|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Washington Irving wrote about Sublette's brigade, he mentioned that there were what perched on top of some of the packs?
2. What color was Jim Bridger's horse that he mounted to ride off to save Joseph Meek?
3. What happened to the men from Sublette's brigade that headed out ahead of the group?
4. Why did Bridger and Fitzpatrick pass across the head of buffalo herds to cover their tracks?
5. How many miles away from Fort Kiowa was Hugh Glass when he came to on the Grand River?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the spot looked like where the Mississippi River meets the Missouri River, according to Jim Bridger.
2. Why was the gift of being an explorer such an important asset to a fur trader?
3. Who hated the American Fur Company and why?
4. In Chapter 3, as soon as the fort was built, Bridger set out with the other men to hunt and trap. What kind of animals does Bridger say they hunted or trapped?
5. Even though beaver pelts were still plentiful, the Rocky Mountain Fur Company was struggling. What were some of the reasons for these struggles?
6. What is a greenhorn, and what did Jim Bridger become after he wasn't considered a greenhorn anymore?
7. What were some of the things Jim and Tom did to throw Vanderburgh off their trail?
8. After Old Glass was injured by a bear, why couldn't he travel with the men, and what was the solution the men came up with?
9. Where did the Atsena Indians get their name of Big Bellies from?
10. Describe the area known as Pierre's Hole or Teton Basin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every year the Mountain Men would gather together in a specific spot for a rendezvous. What was the purpose of these rendezvouses, and what happened during these gatherings? Use specific information from the book in your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
Give an account of Hugh Glass and what happened after he was attacked by a grizzly bear. What emotions do you think Glass experienced when he knew Bridger and Fitzgerald had left him stranded with no weapon or food or help? How do you think these emotions were different from what he first felt for these men when they volunteered to stay behind with Glass? What emotions do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald experienced when they left Glass to fend for himself? What kind of characteristics did Glass have that shone through and helped him through this terrible time? How do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald felt when they saw Glass for the first time after abandoning him?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think, as the years went by and towards the end of the book, there was more hostility between the white man and the Indians? What events and factors contributed to the crumbling relationship between the two races? What things do you think could have been done to mend the relationship between Indians and the white man? Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)