Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Colonel Henry Leavenworth advanced up the river with how many companies?
2. What happened to the men from Sublette's brigade that headed out ahead of the group?
3. Where did the Hudson's Bay Company monopolize all trade with the Indians?
4. How many Crow squaws guarded Joseph Meek?
5. How many miles away from Fort Kiowa was Hugh Glass when he came to on the Grand River?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Jim Bridger got older what health problems did he develop?
2. In Chapter 27, what did Jim Bridger know the Cheyenne chief was after?
3. What questions did the Crow chief ask Joseph Meek to tell the truth about so he could live?
4. What was Jim Bridger's motto in Chapter 21?
5. In Chapter 4, what two traits were to be respected among the Indians?
6. What were some of the mistakes that tourists made that stopped by Fort Bridger?
7. Who was the bear that Prince Maximilian spoke of, and what was the story of this great bear?
8. In Chapter 16, Bridger weny out with Kit Carson in the spring to what places?
9. Why did Joseph Meek shoot a young brave in Chapter 12?
10. Why did the Crow chief come into Bridger's camp with forty men to request a truce?
Essay Topic 1
Jim Bridger and Tom Fitzpatrick were old friends that had been through a lot together. Name some of the stories that Bridger and Fitzpatrick were involved with. How important do you think it was to have a long lasting camaraderie in the wilderness?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, the gospel of the frontier is said to have been, "Hell's full of greenhorns." What are greenhorns, and what do you think the frontiersmen or Mountain men meant by this "gospel" or statement?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jim Bridger. What are some of his strengths and weaknesses? How does the author describe Jim Bridger's physical appearance? What kind of inner qualities did Bridger possess? Why physical characteristics did Bridger have that made him a good Mountain Man? Explain your answers and use specific information from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)