|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Crow chief came into Bridger's camp and requested peace, what tribe did he name as being the one he needed help in fighting against?
2. Who's doctor did Captain William Sublette have his wounds dressed by?
3. At the fort Big Horn men were divided into messes. How many people were a part of one "mess"?
4. What happened to the men from Sublette's brigade that headed out ahead of the group?
5. How many miles away from Fort Kiowa was Hugh Glass when he came to on the Grand River?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was the bear that Prince Maximilian spoke of, and what was the story of this great bear?
2. Even though beaver pelts were still plentiful, the Rocky Mountain Fur Company was struggling. What were some of the reasons for these struggles?
3. When Colonel Leavenworth arrived at Fort Recovery, why was the Colonel looking glum?
4. During the months when finding beavers and hunting furs wasn't easy, what kind of work did the men do so that they would still have work during the winters?
5. Why was the gift of being an explorer such an important asset to a fur trader?
6. What were some of Jim Bridger's discoveries in Chapter 6?
7. Describe what the spot looked like where the Mississippi River meets the Missouri River, according to Jim Bridger.
8. In Chapter 3, as soon as the fort was built, Bridger set out with the other men to hunt and trap. What kind of animals does Bridger say they hunted or trapped?
9. What questions did the Crow chief ask Joseph Meek to tell the truth about so he could live?
10. What is a greenhorn, and what did Jim Bridger become after he wasn't considered a greenhorn anymore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every year the Mountain Men would gather together in a specific spot for a rendezvous. What was the purpose of these rendezvouses, and what happened during these gatherings? Use specific information from the book in your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the theme of independence is revealed in the book. There is a boat named the Independence mentioned in Chapter 1. How does this vessel tie in with Jim Bridger's development of his own independence in Chapter 1? How does Bridger's independence increase during the course of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 14, the gospel of the frontier is said to have been, "Hell's full of greenhorns." What are greenhorns, and what do you think the frontiersmen or Mountain men meant by this "gospel" or statement?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)