|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jim Bridger find on the side of a trail that had Indian signs marked on them?
2. Chapter 16 mentions a cold afternoon when Bridger's dogs began to bark. Bridger peers through his loophole and sees how many dark figures?
3. How many men did Sir George Gore have in his entourage?
4. What was the name of the paper where almost a whole page was dedicated to Jim Bridger?
5. The summer of 1842, Bourdeaux was in charge at Fort Laramie with how many clerks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened that let Bridger see a chance for official backing concerning the Hot Springs, geysers, lake, and Fire Hole River?
2. In Chapter 17, when the Cheyenne Indians brought the two scalps and offered them back to the Snake Indians, what happened?
3. What quality Chapter 21 did Jim Bridger have that made him superior to other Mountain Men?
4. What was Fetterman's scheme to trick the enemy?
5. What did Jim Bridger know the first duty of a chief or an officer was?
6. In Chapter 18, what was the first move the Saints tried to make on the Mountain men, and what happened?
7. What were some of the mistakes that tourists made that stopped by Fort Bridger?
8. What were some of Sir George Gore's morning habits?
9. What was Jim Bridger's motto in Chapter 21?
10. What idea did Bridger develop when he experienced a number of emigrants coming to Fort Laramie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think, as the years went by and towards the end of the book, there was more hostility between the white man and the Indians? What events and factors contributed to the crumbling relationship between the two races? What things do you think could have been done to mend the relationship between Indians and the white man? Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
There were many individuals in this book besides Jim Bridger. Who was one of your favorite people and why? What influences did this person have on Jim Bridger? How did Jim Bridger play a role in this person's life? What qualities did this person have that you liked and could relate to?
Essay Topic 3
Give an account of Hugh Glass and what happened after he was attacked by a grizzly bear. What emotions do you think Glass experienced when he knew Bridger and Fitzgerald had left him stranded with no weapon or food or help? How do you think these emotions were different from what he first felt for these men when they volunteered to stay behind with Glass? What emotions do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald experienced when they left Glass to fend for himself? What kind of characteristics did Glass have that shone through and helped him through this terrible time? How do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald felt when they saw Glass for the first time after abandoning him?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)