|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, it was mentioned that on average about one Mountain man was killed every how many days?
(d) Twenty Five.
2. In Chapter 8, Bridger and Fitzpatrick headed back towards Henry's Fork of what river?
(a) The Snake River.
(b) The Yellowstone River.
(c) The Greene River.
(d) The Bear River.
3. When Indians attacked Henry's party in the beginning of Chapter 5, how many men were wounded?
4. How many arrows did the young warrior shoot into Jim Bridger's back?
5. Washington Irving wrote about Sublette's brigade on the march. What does Washington write about Sublette's arm?
(a) That it didn't look like anything was wrong.
(b) That it was still in a sling.
(c) That it hung limply at Sublette's side.
(d) That it didn't look like it would heal.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much was the fur harvest with that Captain William Sublette headed back to St. Louis with?
2. What was the name of Bridger's favorite racehorse?
3. Where did a trapper or hunter have to deposit what he brought in?
4. No free trapper could do what safely?
5. What did the young Crow warrior strike Joseph Meek's wife with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Captain Sir William Drummond Stuart make people stare?
2. Describe the time of year that Jim Bridger was born and what he looked like.
3. Describe what the spot looked like where the Mississippi River meets the Missouri River, according to Jim Bridger.
4. Who hated the American Fur Company and why?
5. Why was it when a Grizzly bear has seen a person that the person is generally unable to get away?
6. During the months when finding beavers and hunting furs wasn't easy, what kind of work did the men do so that they would still have work during the winters?
7. What is a greenhorn, and what did Jim Bridger become after he wasn't considered a greenhorn anymore?
8. Describe the area known as Pierre's Hole or Teton Basin.
9. Why was the gift of being an explorer such an important asset to a fur trader?
10. Even though beaver pelts were still plentiful, the Rocky Mountain Fur Company was struggling. What were some of the reasons for these struggles?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)