|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what context does Bynum use the play's title?
2. What was Loomis doing when Joe Turner caught him?
3. Where does Bynum say the song he starts singing comes from?
4. What does Loomis want to say to Martha?
5. What does Bertha say Loomis needs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disuss the losing of others in the play.
1) Why do characters need each other and find themselves bound together in the play?
2) Why do characters, such as Jack and Martha, leave others in the play? What is the significance to the leaver, and what is the significance to the one who is left?
3) Once a person in the play has lost another, is it possible to reclaim that lost person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss religion in the play.
1) What is the significance of the washing in blood that appears both in Bynum's vision and in the end of the play? What religious significance does it have?
2) Compare the Christian religion of the characters to Bynum's spiritualism. What parallels do they have? How are they different? Where does each arise from?
3) Why does Loomis rail against religion? What significance is there to the fact that Martha followed her church away from Loomis?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss hope in the story.
1) Why do the freed slaves come north to Pittsburgh? What does Seth think and say about their hope for a new life? How accurate is Seth's opinion?
2) Do the characters have hope during the play? Do any of the characters, such as Loomis, Jeremy, or Mattie, gain hope? What do they hope for?
3) What role does hope play in life and happiness in the play? Is hope helpful or harmful?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)