|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bertha want Seth to make her?
2. Who left the rooming house, still owing Seth two dollars?
3. What type of business does Seth want to start?
4. In what strange way does Loomis start to speak?
5. What does Bynum caution Jeremy that he's doing to Mattie, asking her to move in so soon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Seth and Bertha come to have an empty room when Martha first came to the boardinghouse?
2. How does Loomis describe his wife to Selig?
3. What is Loomis' reaction to walking in on the Juba?
4. Explain the metaphor that Bynum tells to Jeremy to teach him about relationships.
5. What does Loomis ask about God?
6. What act does Loomis take to free himself and start anew?
7. Describe what Reuben says he still has from Eugene and what he plans to do with it.
8. What reason does Mattie give Loomis for hoping Loomis finds his wife?
9. What does Bynum describe his father doing that made a fuss?
10. How did Selig get in the people-finding business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of being trapped in a relationship in the play.
1) Why do men leave women in the play? Why does Jack leave Mattie? Why did Bynum leave his woman?
2) What makes a character stay in a relationship? Is a relationship always a kind of entrapment in the play?
3) Why do women want men to stay in the play? How is Molly's attitude different than Mattie's? Would Molly feel trapped in a relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what children gain from their parents in the play.
1) Seth learned metalworking from his father, and many of the characters learned trades from their parents. What significance does this have in the story? Is a person fated or destined to a certain life based on their parents?
2) What significance is there to Selig's story of his great-grandfather captaining slave ships and his father retrieving slaves for plantation owners? What about Bynum's inheritance of spiritual power from his father the healer?
3) What does Zonia gain from her father and from her mother? What does she inherit from them?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the story search for meaning in their lives. Discuss this search for meaning.
1) What meaning has Bynum found in life? Why does Bynum say that others need to find the meaning of life for themselves?
2) What makes life meaningful for Jeremy? Will he continue to find this meaning fulfilling?
3) What does Seth find meaningful in life? Is Seth satisfied with his life? Does he search for meaning?
4) What meaning is Loomis searching for in his life? What about the other characters, such as Mattie and Molly?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)