|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What signals the death of the nuns?
(a) The friar's announcement.
(b) A messenger from the nunnery.
(c) A town crier.
(d) The ringing bells.
2. Why is Ferneze chastised?
(a) He kept the tribute money for himself.
(b) He won't allow the Maltese to fight the Turks.
(c) He won't pay the tribute money.
(d) He won't allow the Spanish fight the Turks.
3. What does Ferneze do with Calymath after Barabas dies?
(a) He imprisons Calymath.
(b) He lets Calymath and his men sail away.
(c) He kills Calymath.
(d) He holds Calymath and demands ransom from Calymath's father.
4. Who makes plans with Ferneze in Act 5, Scene 4?
(a) His knights and Martin del Bosco.
(b) Calymath and his men.
(c) The friars and Maltese officials.
(d) Barabas and the merchants.
5. What do Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore decide to do?
(a) To report Barabas's crimes to the authorities.
(b) To blackmail Barabas.
(c) To steal his gold.
(d) To kill Barabas.
6. What does Abigail reveal to Friar Bernardine?
(a) That she was seduced by Lodowick.
(b) That she has hidden money she wants the church to have.
(c) That her father wants to convert.
(d) That her father is responsible for the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
7. Who kills Friar Bernardine?
(b) Friar Jacomo.
(c) The Abbess.
8. What does Ferneze do after talking with Pilia-Borza and Bellamira just before they die?
(a) Send for Barabas and Ithamore.
(b) Send for a shovel and cart.
(c) Send for soldiers.
(d) Send for the friar.
9. What does Bellamira send Ithamore?
(a) A piece of gold.
(b) A blackmail note.
(c) A flower.
(d) A love letter.
10. What do Pilia-Borza, Bellamira, and Ithamore send to Barabas?
(a) A warning to flee.
(b) A false message to get him out of the house.
(c) A poisoned flower.
(d) A blackmail letter.
11. What will Calymath find at the feast?
(a) A platform that collapses into boiling water and sharp objects.
(b) A group of Maltese officials.
(c) A group of thankful Maltese people.
(d) A feast full of poisoned food.
12. What worries Calymath about the invitation?
(a) That the Maltese people will rebell.
(b) That he will never collect the tribute.
(c) That his father will be disappointed in him.
(d) That the feast may be a trap.
13. What happens to Barabas at the feast?
(a) He is killed by Calymath.
(b) He is disappointed because the trap doesn't work.
(c) He is killed by Ferneze.
(d) He falls into the trap and dies.
14. What does Ferneze do after he confronts Barabas and Ithamore?
(a) Sends Barabas and Ithamore to prison.
(b) Locks Barabas and Ithamore in the monastery.
(c) Places Barabas and Ithamore under house arrest.
(d) Arranges for Barabas and Ithamore to be executed.
15. What does Friar Bernardine promise Abigail?
(a) That the church will gladly accept her money.
(b) That he will contact Barabas about his conversion.
(c) That she will be forgiven.
(d) That he will tell no one what Abigail revealed to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is executed for Friar Bernardine's murder?
2. What answer is given to the bashaw's demand?
3. What are the fighters to listen for?
4. What happens after the bashaw leaves?
5. What is a bashaw?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)