|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what position is Adams appointed?
(a) Commander in Chief of the Army
(b) Attorney General
(c) Commissioner to France
(d) Secretary of the Navy
2. What did the members of Congress feel about Adams?
(a) He was a major irritant
(b) He was not intellectual
(c) He was the first among them
(d) He was too provincial
3. What did Adams say happened to some of his letters sent to Abigail during this time?
(a) They were inspected before being mailed
(b) The were intercepted by the ministry
(c) They were intercepted by spies
(d) They were "lost to Neptune"
4. Who accompanies Adams to England?
(d) Johnny and Charles
5. Who is succeeding Benjamin Franklin as minister to France?
(a) Samuel Adams
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) George Washington
(d) John Hancock
6. In what year is the Second Continental Congress held?
7. In what city was the Declaration of Independence approved?
(a) New York
8. To what city does Adams go to attend another session of Congress?
9. What major disease was running rampant in 1776?
(b) Bubonic plague
10. ___________________ wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls."
(a) Thomas Paine
(b) Benjamin Franklin
(c) Samuel Adams
(d) George Washington
11. What was one of the objectives of the Second Continental Congress?
(a) Declare a king for the United States
(b) Declare war on France
(c) Compose a "Declaration of Independency"
(d) Vote for a new President of the United States
12. Why is Abigail especially melancholy by another one of John's absences?
(a) She must educate the children on her own
(b) They are short on provisions
(c) She is pregnant
(d) The kids are all sick
13. "Glorious news" of what event arrives while Adams is in Holland?
(a) The French Revolution is over
(b) The British surrender at Yorktown
(c) Congress has released funds for the army
(d) Abigail has given birth to another son
14. How long did it take for letters to cross the Atlantic?
(a) 2 months
(b) 4 months
(c) 3 months
(d) 6 months
15. Where was the boarding school in which Adams enrolled his sons located?
Short Answer Questions
1. The congress voted that there should be how many legislative bodies in the new government?
2. What is the one thing that Adams does not like about Paris?
3. What morbid premonition of Abigail's comes true in July of 1777?
4. Which American envoy disliked both Adams and Franklin?
5. What did the people of Boston call an event where five citizens were killed by British soldiers?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)