|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it custom for Alobar's kingdom to do once the ruler shows signs of age?
2. In plucking the hair, the king is fighting what?
3. Which character does Wren tell Alobar is pregnant?
4. What creature takes Noog one of the king's hairs?
5. Who tells Alobar to travel to the east of the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who have Madame Devalier and V'lu bought jasmine flowers from in the opening? How is this character described?
2. In Part I, what does Alobar say of death while speaking to the shaman?
3. What is taking place in New Orleans in the opening of Jitterbug Perfume?
4. How many storylines are established in Jitterbug Perfume? What are the settings of each?
5. What are the "fatal signals" of age in a king of Alobar's land?
6. Who appears at the spring where Alobar decides to rest for the night? What reason does this character give for being there?
7. What does Marcel tell Claude arrived during the opening? What is significant about this object?
8. Describe the character of Madame Lily Devalier. What is her profession? How long has she been in this business?
9. In Part I, what does the shaman tell Alobar he must do?
10. What is the "King of the Bean" custom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the four simultaneous plot lines in Jitterbug Perfume. How do these separate plots converge in the novel? What themes are revealed throughout each?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Self Reliance and Independent Thought" in Jitterbug Perfume. Where is this theme illuminated? Which characters represent this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Jitterbug Perfume to Homer's The Odyssey. Which characters are reflective of the earlier epic? What stylistic elements are similar between the two texts?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)