|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bertha blame for Jeremy's behavior?
2. What does Seth remind Loomis of?
3. Who was Joe Turner's brother?
4. When does Bertha say Mattie will find what she's looking for?
5. Who does Bynum say Loomis belonged to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss enslavement in the play.
1) What different types of enslavement are there in the play? How is Bynum's binding an enslavement? Is being in a relationship enslaving? Is religion enslaving?
2) In what ways is Loomis still enslaved by his seven years' labor for Joe Turner? What long-term effects does enslavement have on the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Though black slaves have been freed, the characters in the play still experience oppression. Discuss oppression in the play.
1) How is Jeremy oppressed, both when he is arrested and when he is fired from his job? What forces make this oppression possible?
2) Does Seth experience oppression or prejudice? Does his lack of backing in his metalworking plan and his relationship with Selig indicate any prejudice?
3) Is Bertha's story of how Selig makes money finding people credible? What significance does it have?
4) What forces in society lead to oppression of the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss hope in the story.
1) Why do the freed slaves come north to Pittsburgh? What does Seth think and say about their hope for a new life? How accurate is Seth's opinion?
2) Do the characters have hope during the play? Do any of the characters, such as Loomis, Jeremy, or Mattie, gain hope? What do they hope for?
3) What role does hope play in life and happiness in the play? Is hope helpful or harmful?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)