|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would happen if a greenhorn set up drinks for all the old-timers?
(a) They would have to sing lullabies to the coyotes at night.
(b) They would have to clean up everyone's campsite.
(c) They would be shaved bald.
(d) They would have to sleep outside with no cover in the rain.
2. In Chapter 4, Colonel Henry Leavenworth advanced up the river with how many companies?
3. When the Blackfeet attacked the Americans in Chapter 6, how many horses did they take?
4. What was the name of the steamboat that carried passengers up the Missouri beyond Franklin?
(a) The Independence.
(b) The Explorer.
(c) The National.
(d) The United.
5. What did Jim Bridger love better than people?
(b) His belongings.
6. What kind of work did the Crow Indians make Joseph Meek do for them?
(a) Wash the horses.
7. When the Crow chief came into Bridger's camp and requested peace, what tribe did he name as being the one he needed help in fighting against?
(a) The Snake.
(b) The Sioux.
(c) The Blackfeet.
(d) The Arapaho.
8. What was the name of Bridger's favorite racehorse?
9. In Chapter 2, who answered to the name "Major" when Bridger called it out?
(a) Andrew Henry.
(b) Colonel Ashley.
(c) Louis Carter.
(d) Mike Fink.
10. When Washington Irving wrote about Sublette's brigade, he mentioned that there were what perched on top of some of the packs?
(a) Beaver pelts.
(b) Black crows.
(c) Half breed children.
(d) Scruffy dogs.
11. Who did the Crow chief give the new name of "Shiam Shaspusia"?
(a) Jim Bridger.
(b) Tom Fitzpatrick.
(c) Joseph Meek.
(d) Dr. Parker.
12. In Chapter 9, what tribe did Bridger have to buy more horses from?
(a) Nez Perces.
13. In Chapter 7, who was the man that looked thin as a rail, red eyed, ragged, and unarmed?
14. What color was Jim Bridger's horse that he mounted to ride off to save Joseph Meek?
15. How old was Jim when his mother died?
(a) Going on fourteen.
(b) Going on ten.
(c) Going on twelve.
(d) Going on seventeen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first American to harvest beaver fur west of the Rockies?
2. When the Blackfeet attacked the Americans in Chapter 6, how much were the beaver pelts worth that were taken?
3. What happened to the men from Sublette's brigade that headed out ahead of the group?
4. What did Jim Bridger's father do?
5. What was another name for goats mentioned in Chapter 3?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)