|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bynum say Jeremy's gone at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What does Seth chide Bynum for?
3. What room does Act 2, Scene 3 take place in?
4. What does Seth keep urging Bynum to do?
5. What are Seth and Bynum doing at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss loneliness in the play.
1) Mattie is lonely and starts a relationship with Jeremy to combat loneliness. Why does she agree to this relationship? Why can't she overcome her loneliness?
2) How does Loomis deal with being alone? How does Bynum deal with being alone?
3) Does a society of friends or companions fulfill loneliness in the play, or can only a love relationship fulfill loneliness? What role does spirituality play in fulfilling loneliness?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of financial independence to characters in the story.
1) Seth wants to gain financial independence by starting his own business. What stops him from achieving his goal? Why is this an important goal for him?
2) Molly doesn't want to be "bought." She wants to be independent, while not working. What kind of independence does she achieve? How does money play into her independence?
3) Why does Mattie continue to work while she is with Jeremy? Does her working keep them separate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of being trapped in a relationship in the play.
1) Why do men leave women in the play? Why does Jack leave Mattie? Why did Bynum leave his woman?
2) What makes a character stay in a relationship? Is a relationship always a kind of entrapment in the play?
3) Why do women want men to stay in the play? How is Molly's attitude different than Mattie's? Would Molly feel trapped in a relationship?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)