|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bynum tell Loomis that he's singing?
2. What does Bertha recommend to Loomis?
3. What does Loomis say about Mattie's dress?
4. What does Seth warn Jeremy, now that Jeremy has no job?
5. What does Seth apologize to Molly for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disuss the losing of others in the play.
1) Why do characters need each other and find themselves bound together in the play?
2) Why do characters, such as Jack and Martha, leave others in the play? What is the significance to the leaver, and what is the significance to the one who is left?
3) Once a person in the play has lost another, is it possible to reclaim that lost person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one's responsibility to one's self and to others in the play.
1) What responsibility does Martha have to Herald after he is enslaved? Is she wrong to leave, instead of waiting for him indefinitely?
2) What responsibility does Herald have toward Martha? Does he fulfill his responsibilities?
3) Is it more important in the play to live for one's self, as Molly seems to, or to live for others, as Mattie seems to?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss religion in the play.
1) What is the significance of the washing in blood that appears both in Bynum's vision and in the end of the play? What religious significance does it have?
2) Compare the Christian religion of the characters to Bynum's spiritualism. What parallels do they have? How are they different? Where does each arise from?
3) Why does Loomis rail against religion? What significance is there to the fact that Martha followed her church away from Loomis?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)