Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John Adams.
2. Where is Adams headed when the book opens?
3. Where was John born and who were his parents?
4. Explain Adams' education and entry into the profession of law.
5. Who did Adams marry?
6. What historic event severely wounded Adams' law practice in Boston?
7. Describe Philadelphia at the time of the First Continental Congress in 1774.
8. What was Adams' overall opinion of the First Continental Congress?
9. What was Adams' experience at the Second Continental Congress which began in February of 1776?
10. What were Adams' three main objectives for the Second Continental Congress?
11. What were the three factions vying for power at the Second Continental Congress?
12. Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" went a long way to rally New Englanders to war. Explain how John Adams found weakness in Paine and his document.
13. After all the debate, what was the final vote for independence on July 4, 1776?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)