|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zonia say she and her father have to find her mother?
2. Why does Selig say it's hard to find black people?
3. Who is missing from the dinner table, at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
4. Why can't Bynum tell Selig the meaning of life?
5. Why doesn't Seth want to tell Loomis where Martha is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bertha says Bynum has been doing all morning at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What warning does Bynum give Mattie Campbell?
3. What is the significance of Bynum's asking Loomis if he's ever been to Johnstown?
4. When Seth and Bertha leave Mattie and Loomis alone, what does Mattie ask Loomis about?
5. What state is Bynum in immediately after dinner and before the Juba?
6. What does Bynum say in defense of Loomis?
7. What is the first thing Loomis describes about his vision?
8. What is Molly's opinion about Mattie's job?
9. What is Seth's opinion of Bynum's behavior with Loomis after the Juba?
10. What problem does Seth foresee for Jeremy, and what does Seth suggest as a solution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss religion in the play.
1) What is the significance of the washing in blood that appears both in Bynum's vision and in the end of the play? What religious significance does it have?
2) Compare the Christian religion of the characters to Bynum's spiritualism. What parallels do they have? How are they different? Where does each arise from?
3) Why does Loomis rail against religion? What significance is there to the fact that Martha followed her church away from Loomis?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of being trapped in a relationship in the play.
1) Why do men leave women in the play? Why does Jack leave Mattie? Why did Bynum leave his woman?
2) What makes a character stay in a relationship? Is a relationship always a kind of entrapment in the play?
3) Why do women want men to stay in the play? How is Molly's attitude different than Mattie's? Would Molly feel trapped in a relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss enslavement in the play.
1) What different types of enslavement are there in the play? How is Bynum's binding an enslavement? Is being in a relationship enslaving? Is religion enslaving?
2) In what ways is Loomis still enslaved by his seven years' labor for Joe Turner? What long-term effects does enslavement have on the characters?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)