|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seth suggest Herald Loomis might do?
2. What did Mattie's man say was on her?
3. When will Selig come again?
4. What does Loomis say he's waiting on, when Bynum asks him?
5. Who does Mattie end up making a date with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Seth say to Loomis, when Loomis first enters in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. Why doesn't Seth like Herald Loomis?
3. What does Bynum say he sees about Loomis?
4. What does Martha say happened to her when Herald was taken away?
5. When Seth and Bertha leave Mattie and Loomis alone, what does Mattie ask Loomis about?
6. What does Loomis ask about God?
7. What is Jeremy's initial reaction to Molly Cunningham?
8. What does Bynum says "shows what a woman is"?
9. What warning does Bynum give Mattie Campbell?
10. What is Seth's opinion of Bynum's behavior with Loomis after the Juba?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of being trapped in a relationship in the play.
1) Why do men leave women in the play? Why does Jack leave Mattie? Why did Bynum leave his woman?
2) What makes a character stay in a relationship? Is a relationship always a kind of entrapment in the play?
3) Why do women want men to stay in the play? How is Molly's attitude different than Mattie's? Would Molly feel trapped in a relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Though black slaves have been freed, the characters in the play still experience oppression. Discuss oppression in the play.
1) How is Jeremy oppressed, both when he is arrested and when he is fired from his job? What forces make this oppression possible?
2) Does Seth experience oppression or prejudice? Does his lack of backing in his metalworking plan and his relationship with Selig indicate any prejudice?
3) Is Bertha's story of how Selig makes money finding people credible? What significance does it have?
4) What forces in society lead to oppression of the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the story search for meaning in their lives. Discuss this search for meaning.
1) What meaning has Bynum found in life? Why does Bynum say that others need to find the meaning of life for themselves?
2) What makes life meaningful for Jeremy? Will he continue to find this meaning fulfilling?
3) What does Seth find meaningful in life? Is Seth satisfied with his life? Does he search for meaning?
4) What meaning is Loomis searching for in his life? What about the other characters, such as Mattie and Molly?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)