|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, who was the man that looked thin as a rail, red eyed, ragged, and unarmed?
2. When the Crow chief came into Bridger's camp and requested peace, what tribe did he name as being the one he needed help in fighting against?
3. A man lucky enough to kill a grizzly proudly wore its claws as what?
4. What kind of dense bushes was Hugh Glass pushing his way through when he came across a grizzly?
5. How many miles was the keel boat race up the Missouri that Manuel Lisa won?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Jim Bridger got older what health problems did he develop?
2. Why did the Indians give Jim Bridger the name of "Big Throat"?
3. In the desperate situation of Massacre Hill, what did Colonel Carrington declare about the bodies left on the hill?
4. In Chapter 27, what did Jim Bridger know the Cheyenne chief was after?
5. What quality Chapter 21 did Jim Bridger have that made him superior to other Mountain Men?
6. After Old Glass was injured by a bear, why couldn't he travel with the men, and what was the solution the men came up with?
7. Where did the Atsena Indians get their name of Big Bellies from?
8. What happened to the artist and correspondent named Ridgeway Glover who went on a walk unarmed one afternoon?
9. When Bridger became a free trapper, what did he do with the furs and with his earnings?
10. What happened when Joseph Meek laid down Sally so that he could live?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Sir George Gore. What were some characteristics that stood out to you about George Gore as you read the book? Why do you think George Gore and Jim Bridger became fast friends? What are some similarities between Gore and Bridger? Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the reasons given in the book to why Jim Bridger and Brigham Young didn't get along? What do you feel were reasons for the animosity between Bridger and Young? Do you think animosity is the right word? What other words would describe the relationship between Bridger and Brigham Young? Do you think these two individuals could have ever been friends? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 14, the gospel of the frontier is said to have been, "Hell's full of greenhorns." What are greenhorns, and what do you think the frontiersmen or Mountain men meant by this "gospel" or statement?
This section contains 1,753 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)