|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Jack was not particularly thrilled when Barrie required the couple to wait for a year, he knew that it was something that had to be done. Why?
2. Why could Sylvia not have an operation?
3. Since Mary and Gilbert Cannan's marriage in 1910, there had been rumors that Cannan had seduced who and got her pregnant?
4. One of the last letters Barrie received from George was one telling his surrogate father to do what?
5. By whom was this organization founded in part?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Barrie surprise the Davies after the summer of 1908?
2. What benefits exist in the relationship between Mary and Cannan?
3. How did Michael and Nico feel about school?
4. What does Barrie continue to do after George and Frohman's deaths?
5. What was one of the few things Mary Hodgson and Barrie had in common?
6. How is Barrie now able to spend time developing a play? What is the title of this play?
7. How does Chapter 14 begin?
8. How were the Davies affected by Arthur's death?
9. What happened to Sylvia?
10. What happened when James learned of his wife's relationship with Gilbert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrie was rewarded for his work.
Part 1) How was he rewarded? Why was he rewarded? How might he have felt about being rewarded? Why?
Part 2) What is ironic about his recognition from Edinburgh University? How might he have felt about this recognition? What does all of this recognition reinforce about Barrie and his work?
Part 3) How have you been recognized in your own life? How did this recognition affect you? How important is it to be recognized for one's work? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Barrie was inspired by children.
Part 1) Describe Barrie's interest in children. Why does he like children so much? How does his past influence this?
Part 2) How are these children important to his life and work? How is Barrie also important to these children? How does his relationship with children affect his relationships with adults?
Part 3) What are your feelings about children? Why? Who inspires you? Why? How do these people compare to Barrie's inspirations?
Essay Topic 3
Barrie loved hard work.
Part 1) How does his life reflect this love? Why does he love hard work? How did he benefit from hard work? How was it also detrimental?
Part 2) Do you love hard work? Why or why not? How do your thoughts about work compare to those of James?
Part 3) How is hard work important to American culture? Why is it important? How does it affect us as Americans?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)