|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After inspecting the island, what does Calymath receive?
(a) An invitation to the nunnery.
(b) An invitation from Barabas for a feast.
(c) An invitation from a prostitute.
(d) An invitation to the monastery.
2. After the delivery, what is revealed inside the nunnery?
(a) Gold has been stolen.
(b) Nuns are dying.
(c) A fire has been set.
(d) Abigail has changed her mind about converting.
3. What does the bashaw demand?
(a) The execution of Ferneze.
(b) The surrender of the Spanish ships.
(c) The surrender of Malta.
(d) The gold tribute.
4. Who helps the Turks conquer Malta?
(c) Martin del Bosco.
5. What does Ferneze do with Calymath after Barabas dies?
(a) He imprisons Calymath.
(b) He lets Calymath and his men sail away.
(c) He kills Calymath.
(d) He holds Calymath and demands ransom from Calymath's father.
6. What does Friar Bernardine promise Abigail?
(a) That he will tell no one what Abigail revealed to him.
(b) That she will be forgiven.
(c) That the church will gladly accept her money.
(d) That he will contact Barabas about his conversion.
7. What are the final plans Ferneze makes with his confederates at the end of the play?
(a) The friars will burn the monastery with Calymath's men inside.
(b) Barabas will prepare a poison for Calymath and his men.
(c) Martin del Bosco will pretend to join Calymath.
(d) The audience doesn't know any specifics of the plans.
8. What does Ferneze do when he and the planners finish talking?
(a) He makes a toast to their victory.
(b) He sends them away.
(c) He hides until the plan is executed.
(d) He writes out the details of the plan.
9. What does Pilia-Borza bring Barabas at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3?
(a) A false message to get him out of the house.
(b) A poisoned flower.
(c) A warning to flee.
(d) A second letter demanding more money.
10. What does Barabas say when Ferneze confronts him?
(a) That Ferneze shouldn't believe a prostitute, thief and slave.
(b) That Ferneze should leave the past in the past.
(c) That the young men killed each other over love.
(d) That Ithamore alone killed the young men.
11. What is a knight?
(a) A nobleman who fights for his country.
(b) A regular soldier with a special title.
(c) A soldier recruited from another country.
(d) A soldier who has special duties.
12. What does Ferneze do after talking with Pilia-Borza and Bellamira just before they die?
(a) Send for soldiers.
(b) Send for a shovel and cart.
(c) Send for the friar.
(d) Send for Barabas and Ithamore.
13. What does Bellamira send Ithamore?
(a) A blackmail note.
(b) A flower.
(c) A love letter.
(d) A piece of gold.
14. What is the last thing Ferenze tells the planners?
(a) To say goodbye to their families.
(b) To get weapons for the fight.
(c) To tell the plan to every able bodied man.
(d) To have courage because the plan is foolproof.
15. What does Ithamore warn Pilia-Borza and Bellamira about?
(a) That Barabas is suspious of Pilia-Borza and Bellamira.
(b) That the authorities are suspious of Pilia-Borza and Bellamira.
(c) That Barabas likes to poison his enemies.
(d) That Barabas is suspious of Ithamore.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money was pledged to Barabas?
2. To whom does the bashaw speak?
3. What are the fighters to listen for?
4. What do Pilia-Borza and Bellamira hint at doing?
5. What signals the death of the nuns?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)