|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a counting house?
2. What does Barabas decide once Abigail has left his house?
3. Why does Barabas think the Jews were ordered to meet at the senate house?
4. Whom does Barabas warn his slave against trusting?
5. How does Barabas feel after he gets his money?
Short Essay Questions
1. If you were Ferneze, would you have told Del Bosca about Barabas's plan to kill Calymath?
2. What do Pilia-Borza and Bellamira decide after Ithamore tells them about Barabas's murders?
3. How does Barabas die?
4. What does the prologue reveal about Marlowe's ability as a playwright?
5. What does Ferneze do when Pilia-Borza and Bellamira reveal Barabas's murders and Ithamore's involvement?
6. Why does Barabas object to Lodowick as a suitor for Abigail?
7. Do you think Barabas will really pay taxes on the cargo from his ships?
8. How does Barabas enlist his daughter Abigail to help retrieve his hidden gold?
9. After the Turks have conquered Malta, why would Ferneze think they could be defeated this time?
10. What is unusual about Ferneze and Katherine working together to discover who instigated the duel?
Essay Topic 1
What does Barabas's decision to kill Abigail and the nuns reveal about Barabas's character and his feelings towards his daughter? Since Ithamore must obey his master, does his subsequent reaction to the poisoning reveal anything about him? What conclusions can you draw considering their attitudes and actions?
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail three specific areas of life over which Ithamore has no control. What would be Ithamore's be attitude towards each of these three areas? Should Ithamore take action in any of these three areas?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the point of view of the Spanish in Act 1, Scene 2 and answer these questions.
1. Why should it be Spain's responsibility to protect Malta?
2. How are the self-interests of Spain satisfied by protecting Malta?
3. How would Spain generally benefit from defeating the Turks?
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)