|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is Joey told not to do at school?
2. Why is Joey's new medication not the best thing for him?
3. What does Joey do to help the person having a party?
4. What does Joey do repeatedly before going to school?
5. What is Joey given instead of the pie on the field trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Joey abandoned by early in his life?
2. Why does Joey think his medication does not work?
3. What does Joey do when he is asked to sharpen pencils?
4. Why did Joey blow out Harold's candles?
5. What is Joey not allowed to do on the field trip, and why?
6. What good things does Joey say comes from his hyperactivity?
7. What are some of the ways Joey's grandmother was physically abusive?
8. What does Joey do when he gets bored with the Big Quiet Chair?
9. What does Joey do when he is put in the hall after being rude to his teacher?
10. What is Joey given when he is denied a piece of pie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of abuse did Joey face in his life, and how did this keep him from excelling in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Maxy was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)