|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What spiritual entity is mentioned in the Juba, as noted in the play's stage direction?
(a) the Heavenly Father
(c) the God of Nature
(d) the Holy Ghost
2. Where does Bynum say everyone in the vision is going?
(a) along the road, their own ways
(b) up into the sky
(c) into the ocean again
(d) down into the cellar of the world
3. Has Seth been successful finding funding for his business?
(a) Yes, he's found one backer, but he needs more.
(b) Yes, he's found all the funding he needs.
(c) No, the one businessman who could back him won't.
(d) No, several people have turned him down.
4. What does Seth say was Martha's job, when Bynum first came to the rooming house?
(a) sewing and cleaning for Doc Goldblum
(b) cooking for Doc Goldblum
(c) taking care of Doc Goldblum's children
(d) running the pharmacy for Doc Goldblum
5. Why doesn't Seth want to tell Loomis where Martha is?
(a) He wants Loomis to give him money first.
(b) He's afraid Loomis wants to harm her.
(c) He doesn't know for sure which Martha he's looking for.
(d) He wants to keep Martha away from her daughter.
6. Why can't Bynum tell Selig the meaning of life?
(a) He says Selig isn't ready to understand.
(b) He says Selig resists the knowledge.
(c) He says Selig has to figure it out.
(d) He says Selig doesn't really want to know.
7. What does Mattie offer to help with?
(a) making pots
(c) peeling potatoes
(d) cleaning the house
8. Who does Bertha suggest Martha first came to the town to see?
9. What does Bertha call Zonia?
(a) a good helper
(b) a lazy girl
(c) a happy innocent
(d) an ignorant child
10. How many more dustpans does Selig want?
(d) as many as Seth can make
11. Why does Zonia say she and her father have to find her mother?
(a) Her mother is in trouble with the law.
(b) Her mother ran away and left them.
(c) They need to bring her mother news.
(d) They need to give her mother an inheritance.
12. What does Reuben say happened to his best friend?
(a) He died.
(b) He moved away.
(c) He got stuck up.
(d) He fell for a girl.
13. Who does Mattie end up making a date with?
14. What did Selig's great grandfather do?
(a) bring blacks to America on ships
(b) married black lovers in his church
(c) make clocks that kept perfect time
(d) tracked down criminals who ran away
15. Why did Martha leave the rooming house?
(a) They moved the church.
(b) She married a man.
(c) She found cheaper lodgings.
(d) She went to be with her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bynum caution Jeremy that he's doing to Mattie, asking her to move in so soon?
2. What does Molly come to Seth's house looking for?
3. What is Bynum's reaction when Seth suggests a Juba?
4. In what strange way does Loomis start to speak?
5. What does Bynum say a woman can do?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)