|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tribe was named, "Big Bellies"?
(a) The Crow.
(b) The Sioux.
(c) The Blackfeet.
(d) The Atsena.
2. In the same year that Jim Bridger was born, Lewis and Clark set out up what river?
(a) Mississippi River.
(b) Red River.
(c) Missouri River.
(d) Yellowstone River.
3. In Chapter 5, who was called an "ornery skunk"?
4. Where did a trapper or hunter have to deposit what he brought in?
(a) At the fort's storage closet.
(b) At the kitchen.
(c) Before the Captain's cabin.
(d) At the front entrance of the fort.
5. Washington Irving wrote about Sublette's brigade on the march. What does Washington write about Sublette's arm?
(a) That it didn't look like it would heal.
(b) That it hung limply at Sublette's side.
(c) That it was still in a sling.
(d) That it didn't look like anything was wrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which greenhorn was described as being awake and never resting?
2. How many arrows did the young warrior shoot into Jim Bridger's back?
3. When the Blackfeet attacked the Americans in Chapter 6, how much were the beaver pelts worth that were taken?
4. Who did the Crow chief give the new name of "Shiam Shaspusia"?
5. Who saved Kit Carson from being attacked by the Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dramatic events took place when Bridger was going on fourteen years old?
2. Describe the area known as Pierre's Hole or Teton Basin.
3. Even though beaver pelts were still plentiful, the Rocky Mountain Fur Company was struggling. What were some of the reasons for these struggles?
4. After Old Glass was injured by a bear, why couldn't he travel with the men, and what was the solution the men came up with?
5. What were some of the things Jim and Tom did to throw Vanderburgh off their trail?
6. Why was it important for Jim to know more than the lay out or topography of the land?
7. What happened when Joseph Meek laid down Sally so that he could live?
8. Why did Joseph Meek shoot a young brave in Chapter 12?
9. While Joseph Meek was marching with the Crow Indians, what did the squaws do to Meek amuse themselves?
10. Describe the time of year that Jim Bridger was born and what he looked like.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)