|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the messenger reply to Calymath's reply to the invitation?
2. What worries Calymath about the invitation?
3. What would happen if Ithamore told who killed the nuns?
4. What is Abigail's desire for Barabas?
5. What are the final plans Ferneze makes with his confederates at the end of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this play, Barabas's character is representative of Catholic's feelings towards and stereotyping of Judaism in Malta. Write an essay stating the Maltese Catholic's general attitude towards Jews using specific examples from the play to support your generalizations.
Essay Topic 2
Intricate planning has been a theme in this play. Choose three plans from any scene (only one of Barabas's plans) and tell how they were necessary to advance the story. Consider these points when writing:
1. The roles of the characters involved.
2. The previous action that invoked the plan.
3. How the plan's outcome advanced the story.
Essay Topic 3
What has been revealed about the characters of the friars? Consider these points when writing.
1. Their actions--either selfish or charitable.
2. Their motives--either selfish or charitable.
3. Their speech--accompanied or unaccompanied by actions.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)