|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the trappers rendezvous to be held in Pierre's Hole?
2. In what year was Jim Bridger born?
3. Which tribe was allies with the Blackfeet Indians?
4. How many arrows did the young warrior shoot into Jim Bridger's back?
5. What was the name of the steamboat that carried passengers up the Missouri beyond Franklin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the time of year that Jim Bridger was born and what he looked like.
2. Why was it important for Jim to know more than the lay out or topography of the land?
3. During the months when finding beavers and hunting furs wasn't easy, what kind of work did the men do so that they would still have work during the winters?
4. After Old Glass was injured by a bear, why couldn't he travel with the men, and what was the solution the men came up with?
5. Why was it when a Grizzly bear has seen a person that the person is generally unable to get away?
6. Describe what the spot looked like where the Mississippi River meets the Missouri River, according to Jim Bridger.
7. While Joseph Meek was marching with the Crow Indians, what did the squaws do to Meek amuse themselves?
8. What is a greenhorn, and what did Jim Bridger become after he wasn't considered a greenhorn anymore?
9. Why was the gift of being an explorer such an important asset to a fur trader?
10. Where did the Atsena Indians get their name of Big Bellies from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every year the Mountain Men would gather together in a specific spot for a rendezvous. What was the purpose of these rendezvouses, and what happened during these gatherings? Use specific information from the book in your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the reasons given in the book to why Jim Bridger and Brigham Young didn't get along? What do you feel were reasons for the animosity between Bridger and Young? Do you think animosity is the right word? What other words would describe the relationship between Bridger and Brigham Young? Do you think these two individuals could have ever been friends? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of Jim Bridger to the United States. Describe Jim Bridger's importance to travelers and explorers that had never traveled "out west." How did the nation and individuals benefit from knowing and working with Jim Bridger?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)