|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who saved Cotton Mansfield when the Indians were running after him to get his scalp?
(a) Captain Bonneville.
(b) Kit Carson.
(c) Jim Bridger.
(d) Tom Fitzpatrick.
2. When eight hundred Indians caught the Colonel napping in Chapter 3, how many men did they kill?
3. Hugh Glass was a hunter from where?
(a) New York.
4. What was Meek's answer when the Crow chief asked him how many men Bridger had?
(b) One hundred.
5. How many Crow warriors did Meek count?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Crow chief came into Bridger's camp and requested peace, what tribe did he name as being the one he needed help in fighting against?
2. When Joseph Meek headed out of camp alone on what day out of camp did the Crows catch up with him?
3. Some of the older trappers had advantages over Jim. Who was a better businessman than Jim?
4. When Indians attacked Henry's party in the beginning of Chapter 5, how many men were wounded?
5. In what year was the trappers rendezvous to be held in Pierre's Hole?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who hated the American Fur Company and why?
2. Why was the gift of being an explorer such an important asset to a fur trader?
3. Why was it important for Jim to know more than the lay out or topography of the land?
4. What happened when Joseph Meek laid down Sally so that he could live?
5. After Old Glass was injured by a bear, why couldn't he travel with the men, and what was the solution the men came up with?
6. When Colonel Leavenworth arrived at Fort Recovery, why was the Colonel looking glum?
7. In Chapter 3, as soon as the fort was built, Bridger set out with the other men to hunt and trap. What kind of animals does Bridger say they hunted or trapped?
8. What significance did Dr. Marcus Whitman have in Jim Bridger's life?
9. Describe the area known as Pierre's Hole or Teton Basin.
10. During the months when finding beavers and hunting furs wasn't easy, what kind of work did the men do so that they would still have work during the winters?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)