|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ithamore say when Ferneze confronts him?
2. Who is executed for Friar Bernardine's murder?
3. What do Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore send to Barabas?
4. What worries Calymath about the invitation?
5. What does the sound the fighters are to listen for mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Act 5, Scene 1 displays ultimate self-interest and revenge by all involved. With regard to these two elements write an essay about three of these five characters:
4. Pilia-Borza and Bellamira (as a couple).
Essay Topic 2
Consider the point of view of the Spanish in Act 1, Scene 2 and answer these questions.
1. Why should it be Spain's responsibility to protect Malta?
2. How are the self-interests of Spain satisfied by protecting Malta?
3. How would Spain generally benefit from defeating the Turks?
Essay Topic 3
Intricate planning has been a theme in this play. Choose three plans from any scene (only one of Barabas's plans) and tell how they were necessary to advance the story. Consider these points when writing:
1. The roles of the characters involved.
2. The previous action that invoked the plan.
3. How the plan's outcome advanced the story.
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)