Act 1, Scene 1
• Bynum, who is a boarder in Seth and Bertha's boardinghouse and a conjure man, has asked traveling salesman and People Finder Selig Rutherford to find a spiritual "shiny man" who gave Bynum a vision where he learned his mystical song of people-binding.
• Seth buys metal from Selig every week and sells him pots, pans, and other metalwork, and he's looking for funding to make metalwork his full-time business by hiring and training five other men.
• Jeremy, one of Seth's boarders, was arrested the previous night for drunkenness--though he hadn't had a drink yet--by police who wanted to collect a two dollar fine on the black worker's payday.
• Herald Loomis and his daughter Zonia come and rent a room at the boardinghouse in Herald's search for his wife, Martha, who Seth believes is Martha Pentecost, though he doesn't tell Loomis.
• Mattie Campbell comes to see Bynum to...
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)