|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the ship on which Adams sailed to Europe?
2. How long did it take for letters to cross the Atlantic?
(a) 3 months
(b) 6 months
(c) 2 months
(d) 4 months
3. What morbid premonition of Abigail's comes true in July of 1777?
(a) She delivers a stillborn daughter
(b) John is taken prisoner
(c) Her sister dies
(d) Their home is torched
4. What does John find it difficult to do when writing to Abigail?
(a) Tell her he is staying longer
(b) Betraying his melancholy
(c) Professing his love
(d) Ending each letter
5. What British officer did Adams and Franklin travel to meet?
(a) Major-General William Phillips
(b) Admiral Lord Howe
(c) Major John Andre
(d) Admiral Brattleboro
6. What was the core message of Adam's "Braintree Instructions"?
(a) No taxation without representation
(b) How to publish a book
(c) How to plant a field
(d) How to become a lawyer
7. Which of the delegates led a movement to reconcile with England?
(a) John Dickinson
(b) John Penn
(c) Thomas Jefferson
(d) John Hancock
8. Who was reputed to be the wisest and most influential member of the Continental Congress?
(a) John Adams
(b) Benjamin Franklin
(c) Samuel Adams
(d) Thomas Jefferson
9. To what country does Adams move to seek financial aid?
10. What event causes Congress to flee from Philadelphia?
(a) The Battle of Brandywine Creek
(b) A smallpox epidemic
(c) The Battle of Saratoga
(d) The Battle of Bunker Hill
11. Why did Benjamin Franklin go to Canada during this time?
(a) To intervene in the French and Indian War
(b) To determine if Canda would become the 14th colony
(c) To go hunting
(d) To see family members
12. Who is put in charge of the Adamses financial affairs?
(a) Dr. Henry Rush
(b) Benjamin Blackstone, Esq.
(c) Dr. Cotton Tufts
(d) Rev. John Higham
13. Which American envoy was sending secret messages to London?
(a) Arthur Lee
(b) David Heartley
(c) Edward Bancroft
(d) William Pierce
14. What appears to be Adams' only joy during this difficult period?
(b) Traveling around Holland
(c) John Quincy
(d) Learning Dutch
15. When was the Boston Tea Party?
(a) January 1774
(b) December 1774
(c) October 1774
(d) December 1773
Short Answer Questions
1. How many votes were necessary to declare independence?
2. What did Adams believe of the men gathered with him in Philadelphia?
3. Why did Abigail think the Southern delegates were hypocritical?
4. The congress voted that there should be how many legislative bodies in the new government?
5. What was the assumed British knowledge about Adams?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)