|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Meek's answer when the Crow chief asked him how many men Bridger had?
(c) One hundred.
2. Jim was able to have wages left over to buy blankets for what reason?
(a) To keep his bed warm.
(b) To trade with the Indians.
(c) To give to his children.
(d) To use for his horses.
3. What did the young Crow warrior strike Joseph Meek's wife with?
(a) A rock.
(b) An arrow.
(c) A quirt.
(d) A bow.
4. How many miles was the keel boat race up the Missouri that Manuel Lisa won?
5. In Chapter 5, who was called an "ornery skunk"?
6. How many arrows did the young warrior shoot into Jim Bridger's back?
7. At the fort Big Horn men were divided into messes. How many people were a part of one "mess"?
8. Some of the older trappers had advantages over Jim. Who was a better businessman than Jim?
(a) Hugh Glass.
(b) Kit Carson.
(c) Major Henry.
(d) Bill Sublette.
9. Who saved Cotton Mansfield when the Indians were running after him to get his scalp?
(a) Captain Bonneville.
(b) Kit Carson.
(c) Jim Bridger.
(d) Tom Fitzpatrick.
10. Which of the older trappers was a more dashing Indian fighter?
(a) Bill Sublette.
(b) Hugh Glass.
(c) Jed Smith.
(d) Kit Carson.
11. How much was the fur harvest with that Captain William Sublette headed back to St. Louis with?
12. What was the name of the steamboat that carried passengers up the Missouri beyond Franklin?
(a) The National.
(b) The Independence.
(c) The United.
(d) The Explorer.
13. What did the Crow chief tell Joseph Meek he needed to do in order to live?
(a) Kill his brother.
(b) Spy on his own people.
(c) Tell the truth.
(d) Follow their orders.
14. In Chapter 9, it was mentioned that on average about one Mountain man was killed every how many days?
(b) Twenty Five.
15. Which greenhorn was described as being awake and never resting?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, who told Bridger not to be afraid because they knew the Indians and that they were his wife's relatives?
2. When Old Ephraim ran across the Prince Maximilian party, how many rifle's worth of lead did he carry off with him?
3. Even though Bridger was hospitable and generous, he was not fond of what?
4. What day was Jim Bridger's birthday?
5. When Washington Irving wrote about Sublette's brigade, he mentioned that there were what perched on top of some of the packs?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)