|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barrie had been unable to spend much time with Sylvia and the boys in the summer of 1908 but surprised them with what?
2. Charles Frohman was expected to arrive in London in May, but Barrie convinced him to sail earlier. Why?
3. Barrie continued his work at the hospital known as "________ in Beds."
4. When Jack was transferred to Portsmouth, Gerrie stayed at Adelphi Terrace with Barrie. How did Gerrie and Barrie feel about this?
5. Eventually did Barrie did support the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barrie learn about Mary and Gilbert's marriage?
2. How did Arthur die?
3. What did Barrie think of Mary and Cannan at this time?
4. Describe George's last letter to Barrie. What then happens to George?
5. What benefits exist in the relationship between Mary and Cannan?
6. How did Arthur's recuperation in a nursing home affect Barrie?
7. What happened when James learned of his wife's relationship with Gilbert?
8. What does Barrie think about Jack's engagement to Geraldine Gibb?
9. How does Arthur become ill?
10. What happened to Sylvia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrie was rewarded for his work.
Part 1) How was he rewarded? Why was he rewarded? How might he have felt about being rewarded? Why?
Part 2) What is ironic about his recognition from Edinburgh University? How might he have felt about this recognition? What does all of this recognition reinforce about Barrie and his work?
Part 3) How have you been recognized in your own life? How did this recognition affect you? How important is it to be recognized for one's work? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Barrie loved theater and literature.
Part 1) Describe his first theater and literature experiences. How did his family encourage these interests? Why did this interest continue throughout his life?
Part 2) How was his personality suited for these interests? How did these interests influence his entire life?
Part 3) What interests do you have? How have you come to have these interests? How do they influence your life?
Essay Topic 3
Both Arthur and Sylvia die.
Part 1) Describe the events leading up their deaths. How do these death compare to each other? Is this surprising? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does their relationship with Barrie become important at this point? How significant is his role in their family's life? How does this seem to affect Barrie?
Part 3) If your parents were to die, who would be important in your life? Why? How would these people help you cope with this tragedy?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)