|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie say she's been trying to figure out about Loomis?
2. What does Martha say Loomis needs?
3. What does Jeremy suggest Molly needs a man for?
4. What type of person does Molly ask Bynum if he is?
5. What does Loomis want to say to Martha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss hope in the story.
1) Why do the freed slaves come north to Pittsburgh? What does Seth think and say about their hope for a new life? How accurate is Seth's opinion?
2) Do the characters have hope during the play? Do any of the characters, such as Loomis, Jeremy, or Mattie, gain hope? What do they hope for?
3) What role does hope play in life and happiness in the play? Is hope helpful or harmful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one's responsibility to one's self and to others in the play.
1) What responsibility does Martha have to Herald after he is enslaved? Is she wrong to leave, instead of waiting for him indefinitely?
2) What responsibility does Herald have toward Martha? Does he fulfill his responsibilities?
3) Is it more important in the play to live for one's self, as Molly seems to, or to live for others, as Mattie seems to?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what children gain from their parents in the play.
1) Seth learned metalworking from his father, and many of the characters learned trades from their parents. What significance does this have in the story? Is a person fated or destined to a certain life based on their parents?
2) What significance is there to Selig's story of his great-grandfather captaining slave ships and his father retrieving slaves for plantation owners? What about Bynum's inheritance of spiritual power from his father the healer?
3) What does Zonia gain from her father and from her mother? What does she inherit from them?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)