|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie give to Zonia?
2. What room does Act 2, Scene 3 take place in?
3. How long ago does Bynum say he learned the song?
4. What is Molly's attitude toward men?
5. How long has Herald Loomis been looking for his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss loneliness in the play.
1) Mattie is lonely and starts a relationship with Jeremy to combat loneliness. Why does she agree to this relationship? Why can't she overcome her loneliness?
2) How does Loomis deal with being alone? How does Bynum deal with being alone?
3) Does a society of friends or companions fulfill loneliness in the play, or can only a love relationship fulfill loneliness? What role does spirituality play in fulfilling loneliness?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of financial independence to characters in the story.
1) Seth wants to gain financial independence by starting his own business. What stops him from achieving his goal? Why is this an important goal for him?
2) Molly doesn't want to be "bought." She wants to be independent, while not working. What kind of independence does she achieve? How does money play into her independence?
3) Why does Mattie continue to work while she is with Jeremy? Does her working keep them separate?
Essay Topic 3
Trauma is the enduring effects of an injury, such as slavery, which leaves a generations-long mark on African-Americans. Discuss trauma in the play.
1) How has Herald Loomis' trauma from being enslaved affected him and his life? Do any of the other characters affected a similar trauma?
2) How do the cultural repercussions of slavery affect Jeremy?
3) How do the cultural repercussions of slavery affect the women in the play and their relationships with men?
4) How is trauma from Herald Loomis' experience passed down to Zonia?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)