|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mathias's mother not like Jews?
2. How does Barabas conduct his business?
3. What does the governor confide to the vice-admiral?
4. How old is Barabas's daughter?
5. What happens after the governor and vice-admiral agree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ithamore's reaction to the death of Mathias and Lodowick say about him?
2. Why do you think Barabas watches the duel?
3. Why is Bellamira broke?
4. Why does Abigail decide to convert of Catholicism?
5. After conquering Malta, what message does Calymath receive?
6. How do you think Ithamore feels about delivering poisoned porridge to the nuns?
7. Why do you thing Barabas would help the Turks conquer the island?
8. After the Turks have conquered Malta, why would Ferneze think they could be defeated this time?
9. Why doesn't Abigail tell the friar the complete reason she wants to convert?
10. What is unusual about Ferneze and Katherine working together to discover who instigated the duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ferneze go to the Jews and not another source or sources to get the tribute money demanded by the Turks?
Essay Topic 2
Ferneze agrees to relinquish control of Malta to the Spanish. From Ferneze's words, actions, or direct implications in the play, how does he justify this decision?
Essay Topic 3
In Act 2, Scene 3, Barabas is manipulating the lives of Mathias, Lodowick, and Abigail for his own reasons. Explain his motivations considering the three characters and how Barabas's desired outcomes resolve his conflict.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)