|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James Barrie's father, David Barrie, was a ______________.
2. After seeing "Bandalero the Bandit", the clergyman denounced the play in a local newspaper, referring to it as grossly immoral. How did Barrie feel about this?
3. What happened when Frohman read the play?
4. Barrie named the book "The Boy Castaways of _________________ Island."
5. To where was the reverend transferred?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Arthur feel about Barrie's involvement with his family?
2. How was the meeting of the Davies and Barrie chronicled in "Peter Pan?"
3. Describe "Peter and Wendy." What did Frohman think of it?
4. Describe "Sentimental Tommy."
5. Describe the first meeting of Arthur and Sylvia.
6. How was James' little sister Maggie important in his life?
7. How did the theater influence Barrie early on?
8. Describe James Barrie's childhood.
9. How did David Barrie influence James?
10. Why might the Davies brothers begin to hate their association with Peter Pan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrie had a few close friends.
Part 1) Who are four of his closest friends? Describe each of these friends. What do these people have in common with Barrie?
Part 2) How do these friends influence Barrie? How important are Barrie's friends to his life and work? Why?
Part 3) How important are your own friends and acquaintances in your own life? Why? How does this compare to Barrie?
Essay Topic 2
Barrie was rewarded for his work.
Part 1) How was he rewarded? Why was he rewarded? How might he have felt about being rewarded? Why?
Part 2) What is ironic about his recognition from Edinburgh University? How might he have felt about this recognition? What does all of this recognition reinforce about Barrie and his work?
Part 3) How have you been recognized in your own life? How did this recognition affect you? How important is it to be recognized for one's work? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Barrie was inspired by children.
Part 1) Describe Barrie's interest in children. Why does he like children so much? How does his past influence this?
Part 2) How are these children important to his life and work? How is Barrie also important to these children? How does his relationship with children affect his relationships with adults?
Part 3) What are your feelings about children? Why? Who inspires you? Why? How do these people compare to Barrie's inspirations?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)