|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take for the Declaration of Independence document to be printed for signatures?
(a) 1 hour
(b) 1 week
(c) 1 month
(d) 1 day
2. What does John find it difficult to do when writing to Abigail?
(a) Betraying his melancholy
(b) Ending each letter
(c) Professing his love
(d) Tell her he is staying longer
3. What is ultimately signed on September 3, 1783?
(a) The Treaty of Paris
(b) The Declaration of Independence
(c) Olive Branch Resolution
(d) Dutch Amnesty Resolution
4. According to congress, how long should judges serve?
(a) For life
(b) 10 years
(c) 15 years
(d) 4 years
5. What was the Olive Branch Petition?
(a) A document petitioning the delegates to behave civilly
(b) A new ruling by the Supreme Court
(c) A document aimed at reconciliation with Britain
(d) A document sent to France to avoid war
6. What did Adams believe of the men gathered with him in Philadelphia?
(a) They were interested primarily in entertainment events
(b) They were mental midgets
(c) They wanted to declare war on France
(d) Their minds were unsurpassed by an in history
7. Who was the captain of the ship taking Adams to Europe?
(a) Marvin Peavey
(b) Samuel Tucker
(c) Dennis Mullis
(d) Christopher Hall
8. Whose friendship is especially valued by both John and Abigail?
(a) Thomas Jefferson
(b) Marie Antoinette
(c) Benjamin Franklin
(d) Marquis de Lafayette
9. In what year does this chapter begin?
10. Which of the delegates led a movement to reconcile with England?
(a) John Dickinson
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) John Hancock
(d) John Penn
11. Who is succeeding Benjamin Franklin as minister to France?
(a) John Hancock
(b) Samuel Adams
(c) Thomas Jefferson
(d) George Washington
12. What was the assumed British knowledge about Adams?
(a) He would be president
(b) He would be hanged
(c) He would be District Attorney
(d) He was powerless
13. What made Jefferson decide to accept a position in Paris?
(a) Passion for learning new things
(b) The death of his wife
(c) A drive to serve his country
(d) Boredom at home
14. Who did Adams say depended on Congress' decision to split from England?
(a) New England
(b) Unborn generations
(c) His church
(d) His family
15. How long did Adams remain in Philadelphia?
(a) 2 weeks
(b) 2 years
(c) 2 months
(d) 2 days
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Abigail and Nabby encounter in Boston?
2. Which French Minister favored Franklin to Adams?
3. What event causes Congress to flee from Philadelphia?
4. Who drafted the first rules and regulations for the U.S. Navy during this time?
5. What serious illness strikes Adams during his time in Holland?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)