|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joey's mother promise him if he is good at the new school?
2. What kind of book does Joey's mom buy him?
3. How many presents does Joey get from his mother when he goes to his new school?
4. What does Joey scream after hurting a class mate?
5. Who does Joey have an appointment with on his second day at the new school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maria's father say about Joey's mother?
2. What does Ed say when Joey redials his mother's phone number compulsively on his first day at the new school?
3. What does Joey's mother ask of Joey when they are sitting in the car eating their fast food?
4. What does Joey realize during his first break at his new school?
5. How does Joey hurt another classmate?
6. What was Joey doing just before he hurt one of his classmates?
7. What does Joey do when he gets hyper on the bus?
8. What is Joey's first request at his new school, and what is Ed's response to this?
9. What does Joey gain from sneaking out with the gifted students when he has a substitute?
10. What do Joey and his mother do to entertain themselves on the trip to Pittsburgh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abandonment and Neglect was a major theme in this book. What are some of the main examples of this theme, and how did it affect the course of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)