|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was James' favorite comic series?
2. Barrie dreamed of becoming what?
3. What was The Nottingham Journal?
4. Things changed for Barrie when in 1892, he met _______________, an actress who operated her own touring company.
5. The births of the Llewelyn Davies boys are chronicled. George was born in 1893; Jack in 1894; Peter in 1897; Michael 1900; and _________ in 1903.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe James Barrie's childhood.
2. How did the theater influence Barrie early on?
3. Where did Mary and James find a country home?
4. How did David Barrie influence James?
5. Describe the first meeting of Arthur and Sylvia.
6. What is Barrie's belief about children and is one of the first references to "Peter Pan?"
7. Describe "Sentimental Tommy."
8. Describe Margaret's childhood. How did her childhood affect James?
9. How was Margaret important to Barrie's work?
10. How did Arthur feel about Barrie's involvement with his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James graduated from Edinburgh University.
Part 1) Describe his experiences at Edinburgh. Why did he attend college? How does this reinforce his role in the family? How does this personally affect him?
Part 2) How was his college experience positive? To what did it lead? Could he have done all he did without his college degree? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is higher learning important to you? Why or why not? How might your life be without a college degree? How might this compare to your life with a college degree? What might be the reasons for these differences?
Essay Topic 2
The five Davies boys were the inspiration for Peter Pan.
Part 1) Who are these boys? How did they become the inspiration for Peter Pan? How is each boy's character seen in Peter Pan? How are these boys like Barrie?
Part 2) How did other children also influence Barrie's work? Why were children and childhood so important to Barrie? What can be revealed about Barrie because of this?
Part 3) How are events in your own childhood important in the present? How might these events influence your future?
Essay Topic 3
Barrie was rewarded for his work.
Part 1) How was he rewarded? Why was he rewarded? How might he have felt about being rewarded? Why?
Part 2) What is ironic about his recognition from Edinburgh University? How might he have felt about this recognition? What does all of this recognition reinforce about Barrie and his work?
Part 3) How have you been recognized in your own life? How did this recognition affect you? How important is it to be recognized for one's work? Explain.
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)