|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Selig's great grandfather do?
(a) married black lovers in his church
(b) tracked down criminals who ran away
(c) make clocks that kept perfect time
(d) bring blacks to America on ships
2. Where does Seth chase Reuben and Zonia away from?
(a) the kitchen
(b) the church
(c) the front porch
(d) the vegetable garden
3. Has Seth been successful finding funding for his business?
(a) No, several people have turned him down.
(b) No, the one businessman who could back him won't.
(c) Yes, he's found one backer, but he needs more.
(d) Yes, he's found all the funding he needs.
4. What type of business does Seth want to start?
(a) making pots and pans
(b) farming vegetables
(c) shoeing horses
(d) building houses
5. What does Bynum caution Jeremy that he's doing to Mattie, asking her to move in so soon?
(a) ignoring her
(b) spoiling her
(c) making a promise he can't keep
(d) demeaning her
6. Why does Selig say he can't find Bynum's "shiny man"?
(a) He can't find someone without a name.
(b) The shiny man lives too far away to find.
(c) He's looked everywhere and doesn't believe the shiny man exists.
(d) The shiny man is always traveling and can't be tracked down.
7. What is Selig's nickname?
(a) the People Finder
(b) the Pan Man
(c) the Binder of What Clings
(d) the Bargain Maker
8. What does Bertha suggest Seth do?
(a) tell Martha that Loomis is looking for her
(b) tell Loomis Martha is in another state
(c) send Loomis away from the boarding house
(d) get Martha a job in another town
9. How does Seth realize who Herald Loomis' wife is?
(a) He remembers the woman mentioning her husband's name.
(b) Loomis shows him a necklace that's the same as his wife's.
(c) She looks just like Loomis' daughter.
(d) Loomis shows him a picture.
10. Why does Seth say jokingly that he married Bertha?
(a) her sound advice
(b) her good cooking
(c) her dresses
(d) her money
11. Who is missing from the dinner table, at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
12. What does Reuben sell to Bynum?
(c) carving tools
13. What does Bertha tell Seth to get ready for?
14. What fine did Jeremy have to pay?
(a) thirty dollars
(b) no fine
(c) two dollars
(d) fifty cents
15. Why does Selig say it's hard to find black people?
(a) They lie about their names.
(b) They move around too often.
(c) They get killed too often.
(d) They look different from day to day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Seth figure out Selig owes him for six pots, subtracting what Seth owes Selig?
2. Who questions Loomis about his vision?
3. How much time has passed between the end of Act 1, Scene 2 and the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What is Seth having difficulty finding at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What does Mattie say about moving in to the boardinghouse?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)