|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Barabas tell Pilia-Borza after Barabas gives him the gold?
(a) That he will kill Pilia-Borza.
(b) That he should return for more gold later.
(c) That he is afraid of Pilia-Borza.
(d) That Pilia-Borza will not get away with blackmail.
2. Why is Ferneze chastised?
(a) He won't allow the Maltese to fight the Turks.
(b) He won't allow the Spanish fight the Turks.
(c) He won't pay the tribute money.
(d) He kept the tribute money for himself.
3. What does Ithamore say when Ferneze confronts him?
(a) He blames the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick entirely on Barabas.
(b) He blames the deaths of Mahias and Lodowick entirely on Abigail.
(c) He confesses he helped with the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
(d) He denies involvement in the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
4. What does Bellamira send Ithamore?
(a) A flower.
(b) A love letter.
(c) A blackmail note.
(d) A piece of gold.
5. After inspecting the island, what does Calymath receive?
(a) An invitation to the monastery.
(b) An invitation to the nunnery.
(c) An invitation from a prostitute.
(d) An invitation from Barabas for a feast.
6. What happens after the bashaw leaves?
(a) Ferneze directs his men to spread the word for battle.
(b) Ferneze goes into hiding.
(c) The Spanish ships prepare to leave.
(d) The Maltese begin destroying the city.
7. After inspecting the island, what does Calymath do?
(a) Calculate the taxes he is owed.
(b) Tell his men to get ready to sail.
(c) Eat a fancy meal.
(d) Decide where he is going to live.
8. What is Abigail's desire for Barabas?
(a) That he give his money to the church.
(b) That he convert to Catholicism.
(c) That he would love her again.
(d) That he pay for his crimes.
9. What do Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore send to Barabas?
(a) A blackmail letter.
(b) A warning to flee.
(c) A poisoned flower.
(d) A false message to get him out of the house.
10. What plan does Barabas devise in Act 5, Scene 2?
(a) To steal all of Ferneze's money.
(b) To steal all the money from the Maltese counting house.
(c) To trap and kill Martin del Bosca and the sailors.
(d) To trap and kill Calymath and the Turks.
11. What does Ferneze do after talking with Pilia-Borza and Bellamira just before they die?
(a) Send for Barabas and Ithamore.
(b) Send for the friar.
(c) Send for a shovel and cart.
(d) Send for soldiers.
12. What does Barabas tell Ferneze when Ferneze arrives at the feast for Calymath?
(a) He says he is worried that his trap will fail.
(b) He explains how he will be a good governor.
(c) He describes the poison he'll use to kill Calymath.
(d) He explains his trap to kill Calymath.
13. What two sins does Barabas admit to the friars?
(a) That he is a usurer and a fornicator.
(b) That he is a blasphemer and a liar.
(c) That he is a murderer and a thief.
(d) That he is covetous and a hypocrite.
14. What does Barabas say when Ferneze confronts him?
(a) That Ithamore alone killed the young men.
(b) That the young men killed each other over love.
(c) That Ferneze shouldn't believe a prostitute, thief and slave.
(d) That Ferneze should leave the past in the past.
15. What does Ferneze tell Calymath when Calymath arrives at the feast?
(a) That he is looking forward to the feast.
(b) That Barabas has a trap for him.
(c) That no one will try to harm him.
(d) That he is glad Calymath conquered Malta.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Barabas tell the friars he wants to convert?
2. What is the last thing Ferenze tells the planners?
3. What does Abigail reveal to Friar Bernardine?
4. Why does Barabas give Pilia-Borza gold?
5. What does Pilia-Borza bring Barabas at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)