|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the older trappers was a more dashing Indian fighter?
(a) Jed Smith.
(b) Kit Carson.
(c) Bill Sublette.
(d) Hugh Glass.
2. How many miles was the keel boat race up the Missouri that Manuel Lisa won?
3. What did the young Crow warrior strike Joseph Meek's wife with?
(a) An arrow.
(b) A rock.
(c) A quirt.
(d) A bow.
4. After the Hugh Glass experience, Jim Bridger started to look out for other men. What nickname did he earn because of that?
(a) Old Gabe.
(b) Jimmy Sure.
(c) Constant Bridger.
(d) Lookout Point.
5. How many men did Vanderburgh take with him into Blackfoot country?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Blackfeet attacked the Americans in Chapter 6, how much were the beaver pelts worth that were taken?
2. Where did the Hudson's Bay Company monopolize all trade with the Indians?
3. Jim Bridger was a born what?
4. Which greenhorn was described as being awake and never resting?
5. Some of the older trappers had advantages over Jim. Who was a better businessman than Jim?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, as soon as the fort was built, Bridger set out with the other men to hunt and trap. What kind of animals does Bridger say they hunted or trapped?
2. What happened when Joseph Meek laid down Sally so that he could live?
3. Why was the gift of being an explorer such an important asset to a fur trader?
4. Where did the Atsena Indians get their name of Big Bellies from?
5. When Colonel Leavenworth arrived at Fort Recovery, why was the Colonel looking glum?
6. When Bridger became a free trapper, what did he do with the furs and with his earnings?
7. Describe what the spot looked like where the Mississippi River meets the Missouri River, according to Jim Bridger.
8. In the old days of rendezvous trappers, how did the trappers live like lords?
9. While Joseph Meek was marching with the Crow Indians, what did the squaws do to Meek amuse themselves?
10. What is a greenhorn, and what did Jim Bridger become after he wasn't considered a greenhorn anymore?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)