|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Crow chief came into Bridger's camp and requested peace, what tribe did he name as being the one he needed help in fighting against?
2. Who did the Crow chief give the new name of "Shiam Shaspusia"?
3. At the fort Big Horn men were divided into messes. How many people were a part of one "mess"?
4. Which of the older trappers was a more dashing Indian fighter?
5. In the same year that Jim Bridger was born, Lewis and Clark set out up what river?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the months when finding beavers and hunting furs wasn't easy, what kind of work did the men do so that they would still have work during the winters?
2. Why did Joseph Meek shoot a young brave in Chapter 12?
3. What questions did the Crow chief ask Joseph Meek to tell the truth about so he could live?
4. Why was it when a Grizzly bear has seen a person that the person is generally unable to get away?
5. While Joseph Meek was marching with the Crow Indians, what did the squaws do to Meek amuse themselves?
6. In the old days of rendezvous trappers, how did the trappers live like lords?
7. What were some of Jim Bridger's discoveries in Chapter 6?
8. Why was the gift of being an explorer such an important asset to a fur trader?
9. Describe the time of year that Jim Bridger was born and what he looked like.
10. What were some of the things Jim and Tom did to throw Vanderburgh off their trail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give an account of Hugh Glass and what happened after he was attacked by a grizzly bear. What emotions do you think Glass experienced when he knew Bridger and Fitzgerald had left him stranded with no weapon or food or help? How do you think these emotions were different from what he first felt for these men when they volunteered to stay behind with Glass? What emotions do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald experienced when they left Glass to fend for himself? What kind of characteristics did Glass have that shone through and helped him through this terrible time? How do you think Bridger and Fitzgerald felt when they saw Glass for the first time after abandoning him?
Essay Topic 2
This book was a biography written by Stanley Vestal; therefore, it's a book about Jim Bridger written by someone else. How do you think this book would have been different if Bridger would have written it himself? What are some events or people that you think would have been described differently had Bridger written the book himself? Explain your answers and use specific information from the book to support your views.
Essay Topic 3
Jim Bridger and Tom Fitzpatrick were old friends that had been through a lot together. Name some of the stories that Bridger and Fitzpatrick were involved with. How important do you think it was to have a long lasting camaraderie in the wilderness?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)