|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ithamore do after he's delivered the letters?
2. Where is the man approaching the prostitute and her friend coming from?
3. What happens to the duelers?
4. What does Barabas discover about Abigail?
5. Where is Barabas's gold hidden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Friar Jacomo accused of killing Friar Bernardine?
2. What does Ferneze tell the bashaw when he comes to collect the tribute?
3. Why does Barabas lose his money and his home?
4. When Barabas first appears in the play, how does he feel about politics?
5. What three religions are represented and who or what represents them in the first scene of Act 1?
6. What was the letter delivered to Ithamore?
7. What does the prologue reveal about Marlowe's ability as a playwright?
8. What does Ferneze do when Pilia-Borza and Bellamira reveal Barabas's murders and Ithamore's involvement?
9. What does Abigail think of her father when she learns he is responsible for the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick?
10. Why are Ferneze, some knights, and Del Bosco all meeting together as a united front?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 2, Scene 3, Barabas is manipulating the lives of Mathias, Lodowick, and Abigail for his own reasons. Explain his motivations considering the three characters and how Barabas's desired outcomes resolve his conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Abigail's agreement to lie for her father will begin her corruption? Why or why not? Support your answer from the text of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Abigail abhors her father's murders but does not immediately betray him. Speculate three reasons why she remains silent. Support your reasons with logical thinking that is compatible with Abigail's character.
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)