|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, when Bridger decided to "set his moccasins on a new trail" his experience was likened to that of whom?
2. The words "Hell's full of greenhorns" was known as what?
3. Who was Jim Bridger's friend that he persuaded to come out to Fort Bridger and be partners with him?
4. Jim Bridger once told a group of eager treasure hunters that on the top of a mountain they could find a great big what?
5. What did the emigrants call the trappers and traders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the artist and correspondent named Ridgeway Glover who went on a walk unarmed one afternoon?
2. What idea did Bridger develop when he experienced a number of emigrants coming to Fort Laramie?
3. What quality Chapter 21 did Jim Bridger have that made him superior to other Mountain Men?
4. Why did Jim Bridger's stay at home in Chapter 22 not last long?
5. What were some of Sir George Gore's morning habits?
6. When Bridger built Fort Bridger, he built four log cabins within the stockade. What were these four cabins for?
7. What happened that let Bridger see a chance for official backing concerning the Hot Springs, geysers, lake, and Fire Hole River?
8. What was Jim Bridger's motto in Chapter 21?
9. In 1846, which party stopped by Fort Bridger and why?
10. In Chapter 16, Bridger weny out with Kit Carson in the spring to what places?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of Jim Bridger to the United States. Describe Jim Bridger's importance to travelers and explorers that had never traveled "out west." How did the nation and individuals benefit from knowing and working with Jim Bridger?
Essay Topic 2
Jim Bridger and Tom Fitzpatrick were old friends that had been through a lot together. Name some of the stories that Bridger and Fitzpatrick were involved with. How important do you think it was to have a long lasting camaraderie in the wilderness?
Essay Topic 3
What new things did you learn from this book about Mountain Men and the way they lived and survived? What things surprised you or enlightened you about Jim Bridger's way of life? Use specific information to support your answers.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)