|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the driver to Joey's new school call him?
2. How long does Joey's punishment remain in force after hurting a classmate?
3. What does Joey feel inspired to do after listening to Mrs. Cole?
4. What does Charlie do when Joey sits next to him?
5. Who does Maria's father blame for what happened to Joey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joey's mother cry the entire time she is talking with the principal about Joey's accident with Maria?
2. How does Joey hurt another classmate?
3. How did Joey's grandmother used to use his mother against him?
4. Why does Joey say he wants a dog?
5. What did Joey used to do after his mother left him?
6. Why does Joey's mother say she was unable to come back to him sooner?
7. What does Joey gain from sneaking out with the gifted students when he has a substitute?
8. What does Ed tell Joey when they first meet?
9. What secret does Joey share with the school nurse?
10. What does Joey do when he gets hyper on the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Joey's dog symbolize, and why was it so important for Joey to get a dog?
Essay Topic 2
Joey's mother endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
What happens in Pittsburgh, and why is this so substantial in Joey's life?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)