|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Seth tell Molly is served on Sundays?
(a) barbequed ribs
(b) fried chicken
(c) roast beef
(d) fresh eggs
2. Why can't Bynum tell Selig the meaning of life?
(a) He says Selig isn't ready to understand.
(b) He says Selig doesn't really want to know.
(c) He says Selig has to figure it out.
(d) He says Selig resists the knowledge.
3. How many dustpans does Seth have to sell Selig on his second visit?
4. What chore does Bertha ask Seth to help her with?
(a) hauling out the trash
(b) cooking breakfast
(c) clearing the leaves
(d) turning a mattress
5. What spiritual entity is mentioned in the Juba, as noted in the play's stage direction?
(a) the Holy Ghost
(b) the God of Nature
(c) the Heavenly Father
6. Who leads the Juba, as the caller?
7. What does Bertha call Zonia?
(a) a lazy girl
(b) an ignorant child
(c) a good helper
(d) a happy innocent
8. What happens when Loomis has a vision?
(a) He runs away from the house.
(b) He collapses in terror.
(c) He bursts into flame.
(d) He begins shaking and can't stop.
9. What does Bynum caution Jeremy that he's doing to Mattie, asking her to move in so soon?
(a) making a promise he can't keep
(b) spoiling her
(c) demeaning her
(d) ignoring her
10. Who is Herald Loomis looking for?
(a) his cousin Glory
(b) his son Gerry
(c) his wife Martha
(d) his uncle Paul
11. What did Mattie's man say was on her?
(a) a dark cloud
(b) the devil's breath
(c) a curse prayer
(d) an aura of death
12. In Bynum's metaphor, what is Mattie?
(a) the road
(b) a plate of food
(c) the wind
(d) land in the distance
13. Who does Jeremy want Selig to find?
(a) his aunt he knew as a child
(b) a cousin from another state
(c) a brother he's lost track of
(d) a girl he used to know
14. What does Seth suggest Herald Loomis might do?
(a) rob the church
(b) steal bread and chickens
(c) burn down a farm
(d) rob a bank
15. Who offers help if Mattie or Molly need anything, now that they've moved into the rooming house?
Short Answer Questions
1. What two meals does Seth provide for his boarders?
2. What do lenders want from Seth?
3. When will Selig come again?
4. Where does Bynum say he gets his name?
5. How much time passes between the end of Act 1, Scene 1, and the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)