|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore decide to do?
(a) To steal his gold.
(b) To report Barabas's crimes to the authorities.
(c) To blackmail Barabas.
(d) To kill Barabas.
2. To whom does the bashaw speak?
(a) The Spanish sailors.
(c) The people of Malta.
(d) Ferneze and Del Bosco.
3. What does Bellamira send Ithamore?
(a) A love letter.
(b) A flower.
(c) A blackmail note.
(d) A piece of gold.
4. What does the Abbess do as a result of the delivery to the nunnery?
(a) Send a messenger to the authorities.
(b) Gather the nuns to pray for Abigail.
(c) Send for Friar Bernardine to hear her last confession.
(d) Gather the nuns to get water.
5. Where has Barabas hidden his gold?
(a) Buried in the ground.
(b) Sunk in a chest on the seashore.
(c) Hidden under some floorboards.
(d) Secured in a secret room.
6. How does Barabas get free?
(a) He trades clothes and leaves looking like a friar.
(b) He fakes his own death.
(c) He bribes his keeper.
(d) He runs away.
7. What happens after the bashaw leaves?
(a) The Maltese begin destroying the city.
(b) Ferneze goes into hiding.
(c) Ferneze directs his men to spread the word for battle.
(d) The Spanish ships prepare to leave.
8. How does the messenger reply to Calymath's reply to the invitation?
(a) That no one will harm him or his men.
(b) That his men's feast is in the monastery.
(c) That the feast is not a trap.
(d) That he doesn't have to eat but only be present.
9. What does Abigail reveal to Friar Bernardine?
(a) That her father is responsible for the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
(b) That she has hidden money she wants the church to have.
(c) That she was seduced by Lodowick.
(d) That her father wants to convert.
10. What is Abigail's desire for Barabas?
(a) That he pay for his crimes.
(b) That he would love her again.
(c) That he convert to Catholicism.
(d) That he give his money to the church.
11. Who makes plans with Ferneze in Act 5, Scene 4?
(a) Barabas and the merchants.
(b) His knights and Martin del Bosco.
(c) The friars and Maltese officials.
(d) Calymath and his men.
12. Why is Ferneze chastised?
(a) He won't allow the Spanish fight the Turks.
(b) He won't allow the Maltese to fight the Turks.
(c) He won't pay the tribute money.
(d) He kept the tribute money for himself.
13. What does Barabas tell Pilia-Borza after Barabas gives him the gold?
(a) That Pilia-Borza will not get away with blackmail.
(b) That he is afraid of Pilia-Borza.
(c) That he should return for more gold later.
(d) That he will kill Pilia-Borza.
14. What signals the death of the nuns?
(a) A town crier.
(b) The ringing bells.
(c) A messenger from the nunnery.
(d) The friar's announcement.
15. What does Barabas tell Ferneze when Ferneze arrives at the feast for Calymath?
(a) He describes the poison he'll use to kill Calymath.
(b) He says he is worried that his trap will fail.
(c) He explains his trap to kill Calymath.
(d) He explains how he will be a good governor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the friars agree to Barabas's conversion?
2. After inspecting the island, what does Calymath do?
3. What does Ferneze do after he confronts Barabas and Ithamore?
4. Who chastises Ferneze?
5. What does Ferneze tell Calymath when Calymath arrives at the feast?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)