|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the governor happy?
(a) The Spanish have weakened the Turkish forces.
(b) He anticipates taxes from the presence of the Spanish.
(c) He anticipates being given money.
(d) The Spanish have defeated the Turkish forces.
2. What does Abigail think her father lacks?
(a) Common sense.
3. Why do the characters in Act 3, Scene 2 challenge each other to a duel?
(a) They both received forged letters.
(b) They both hate each other.
(c) They both are betrothed to Abigail.
(d) They each want the other one dead.
4. How does Barabas's accomplice gain access to where the money is hidden?
(a) By knocking out the watchman.
(b) By simply walking in unattended.
(c) By lying to the people there.
(d) By crawling through a broken window.
5. What order does the governor issue concerning the tribute?
(a) All Jews must enlist in the military to fight the Turks and house soldiers in their homes.
(b) All Jews are being sold as slaves to the Turks and their possessions auctioned.
(c) All Jews have one week to pack personal items only and leave town.
(d) All Jews must surrender half their money and convert to Catholicism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jews who will not comply with the governor's order?
2. Why does the Spanish armada come to Malta?
3. What question does Abigail ask Ithamore when he returns from delivering the letters?
4. How does Barabas conduct his business?
5. What does Abigail remind Barabas of when she retrieves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ferneze do when Pilia-Borza and Bellamira reveal Barabas's murders and Ithamore's involvement?
2. Why do you think Barabas watches the duel?
3. Why doesn't Abigail tell the friar the complete reason she wants to convert?
4. Do you believe Bellamira was interested in Ithamore as a customer or as a man?
5. Why does Ferneze tell Calymath of Barabas's plan to kill Calymath?
6. How does Marlowe confuse Machevill and Machiavelli?
7. In Act 1, Scene 1, identify and give examples of Barabas's most outstanding characteristic.
8. What three religions are represented and who or what represents them in the first scene of Act 1?
9. What does Abigail think of her father when she learns he is responsible for the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick?
10. Do you believe Barabas would really rather die than be poor?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)