|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the messenger reply to Calymath's reply to the invitation?
(a) That the feast is not a trap.
(b) That he doesn't have to eat but only be present.
(c) That no one will harm him or his men.
(d) That his men's feast is in the monastery.
2. What does the Abbess do as a result of the delivery to the nunnery?
(a) Gather the nuns to pray for Abigail.
(b) Gather the nuns to get water.
(c) Send a messenger to the authorities.
(d) Send for Friar Bernardine to hear her last confession.
3. To whom does the bashaw speak?
(a) Ferneze and Del Bosco.
(b) The Spanish sailors.
(c) The people of Malta.
4. What is a bashaw?
(a) A Turkish messenger.
(b) A high ranking Turkish military man.
(c) The leader of the Turkish ship.
(d) A Turkish slave.
5. Why does Barabas tell the friars he wants to convert?
(a) Because then they won't turn him in for his crimes.
(b) Because he is truly repentant.
(c) Because as a Catholic he couldn't be executed.
(d) Because he wants to hide in the monastery.
6. Why does Barabas give Pilia-Borza gold?
(a) Pilia-Borza threatens to kill him.
(b) Barabas owes him the money.
(c) Pilia-Borza is armed and dangerous.
(d) Barabas won't miss a little gold.
7. What does Ferneze do after talking with Pilia-Borza and Bellamira just before they die?
(a) Send for a shovel and cart.
(b) Send for the friar.
(c) Send for soldiers.
(d) Send for Barabas and Ithamore.
8. Why do the friars agree to Barabas's conversion?
(a) Because they get a bonus for new converts.
(b) Because they promised Abigail.
(c) Because the church will get all his money.
(d) Because they believe he is truly repentant.
9. Who is executed for Friar Bernardine's murder?
(c) Friar Jacomo.
(d) The Abbess.
10. What does Friar Bernardine promise Abigail?
(a) That he will contact Barabas about his conversion.
(b) That the church will gladly accept her money.
(c) That she will be forgiven.
(d) That he will tell no one what Abigail revealed to him.
11. Who makes plans with Ferneze in Act 5, Scene 4?
(a) The friars and Maltese officials.
(b) Calymath and his men.
(c) His knights and Martin del Bosco.
(d) Barabas and the merchants.
12. When referring to the results of the delivery to the nunnery, what does the friar suggest?
(a) Get a doctor.
(b) Report the theft to the authorities.
(c) Pray for Abigail.
(d) Get water from the well to put out the fire.
13. After the delivery, what is revealed inside the nunnery?
(a) Abigail has changed her mind about converting.
(b) A fire has been set.
(c) Gold has been stolen.
(d) Nuns are dying.
14. Who do the Turks appoint as governor?
(d) Martin del Bosco.
15. What are the fighters to listen for?
(a) The sound of a trumpet.
(b) The sound of shouting.
(c) The sound of a bell.
(d) The sound of a cannon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money was pledged to Barabas?
2. What happens to Barabas at the feast?
3. What does Ferneze do after he confronts Barabas and Ithamore?
4. What two sins does Barabas admit to the friars?
5. What answer is given to the bashaw's demand?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)