|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jeremy say Mattie treats him?
(a) like she's afraid he's going to leave
(b) like a child
(c) real bad and real good
(d) like he wants to be treated
2. Why does Zonia say she and her father have to find her mother?
(a) They need to give her mother an inheritance.
(b) Her mother ran away and left them.
(c) Her mother is in trouble with the law.
(d) They need to bring her mother news.
3. What does Reuben sell to Bynum?
(a) carving tools
4. Why did Martha leave the rooming house?
(a) They moved the church.
(b) She went to be with her mother.
(c) She found cheaper lodgings.
(d) She married a man.
5. What do Seth and Bertha say about Loomis after he interrupts the Juba?
(a) that he has to leave
(b) that he should go to his room
(c) that he's irresponsible
(d) that he's crazy
6. What did Mattie's man say was on her?
(a) the devil's breath
(b) a curse prayer
(c) an aura of death
(d) a dark cloud
7. When will Selig come again?
(a) in a month
(b) when the season changes
(c) the next Saturday
(d) the next day
8. How much time passes between the end of Act 1, Scene 1, and the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) one week
(b) a year
(c) one day
(d) three months
9. What does Seth tell Molly is served on Sundays?
(a) fried chicken
(b) roast beef
(c) fresh eggs
(d) barbequed ribs
10. What does Seth say Selig would have to do, if Seth got his business going?
(a) hire a helper
(b) work for Seth
(c) expand his territory
(d) open up a store
11. What does Bertha say about Loomis hiring Selig?
(a) He's got nothing to worry about now.
(b) He's made a good deal.
(c) He'll never hear from Selig again.
(d) He's wasted a dollar.
12. What do lenders want from Seth?
(a) They want him to sign over his house.
(b) They want him to guarantee returns in writing.
(c) They want him to sign over 50% of the business.
(d) They want him to pay 10% interest.
13. What is Bynum's reaction when Seth suggests a Juba?
(a) He says they Juba too much.
(b) He says he'll watch the others.
(c) He says he's always ready to Juba.
(d) He says he needs some rest.
14. What does Bynum caution Jeremy that he's doing to Mattie, asking her to move in so soon?
(a) making a promise he can't keep
(b) demeaning her
(c) spoiling her
(d) ignoring her
15. Where does Herald Loomis hang around?
(a) in the town square
(b) at the local store
(c) outside the church
(d) on the front porch
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bynum compare Jeremy to?
2. Who does Bertha say she gets along with?
3. Where was Molly planning on going, if she hadn't missed the train?
4. How much time has passed between the end of Act 1, Scene 2 and the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. Who does Bertha suggest Martha first came to the town to see?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)