|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Barabas's daughter?
2. Who approaches the prostitute and her friend while they are talking?
3. Why aren't the prisoners captured by the Spanish allowed to be sold?
4. Why is the governor happy?
5. What reason was given for the Jews being ordered to meet at the senate house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Barabas get the money hidden in the nunnery?
2. Why does Barabas object to Mathias as a suitor for Abigail?
3. What does Ithamore's reaction to the death of Mathias and Lodowick say about him?
4. What do Barabas and Katherine have in common?
5. Do you think Barabas will really pay taxes on the cargo from his ships?
6. What do Machevill and Barabas have in common?
7. What is Abigail's reaction to her betrothal to Lodowick?
8. What does it say about Barabas that Pilia-Borza found his gold?
9. What is Ferneze's motivation for accepting help from the Spanish?
10. What does Abigail say to Friar Bernardine?
Essay Topic 1
What does Barabas's decision to kill Abigail and the nuns reveal about Barabas's character and his feelings towards his daughter? Since Ithamore must obey his master, does his subsequent reaction to the poisoning reveal anything about him? What conclusions can you draw considering their attitudes and actions?
Essay Topic 2
Support three reasons why Abigail agrees to lie and enter the convent to retrieve her father's gold.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Abigail's agreement to lie for her father will begin her corruption? Why or why not? Support your answer from the text of the play.
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)