|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. General Connor ordered his men to kill any male over the age of what?
2. What place was the largest trading post in the West?
3. What had Mrs. Bridger lost in Chapter 16, that one of the groups of travelers had given her?
4. When Parkman's story and words were referred to in Chapter 14, he mentioned that the water was alive with dogs, horses, and what?
5. What time did Sir George Gore usually sleep until in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that Jim Bridger did to help the Mormons and their leader, Brigham Young?
2. In Chapter 18, what was the first move the Saints tried to make on the Mountain men, and what happened?
3. What quality Chapter 21 did Jim Bridger have that made him superior to other Mountain Men?
4. Why did the Indians give Jim Bridger the name of "Big Throat"?
5. What were some of Sir George Gore's morning habits?
6. What happened to the artist and correspondent named Ridgeway Glover who went on a walk unarmed one afternoon?
7. When Bridger built Fort Bridger, he built four log cabins within the stockade. What were these four cabins for?
8. What idea did Bridger develop when he experienced a number of emigrants coming to Fort Laramie?
9. How did Jim Bridger excel at trailing?
10. How did Shotwell describe Jim Bridger in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim Bridger and Tom Fitzpatrick were old friends that had been through a lot together. Name some of the stories that Bridger and Fitzpatrick were involved with. How important do you think it was to have a long lasting camaraderie in the wilderness?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Indians as seen through Jim Bridger's eyes. What qualities did Bridger admire in the Indians? What tribes were known as friends to Bridger? Describe the Indians as seen through the U.S. government's eyes? How do these two views differ and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jim Bridger. What are some of his strengths and weaknesses? How does the author describe Jim Bridger's physical appearance? What kind of inner qualities did Bridger possess? Why physical characteristics did Bridger have that made him a good Mountain Man? Explain your answers and use specific information from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)