|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Arthur's father not offered a bishopric?
(a) He had not completed his education.
(b) He went on a rant in front of Queen Victoria.
(c) He had been late to many church services.
(d) He left the church.
2. Who was the driving force in the Barrie family?
3. Why did Barrie call Sylvia this name?
(a) It is his favorite name.
(b) It is her middle name.
(c) He thought this was her name.
(d) He did not like the name Sylvia.
4. Barrie decided to write about his mother's existence in the novel, ____________.
(a) My Margaret.
(b) My Mother, My Life.
(c) Margaret Ogilvy.
5. Barrie had a meeting with ______________ regarding the play.
(a) Charles Frohman.
(b) Thomas Hardy.
(c) George Meredith.
(d) Arthur Davies.
6. At age 17, how tall was Barrie?
(a) Five feet ten inches.
(b) Five feet.
(c) Five feet eight inches.
(d) Six feet.
7. Arthur, a young and rapidly rising barrister, met Sylvia du Maurier in 1889 where?
(a) At a dinner party.
(b) At a play.
(c) At a ball.
(d) At the symphony.
8. In this book is the perhaps the first appearance of ______________, who was then known as Captain Swarthy.
(b) The crocodile.
(c) Captain Hook.
(d) Peter Pan.
9. What was the only argument between Frohman and James?
(a) Frohman wanted him to be an actor and he wanted to be a playwright.
(b) Frohman wanted him to be a playwright and he wanted to be a novelist.
(c) Frohman wanted him to be a novelist and he wanted to be a playwright.
(d) Frohman wanted him to be a playwright and he wanted to be an actor.
10. Which child was the apple of Margaret's eye?
(b) Jane Ann.
11. Why did Barrie enroll at Edinburgh University?
(a) His parents felt that going to university would be good for him.
(b) His parents wanted him to follow the plan created for David.
(c) He had always wanted to go to school here.
(d) He received a full scholarship.
12. Barrie and Sylvia seemed to grow ever closer. Eventually Sylvia would be referred to by Barrie as what?
13. Things changed for Barrie when in 1892, he met _______________, an actress who operated her own touring company.
(a) Minnie Palmer.
(b) Mary Ansell.
(c) Margaret Smith.
(d) Sylvia Davies.
14. One friend, six-year-old Margaret Henley, can be credited with creating what name?
(a) Peter Pan.
(b) Never Land.
15. It was obvious that Barrie was much more at home with ______________.
(a) Women than men.
(b) Children than adults.
(c) Adults than children.
(d) Men than women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seemed to intrigue Barrie the most while at school?
2. Barrie began to tell Frohman about the play, which he had renamed what?
3. Chapter 4 begins with the author speaking about the ___________ family who was, in fact, based on the family of Arthur and Sylvia Llewelyn Davies, parents to George and Jack.
4. After _________ long years of courtship, the couple married.
5. In 1888, Barrie self published his first novel titled, __________.
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)