|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bridger was interviewed by a newspaper editor, but the editors friend told him not to take any stock in what?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 22, Jim Bridger is discharged on the last day of what month in 1865?
3. In Chapter 14, when Bridger decided to "set his moccasins on a new trail" his experience was likened to that of whom?
4. What place was the largest trading post in the West?
5. Who was Sir George Gore's favorite author?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1846, which party stopped by Fort Bridger and why?
2. When Bridger built Fort Bridger, he built four log cabins within the stockade. What were these four cabins for?
3. Why did the Indians give Jim Bridger the name of "Big Throat"?
4. Which tribes came to the treaty grounds of Fort Laramie, and who were some of the well known Indians that attended?
5. What quality Chapter 21 did Jim Bridger have that made him superior to other Mountain Men?
6. In the winter of 1847, why did Joseph Meek come to visit Bridger?
7. In Chapter 22, what did the Army pay Jim Bridger and what supplies did they provide to him?
8. How did Jim Bridger excel at trailing?
9. What were some of the mistakes that tourists made that stopped by Fort Bridger?
10. What was Jim Bridger's motto in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Jim Bridger have to look after his sister when he was young? What events and struggles in Jim Bridger's life forced him to become a man sooner than other boys might have? How did these help Bridger become a good Mountain Man? Use information from the book to explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Give an account of Hugh Glass and what happened after he was attacked by a grizzly bear. What emotions do you think Glass experienced when he knew Bridger and Fitzgerald had left him stranded with no weapon or food or help? How do you think these emotions were different from what he first felt for these men when they volunteered to stay behind with Glass? What emotions do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald experienced when they left Glass to fend for himself? What kind of characteristics did Glass have that shone through and helped him through this terrible time? How do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald felt when they saw Glass for the first time after abandoning him?
Essay Topic 3
There were many individuals in this book besides Jim Bridger. Who was one of your favorite people and why? What influences did this person have on Jim Bridger? How did Jim Bridger play a role in this person's life? What qualities did this person have that you liked and could relate to?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)