Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who represents the Turks at the meeting with the Maltese governor?
2. What exactly is in the bag of the prostitute's friend'?
3. After executing Barabas's final step in the plan against the nuns, what does Barabas's accomplice do?
4. Where does Abigail send Ithamore after he's explained what happened because of the letters?
5. What is Abigail worried will happen when she helps her father retrieve his gold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Barabas object to Lodowick as a suitor for Abigail?
2. Why does Katherine object to Mathias speaking to Barabas?
3. In Act 1, Scene 1, identify and give examples of Barabas's most outstanding characteristic.
4. Why does Calymath ignore the possibility that the feast may be a trap?
5. What does Ferneze do when Pilia-Borza and Bellamira reveal Barabas's murders and Ithamore's involvement?
6. After becoming the new governor, what deal does Barabas make with Ferneze?
7. What does Ferneze suggest to Katherine that they do with the bodies of their sons?
8. What does it say about Barabas that Pilia-Borza found his gold?
9. What does the prologue reveal about Marlowe's personal life?
10. How does Barabas get rid of Mathias and Lodowick?
Essay Topic 1
Intricate planning has been a theme in this play. Choose three plans from any scene (only one of Barabas's plans) and tell how they were necessary to advance the story. Consider these points when writing:
1. The roles of the characters involved.
2. The previous action that invoked the plan.
3. How the plan's outcome advanced the story.
Essay Topic 2
What has been revealed about the characters of the friars? Consider these points when writing.
1. Their actions--either selfish or charitable.
2. Their motives--either selfish or charitable.
3. Their speech--accompanied or unaccompanied by actions.
Essay Topic 3
Abigail knew of her father's avarice and murderous nature. Write an essay about whether or not Abigail should have revealed Barabas's murders immediately and the consequences if she had. Why did Marlowe have Abigail keep silent until just before she dies?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)