|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of person does Molly ask Bynum if he is?
2. What odd shift does Seth work?
3. Why was Jeremy fired?
4. What does Molly say her mother wouldn't do?
5. How does Loomis react to Bynum's singing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women in the play.
1) Discuss Molly's attitude toward sex, money, and freedom. Where does this attitude come from? Is Molly healthier or happier than the other women in the play?
2) Discuss Mattie's reliance on a man in the play. Why does she need a relationship and children?
3) Discuss Bertha's role in the play. Why is Bertha always shown in the kitchen, cooking? What role does she have in her marriage with Seth? Is their relationship a healthy one?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one's responsibility to one's self and to others in the play.
1) What responsibility does Martha have to Herald after he is enslaved? Is she wrong to leave, instead of waiting for him indefinitely?
2) What responsibility does Herald have toward Martha? Does he fulfill his responsibilities?
3) Is it more important in the play to live for one's self, as Molly seems to, or to live for others, as Mattie seems to?
Essay Topic 3
Herald Loomis says that he is trying to find a place to fit. Discuss this concept in the play.
1) Which of the characters' have found places to fit in the world? How do they fit into their destinies?
2) Is there only one place, one destiny, for each character? Is Bynum able to "match" people to the places they fit, like suggesting that Jeremy go play in the guitar contests?
3) What makes a character fit into his or her place? Does this necessarily involve a job or a relationship?
4) Can Herald Loomis be successful in finding a place to fit in the world? Will finding Martha help him do this?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)