|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The only thing that could dampen Barrie's spirit was what?
(a) The weather.
(b) His health.
2. Why did Barrie enroll at Edinburgh University?
(a) His parents wanted him to follow the plan created for David.
(b) His parents felt that going to university would be good for him.
(c) He had always wanted to go to school here.
(d) He received a full scholarship.
3. Why was it natural that Arthur and Sylvia would be invited to the New Year's Eve dinner party where they would meet Barrie?
(a) Because they were very wealthy.
(b) Because they were related to the hosts.
(c) Because they were friends of Charles Frohman.
(d) Because of a business association with George Lewis.
4. Barrie named the book "The Boy Castaways of _________________ Island."
(a) Green Lake.
(b) Glass Lake.
(c) Blue Lake.
(d) Black Lake.
5. Barrie's relationships with the Llewelyn Davies children grew stronger. ___________, now age 7, remained Barrie's favorite.
6. James' school friend, Stuart Gordon, adopted the name "Dare Devil Dick" and Barrie was ____________.
(a) "Captain Jolly Jack."
(b) "Sixteen String Jack."
(c) "Cowboy Jack."
(d) "Jack the Phantom."
7. Barrie dreamed of becoming what?
(a) A ladies man.
(b) A father.
(c) An actor.
(d) A politician.
8. What seemed to intrigue Barrie the most while at school?
(a) The theater.
9. In 1888, Barrie self published his first novel titled, __________.
(a) "Dead in the Family."
(b) "Better Dead."
(c) "Dead or Alive."
(d) "Dead Until Dark."
10. Within a few __________ of the meeting at the dinner party, the couple was engaged.
11. Chapter 2 begins with Barrie talking about his love of what?
(c) Hard work.
12. Why was Arthur's father not offered a bishopric?
(a) He had not completed his education.
(b) He went on a rant in front of Queen Victoria.
(c) He had been late to many church services.
(d) He left the church.
13. What was James' favorite comic series?
(a) Penny Dreadfuls.
(b) Ally Sloper's Half Holiday.
(c) Max and Moritz.
(d) The Yellow Kid.
14. The births of the Llewelyn Davies boys are chronicled. George was born in 1893; Jack in 1894; Peter in 1897; Michael 1900; and _________ in 1903.
15. Birkin writes: "The engagement came as something of a surprise to their friends, for although Arthur and Sylvia made a spectacularly handsome couple, _____________ had virtually nothing in common." (Chapter 4 page 47).
(a) Their siblings.
(b) Their friends.
(c) Their families.
Short Answer Questions
1. Perhaps the highest point at this time in Barrie's life however was the beginning of a correspondence with whom?
2. James Barrie's father, David Barrie, was a ______________.
3. What was The Nottingham Journal?
4. To where was the reverend transferred?
5. Sylvia had begun to earn money by working for whom?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)