|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Loomis cut with his knife?
2. What was Loomis doing when Joe Turner caught him?
3. What does Martha say she's been doing since Herald picked up Zonia at her mother's?
4. What places does Jeremy say he wants to see?
5. What does Molly say about whether she would have gone to Bynum's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning of Eugene's pigeons in the play.
1) Why does Reuben keep Eugene's pigeons instead of setting them free? Why might Eugene want the pigeons set free after his death?
2) Why does Seth's mother's ghost come and force Reuben to free the pigeons?
3) What symbolism do the pigeons have in Bynum's rituals?
Essay Topic 2
Herald Loomis says that he is trying to find a place to fit. Discuss this concept in the play.
1) Which of the characters' have found places to fit in the world? How do they fit into their destinies?
2) Is there only one place, one destiny, for each character? Is Bynum able to "match" people to the places they fit, like suggesting that Jeremy go play in the guitar contests?
3) What makes a character fit into his or her place? Does this necessarily involve a job or a relationship?
4) Can Herald Loomis be successful in finding a place to fit in the world? Will finding Martha help him do this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one's responsibility to one's self and to others in the play.
1) What responsibility does Martha have to Herald after he is enslaved? Is she wrong to leave, instead of waiting for him indefinitely?
2) What responsibility does Herald have toward Martha? Does he fulfill his responsibilities?
3) Is it more important in the play to live for one's self, as Molly seems to, or to live for others, as Mattie seems to?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)