|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim Bridger was a born what?
2. Some of the older trappers had advantages over Jim. Who was a better businessman than Jim?
3. Even though Bridger was hospitable and generous, he was not fond of what?
4. What would happen if a greenhorn set up drinks for all the old-timers?
5. When Joseph Meek headed out of camp alone on what day out of camp did the Crows catch up with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Jim Bridger got older what health problems did he develop?
2. In Chapter 22, what did the Army pay Jim Bridger and what supplies did they provide to him?
3. Why did Joseph Meek shoot a young brave in Chapter 12?
4. Describe the time of year that Jim Bridger was born and what he looked like.
5. Why was it when a Grizzly bear has seen a person that the person is generally unable to get away?
6. After Old Glass was injured by a bear, why couldn't he travel with the men, and what was the solution the men came up with?
7. What was Fetterman's scheme to trick the enemy?
8. What quality Chapter 21 did Jim Bridger have that made him superior to other Mountain Men?
9. During the months when finding beavers and hunting furs wasn't easy, what kind of work did the men do so that they would still have work during the winters?
10. What happened to Tom Eyck's detail that he took out to fight the Cheyenne and Sioux Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What new things did you learn from this book about Mountain Men and the way they lived and survived? What things surprised you or enlightened you about Jim Bridger's way of life? Use specific information to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Jim Bridger and Tom Fitzpatrick were old friends that had been through a lot together. Name some of the stories that Bridger and Fitzpatrick were involved with. How important do you think it was to have a long lasting camaraderie in the wilderness?
Essay Topic 3
This book was a biography written by Stanley Vestal; therefore, it's a book about Jim Bridger written by someone else. How do you think this book would have been different if Bridger would have written it himself? What are some events or people that you think would have been described differently had Bridger written the book himself? Explain your answers and use specific information from the book to support your views.
This section contains 1,799 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)