|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barabas call his daughter when talking to Lodowick at the slave market?
2. Is Barabas concerned about losing his hidden money?
3. Why does the approaching man pass by the prostitute?
4. Why is the governor happy?
5. Why does the Spanish armada come to Malta?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abigail think of her father when she learns he is responsible for the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick?
2. How does Marlowe confuse Machevill and Machiavelli?
3. How do you think Ithamore feels about delivering poisoned porridge to the nuns?
4. Why do you think Del Bosca suggest writing to his king, considering how long it would take for a reply?
5. In Act 1, Scene 1, identify and give examples of Barabas's most outstanding characteristic.
6. What does Ithamore's reaction to the death of Mathias and Lodowick say about him?
7. How does Barabas die?
8. Why doesn't Abigail tell the friar the complete reason she wants to convert?
9. What does the prologue reveal about Marlowe's ability as a playwright?
10. What does Ferneze suggest to Katherine that they do with the bodies of their sons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ferneze agrees to relinquish control of Malta to the Spanish. From Ferneze's words, actions, or direct implications in the play, how does he justify this decision?
Essay Topic 2
Abigail abhors her father's murders but does not immediately betray him. Speculate three reasons why she remains silent. Support your reasons with logical thinking that is compatible with Abigail's character.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the story, what are Barabas's attitudes about wealth when he considers
2. Other people.
3. Material possessions.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)