|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seth threaten to kick Loomis out if he does?
2. Why does Seth say Bynum is singing?
3. What does Seth keep urging Bynum to do?
4. What profession does Bynum ask if Loomis has had?
5. What does Mattie give to Zonia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of financial independence to characters in the story.
1) Seth wants to gain financial independence by starting his own business. What stops him from achieving his goal? Why is this an important goal for him?
2) Molly doesn't want to be "bought." She wants to be independent, while not working. What kind of independence does she achieve? How does money play into her independence?
3) Why does Mattie continue to work while she is with Jeremy? Does her working keep them separate?
Essay Topic 2
Though black slaves have been freed, the characters in the play still experience oppression. Discuss oppression in the play.
1) How is Jeremy oppressed, both when he is arrested and when he is fired from his job? What forces make this oppression possible?
2) Does Seth experience oppression or prejudice? Does his lack of backing in his metalworking plan and his relationship with Selig indicate any prejudice?
3) Is Bertha's story of how Selig makes money finding people credible? What significance does it have?
4) What forces in society lead to oppression of the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning of Eugene's pigeons in the play.
1) Why does Reuben keep Eugene's pigeons instead of setting them free? Why might Eugene want the pigeons set free after his death?
2) Why does Seth's mother's ghost come and force Reuben to free the pigeons?
3) What symbolism do the pigeons have in Bynum's rituals?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)