|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take for letters to cross the Atlantic?
(a) 2 months
(b) 6 months
(c) 4 months
(d) 3 months
2. What did Adams believe of the men gathered with him in Philadelphia?
(a) They were interested primarily in entertainment events
(b) They were mental midgets
(c) Their minds were unsurpassed by an in history
(d) They wanted to declare war on France
3. What did Abigail call John when his letters lost their romantic ardor?
(a) An ice chunk
(b) A frozen Laplander
(c) An igloo
(d) A north wind
4. How many votes were necessary to declare independence?
5. Why did Abigail think the Southern delegates were hypocritical?
(a) They wanted freedom from England but still kept women dependent
(b) They were working for freedom of the United States but still owned slaves
(c) They wanted a voting system but would not let women vote
(d) They talked about freedom of religion but restricted their parishes
6. At what location are Washington's troops fighting the invading British troops in August 1776?
(c) New York
7. How old was Benjamin Franklin at the time of the Second Continental Congress?
8. What precipitates Abigail's sailing to London?
(a) John is ill and needs her
(b) She wants Nabby to have an English education
(c) She and John are going on a second honeymoon
(d) John is appointed Ambassador to the British Court
9. From which country did the United States hope to receive military aid?
10. What event causes Congress to flee from Philadelphia?
(a) The Battle of Brandywine Creek
(b) The Battle of Saratoga
(c) A smallpox epidemic
(d) The Battle of Bunker Hill
11. Who accompanies Adams to England?
(c) Johnny and Charles
12. What morbid premonition of Abigail's comes true in July of 1777?
(a) John is taken prisoner
(b) She delivers a stillborn daughter
(c) Her sister dies
(d) Their home is torched
13. When was the last signature affixed to the Declaration of Independence?
(a) August 1776
(b) November 1776
(c) January 1777
(d) July 1776
14. What is the name of Abigail's sister with whom she shares her innermost feelings?
(a) Marie Cranston
(b) Mary Cranston
(c) Mary Cranch
(d) Emma Cranch
15. At what age did John Adams enter Harvard University?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship taking the Adamses to France in 1779?
2. References to what subject were removed from the declaration?
3. What was the assumed British knowledge about Adams?
4. Why did John Adams go to Philadelphia in 1774?
5. What does John find it difficult to do when writing to Abigail?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)