|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Sylvia on August 27, 1910?
2. It wasn't long before the family received what news about George?
3. Arthur was how old when this happened?
4. Since Mary and Gilbert Cannan's marriage in 1910, there had been rumors that Cannan had seduced who and got her pregnant?
5. Where would the Barries soon end up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Barrie surprise the Davies after the summer of 1908?
2. Why did Barrie not realize what was going on between Mary and Gilbert?
3. What does Barrie continue to do after George and Frohman's deaths?
4. What happened when James learned of his wife's relationship with Gilbert?
5. How did Arthur's recuperation in a nursing home affect Barrie?
6. What does Barrie learn about Mary and Gilbert's marriage?
7. What takes place between Mary and Gilbert Cannan?
8. What did Barrie think of Mary and Cannan at this time?
9. How does Chapter 13 begin?
10. What benefits exist in the relationship between Mary and Cannan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Davies boys grow up.
Part 1) Describe the changes that take place in the lives of the Davies boys. How do these changes affect Barrie? Why do they affect him in this way?
Part 2) Does Barrie handle these changes well? Why or why not? How do you know he treated the boys as a father might treat his sons? How do they show him they care for him like a father?
Part 3) What troubles have you caused your own parents? Why? How do you also show them you appreciate what they do for you?
Essay Topic 2
James Barrie was born in Scotland.
Part 1) Describe his family life in Scotland. How did his family and upbringing influence him throughout his life?
Part 2) What is one event from Barrie's childhood that is significant throughout the rest of his life? Why? How different might he have been if this had not occurred?
Part 3) What event is most significant in your own life? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Barrie's brother, David, died at the age of fourteen.
Part 1) Describe David. How did the rest of the family feel about David? Why did they feel this way? How did he die? How is his death significant?
Part 2) How does the family, especially Margaret, cope with this loss? How does this affect James and the other children? How important is this throughout the rest of James' life?
Part 3) What does this say about the control one has over one's life? How important are the uncontrolled events that take place in one's life? Explain.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)