|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Jim Bridger's friend that he persuaded to come out to Fort Bridger and be partners with him?
2. What was located in the corner of Mrs. Bridger's room?
3. In Chapter 14, when Bridger decided to "set his moccasins on a new trail" his experience was likened to that of whom?
4. In Chapter 14, Jim Bridger is described as being as slick as what?
5. When Sir George bought cattle, how much did he spend per head?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the snow was gone and Bridger got ready to set out with Sir George Gore on the trail to Yellowstone, what did they bring with them?
2. What did one man offer Jim Bridger after he told the story of the big diamond on top of a mountain that could be seen from fifty miles away?
3. Why did Jim Bridger's stay at home in Chapter 22 not last long?
4. Why did the Indians give Jim Bridger the name of "Big Throat"?
5. In Chapter 22, what did the Army pay Jim Bridger and what supplies did they provide to him?
6. What is the reason that historians give for the quarrel between Brigham Young and Jim Bridger?
7. What happened to the artist and correspondent named Ridgeway Glover who went on a walk unarmed one afternoon?
8. In 1846, which party stopped by Fort Bridger and why?
9. What are some of the things that Jim Bridger did to help the Mormons and their leader, Brigham Young?
10. What did Jim Bridger know the first duty of a chief or an officer was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events that led up to Jim Bridger receiving two arrows in his back in Chapter 8. Why did Bridger receive these arrows to the back? Do you think they were deserved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14 Jim Bridger is quoted as saying, "If you betray timidity or indecision, you convert them from that moment into insidious and dangerous enemies." Who was Bridger referring to in this statement, and what did he mean?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sir George Gore. What were some characteristics that stood out to you about George Gore as you read the book? Why do you think George Gore and Jim Bridger became fast friends? What are some similarities between Gore and Bridger? Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)