|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barrie named the book "The Boy Castaways of _________________ Island."
2. Birkin writes: "The engagement came as something of a surprise to their friends, for although Arthur and Sylvia made a spectacularly handsome couple, _____________ had virtually nothing in common." (Chapter 4 page 47).
3. Barrie and Sylvia seemed to grow ever closer. Eventually Sylvia would be referred to by Barrie as what?
4. Why was Arthur's father not offered a bishopric?
5. Arthur, a young and rapidly rising barrister, met Sylvia du Maurier in 1889 where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might the Davies brothers begin to hate their association with Peter Pan?
2. What did Mary Ansell soon learn about Barrie? How did this affect her?
3. How was the summer of Michael's first birthday important?
4. Describe "Sentimental Tommy."
5. Why is Peter Llewellyn Davies' death significant?
6. How was James' experience at Dumfries Academy?
7. How did the theater influence Barrie early on?
8. What background information does the author give about Arthur Davies?
9. Describe "Peter and Wendy." What did Frohman think of it?
10. Why was the engagement between Arthur and Sylvia surprising?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrie marries Mary Ansell.
Part 1) Describe Mary. How does Barrie fall in love with her? Describe their relationship. Are you surprised by their relationship? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does their relationship come to an end? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not? Afterward, what does Barrie think of Mary? What does this reveal about him?
Part 3) Barrie became very close to Sylvia Davies. Do you believe they were in love? Why or why not?
Part 4) What did Barrie think of himself, in regard to women? Why? Do you agree with him? Why or why not? How do Barrie's relationships with women compare to your own interests in others?
Essay Topic 2
The Davies boys grow up.
Part 1) Describe the changes that take place in the lives of the Davies boys. How do these changes affect Barrie? Why do they affect him in this way?
Part 2) Does Barrie handle these changes well? Why or why not? How do you know he treated the boys as a father might treat his sons? How do they show him they care for him like a father?
Part 3) What troubles have you caused your own parents? Why? How do you also show them you appreciate what they do for you?
Essay Topic 3
Mary has an affair with Gilbert Cannan.
Part 1) Describe this affair. Why does it take place? Could this have been predicted? Why or why not? Why does it take Barrie so long to realize it? What does this reveal about him and Mary?
Part 2) Does this affair affect your opinion of Mary or Barrie? Why or why not? Are you surprised when her relationship with Cannan ends? Why or why not?
Part 3) How difficult is marriage today? Why? Does it seem that marriage has grown more difficult over time? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)