|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the Americans was the first to sign the Treaty of Paris?
(a) Henry Laurens
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) Benjamin Franklin
(d) John Adams
2. To what country does Adams move to seek financial aid?
3. In what location does the book begin?
(b) New England
4. What was the main method of communication between John and Abigail?
(b) Short notes
(c) Long letters
(d) Military messages
5. What was a critical step for the new country?
(a) Come up with a name
(b) Build a regular army
(c) Decide the country's capital
(d) Decide on a king
6. What was the assumed British knowledge about Adams?
(a) He would be president
(b) He would be hanged
(c) He was powerless
(d) He would be District Attorney
7. To what city does Adams move his family in 1768?
(c) New York
8. What British officer did Adams and Franklin travel to meet?
(a) Major John Andre
(b) Major-General William Phillips
(c) Admiral Lord Howe
(d) Admiral Brattleboro
9. When did Abigail and Nabby arrive in London?
(a) July 20, 1785
(b) July 20, 1784
(c) August 20, 1784
(d) June 20, 1784
10. What was the name of the ship that took Abigail and Nabby to England?
11. Who accompanied Adams to France?
(a) Abigail Adams
(b) Charles Adams
(c) John Quincy Adams
(d) Nabby Adams
12. What was the pamphlet written by Thomas Paine?
(a) The Common Man
(b) A Common Cause
(c) Common Sense
(d) It Just Makes Sense
13. To what position is Adams appointed?
(a) Commander in Chief of the Army
(b) Secretary of the Navy
(c) Attorney General
(d) Commissioner to France
14. Whose friendship is especially valued by both John and Abigail?
(a) Marquis de Lafayette
(b) Marie Antoinette
(c) Thomas Jefferson
(d) Benjamin Franklin
15. Who did Adams say depended on Congress' decision to split from England?
(a) New England
(b) His family
(c) Unborn generations
(d) His church
Short Answer Questions
1. In what Paris suburb did the Adamses find a house for their stay in France?
2. Which was the only element of the Adamses house not in need of desperate tending?
3. Which of the delegates led a movement to reconcile with England?
4. Which American envoy was sending secret messages to London?
5. What was the core message of Adam's "Braintree Instructions"?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)