|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Molly planning on going, if she hadn't missed the train?
2. Why does Selig say it's hard to find black people?
3. How long does Seth say it would take him to teach Bynum to make a pot?
4. Where does Bynum say he gets his name?
5. What does Bertha suggest Seth do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Molly's opinion about Mattie's job?
2. What does Selig tell Bynum on his second visit about Bynum's "shiny man"?
3. What state is Bynum in immediately after dinner and before the Juba?
4. What does Molly say about her father?
5. When Bynum presses Loomis, saying "then...what happened," what does Loomis tell about his vision?
6. What warning does Bynum give Mattie Campbell?
7. What is Seth's attitude to the black men coming to the city to find work and freedom?
8. Describe what Reuben says he still has from Eugene and what he plans to do with it.
9. Describe what Bynum tells Jeremy about touching.
10. How did Seth and Bertha come to have an empty room when Martha first came to the boardinghouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, there are forces that bind people and forces that tear people apart. Discuss these forces.
1) What types of things bind people to each other and to places and lives in the play? Are these things good or bad, or are some good and some bad? How do negative binding forces (like the chains of slavery) affect the other things that bind people together or to elements of their lives?
2) What types of things tear people apart in the play? Are these things good or bad, or are some good and some bad? What role might tearing apart have in building identity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meaning of Eugene's pigeons in the play.
1) Why does Reuben keep Eugene's pigeons instead of setting them free? Why might Eugene want the pigeons set free after his death?
2) Why does Seth's mother's ghost come and force Reuben to free the pigeons?
3) What symbolism do the pigeons have in Bynum's rituals?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what children gain from their parents in the play.
1) Seth learned metalworking from his father, and many of the characters learned trades from their parents. What significance does this have in the story? Is a person fated or destined to a certain life based on their parents?
2) What significance is there to Selig's story of his great-grandfather captaining slave ships and his father retrieving slaves for plantation owners? What about Bynum's inheritance of spiritual power from his father the healer?
3) What does Zonia gain from her father and from her mother? What does she inherit from them?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)