|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were all dubbed as Peter Pan in the press?
(a) Peter Davies and his sisters, Georgette, Jackie, Michelle, and Nicole.
(b) Peter Davies and his cousins, George, Jackie, Michael, and Nicole.
(c) Peter Davies and his brothers, George, Jack, Michael, and Nico.
(d) Peter Davies and his friends, George, Jack, Michael, and Nico.
2. Barrie decided to write about his mother's existence in the novel, ____________.
(a) Margaret Ogilvy.
(b) My Mother, My Life.
(d) My Margaret.
3. Who helped Barrie get his first literary job?
(c) Jane Ann.
4. When was James Barrie born?
(a) June 9, 1860.
(b) May 9, 1860.
(c) July 9, 1860.
(d) April 9, 1860.
5. One of the first references to "Peter Pan" was Barrie's belief that all children were once _________ and so there had to be bars on the nursery windows in case the children would forget they could no longer fly.
6. Which child was the apple of Margaret's eye?
(d) Jane Ann.
7. This book was more fanciful however, its design fashioned after ____________.
(a) Staten Island.
(b) The Coral Island.
(c) The Lost Island.
(d) The Solomon Islands.
8. It began to seem obvious that Arthur was ____________ thrilled with his family's involvement with Barrie.
(b) Not entirely.
9. Barrie had been working on the production of "The Wedding Guest," an Ibsen-like play that was ____________ the light hearted comedy, "The Little Minister."
(a) Almost like.
(b) Just like.
(c) Nothing like.
(d) Similar to.
10. What did George think of the appearance of Wendy?
(a) He was thrilled.
(b) He did not care.
(c) He was not thrilled.
(d) He was unsure.
11. The search for a country home had to finally yielded fruit for Mary. Mary had found a house in Surrey, known as ___________ Cottage.
(a) Blue Lake.
(b) Green Lake.
(c) Black Lake.
(d) Glass Lake.
12. Birkin writes: "The engagement came as something of a surprise to their friends, for although Arthur and Sylvia made a spectacularly handsome couple, _____________ had virtually nothing in common." (Chapter 4 page 47).
(a) Their friends.
(b) Their siblings.
(c) Their families.
13. The prologue begins by discussing the death of whom?
(a) George Davies.
(b) Michael Davies.
(c) Peter Llewellyn Davies.
(d) Nico Davies.
14. What was James' favorite comic series?
(a) The Yellow Kid.
(b) Penny Dreadfuls.
(c) Ally Sloper's Half Holiday.
(d) Max and Moritz.
15. Chapter 4 begins with the author speaking about the ___________ family who was, in fact, based on the family of Arthur and Sylvia Llewelyn Davies, parents to George and Jack.
Short Answer Questions
1. Edinburgh turned out to be the ______________ years of Barrie's life.
2. Sylvia had begun to earn money by working for whom?
3. Things changed for Barrie when in 1892, he met _______________, an actress who operated her own touring company.
4. Arthur, a young and rapidly rising barrister, met Sylvia du Maurier in 1889 where?
5. Where did Barrie meet Sylvia Llewellyn Davies?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)