|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men did Sir George Gore have in his entourage?
2. What year did Gore pack up his things and move to Tongue River?
3. How long was the dog-run or tunnel in Fort Laramie?
4. General Connor ordered his men to kill any male over the age of what?
5. What would gnaw on the saddles and harnesses that the greenhorns left out at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the snow was gone and Bridger got ready to set out with Sir George Gore on the trail to Yellowstone, what did they bring with them?
2. What are some of the things that Jim Bridger did to help the Mormons and their leader, Brigham Young?
3. How did Shotwell describe Jim Bridger in Chapter 24?
4. What idea did Bridger develop when he experienced a number of emigrants coming to Fort Laramie?
5. What were some of the mistakes that tourists made that stopped by Fort Bridger?
6. In the winter of 1847, why did Joseph Meek come to visit Bridger?
7. In Chapter 16, Bridger weny out with Kit Carson in the spring to what places?
8. What quality Chapter 21 did Jim Bridger have that made him superior to other Mountain Men?
9. What were some of Sir George Gore's morning habits?
10. Why did the Indians give Jim Bridger the name of "Big Throat"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many individuals in this book besides Jim Bridger. Who was one of your favorite people and why? What influences did this person have on Jim Bridger? How did Jim Bridger play a role in this person's life? What qualities did this person have that you liked and could relate to?
Essay Topic 2
What new things did you learn from this book about Mountain Men and the way they lived and survived? What things surprised you or enlightened you about Jim Bridger's way of life? Use specific information to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sir George Gore. What were some characteristics that stood out to you about George Gore as you read the book? Why do you think George Gore and Jim Bridger became fast friends? What are some similarities between Gore and Bridger? Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)