|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take for letters to cross the Atlantic?
(a) 6 months
(b) 3 months
(c) 2 months
(d) 4 months
2. What is the name of the ship taking the Adamses to France in 1779?
3. Who do Abigail and Nabby encounter in Boston?
(a) George and Martha Washington
(b) Thomas Jefferson, Martha Jefferson and James Hemings
(c) Benjamin and Debbie Franklin
(d) Charles Adams
4. What was Adams' role during the debate for independence on July 1, 1776?
(b) Sergeant at arms
(c) Legal counsel
(d) Principal orator
5. What was the pamphlet written by Thomas Paine?
(a) It Just Makes Sense
(b) Common Sense
(c) The Common Man
(d) A Common Cause
6. What did Adams do in May of 1782?
(a) Raised the American flag at the first U.S. embassy in the world
(b) Traveled to Russia
(c) Resigned his post in Holland
(d) Returned home to Abigail
7. What was the core message of Adam's "Braintree Instructions"?
(a) How to become a lawyer
(b) No taxation without representation
(c) How to publish a book
(d) How to plant a field
8. What is ultimately signed on September 3, 1783?
(a) Olive Branch Resolution
(b) The Treaty of Paris
(c) The Declaration of Independence
(d) Dutch Amnesty Resolution
9. What did Adams believe of the men gathered with him in Philadelphia?
(a) They wanted to declare war on France
(b) They were mental midgets
(c) They were interested primarily in entertainment events
(d) Their minds were unsurpassed by an in history
10. What morbid premonition of Abigail's comes true in July of 1777?
(a) John is taken prisoner
(b) She delivers a stillborn daughter
(c) Her sister dies
(d) Their home is torched
11. To what city does Adams move his family in 1768?
(b) New York
12. Whose friendship is especially valued by both John and Abigail?
(a) Marie Antoinette
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) Benjamin Franklin
(d) Marquis de Lafayette
13. ___________________ wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls."
(a) Thomas Paine
(b) Benjamin Franklin
(c) Samuel Adams
(d) George Washington
14. What was a critical step for the new country?
(a) Decide on a king
(b) Decide the country's capital
(c) Come up with a name
(d) Build a regular army
15. In what year was John Adams born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the ship that took Abigail and Nabby to England?
2. Where are John Adams and John Bass going as the book begins?
3. In what year does this chapter begin?
4. What is Novangelus?
5. What was the name of the ship on which Adams sailed to Europe?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)