|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Loomis tell Zonia to do at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What does Bertha give Mr. Loomis for breakfast?
3. What was Loomis doing when Joe Turner caught him?
4. Who did Reuben see out in the yard the previous night?
5. Zonia asks Reuben what something feels like. What does she ask about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss loneliness in the play.
1) Mattie is lonely and starts a relationship with Jeremy to combat loneliness. Why does she agree to this relationship? Why can't she overcome her loneliness?
2) How does Loomis deal with being alone? How does Bynum deal with being alone?
3) Does a society of friends or companions fulfill loneliness in the play, or can only a love relationship fulfill loneliness? What role does spirituality play in fulfilling loneliness?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of being trapped in a relationship in the play.
1) Why do men leave women in the play? Why does Jack leave Mattie? Why did Bynum leave his woman?
2) What makes a character stay in a relationship? Is a relationship always a kind of entrapment in the play?
3) Why do women want men to stay in the play? How is Molly's attitude different than Mattie's? Would Molly feel trapped in a relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in the play.
1) Discuss Molly's attitude toward sex, money, and freedom. Where does this attitude come from? Is Molly healthier or happier than the other women in the play?
2) Discuss Mattie's reliance on a man in the play. Why does she need a relationship and children?
3) Discuss Bertha's role in the play. Why is Bertha always shown in the kitchen, cooking? What role does she have in her marriage with Seth? Is their relationship a healthy one?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)