|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was shocking to Barrie and Mary Hodgson to discover that Peter was having an affair with whom?
2. Eventually did Barrie did support the family?
3. News arrived that what had happened to Michael?
4. How did Michael feel about school?
5. Since Mary and Gilbert Cannan's marriage in 1910, there had been rumors that Cannan had seduced who and got her pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Michael and Nico feel about school?
2. What does Barrie continue to do after George and Frohman's deaths?
3. Why did Barrie not realize what was going on between Mary and Gilbert?
4. Why does Charles Frohman plan to leave earlier for London?
5. How is Barrie now able to spend time developing a play? What is the title of this play?
6. How were the Davies affected by Arthur's death?
7. How does Chapter 13 begin?
8. How does Arthur become ill?
9. How did Arthur die?
10. How did Frohman's agreement to change his travel plans prove to be fatal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrie loved theater and literature.
Part 1) Describe his first theater and literature experiences. How did his family encourage these interests? Why did this interest continue throughout his life?
Part 2) How was his personality suited for these interests? How did these interests influence his entire life?
Part 3) What interests do you have? How have you come to have these interests? How do they influence your life?
Essay Topic 2
Mary has an affair with Gilbert Cannan.
Part 1) Describe this affair. Why does it take place? Could this have been predicted? Why or why not? Why does it take Barrie so long to realize it? What does this reveal about him and Mary?
Part 2) Does this affair affect your opinion of Mary or Barrie? Why or why not? Are you surprised when her relationship with Cannan ends? Why or why not?
Part 3) How difficult is marriage today? Why? Does it seem that marriage has grown more difficult over time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
James' years at Dumfries Academy were some of the happiest in his life.
Part 1) Describe these years. Why were they the happiest in his life? Describe his personality at this time. How does this reflect his enjoyment at school?
Part 2) What role did this school play in his development as a writer? How did his experiences at Edinburgh University compare to these early school years? How were his college years also important?
Part 3) Describe your own school experiences. How do they impact your life? How do they compare to James' school experiences?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)