Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Loomis doing when Joe Turner caught him?
2. What does Reuben say the ghost was wearing?
3. Who did Reuben see out in the yard the previous night?
4. Who does Loomis say he's finding his wife for?
5. Where does Bynum say the song he starts singing comes from?
Discuss the role of music throughout the play.
1) What role does the Juba play? What type of music is this? What is its origin and meaning, and why does it make Loomis angry?
2) What role does Jeremy's music play in the story? Why does he carry his guitar with him? What does his music say about his character?
3) What role does the song "Joe Turner's Come and Gone" play in the story? Is it important that Joe Turner's name is embodied in song? Why does the name come to Bynum through a song?
4) How does the Binding Song or Bynum's father's Healing Song relate to the role of music in the play?
Trauma is the enduring effects of an injury, such as slavery, which leaves a generations-long mark on African-Americans. Discuss trauma in the play.
1) How has Herald Loomis' trauma from being enslaved affected him and his life? Do any of the other characters affected a similar trauma?
2) How do the cultural repercussions of slavery affect Jeremy?
3) How do the cultural repercussions of slavery affect the women in the play and their relationships with men?
4) How is trauma from Herald Loomis' experience passed down to Zonia?
Discuss loneliness in the play.
1) Mattie is lonely and starts a relationship with Jeremy to combat loneliness. Why does she agree to this relationship? Why can't she overcome her loneliness?
2) How does Loomis deal with being alone? How does Bynum deal with being alone?
3) Does a society of friends or companions fulfill loneliness in the play, or can only a love relationship fulfill loneliness? What role does spirituality play in fulfilling loneliness?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)