|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bridger left Fort Leramie, he rode back to Fort Bridger where he married a woman from what tribe?
2. The trail Jim Bridger proposed would later be the route of the Overland Stage, the Union Pacific Railroad, and what else?
3. When Sir George Gore ordered all the irons raked from the ashes, where did he ask the men to throw them?
4. Who described Jim Bridger as having the eyes of an eagle in Chapter 22?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 14, Bridger and his men were riding over a ridge and the greenhorns mistook them for who?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Indians as seen through Jim Bridger's eyes. What qualities did Bridger admire in the Indians? What tribes were known as friends to Bridger? Describe the Indians as seen through the U.S. government's eyes? How do these two views differ and why?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14 Jim Bridger is quoted as saying, "If you betray timidity or indecision, you convert them from that moment into insidious and dangerous enemies." Who was Bridger referring to in this statement, and what did he mean?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 14, the gospel of the frontier is said to have been, "Hell's full of greenhorns." What are greenhorns, and what do you think the frontiersmen or Mountain men meant by this "gospel" or statement?
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)