|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James Barrie's father, David Barrie, was a ______________.
2. The author describes the background of Arthur Davies, who was the son of Reverend who?
3. James' school friend, Stuart Gordon, adopted the name "Dare Devil Dick" and Barrie was ____________.
4. Barrie wrote about Peter, who still had the ability to fly because of what reason?
5. Who were all dubbed as Peter Pan in the press?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the financial situation of the newly-married Davies.
2. What is Barrie's belief about children and is one of the first references to "Peter Pan?"
3. How did Arthur feel about Barrie's involvement with his family?
4. How was James' little sister Maggie important in his life?
5. Why might the Davies brothers begin to hate their association with Peter Pan?
6. Describe "The Boy Castaways of Black Lake Island."
7. What did Barrie think of hard work?
8. What did Mary Ansell soon learn about Barrie? How did this affect her?
9. How was James' experience at Dumfries Academy?
10. What background information does the author give about Arthur Davies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrie loved theater and literature.
Part 1) Describe his first theater and literature experiences. How did his family encourage these interests? Why did this interest continue throughout his life?
Part 2) How was his personality suited for these interests? How did these interests influence his entire life?
Part 3) What interests do you have? How have you come to have these interests? How do they influence your life?
Essay Topic 2
Barrie had a few close friends.
Part 1) Who are four of his closest friends? Describe each of these friends. What do these people have in common with Barrie?
Part 2) How do these friends influence Barrie? How important are Barrie's friends to his life and work? Why?
Part 3) How important are your own friends and acquaintances in your own life? Why? How does this compare to Barrie?
Essay Topic 3
Barrie marries Mary Ansell.
Part 1) Describe Mary. How does Barrie fall in love with her? Describe their relationship. Are you surprised by their relationship? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does their relationship come to an end? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not? Afterward, what does Barrie think of Mary? What does this reveal about him?
Part 3) Barrie became very close to Sylvia Davies. Do you believe they were in love? Why or why not?
Part 4) What did Barrie think of himself, in regard to women? Why? Do you agree with him? Why or why not? How do Barrie's relationships with women compare to your own interests in others?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)