|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 20, where did President Buchanan order troops to be sent?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 22, Jim Bridger is discharged on the last day of what month in 1865?
3. When Jim Bridger opened his gate after hearing someone knock, which of his friends was there?
4. The trail Jim Bridger proposed would later be the route of the Overland Stage, the Union Pacific Railroad, and what else?
5. What was the date Jim Bridger leased his claim to Fort Bridger to the government?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Bridger weny out with Kit Carson in the spring to what places?
2. What quality Chapter 21 did Jim Bridger have that made him superior to other Mountain Men?
3. What did one man offer Jim Bridger after he told the story of the big diamond on top of a mountain that could be seen from fifty miles away?
4. How did Jim Bridger excel at trailing?
5. In Chapter 17, when the Cheyenne Indians brought the two scalps and offered them back to the Snake Indians, what happened?
6. When Bridger built Fort Bridger, he built four log cabins within the stockade. What were these four cabins for?
7. What was Fetterman's scheme to trick the enemy?
8. Why did the Indians give Jim Bridger the name of "Big Throat"?
9. What was Jim Bridger's motto in Chapter 21?
10. When the snow was gone and Bridger got ready to set out with Sir George Gore on the trail to Yellowstone, what did they bring with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many individuals in this book besides Jim Bridger. Who was one of your favorite people and why? What influences did this person have on Jim Bridger? How did Jim Bridger play a role in this person's life? What qualities did this person have that you liked and could relate to?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the theme of independence is revealed in the book. There is a boat named the Independence mentioned in Chapter 1. How does this vessel tie in with Jim Bridger's development of his own independence in Chapter 1? How does Bridger's independence increase during the course of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the reasons given in the book to why Jim Bridger and Brigham Young didn't get along? What do you feel were reasons for the animosity between Bridger and Young? Do you think animosity is the right word? What other words would describe the relationship between Bridger and Brigham Young? Do you think these two individuals could have ever been friends? Why or why not?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)