|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the governor of Malta?
2. What does Barabas say as he is ruining what Ithamore brings out?
(a) He promises Ithamore a reward for delivering it.
(b) He remarks that revenge will be sweet.
(c) He invokes curses on those who'll be getting it.
(d) He prays those who get it will become ill.
3. How may years tribute do the Turks demand?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
4. When Ithamore returns home in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he tell Abigail he's been doing?
(a) Talking with the Spanish.
(b) Visiting a friend.
(c) Delivering letters for her father.
(d) Drinking in a tavern.
5. Why does the governor agree to let the Spanish stay?
(a) He will become Malta's king.
(b) He will be paid a large amount of money.
(c) He will still be governor.
(d) He will be allowed to live.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barabas use in his plan against the nuns?
2. Whom does Barabas warn his slave against trusting?
3. What does Barabas decide once Abigail has left his house?
4. When Abigail decides to remove herself permanently from her father's household, what does she leave for her father?
5. When was The Jew of Malta first performed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barabas calling Abigail his star shining in the east imply?
2. What does Barabas do in response to the plot to blackmail him?
3. What do Barabas and Katherine have in common?
4. How does Barabas enlist his daughter Abigail to help retrieve his hidden gold?
5. Why does Abigail decide to convert of Catholicism?
6. Do you believe Bellamira was interested in Ithamore as a customer or as a man?
7. Why do you think Barabas uses a poison that is slow acting when he poisons the porridge?
8. Why are Ferneze, some knights, and Del Bosco all meeting together as a united front?
9. Why is Ferneze happy to learn that the Spanish navy has fought with and weakened the Turkish ships?
10. What is Ferneze's motivation for accepting help from the Spanish?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)