|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was The Nottingham Journal?
2. Barrie and Sylvia seemed to grow ever closer. Eventually Sylvia would be referred to by Barrie as what?
3. Barrie's nephew Charlie was the impetus for Barrie's creation of a character named ___________.
4. To where was the reverend transferred?
5. The only thing that could dampen Barrie's spirit was what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Margaret's childhood. How did her childhood affect James?
2. What did Barrie think of hard work?
3. How did Arthur feel about Barrie's involvement with his family?
4. How was James' experience at Dumfries Academy?
5. Describe "Peter and Wendy." What did Frohman think of it?
6. How was the summer of Michael's first birthday important?
7. How did the theater influence Barrie early on?
8. Describe the financial situation of the newly-married Davies.
9. What is Barrie's belief about children and is one of the first references to "Peter Pan?"
10. How was the meeting of the Davies and Barrie chronicled in "Peter Pan?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrie grieves over the deaths of many friends and family members throughout his life.
Part 1) How do these deaths affect Barrie? What deaths are the most significant? Why? How do they influence Barrie's thoughts and actions?
Part 2) How are the ideas of growing old and dying significant in Barrie's work? Why are these aspects of life so important?
Part 3) What are your thoughts about growing old and dying? Is death so important in our culture today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Barrie's brother, David, died at the age of fourteen.
Part 1) Describe David. How did the rest of the family feel about David? Why did they feel this way? How did he die? How is his death significant?
Part 2) How does the family, especially Margaret, cope with this loss? How does this affect James and the other children? How important is this throughout the rest of James' life?
Part 3) What does this say about the control one has over one's life? How important are the uncontrolled events that take place in one's life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Barrie loved theater and literature.
Part 1) Describe his first theater and literature experiences. How did his family encourage these interests? Why did this interest continue throughout his life?
Part 2) How was his personality suited for these interests? How did these interests influence his entire life?
Part 3) What interests do you have? How have you come to have these interests? How do they influence your life?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)