|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barrie had a meeting with ______________ regarding the play.
2. What was the only argument between Frohman and James?
3. Why was Arthur's father not offered a bishopric?
4. Arthur Llewelyn Davies was one of _________ sons.
5. It was obvious that Barrie was much more at home with ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How was James' little sister Maggie important in his life?
2. Describe the financial situation of the newly-married Davies.
3. Describe Margaret's childhood. How did her childhood affect James?
4. Describe "Peter and Wendy." What did Frohman think of it?
5. Why is Peter Llewellyn Davies' death significant?
6. Describe "Sentimental Tommy."
7. What is Barrie's belief about children and is one of the first references to "Peter Pan?"
8. Describe the first meeting of Arthur and Sylvia.
9. Why might the Davies brothers begin to hate their association with Peter Pan?
10. How was Margaret important to Barrie's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrie's brother, David, died at the age of fourteen.
Part 1) Describe David. How did the rest of the family feel about David? Why did they feel this way? How did he die? How is his death significant?
Part 2) How does the family, especially Margaret, cope with this loss? How does this affect James and the other children? How important is this throughout the rest of James' life?
Part 3) What does this say about the control one has over one's life? How important are the uncontrolled events that take place in one's life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Davies boys grow up.
Part 1) Describe the changes that take place in the lives of the Davies boys. How do these changes affect Barrie? Why do they affect him in this way?
Part 2) Does Barrie handle these changes well? Why or why not? How do you know he treated the boys as a father might treat his sons? How do they show him they care for him like a father?
Part 3) What troubles have you caused your own parents? Why? How do you also show them you appreciate what they do for you?
Essay Topic 3
Barrie had a few close friends.
Part 1) Who are four of his closest friends? Describe each of these friends. What do these people have in common with Barrie?
Part 2) How do these friends influence Barrie? How important are Barrie's friends to his life and work? Why?
Part 3) How important are your own friends and acquaintances in your own life? Why? How does this compare to Barrie?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)