|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie say no man wants?
2. Where does Bynum say the song he starts singing comes from?
3. What does Martha say she's been doing since Herald picked up Zonia at her mother's?
4. What does Loomis compare Joe Turner catching slaves to?
5. Who does Bertha blame for Jeremy's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Herald Loomis says that he is trying to find a place to fit. Discuss this concept in the play.
1) Which of the characters' have found places to fit in the world? How do they fit into their destinies?
2) Is there only one place, one destiny, for each character? Is Bynum able to "match" people to the places they fit, like suggesting that Jeremy go play in the guitar contests?
3) What makes a character fit into his or her place? Does this necessarily involve a job or a relationship?
4) Can Herald Loomis be successful in finding a place to fit in the world? Will finding Martha help him do this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the metaphor of traveling in the play.
1) In the play, freed blacks travel across the country and become separated from each other. What motivates this traveling? What does it show about these people and their experiences?
2) Characters in the play travel in search of people and things that they've lost. What are the characters searching for? Why is travel important in their search?
3) Roads play important roles in both Bynum and Loomis' visions. Explain the significance of roads and traveling in the characters' visions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss hope in the story.
1) Why do the freed slaves come north to Pittsburgh? What does Seth think and say about their hope for a new life? How accurate is Seth's opinion?
2) Do the characters have hope during the play? Do any of the characters, such as Loomis, Jeremy, or Mattie, gain hope? What do they hope for?
3) What role does hope play in life and happiness in the play? Is hope helpful or harmful?
This section contains 1,855 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)