|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chore does Bertha ask Seth to help her with?
2. What does Seth say Selig would have to do, if Seth got his business going?
3. Where does Molly go after paying Seth for a week's board and lodging?
4. Why does Seth say jokingly that he married Bertha?
5. What do Seth and Bertha say about Loomis after he interrupts the Juba?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bynum's first reaction to finding his song?
2. What does Selig tell Bynum on his second visit about Bynum's "shiny man"?
3. When Bynum presses Loomis, saying "then...what happened," what does Loomis tell about his vision?
4. What is the significance of Bynum's asking Loomis if he's ever been to Johnstown?
5. When Seth and Bertha leave Mattie and Loomis alone, what does Mattie ask Loomis about?
6. What does Bynum describe his father doing that made a fuss?
7. What does Bynum say about to Mattie luck?
8. What warning does Bynum give Mattie Campbell?
9. What is Seth's attitude to the black men coming to the city to find work and freedom?
10. What does Bertha says Bynum has been doing all morning at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss loneliness in the play.
1) Mattie is lonely and starts a relationship with Jeremy to combat loneliness. Why does she agree to this relationship? Why can't she overcome her loneliness?
2) How does Loomis deal with being alone? How does Bynum deal with being alone?
3) Does a society of friends or companions fulfill loneliness in the play, or can only a love relationship fulfill loneliness? What role does spirituality play in fulfilling loneliness?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the story search for meaning in their lives. Discuss this search for meaning.
1) What meaning has Bynum found in life? Why does Bynum say that others need to find the meaning of life for themselves?
2) What makes life meaningful for Jeremy? Will he continue to find this meaning fulfilling?
3) What does Seth find meaningful in life? Is Seth satisfied with his life? Does he search for meaning?
4) What meaning is Loomis searching for in his life? What about the other characters, such as Mattie and Molly?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss religion in the play.
1) What is the significance of the washing in blood that appears both in Bynum's vision and in the end of the play? What religious significance does it have?
2) Compare the Christian religion of the characters to Bynum's spiritualism. What parallels do they have? How are they different? Where does each arise from?
3) Why does Loomis rail against religion? What significance is there to the fact that Martha followed her church away from Loomis?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)