|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jim Bridger love better than people?
2. When Bridger went to shake the chief's hand in Chapter 8, the chief pushed the muzzle of the gun down and Bridger fired automatically. Where did the the charge explode?
3. Who's doctor did Captain William Sublette have his wounds dressed by?
4. How many miles away from Fort Kiowa was Hugh Glass when he came to on the Grand River?
5. When Major Henry's boat sunk, he saved every man, but how much money worth of supplies was lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bridger became a free trapper, what did he do with the furs and with his earnings?
2. Who was the bear that Prince Maximilian spoke of, and what was the story of this great bear?
3. During the months when finding beavers and hunting furs wasn't easy, what kind of work did the men do so that they would still have work during the winters?
4. Describe what the spot looked like where the Mississippi River meets the Missouri River, according to Jim Bridger.
5. Describe the time of year that Jim Bridger was born and what he looked like.
6. What happened when Joseph Meek laid down Sally so that he could live?
7. What is a greenhorn, and what did Jim Bridger become after he wasn't considered a greenhorn anymore?
8. Why did the Crow chief come into Bridger's camp with forty men to request a truce?
9. Describe the area known as Pierre's Hole or Teton Basin.
10. While Joseph Meek was marching with the Crow Indians, what did the squaws do to Meek amuse themselves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the reasons given in the book to why Jim Bridger and Brigham Young didn't get along? What do you feel were reasons for the animosity between Bridger and Young? Do you think animosity is the right word? What other words would describe the relationship between Bridger and Brigham Young? Do you think these two individuals could have ever been friends? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events that led up to Jim Bridger receiving two arrows in his back in Chapter 8. Why did Bridger receive these arrows to the back? Do you think they were deserved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the theme of independence is revealed in the book. There is a boat named the Independence mentioned in Chapter 1. How does this vessel tie in with Jim Bridger's development of his own independence in Chapter 1? How does Bridger's independence increase during the course of the book?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)