|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a bashaw?
(a) A high ranking Turkish military man.
(b) A Turkish slave.
(c) A Turkish messenger.
(d) The leader of the Turkish ship.
2. What do Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore decide to do?
(a) To steal his gold.
(b) To blackmail Barabas.
(c) To report Barabas's crimes to the authorities.
(d) To kill Barabas.
3. Why does Barabas give Pilia-Borza gold?
(a) Pilia-Borza is armed and dangerous.
(b) Barabas won't miss a little gold.
(c) Pilia-Borza threatens to kill him.
(d) Barabas owes him the money.
4. What does Barabas tell Ferneze when Ferneze arrives at the feast for Calymath?
(a) He describes the poison he'll use to kill Calymath.
(b) He explains how he will be a good governor.
(c) He explains his trap to kill Calymath.
(d) He says he is worried that his trap will fail.
5. What happens after the bashaw leaves?
(a) Ferneze directs his men to spread the word for battle.
(b) Ferneze goes into hiding.
(c) The Maltese begin destroying the city.
(d) The Spanish ships prepare to leave.
6. What does Ithamore warn Pilia-Borza and Bellamira about?
(a) That the authorities are suspious of Pilia-Borza and Bellamira.
(b) That Barabas is suspious of Ithamore.
(c) That Barabas is suspious of Pilia-Borza and Bellamira.
(d) That Barabas likes to poison his enemies.
7. What do Pilia-Borza and Bellamira do before they die?
(a) Tell Ferneze the Barabas is responsible for the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
(b) Deny their blackmail scheme to Ferneze.
(c) Confess their sins to Ferneze.
(d) Reveal to Ferneze the place where Barabas keeps his gold.
8. Why is Ferneze chastised?
(a) He won't pay the tribute money.
(b) He won't allow the Maltese to fight the Turks.
(c) He kept the tribute money for himself.
(d) He won't allow the Spanish fight the Turks.
9. What do Pilia-Borza and Bellamira hint at doing?
(a) That they murder Barabas.
(b) That they kidnap Barabas.
(c) That they steal Barabas's assets.
(d) That they write to Barabas.
10. What does Ferneze do after he confronts Barabas and Ithamore?
(a) Places Barabas and Ithamore under house arrest.
(b) Sends Barabas and Ithamore to prison.
(c) Locks Barabas and Ithamore in the monastery.
(d) Arranges for Barabas and Ithamore to be executed.
11. What does Barabas tell Ferneze to do so the Ferneze can become governor again?
(a) That the Turks are planning on killing Ferneze.
(b) That Ferneze should collect money to be given to Barabas.
(c) That the Turks are planning on killing Barabas.
(d) That Barabas will donate his money to Malta.
12. Why does Barabas tell the friars he wants to convert?
(a) Because as a Catholic he couldn't be executed.
(b) Because he is truly repentant.
(c) Because he wants to hide in the monastery.
(d) Because then they won't turn him in for his crimes.
13. When referring to the results of the delivery to the nunnery, what does the friar suggest?
(a) Report the theft to the authorities.
(b) Pray for Abigail.
(c) Get water from the well to put out the fire.
(d) Get a doctor.
14. How does the messenger reply to Calymath's reply to the invitation?
(a) That the feast is not a trap.
(b) That he doesn't have to eat but only be present.
(c) That no one will harm him or his men.
(d) That his men's feast is in the monastery.
15. What does Friar Bernardine promise Abigail?
(a) That the church will gladly accept her money.
(b) That she will be forgiven.
(c) That he will contact Barabas about his conversion.
(d) That he will tell no one what Abigail revealed to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the final plans Ferneze makes with his confederates at the end of the play?
2. What does Ferneze do after talking with Pilia-Borza and Bellamira just before they die?
3. After inspecting the island, what does Calymath receive?
4. Who is executed for Friar Bernardine's murder?
5. What worries Calymath about the invitation?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)