|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen if the governor invites the Spanish to stay?
2. What does Barabas call his daughter when talking to Lodowick at the slave market?
3. What does Abigail risk by following Barabas's instructions to retrieve the gold?
4. What does Ithamore do after he's delivered the letters?
5. What does his slave tell Barabas about himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abigail decide to convert of Catholicism?
2. What was the letter delivered to Ithamore?
3. Why do you think Barabas uses a poison that is slow acting when he poisons the porridge?
4. What might Mathias and Lodowick have done to prevent the duel?
5. Why do you think Abigail agrees to obey Barabas's instructions and deceive the nuns?
6. Why does Barabas object to Mathias as a suitor for Abigail?
7. How does Barabas die?
8. Do you think Barabas should trust Ithamore not to reveal Barabas's crimes?
9. Why does Ferneze tell Calymath of Barabas's plan to kill Calymath?
10. Why does Katherine object to Mathias speaking to Barabas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abigail knew of her father's avarice and murderous nature. Write an essay about whether or not Abigail should have revealed Barabas's murders immediately and the consequences if she had. Why did Marlowe have Abigail keep silent until just before she dies?
Essay Topic 2
This play demonstrates the strife of religious differences, yet often these differences are overlooked to further a plan for wealth or power. Chose three instances in the play where religious differences are overlooked by the participants of a plot. Consider these points when writing:
1. The religions of those agreeing to plot together.
2. Former statements or actions used by individual plotters against the religion of those he is plotting with.
3. The individual motives that overcame a difference of religion that resulted in unexpected cooperation.
Essay Topic 3
Abigail abhors her father's murders but does not immediately betray him. Speculate three reasons why she remains silent. Support your reasons with logical thinking that is compatible with Abigail's character.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)