|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1916, Mary Hodgson offered her resignation. How did Barrie react?
2. Why could Sylvia not have an operation?
3. It was in 1906 that Arthur was diagnosed with a sarcoma where?
4. Barrie continues to take Nico and Michael to _________________ for their annual fishing holiday.
5. Jack had not consulted with Barrie before the proposal and expected that his guardian would ______________ the newly engaged.
Short Essay Questions
1. Was the 25 miles Arthur put between Barrie and Egerton House enough? Why or why not?
2. How is Barrie now able to spend time developing a play? What is the title of this play?
3. How does Chapter 14 begin?
4. Why did Barrie not realize what was going on between Mary and Gilbert?
5. How did Michael and Nico feel about school?
6. What does Barrie learn about Mary and Gilbert's marriage?
7. What happened to Sylvia?
8. Why does Charles Frohman plan to leave earlier for London?
9. What does Barrie think about Jack's engagement to Geraldine Gibb?
10. How did Barrie surprise the Davies after the summer of 1908?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James meets Sylvia Davies at a New Year's Eve dinner party.
Part 1) Describe this meeting. How is it significant? Why is the relationship between Barrie and the Davies family so important? How is it different from his other relationships? Why?
Part 2) What role do the Davies play in Barrie's attraction to them? How does his attraction affect them?
Part 3) To whom are you attracted? Why? What relationships are the most important to your life? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Barrie grows close to the Davies children.
Part 1) Describe their relationship. How does he grow close to them? Why does he grow close to them? Do they grow close to him as well? Why or why not? How are these children different than other children he has met?
Part 2) How and why does Barrie grow close to their mother, Sylvia, as well? How does this closeness to the mother and children affect Arthur, the father? Why is he affected in this way?
Part 3) How different would James' life have been if he had never met the Davies? What people in your own life have had a significant impact on you? Why? How?
Essay Topic 3
Barrie loved theater and literature.
Part 1) Describe his first theater and literature experiences. How did his family encourage these interests? Why did this interest continue throughout his life?
Part 2) How was his personality suited for these interests? How did these interests influence his entire life?
Part 3) What interests do you have? How have you come to have these interests? How do they influence your life?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)