|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 26, who said he was "sure a single company of regulars could whip a thousand Indians"?
2. In what year did General Grenville M. Dodge summon Jim Bridger to act as Chief of Scouts?
3. When Parkman's story and words were referred to in Chapter 14, he mentioned that the water was alive with dogs, horses, and what?
4. When Jim Bridger arrived at his home in Santa Fe, he had a son named what?
5. What time did Sir George Gore usually sleep until in the morning?
Essay Topic 1
Every year the Mountain Men would gather together in a specific spot for a rendezvous. What was the purpose of these rendezvouses, and what happened during these gatherings? Use specific information from the book in your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Indians as seen through Jim Bridger's eyes. What qualities did Bridger admire in the Indians? What tribes were known as friends to Bridger? Describe the Indians as seen through the U.S. government's eyes? How do these two views differ and why?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Jim Bridger have to look after his sister when he was young? What events and struggles in Jim Bridger's life forced him to become a man sooner than other boys might have? How did these help Bridger become a good Mountain Man? Use information from the book to explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)