|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what Paris suburb did the Adamses find a house for their stay in France?
2. What serious illness strikes Adams during his time in Holland?
(a) Nervous fever
(b) Swine flu
(c) Chicken Pox
3. In what year is the Second Continental Congress held?
4. What did Abigail call John when his letters lost their romantic ardor?
(a) A frozen Laplander
(b) An igloo
(c) An ice chunk
(d) A north wind
5. Where was the boarding school in which Adams enrolled his sons located?
6. Who defended the British soldiers accused of killing the British citizens?
(a) John Adams
(b) Thomas Paine
(c) Samuel Adams
(d) Thomas Jefferson
7. What was the main method of communication between John and Abigail?
(a) Military messages
(b) Short notes
(c) Long letters
8. How long did Adams remain in Philadelphia?
(a) 2 weeks
(b) 2 days
(c) 2 years
(d) 2 months
9. Who accompanies Adams to England?
(b) Johnny and Charles
10. Who crafted the words of the Declaration of Independence?
(a) Thomas Jefferson
(b) John Adams
(c) John Hancock
(d) Benjamin Franklin
11. "Glorious news" of what event arrives while Adams is in Holland?
(a) Abigail has given birth to another son
(b) The British surrender at Yorktown
(c) Congress has released funds for the army
(d) The French Revolution is over
12. What did Adams call Abigail in addition to being a choice wife?
(a) A physician
(b) A linguist
(c) A stateswoman
(d) An herbalist
13. What did Adams believe of the men gathered with him in Philadelphia?
(a) They wanted to declare war on France
(b) Their minds were unsurpassed by an in history
(c) They were interested primarily in entertainment events
(d) They were mental midgets
14. When was the last signature affixed to the Declaration of Independence?
(a) August 1776
(b) July 1776
(c) January 1777
(d) November 1776
15. On what day was the Declaration of Independence approved?
(a) July 1, 1776
(b) July 4, 1776
(c) July 5, 1776
(d) July 4, 1775
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the people of Boston call an event where five citizens were killed by British soldiers?
2. At what location are Washington's troops fighting the invading British troops in August 1776?
3. What is the name of the ship taking the Adamses to France in 1779?
4. Why did Benjamin Franklin go to Canada during this time?
5. What is ultimately signed on September 3, 1783?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)