|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Loomis say when Mattie asks how he got separated from his wife?
2. How long was Loomis kept by Joe Turner?
3. How long ago does Bynum say he learned the song?
4. What are Seth and Bynum doing at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What does Molly say about whether she would have gone to Bynum's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disuss the losing of others in the play.
1) Why do characters need each other and find themselves bound together in the play?
2) Why do characters, such as Jack and Martha, leave others in the play? What is the significance to the leaver, and what is the significance to the one who is left?
3) Once a person in the play has lost another, is it possible to reclaim that lost person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss enslavement in the play.
1) What different types of enslavement are there in the play? How is Bynum's binding an enslavement? Is being in a relationship enslaving? Is religion enslaving?
2) In what ways is Loomis still enslaved by his seven years' labor for Joe Turner? What long-term effects does enslavement have on the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of music throughout the play.
1) What role does the Juba play? What type of music is this? What is its origin and meaning, and why does it make Loomis angry?
2) What role does Jeremy's music play in the story? Why does he carry his guitar with him? What does his music say about his character?
3) What role does the song "Joe Turner's Come and Gone" play in the story? Is it important that Joe Turner's name is embodied in song? Why does the name come to Bynum through a song?
4) How does the Binding Song or Bynum's father's Healing Song relate to the role of music in the play?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)