|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Barabas prefer to be paid in gold rather than valuable goods?
2. Why does Mathias's mother not like Jews?
3. Where did the bag and its contents come from?
4. What reason was given for the Jews being ordered to meet at the senate house?
5. Why does the approaching man pass by the prostitute?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, identify and give examples of Barabas's most outstanding characteristic.
2. How does Barabas's reaction to Abigail's departure show his selfishness?
3. What is Abigail's reaction to her betrothal to Lodowick?
4. What was the letter delivered to Ithamore?
5. What does the prologue reveal about Marlowe's ability as a playwright?
6. What is unusual about Ferneze and Katherine working together to discover who instigated the duel?
7. Why is Ferneze happy to learn that the Spanish navy has fought with and weakened the Turkish ships?
8. How does Barabas react to Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore's blackmail?
9. What do Pilia-Borza and Bellamira decide after Ithamore tells them about Barabas's murders?
10. Why is Friar Jacomo accused of killing Friar Bernardine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Support three reasons why Abigail agrees to lie and enter the convent to retrieve her father's gold.
Essay Topic 2
Abigail knew of her father's avarice and murderous nature. Write an essay about whether or not Abigail should have revealed Barabas's murders immediately and the consequences if she had. Why did Marlowe have Abigail keep silent until just before she dies?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ferneze go to the Jews and not another source or sources to get the tribute money demanded by the Turks?
This section contains 1,421 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)