|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the opening of Chapter 16, where was Brigham Young's caravan headed?
(b) Salt Lake.
(c) St. Louis.
2. What kind of animal's udder did Jim Bridger use to feed his new baby girl?
3. What would gnaw on the saddles and harnesses that the greenhorns left out at night?
(b) The Mountain Men dogs.
(c) The horses.
4. When Jim Bridger opened his gate after hearing someone knock, which of his friends was there?
(a) Tom Fitzpatrick.
(b) Kit Carson.
(c) Brigham Young.
(d) Joe Meek.
5. In Chapter 26, what that Jim Bridger possessed is something he took for granted?
6. Who said, "Boys, the trouble with you is you're all spunk and no gumption"?
(a) Phil Kearney.
(b) Jim Bridger.
(c) Horation S. Bingham.
(d) George W. Grummond.
7. In Chapter 14, when Bridger decided to "set his moccasins on a new trail" his experience was likened to that of whom?
(a) Charles Preuss.
(b) Kit Carson.
(c) Francis Parkman.
(d) Tom Fitzpatrick.
8. How old was Jim Bridger's daughter when he sent her to the Whitman Mission School?
(a) Going on ten.
(b) Going on seven.
(c) Going on eight.
(d) Going on nine.
9. In Chapter 26, who said he was "sure a single company of regulars could whip a thousand Indians"?
(a) Sir Walter Scott.
(b) William J. Fetterman.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Phil Kearney.
10. What did the Mormons pile in their houses when they were afraid the troops would sack their city?
(a) Wood chips.
(b) Buffalo chips.
11. What place was the largest trading post in the West?
(a) Fort Hood.
(b) Fort Union.
(c) Fort Bridger.
(d) Fort Laramie.
12. In the beginning of Chapter 25, when French Pete's wife and children were discovered, it was discovered that the Indians had not killed what?
(a) Pete's animals.
(b) Pete's mother.
(d) Pete's father.
13. Bridger was interviewed by a newspaper editor, but the editors friend told him not to take any stock in what?
(a) Greenhorn stories.
(b) Trapper's tales.
(c) Indian folklore.
(d) Mountain legends.
14. Who was in charge of Connor's column that was headed northwest from the Lower Platte?
(a) Colonel Nelson Cole.
(b) Colonel Nick Janice.
(c) Colonel Patrick Powder.
(d) Colonel John Reshaw.
15. How many days did the Donner party stop at Fort Bridger?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who described Jim Bridger as having the eyes of an eagle in Chapter 22?
2. How long was the dog-run or tunnel in Fort Laramie?
3. Who believed Americans had a false notion of war?
4. French Pete had a Sioux wife and how many children?
5. What was the name of the Cheyenne chief in Chapter 25?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)