|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1888, Barrie self published his first novel titled, __________.
2. Why did Barrie enroll at Edinburgh University?
3. As fond of the Llewelyn Davies family as Barrie was, he was disappointed when who did not form a friendship?
4. The search for a country home had to finally yielded fruit for Mary. Mary had found a house in Surrey, known as ___________ Cottage.
5. What was the only argument between Frohman and James?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Barrie change once he had accepted Michael's death? Why might he have reacted this way?
2. Describe Barrie's relationship with Peter and Nico throughout the rest of his life.
3. What benefits exist in the relationship between Mary and Cannan?
4. What happened when James learned of his wife's relationship with Gilbert?
5. What takes place between Barrie and Edinburgh University? What might Barrie have thought about this?
6. What did Barrie also receive? What is this?
7. What else did Barrie do publicly? Why might he have done this?
8. What did Barrie think of hard work?
9. Describe the first meeting of Arthur and Sylvia.
10. What does Barrie learn about Mary and Gilbert's marriage?
Essay Topic 1
James Barrie was born in Scotland.
Part 1) Describe his family life in Scotland. How did his family and upbringing influence him throughout his life?
Part 2) What is one event from Barrie's childhood that is significant throughout the rest of his life? Why? How different might he have been if this had not occurred?
Part 3) What event is most significant in your own life? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Barrie loved theater and literature.
Part 1) Describe his first theater and literature experiences. How did his family encourage these interests? Why did this interest continue throughout his life?
Part 2) How was his personality suited for these interests? How did these interests influence his entire life?
Part 3) What interests do you have? How have you come to have these interests? How do they influence your life?
Essay Topic 3
Barrie marries Mary Ansell.
Part 1) Describe Mary. How does Barrie fall in love with her? Describe their relationship. Are you surprised by their relationship? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does their relationship come to an end? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not? Afterward, what does Barrie think of Mary? What does this reveal about him?
Part 3) Barrie became very close to Sylvia Davies. Do you believe they were in love? Why or why not?
Part 4) What did Barrie think of himself, in regard to women? Why? Do you agree with him? Why or why not? How do Barrie's relationships with women compare to your own interests in others?
This section contains 2,606 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)