|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ferneze do after he confronts Barabas and Ithamore?
(a) Sends Barabas and Ithamore to prison.
(b) Locks Barabas and Ithamore in the monastery.
(c) Arranges for Barabas and Ithamore to be executed.
(d) Places Barabas and Ithamore under house arrest.
2. What do Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore decide to do?
(a) To steal his gold.
(b) To kill Barabas.
(c) To blackmail Barabas.
(d) To report Barabas's crimes to the authorities.
3. What is a bashaw?
(a) A high ranking Turkish military man.
(b) The leader of the Turkish ship.
(c) A Turkish messenger.
(d) A Turkish slave.
4. What answer is given to the bashaw's demand?
(a) The Maltese would rather burn the island and flee than pay the gold.
(b) That the Spanish would rather die fighting the Turks than surrender.
(c) That Ferneze would never be given to the Turks to be executed.
(d) The Maltese would rather burn and destroy the island than give it intact to the bashaw.
5. Who do the Turks appoint as governor?
(b) Martin del Bosco.
6. What would happen if Ithamore told who killed the nuns?
(a) Barabas would flee.
(b) Ithamore would cut Barabas's throat.
(c) Barabas would cut Ithamore's throat.
(d) Ithamore would flee.
7. Why is Ferneze chastised?
(a) He kept the tribute money for himself.
(b) He won't allow the Spanish fight the Turks.
(c) He won't allow the Maltese to fight the Turks.
(d) He won't pay the tribute money.
8. Who makes plans with Ferneze in Act 5, Scene 4?
(a) The friars and Maltese officials.
(b) Calymath and his men.
(c) His knights and Martin del Bosco.
(d) Barabas and the merchants.
9. What does Ithamore say when Ferneze confronts him?
(a) He denies involvement in the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
(b) He blames the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick entirely on Barabas.
(c) He confesses he helped with the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
(d) He blames the deaths of Mahias and Lodowick entirely on Abigail.
10. Who helps the Turks conquer Malta?
(c) Martin del Bosco.
11. After inspecting the island, what does Calymath do?
(a) Calculate the taxes he is owed.
(b) Decide where he is going to live.
(c) Eat a fancy meal.
(d) Tell his men to get ready to sail.
12. What happens after the bashaw leaves?
(a) Ferneze directs his men to spread the word for battle.
(b) The Maltese begin destroying the city.
(c) Ferneze goes into hiding.
(d) The Spanish ships prepare to leave.
13. How does the messenger reply to Calymath's reply to the invitation?
(a) That his men's feast is in the monastery.
(b) That the feast is not a trap.
(c) That no one will harm him or his men.
(d) That he doesn't have to eat but only be present.
14. Who kills Friar Bernardine?
(b) Friar Jacomo.
(c) The Abbess.
15. Why does Calymath finally agree to accept the invitation?
(a) He decides that he was too powerful for anyone to harm him.
(b) He is promised a large pearl.
(c) He decides there really was no trap.
(d) He decides that he could eat again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sound the fighters are to listen for mean?
2. What are the fighters to listen for?
3. To whom does the bashaw speak?
4. When referring to the results of the delivery to the nunnery, what does the friar suggest?
5. What does Ithamore warn Pilia-Borza and Bellamira about?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)