Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Seth having difficulty finding at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What does Loomis start to do to demonstrate how big he is?
3. What does Mattie offer to help with?
4. What two meals does Seth provide for his boarders?
5. Who left the rooming house, still owing Seth two dollars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Molly's opinion about Mattie's job?
2. What does Reuben say the ghost he saw did and said?
3. Describe what it means to "Juba."
4. What does Loomis ask about God?
5. What does Seth say to Loomis, when Loomis first enters in Act 2, Scene 2?
6. How does Jeremy and Mattie's relationship progress?
7. What is Molly's reaction to the death of Mattie's two babies?
8. Why does Seth say he wants Jeremy to get his guitar?
9. Why does Jeremy not want to enter a guitar-playing contest?
10. Describe what Reuben says he still has from Eugene and what he plans to do with it.
Essay Topic 1
Trauma is the enduring effects of an injury, such as slavery, which leaves a generations-long mark on African-Americans. Discuss trauma in the play.
1) How has Herald Loomis' trauma from being enslaved affected him and his life? Do any of the other characters affected a similar trauma?
2) How do the cultural repercussions of slavery affect Jeremy?
3) How do the cultural repercussions of slavery affect the women in the play and their relationships with men?
4) How is trauma from Herald Loomis' experience passed down to Zonia?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women in the play.
1) Discuss Molly's attitude toward sex, money, and freedom. Where does this attitude come from? Is Molly healthier or happier than the other women in the play?
2) Discuss Mattie's reliance on a man in the play. Why does she need a relationship and children?
3) Discuss Bertha's role in the play. Why is Bertha always shown in the kitchen, cooking? What role does she have in her marriage with Seth? Is their relationship a healthy one?
Essay Topic 3
Herald Loomis says that he is trying to find a place to fit. Discuss this concept in the play.
1) Which of the characters' have found places to fit in the world? How do they fit into their destinies?
2) Is there only one place, one destiny, for each character? Is Bynum able to "match" people to the places they fit, like suggesting that Jeremy go play in the guitar contests?
3) What makes a character fit into his or her place? Does this necessarily involve a job or a relationship?
4) Can Herald Loomis be successful in finding a place to fit in the world? Will finding Martha help him do this?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)