|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What signals the death of the nuns?
2. Why is Ferneze chastised?
3. What does Ferneze do with Calymath after Barabas dies?
4. Who makes plans with Ferneze in Act 5, Scene 4?
5. What do Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore decide to do?
Essay Topic 1
In this play, Barabas's character is representative of Catholic's feelings towards and stereotyping of Judaism in Malta. Write an essay stating the Maltese Catholic's general attitude towards Jews using specific examples from the play to support your generalizations.
Essay Topic 2
Intricate planning has been a theme in this play. Choose three plans from any scene (only one of Barabas's plans) and tell how they were necessary to advance the story. Consider these points when writing:
1. The roles of the characters involved.
2. The previous action that invoked the plan.
3. How the plan's outcome advanced the story.
Essay Topic 3
Ferneze agrees to relinquish control of Malta to the Spanish. From Ferneze's words, actions, or direct implications in the play, how does he justify this decision?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)