|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Loomis say he's been watching Mattie do?
2. What does Seth say when Bertha asks why he is late?
3. How long was Loomis kept by Joe Turner?
4. What does Bynum say he used to do?
5. What does Bynum say his father used to do for people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the losing of the self in the play.
1) How does Loomis lose himself and his identity in the play? Why can't he reclaim it?
2) What is the significance of a person's Song, as Bynum describes it, and how does losing one's Song equate to losing one's self?
3) How can characters find themselves? Which characters are still lost at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one's responsibility to one's self and to others in the play.
1) What responsibility does Martha have to Herald after he is enslaved? Is she wrong to leave, instead of waiting for him indefinitely?
2) What responsibility does Herald have toward Martha? Does he fulfill his responsibilities?
3) Is it more important in the play to live for one's self, as Molly seems to, or to live for others, as Mattie seems to?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss hope in the story.
1) Why do the freed slaves come north to Pittsburgh? What does Seth think and say about their hope for a new life? How accurate is Seth's opinion?
2) Do the characters have hope during the play? Do any of the characters, such as Loomis, Jeremy, or Mattie, gain hope? What do they hope for?
3) What role does hope play in life and happiness in the play? Is hope helpful or harmful?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)