|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim carried a small horn vial on his belt filled with what?
2. When Indians attacked Henry's party in the beginning of Chapter 5, how many men were wounded?
3. Which greenhorn was described as being awake and never resting?
4. In Chapter 9, it was mentioned that on average about one Mountain man was killed every how many days?
5. How many Crow warriors did Meek count?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what two traits were to be respected among the Indians?
2. What happened when Joseph Meek laid down Sally so that he could live?
3. Why was it important for Jim to know more than the lay out or topography of the land?
4. When Colonel Leavenworth arrived at Fort Recovery, why was the Colonel looking glum?
5. Why did the Crow chief come into Bridger's camp with forty men to request a truce?
6. Why was the gift of being an explorer such an important asset to a fur trader?
7. In the old days of rendezvous trappers, how did the trappers live like lords?
8. Where did the Atsena Indians get their name of Big Bellies from?
9. In Chapter 3, as soon as the fort was built, Bridger set out with the other men to hunt and trap. What kind of animals does Bridger say they hunted or trapped?
10. Even though beaver pelts were still plentiful, the Rocky Mountain Fur Company was struggling. What were some of the reasons for these struggles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the theme of independence is revealed in the book. There is a boat named the Independence mentioned in Chapter 1. How does this vessel tie in with Jim Bridger's development of his own independence in Chapter 1? How does Bridger's independence increase during the course of the book?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, the gospel of the frontier is said to have been, "Hell's full of greenhorns." What are greenhorns, and what do you think the frontiersmen or Mountain men meant by this "gospel" or statement?
Essay Topic 3
Every year the Mountain Men would gather together in a specific spot for a rendezvous. What was the purpose of these rendezvouses, and what happened during these gatherings? Use specific information from the book in your explanation.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)