|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barrie began to tell Frohman about the play, which he had renamed what?
(a) The Great White Way.
(b) The Great White.
(c) The Great.
(d) The Great White Father.
2. One of the first references to "Peter Pan" was Barrie's belief that all children were once _________ and so there had to be bars on the nursery windows in case the children would forget they could no longer fly.
3. What was James' favorite comic series?
(a) Penny Dreadfuls.
(b) Ally Sloper's Half Holiday.
(c) The Yellow Kid.
(d) Max and Moritz.
4. When was James Barrie born?
(a) May 9, 1860.
(b) July 9, 1860.
(c) April 9, 1860.
(d) June 9, 1860.
5. What was the working title of the play?
(a) Peter and Wendy.
(b) Peter Pan and Wendy Darling.
(c) Peter Pan and Wendy.
(d) Peter and Wendy Darling.
6. In 1882, Barrie returned to Kirriemuir with his _______ degree.
(d) Ph. D.
7. Birkin writes: "The engagement came as something of a surprise to their friends, for although Arthur and Sylvia made a spectacularly handsome couple, _____________ had virtually nothing in common." (Chapter 4 page 47).
(a) Their friends.
(b) Their siblings.
(d) Their families.
8. When did the play debut?
(a) September 22, 1904.
(b) November 22, 1904.
(c) December 22, 1904.
(d) October 22, 1904.
9. Barrie had a meeting with ______________ regarding the play.
(a) George Meredith.
(b) Thomas Hardy.
(c) Charles Frohman.
(d) Arthur Davies.
10. One friend, six-year-old Margaret Henley, can be credited with creating what name?
(a) Never Land.
(b) Peter Pan.
11. Ansell would soon find that Barrie desperately lacked what?
12. Who helped Barrie get his first literary job?
(b) Jane Ann.
13. What was one of the few things that seemed to console Margaret after David's death?
(a) He would remain a boy forever.
(b) He had not suffered.
(c) He was watching over them.
(d) He was in heaven.
14. Barrie wrote about Peter, who still had the ability to fly because of what reason?
(a) He had discovered fairy dust.
(b) He could not grow up.
(c) He did not weigh much.
(d) His mother did not weigh him down at birth.
15. Barrie named the book "The Boy Castaways of _________________ Island."
(a) Glass Lake.
(b) Green Lake.
(c) Black Lake.
(d) Blue Lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. James Barrie's father, David Barrie, was a ______________.
2. What was The Nottingham Journal?
3. Did Barrie say he thought the play would be successful?
4. At age 18, Barrie left Dumfries Academy. What did he want to do?
5. With what did Barrie have some bargaining power?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)