|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barrie had been unable to spend much time with Sylvia and the boys in the summer of 1908 but surprised them with what?
2. Mary's lover was appointed to ______________.
3. Who did Barrie support?
4. Are the boys happy with the guardianship arrangement?
5. By whom was this organization founded in part?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was the 25 miles Arthur put between Barrie and Egerton House enough? Why or why not?
2. How does Chapter 14 begin?
3. Why did Barrie not realize what was going on between Mary and Gilbert?
4. Why does Charles Frohman plan to leave earlier for London?
5. Describe the Davies' new home.
6. What was one of the few things Mary Hodgson and Barrie had in common?
7. What does Barrie continue to do after George and Frohman's deaths?
8. What happened when James learned of his wife's relationship with Gilbert?
9. How does Chapter 13 begin?
10. How did Frohman's agreement to change his travel plans prove to be fatal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrie was rewarded for his work.
Part 1) How was he rewarded? Why was he rewarded? How might he have felt about being rewarded? Why?
Part 2) What is ironic about his recognition from Edinburgh University? How might he have felt about this recognition? What does all of this recognition reinforce about Barrie and his work?
Part 3) How have you been recognized in your own life? How did this recognition affect you? How important is it to be recognized for one's work? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mary has an affair with Gilbert Cannan.
Part 1) Describe this affair. Why does it take place? Could this have been predicted? Why or why not? Why does it take Barrie so long to realize it? What does this reveal about him and Mary?
Part 2) Does this affair affect your opinion of Mary or Barrie? Why or why not? Are you surprised when her relationship with Cannan ends? Why or why not?
Part 3) How difficult is marriage today? Why? Does it seem that marriage has grown more difficult over time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Barrie grows close to the Davies children.
Part 1) Describe their relationship. How does he grow close to them? Why does he grow close to them? Do they grow close to him as well? Why or why not? How are these children different than other children he has met?
Part 2) How and why does Barrie grow close to their mother, Sylvia, as well? How does this closeness to the mother and children affect Arthur, the father? Why is he affected in this way?
Part 3) How different would James' life have been if he had never met the Davies? What people in your own life have had a significant impact on you? Why? How?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)