|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first draft of the play, "Peter Pan," was finished ____________.
(a) May 1, 1904.
(b) December 1, 1904.
(c) August 1, 1904.
(d) March 1, 1904.
2. James' school friend, Stuart Gordon, adopted the name "Dare Devil Dick" and Barrie was ____________.
(a) "Jack the Phantom."
(b) "Cowboy Jack."
(c) "Sixteen String Jack."
(d) "Captain Jolly Jack."
3. What was one of the few things that seemed to console Margaret after David's death?
(a) He would remain a boy forever.
(b) He had not suffered.
(c) He was in heaven.
(d) He was watching over them.
4. Why did Barrie enroll at Edinburgh University?
(a) His parents felt that going to university would be good for him.
(b) He had always wanted to go to school here.
(c) His parents wanted him to follow the plan created for David.
(d) He received a full scholarship.
5. Did Barrie say he thought the play would be successful?
(a) No, he saw it as a dream child.
(b) Yes, it would be an instant hit.
(c) No, he saw it as a waste of time.
(d) Yes, but not for a long time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Arthur's father not offered a bishopric?
2. Within a few __________ of the meeting at the dinner party, the couple was engaged.
3. One of the first references to "Peter Pan" was Barrie's belief that all children were once _________ and so there had to be bars on the nursery windows in case the children would forget they could no longer fly.
4. What did George think of the appearance of Wendy?
5. Barrie was the ____________ child to David Barrie and Margaret Ogilvy.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reviews of the play's debut.
2. What did Barrie also receive? What is this?
3. Why was the engagement between Arthur and Sylvia surprising?
4. Was the 25 miles Arthur put between Barrie and Egerton House enough? Why or why not?
5. What did Barrie think of Mary and Cannan at this time?
6. Why did Barrie not realize what was going on between Mary and Gilbert?
7. What takes place between Barrie and Edinburgh University? What might Barrie have thought about this?
8. Describe "Peter and Wendy." What did Frohman think of it?
9. How were the Davies affected by Arthur's death?
10. How was the summer of Michael's first birthday important?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)