|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Jim Bridger when his family headed west?
2. Some of the older trappers had advantages over Jim. Who was a better businessman than Jim?
3. Where did the Hudson's Bay Company monopolize all trade with the Indians?
4. Which tribe was allies with the Blackfeet Indians?
5. When Old Ephraim ran across the Prince Maximilian party, how many rifle's worth of lead did he carry off with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance did Dr. Marcus Whitman have in Jim Bridger's life?
2. In Chapter 8, why were Jim and Tom leading Vanderburgh on a "wild goose chase"?
3. Even though beaver pelts were still plentiful, the Rocky Mountain Fur Company was struggling. What were some of the reasons for these struggles?
4. In Chapter 3, as soon as the fort was built, Bridger set out with the other men to hunt and trap. What kind of animals does Bridger say they hunted or trapped?
5. During the months when finding beavers and hunting furs wasn't easy, what kind of work did the men do so that they would still have work during the winters?
6. Describe what the spot looked like where the Mississippi River meets the Missouri River, according to Jim Bridger.
7. Why did the Crow chief come into Bridger's camp with forty men to request a truce?
8. What dramatic events took place when Bridger was going on fourteen years old?
9. In Chapter 4, what two traits were to be respected among the Indians?
10. What questions did the Crow chief ask Joseph Meek to tell the truth about so he could live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim Bridger and Tom Fitzpatrick were old friends that had been through a lot together. Name some of the stories that Bridger and Fitzpatrick were involved with. How important do you think it was to have a long lasting camaraderie in the wilderness?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, the gospel of the frontier is said to have been, "Hell's full of greenhorns." What are greenhorns, and what do you think the frontiersmen or Mountain men meant by this "gospel" or statement?
Essay Topic 3
There are many events and stories in this book. Describe one of your favorite or most memorable events in the book. Why did this particular story appeal to you? Who was involved in this event, and what kind of joys, struggles, or tragedies were faced in this story?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)