|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Barabas think the Jews were ordered to meet at the senate house?
2. Why does the governor agree to let the Spanish stay?
3. Who does Barabas's daughter love?
4. Who represents the Turks at the meeting with the Maltese governor?
5. How may years tribute do the Turks demand?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think Ithamore feels about delivering poisoned porridge to the nuns?
2. What do Barabas and Katherine have in common?
3. Why does Abigail decide to convert of Catholicism?
4. How does Barabas enlist his daughter Abigail to help retrieve his hidden gold?
5. Why do you think Del Bosca suggest writing to his king, considering how long it would take for a reply?
6. After becoming the new governor, what deal does Barabas make with Ferneze?
7. Do you believe Barabas would really rather die than be poor?
8. What does the prologue reveal about Marlowe's ability as a playwright?
9. What is Ferneze's motivation for accepting help from the Spanish?
10. How does Barabas die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Barabas's decision to kill Abigail and the nuns reveal about Barabas's character and his feelings towards his daughter? Since Ithamore must obey his master, does his subsequent reaction to the poisoning reveal anything about him? What conclusions can you draw considering their attitudes and actions?
Essay Topic 2
Ferenze demands half the money of all the Jews and their conversion to Catholicism. Explain the reasons Ferneze made this demand of the Jews in particular and the reasons the Jews comply.
Essay Topic 3
After helping the Turks conquer Malta, Barabas doesn't really want the governorship they have given him. Write an essay supporting three different reasons why Barabas feels this way.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)