|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joey's grandmother try to lock him one day?
2. What question does Joey ask his mother when she gets home the day he forgets his key?
3. What is Mrs. Jarzab's occupation?
4. What does Joey hate being called by teachers?
5. What caused Joey and his family to fight a lot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joey wish he could be?
2. What does Joey sense from the mothers in the Special Education room?
3. What does Ms. Maxy tell Joey the problem with his plans is?
4. Who was Joey abandoned by early in his life?
5. Why does Joey say he depends on his mother?
6. What does Joey ask his mother after Harold's party, and why?
7. What does Joey's mother get upset about after Harold's party?
8. Why did Joey blow out Harold's candles?
9. What does Joey do when he gets bored with the Big Quiet Chair?
10. Why did Joey's grandmother choose to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the consequences of Fran's actions, and how did she feel about them by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Maxy was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What happened when Joey went to apologize to Maria, and why was this so surprising to Joey? How did this change his outlook on life and his condition?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)