|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joey feel when he sneaks out of class while he has a substitute teacher?
2. What kind of school is Maria transferred to?
3. What does Joey scream after hurting a class mate?
4. What does Joey's mother get defensive about when he tells her what Ed said on his first day at the new school?
5. Why does Joey's mother pinch him when they are talking to the principal after Joey hurts a class mate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does Joey share with the school nurse?
2. What is Joey's punishment for hurting one of his classmates?
3. Why does Joey tell his mother about his past hurts while they are traveling to Pittsburgh?
4. What did Joey used to do after his mother left him?
5. What does Ed say when Joey redials his mother's phone number compulsively on his first day at the new school?
6. Why does Joey's mother say she was unable to come back to him sooner?
7. What three things does Ed promise Joey will get from the new school he is attending?
8. What does Joey realize during his first break at his new school?
9. What is Joey's first request at his new school, and what is Ed's response to this?
10. What does Joey gain from sneaking out with the gifted students when he has a substitute?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Joey's dog symbolize, and why was it so important for Joey to get a dog?
Essay Topic 2
Where does Joey get his hyper nature, and how does the knowledge of this affect Joey in his efforts to overcome his condition?
Essay Topic 3
Abandonment and Neglect was a major theme in this book. What are some of the main examples of this theme, and how did it affect the course of the plot.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)