|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many presents does Joey get from his mother when he goes to his new school?
2. What does Joey see when he sneaks out of class when he has a substitute teacher?
3. What is Joey's first present from his mother when he goes to his new school?
4. What keeps Joey from jumping off the bus at the railroad tracks?
5. What does Joey's mother say Joey is not?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joey's punishment for hurting one of his classmates?
2. How does Joey hurt another classmate?
3. Why does Joey say he wants a dog?
4. What does Ed say when Joey redials his mother's phone number compulsively on his first day at the new school?
5. What does Joey's mother ask of Joey when they are sitting in the car eating their fast food?
6. Why does Joey's mother cry the entire time she is talking with the principal about Joey's accident with Maria?
7. What was Joey doing just before he hurt one of his classmates?
8. What negative thing does Ed say about Joey's mother?
9. What secret does Joey share with the school nurse?
10. What does Joey do when he needs a break at his new school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What happens in Pittsburgh, and why is this so substantial in Joey's life?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)