|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James' school friend, Stuart Gordon, adopted the name "Dare Devil Dick" and Barrie was ____________.
2. James Barrie's father, David Barrie, was a ______________.
3. What does James say about his five years at Dumfries Academy?
4. The author describes the background of Arthur Davies, who was the son of Reverend who?
5. What was James' favorite comic series?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Peter Llewellyn Davies' death significant?
2. Describe "Sentimental Tommy."
3. What did Barrie think of hard work?
4. Describe Margaret's childhood. How did her childhood affect James?
5. What did Mary Ansell soon learn about Barrie? How did this affect her?
6. Describe the first meeting of Arthur and Sylvia.
7. How was Margaret important to Barrie's work?
8. Describe "The Boy Castaways of Black Lake Island."
9. What background information does the author give about Arthur Davies?
10. Describe the financial situation of the newly-married Davies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary has an affair with Gilbert Cannan.
Part 1) Describe this affair. Why does it take place? Could this have been predicted? Why or why not? Why does it take Barrie so long to realize it? What does this reveal about him and Mary?
Part 2) Does this affair affect your opinion of Mary or Barrie? Why or why not? Are you surprised when her relationship with Cannan ends? Why or why not?
Part 3) How difficult is marriage today? Why? Does it seem that marriage has grown more difficult over time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Davies boys grow up.
Part 1) Describe the changes that take place in the lives of the Davies boys. How do these changes affect Barrie? Why do they affect him in this way?
Part 2) Does Barrie handle these changes well? Why or why not? How do you know he treated the boys as a father might treat his sons? How do they show him they care for him like a father?
Part 3) What troubles have you caused your own parents? Why? How do you also show them you appreciate what they do for you?
Essay Topic 3
Barrie grows close to the Davies children.
Part 1) Describe their relationship. How does he grow close to them? Why does he grow close to them? Do they grow close to him as well? Why or why not? How are these children different than other children he has met?
Part 2) How and why does Barrie grow close to their mother, Sylvia, as well? How does this closeness to the mother and children affect Arthur, the father? Why is he affected in this way?
Part 3) How different would James' life have been if he had never met the Davies? What people in your own life have had a significant impact on you? Why? How?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)