|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did David Barrie bring into the life of young James?
2. When was James Barrie born?
(a) July 9, 1860.
(b) May 9, 1860.
(c) April 9, 1860.
(d) June 9, 1860.
3. At age 18, Barrie left Dumfries Academy. What did he want to do?
(a) Return to Kirriemuir and become a writer.
(b) Go to university.
(c) Move to America.
(d) Travel the world.
4. Barrie began to tell Frohman about the play, which he had renamed what?
(a) The Great White.
(b) The Great White Way.
(c) The Great White Father.
(d) The Great.
5. What was the only argument between Frohman and James?
(a) Frohman wanted him to be a playwright and he wanted to be a novelist.
(b) Frohman wanted him to be a playwright and he wanted to be an actor.
(c) Frohman wanted him to be a novelist and he wanted to be a playwright.
(d) Frohman wanted him to be an actor and he wanted to be a playwright.
6. How did Frohman take on the play?
(a) Sight unseen.
(b) After much deliberation.
(c) After a workshop performance of the play.
(d) After reading through the play.
7. What was The Nottingham Journal?
(a) A Scottish provincial newspaper.
(b) An English provincial newspaper.
(c) An English magazine.
(d) A Scottish magazine.
8. Arthur Llewelyn Davies was one of _________ sons.
9. What seemed to intrigue Barrie the most while at school?
(b) The theater.
10. This book was more fanciful however, its design fashioned after ____________.
(a) The Coral Island.
(b) Staten Island.
(c) The Lost Island.
(d) The Solomon Islands.
11. The search for a country home had to finally yielded fruit for Mary. Mary had found a house in Surrey, known as ___________ Cottage.
(a) Blue Lake.
(b) Green Lake.
(c) Glass Lake.
(d) Black Lake.
12. In 1882, Barrie returned to Kirriemuir with his _______ degree.
(b) Ph. D.
13. Where did Barrie meet Sylvia Llewellyn Davies?
(a) An Easter dinner party.
(b) A birthday dinner party.
(c) A New Year's Eve dinner party.
(d) A Christmas dinner party.
14. One of the first references to "Peter Pan" was Barrie's belief that all children were once _________ and so there had to be bars on the nursery windows in case the children would forget they could no longer fly.
15. Who helped Barrie get his first literary job?
(a) Jane Ann.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 4 begins with the author speaking about the ___________ family who was, in fact, based on the family of Arthur and Sylvia Llewelyn Davies, parents to George and Jack.
2. James Barrie's father, David Barrie, was a ______________.
3. What was the working title of the play?
4. Barrie and Sylvia seemed to grow ever closer. Eventually Sylvia would be referred to by Barrie as what?
5. The first draft of the play, "Peter Pan," was finished ____________.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)