|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barrie continued his work at the hospital known as "________ in Beds."
2. Should it have come as a surprise when it was discovered that Mary was having an affair?
3. How did Mary Hodgson often referred to herself?
4. What had Sylvia refused?
5. In 1916, Mary Hodgson offered her resignation. How did Barrie react?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Arthur die?
2. How does Chapter 13 begin?
3. How did Arthur's recuperation in a nursing home affect Barrie?
4. How is Barrie now able to spend time developing a play? What is the title of this play?
5. What does Barrie learn about Mary and Gilbert's marriage?
6. What takes place between Mary and Gilbert Cannan?
7. What happened to Sylvia?
8. What was one of the few things Mary Hodgson and Barrie had in common?
9. What does Barrie think about Jack's engagement to Geraldine Gibb?
10. Why did Barrie not realize what was going on between Mary and Gilbert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrie was rewarded for his work.
Part 1) How was he rewarded? Why was he rewarded? How might he have felt about being rewarded? Why?
Part 2) What is ironic about his recognition from Edinburgh University? How might he have felt about this recognition? What does all of this recognition reinforce about Barrie and his work?
Part 3) How have you been recognized in your own life? How did this recognition affect you? How important is it to be recognized for one's work? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Barrie had a few close friends.
Part 1) Who are four of his closest friends? Describe each of these friends. What do these people have in common with Barrie?
Part 2) How do these friends influence Barrie? How important are Barrie's friends to his life and work? Why?
Part 3) How important are your own friends and acquaintances in your own life? Why? How does this compare to Barrie?
Essay Topic 3
Barrie was inspired by children.
Part 1) Describe Barrie's interest in children. Why does he like children so much? How does his past influence this?
Part 2) How are these children important to his life and work? How is Barrie also important to these children? How does his relationship with children affect his relationships with adults?
Part 3) What are your feelings about children? Why? Who inspires you? Why? How do these people compare to Barrie's inspirations?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)