|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refuses the Spanish visitor's request when he comes to Malta?
2. Who is the governor of Malta?
3. Why was Marlowe jailed?
4. Where are the prices of the slaves displayed?
5. What does the governor confide to the vice-admiral?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Turks have conquered Malta, why would Ferneze think they could be defeated this time?
2. In Act 1, Scene 1, identify and give examples of Barabas's most outstanding characteristic.
3. How do you think Ithamore feels about delivering poisoned porridge to the nuns?
4. How does Barabas react to Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore's blackmail?
5. Do you believe Barabas would really rather die than be poor?
6. How does Barabas die?
7. What does the prologue reveal about Marlowe's personal life?
8. Why does Barabas object to Mathias as a suitor for Abigail?
9. Why do you think Abigail agrees to obey Barabas's instructions and deceive the nuns?
10. What do Barabas and Katherine have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abigail knew of her father's avarice and murderous nature. Write an essay about whether or not Abigail should have revealed Barabas's murders immediately and the consequences if she had. Why did Marlowe have Abigail keep silent until just before she dies?
Essay Topic 2
Ferneze agrees to relinquish control of Malta to the Spanish. From Ferneze's words, actions, or direct implications in the play, how does he justify this decision?
Essay Topic 3
Barabas states he would rather be dead than poor. What words or actions of Barabas support his statement?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)