|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this book is the perhaps the first appearance of ______________, who was then known as Captain Swarthy.
2. After _________ long years of courtship, the couple married.
3. Who helped Barrie get his first literary job?
4. The author describes the background of Arthur Davies, who was the son of Reverend who?
5. What was James' favorite comic series?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Mary and James find a country home?
2. Why is Peter Llewellyn Davies' death significant?
3. How did the theater influence Barrie early on?
4. What did Barrie think of hard work?
5. Describe James Barrie's childhood.
6. How was James' little sister Maggie important in his life?
7. Why was the engagement between Arthur and Sylvia surprising?
8. What background information does the author give about Arthur Davies?
9. Describe the reviews of the play's debut.
10. How did Arthur feel about Barrie's involvement with his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James' years at Dumfries Academy were some of the happiest in his life.
Part 1) Describe these years. Why were they the happiest in his life? Describe his personality at this time. How does this reflect his enjoyment at school?
Part 2) What role did this school play in his development as a writer? How did his experiences at Edinburgh University compare to these early school years? How were his college years also important?
Part 3) Describe your own school experiences. How do they impact your life? How do they compare to James' school experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Barrie was rewarded for his work.
Part 1) How was he rewarded? Why was he rewarded? How might he have felt about being rewarded? Why?
Part 2) What is ironic about his recognition from Edinburgh University? How might he have felt about this recognition? What does all of this recognition reinforce about Barrie and his work?
Part 3) How have you been recognized in your own life? How did this recognition affect you? How important is it to be recognized for one's work? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
James graduated from Edinburgh University.
Part 1) Describe his experiences at Edinburgh. Why did he attend college? How does this reinforce his role in the family? How does this personally affect him?
Part 2) How was his college experience positive? To what did it lead? Could he have done all he did without his college degree? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is higher learning important to you? Why or why not? How might your life be without a college degree? How might this compare to your life with a college degree? What might be the reasons for these differences?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)