|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barrie and Sylvia seemed to grow ever closer. Eventually Sylvia would be referred to by Barrie as what?
2. In 1888, Barrie self published his first novel titled, __________.
(a) "Dead or Alive."
(b) "Dead Until Dark."
(c) "Dead in the Family."
(d) "Better Dead."
3. What was the only argument between Frohman and James?
(a) Frohman wanted him to be a novelist and he wanted to be a playwright.
(b) Frohman wanted him to be an actor and he wanted to be a playwright.
(c) Frohman wanted him to be a playwright and he wanted to be an actor.
(d) Frohman wanted him to be a playwright and he wanted to be a novelist.
4. What did David Barrie bring into the life of young James?
5. The prologue begins by discussing the death of whom?
(a) Michael Davies.
(b) George Davies.
(c) Peter Llewellyn Davies.
(d) Nico Davies.
6. During the summer of Michael's ________ birthday, the Davies family rented a cottage at Tilford, which was a five-minute walk from their cottage.
7. Chapter 4 begins with the author speaking about the ___________ family who was, in fact, based on the family of Arthur and Sylvia Llewelyn Davies, parents to George and Jack.
8. Where was James Barrie born?
(a) Glasgow, Scotland.
(b) Kirriemuir, Scotland.
(c) East Kilbride, Scotland.
(d) Kirkcaldy, Scotland.
9. At age 17, how tall was Barrie?
(a) Six feet.
(b) Five feet.
(c) Five feet eight inches.
(d) Five feet ten inches.
10. What was The Nottingham Journal?
(a) A Scottish magazine.
(b) An English provincial newspaper.
(c) A Scottish provincial newspaper.
(d) An English magazine.
11. James' school friend, Stuart Gordon, adopted the name "Dare Devil Dick" and Barrie was ____________.
(a) "Sixteen String Jack."
(b) "Captain Jolly Jack."
(c) "Cowboy Jack."
(d) "Jack the Phantom."
12. What relationship helped James to gain much-needed self-confidence?
(a) The relationship with his older brother.
(b) The relationship with his sister Jane Ann.
(c) The relationship with his sister Sara.
(d) The relationship with his younger sister Maggie.
13. Why did Barrie call Sylvia this name?
(a) It is her middle name.
(b) It is his favorite name.
(c) He did not like the name Sylvia.
(d) He thought this was her name.
14. Barrie had been working on the production of "The Wedding Guest," an Ibsen-like play that was ____________ the light hearted comedy, "The Little Minister."
(a) Almost like.
(b) Similar to.
(c) Just like.
(d) Nothing like.
15. After _________ long years of courtship, the couple married.
Short Answer Questions
1. Perhaps the highest point at this time in Barrie's life however was the beginning of a correspondence with whom?
2. Barrie was the ____________ child to David Barrie and Margaret Ogilvy.
3. What seemed to intrigue Barrie the most while at school?
4. When did the play debut?
5. How did Frohman take on the play?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)