|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ferneze do after talking with Pilia-Borza and Bellamira just before they die?
(a) Send for the friar.
(b) Send for soldiers.
(c) Send for a shovel and cart.
(d) Send for Barabas and Ithamore.
2. Who kills Friar Bernardine?
(b) The Abbess.
(d) Friar Jacomo.
3. What is a bashaw?
(a) The leader of the Turkish ship.
(b) A Turkish slave.
(c) A high ranking Turkish military man.
(d) A Turkish messenger.
4. Where has Barabas hidden his gold?
(a) Secured in a secret room.
(b) Buried in the ground.
(c) Hidden under some floorboards.
(d) Sunk in a chest on the seashore.
5. What does Barabas say when Ferneze confronts him?
(a) That Ferneze shouldn't believe a prostitute, thief and slave.
(b) That the young men killed each other over love.
(c) That Ithamore alone killed the young men.
(d) That Ferneze should leave the past in the past.
6. How does Barabas get free?
(a) He fakes his own death.
(b) He bribes his keeper.
(c) He trades clothes and leaves looking like a friar.
(d) He runs away.
7. When referring to the results of the delivery to the nunnery, what does the friar suggest?
(a) Report the theft to the authorities.
(b) Get water from the well to put out the fire.
(c) Get a doctor.
(d) Pray for Abigail.
8. What does Ferneze do after he confronts Barabas and Ithamore?
(a) Sends Barabas and Ithamore to prison.
(b) Arranges for Barabas and Ithamore to be executed.
(c) Places Barabas and Ithamore under house arrest.
(d) Locks Barabas and Ithamore in the monastery.
9. What does Ithamore warn Pilia-Borza and Bellamira about?
(a) That Barabas likes to poison his enemies.
(b) That Barabas is suspious of Pilia-Borza and Bellamira.
(c) That Barabas is suspious of Ithamore.
(d) That the authorities are suspious of Pilia-Borza and Bellamira.
10. To whom does the bashaw speak?
(a) The Spanish sailors.
(c) The people of Malta.
(d) Ferneze and Del Bosco.
11. Who chastises Ferneze?
(a) Tomas de Silva.
(b) Martin del Bosco.
12. What do Pilia-Borza and Bellamira hint at doing?
(a) That they kidnap Barabas.
(b) That they steal Barabas's assets.
(c) That they write to Barabas.
(d) That they murder Barabas.
13. What does Ferneze do with Calymath after Barabas dies?
(a) He holds Calymath and demands ransom from Calymath's father.
(b) He lets Calymath and his men sail away.
(c) He imprisons Calymath.
(d) He kills Calymath.
14. What two sins does Barabas admit to the friars?
(a) That he is covetous and a hypocrite.
(b) That he is a murderer and a thief.
(c) That he is a blasphemer and a liar.
(d) That he is a usurer and a fornicator.
15. How does Barabas kill Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore?
(a) With a club.
(b) With a poisoned flower.
(c) With poisoned porridge.
(d) With a knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ithamore tell Pilia-Borza and Bellamira?
2. What do Pilia-Borza and Bellamira do before they die?
3. Why is Ferneze chastised?
4. What plan does Barabas devise in Act 5, Scene 2?
5. What signals the death of the nuns?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)