|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did David Barrie bring into the life of young James?
2. It was obvious that Barrie was much more at home with ______________.
3. James Barrie's father, David Barrie, was a ______________.
4. Barrie's relationships with the Llewelyn Davies children grew stronger. ___________, now age 7, remained Barrie's favorite.
5. It began to seem obvious that Arthur was ____________ thrilled with his family's involvement with Barrie.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reviews of the play's debut.
2. How was James' experience at Dumfries Academy?
3. Describe "The Boy Castaways of Black Lake Island."
4. Where did Mary and James find a country home?
5. What background information does the author give about Arthur Davies?
6. How was James' little sister Maggie important in his life?
7. How did Arthur feel about Barrie's involvement with his family?
8. Describe James Barrie's childhood.
9. What is Barrie's belief about children and is one of the first references to "Peter Pan?"
10. How did David Barrie influence James?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Arthur and Sylvia die.
Part 1) Describe the events leading up their deaths. How do these death compare to each other? Is this surprising? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does their relationship with Barrie become important at this point? How significant is his role in their family's life? How does this seem to affect Barrie?
Part 3) If your parents were to die, who would be important in your life? Why? How would these people help you cope with this tragedy?
Essay Topic 2
Barrie loved hard work.
Part 1) How does his life reflect this love? Why does he love hard work? How did he benefit from hard work? How was it also detrimental?
Part 2) Do you love hard work? Why or why not? How do your thoughts about work compare to those of James?
Part 3) How is hard work important to American culture? Why is it important? How does it affect us as Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Mary has an affair with Gilbert Cannan.
Part 1) Describe this affair. Why does it take place? Could this have been predicted? Why or why not? Why does it take Barrie so long to realize it? What does this reveal about him and Mary?
Part 2) Does this affair affect your opinion of Mary or Barrie? Why or why not? Are you surprised when her relationship with Cannan ends? Why or why not?
Part 3) How difficult is marriage today? Why? Does it seem that marriage has grown more difficult over time? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)