|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The births of the Llewelyn Davies boys are chronicled. George was born in 1893; Jack in 1894; Peter in 1897; Michael 1900; and _________ in 1903.
2. What seemed to intrigue Barrie the most while at school?
3. In this book is the perhaps the first appearance of ______________, who was then known as Captain Swarthy.
4. Birkin writes: "The engagement came as something of a surprise to their friends, for although Arthur and Sylvia made a spectacularly handsome couple, _____________ had virtually nothing in common." (Chapter 4 page 47).
5. Barrie dreamed of becoming what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the summer of Michael's first birthday important?
2. How was the meeting of the Davies and Barrie chronicled in "Peter Pan?"
3. What did Barrie think of hard work?
4. Why was the engagement between Arthur and Sylvia surprising?
5. Describe "Sentimental Tommy."
6. Why might the Davies brothers begin to hate their association with Peter Pan?
7. How did David Barrie influence James?
8. Describe Margaret's childhood. How did her childhood affect James?
9. How did the theater influence Barrie early on?
10. How was James' experience at Dumfries Academy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrie was rewarded for his work.
Part 1) How was he rewarded? Why was he rewarded? How might he have felt about being rewarded? Why?
Part 2) What is ironic about his recognition from Edinburgh University? How might he have felt about this recognition? What does all of this recognition reinforce about Barrie and his work?
Part 3) How have you been recognized in your own life? How did this recognition affect you? How important is it to be recognized for one's work? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Barrie loved hard work.
Part 1) How does his life reflect this love? Why does he love hard work? How did he benefit from hard work? How was it also detrimental?
Part 2) Do you love hard work? Why or why not? How do your thoughts about work compare to those of James?
Part 3) How is hard work important to American culture? Why is it important? How does it affect us as Americans?
Essay Topic 3
James meets Sylvia Davies at a New Year's Eve dinner party.
Part 1) Describe this meeting. How is it significant? Why is the relationship between Barrie and the Davies family so important? How is it different from his other relationships? Why?
Part 2) What role do the Davies play in Barrie's attraction to them? How does his attraction affect them?
Part 3) To whom are you attracted? Why? What relationships are the most important to your life? Why?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)