|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bynum say he bound?
(a) Bertha to Seth
(b) Loomis to his wife
(c) Jeremy to Molly
(d) Zonia to her mother
2. Why does Bynum tell Loomis that he's singing?
(a) to bring joy to others
(b) to entertain himself
(c) because he's driven to sing
(d) to deliver a message
3. Where does Bynum say the song he starts singing comes from?
(a) New Orleans
4. What does Molly say about whether she would have gone to Bynum's father?
(a) She says she wouldn't go unless a priest came with her.
(b) She says she'd never go to someone spooky like that.
(c) She says she might try it, but only if she had to.
(d) She says it would be the first place she'd go.
5. What does Bertha say Loomis needs?
(a) someone to feed him
(b) someone to keep him in line
(c) someone to make him laugh
(d) someone to watch over him
6. What does Seth threaten to kick Loomis out if he does?
(a) become noisy
(b) be impolite to Bertha
(c) cause a disturbance
(d) continue acting strangely
7. Who was Joe Turner's brother?
(a) police chief of Memphis
(b) mayor of Memphis
(c) U.S. senator for Tennessee
(d) governor of Tennessee
8. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, what does Seth want to do about Loomis?
(a) kick him out of the boardinghouse
(b) send him to a hospital
(c) get him a job out of town
(d) turn him over to the police
9. What does Loomis want to say to Martha?
(a) that he wants her back
(c) that he hates her
(d) that he still loves her
10. What are Seth and Bynum doing at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) playing dominoes
(b) playing checkers
(c) playing cards
(d) rolling dice
11. When does Bertha say Mattie will find what she's looking for?
(a) wher she learns to tell right from wrong
(b) when she takes Bertha's advice
(c) when it looks like she'll never find it
(d) when she starts looking for it
12. What does Loomis tell Zonia to do at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) stop bothering Bertha
(b) take a message to the church
(c) go out and play
(d) stay around the house
13. What does Mattie say, when Loomis asks her to come be with him?
(a) that she needs to wait for Jack
(b) that he'd use her up too fast
(c) that she's had enough of men
(d) that he's married to Martha
14. How long was Loomis kept by Joe Turner?
(a) ten years
(b) three years
(c) thirteen years
(d) seven years
15. Who does Loomis cut with his knife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Joe Turner come with?
2. What does Mattie give to Zonia?
3. What does Zonia suggest the ghost might have been?
4. What does Bynum say he used to do?
5. In what context does Bynum use the play's title?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)