|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are George and Peter called to do?
2. How did Mary Hodgson often referred to herself?
3. Where was this surprise located?
4. Barrie had been unable to spend much time with Sylvia and the boys in the summer of 1908 but surprised them with what?
5. Charles Frohman was expected to arrive in London in May, but Barrie convinced him to sail earlier. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe George's last letter to Barrie. What then happens to George?
2. How did Barrie surprise the Davies after the summer of 1908?
3. What benefits exist in the relationship between Mary and Cannan?
4. What takes place between Mary and Gilbert Cannan?
5. Was the 25 miles Arthur put between Barrie and Egerton House enough? Why or why not?
6. What did Barrie think of Mary and Cannan at this time?
7. How does Chapter 13 begin?
8. How did Arthur's recuperation in a nursing home affect Barrie?
9. Why does Charles Frohman plan to leave earlier for London?
10. What happened to Sylvia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrie's brother, David, died at the age of fourteen.
Part 1) Describe David. How did the rest of the family feel about David? Why did they feel this way? How did he die? How is his death significant?
Part 2) How does the family, especially Margaret, cope with this loss? How does this affect James and the other children? How important is this throughout the rest of James' life?
Part 3) What does this say about the control one has over one's life? How important are the uncontrolled events that take place in one's life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Barrie loved hard work.
Part 1) How does his life reflect this love? Why does he love hard work? How did he benefit from hard work? How was it also detrimental?
Part 2) Do you love hard work? Why or why not? How do your thoughts about work compare to those of James?
Part 3) How is hard work important to American culture? Why is it important? How does it affect us as Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Barrie grieves over the deaths of many friends and family members throughout his life.
Part 1) How do these deaths affect Barrie? What deaths are the most significant? Why? How do they influence Barrie's thoughts and actions?
Part 2) How are the ideas of growing old and dying significant in Barrie's work? Why are these aspects of life so important?
Part 3) What are your thoughts about growing old and dying? Is death so important in our culture today? Why or why not?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)