|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What answer is given to the bashaw's demand?
(a) The Maltese would rather burn the island and flee than pay the gold.
(b) That the Spanish would rather die fighting the Turks than surrender.
(c) The Maltese would rather burn and destroy the island than give it intact to the bashaw.
(d) That Ferneze would never be given to the Turks to be executed.
2. When referring to the results of the delivery to the nunnery, what does the friar suggest?
(a) Pray for Abigail.
(b) Get a doctor.
(c) Get water from the well to put out the fire.
(d) Report the theft to the authorities.
3. Who do the Turks appoint as governor?
(d) Martin del Bosco.
4. What does Ferneze tell Calymath when Calymath arrives at the feast?
(a) That Barabas has a trap for him.
(b) That he is looking forward to the feast.
(c) That no one will try to harm him.
(d) That he is glad Calymath conquered Malta.
5. Where has Barabas hidden his gold?
(a) Buried in the ground.
(b) Secured in a secret room.
(c) Hidden under some floorboards.
(d) Sunk in a chest on the seashore.
6. What does Ithamore say when Ferneze confronts him?
(a) He blames the deaths of Mahias and Lodowick entirely on Abigail.
(b) He denies involvement in the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
(c) He confesses he helped with the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick.
(d) He blames the deaths of Mathias and Lodowick entirely on Barabas.
7. Who makes plans with Ferneze in Act 5, Scene 4?
(a) His knights and Martin del Bosco.
(b) Calymath and his men.
(c) The friars and Maltese officials.
(d) Barabas and the merchants.
8. What happens after the bashaw leaves?
(a) Ferneze goes into hiding.
(b) Ferneze directs his men to spread the word for battle.
(c) The Maltese begin destroying the city.
(d) The Spanish ships prepare to leave.
9. What two sins does Barabas admit to the friars?
(a) That he is covetous and a hypocrite.
(b) That he is a murderer and a thief.
(c) That he is a blasphemer and a liar.
(d) That he is a usurer and a fornicator.
10. Who helps the Turks conquer Malta?
(a) Martin del Bosco.
11. What worries Calymath about the invitation?
(a) That the Maltese people will rebell.
(b) That his father will be disappointed in him.
(c) That the feast may be a trap.
(d) That he will never collect the tribute.
12. What will Calymath find at the feast?
(a) A group of thankful Maltese people.
(b) A group of Maltese officials.
(c) A platform that collapses into boiling water and sharp objects.
(d) A feast full of poisoned food.
13. Why does Calymath finally agree to accept the invitation?
(a) He is promised a large pearl.
(b) He decides that he was too powerful for anyone to harm him.
(c) He decides there really was no trap.
(d) He decides that he could eat again.
14. Who kills Friar Bernardine?
(b) Friar Jacomo.
(d) The Abbess.
15. After inspecting the island, what does Calymath receive?
(a) An invitation to the nunnery.
(b) An invitation from Barabas for a feast.
(c) An invitation from a prostitute.
(d) An invitation to the monastery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Calymath tell the messenger who brings the invitation?
2. Who chastises Ferneze?
3. Why does Barabas tell the friars he wants to convert?
4. How does the messenger reply to Calymath's reply to the invitation?
5. What does Bellamira send Ithamore?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)