|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles away from Fort Kiowa was Hugh Glass when he came to on the Grand River?
2. When Old Ephraim ran across the Prince Maximilian party, how many rifle's worth of lead did he carry off with him?
3. What kind of animal was Old Ephraim?
4. Jim Bridger was a born what?
5. Washington Irving wrote about Sublette's brigade on the march. What does Washington write about Sublette's arm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of Jim Bridger's discoveries in Chapter 6?
2. What significance did Dr. Marcus Whitman have in Jim Bridger's life?
3. Why did Joseph Meek shoot a young brave in Chapter 12?
4. Why did Captain Sir William Drummond Stuart make people stare?
5. Describe the area known as Pierre's Hole or Teton Basin.
6. What kinds of jobs did Jim Bridger first hold to help support himself and his sister?
7. In Chapter 3, as soon as the fort was built, Bridger set out with the other men to hunt and trap. What kind of animals does Bridger say they hunted or trapped?
8. Why did the Crow chief come into Bridger's camp with forty men to request a truce?
9. While Joseph Meek was marching with the Crow Indians, what did the squaws do to Meek amuse themselves?
10. During the months when finding beavers and hunting furs wasn't easy, what kind of work did the men do so that they would still have work during the winters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What new things did you learn from this book about Mountain Men and the way they lived and survived? What things surprised you or enlightened you about Jim Bridger's way of life? Use specific information to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of Jim Bridger to the United States. Describe Jim Bridger's importance to travelers and explorers that had never traveled "out west." How did the nation and individuals benefit from knowing and working with Jim Bridger?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sir George Gore. What were some characteristics that stood out to you about George Gore as you read the book? Why do you think George Gore and Jim Bridger became fast friends? What are some similarities between Gore and Bridger? Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)