|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it odd that Loomis is wearing his coat?
(a) The rain will stain it.
(b) He said he was pawning the coat.
(c) The weather is hot.
(d) The coat is dirty.
2. What is Bertha doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) fixing breakfast
(b) washing dishes
(c) staring out the window
(d) sweeping the floor
3. What does Herald Loomis say his profession is?
4. Who does Bertha suggest Martha first came to the town to see?
5. What did Mattie's man say was on her?
(a) the devil's breath
(b) a curse prayer
(c) a dark cloud
(d) an aura of death
6. Has Seth been successful finding funding for his business?
(a) No, the one businessman who could back him won't.
(b) Yes, he's found all the funding he needs.
(c) Yes, he's found one backer, but he needs more.
(d) No, several people have turned him down.
7. Why does Selig say it's hard to find black people?
(a) They get killed too often.
(b) They look different from day to day.
(c) They lie about their names.
(d) They move around too often.
8. Who left the rooming house, still owing Seth two dollars?
9. What two meals does Seth provide for his boarders?
(a) breakfast and lunch
(b) lunch and dinner
(c) breakfast and dinner
(d) breakfast and tea
10. Who is Herald Loomis looking for?
(a) his wife Martha
(b) his son Gerry
(c) his cousin Glory
(d) his uncle Paul
11. What did Selig's great grandfather do?
(a) make clocks that kept perfect time
(b) married black lovers in his church
(c) bring blacks to America on ships
(d) tracked down criminals who ran away
12. What does Seth say Selig would have to do, if Seth got his business going?
(a) expand his territory
(b) open up a store
(c) work for Seth
(d) hire a helper
13. What fine did Jeremy have to pay?
(a) fifty cents
(b) two dollars
(c) no fine
(d) thirty dollars
14. What is Selig's nickname?
(a) the Binder of What Clings
(b) the People Finder
(c) the Pan Man
(d) the Bargain Maker
15. What does Loomis start to do to demonstrate how big he is?
(a) jump up on the table
(b) hold out his arms
(c) stand on his toes
(d) unzip his pants
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Seth and Bertha say about Loomis after he interrupts the Juba?
2. How many more dustpans does Selig want?
3. What does Bertha call Zonia?
4. How much does Seth figure out Selig owes him for six pots, subtracting what Seth owes Selig?
5. What does Reuben sell to Bynum?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)