|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saved Cotton Mansfield when the Indians were running after him to get his scalp?
2. What did the young Crow warrior strike Joseph Meek's wife with?
3. Jim Bridger had to know more than just the layout of the country; he had to know how to do what?
4. What was Meek's answer when the Crow chief asked him how many men Bridger had?
5. When eight hundred Indians caught the Colonel napping in Chapter 3, how many men did they kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bridger became a free trapper, what did he do with the furs and with his earnings?
2. Describe the time of year that Jim Bridger was born and what he looked like.
3. What were some of Jim Bridger's discoveries in Chapter 6?
4. Why was it when a Grizzly bear has seen a person that the person is generally unable to get away?
5. Why did the Crow chief come into Bridger's camp with forty men to request a truce?
6. Why did Joseph Meek shoot a young brave in Chapter 12?
7. In the old days of rendezvous trappers, how did the trappers live like lords?
8. What is a greenhorn, and what did Jim Bridger become after he wasn't considered a greenhorn anymore?
9. After Old Glass was injured by a bear, why couldn't he travel with the men, and what was the solution the men came up with?
10. What questions did the Crow chief ask Joseph Meek to tell the truth about so he could live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, there are tales of men losing their wives, either to the Indian attacks or during childbirth. Jim Bridger had more than one wife that died in childbirth, and one child that was taken by the Indians and never seen again. How do you think the familiarity of loved ones dying affected the Mountain Men, especially Jim Bridger? Even after the Indians took his daughter, do you think Jim Bridger kept an open mind about the Indians? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are many events and stories in this book. Describe one of your favorite or most memorable events in the book. Why did this particular story appeal to you? Who was involved in this event, and what kind of joys, struggles, or tragedies were faced in this story?
Essay Topic 3
What new things did you learn from this book about Mountain Men and the way they lived and survived? What things surprised you or enlightened you about Jim Bridger's way of life? Use specific information to support your answers.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)