Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Seth having difficulty finding at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What does Loomis start to do to demonstrate how big he is?
3. What does Mattie offer to help with?
4. What two meals does Seth provide for his boarders?
5. Who left the rooming house, still owing Seth two dollars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Molly's opinion about Mattie's job?
2. What does Reuben say the ghost he saw did and said?
3. Describe what it means to "Juba."
4. What does Loomis ask about God?
5. What does Seth say to Loomis, when Loomis first enters in Act 2, Scene 2?
6. How does Jeremy and Mattie's relationship progress?
7. What is Molly's reaction to the death of Mattie's two babies?
8. Why does Seth say he wants Jeremy to get his guitar?
9. Why does Jeremy not want to enter a guitar-playing contest?
10. Describe what Reuben says he still has from Eugene and what he plans to do with it.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss loneliness in the play.
1) Mattie is lonely and starts a relationship with Jeremy to combat loneliness. Why does she agree to this relationship? Why can't she overcome her loneliness?
2) How does Loomis deal with being alone? How does Bynum deal with being alone?
3) Does a society of friends or companions fulfill loneliness in the play, or can only a love relationship fulfill loneliness? What role does spirituality play in fulfilling loneliness?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the losing of the self in the play.
1) How does Loomis lose himself and his identity in the play? Why can't he reclaim it?
2) What is the significance of a person's Song, as Bynum describes it, and how does losing one's Song equate to losing one's self?
3) How can characters find themselves? Which characters are still lost at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the story search for meaning in their lives. Discuss this search for meaning.
1) What meaning has Bynum found in life? Why does Bynum say that others need to find the meaning of life for themselves?
2) What makes life meaningful for Jeremy? Will he continue to find this meaning fulfilling?
3) What does Seth find meaningful in life? Is Seth satisfied with his life? Does he search for meaning?
4) What meaning is Loomis searching for in his life? What about the other characters, such as Mattie and Molly?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)