|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Seth say jokingly that he married Bertha?
2. What does Bynum give Mattie?
3. What is Bynum's reaction when Seth suggests a Juba?
4. Where does Herald Loomis hang around?
5. Why does Zonia say she and her father have to find her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Seth's opinion of Bynum's behavior with Loomis after the Juba?
2. What does Reuben imagine it would be like if Eugene's ghost came back?
3. What is Seth's response to Molly telling him that she likes "company"?
4. What does Bynum say he sees about Loomis?
5. Describe Bertha's attitude toward Herald Loomis.
6. What was Bynum's first reaction to finding his song?
7. What does Bynum describe his father doing that made a fuss?
8. Describe what Seth sees out the window at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1. What is Seth's reaction to it?
9. What reason does Bynum give for why he doesn't think Herald Loomis is a gambler?
10. Why doesn't Seth like Herald Loomis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss loneliness in the play.
1) Mattie is lonely and starts a relationship with Jeremy to combat loneliness. Why does she agree to this relationship? Why can't she overcome her loneliness?
2) How does Loomis deal with being alone? How does Bynum deal with being alone?
3) Does a society of friends or companions fulfill loneliness in the play, or can only a love relationship fulfill loneliness? What role does spirituality play in fulfilling loneliness?
Essay Topic 2
Loomis's vision is an important element in the play. Discuss the meaning and significance of this vision.
1) What do the bones walking on water signify? Why do they sink? Why are they washed to shore?
2) Why is Loomis one of the sets of bones that washes to shore? Why can't he rise up and walk away like the other people?
3) What does the road signify in the vision? Why do the washed-up people walk down the road in different directions?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the story search for meaning in their lives. Discuss this search for meaning.
1) What meaning has Bynum found in life? Why does Bynum say that others need to find the meaning of life for themselves?
2) What makes life meaningful for Jeremy? Will he continue to find this meaning fulfilling?
3) What does Seth find meaningful in life? Is Seth satisfied with his life? Does he search for meaning?
4) What meaning is Loomis searching for in his life? What about the other characters, such as Mattie and Molly?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)