|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was Jim Bridger's horse that he mounted to ride off to save Joseph Meek?
2. What would happen if a greenhorn set up drinks for all the old-timers?
3. In Chapter 2, who answered to the name "Major" when Bridger called it out?
4. Who volunteered with Bridger to keep an eye on Hugh Glass after he was badly injured?
5. What was the first name of General William Henry Harrison's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of Jim Bridger's discoveries in Chapter 6?
2. Why was it important for Jim to know more than the lay out or topography of the land?
3. In the old days of rendezvous trappers, how did the trappers live like lords?
4. Who was the bear that Prince Maximilian spoke of, and what was the story of this great bear?
5. During the months when finding beavers and hunting furs wasn't easy, what kind of work did the men do so that they would still have work during the winters?
6. When Colonel Leavenworth arrived at Fort Recovery, why was the Colonel looking glum?
7. Describe the area known as Pierre's Hole or Teton Basin.
8. Describe the time of year that Jim Bridger was born and what he looked like.
9. What significance did Dr. Marcus Whitman have in Jim Bridger's life?
10. Describe what the spot looked like where the Mississippi River meets the Missouri River, according to Jim Bridger.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many individuals in this book besides Jim Bridger. Who was one of your favorite people and why? What influences did this person have on Jim Bridger? How did Jim Bridger play a role in this person's life? What qualities did this person have that you liked and could relate to?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of Jim Bridger to the United States. Describe Jim Bridger's importance to travelers and explorers that had never traveled "out west." How did the nation and individuals benefit from knowing and working with Jim Bridger?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jim Bridger. What are some of his strengths and weaknesses? How does the author describe Jim Bridger's physical appearance? What kind of inner qualities did Bridger possess? Why physical characteristics did Bridger have that made him a good Mountain Man? Explain your answers and use specific information from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)