|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the Indians say "talked sense and told the truth"?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 20, where did President Buchanan order troops to be sent?
3. On what day of the year was Jim Bridger enrolled as Chief Guide at Fort Kearney?
4. Where did Jim Bridger travel to give his opinion of the Mormons?
5. Jim Bridger once told a group of eager treasure hunters that on the top of a mountain they could find a great big what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Fetterman's scheme to trick the enemy?
2. In Chapter 16, Bridger weny out with Kit Carson in the spring to what places?
3. In Chapter 17, when the Cheyenne Indians brought the two scalps and offered them back to the Snake Indians, what happened?
4. Describe Fort Laramie.
5. What is the reason that historians give for the quarrel between Brigham Young and Jim Bridger?
6. What were some of Sir George Gore's morning habits?
7. How did Jim Bridger excel at trailing?
8. What happened that let Bridger see a chance for official backing concerning the Hot Springs, geysers, lake, and Fire Hole River?
9. Which tribes came to the treaty grounds of Fort Laramie, and who were some of the well known Indians that attended?
10. Why did Jim Bridger's stay at home in Chapter 22 not last long?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Jim Bridger and other Mountain Men benefited in knowing and working with the Indian tribes. Describe how the Indian tribes benefited from knowing and working with the Mountain men. Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, the gospel of the frontier is said to have been, "Hell's full of greenhorns." What are greenhorns, and what do you think the frontiersmen or Mountain men meant by this "gospel" or statement?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Jim Bridger have to look after his sister when he was young? What events and struggles in Jim Bridger's life forced him to become a man sooner than other boys might have? How did these help Bridger become a good Mountain Man? Use information from the book to explain your reasoning.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)