|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Loomis doing when Joe Turner caught him?
2. What does Reuben say the ghost was wearing?
3. Who did Reuben see out in the yard the previous night?
4. Who does Loomis say he's finding his wife for?
5. Where does Bynum say the song he starts singing comes from?
Essay Topic 1
Trauma is the enduring effects of an injury, such as slavery, which leaves a generations-long mark on African-Americans. Discuss trauma in the play.
1) How has Herald Loomis' trauma from being enslaved affected him and his life? Do any of the other characters affected a similar trauma?
2) How do the cultural repercussions of slavery affect Jeremy?
3) How do the cultural repercussions of slavery affect the women in the play and their relationships with men?
4) How is trauma from Herald Loomis' experience passed down to Zonia?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss loneliness in the play.
1) Mattie is lonely and starts a relationship with Jeremy to combat loneliness. Why does she agree to this relationship? Why can't she overcome her loneliness?
2) How does Loomis deal with being alone? How does Bynum deal with being alone?
3) Does a society of friends or companions fulfill loneliness in the play, or can only a love relationship fulfill loneliness? What role does spirituality play in fulfilling loneliness?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of being trapped in a relationship in the play.
1) Why do men leave women in the play? Why does Jack leave Mattie? Why did Bynum leave his woman?
2) What makes a character stay in a relationship? Is a relationship always a kind of entrapment in the play?
3) Why do women want men to stay in the play? How is Molly's attitude different than Mattie's? Would Molly feel trapped in a relationship?
This section contains 1,835 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)