|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joey say in a restaurant that makes his mother cry?
2. What kind of school is Maria transferred to?
3. Why does Mr. Preston think Joey is being abused?
4. Why does Joey hope to find the severed nose of his classmate?
5. What is wrong with Charlie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joey's punishment for hurting one of his classmates?
2. What does Ed tell Joey when they first meet?
3. What secret does Joey share with the school nurse?
4. Why does Joey say he wants a dog?
5. What does Joey's mother ask of Joey when they are sitting in the car eating their fast food?
6. What do Joey and his mother do to entertain themselves on the trip to Pittsburgh?
7. Why does Joey's mother say she was unable to come back to him sooner?
8. What does Joey gain from sneaking out with the gifted students when he has a substitute?
9. What does Joey do when he needs a break at his new school?
10. What did Ms. Maxy do after the accident with another classmate that caused Joey's feelings to be hurt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joey attends two different schools in this book. Please use citations from the text to compare these two schools, their methods, and their effects on Joey.
Essay Topic 2
What does Joey learn from Ed, and how do these pieces of advice change his efforts to overcome his condition?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of abuse did Joey face in his life, and how did this keep him from excelling in his life?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)