|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Preston feel about Joey's mother not coming to the appointment?
2. What kind of school is Maria transferred to?
3. What is the name of the student Joey hurts?
4. What is Joey's first present from his mother when he goes to his new school?
5. What does Ed say it is important for Joey to learn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joey used to do after his mother left him?
2. What does Joey realize during his first break at his new school?
3. How did Joey's grandmother used to use his mother against him?
4. What three things does Ed promise Joey will get from the new school he is attending?
5. What do Joey and his mother do to entertain themselves on the trip to Pittsburgh?
6. What does Joey do when he needs a break at his new school?
7. How does Joey hurt another classmate?
8. What secret does Joey share with the school nurse?
9. Why does Joey go to Pittsburgh?
10. What does Joey do when he gets hyper on the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Maxy was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What happens in Pittsburgh, and why is this so substantial in Joey's life?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)