|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the slave Barabas buys?
2. What does Barabas discover about Abigail?
3. Who approaches the prostitute and her friend while they are talking?
4. Why does the approaching man pass by the prostitute?
5. Is Barabas concerned about losing his hidden money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Barabas escape prison?
2. Why do you think Ithamore says he hopes Barabas will pay him for delivering the message?
3. Why does Ferneze tell Calymath of Barabas's plan to kill Calymath?
4. How do you think Ithamore feels about delivering poisoned porridge to the nuns?
5. Why does Calymath ignore the possibility that the feast may be a trap?
6. Why does Barabas object to Lodowick as a suitor for Abigail?
7. How does Barabas get the money hidden in the nunnery?
8. How does Barabas die?
9. How does Marlowe confuse Machevill and Machiavelli?
10. After conquering Malta, what message does Calymath receive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ferneze go to the Jews and not another source or sources to get the tribute money demanded by the Turks?
Essay Topic 2
Intricate planning has been a theme in this play. Choose three plans from any scene (only one of Barabas's plans) and tell how they were necessary to advance the story. Consider these points when writing:
1. The roles of the characters involved.
2. The previous action that invoked the plan.
3. How the plan's outcome advanced the story.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Abigail's agreement to lie for her father will begin her corruption? Why or why not? Support your answer from the text of the play.
This section contains 1,370 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)