|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Barabas enlist to retrieve his money from its hiding place?
2. What does Barabas discover about Abigail?
3. When was The Jew of Malta first performed?
4. Why does Barabas think the Jews were ordered to meet at the senate house?
5. What happens after the governor and vice-admiral agree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the prologue reveal about Marlowe's personal life?
2. How do you think Ithamore feels about delivering poisoned porridge to the nuns?
3. What three religions are represented and who or what represents them in the first scene of Act 1?
4. Why does Barabas object to Lodowick as a suitor for Abigail?
5. Why does Barabas object to Mathias as a suitor for Abigail?
6. After becoming the new governor, what deal does Barabas make with Ferneze?
7. Every nun at the nunnery died. How are some ways one might have lived?
8. What does Ferneze do when Pilia-Borza and Bellamira reveal Barabas's murders and Ithamore's involvement?
9. In Act 1, Scene 1, identify and give examples of Barabas's most outstanding characteristic.
10. Why doesn't Abigail tell the friar the complete reason she wants to convert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Abigail's agreement to lie for her father will begin her corruption? Why or why not? Support your answer from the text of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the point of view of the Spanish in Act 1, Scene 2 and answer these questions.
1. Why should it be Spain's responsibility to protect Malta?
2. How are the self-interests of Spain satisfied by protecting Malta?
3. How would Spain generally benefit from defeating the Turks?
Essay Topic 3
Ferenze demands half the money of all the Jews and their conversion to Catholicism. Explain the reasons Ferneze made this demand of the Jews in particular and the reasons the Jews comply.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)