|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the governor agree to let the Spanish stay?
2. How may years tribute do the Turks demand?
3. Why is the governor happy?
4. What does Abigail tell the friar she's been thinking about?
5. Who does the governor ask for physical assistance against the Turks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might Mathias and Lodowick have done to prevent the duel?
2. What does Barabas calling Abigail his star shining in the east imply?
3. What do Machevill and Barabas have in common?
4. Why does Barabas object to Mathias as a suitor for Abigail?
5. Why doesn't Abigail tell the friar the complete reason she wants to convert?
6. How do you think Ithamore feels about delivering poisoned porridge to the nuns?
7. What is Ferneze's motivation for accepting help from the Spanish?
8. What is Martin del Bosco's motivation for offering help to Malta?
9. What do Barabas and Katherine have in common?
10. After conquering Malta, what message does Calymath receive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What has been revealed about the characters of the friars? Consider these points when writing.
1. Their actions--either selfish or charitable.
2. Their motives--either selfish or charitable.
3. Their speech--accompanied or unaccompanied by actions.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail three specific areas of life over which Ithamore has no control. What would be Ithamore's be attitude towards each of these three areas? Should Ithamore take action in any of these three areas?
Essay Topic 3
Intricate planning has been a theme in this play. Choose three plans from any scene (only one of Barabas's plans) and tell how they were necessary to advance the story. Consider these points when writing:
1. The roles of the characters involved.
2. The previous action that invoked the plan.
3. How the plan's outcome advanced the story.
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)