|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the men from Sublette's brigade that headed out ahead of the group?
2. What color was Jim Bridger's horse that he mounted to ride off to save Joseph Meek?
3. Where did the Hudson's Bay Company monopolize all trade with the Indians?
4. What kind of dense bushes was Hugh Glass pushing his way through when he came across a grizzly?
5. What did Jim Bridger's father do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Joseph Meek shoot a young brave in Chapter 12?
2. Where did the Atsena Indians get their name of Big Bellies from?
3. In Chapter 3, as soon as the fort was built, Bridger set out with the other men to hunt and trap. What kind of animals does Bridger say they hunted or trapped?
4. Why was it when a Grizzly bear has seen a person that the person is generally unable to get away?
5. After Old Glass was injured by a bear, why couldn't he travel with the men, and what was the solution the men came up with?
6. When Colonel Leavenworth arrived at Fort Recovery, why was the Colonel looking glum?
7. What were some of the things Jim and Tom did to throw Vanderburgh off their trail?
8. When Bridger became a free trapper, what did he do with the furs and with his earnings?
9. In Chapter 8, why were Jim and Tom leading Vanderburgh on a "wild goose chase"?
10. What questions did the Crow chief ask Joseph Meek to tell the truth about so he could live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Sir George Gore. What were some characteristics that stood out to you about George Gore as you read the book? Why do you think George Gore and Jim Bridger became fast friends? What are some similarities between Gore and Bridger? Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Jim Bridger have to look after his sister when he was young? What events and struggles in Jim Bridger's life forced him to become a man sooner than other boys might have? How did these help Bridger become a good Mountain Man? Use information from the book to explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
There are many events and stories in this book. Describe one of your favorite or most memorable events in the book. Why did this particular story appeal to you? Who was involved in this event, and what kind of joys, struggles, or tragedies were faced in this story?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)