|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Colonel Henry Leavenworth advanced up the river with how many companies?
2. Who did the Crow chief give the new name of "Shiam Shaspusia"?
3. In what year was Jim Bridger born?
4. Who's doctor did Captain William Sublette have his wounds dressed by?
5. What color was Jim Bridger's horse that he mounted to ride off to save Joseph Meek?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was the bear that Prince Maximilian spoke of, and what was the story of this great bear?
2. Why was it important for Jim to know more than the lay out or topography of the land?
3. After Old Glass was injured by a bear, why couldn't he travel with the men, and what was the solution the men came up with?
4. Who hated the American Fur Company and why?
5. Why was the gift of being an explorer such an important asset to a fur trader?
6. In Chapter 4, what two traits were to be respected among the Indians?
7. Describe the time of year that Jim Bridger was born and what he looked like.
8. In Chapter 3, as soon as the fort was built, Bridger set out with the other men to hunt and trap. What kind of animals does Bridger say they hunted or trapped?
9. While Joseph Meek was marching with the Crow Indians, what did the squaws do to Meek amuse themselves?
10. What dramatic events took place when Bridger was going on fourteen years old?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Jim Bridger and other Mountain Men benefited in knowing and working with the Indian tribes. Describe how the Indian tribes benefited from knowing and working with the Mountain men. Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
There were many individuals in this book besides Jim Bridger. Who was one of your favorite people and why? What influences did this person have on Jim Bridger? How did Jim Bridger play a role in this person's life? What qualities did this person have that you liked and could relate to?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Indians as seen through Jim Bridger's eyes. What qualities did Bridger admire in the Indians? What tribes were known as friends to Bridger? Describe the Indians as seen through the U.S. government's eyes? How do these two views differ and why?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)