|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what country does John Quincy go as a secretary?
2. What morbid premonition of Abigail's comes true in July of 1777?
(a) Their home is torched
(b) John is taken prisoner
(c) She delivers a stillborn daughter
(d) Her sister dies
3. What does Adams call Benjamin Franklin after Franklin attempts to muddy Adams' reputation?
(a) The Imposter
(b) The Philanderer
(c) The Old Conjurer
(d) The Village Idiot
4. What is Novangelus?
(a) The November Sun
(b) The New Geometry
(c) The New Angel
(d) The New Englander
5. What made Jefferson decide to accept a position in Paris?
(a) A drive to serve his country
(b) Boredom at home
(c) The death of his wife
(d) Passion for learning new things
6. Who summons Adams to Paris to sign a peace treaty?
(a) Thomas Jefferson
(b) Arthur Eames
(c) Benjamin Franklin
(d) John Jay
7. Who helps Adams become acclimated to living in Paris?
(a) Franklin Bache
(b) Francois Ledeaux
(c) Benjamin Franklin
(d) Silas Deane
8. What was a critical step for the new country?
(a) Come up with a name
(b) Build a regular army
(c) Decide on a king
(d) Decide the country's capital
9. What major disease was running rampant in 1776?
(b) Bubonic plague
10. In what year does the book begin?
11. What appears to be Adams' only joy during this difficult period?
(a) Traveling around Holland
(c) Learning Dutch
(d) John Quincy
12. How many votes were necessary to declare independence?
13. What serious illness strikes Adams during his time in Holland?
(a) Chicken Pox
(c) Swine flu
(d) Nervous fever
14. What was the Olive Branch Petition?
(a) A document petitioning the delegates to behave civilly
(b) A new ruling by the Supreme Court
(c) A document sent to France to avoid war
(d) A document aimed at reconciliation with Britain
15. In what year was John Adams born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Abigail call John when his letters lost their romantic ardor?
2. Who do Abigail and Nabby encounter in Boston?
3. Who did John Adams nominate to command the Continental army?
4. With whom do Adams and George Washington meet in January of 1776?
5. How long did it take for the Declaration of Independence document to be printed for signatures?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)