Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1888, Barrie self published his first novel titled, __________.
2. Why did Barrie enroll at Edinburgh University?
3. As fond of the Llewelyn Davies family as Barrie was, he was disappointed when who did not form a friendship?
4. The search for a country home had to finally yielded fruit for Mary. Mary had found a house in Surrey, known as ___________ Cottage.
5. What was the only argument between Frohman and James?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Barrie change once he had accepted Michael's death? Why might he have reacted this way?
2. Describe Barrie's relationship with Peter and Nico throughout the rest of his life.
3. What benefits exist in the relationship between Mary and Cannan?
4. What happened when James learned of his wife's relationship with Gilbert?
5. What takes place between Barrie and Edinburgh University? What might Barrie have thought about this?
6. What did Barrie also receive? What is this?
7. What else did Barrie do publicly? Why might he have done this?
8. What did Barrie think of hard work?
9. Describe the first meeting of Arthur and Sylvia.
10. What does Barrie learn about Mary and Gilbert's marriage?
Both Arthur and Sylvia die.
Part 1) Describe the events leading up their deaths. How do these death compare to each other? Is this surprising? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does their relationship with Barrie become important at this point? How significant is his role in their family's life? How does this seem to affect Barrie?
Part 3) If your parents were to die, who would be important in your life? Why? How would these people help you cope with this tragedy?
Barrie marries Mary Ansell.
Part 1) Describe Mary. How does Barrie fall in love with her? Describe their relationship. Are you surprised by their relationship? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does their relationship come to an end? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not? Afterward, what does Barrie think of Mary? What does this reveal about him?
Part 3) Barrie became very close to Sylvia Davies. Do you believe they were in love? Why or why not?
Part 4) What did Barrie think of himself, in regard to women? Why? Do you agree with him? Why or why not? How do Barrie's relationships with women compare to your own interests in others?
Barrie loved hard work.
Part 1) How does his life reflect this love? Why does he love hard work? How did he benefit from hard work? How was it also detrimental?
Part 2) Do you love hard work? Why or why not? How do your thoughts about work compare to those of James?
Part 3) How is hard work important to American culture? Why is it important? How does it affect us as Americans?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)