|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Barabas tell the friars he wants to convert?
(a) Because he is truly repentant.
(b) Because he wants to hide in the monastery.
(c) Because as a Catholic he couldn't be executed.
(d) Because then they won't turn him in for his crimes.
2. What happens after the bashaw leaves?
(a) The Spanish ships prepare to leave.
(b) The Maltese begin destroying the city.
(c) Ferneze goes into hiding.
(d) Ferneze directs his men to spread the word for battle.
3. After inspecting the island, what does Calymath do?
(a) Decide where he is going to live.
(b) Calculate the taxes he is owed.
(c) Tell his men to get ready to sail.
(d) Eat a fancy meal.
4. What do Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore send to Barabas?
(a) A warning to flee.
(b) A false message to get him out of the house.
(c) A poisoned flower.
(d) A blackmail letter.
5. What does Ithamore warn Pilia-Borza and Bellamira about?
(a) That Barabas likes to poison his enemies.
(b) That the authorities are suspious of Pilia-Borza and Bellamira.
(c) That Barabas is suspious of Ithamore.
(d) That Barabas is suspious of Pilia-Borza and Bellamira.
6. How does the messenger reply to Calymath's reply to the invitation?
(a) That he doesn't have to eat but only be present.
(b) That the feast is not a trap.
(c) That his men's feast is in the monastery.
(d) That no one will harm him or his men.
7. What happens to Barabas at the feast?
(a) He is disappointed because the trap doesn't work.
(b) He is killed by Ferneze.
(c) He is killed by Calymath.
(d) He falls into the trap and dies.
8. What does Friar Bernardine promise Abigail?
(a) That he will tell no one what Abigail revealed to him.
(b) That he will contact Barabas about his conversion.
(c) That she will be forgiven.
(d) That the church will gladly accept her money.
9. What answer is given to the bashaw's demand?
(a) The Maltese would rather burn the island and flee than pay the gold.
(b) The Maltese would rather burn and destroy the island than give it intact to the bashaw.
(c) That the Spanish would rather die fighting the Turks than surrender.
(d) That Ferneze would never be given to the Turks to be executed.
10. What does Abigail reveal to Friar Bernardine?
(a) That her father is responsible for the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
(b) That she was seduced by Lodowick.
(c) That her father wants to convert.
(d) That she has hidden money she wants the church to have.
11. What two sins does Barabas admit to the friars?
(a) That he is covetous and a hypocrite.
(b) That he is a usurer and a fornicator.
(c) That he is a murderer and a thief.
(d) That he is a blasphemer and a liar.
12. What does Ithamore tell Pilia-Borza and Bellamira?
(a) About all the murders Ithamore committed.
(b) About all of the murders Barabas committed.
(c) That he can't go through with the blackmail.
(d) That Barabas has money hidden in several places.
13. Why is Ferneze chastised?
(a) He won't pay the tribute money.
(b) He won't allow the Maltese to fight the Turks.
(c) He kept the tribute money for himself.
(d) He won't allow the Spanish fight the Turks.
14. What plan does Barabas devise in Act 5, Scene 2?
(a) To steal all the money from the Maltese counting house.
(b) To trap and kill Martin del Bosca and the sailors.
(c) To trap and kill Calymath and the Turks.
(d) To steal all of Ferneze's money.
15. Who kills Friar Bernardine?
(c) Friar Jacomo.
(d) The Abbess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barabas tell Ferneze when Ferneze arrives at the feast for Calymath?
2. What does Bellamira send Ithamore?
3. Who do the Turks appoint as governor?
4. What does Barabas say when Ferneze confronts him?
5. How does Barabas get free?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)