|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Barabas feel after he gets his money?
2. Why does Barabas betroth his daughter to a man she doesn't love?
3. When Ithamore returns home in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he tell Abigail he's been doing?
4. What question does Abigail ask Ithamore when he returns from delivering the letters?
5. What is Barabas's political affiliation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Martin del Bosco's motivation for offering help to Malta?
2. What was the letter delivered to Ithamore?
3. Why doesn't Abigail tell the friar the complete reason she wants to convert?
4. Why does Barabas object to Lodowick as a suitor for Abigail?
5. What does the prologue reveal about Marlowe's ability as a playwright?
6. How does Barabas get the money hidden in the nunnery?
7. Why are Ferneze, some knights, and Del Bosco all meeting together as a united front?
8. Why is Ferneze happy to learn that the Spanish navy has fought with and weakened the Turkish ships?
9. What does Ithamore's reaction to the death of Mathias and Lodowick say about him?
10. When Barabas first appears in the play, how does he feel about politics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abigail abhors her father's murders but does not immediately betray him. Speculate three reasons why she remains silent. Support your reasons with logical thinking that is compatible with Abigail's character.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the story, what are Barabas's attitudes about wealth when he considers
2. Other people.
3. Material possessions.
Essay Topic 3
In Act 2, Scene 3, Barabas is manipulating the lives of Mathias, Lodowick, and Abigail for his own reasons. Explain his motivations considering the three characters and how Barabas's desired outcomes resolve his conflict.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)