|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bynum compare a woman to, that's "all a man needs to live on"?
(a) meat and milk
(b) biscuits and gravy
(c) bread and wine
(d) water and berries
2. What type of business does Seth want to start?
(a) shoeing horses
(b) farming vegetables
(c) building houses
(d) making pots and pans
3. What do Jeremy and Molly compliment Bertha on?
(a) her jokes
(b) her cleaning
(c) her cooking
(d) her coffee
4. What does Bertha want Seth to make her?
(a) a coffee pot
(b) a frying pan
(c) a metal platter
(d) a baking sheet
5. What aspect of Mattie's looks does Jeremy comment on favorably?
(a) her hips
(b) her hair
(c) her legs
(d) her eyes
6. What happens when Loomis has a vision?
(a) He runs away from the house.
(b) He collapses in terror.
(c) He bursts into flame.
(d) He begins shaking and can't stop.
7. Who is missing from the dinner table, at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
8. What does Bynum say a woman can do?
(a) make you unable to see the truth
(b) make you a child again
(c) leave you in tears
(d) make something out of you
9. In Bynum's metaphor, what is Mattie?
(a) a plate of food
(b) land in the distance
(c) the road
(d) the wind
10. Why can't Bynum tell Selig the meaning of life?
(a) He says Selig has to figure it out.
(b) He says Selig isn't ready to understand.
(c) He says Selig doesn't really want to know.
(d) He says Selig resists the knowledge.
11. How much time has passed between the end of Act 1, Scene 2 and the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) one day
(b) one month
(c) one week
(d) one year
12. When will Selig come again?
(a) in a month
(b) when the season changes
(c) the next day
(d) the next Saturday
13. What did Selig's great grandfather do?
(a) make clocks that kept perfect time
(b) tracked down criminals who ran away
(c) bring blacks to America on ships
(d) married black lovers in his church
14. Where does Bynum say everyone in the vision is going?
(a) down into the cellar of the world
(b) into the ocean again
(c) along the road, their own ways
(d) up into the sky
15. What two meals does Seth provide for his boarders?
(a) breakfast and dinner
(b) lunch and dinner
(c) breakfast and lunch
(d) breakfast and tea
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Seth having difficulty finding at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
2. How does Bynum say that Seth looks?
3. How does Seth realize who Herald Loomis' wife is?
4. Who is Herald Loomis looking for?
5. What does Loomis start to do to demonstrate how big he is?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)