|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Indians and Mountain men always hunted for what two reasons?
2. In what year did General Grenville M. Dodge summon Jim Bridger to act as Chief of Scouts?
3. When Jim Bridger arrived at his home in Santa Fe, he had a son named what?
4. Jim Bridger once told a group of eager treasure hunters that on the top of a mountain they could find a great big what?
5. In the opening of Chapter 16, where was Brigham Young's caravan headed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 17, when the Cheyenne Indians brought the two scalps and offered them back to the Snake Indians, what happened?
2. What quality Chapter 21 did Jim Bridger have that made him superior to other Mountain Men?
3. Why did Jim Bridger's stay at home in Chapter 22 not last long?
4. What happened to the artist and correspondent named Ridgeway Glover who went on a walk unarmed one afternoon?
5. How did Jim Bridger excel at trailing?
6. When Bridger built Fort Bridger, he built four log cabins within the stockade. What were these four cabins for?
7. Which tribes came to the treaty grounds of Fort Laramie, and who were some of the well known Indians that attended?
8. What did one man offer Jim Bridger after he told the story of the big diamond on top of a mountain that could be seen from fifty miles away?
9. What was Fetterman's scheme to trick the enemy?
10. In the winter of 1847, why did Joseph Meek come to visit Bridger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What new things did you learn from this book about Mountain Men and the way they lived and survived? What things surprised you or enlightened you about Jim Bridger's way of life? Use specific information to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sir George Gore. What were some characteristics that stood out to you about George Gore as you read the book? Why do you think George Gore and Jim Bridger became fast friends? What are some similarities between Gore and Bridger? Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events that led up to Jim Bridger receiving two arrows in his back in Chapter 8. Why did Bridger receive these arrows to the back? Do you think they were deserved? Why or why not?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)