|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joey's mother get defensive about when he tells her what Ed said on his first day at the new school?
2. How long does Joey's punishment remain in force after hurting a classmate?
3. How does Joey tell his mother he felt during his first day at the new school?
4. What is the name of the student Joey hurts?
5. What is May's sister's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joey's grandmother used to use his mother against him?
2. What does Joey do when he gets hyper on the bus?
3. What does Ed tell Joey when they first meet?
4. What does Ed say when Joey redials his mother's phone number compulsively on his first day at the new school?
5. What was Joey doing just before he hurt one of his classmates?
6. Why does Joey tell his mother about his past hurts while they are traveling to Pittsburgh?
7. What does Joey gain from sneaking out with the gifted students when he has a substitute?
8. Why does Joey go to Pittsburgh?
9. What does Joey realize during his first break at his new school?
10. What secret does Joey share with the school nurse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What inspired Joey to make the world a better place, and why was this such an ironic part of this plot?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)