|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bertha call Zonia?
2. What does Bynum caution Jeremy that he's doing to Mattie, asking her to move in so soon?
3. Where did Jeremy win his dollar?
4. What does Loomis start to do to demonstrate how big he is?
5. What does Herald Loomis say his profession is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Molly's opinion about Mattie's job?
2. What is Seth's opinion of Bynum's behavior with Loomis after the Juba?
3. Describe what it means to "Juba."
4. What does Bertha advise Mattie about Bynum?
5. What does Bertha says Bynum has been doing all morning at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
6. Describe Bertha's attitude toward Herald Loomis.
7. What does Martha say happened to her when Herald was taken away?
8. When Seth and Bertha leave Mattie and Loomis alone, what does Mattie ask Loomis about?
9. What does Bertha say is the worst use of a man?
10. What does Selig tell Bynum on his second visit about Bynum's "shiny man"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disuss the losing of others in the play.
1) Why do characters need each other and find themselves bound together in the play?
2) Why do characters, such as Jack and Martha, leave others in the play? What is the significance to the leaver, and what is the significance to the one who is left?
3) Once a person in the play has lost another, is it possible to reclaim that lost person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss religion in the play.
1) What is the significance of the washing in blood that appears both in Bynum's vision and in the end of the play? What religious significance does it have?
2) Compare the Christian religion of the characters to Bynum's spiritualism. What parallels do they have? How are they different? Where does each arise from?
3) Why does Loomis rail against religion? What significance is there to the fact that Martha followed her church away from Loomis?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one's responsibility to one's self and to others in the play.
1) What responsibility does Martha have to Herald after he is enslaved? Is she wrong to leave, instead of waiting for him indefinitely?
2) What responsibility does Herald have toward Martha? Does he fulfill his responsibilities?
3) Is it more important in the play to live for one's self, as Molly seems to, or to live for others, as Mattie seems to?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)