|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Loomis cut with his knife?
2. What does Mattie say, when Loomis asks her to come be with him?
(a) that he's married to Martha
(b) that she's had enough of men
(c) that she needs to wait for Jack
(d) that he'd use her up too fast
3. What does Bertha recommend to Loomis?
(a) another boardinghouse
(b) a school for Zonia
(c) a farm she knows is hiring
(d) a man who might be able to find his wife
4. How long was Loomis kept by Joe Turner?
(a) three years
(b) seven years
(c) thirteen years
(d) ten years
5. Where does Seth say he was born?
(a) in the North
(b) in the West
(c) in the East
(d) in the South
6. Who does Bertha say was doing the same as Loomis?
7. Where does Bynum say the song he starts singing comes from?
(a) New Orleans
8. What does Bynum say Joe Turner wanted from Loomis?
(a) his love
(b) his life
(c) his song
(d) his soul
9. What does Jeremy ask Molly to do?
(a) run away with him
(b) keep it a secret that he was fired
(c) get him a job
(d) give him some money
10. What was Loomis doing when Joe Turner caught him?
(a) preaching to gamblers
(b) buying bread
(c) sleeping under a tree
(d) fishing at a public pond
11. Who was Joe Turner's brother?
(a) governor of Tennessee
(b) U.S. senator for Tennessee
(c) mayor of Memphis
(d) police chief of Memphis
12. What odd shift does Seth work?
(a) every other day
(b) on the weekends
(c) at night
(d) two hours on, two hours off
13. What does Loomis say he's been watching Mattie do?
(a) use her hands
(b) watch him
(c) talk with Bertha
14. What does Seth say when Bertha asks why he is late?
(a) He says he was out looking for workers to make pots.
(b) He says he was at the church asking about Martha.
(c) He says he was checking up on Herald Loomis.
(d) He says he was on Logan Street talking with some men.
15. Why did Martha move up North?
(a) because she didn't want to see Herald
(b) because she was afraid of her mother
(c) because she was lonely in the South
(d) because her church moved
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reuben say the ghost was wearing?
2. What does Mattie give to Zonia?
3. What does Bertha describe as Jeremy's flaw?
4. When does Bertha say Mattie will find what she's looking for?
5. What suggestion does Molly give Jeremy about his job?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)