|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Seth say about Martha's last name?
(a) It's Pentecost, not Loomis.
(b) She probably changed her name.
(c) She always wanted a different name.
(d) She probably lied about her name.
2. What floor does Seth say he's got a room available on?
(a) the second floor
(b) the basement
(c) the third floor
(d) the first floor
3. What does Seth tell Molly is served on Sundays?
(a) roast beef
(b) barbequed ribs
(c) fresh eggs
(d) fried chicken
4. What type of business does Seth want to start?
(a) shoeing horses
(b) farming vegetables
(c) building houses
(d) making pots and pans
5. What is Bertha doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) staring out the window
(b) fixing breakfast
(c) washing dishes
(d) sweeping the floor
6. Who leads the Juba, as the caller?
7. Why does Loomis say he can't stand up?
(a) He says he doesn't want to stand.
(b) He says his legs won't stand.
(c) He says his legs are missing.
(d) He says the Earth is grabbing him.
8. How long does Seth say Bynum has been at the rooming house?
(a) a year
(b) three years
(c) two months
(d) ten years
9. Why can't Bynum tell Selig the meaning of life?
(a) He says Selig has to figure it out.
(b) He says Selig doesn't really want to know.
(c) He says Selig isn't ready to understand.
(d) He says Selig resists the knowledge.
10. Why doesn't Seth want to tell Loomis where Martha is?
(a) He's afraid Loomis wants to harm her.
(b) He doesn't know for sure which Martha he's looking for.
(c) He wants to keep Martha away from her daughter.
(d) He wants Loomis to give him money first.
11. What instrument does Seth play?
(a) a guitar
(b) a harmonica
(d) a horn
12. Who is Herald Loomis looking for?
(a) his uncle Paul
(b) his wife Martha
(c) his son Gerry
(d) his cousin Glory
13. How much time passes between the end of Act 1, Scene 1, and the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) a year
(b) three months
(c) one week
(d) one day
14. What does Reuben sell to Bynum?
(d) carving tools
15. What does Seth say was Martha's job, when Bynum first came to the rooming house?
(a) cooking for Doc Goldblum
(b) running the pharmacy for Doc Goldblum
(c) sewing and cleaning for Doc Goldblum
(d) taking care of Doc Goldblum's children
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jeremy and Molly compliment Bertha on?
2. What does Herald Loomis say his profession is?
3. What did Mattie's man say was on her?
4. What does Bynum say a woman can do?
5. Who does Mattie end up making a date with?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)