|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why aren't the prisoners captured by the Spanish allowed to be sold?
(a) For fear their price would be too high.
(b) For fear the Turks would retaliate.
(c) For fear that taxes would not be paid.
(d) For fear the Spanish would retaliate.
2. Where does Abigail appear to Barabas at the nunnery?
(a) At an upper window.
(b) In the back yard.
(c) At the back door.
(d) On the street.
3. How does the governor betray Malta?
(a) He allows the Turkish prisoners to escape.
(b) He keeps all the money from the sale of the prisoners.
(c) He conspires with the vice-admiral to overthrow the government.
(d) He gives Malta over to Spanish rule.
4. Why is the prostitute depressed?
(a) She's being put out of the city.
(b) She hates her customers.
(c) She has no money.
(d) She's dying.
5. What two systems were partnered in Marlowe's time?
(a) Judaism and finance.
(b) Politics and Judaism.
(c) Religion and politics.
(d) Religion and finance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes the delivery to the nunnery?
2. What happens after the governor and vice-admiral agree?
3. When was The Jew of Malta first performed?
4. What did other playwrights get from Marlowe?
5. When Ithamore returns home in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he tell Abigail he's been doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Barabas escape prison?
2. What does the prologue reveal about Marlowe's ability as a playwright?
3. Do you think Barabas should trust Ithamore not to reveal Barabas's crimes?
4. How does Barabas enlist his daughter Abigail to help retrieve his hidden gold?
5. In Act 1, Scene 1, identify and give examples of Barabas's most outstanding characteristic.
6. What does Ithamore's reaction to the death of Mathias and Lodowick say about him?
7. Why does Barabas lose his money and his home?
8. Why doesn't Abigail tell the friar the complete reason she wants to convert?
9. What does the prologue reveal about Marlowe's personal life?
10. How does Barabas's reaction to Abigail's departure show his selfishness?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)