Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Seth having difficulty finding at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What does Loomis start to do to demonstrate how big he is?
3. What does Mattie offer to help with?
4. What two meals does Seth provide for his boarders?
5. Who left the rooming house, still owing Seth two dollars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Molly's opinion about Mattie's job?
2. What does Reuben say the ghost he saw did and said?
3. Describe what it means to "Juba."
4. What does Loomis ask about God?
5. What does Seth say to Loomis, when Loomis first enters in Act 2, Scene 2?
6. How does Jeremy and Mattie's relationship progress?
7. What is Molly's reaction to the death of Mattie's two babies?
8. Why does Seth say he wants Jeremy to get his guitar?
9. Why does Jeremy not want to enter a guitar-playing contest?
10. Describe what Reuben says he still has from Eugene and what he plans to do with it.
Discuss one's responsibility to one's self and to others in the play.
1) What responsibility does Martha have to Herald after he is enslaved? Is she wrong to leave, instead of waiting for him indefinitely?
2) What responsibility does Herald have toward Martha? Does he fulfill his responsibilities?
3) Is it more important in the play to live for one's self, as Molly seems to, or to live for others, as Mattie seems to?
Discuss the role of women in the play.
1) Discuss Molly's attitude toward sex, money, and freedom. Where does this attitude come from? Is Molly healthier or happier than the other women in the play?
2) Discuss Mattie's reliance on a man in the play. Why does she need a relationship and children?
3) Discuss Bertha's role in the play. Why is Bertha always shown in the kitchen, cooking? What role does she have in her marriage with Seth? Is their relationship a healthy one?
The characters in the story search for meaning in their lives. Discuss this search for meaning.
1) What meaning has Bynum found in life? Why does Bynum say that others need to find the meaning of life for themselves?
2) What makes life meaningful for Jeremy? Will he continue to find this meaning fulfilling?
3) What does Seth find meaningful in life? Is Seth satisfied with his life? Does he search for meaning?
4) What meaning is Loomis searching for in his life? What about the other characters, such as Mattie and Molly?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)