|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Abigail especially melancholy by another one of John's absences?
(a) She must educate the children on her own
(b) They are short on provisions
(c) She is pregnant
(d) The kids are all sick
2. Which of the Americans was the first to sign the Treaty of Paris?
(a) Thomas Jefferson
(b) Henry Laurens
(c) Benjamin Franklin
(d) John Adams
3. Who summons Adams to Paris to sign a peace treaty?
(a) Arthur Eames
(b) John Jay
(c) Benjamin Franklin
(d) Thomas Jefferson
4. What does John find difficult to do when writing to Abigail?
(a) Betraying his melancholy
(b) Professing his love
(c) Tell her he is staying longer
(d) Ending each letter
5. How many votes were necessary to declare independence?
6. To whom is the Adams family farm rented?
(a) Phoebe Abdee
(b) Samuel Adams
(c) Dr. Rush
(d) Benjamin Blackstone
7. What did Adams do in May of 1782?
(a) Resigned his post in Holland
(b) Returned home to Abigail
(c) Raised the American flag at the first U.S. embassy in the world
(d) Traveled to Russia
8. What appears to be Adams' only joy during this difficult period?
(a) Learning Dutch
(b) John Quincy
(d) Traveling around Holland
9. How long did it take for the Declaration of Independence document to be printed for signatures?
(a) 1 day
(b) 1 hour
(c) 1 month
(d) 1 week
10. Which French Minister favored Franklin to Adams?
(a) The Comte de Vergennes
(b) Count Rochambeau
(c) The Marquis de Lafayette
(d) The Comte de Passy
11. What precipitates Abigail's sailing to London?
(a) John is ill and needs her
(b) John is appointed Ambassador to the British Court
(c) She and John are going on a second honeymoon
(d) She wants Nabby to have an English education
12. What is the name of Abigail's sister with whom she shares her innermost feelings?
(a) Emma Cranch
(b) Mary Cranston
(c) Mary Cranch
(d) Marie Cranston
13. How old was Benjamin Franklin at the time of the Second Continental Congress?
14. Why did John Adams go to Philadelphia in 1774?
(a) To attend the First Continental Congress
(b) To sign the Declaration of Independence
(c) To enroll his son in law school
(d) To visit his cousin
15. In what city was the Declaration of Independence approved?
(c) New York
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adams call Benjamin Franklin after Franklin attempts to muddy Adams' reputation?
2. To what country does Adams move to seek financial aid?
3. What was an important topic of debate related to the Articles of Confederation?
4. How long did it take for letters to cross the Atlantic?
5. What was the main method of communication between John and Abigail?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)