|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joey sneak out of class with when he has a substitute teacher?
2. What is May's sister's name?
3. How does Joey get to Pittsburgh?
4. How does Maria's father respond to Joey's attempts to make it up to Maria?
5. What does Joey ask his mother for more of after his first day at the new school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ed say when Joey redials his mother's phone number compulsively on his first day at the new school?
2. What is Joey's first request at his new school, and what is Ed's response to this?
3. Why does Joey say he wants a dog?
4. What did Joey used to do after his mother left him?
5. What was Joey doing just before he hurt one of his classmates?
6. What does Joey realize during his first break at his new school?
7. Why does Joey tell his mother about his past hurts while they are traveling to Pittsburgh?
8. Why does Joey's mother say she was unable to come back to him sooner?
9. What secret does Joey share with the school nurse?
10. What does Ed tell Joey when they first meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
What happens in Pittsburgh, and why is this so substantial in Joey's life?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)