|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Bynum tell Selig the meaning of life?
(a) He says Selig resists the knowledge.
(b) He says Selig isn't ready to understand.
(c) He says Selig has to figure it out.
(d) He says Selig doesn't really want to know.
2. Who is missing from the dinner table, at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
3. Who is Sally?
(a) Selig's daugher
(b) Selig's cat
(c) Selig's horse
(d) Selig's wife
4. What does Seth say Selig would have to do, if Seth got his business going?
(a) hire a helper
(b) open up a store
(c) expand his territory
(d) work for Seth
5. How much does Seth figure out Selig owes him for six pots, subtracting what Seth owes Selig?
(a) thirty-five cents
(b) four dollars and eighty cents
(c) ten dollars and seventy-five cents
(d) one dollar and twenty-two cents
6. What is Bynum's reaction when Seth suggests a Juba?
(a) He says they Juba too much.
(b) He says he needs some rest.
(c) He says he'll watch the others.
(d) He says he's always ready to Juba.
7. What does Bynum compare Jeremy to?
(a) a child running away from home
(b) an apple on a tree
(c) a ship on the sea
(d) an ant crawling across a table
8. What does Bertha suggest Seth do?
(a) send Loomis away from the boarding house
(b) get Martha a job in another town
(c) tell Loomis Martha is in another state
(d) tell Martha that Loomis is looking for her
9. Why does Seth say jokingly that he married Bertha?
(a) her dresses
(b) her sound advice
(c) her money
(d) her good cooking
10. What aspect of Mattie's looks does Jeremy comment on favorably?
(a) her hips
(b) her eyes
(c) her hair
(d) her legs
11. Where does Seth chase Reuben and Zonia away from?
(a) the kitchen
(b) the church
(c) the vegetable garden
(d) the front porch
12. How many dustpans does Seth have to sell Selig on his second visit?
13. Why does Loomis say he can't stand up?
(a) He says his legs won't stand.
(b) He says the Earth is grabbing him.
(c) He says he doesn't want to stand.
(d) He says his legs are missing.
14. What does Jeremy use instead of his guitar, as a makeshift instrument?
(a) He plays a washboard.
(b) He plays glasses.
(c) He drums on the table.
(d) He bangs on a pot.
15. Why does Selig say it's hard to find black people?
(a) They look different from day to day.
(b) They move around too often.
(c) They lie about their names.
(d) They get killed too often.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the last person Seth said "wasn't right" do?
2. How much time passes between the end of Act 1, Scene 1, and the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. In Bynum's metaphor, what is Mattie?
4. What does Selig ask Seth to make with the metal sheets he's brought?
5. What does Molly come to Seth's house looking for?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)