|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bertha say about Loomis hiring Selig?
(a) He'll never hear from Selig again.
(b) He's wasted a dollar.
(c) He's got nothing to worry about now.
(d) He's made a good deal.
2. What does Bertha suggest Seth do?
(a) get Martha a job in another town
(b) tell Loomis Martha is in another state
(c) tell Martha that Loomis is looking for her
(d) send Loomis away from the boarding house
3. Why does Seth say jokingly that he married Bertha?
(a) her good cooking
(b) her dresses
(c) her money
(d) her sound advice
4. Who questions Loomis about his vision?
5. What instrument does Seth play?
(a) a harmonica
(b) a guitar
(c) a horn
6. What does Mattie offer to help with?
(a) peeling potatoes
(c) making pots
(d) cleaning the house
7. What does Bynum say a woman can do?
(a) make something out of you
(b) make you unable to see the truth
(c) leave you in tears
(d) make you a child again
8. What does Selig ask Seth to make with the metal sheets he's brought?
(a) tin cups
(d) cooking pots
9. Why is it odd that Loomis is wearing his coat?
(a) The coat is dirty.
(b) He said he was pawning the coat.
(c) The rain will stain it.
(d) The weather is hot.
10. Where does Bynum say he gets his name?
(a) because he is from Bynum
(b) because he buys nothing
(c) because he does magic by numbers
(d) because he binds people
11. How many dustpans does Seth have to sell Selig on his second visit?
12. Where does Molly go after paying Seth for a week's board and lodging?
(a) to the church
(b) to her room
(c) to the outhouse
(d) out to the twon
13. In what strange way does Loomis start to speak?
(b) in tongues
(c) in Swahili
(d) in French
14. What did the last person Seth said "wasn't right" do?
(a) ran away with a circus
(b) jumped off a bridge
(c) got arrested for stealing
(d) kidnapped a child
15. What spiritual entity is mentioned in the Juba, as noted in the play's stage direction?
(a) the Holy Ghost
(b) the God of Nature
(c) the Heavenly Father
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of Mattie's looks does Jeremy comment on favorably?
2. How much time passes between the end of Act 1, Scene 1, and the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. How long does Seth say Bynum has been at the rooming house?
4. Who is missing from the dinner table, at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
5. What is Selig's nickname?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)