Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Loomis doing when Joe Turner caught him?
2. What does Reuben say the ghost was wearing?
3. Who did Reuben see out in the yard the previous night?
4. Who does Loomis say he's finding his wife for?
5. Where does Bynum say the song he starts singing comes from?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, there are forces that bind people and forces that tear people apart. Discuss these forces.
1) What types of things bind people to each other and to places and lives in the play? Are these things good or bad, or are some good and some bad? How do negative binding forces (like the chains of slavery) affect the other things that bind people together or to elements of their lives?
2) What types of things tear people apart in the play? Are these things good or bad, or are some good and some bad? What role might tearing apart have in building identity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of music throughout the play.
1) What role does the Juba play? What type of music is this? What is its origin and meaning, and why does it make Loomis angry?
2) What role does Jeremy's music play in the story? Why does he carry his guitar with him? What does his music say about his character?
3) What role does the song "Joe Turner's Come and Gone" play in the story? Is it important that Joe Turner's name is embodied in song? Why does the name come to Bynum through a song?
4) How does the Binding Song or Bynum's father's Healing Song relate to the role of music in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss hope in the story.
1) Why do the freed slaves come north to Pittsburgh? What does Seth think and say about their hope for a new life? How accurate is Seth's opinion?
2) Do the characters have hope during the play? Do any of the characters, such as Loomis, Jeremy, or Mattie, gain hope? What do they hope for?
3) What role does hope play in life and happiness in the play? Is hope helpful or harmful?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)