|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeremy ask Molly to do?
2. What does Mattie say she's been trying to figure out about Loomis?
3. What does Zonia's father say can happen if you miss someone too much?
4. Who is the only person Molly says she loves?
5. Who does Bertha blame for Jeremy's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loomis's vision is an important element in the play. Discuss the meaning and significance of this vision.
1) What do the bones walking on water signify? Why do they sink? Why are they washed to shore?
2) Why is Loomis one of the sets of bones that washes to shore? Why can't he rise up and walk away like the other people?
3) What does the road signify in the vision? Why do the washed-up people walk down the road in different directions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss loneliness in the play.
1) Mattie is lonely and starts a relationship with Jeremy to combat loneliness. Why does she agree to this relationship? Why can't she overcome her loneliness?
2) How does Loomis deal with being alone? How does Bynum deal with being alone?
3) Does a society of friends or companions fulfill loneliness in the play, or can only a love relationship fulfill loneliness? What role does spirituality play in fulfilling loneliness?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of being trapped in a relationship in the play.
1) Why do men leave women in the play? Why does Jack leave Mattie? Why did Bynum leave his woman?
2) What makes a character stay in a relationship? Is a relationship always a kind of entrapment in the play?
3) Why do women want men to stay in the play? How is Molly's attitude different than Mattie's? Would Molly feel trapped in a relationship?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)