|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the governor and vice-admiral agree?
2. What will happen if the governor invites the Spanish to stay?
3. What does the governor confide to the vice-admiral?
4. After executing Barabas's final step in the plan against the nuns, what does Barabas's accomplice do?
5. Why does Barabas betroth his daughter to a man she doesn't love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marlowe confuse Machevill and Machiavelli?
2. What how does Barabas react when the friars confront him about the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick?
3. How does Barabas escape prison?
4. What does Barabas calling Abigail his star shining in the east imply?
5. What is Abigail's reaction to her betrothal to Lodowick?
6. Why do you think Abigail agrees to obey Barabas's instructions and deceive the nuns?
7. What does Ferneze suggest to Katherine that they do with the bodies of their sons?
8. What do Machevill and Barabas have in common?
9. Why is Ferneze happy to learn that the Spanish navy has fought with and weakened the Turkish ships?
10. Why do you think Del Bosca suggest writing to his king, considering how long it would take for a reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the point of view of the Spanish in Act 1, Scene 2 and answer these questions.
1. Why should it be Spain's responsibility to protect Malta?
2. How are the self-interests of Spain satisfied by protecting Malta?
3. How would Spain generally benefit from defeating the Turks?
Essay Topic 2
What has been revealed about the characters of the friars? Consider these points when writing.
1. Their actions--either selfish or charitable.
2. Their motives--either selfish or charitable.
3. Their speech--accompanied or unaccompanied by actions.
Essay Topic 3
What does Barabas's decision to kill Abigail and the nuns reveal about Barabas's character and his feelings towards his daughter? Since Ithamore must obey his master, does his subsequent reaction to the poisoning reveal anything about him? What conclusions can you draw considering their attitudes and actions?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)