|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abigail tell Ithamore after he's brought the friar?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Find her father.
(d) Go outside.
2. What does his slave tell Barabas about himself?
(a) That he has hurt Christians.
(b) That he has hurt Muslims.
(c) That he has hurt Jews.
(d) That he has hurt atheists.
3. Why does Barabas prefer to be paid in gold rather than valuable goods?
(a) Gold takes up less space.
(b) Gold is as good as money in any nation.
(c) Goods can be burned or lost.
(d) Goods can lose their value.
4. Where are the prices of the slaves displayed?
(a) On their backs.
(b) On their chests.
(c) On their right arms.
(d) On their foreheads.
5. Who approaches the prostitute and her friend while they are talking?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why may some exact words of Marlowe's plays seem familiar?
2. Which duelist is Katherine's son?
3. Which duelist is Ferneze's son?
4. Who tells her son he shouldn't speak to Jews?
5. What happens to Jews who will not comply with the governor's order?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Barabas react to Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore's blackmail?
2. Do you think Barabas will really pay taxes on the cargo from his ships?
3. What is Abigail's reaction to her betrothal to Lodowick?
4. Do you believe Bellamira was interested in Ithamore as a customer or as a man?
5. What three religions are represented and who or what represents them in the first scene of Act 1?
6. After becoming the new governor, what deal does Barabas make with Ferneze?
7. How does Barabas die?
8. What does Ferneze tell the bashaw when he comes to collect the tribute?
9. Why is Bellamira broke?
10. After conquering Malta, what message does Calymath receive?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)