|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was James Barrie born?
2. Barrie and Sylvia seemed to grow ever closer. Eventually Sylvia would be referred to by Barrie as what?
3. Birkin writes: "The engagement came as something of a surprise to their friends, for although Arthur and Sylvia made a spectacularly handsome couple, _____________ had virtually nothing in common." (Chapter 4 page 47).
4. One friend, six-year-old Margaret Henley, can be credited with creating what name?
5. Arthur Llewelyn Davies was one of _________ sons.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe James Barrie's childhood.
2. How did Arthur feel about Barrie's involvement with his family?
3. Describe "Peter and Wendy." What did Frohman think of it?
4. How was Margaret important to Barrie's work?
5. Describe the first meeting of Arthur and Sylvia.
6. What did Barrie think of hard work?
7. Describe the financial situation of the newly-married Davies.
8. How did the theater influence Barrie early on?
9. Why is Peter Llewellyn Davies' death significant?
10. Why might the Davies brothers begin to hate their association with Peter Pan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Davies boys grow up.
Part 1) Describe the changes that take place in the lives of the Davies boys. How do these changes affect Barrie? Why do they affect him in this way?
Part 2) Does Barrie handle these changes well? Why or why not? How do you know he treated the boys as a father might treat his sons? How do they show him they care for him like a father?
Part 3) What troubles have you caused your own parents? Why? How do you also show them you appreciate what they do for you?
Essay Topic 2
Mary has an affair with Gilbert Cannan.
Part 1) Describe this affair. Why does it take place? Could this have been predicted? Why or why not? Why does it take Barrie so long to realize it? What does this reveal about him and Mary?
Part 2) Does this affair affect your opinion of Mary or Barrie? Why or why not? Are you surprised when her relationship with Cannan ends? Why or why not?
Part 3) How difficult is marriage today? Why? Does it seem that marriage has grown more difficult over time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Barrie was rewarded for his work.
Part 1) How was he rewarded? Why was he rewarded? How might he have felt about being rewarded? Why?
Part 2) What is ironic about his recognition from Edinburgh University? How might he have felt about this recognition? What does all of this recognition reinforce about Barrie and his work?
Part 3) How have you been recognized in your own life? How did this recognition affect you? How important is it to be recognized for one's work? Explain.
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)