|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days did the Donner party stop at Fort Bridger?
2. In Chapter 14, the emigrants were liked to school boys lost where?
3. Who believed Americans had a false notion of war?
4. When Jim Bridger opened his gate after hearing someone knock, which of his friends was there?
5. What had Mrs. Bridger lost in Chapter 16, that one of the groups of travelers had given her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened that let Bridger see a chance for official backing concerning the Hot Springs, geysers, lake, and Fire Hole River?
2. What were some of Sir George Gore's morning habits?
3. What did one man offer Jim Bridger after he told the story of the big diamond on top of a mountain that could be seen from fifty miles away?
4. What quality Chapter 21 did Jim Bridger have that made him superior to other Mountain Men?
5. How did Shotwell describe Jim Bridger in Chapter 24?
6. In Chapter 18, what was the first move the Saints tried to make on the Mountain men, and what happened?
7. What were some of the mistakes that tourists made that stopped by Fort Bridger?
8. Why did the Indians give Jim Bridger the name of "Big Throat"?
9. In the winter of 1847, why did Joseph Meek come to visit Bridger?
10. Why did Jim Bridger's stay at home in Chapter 22 not last long?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many individuals in this book besides Jim Bridger. Who was one of your favorite people and why? What influences did this person have on Jim Bridger? How did Jim Bridger play a role in this person's life? What qualities did this person have that you liked and could relate to?
Essay Topic 2
There are many events and stories in this book. Describe one of your favorite or most memorable events in the book. Why did this particular story appeal to you? Who was involved in this event, and what kind of joys, struggles, or tragedies were faced in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jim Bridger. What are some of his strengths and weaknesses? How does the author describe Jim Bridger's physical appearance? What kind of inner qualities did Bridger possess? Why physical characteristics did Bridger have that made him a good Mountain Man? Explain your answers and use specific information from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)