|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ferneze do with Calymath after Barabas dies?
(a) He imprisons Calymath.
(b) He lets Calymath and his men sail away.
(c) He holds Calymath and demands ransom from Calymath's father.
(d) He kills Calymath.
2. What does Ithamore say when Ferneze confronts him?
(a) He blames the deaths of Mahias and Lodowick entirely on Abigail.
(b) He confesses he helped with the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
(c) He blames the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick entirely on Barabas.
(d) He denies involvement in the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
3. What would happen if Ithamore told who killed the nuns?
(a) Ithamore would cut Barabas's throat.
(b) Barabas would flee.
(c) Barabas would cut Ithamore's throat.
(d) Ithamore would flee.
4. Why is Ferneze chastised?
(a) He won't allow the Spanish fight the Turks.
(b) He won't pay the tribute money.
(c) He won't allow the Maltese to fight the Turks.
(d) He kept the tribute money for himself.
5. What happens to Barabas at the feast?
(a) He falls into the trap and dies.
(b) He is killed by Ferneze.
(c) He is killed by Calymath.
(d) He is disappointed because the trap doesn't work.
6. What are the final plans Ferneze makes with his confederates at the end of the play?
(a) Barabas will prepare a poison for Calymath and his men.
(b) Martin del Bosco will pretend to join Calymath.
(c) The audience doesn't know any specifics of the plans.
(d) The friars will burn the monastery with Calymath's men inside.
7. How much money was pledged to Barabas?
(a) 100,000 pounds.
(b) 30,000 pounds.
(c) 10,000 pounds.
(d) 50,000 pounds.
8. What is the last thing Ferenze tells the planners?
(a) To get weapons for the fight.
(b) To tell the plan to every able bodied man.
(c) To have courage because the plan is foolproof.
(d) To say goodbye to their families.
9. What does Barabas tell Ferneze to do so the Ferneze can become governor again?
(a) That the Turks are planning on killing Barabas.
(b) That the Turks are planning on killing Ferneze.
(c) That Barabas will donate his money to Malta.
(d) That Ferneze should collect money to be given to Barabas.
10. What is a bashaw?
(a) A Turkish slave.
(b) A high ranking Turkish military man.
(c) The leader of the Turkish ship.
(d) A Turkish messenger.
11. What does Ithamore tell Pilia-Borza and Bellamira?
(a) That Barabas has money hidden in several places.
(b) About all the murders Ithamore committed.
(c) About all of the murders Barabas committed.
(d) That he can't go through with the blackmail.
12. What do Pilia-Borza and Bellamira hint at doing?
(a) That they steal Barabas's assets.
(b) That they kidnap Barabas.
(c) That they murder Barabas.
(d) That they write to Barabas.
13. What does Pilia-Borza bring Barabas at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3?
(a) A poisoned flower.
(b) A second letter demanding more money.
(c) A warning to flee.
(d) A false message to get him out of the house.
14. What are the fighters to listen for?
(a) The sound of shouting.
(b) The sound of a trumpet.
(c) The sound of a bell.
(d) The sound of a cannon.
15. What does Ferneze do after he confronts Barabas and Ithamore?
(a) Places Barabas and Ithamore under house arrest.
(b) Arranges for Barabas and Ithamore to be executed.
(c) Locks Barabas and Ithamore in the monastery.
(d) Sends Barabas and Ithamore to prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the bashaw leaves?
2. Who kills Friar Bernardine?
3. What do Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore send to Barabas?
4. Who do the Turks appoint as governor?
5. How does the messenger reply to Calymath's reply to the invitation?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)