|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Meek's answer when the Crow chief asked him how many men Bridger had?
(a) One hundred.
2. What was another name for goats mentioned in Chapter 3?
3. How old was Jim when his mother died?
(a) Going on twelve.
(b) Going on seventeen.
(c) Going on fourteen.
(d) Going on ten.
4. Who did Jim apprentice in a blacksmith shop?
(a) John Colter.
(b) Louis Parker.
(c) David Mackaws.
(d) Phil Creamer.
5. Which greenhorn was described as being awake and never resting?
6. What was the first name of General William Henry Harrison's son?
7. Who volunteered with Bridger to keep an eye on Hugh Glass after he was badly injured?
8. What did Tom "slap" over Jim's wounds from the arrows?
(a) White ashes.
(b) A slab of fine wood.
(c) A handful of beaver fur.
(d) A clean washing cloth.
9. What would happen if a greenhorn set up drinks for all the old-timers?
(a) They would have to clean up everyone's campsite.
(b) They would have to sleep outside with no cover in the rain.
(c) They would be shaved bald.
(d) They would have to sing lullabies to the coyotes at night.
10. When the Crow chief came into Bridger's camp and requested peace, what tribe did he name as being the one he needed help in fighting against?
(a) The Snake.
(b) The Sioux.
(c) The Blackfeet.
(d) The Arapaho.
11. How many miles was the keel boat race up the Missouri that Manuel Lisa won?
12. When Washington Irving wrote about Sublette's brigade, he mentioned that there were what perched on top of some of the packs?
(a) Beaver pelts.
(b) Scruffy dogs.
(c) Half breed children.
(d) Black crows.
13. What trapper rule concerning guns was similar to the rule of the Indian camps?
(a) No man should fire a gun within the camp.
(b) No man should keep more than one gun.
(c) No man should keep a gun to just himself.
(d) No man should sleep with his gun empty.
14. What was the name of the steamboat that carried passengers up the Missouri beyond Franklin?
(a) The United.
(b) The National.
(c) The Explorer.
(d) The Independence.
15. No free trapper could do what safely?
(a) Work alone.
(b) Find animal trails.
(c) Discover new landmarks.
(d) Fight Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of work did the Crow Indians make Joseph Meek do for them?
2. What did Jim Bridger love better than people?
3. In Chapter 8, who told Bridger not to be afraid because they knew the Indians and that they were his wife's relatives?
4. How many miles away from Fort Kiowa was Hugh Glass when he came to on the Grand River?
5. In Chapter 9, it was mentioned that on average about one Mountain man was killed every how many days?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)