|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1882, Barrie returned to Kirriemuir with his _______ degree.
2. The first draft of the play, "Peter Pan," was finished ____________.
3. One friend, six-year-old Margaret Henley, can be credited with creating what name?
4. It began to seem obvious that Arthur was ____________ thrilled with his family's involvement with Barrie.
5. What was The Nottingham Journal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Arthur feel about Barrie's involvement with his family?
2. Why might the Davies brothers begin to hate their association with Peter Pan?
3. What is Barrie's belief about children and is one of the first references to "Peter Pan?"
4. Describe the first meeting of Arthur and Sylvia.
5. Describe the reviews of the play's debut.
6. Describe the financial situation of the newly-married Davies.
7. How was James' experience at Dumfries Academy?
8. What did Barrie think of hard work?
9. How was James' little sister Maggie important in his life?
10. What did Mary Ansell soon learn about Barrie? How did this affect her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James meets Sylvia Davies at a New Year's Eve dinner party.
Part 1) Describe this meeting. How is it significant? Why is the relationship between Barrie and the Davies family so important? How is it different from his other relationships? Why?
Part 2) What role do the Davies play in Barrie's attraction to them? How does his attraction affect them?
Part 3) To whom are you attracted? Why? What relationships are the most important to your life? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Barrie's brother, David, died at the age of fourteen.
Part 1) Describe David. How did the rest of the family feel about David? Why did they feel this way? How did he die? How is his death significant?
Part 2) How does the family, especially Margaret, cope with this loss? How does this affect James and the other children? How important is this throughout the rest of James' life?
Part 3) What does this say about the control one has over one's life? How important are the uncontrolled events that take place in one's life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Barrie loved hard work.
Part 1) How does his life reflect this love? Why does he love hard work? How did he benefit from hard work? How was it also detrimental?
Part 2) Do you love hard work? Why or why not? How do your thoughts about work compare to those of James?
Part 3) How is hard work important to American culture? Why is it important? How does it affect us as Americans?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)