|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take for the Declaration of Independence document to be printed for signatures?
(a) 1 week
(b) 1 month
(c) 1 hour
(d) 1 day
2. What did Adams do in May of 1782?
(a) Returned home to Abigail
(b) Traveled to Russia
(c) Resigned his post in Holland
(d) Raised the American flag at the first U.S. embassy in the world
3. What does Adams call Benjamin Franklin after Franklin attempts to muddy Adams' reputation?
(a) The Old Conjurer
(b) The Philanderer
(c) The Village Idiot
(d) The Imposter
4. What was one of the objectives of the Second Continental Congress?
(a) Declare a king for the United States
(b) Vote for a new President of the United States
(c) Compose a "Declaration of Independency"
(d) Declare war on France
5. In what location does the book begin?
(a) New England
6. What was the assumed British knowledge about Adams?
(a) He was powerless
(b) He would be District Attorney
(c) He would be president
(d) He would be hanged
7. At what location are Washington's troops fighting the invading British troops in August 1776?
(a) New York
8. What made Jefferson decide to accept a position in Paris?
(a) Boredom at home
(b) A drive to serve his country
(c) The death of his wife
(d) Passion for learning new things
9. What event occurred in May of 1765 that enraged the colonists?
(a) The French and Indian War
(b) The Boston Tea Party
(c) The Stamp Act
(d) The Olive Branch Document
10. What was the main method of communication between John and Abigail?
(b) Long letters
(c) Short notes
(d) Military messages
11. Who is put in charge of the Adamses financial affairs?
(a) Dr. Cotton Tufts
(b) Rev. John Higham
(c) Dr. Henry Rush
(d) Benjamin Blackstone, Esq.
12. For what attribute of his does Adams thank God?
13. What is the name of Abigail's sister with whom she shares her innermost feelings?
(a) Mary Cranch
(b) Mary Cranston
(c) Emma Cranch
(d) Marie Cranston
14. Whose friendship is especially valued by both John and Abigail?
(a) Marie Antoinette
(b) Marquis de Lafayette
(c) Thomas Jefferson
(d) Benjamin Franklin
15. What precipitates Abigail's sailing to London?
(a) John is ill and needs her
(b) John is appointed Ambassador to the British Court
(c) She wants Nabby to have an English education
(d) She and John are going on a second honeymoon
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is succeeding Benjamin Franklin as minister to France?
2. Who was reputed to be the wisest and most influential member of the Continental Congress?
3. What was the pamphlet written by Thomas Paine?
4. What did the people of Boston call an event where five citizens were killed by British soldiers?
5. Who is appointed as Adams' official secretary?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)