|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim was able to have wages left over to buy blankets for what reason?
2. Hugh Glass was a hunter from where?
3. At the fort Big Horn men were divided into messes. How many people were a part of one "mess"?
4. How many miles was the keel boat race up the Missouri that Manuel Lisa won?
5. When Joseph Meek headed out of camp alone on what day out of camp did the Crows catch up with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who hated the American Fur Company and why?
2. In Chapter 3, as soon as the fort was built, Bridger set out with the other men to hunt and trap. What kind of animals does Bridger say they hunted or trapped?
3. Why did the Crow chief come into Bridger's camp with forty men to request a truce?
4. During the months when finding beavers and hunting furs wasn't easy, what kind of work did the men do so that they would still have work during the winters?
5. While Joseph Meek was marching with the Crow Indians, what did the squaws do to Meek amuse themselves?
6. Describe what the spot looked like where the Mississippi River meets the Missouri River, according to Jim Bridger.
7. Even though beaver pelts were still plentiful, the Rocky Mountain Fur Company was struggling. What were some of the reasons for these struggles?
8. Why did Captain Sir William Drummond Stuart make people stare?
9. When Colonel Leavenworth arrived at Fort Recovery, why was the Colonel looking glum?
10. In Chapter 8, why were Jim and Tom leading Vanderburgh on a "wild goose chase"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, there are tales of men losing their wives, either to the Indian attacks or during childbirth. Jim Bridger had more than one wife that died in childbirth, and one child that was taken by the Indians and never seen again. How do you think the familiarity of loved ones dying affected the Mountain Men, especially Jim Bridger? Even after the Indians took his daughter, do you think Jim Bridger kept an open mind about the Indians? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Give an account of Hugh Glass and what happened after he was attacked by a grizzly bear. What emotions do you think Glass experienced when he knew Bridger and Fitzgerald had left him stranded with no weapon or food or help? How do you think these emotions were different from what he first felt for these men when they volunteered to stay behind with Glass? What emotions do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald experienced when they left Glass to fend for himself? What kind of characteristics did Glass have that shone through and helped him through this terrible time? How do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald felt when they saw Glass for the first time after abandoning him?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the reasons given in the book to why Jim Bridger and Brigham Young didn't get along? What do you feel were reasons for the animosity between Bridger and Young? Do you think animosity is the right word? What other words would describe the relationship between Bridger and Brigham Young? Do you think these two individuals could have ever been friends? Why or why not?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)