Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a counting house?
2. What do the duelists' parents find?
3. Where did several of Marlowe's plays take place?
4. What does Abigail tell the friar she's been thinking about?
5. Why did the Jews flee to Malta?
Short Essay Questions
1. After conquering Malta, what message does Calymath receive?
2. How does Barabas react to Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore's blackmail?
3. Why does Katherine object to Mathias speaking to Barabas?
4. What is Abigail's reaction to her betrothal to Lodowick?
5. Why do you think Abigail agrees to obey Barabas's instructions and deceive the nuns?
6. How does Barabas enlist his daughter Abigail to help retrieve his hidden gold?
7. Why is Ferneze happy to learn that the Spanish navy has fought with and weakened the Turkish ships?
8. When Barabas first appears in the play, how does he feel about politics?
9. How do you think Ithamore feels about delivering poisoned porridge to the nuns?
10. Why are Ferneze, some knights, and Del Bosco all meeting together as a united front?
Abigail knew of her father's avarice and murderous nature. Write an essay about whether or not Abigail should have revealed Barabas's murders immediately and the consequences if she had. Why did Marlowe have Abigail keep silent until just before she dies?
Ferneze agrees to relinquish control of Malta to the Spanish. From Ferneze's words, actions, or direct implications in the play, how does he justify this decision?
Consider the point of view of the Spanish in Act 1, Scene 2 and answer these questions.
1. Why should it be Spain's responsibility to protect Malta?
2. How are the self-interests of Spain satisfied by protecting Malta?
3. How would Spain generally benefit from defeating the Turks?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)