|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the vice-admiral respond to the governor's confidence?
(a) He says he is insulted.
(b) He says he and his ships will leave Malta.
(c) He asks to recruit some Maltese soldiers.
(d) He suggests the Spanish protect Malta.
2. What does the governor confide to the vice-admiral?
(a) That the Spanish are unwelcome in Malta.
(b) That Malta has a large army.
(c) That theTurks are threatening Malta.
(d) That Malta resents the Spanish.
3. What is Barabas's political affiliation?
(a) He supports the Spanish.
(b) He has none.
(c) He supports the local government.
(d) He supports the Turks.
4. What happens to Jews who will not comply with the governor's order?
(a) They and their families will be executed.
(b) They and their families' money and possessions will be taken.
(c) They and their families will be sold as slaves.
(d) They and their families will be deported.
5. Why was Marlowe jailed?
(a) He plotted the governor's murder.
(b) He wrote against the Catholic church.
(c) He got drunk and started a fight.
(d) He allegedly wrote lies about someone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Barabas feel after he gets his money?
2. What circumstance would want to make Barabas die?
3. What does Barabas plan for the nuns?
4. Who does Barabas enlist to retrieve his money from its hiding place?
5. What does Barabas's character represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Martin del Bosco's motivation for offering help to Malta?
2. What might Mathias and Lodowick have done to prevent the duel?
3. Why do you think Ithamore says he hopes Barabas will pay him for delivering the message?
4. How does Barabas react to Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore's blackmail?
5. Why do you think Barabas uses a poison that is slow acting when he poisons the porridge?
6. Do you believe Barabas would really rather die than be poor?
7. Why does Barabas lose his money and his home?
8. Why do you thing Barabas would help the Turks conquer the island?
9. How does Barabas get rid of Mathias and Lodowick?
10. What does Barabas do in response to the plot to blackmail him?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)