|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day of the year was Jim Bridger enrolled as Chief Guide at Fort Kearney?
2. What place was the largest trading post in the West?
3. What did Joseph Meek say carried Jim's daughter away?
4. In Chapter 14, the emigrants were liked to school boys lost where?
5. What was the name of Joseph Meek's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did one man offer Jim Bridger after he told the story of the big diamond on top of a mountain that could be seen from fifty miles away?
2. Why did the Indians give Jim Bridger the name of "Big Throat"?
3. In Chapter 22, what did the Army pay Jim Bridger and what supplies did they provide to him?
4. When Bridger built Fort Bridger, he built four log cabins within the stockade. What were these four cabins for?
5. What were some of Sir George Gore's morning habits?
6. What was Fetterman's scheme to trick the enemy?
7. In the winter of 1847, why did Joseph Meek come to visit Bridger?
8. Which tribes came to the treaty grounds of Fort Laramie, and who were some of the well known Indians that attended?
9. How did Shotwell describe Jim Bridger in Chapter 24?
10. In Chapter 18, what was the first move the Saints tried to make on the Mountain men, and what happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Jim Bridger and other Mountain Men benefited in knowing and working with the Indian tribes. Describe how the Indian tribes benefited from knowing and working with the Mountain men. Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the theme of independence is revealed in the book. There is a boat named the Independence mentioned in Chapter 1. How does this vessel tie in with Jim Bridger's development of his own independence in Chapter 1? How does Bridger's independence increase during the course of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 14 Jim Bridger is quoted as saying, "If you betray timidity or indecision, you convert them from that moment into insidious and dangerous enemies." Who was Bridger referring to in this statement, and what did he mean?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)