|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Barabas's daughter?
2. What does Barabas says he will do if he doesn't recover his money?
3. What question does Abigail ask Ithamore when he returns from delivering the letters?
4. What does Barabas use in his plan against the nuns?
5. Why is the prostitute depressed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Barabas die?
2. How do you think Ithamore feels about delivering poisoned porridge to the nuns?
3. After conquering Malta, what message does Calymath receive?
4. How does Barabas's reaction to Abigail's departure show his selfishness?
5. Why is Friar Jacomo accused of killing Friar Bernardine?
6. Why do you think Barabas watches the duel?
7. After the Turks have conquered Malta, why would Ferneze think they could be defeated this time?
8. Why do you think Ithamore says he hopes Barabas will pay him for delivering the message?
9. What might Mathias and Lodowick have done to prevent the duel?
10. What is unusual about Ferneze and Katherine working together to discover who instigated the duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a slave, Ithamore, has been used throughout the play. Document each event of how Ithamore's life has been manipulated. Choose two of those events and explain the motivations and outcomes of those events. How did the events affect Ithamore and those other characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
After helping the Turks conquer Malta, Barabas doesn't really want the governorship they have given him. Write an essay supporting three different reasons why Barabas feels this way.
Essay Topic 3
In Act 2, Scene 3, Barabas is manipulating the lives of Mathias, Lodowick, and Abigail for his own reasons. Explain his motivations considering the three characters and how Barabas's desired outcomes resolve his conflict.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)