|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, who answered to the name "Major" when Bridger called it out?
2. What did Jim Bridger love better than people?
3. When Joseph Meek headed out of camp alone on what day out of camp did the Crows catch up with him?
4. What happened to the men from Sublette's brigade that headed out ahead of the group?
5. What was the name of the steamboat that carried passengers up the Missouri beyond Franklin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though beaver pelts were still plentiful, the Rocky Mountain Fur Company was struggling. What were some of the reasons for these struggles?
2. Who was the bear that Prince Maximilian spoke of, and what was the story of this great bear?
3. Why was it when a Grizzly bear has seen a person that the person is generally unable to get away?
4. In Chapter 4, what two traits were to be respected among the Indians?
5. What kinds of jobs did Jim Bridger first hold to help support himself and his sister?
6. When Colonel Leavenworth arrived at Fort Recovery, why was the Colonel looking glum?
7. Why did Joseph Meek shoot a young brave in Chapter 12?
8. What were some of the things Jim and Tom did to throw Vanderburgh off their trail?
9. What is a greenhorn, and what did Jim Bridger become after he wasn't considered a greenhorn anymore?
10. Why was the gift of being an explorer such an important asset to a fur trader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of Jim Bridger to the United States. Describe Jim Bridger's importance to travelers and explorers that had never traveled "out west." How did the nation and individuals benefit from knowing and working with Jim Bridger?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sir George Gore. What were some characteristics that stood out to you about George Gore as you read the book? Why do you think George Gore and Jim Bridger became fast friends? What are some similarities between Gore and Bridger? Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the reasons given in the book to why Jim Bridger and Brigham Young didn't get along? What do you feel were reasons for the animosity between Bridger and Young? Do you think animosity is the right word? What other words would describe the relationship between Bridger and Brigham Young? Do you think these two individuals could have ever been friends? Why or why not?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)