|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Charlie?
2. How is Joey punished for hurting a classmate?
3. Where does Joey go when he sneaks out of class when he has a substitute teacher?
4. Who does Joey have an appointment with on his second day at the new school?
5. Why does Ed say Joey is at his new school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joey hurt another classmate?
2. What do Joey and his mother do to entertain themselves on the trip to Pittsburgh?
3. Why does Joey say he wants a dog?
4. What does Joey do when he needs a break at his new school?
5. What is Joey's punishment for hurting one of his classmates?
6. What does Ed say when Joey redials his mother's phone number compulsively on his first day at the new school?
7. What did Ms. Maxy do after the accident with another classmate that caused Joey's feelings to be hurt?
8. Why does Joey's mother cry the entire time she is talking with the principal about Joey's accident with Maria?
9. What did Joey used to do after his mother left him?
10. What three things does Ed promise Joey will get from the new school he is attending?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joey attends two different schools in this book. Please use citations from the text to compare these two schools, their methods, and their effects on Joey.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)