|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Bridger they wanted him to find a more direct route for wagons from Fort Bridger to the South Platte.
2. Who described Jim Bridger as having the eyes of an eagle in Chapter 22?
3. What was the name of the paper where almost a whole page was dedicated to Jim Bridger?
4. How long was the dog-run or tunnel in Fort Laramie?
5. When the rest of the men came in after Joseph Meek, what did Jim Bridger fix for them to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jim Bridger know the first duty of a chief or an officer was?
2. What idea did Bridger develop when he experienced a number of emigrants coming to Fort Laramie?
3. What are some of the things that Jim Bridger did to help the Mormons and their leader, Brigham Young?
4. When Bridger built Fort Bridger, he built four log cabins within the stockade. What were these four cabins for?
5. In Chapter 17, when the Cheyenne Indians brought the two scalps and offered them back to the Snake Indians, what happened?
6. How did Shotwell describe Jim Bridger in Chapter 24?
7. In the winter of 1847, why did Joseph Meek come to visit Bridger?
8. In Chapter 22, what did the Army pay Jim Bridger and what supplies did they provide to him?
9. In Chapter 16, Bridger weny out with Kit Carson in the spring to what places?
10. What is the reason that historians give for the quarrel between Brigham Young and Jim Bridger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 14, the gospel of the frontier is said to have been, "Hell's full of greenhorns." What are greenhorns, and what do you think the frontiersmen or Mountain men meant by this "gospel" or statement?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sir George Gore. What were some characteristics that stood out to you about George Gore as you read the book? Why do you think George Gore and Jim Bridger became fast friends? What are some similarities between Gore and Bridger? Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Give an account of Hugh Glass and what happened after he was attacked by a grizzly bear. What emotions do you think Glass experienced when he knew Bridger and Fitzgerald had left him stranded with no weapon or food or help? How do you think these emotions were different from what he first felt for these men when they volunteered to stay behind with Glass? What emotions do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald experienced when they left Glass to fend for himself? What kind of characteristics did Glass have that shone through and helped him through this terrible time? How do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald felt when they saw Glass for the first time after abandoning him?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)