|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the book begin?
2. What major disease was running rampant in 1776?
(d) Bubonic plague
3. What does John find it difficult to do when writing to Abigail?
(a) Ending each letter
(b) Professing his love
(c) Tell her he is staying longer
(d) Betraying his melancholy
4. Why did Benjamin Franklin go to Canada during this time?
(a) To see family members
(b) To determine if Canda would become the 14th colony
(c) To go hunting
(d) To intervene in the French and Indian War
5. What is the name of Abigail's sister with whom she shares her innermost feelings?
(a) Emma Cranch
(b) Mary Cranch
(c) Mary Cranston
(d) Marie Cranston
6. References to what subject were removed from the declaration?
7. Which American envoy was sending secret messages to London?
(a) William Pierce
(b) Arthur Lee
(c) Edward Bancroft
(d) David Heartley
8. What made Jefferson decide to accept a position in Paris?
(a) The death of his wife
(b) A drive to serve his country
(c) Boredom at home
(d) Passion for learning new things
9. To what country does Adams move to seek financial aid?
10. What event causes Congress to flee from Philadelphia?
(a) The Battle of Saratoga
(b) A smallpox epidemic
(c) The Battle of Bunker Hill
(d) The Battle of Brandywine Creek
11. Who summons Adams to Paris to sign a peace treaty?
(a) Thomas Jefferson
(b) Benjamin Franklin
(c) John Jay
(d) Arthur Eames
12. What does Congress appoint Franklin in September of 1778?
(a) Minister Plenipotentiary to France
(b) Prime Minister
(c) Secretary of the Treasury
(d) Secretary of State
13. Who was reputed to be the wisest and most influential member of the Continental Congress?
(a) Benjamin Franklin
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) Samuel Adams
(d) John Adams
14. What was the Olive Branch Petition?
(a) A document petitioning the delegates to behave civilly
(b) A document sent to France to avoid war
(c) A document aimed at reconciliation with Britain
(d) A new ruling by the Supreme Court
15. What does Adams call Benjamin Franklin after Franklin attempts to muddy Adams' reputation?
(a) The Imposter
(b) The Old Conjurer
(c) The Village Idiot
(d) The Philanderer
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the ship that took Abigail and Nabby to England?
2. Who helps Adams become acclimated to living in Paris?
3. What did Adams say happened to some of his letters sent to Abigail during this time?
4. What did Abigail call John when his letters lost their romantic ardor?
5. To what position is Adams appointed in October of 1778?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)