|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Herald Loomis been looking for his wife?
2. What does Molly say about her room?
3. What does Seth keep urging Bynum to do?
4. When does Bertha say is the only time Seth is satisfied?
5. What does Loomis say he's forgotten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in the story search for meaning in their lives. Discuss this search for meaning.
1) What meaning has Bynum found in life? Why does Bynum say that others need to find the meaning of life for themselves?
2) What makes life meaningful for Jeremy? Will he continue to find this meaning fulfilling?
3) What does Seth find meaningful in life? Is Seth satisfied with his life? Does he search for meaning?
4) What meaning is Loomis searching for in his life? What about the other characters, such as Mattie and Molly?
Essay Topic 2
Disuss the losing of others in the play.
1) Why do characters need each other and find themselves bound together in the play?
2) Why do characters, such as Jack and Martha, leave others in the play? What is the significance to the leaver, and what is the significance to the one who is left?
3) Once a person in the play has lost another, is it possible to reclaim that lost person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning of Eugene's pigeons in the play.
1) Why does Reuben keep Eugene's pigeons instead of setting them free? Why might Eugene want the pigeons set free after his death?
2) Why does Seth's mother's ghost come and force Reuben to free the pigeons?
3) What symbolism do the pigeons have in Bynum's rituals?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)