|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Meek's answer when the Crow chief asked him how many men Bridger had?
(b) One hundred.
2. What was the first name of General William Henry Harrison's son?
3. Why did Bridger and Fitzpatrick pass across the head of buffalo herds to cover their tracks?
(a) Because the hooves of the buffalo would wipe away their trail.
(b) Because they could always have food nearby.
(c) Because the smell of the buffalo would overpower the man's smell.
(d) Because they could follow the buffalo herd and stay hidden.
4. What was the name of the steamboat that carried passengers up the Missouri beyond Franklin?
(a) The National.
(b) The Explorer.
(c) The Independence.
(d) The United.
5. What did the young Crow warrior strike Joseph Meek's wife with?
(a) An arrow.
(b) A bow.
(c) A quirt.
(d) A rock.
6. What color was Jim Bridger's horse that he mounted to ride off to save Joseph Meek?
7. In Chapter 8, who told Bridger not to be afraid because they knew the Indians and that they were his wife's relatives?
8. Who did Jim apprentice in a blacksmith shop?
(a) David Mackaws.
(b) Louis Parker.
(c) Phil Creamer.
(d) John Colter.
9. In Chapter 4, Colonel Henry Leavenworth advanced up the river with how many companies?
10. What tribe was named, "Big Bellies"?
(a) The Crow.
(b) The Atsena.
(c) The Blackfeet.
(d) The Sioux.
11. When Bridger went to shake the chief's hand in Chapter 8, the chief pushed the muzzle of the gun down and Bridger fired automatically. Where did the the charge explode?
(a) Between Fitzpatrick's feet.
(b) Between a warrior's feet.
(c) Between Bridger's feet.
(d) Between the chief's feet.
12. In Chapter 9, it was mentioned that on average about one Mountain man was killed every how many days?
(c) Twenty Five.
13. How many arrows did the young warrior shoot into Jim Bridger's back?
14. Jim Bridger was a born what?
15. When Washington Irving wrote about Sublette's brigade, he mentioned that there were what perched on top of some of the packs?
(a) Half breed children.
(b) Black crows.
(c) Beaver pelts.
(d) Scruffy dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pierre's Hole was home to what tribe that is described as the most implacable of tribes?
2. How old was Jim Bridger when his family headed west?
3. How many miles away from Fort Kiowa was Hugh Glass when he came to on the Grand River?
4. A prime beaver skin could sell for up to how many dollars?
5. The men's camp equipment consisted of a kettle, a knife, a blanket, and what else?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)