|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helped Barrie get his first literary job?
(b) Jane Ann.
2. What relationship helped James to gain much-needed self-confidence?
(a) The relationship with his younger sister Maggie.
(b) The relationship with his sister Sara.
(c) The relationship with his sister Jane Ann.
(d) The relationship with his older brother.
3. Barrie and Sylvia seemed to grow ever closer. Eventually Sylvia would be referred to by Barrie as what?
4. What was James' favorite comic series?
(a) Ally Sloper's Half Holiday.
(b) Max and Moritz.
(c) Penny Dreadfuls.
(d) The Yellow Kid.
5. What did David Barrie bring into the life of young James?
6. At age 17, how tall was Barrie?
(a) Five feet eight inches.
(b) Five feet ten inches.
(c) Six feet.
(d) Five feet.
7. Barrie had a meeting with ______________ regarding the play.
(a) Arthur Davies.
(b) Charles Frohman.
(c) George Meredith.
(d) Thomas Hardy.
8. Perhaps the highest point at this time in Barrie's life however was the beginning of a correspondence with whom?
(a) His future publisher, Charles Frohman.
(b) His soon-to-be best friend, Thomas Hardy.
(c) His hero, fellow Scotsman Robert Louis Stevenson.
(d) An actress named Minnie Palmer.
9. Ansell would soon find that Barrie desperately lacked what?
10. What happened when Frohman read the play?
(a) He worried about it.
(b) He fell in love immediately.
(c) He hated it.
(d) He regretted supporting it.
11. Edinburgh turned out to be the ______________ years of Barrie's life.
12. The births of the Llewelyn Davies boys are chronicled. George was born in 1893; Jack in 1894; Peter in 1897; Michael 1900; and _________ in 1903.
13. After seeing "Bandalero the Bandit", the clergyman denounced the play in a local newspaper, referring to it as grossly immoral. How did Barrie feel about this?
14. Barrie's nephew Charlie was the impetus for Barrie's creation of a character named ___________.
(b) Peter Pan.
(c) Captain Hook.
15. Barrie was the ____________ child to David Barrie and Margaret Ogilvy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barrie had been working on the production of "The Wedding Guest," an Ibsen-like play that was ____________ the light hearted comedy, "The Little Minister."
2. Within a few __________ of the meeting at the dinner party, the couple was engaged.
3. In 1882, Barrie returned to Kirriemuir with his _______ degree.
4. When was James Barrie born?
5. What was The Nottingham Journal?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)