|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Seth figure out Selig owes him for six pots, subtracting what Seth owes Selig?
(a) four dollars and eighty cents
(b) ten dollars and seventy-five cents
(c) one dollar and twenty-two cents
(d) thirty-five cents
2. Who is Sally?
(a) Selig's daugher
(b) Selig's horse
(c) Selig's cat
(d) Selig's wife
3. How does Bynum say that Seth looks?
4. Why does Jeremy tell Mattie she should move in with him?
(a) because he wants to be with her forever
(b) to have a good time
(c) so neither has to be alone
(d) so they can save money on lodging
5. Why does Selig say he can't find Bynum's "shiny man"?
(a) He can't find someone without a name.
(b) The shiny man is always traveling and can't be tracked down.
(c) The shiny man lives too far away to find.
(d) He's looked everywhere and doesn't believe the shiny man exists.
6. How many more dustpans does Selig want?
(c) as many as Seth can make
7. What does Seth tell Bertha to set aside, to come Juba instead?
(a) the mending
(b) the laundry
(c) the dishes
(d) the baking
8. What do lenders want from Seth?
(a) They want him to sign over his house.
(b) They want him to guarantee returns in writing.
(c) They want him to pay 10% interest.
(d) They want him to sign over 50% of the business.
9. Why does Seth say jokingly that he married Bertha?
(a) her money
(b) her sound advice
(c) her good cooking
(d) her dresses
10. What does Seth say about Martha's last name?
(a) It's Pentecost, not Loomis.
(b) She always wanted a different name.
(c) She probably lied about her name.
(d) She probably changed her name.
11. What does Bertha suggest Seth do?
(a) tell Loomis Martha is in another state
(b) tell Martha that Loomis is looking for her
(c) get Martha a job in another town
(d) send Loomis away from the boarding house
12. What two meals does Seth provide for his boarders?
(a) lunch and dinner
(b) breakfast and dinner
(c) breakfast and tea
(d) breakfast and lunch
13. What did Selig's great grandfather do?
(a) bring blacks to America on ships
(b) tracked down criminals who ran away
(c) make clocks that kept perfect time
(d) married black lovers in his church
14. Why does Zonia say she and her father have to find her mother?
(a) Her mother ran away and left them.
(b) Her mother is in trouble with the law.
(c) They need to give her mother an inheritance.
(d) They need to bring her mother news.
15. What is the first question Seth asks Molly?
(a) whether she has any money
(b) who told her about his house
(c) how long she's staying
(d) where she comes from
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bertha suggest Martha first came to the town to see?
2. What spiritual entity is mentioned in the Juba, as noted in the play's stage direction?
3. What is Bertha doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does Mattie offer to help with?
5. What did Mattie's man say was on her?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)