|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Barrie meet Sylvia Llewellyn Davies?
2. Why did Barrie call Sylvia this name?
3. Which child was the apple of Margaret's eye?
4. What happened when Frohman read the play?
5. What does James say about his five years at Dumfries Academy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was one of the few things Mary Hodgson and Barrie had in common?
2. How was Margaret important to Barrie's work?
3. Describe the reviews of the play's debut.
4. What takes place between Mary and Gilbert Cannan?
5. What does Barrie learn about Mary and Gilbert's marriage?
6. How was James' experience at Dumfries Academy?
7. What did Mary Ansell soon learn about Barrie? How did this affect her?
8. With what type of people did Barrie keep company? Why?
9. What else did Barrie do publicly? Why might he have done this?
10. How did the theater influence Barrie early on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrie loved hard work.
Part 1) How does his life reflect this love? Why does he love hard work? How did he benefit from hard work? How was it also detrimental?
Part 2) Do you love hard work? Why or why not? How do your thoughts about work compare to those of James?
Part 3) How is hard work important to American culture? Why is it important? How does it affect us as Americans?
Essay Topic 2
The Davies boys grow up.
Part 1) Describe the changes that take place in the lives of the Davies boys. How do these changes affect Barrie? Why do they affect him in this way?
Part 2) Does Barrie handle these changes well? Why or why not? How do you know he treated the boys as a father might treat his sons? How do they show him they care for him like a father?
Part 3) What troubles have you caused your own parents? Why? How do you also show them you appreciate what they do for you?
Essay Topic 3
Barrie is affected by World War I.
Part 1) How does World War I affect Barrie's life? Might this be typical of many people at this time? Why or why not? How does he cope with this?
Part 2) How might these events caused by World War I affect Barrie's work? Why? How are other events in Barrie's life also important?
Part 3) How has war affected your own life and your family's history? How has war led to changes in our country and society? Are these good changes? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,532 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)