|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Barabas tell Ferneze when Ferneze arrives at the feast for Calymath?
(a) He explains how he will be a good governor.
(b) He explains his trap to kill Calymath.
(c) He describes the poison he'll use to kill Calymath.
(d) He says he is worried that his trap will fail.
2. What does Barabas say when Ferneze confronts him?
(a) That the young men killed each other over love.
(b) That Ithamore alone killed the young men.
(c) That Ferneze should leave the past in the past.
(d) That Ferneze shouldn't believe a prostitute, thief and slave.
3. Why does Calymath finally agree to accept the invitation?
(a) He decides that he was too powerful for anyone to harm him.
(b) He is promised a large pearl.
(c) He decides that he could eat again.
(d) He decides there really was no trap.
4. What does Barabas tell Pilia-Borza after Barabas gives him the gold?
(a) That he should return for more gold later.
(b) That he will kill Pilia-Borza.
(c) That Pilia-Borza will not get away with blackmail.
(d) That he is afraid of Pilia-Borza.
5. What is a bashaw?
(a) A Turkish slave.
(b) A Turkish messenger.
(c) A high ranking Turkish military man.
(d) The leader of the Turkish ship.
6. What does Ferneze tell Calymath when Calymath arrives at the feast?
(a) That he is glad Calymath conquered Malta.
(b) That he is looking forward to the feast.
(c) That Barabas has a trap for him.
(d) That no one will try to harm him.
7. What does Ferneze do after he confronts Barabas and Ithamore?
(a) Places Barabas and Ithamore under house arrest.
(b) Arranges for Barabas and Ithamore to be executed.
(c) Sends Barabas and Ithamore to prison.
(d) Locks Barabas and Ithamore in the monastery.
8. What does Ithamore say when Ferneze confronts him?
(a) He confesses he helped with the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
(b) He blames the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick entirely on Barabas.
(c) He denies involvement in the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
(d) He blames the deaths of Mahias and Lodowick entirely on Abigail.
9. What does Ferneze do when he and the planners finish talking?
(a) He makes a toast to their victory.
(b) He writes out the details of the plan.
(c) He sends them away.
(d) He hides until the plan is executed.
10. Who chastises Ferneze?
(a) Martin del Bosco.
(d) Tomas de Silva.
11. What does Ferneze do with Calymath after Barabas dies?
(a) He kills Calymath.
(b) He holds Calymath and demands ransom from Calymath's father.
(c) He lets Calymath and his men sail away.
(d) He imprisons Calymath.
12. What is Abigail's desire for Barabas?
(a) That he give his money to the church.
(b) That he would love her again.
(c) That he convert to Catholicism.
(d) That he pay for his crimes.
13. After inspecting the island, what does Calymath receive?
(a) An invitation to the nunnery.
(b) An invitation from a prostitute.
(c) An invitation to the monastery.
(d) An invitation from Barabas for a feast.
14. What does Barabas tell Ferneze to do so the Ferneze can become governor again?
(a) That Ferneze should collect money to be given to Barabas.
(b) That the Turks are planning on killing Ferneze.
(c) That the Turks are planning on killing Barabas.
(d) That Barabas will donate his money to Malta.
15. What does the bashaw demand?
(a) The execution of Ferneze.
(b) The surrender of the Spanish ships.
(c) The surrender of Malta.
(d) The gold tribute.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the friars agree to Barabas's conversion?
2. What do Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore decide to do?
3. What are the final plans Ferneze makes with his confederates at the end of the play?
4. When referring to the results of the delivery to the nunnery, what does the friar suggest?
5. What does Ferneze do after talking with Pilia-Borza and Bellamira just before they die?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)