|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sir George Gore would go out alone or with how many companions to hunt after his morning routine?
2. Who was in charge of Connor's column that was headed northwest from the Lower Platte?
3. How much did Jim Bridger make per day working as a guide for the Army of Utah?
4. In Chapter 26, there wasn't enough ammunition for what?
5. How many days did the Donner party stop at Fort Bridger?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the snow was gone and Bridger got ready to set out with Sir George Gore on the trail to Yellowstone, what did they bring with them?
2. What did Jim Bridger know the first duty of a chief or an officer was?
3. What was Jim Bridger's motto in Chapter 21?
4. What idea did Bridger develop when he experienced a number of emigrants coming to Fort Laramie?
5. Describe Fort Laramie.
6. In Chapter 16, Bridger weny out with Kit Carson in the spring to what places?
7. Which tribes came to the treaty grounds of Fort Laramie, and who were some of the well known Indians that attended?
8. How did Shotwell describe Jim Bridger in Chapter 24?
9. What did one man offer Jim Bridger after he told the story of the big diamond on top of a mountain that could be seen from fifty miles away?
10. What were some of the mistakes that tourists made that stopped by Fort Bridger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Jim Bridger and other Mountain Men benefited in knowing and working with the Indian tribes. Describe how the Indian tribes benefited from knowing and working with the Mountain men. Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
There are many events and stories in this book. Describe one of your favorite or most memorable events in the book. Why did this particular story appeal to you? Who was involved in this event, and what kind of joys, struggles, or tragedies were faced in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the theme of independence is revealed in the book. There is a boat named the Independence mentioned in Chapter 1. How does this vessel tie in with Jim Bridger's development of his own independence in Chapter 1? How does Bridger's independence increase during the course of the book?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)