|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jim Bridger had to know more than just the layout of the country; he had to know how to do what?
(a) Teach new trappers the trade.
(b) Guide a horse through danger.
(c) Live in the country.
(d) Find the Indians.
2. What did Jim Bridger's father do?
(a) Raised cattle.
(b) Kept a tavern.
(c) Sailed ships.
(d) Was a blacksmith.
3. Hugh Glass was a hunter from where?
(a) New York.
4. In Chapter 9, what tribe did Bridger have to buy more horses from?
(a) Nez Perces.
5. How old was Jim Bridger when his family headed west?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the steamboat that carried passengers up the Missouri beyond Franklin?
2. At the fort Big Horn men were divided into messes. How many people were a part of one "mess"?
3. No free trapper could do what safely?
4. What trapper rule concerning guns was similar to the rule of the Indian camps?
5. Which tribe was allies with the Blackfeet Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the things Jim and Tom did to throw Vanderburgh off their trail?
2. Why did the Crow chief come into Bridger's camp with forty men to request a truce?
3. What happened when Joseph Meek laid down Sally so that he could live?
4. Why did Joseph Meek shoot a young brave in Chapter 12?
5. In Chapter 4, what two traits were to be respected among the Indians?
6. When Colonel Leavenworth arrived at Fort Recovery, why was the Colonel looking glum?
7. Why was the gift of being an explorer such an important asset to a fur trader?
8. Why was it when a Grizzly bear has seen a person that the person is generally unable to get away?
9. Who hated the American Fur Company and why?
10. After Old Glass was injured by a bear, why couldn't he travel with the men, and what was the solution the men came up with?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)