|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was John C. Fremont's topographer?
(a) Gabe Rogers.
(b) Charles Preuss.
(c) Kit Carson.
(d) Jim Bridger.
2. Who said, "Boys, the trouble with you is you're all spunk and no gumption"?
(a) Phil Kearney.
(b) Jim Bridger.
(c) Horation S. Bingham.
(d) George W. Grummond.
3. What did Jim Bridger find on the side of a trail that had Indian signs marked on them?
(a) Indian belts.
(b) Peace pipes.
(c) Horse saddles.
(d) Buffalo skulls.
4. What time did Sir George Gore usually sleep until in the morning?
(a) Ten or eleven.
(b) Nine or ten.
(c) Seven or Eight.
(d) Eleven or twelve.
5. When Sir George Gore ordered all the irons raked from the ashes, where did he ask the men to throw them?
(a) In the fire pit under the ashes.
(b) Into the Missouri River.
(c) In a large hole that the men dug in the ground.
(d) Into the buffalo dung heep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Mormons pile in their houses when they were afraid the troops would sack their city?
2. Jim Bridger decided to build Fort Bridger among his friends from what tribe?
3. Who did the Indians say "talked sense and told the truth"?
4. In Chapter 26, there wasn't enough ammunition for what?
5. The trail Jim Bridger proposed would later be the route of the Overland Stage, the Union Pacific Railroad, and what else?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the mistakes that tourists made that stopped by Fort Bridger?
2. What is the reason that historians give for the quarrel between Brigham Young and Jim Bridger?
3. What was Fetterman's scheme to trick the enemy?
4. In 1846, which party stopped by Fort Bridger and why?
5. How did Shotwell describe Jim Bridger in Chapter 24?
6. How did Jim Bridger excel at trailing?
7. What was Jim Bridger's motto in Chapter 21?
8. In Chapter 17, when the Cheyenne Indians brought the two scalps and offered them back to the Snake Indians, what happened?
9. What happened to the artist and correspondent named Ridgeway Glover who went on a walk unarmed one afternoon?
10. What are some of the things that Jim Bridger did to help the Mormons and their leader, Brigham Young?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)