|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joey's mother pinch him when they are talking to the principal after Joey hurts a class mate?
2. Who does Joey hope to see while in Pittsburgh?
3. What does Joey try to do when he gets home after trying to make it up to Maria?
4. Why is Maria transferred to a different school?
5. Why does Joey go to the nurse after sneaking out of class when he has a substitute?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Joey doing just before he hurt one of his classmates?
2. How did Joey's grandmother used to use his mother against him?
3. What does Joey do when he needs a break at his new school?
4. What does Ed say when Joey redials his mother's phone number compulsively on his first day at the new school?
5. What does Ed tell Joey when they first meet?
6. What do Joey and his mother do to entertain themselves on the trip to Pittsburgh?
7. Why does Joey tell his mother about his past hurts while they are traveling to Pittsburgh?
8. What did Ms. Maxy do after the accident with another classmate that caused Joey's feelings to be hurt?
9. What does Joey do when he gets hyper on the bus?
10. What does Joey's mother ask of Joey when they are sitting in the car eating their fast food?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Maxy was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Joey's mother endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)