|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who supervises the off-loading of the first ship?
2. Which duelist is Katherine's son?
3. What does Abigail ask the friar?
4. What is Barabas's political affiliation?
5. What does Barabas says he will do if he doesn't recover his money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marlowe confuse Machevill and Machiavelli?
2. Why does Katherine object to Mathias speaking to Barabas?
3. Why does Ferneze tell Calymath of Barabas's plan to kill Calymath?
4. Why do you think Ithamore says he hopes Barabas will pay him for delivering the message?
5. How does Barabas escape prison?
6. Why is Ferneze happy to learn that the Spanish navy has fought with and weakened the Turkish ships?
7. How do you think Ithamore feels about delivering poisoned porridge to the nuns?
8. What do Barabas and Katherine have in common?
9. Why do you thing Barabas would help the Turks conquer the island?
10. Why does Barabas object to Mathias as a suitor for Abigail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 2, Scene 3, Barabas is manipulating the lives of Mathias, Lodowick, and Abigail for his own reasons. Explain his motivations considering the three characters and how Barabas's desired outcomes resolve his conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Act 5, Scene 1 displays ultimate self-interest and revenge by all involved. With regard to these two elements write an essay about three of these five characters:
4. Pilia-Borza and Bellamira (as a couple).
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the story, what are Barabas's attitudes about wealth when he considers
2. Other people.
3. Material possessions.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)