|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Bertha doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) cooking breakfast
(b) sewing a dress
(c) sweeping the floor
2. Who does Jeremy want Selig to find?
(a) his aunt he knew as a child
(b) a cousin from another state
(c) a girl he used to know
(d) a brother he's lost track of
3. Who is Sally?
(a) Selig's wife
(b) Selig's daugher
(c) Selig's horse
(d) Selig's cat
4. Who leads the Juba, as the caller?
5. What does Seth think of Bynum's story of a shiny man?
(a) He thinks it's a story Bynum heard elsewhere.
(b) He thinks it's important to find out if it's true.
(c) He thinks it's nonsense.
(d) He thinks it's a hallucination.
6. Where does Herald Loomis hang around?
(a) outside the church
(b) at the local store
(c) on the front porch
(d) in the town square
7. What did Mattie's man say was on her?
(a) a dark cloud
(b) a curse prayer
(c) an aura of death
(d) the devil's breath
8. Why is it odd that Loomis is wearing his coat?
(a) The weather is hot.
(b) The coat is dirty.
(c) The rain will stain it.
(d) He said he was pawning the coat.
9. Why did Martha leave the rooming house?
(a) She married a man.
(b) She found cheaper lodgings.
(c) She went to be with her mother.
(d) They moved the church.
10. What did Selig's great grandfather do?
(a) tracked down criminals who ran away
(b) married black lovers in his church
(c) make clocks that kept perfect time
(d) bring blacks to America on ships
11. What does Bynum say a woman can do?
(a) make you a child again
(b) make something out of you
(c) leave you in tears
(d) make you unable to see the truth
12. What chore does Bertha ask Seth to help her with?
(a) hauling out the trash
(b) cooking breakfast
(c) clearing the leaves
(d) turning a mattress
13. What do Jeremy and Molly compliment Bertha on?
(a) her cleaning
(b) her jokes
(c) her coffee
(d) her cooking
14. Where was Molly planning on going, if she hadn't missed the train?
(b) New York
15. Where does Bynum say he gets his name?
(a) because he does magic by numbers
(b) because he is from Bynum
(c) because he binds people
(d) because he buys nothing
Short Answer Questions
1. What two meals does Seth provide for his boarders?
2. What is Seth having difficulty finding at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Where does Molly go after paying Seth for a week's board and lodging?
4. Who offers help if Mattie or Molly need anything, now that they've moved into the rooming house?
5. Where does Bynum say everyone in the vision is going?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)