|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martha say Loomis needs?
2. Who is the only person Molly says she loves?
3. What suggestion does Molly give Jeremy about his job?
4. What does Seth say about Loomis' dinner?
5. Why was Jeremy fired?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the metaphor of traveling in the play.
1) In the play, freed blacks travel across the country and become separated from each other. What motivates this traveling? What does it show about these people and their experiences?
2) Characters in the play travel in search of people and things that they've lost. What are the characters searching for? Why is travel important in their search?
3) Roads play important roles in both Bynum and Loomis' visions. Explain the significance of roads and traveling in the characters' visions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women in the play.
1) Discuss Molly's attitude toward sex, money, and freedom. Where does this attitude come from? Is Molly healthier or happier than the other women in the play?
2) Discuss Mattie's reliance on a man in the play. Why does she need a relationship and children?
3) Discuss Bertha's role in the play. Why is Bertha always shown in the kitchen, cooking? What role does she have in her marriage with Seth? Is their relationship a healthy one?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the losing of the self in the play.
1) How does Loomis lose himself and his identity in the play? Why can't he reclaim it?
2) What is the significance of a person's Song, as Bynum describes it, and how does losing one's Song equate to losing one's self?
3) How can characters find themselves? Which characters are still lost at the end of the play?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)