|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the young Crow warrior strike Joseph Meek's wife with?
2. What did Jim Bridger's father do?
3. In Chapter 5, who was called an "ornery skunk"?
4. What did being a free trapper mean for Jim?
5. Who did Jim apprentice in a blacksmith shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Old Glass was injured by a bear, why couldn't he travel with the men, and what was the solution the men came up with?
2. In the old days of rendezvous trappers, how did the trappers live like lords?
3. In Chapter 4, what two traits were to be respected among the Indians?
4. Why was it when a Grizzly bear has seen a person that the person is generally unable to get away?
5. What kinds of jobs did Jim Bridger first hold to help support himself and his sister?
6. Who hated the American Fur Company and why?
7. Where did the Atsena Indians get their name of Big Bellies from?
8. Why was it important for Jim to know more than the lay out or topography of the land?
9. Who was the bear that Prince Maximilian spoke of, and what was the story of this great bear?
10. While Joseph Meek was marching with the Crow Indians, what did the squaws do to Meek amuse themselves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the theme of independence is revealed in the book. There is a boat named the Independence mentioned in Chapter 1. How does this vessel tie in with Jim Bridger's development of his own independence in Chapter 1? How does Bridger's independence increase during the course of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think, as the years went by and towards the end of the book, there was more hostility between the white man and the Indians? What events and factors contributed to the crumbling relationship between the two races? What things do you think could have been done to mend the relationship between Indians and the white man? Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the reasons given in the book to why Jim Bridger and Brigham Young didn't get along? What do you feel were reasons for the animosity between Bridger and Young? Do you think animosity is the right word? What other words would describe the relationship between Bridger and Brigham Young? Do you think these two individuals could have ever been friends? Why or why not?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)