|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Loomis say when Mattie asks what he'll do if he can't find his wife?
2. Why does Seth say Bynum is singing?
3. How long ago does Bynum say he learned the song?
4. What does Zonia's father say can happen if you miss someone too much?
5. What does Bynum say he used to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of music throughout the play.
1) What role does the Juba play? What type of music is this? What is its origin and meaning, and why does it make Loomis angry?
2) What role does Jeremy's music play in the story? Why does he carry his guitar with him? What does his music say about his character?
3) What role does the song "Joe Turner's Come and Gone" play in the story? Is it important that Joe Turner's name is embodied in song? Why does the name come to Bynum through a song?
4) How does the Binding Song or Bynum's father's Healing Song relate to the role of music in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of financial independence to characters in the story.
1) Seth wants to gain financial independence by starting his own business. What stops him from achieving his goal? Why is this an important goal for him?
2) Molly doesn't want to be "bought." She wants to be independent, while not working. What kind of independence does she achieve? How does money play into her independence?
3) Why does Mattie continue to work while she is with Jeremy? Does her working keep them separate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of being trapped in a relationship in the play.
1) Why do men leave women in the play? Why does Jack leave Mattie? Why did Bynum leave his woman?
2) What makes a character stay in a relationship? Is a relationship always a kind of entrapment in the play?
3) Why do women want men to stay in the play? How is Molly's attitude different than Mattie's? Would Molly feel trapped in a relationship?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)