton
(c) William Pickering
(d) Benjamin Arnold
14. How does Thomas Jefferson now view Adams?
(a) As the smartest man in the government
(b) As his best friend
(c) As presidential material
(d) As an embarrassment
15. Who becomes a threat to U.S. shipping and trade?
(a) Barbary pirates
(b) Somali pirates
(c) British port authority
(d) French navy
Short Answer Questions
1. What did many people do at Washington's departure?
2. What is John and Abigail's position on political office after Adams leaves the presidency?
3. What is King George III's demeanor toward Adams in their first formal meeting?
4. On what day did both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die?
5. Where does John take Abigail for a five-week tour?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)