|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Selig ask Seth to make with the metal sheets he's brought?
2. Why did Selig leave his wife?
3. How much time has passed between the end of Act 1, Scene 2 and the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
4. How does Jeremy say Mattie treats him?
5. Why does Selig say he can't find Bynum's "shiny man"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Loomis' reaction to Seth's demand on him?
2. How does Loomis act when he first enters in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What state is Bynum in immediately after dinner and before the Juba?
4. What does Bynum describe his father doing that made a fuss?
5. What reason does Mattie give Loomis for hoping Loomis finds his wife?
6. What things does Bynum say a woman taught Jeremy?
7. What is Molly's reaction to the scene with Loomis after the Juba?
8. When Bynum presses Loomis, saying "then...what happened," what does Loomis tell about his vision?
9. What does Bynum say in defense of Loomis?
10. What reason does Bynum give for why he doesn't think Herald Loomis is a gambler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though black slaves have been freed, the characters in the play still experience oppression. Discuss oppression in the play.
1) How is Jeremy oppressed, both when he is arrested and when he is fired from his job? What forces make this oppression possible?
2) Does Seth experience oppression or prejudice? Does his lack of backing in his metalworking plan and his relationship with Selig indicate any prejudice?
3) Is Bertha's story of how Selig makes money finding people credible? What significance does it have?
4) What forces in society lead to oppression of the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss loneliness in the play.
1) Mattie is lonely and starts a relationship with Jeremy to combat loneliness. Why does she agree to this relationship? Why can't she overcome her loneliness?
2) How does Loomis deal with being alone? How does Bynum deal with being alone?
3) Does a society of friends or companions fulfill loneliness in the play, or can only a love relationship fulfill loneliness? What role does spirituality play in fulfilling loneliness?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of financial independence to characters in the story.
1) Seth wants to gain financial independence by starting his own business. What stops him from achieving his goal? Why is this an important goal for him?
2) Molly doesn't want to be "bought." She wants to be independent, while not working. What kind of independence does she achieve? How does money play into her independence?
3) Why does Mattie continue to work while she is with Jeremy? Does her working keep them separate?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)