|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Seth having difficulty finding at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) something to look forward to
(b) money to start up a business
(c) time to make his pots
(d) Martha Pentecost
2. What does Loomis start to do to demonstrate how big he is?
(a) stand on his toes
(b) jump up on the table
(c) hold out his arms
(d) unzip his pants
3. What does Mattie offer to help with?
(a) cleaning the house
(b) making pots
(d) peeling potatoes
4. What two meals does Seth provide for his boarders?
(a) breakfast and dinner
(b) breakfast and lunch
(c) lunch and dinner
(d) breakfast and tea
5. Who left the rooming house, still owing Seth two dollars?
6. What happens when Loomis has a vision?
(a) He begins shaking and can't stop.
(b) He collapses in terror.
(c) He runs away from the house.
(d) He bursts into flame.
7. What do Jeremy and Molly compliment Bertha on?
(a) her cleaning
(b) her jokes
(c) her cooking
(d) her coffee
8. What does Seth tell Molly is served on Sundays?
(a) barbequed ribs
(b) roast beef
(c) fried chicken
(d) fresh eggs
9. What chore does Bertha ask Seth to help her with?
(a) clearing the leaves
(b) cooking breakfast
(c) turning a mattress
(d) hauling out the trash
10. What is the first question Seth asks Molly?
(a) who told her about his house
(b) where she comes from
(c) whether she has any money
(d) how long she's staying
11. What spiritual entity is mentioned in the Juba, as noted in the play's stage direction?
(a) the Holy Ghost
(b) the God of Nature
(c) the Heavenly Father
12. How long does Seth say Bynum has been at the rooming house?
(a) two months
(b) ten years
(c) three years
(d) a year
13. What does Reuben say happened to his best friend?
(a) He fell for a girl.
(b) He got stuck up.
(c) He moved away.
(d) He died.
14. What does Herald Loomis say his profession is?
15. Why is it odd that Loomis is wearing his coat?
(a) The weather is hot.
(b) The rain will stain it.
(c) The coat is dirty.
(d) He said he was pawning the coat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads the Juba, as the caller?
2. Where was Molly planning on going, if she hadn't missed the train?
3. Who is Sally?
4. In what strange way does Loomis start to speak?
5. How many dustpans does Seth have to sell Selig on his second visit?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)