|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a bashaw?
(a) The leader of the Turkish ship.
(b) A Turkish messenger.
(c) A high ranking Turkish military man.
(d) A Turkish slave.
2. What does the sound the fighters are to listen for mean?
(a) It's time to fight.
(b) It's time to hide.
(c) It's time to retreat.
(d) It's time to gather the fighters.
3. After inspecting the island, what does Calymath do?
(a) Eat a fancy meal.
(b) Calculate the taxes he is owed.
(c) Tell his men to get ready to sail.
(d) Decide where he is going to live.
4. What is a knight?
(a) A regular soldier with a special title.
(b) A nobleman who fights for his country.
(c) A soldier recruited from another country.
(d) A soldier who has special duties.
5. What happens after the bashaw leaves?
(a) Ferneze directs his men to spread the word for battle.
(b) The Maltese begin destroying the city.
(c) Ferneze goes into hiding.
(d) The Spanish ships prepare to leave.
6. What does Barabas tell Pilia-Borza after Barabas gives him the gold?
(a) That he will kill Pilia-Borza.
(b) That he should return for more gold later.
(c) That Pilia-Borza will not get away with blackmail.
(d) That he is afraid of Pilia-Borza.
7. What is the last thing Ferenze tells the planners?
(a) To tell the plan to every able bodied man.
(b) To say goodbye to their families.
(c) To have courage because the plan is foolproof.
(d) To get weapons for the fight.
8. What does Ferneze tell Calymath when Calymath arrives at the feast?
(a) That he is glad Calymath conquered Malta.
(b) That Barabas has a trap for him.
(c) That he is looking forward to the feast.
(d) That no one will try to harm him.
9. What do Pilia-Borza and Bellamira hint at doing?
(a) That they kidnap Barabas.
(b) That they murder Barabas.
(c) That they steal Barabas's assets.
(d) That they write to Barabas.
10. Who makes plans with Ferneze in Act 5, Scene 4?
(a) His knights and Martin del Bosco.
(b) The friars and Maltese officials.
(c) Calymath and his men.
(d) Barabas and the merchants.
11. What does Barabas tell Ferneze to do so the Ferneze can become governor again?
(a) That Barabas will donate his money to Malta.
(b) That Ferneze should collect money to be given to Barabas.
(c) That the Turks are planning on killing Barabas.
(d) That the Turks are planning on killing Ferneze.
12. What does Ferneze do after talking with Pilia-Borza and Bellamira just before they die?
(a) Send for the friar.
(b) Send for Barabas and Ithamore.
(c) Send for soldiers.
(d) Send for a shovel and cart.
13. What does Ithamore say when Ferneze confronts him?
(a) He denies involvement in the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
(b) He blames the deaths of Mahias and Lodowick entirely on Abigail.
(c) He confesses he helped with the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
(d) He blames the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick entirely on Barabas.
14. After the delivery, what is revealed inside the nunnery?
(a) Abigail has changed her mind about converting.
(b) A fire has been set.
(c) Gold has been stolen.
(d) Nuns are dying.
15. What signals the death of the nuns?
(a) A town crier.
(b) The friar's announcement.
(c) A messenger from the nunnery.
(d) The ringing bells.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the friars agree to Barabas's conversion?
2. What does Ithamore tell Pilia-Borza and Bellamira?
3. Why does Calymath finally agree to accept the invitation?
4. What does Abigail reveal to Friar Bernardine?
5. To whom does the bashaw speak?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)