|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first draft of the play, "Peter Pan," was finished ____________.
2. Did Barrie say he thought the play would be successful?
3. Barrie was the ____________ child to David Barrie and Margaret Ogilvy.
4. After seeing "Bandalero the Bandit", the clergyman denounced the play in a local newspaper, referring to it as grossly immoral. How did Barrie feel about this?
5. Barrie and Sylvia seemed to grow ever closer. Eventually Sylvia would be referred to by Barrie as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did David Barrie influence James?
2. Describe the first meeting of Arthur and Sylvia.
3. How did the theater influence Barrie early on?
4. Describe "Peter and Wendy." What did Frohman think of it?
5. Why might the Davies brothers begin to hate their association with Peter Pan?
6. Describe James Barrie's childhood.
7. What is Barrie's belief about children and is one of the first references to "Peter Pan?"
8. Describe Margaret's childhood. How did her childhood affect James?
9. What did Mary Ansell soon learn about Barrie? How did this affect her?
10. How was James' little sister Maggie important in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrie grieves over the deaths of many friends and family members throughout his life.
Part 1) How do these deaths affect Barrie? What deaths are the most significant? Why? How do they influence Barrie's thoughts and actions?
Part 2) How are the ideas of growing old and dying significant in Barrie's work? Why are these aspects of life so important?
Part 3) What are your thoughts about growing old and dying? Is death so important in our culture today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
James graduated from Edinburgh University.
Part 1) Describe his experiences at Edinburgh. Why did he attend college? How does this reinforce his role in the family? How does this personally affect him?
Part 2) How was his college experience positive? To what did it lead? Could he have done all he did without his college degree? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is higher learning important to you? Why or why not? How might your life be without a college degree? How might this compare to your life with a college degree? What might be the reasons for these differences?
Essay Topic 3
James Barrie was born in Scotland.
Part 1) Describe his family life in Scotland. How did his family and upbringing influence him throughout his life?
Part 2) What is one event from Barrie's childhood that is significant throughout the rest of his life? Why? How different might he have been if this had not occurred?
Part 3) What event is most significant in your own life? Why?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)