|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was located in the corner of Mrs. Bridger's room?
2. General Connor ordered his men to kill any male over the age of what?
3. Sir George Gore would go out alone or with how many companions to hunt after his morning routine?
4. Who did the Indians say "talked sense and told the truth"?
5. What time did Sir George Gore usually sleep until in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What idea did Bridger develop when he experienced a number of emigrants coming to Fort Laramie?
2. What quality Chapter 21 did Jim Bridger have that made him superior to other Mountain Men?
3. In Chapter 16, Bridger weny out with Kit Carson in the spring to what places?
4. What did one man offer Jim Bridger after he told the story of the big diamond on top of a mountain that could be seen from fifty miles away?
5. When Bridger built Fort Bridger, he built four log cabins within the stockade. What were these four cabins for?
6. What happened to the artist and correspondent named Ridgeway Glover who went on a walk unarmed one afternoon?
7. What was Fetterman's scheme to trick the enemy?
8. Describe Fort Laramie.
9. How did Jim Bridger excel at trailing?
10. In Chapter 17, when the Cheyenne Indians brought the two scalps and offered them back to the Snake Indians, what happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many individuals in this book besides Jim Bridger. Who was one of your favorite people and why? What influences did this person have on Jim Bridger? How did Jim Bridger play a role in this person's life? What qualities did this person have that you liked and could relate to?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, the gospel of the frontier is said to have been, "Hell's full of greenhorns." What are greenhorns, and what do you think the frontiersmen or Mountain men meant by this "gospel" or statement?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the reasons given in the book to why Jim Bridger and Brigham Young didn't get along? What do you feel were reasons for the animosity between Bridger and Young? Do you think animosity is the right word? What other words would describe the relationship between Bridger and Brigham Young? Do you think these two individuals could have ever been friends? Why or why not?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)