|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seth say Joe Turner wanted from Loomis?
2. What room does Act 2, Scene 3 take place in?
3. What dead person does Reuben say he saw?
4. Who is the only person Molly says she loves?
5. What does Martha say Loomis needs?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women in the play.
1) Discuss Molly's attitude toward sex, money, and freedom. Where does this attitude come from? Is Molly healthier or happier than the other women in the play?
2) Discuss Mattie's reliance on a man in the play. Why does she need a relationship and children?
3) Discuss Bertha's role in the play. Why is Bertha always shown in the kitchen, cooking? What role does she have in her marriage with Seth? Is their relationship a healthy one?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the losing of the self in the play.
1) How does Loomis lose himself and his identity in the play? Why can't he reclaim it?
2) What is the significance of a person's Song, as Bynum describes it, and how does losing one's Song equate to losing one's self?
3) How can characters find themselves? Which characters are still lost at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss enslavement in the play.
1) What different types of enslavement are there in the play? How is Bynum's binding an enslavement? Is being in a relationship enslaving? Is religion enslaving?
2) In what ways is Loomis still enslaved by his seven years' labor for Joe Turner? What long-term effects does enslavement have on the characters?
This section contains 1,841 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)