|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was Jim Bridger born?
2. In Chapter 7, who was the man that looked thin as a rail, red eyed, ragged, and unarmed?
3. In Chapter 4, Colonel Henry Leavenworth advanced up the river with how many companies?
4. Even though Bridger was hospitable and generous, he was not fond of what?
(a) Indian rituals.
5. What did being a free trapper mean for Jim?
(a) That he could hire the people he wanted.
(b) That he must be a master at his trade.
(c) That it would be less expensive.
(d) That he would have to depend on himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first name of General William Henry Harrison's son?
2. How old was Jim when his mother died?
3. In Chapter 9, it was mentioned that on average about one Mountain man was killed every how many days?
4. How many cubs did the she-bear have that Glass came across?
5. How many Crow warriors did Meek count?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Crow chief come into Bridger's camp with forty men to request a truce?
2. Who hated the American Fur Company and why?
3. What happened when Joseph Meek laid down Sally so that he could live?
4. Why did Captain Sir William Drummond Stuart make people stare?
5. Where did the Atsena Indians get their name of Big Bellies from?
6. While Joseph Meek was marching with the Crow Indians, what did the squaws do to Meek amuse themselves?
7. During the months when finding beavers and hunting furs wasn't easy, what kind of work did the men do so that they would still have work during the winters?
8. Even though beaver pelts were still plentiful, the Rocky Mountain Fur Company was struggling. What were some of the reasons for these struggles?
9. In the old days of rendezvous trappers, how did the trappers live like lords?
10. Why was it when a Grizzly bear has seen a person that the person is generally unable to get away?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)