|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The only thing that could dampen Barrie's spirit was what?
(b) His health.
(d) The weather.
2. Why did Barrie enroll at Edinburgh University?
(a) He had always wanted to go to school here.
(b) He received a full scholarship.
(c) His parents felt that going to university would be good for him.
(d) His parents wanted him to follow the plan created for David.
3. Barrie was the ____________ child to David Barrie and Margaret Ogilvy.
4. Barrie decided to write about his mother's existence in the novel, ____________.
(a) My Margaret.
(c) My Mother, My Life.
(d) Margaret Ogilvy.
5. Birkin writes: "The engagement came as something of a surprise to their friends, for although Arthur and Sylvia made a spectacularly handsome couple, _____________ had virtually nothing in common." (Chapter 4 page 47).
(a) Their siblings.
(b) Their friends.
(d) Their families.
6. Who helped Barrie get his first literary job?
(a) Jane Ann.
7. The prologue begins by discussing the death of whom?
(a) Peter Llewellyn Davies.
(b) Michael Davies.
(c) Nico Davies.
(d) George Davies.
8. After _________ long years of courtship, the couple married.
9. In 1888, Barrie self published his first novel titled, __________.
(a) "Dead or Alive."
(b) "Better Dead."
(c) "Dead in the Family."
(d) "Dead Until Dark."
10. Did Barrie say he thought the play would be successful?
(a) No, he saw it as a waste of time.
(b) No, he saw it as a dream child.
(c) Yes, it would be an instant hit.
(d) Yes, but not for a long time.
11. What was James' favorite comic series?
(a) The Yellow Kid.
(b) Max and Moritz.
(c) Ally Sloper's Half Holiday.
(d) Penny Dreadfuls.
12. When did the play debut?
(a) November 22, 1904.
(b) September 22, 1904.
(c) October 22, 1904.
(d) December 22, 1904.
13. How did Davies die in 1960?
(a) He died from cancer.
(b) He jumped off a bridge.
(c) He overdosed.
(d) He stepped in front of an oncoming train.
14. What was The Nottingham Journal?
(a) A Scottish provincial newspaper.
(b) A Scottish magazine.
(c) An English provincial newspaper.
(d) An English magazine.
15. When was James Barrie born?
(a) June 9, 1860.
(b) April 9, 1860.
(c) May 9, 1860.
(d) July 9, 1860.
Short Answer Questions
1. Perhaps the highest point at this time in Barrie's life however was the beginning of a correspondence with whom?
2. Barrie had been working on the production of "The Wedding Guest," an Ibsen-like play that was ____________ the light hearted comedy, "The Little Minister."
3. Where did Barrie meet Sylvia Llewellyn Davies?
4. Barrie had a meeting with ______________ regarding the play.
5. Barrie began to tell Frohman about the play, which he had renamed what?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)