Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Loomis doing when Joe Turner caught him?
2. What does Reuben say the ghost was wearing?
3. Who did Reuben see out in the yard the previous night?
4. Who does Loomis say he's finding his wife for?
5. Where does Bynum say the song he starts singing comes from?
Discuss the concept of being trapped in a relationship in the play.
1) Why do men leave women in the play? Why does Jack leave Mattie? Why did Bynum leave his woman?
2) What makes a character stay in a relationship? Is a relationship always a kind of entrapment in the play?
3) Why do women want men to stay in the play? How is Molly's attitude different than Mattie's? Would Molly feel trapped in a relationship?
Discuss the losing of the self in the play.
1) How does Loomis lose himself and his identity in the play? Why can't he reclaim it?
2) What is the significance of a person's Song, as Bynum describes it, and how does losing one's Song equate to losing one's self?
3) How can characters find themselves? Which characters are still lost at the end of the play?
Throughout the play, there are forces that bind people and forces that tear people apart. Discuss these forces.
1) What types of things bind people to each other and to places and lives in the play? Are these things good or bad, or are some good and some bad? How do negative binding forces (like the chains of slavery) affect the other things that bind people together or to elements of their lives?
2) What types of things tear people apart in the play? Are these things good or bad, or are some good and some bad? What role might tearing apart have in building identity?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)