|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, it was mentioned that on average about one Mountain man was killed every how many days?
2. What did the Crow chief tell Joseph Meek he needed to do in order to live?
3. Jim carried a small horn vial on his belt filled with what?
4. How much was the fur harvest with that Captain William Sublette headed back to St. Louis with?
5. What was a booshway?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Colonel Leavenworth arrived at Fort Recovery, why was the Colonel looking glum?
2. Even though beaver pelts were still plentiful, the Rocky Mountain Fur Company was struggling. What were some of the reasons for these struggles?
3. While Joseph Meek was marching with the Crow Indians, what did the squaws do to Meek amuse themselves?
4. Who hated the American Fur Company and why?
5. Why was the gift of being an explorer such an important asset to a fur trader?
6. Describe what the spot looked like where the Mississippi River meets the Missouri River, according to Jim Bridger.
7. Why was it important for Jim to know more than the lay out or topography of the land?
8. Describe the area known as Pierre's Hole or Teton Basin.
9. Who was the bear that Prince Maximilian spoke of, and what was the story of this great bear?
10. What happened when Joseph Meek laid down Sally so that he could live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim Bridger and Tom Fitzpatrick were old friends that had been through a lot together. Name some of the stories that Bridger and Fitzpatrick were involved with. How important do you think it was to have a long lasting camaraderie in the wilderness?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Jim Bridger and other Mountain Men benefited in knowing and working with the Indian tribes. Describe how the Indian tribes benefited from knowing and working with the Mountain men. Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
There were many individuals in this book besides Jim Bridger. Who was one of your favorite people and why? What influences did this person have on Jim Bridger? How did Jim Bridger play a role in this person's life? What qualities did this person have that you liked and could relate to?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)