|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joseph Meek say carried Jim's daughter away?
2. In Parkman's words, the poles that were used to erect the lodges were carried by what?
3. When Sir George bought cattle, how much did he spend per head?
4. What was the name of the Cheyenne chief in Chapter 25?
5. Who was John C. Fremont's topographer?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the snow was gone and Bridger got ready to set out with Sir George Gore on the trail to Yellowstone, what did they bring with them?
2. What happened to the artist and correspondent named Ridgeway Glover who went on a walk unarmed one afternoon?
3. What were some of Sir George Gore's morning habits?
4. What are some of the things that Jim Bridger did to help the Mormons and their leader, Brigham Young?
5. In Chapter 17, when the Cheyenne Indians brought the two scalps and offered them back to the Snake Indians, what happened?
6. What quality Chapter 21 did Jim Bridger have that made him superior to other Mountain Men?
7. How did Shotwell describe Jim Bridger in Chapter 24?
8. In the winter of 1847, why did Joseph Meek come to visit Bridger?
9. What was Jim Bridger's motto in Chapter 21?
10. In Chapter 18, what was the first move the Saints tried to make on the Mountain men, and what happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Jim Bridger have to look after his sister when he was young? What events and struggles in Jim Bridger's life forced him to become a man sooner than other boys might have? How did these help Bridger become a good Mountain Man? Use information from the book to explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Give an account of Hugh Glass and what happened after he was attacked by a grizzly bear. What emotions do you think Glass experienced when he knew Bridger and Fitzgerald had left him stranded with no weapon or food or help? How do you think these emotions were different from what he first felt for these men when they volunteered to stay behind with Glass? What emotions do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald experienced when they left Glass to fend for himself? What kind of characteristics did Glass have that shone through and helped him through this terrible time? How do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald felt when they saw Glass for the first time after abandoning him?
Essay Topic 3
Jim Bridger and Tom Fitzpatrick were old friends that had been through a lot together. Name some of the stories that Bridger and Fitzpatrick were involved with. How important do you think it was to have a long lasting camaraderie in the wilderness?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)