|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Barrie say he thought the play would be successful?
2. Where was James Barrie born?
3. After seeing "Bandalero the Bandit", the clergyman denounced the play in a local newspaper, referring to it as grossly immoral. How did Barrie feel about this?
4. It began to seem obvious that Arthur was ____________ thrilled with his family's involvement with Barrie.
5. James Barrie's father, David Barrie, was a ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reviews of the play's debut.
2. Describe the financial situation of the newly-married Davies.
3. Why might the Davies brothers begin to hate their association with Peter Pan?
4. Why was the engagement between Arthur and Sylvia surprising?
5. How did the theater influence Barrie early on?
6. Describe Margaret's childhood. How did her childhood affect James?
7. How was James' experience at Dumfries Academy?
8. What is Barrie's belief about children and is one of the first references to "Peter Pan?"
9. How was the summer of Michael's first birthday important?
10. Why is Peter Llewellyn Davies' death significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael is the subject of much of the epilogue.
Part 1) Who is Michael? Why is he important in Barrie's life? Why is he the main subject of the epilogue? Was he more important than others in Barrie's life? Why or why not?
Part 2) What else is included in the epilogue? Why? How does this help to bring the book to a conclusion? Is this a good way to end the book? Why or why not?
Part 3) What can you, as the reader, take away from this book? What can be learned from Barrie's life and work?
Essay Topic 2
Both Arthur and Sylvia die.
Part 1) Describe the events leading up their deaths. How do these death compare to each other? Is this surprising? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does their relationship with Barrie become important at this point? How significant is his role in their family's life? How does this seem to affect Barrie?
Part 3) If your parents were to die, who would be important in your life? Why? How would these people help you cope with this tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
Barrie loved hard work.
Part 1) How does his life reflect this love? Why does he love hard work? How did he benefit from hard work? How was it also detrimental?
Part 2) Do you love hard work? Why or why not? How do your thoughts about work compare to those of James?
Part 3) How is hard work important to American culture? Why is it important? How does it affect us as Americans?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)