|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was James' favorite comic series?
2. Barrie's nephew Charlie was the impetus for Barrie's creation of a character named ___________.
3. After seeing "Bandalero the Bandit", the clergyman denounced the play in a local newspaper, referring to it as grossly immoral. How did Barrie feel about this?
4. At age 17, how tall was Barrie?
5. One of the first references to "Peter Pan" was Barrie's belief that all children were once _________ and so there had to be bars on the nursery windows in case the children would forget they could no longer fly.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe "The Boy Castaways of Black Lake Island."
2. Describe "Peter and Wendy." What did Frohman think of it?
3. What is Barrie's belief about children and is one of the first references to "Peter Pan?"
4. How did Arthur feel about Barrie's involvement with his family?
5. How was James' little sister Maggie important in his life?
6. How did the theater influence Barrie early on?
7. Why was the engagement between Arthur and Sylvia surprising?
8. Describe Margaret's childhood. How did her childhood affect James?
9. What did Mary Ansell soon learn about Barrie? How did this affect her?
10. Where did Mary and James find a country home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrie grieves over the deaths of many friends and family members throughout his life.
Part 1) How do these deaths affect Barrie? What deaths are the most significant? Why? How do they influence Barrie's thoughts and actions?
Part 2) How are the ideas of growing old and dying significant in Barrie's work? Why are these aspects of life so important?
Part 3) What are your thoughts about growing old and dying? Is death so important in our culture today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Barrie was rewarded for his work.
Part 1) How was he rewarded? Why was he rewarded? How might he have felt about being rewarded? Why?
Part 2) What is ironic about his recognition from Edinburgh University? How might he have felt about this recognition? What does all of this recognition reinforce about Barrie and his work?
Part 3) How have you been recognized in your own life? How did this recognition affect you? How important is it to be recognized for one's work? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Barrie loved theater and literature.
Part 1) Describe his first theater and literature experiences. How did his family encourage these interests? Why did this interest continue throughout his life?
Part 2) How was his personality suited for these interests? How did these interests influence his entire life?
Part 3) What interests do you have? How have you come to have these interests? How do they influence your life?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)