|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first American to harvest beaver fur west of the Rockies?
(a) Jim Bridger.
(b) Major Henry.
(c) John Colter.
(d) Franklin Tourin.
2. In what year was the trappers rendezvous to be held in Pierre's Hole?
3. What did Joseph Meek call his wife?
(a) Mountain Lamb.
(b) Honey Bear.
(c) Soothing Foal.
(d) Gentle Rabbit.
4. Jim Bridger was a born what?
5. In Chapter 8, Bridger and Fitzpatrick headed back towards Henry's Fork of what river?
(a) The Bear River.
(b) The Snake River.
(c) The Yellowstone River.
(d) The Greene River.
6. What was the name of the steamboat that carried passengers up the Missouri beyond Franklin?
(a) The National.
(b) The Independence.
(c) The Explorer.
(d) The United.
7. In Chapter 5, who was called an "ornery skunk"?
8. Jim Bridger had to know more than just the layout of the country; he had to know how to do what?
(a) Find the Indians.
(b) Guide a horse through danger.
(c) Live in the country.
(d) Teach new trappers the trade.
9. The men's camp equipment consisted of a kettle, a knife, a blanket, and what else?
(a) A cup.
(b) A spoon.
(c) A hat.
(d) A shovel.
10. A man lucky enough to kill a grizzly proudly wore its claws as what?
(a) A belt.
(b) A hair piece.
(c) A saddle decoration.
(d) A necklace.
11. What did the name Casapy mean that the Crow Indians had given to Bridger?
(a) Good Follower.
(b) True Teacher.
(c) Blanket Chief.
(d) Guiding One.
12. Pierre's Hole was home to what tribe that is described as the most implacable of tribes?
13. How old was Jim when his mother died?
(a) Going on seventeen.
(b) Going on ten.
(c) Going on fourteen.
(d) Going on twelve.
14. What did Jim Bridger love better than people?
(d) His belongings.
15. In Chapter 6, the air was described to be like what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was another name for goats mentioned in Chapter 3?
2. When the Blackfeet attacked the Americans in Chapter 6, how much were the beaver pelts worth that were taken?
3. What happened to the men from Sublette's brigade that headed out ahead of the group?
4. In Chapter 4, Colonel Henry Leavenworth advanced up the river with how many companies?
5. In Chapter 4, Joshua Pilcher was appointed sub agent for the campaign and was enabled to bring how many Sioux warriors into the fight?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)