Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1888, Barrie self published his first novel titled, __________.
2. Why did Barrie enroll at Edinburgh University?
3. As fond of the Llewelyn Davies family as Barrie was, he was disappointed when who did not form a friendship?
4. The search for a country home had to finally yielded fruit for Mary. Mary had found a house in Surrey, known as ___________ Cottage.
5. What was the only argument between Frohman and James?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Barrie change once he had accepted Michael's death? Why might he have reacted this way?
2. Describe Barrie's relationship with Peter and Nico throughout the rest of his life.
3. What benefits exist in the relationship between Mary and Cannan?
4. What happened when James learned of his wife's relationship with Gilbert?
5. What takes place between Barrie and Edinburgh University? What might Barrie have thought about this?
6. What did Barrie also receive? What is this?
7. What else did Barrie do publicly? Why might he have done this?
8. What did Barrie think of hard work?
9. Describe the first meeting of Arthur and Sylvia.
10. What does Barrie learn about Mary and Gilbert's marriage?
Essay Topic 1
The five Davies boys were the inspiration for Peter Pan.
Part 1) Who are these boys? How did they become the inspiration for Peter Pan? How is each boy's character seen in Peter Pan? How are these boys like Barrie?
Part 2) How did other children also influence Barrie's work? Why were children and childhood so important to Barrie? What can be revealed about Barrie because of this?
Part 3) How are events in your own childhood important in the present? How might these events influence your future?
Essay Topic 2
Barrie is affected by World War I.
Part 1) How does World War I affect Barrie's life? Might this be typical of many people at this time? Why or why not? How does he cope with this?
Part 2) How might these events caused by World War I affect Barrie's work? Why? How are other events in Barrie's life also important?
Part 3) How has war affected your own life and your family's history? How has war led to changes in our country and society? Are these good changes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Barrie marries Mary Ansell.
Part 1) Describe Mary. How does Barrie fall in love with her? Describe their relationship. Are you surprised by their relationship? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does their relationship come to an end? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not? Afterward, what does Barrie think of Mary? What does this reveal about him?
Part 3) Barrie became very close to Sylvia Davies. Do you believe they were in love? Why or why not?
Part 4) What did Barrie think of himself, in regard to women? Why? Do you agree with him? Why or why not? How do Barrie's relationships with women compare to your own interests in others?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)