|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the name Casapy mean that the Crow Indians had given to Bridger?
2. How many cubs did the she-bear have that Glass came across?
3. Who did Jim apprentice in a blacksmith shop?
4. At the fort Big Horn men were divided into messes. How many people were a part of one "mess"?
5. What day was Jim Bridger's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the gift of being an explorer such an important asset to a fur trader?
2. In Chapter 4, what two traits were to be respected among the Indians?
3. What were some of the things Jim and Tom did to throw Vanderburgh off their trail?
4. Why was it important for Jim to know more than the lay out or topography of the land?
5. What significance did Dr. Marcus Whitman have in Jim Bridger's life?
6. What questions did the Crow chief ask Joseph Meek to tell the truth about so he could live?
7. Describe the area known as Pierre's Hole or Teton Basin.
8. Why did Joseph Meek shoot a young brave in Chapter 12?
9. Where did the Atsena Indians get their name of Big Bellies from?
10. During the months when finding beavers and hunting furs wasn't easy, what kind of work did the men do so that they would still have work during the winters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of Jim Bridger to the United States. Describe Jim Bridger's importance to travelers and explorers that had never traveled "out west." How did the nation and individuals benefit from knowing and working with Jim Bridger?
Essay Topic 2
Give an account of Hugh Glass and what happened after he was attacked by a grizzly bear. What emotions do you think Glass experienced when he knew Bridger and Fitzgerald had left him stranded with no weapon or food or help? How do you think these emotions were different from what he first felt for these men when they volunteered to stay behind with Glass? What emotions do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald experienced when they left Glass to fend for himself? What kind of characteristics did Glass have that shone through and helped him through this terrible time? How do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald felt when they saw Glass for the first time after abandoning him?
Essay Topic 3
There were many individuals in this book besides Jim Bridger. Who was one of your favorite people and why? What influences did this person have on Jim Bridger? How did Jim Bridger play a role in this person's life? What qualities did this person have that you liked and could relate to?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)