|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the prostitute assume is in the bag?
2. How does Barabas's accomplice gain access to where the money is hidden?
(a) By lying to the people there.
(b) By knocking out the watchman.
(c) By simply walking in unattended.
(d) By crawling through a broken window.
3. What does the male friend of the prostitute want to do when he sees a man approaching them?
(a) Run and hide.
(b) Leave the area.
(c) Kill the man approaching.
(d) Make a deal with the man.
4. Why was Marlowe jailed?
(a) He wrote against the Catholic church.
(b) He plotted the governor's murder.
(c) He allegedly wrote lies about someone.
(d) He got drunk and started a fight.
5. What order does the governor issue concerning the tribute?
(a) All Jews must surrender half their money and convert to Catholicism.
(b) All Jews are being sold as slaves to the Turks and their possessions auctioned.
(c) All Jews must enlist in the military to fight the Turks and house soldiers in their homes.
(d) All Jews have one week to pack personal items only and leave town.
6. What does Barabas think of Catholicism?
(a) That is will replace Judaism.
(b) That it is a form of slavery.
(c) That is it a legitimate religion.
(d) That it's priests and nuns are trustworthy.
7. What gets delivered to the nunnery?
(a) A meal as an offering of peace.
(b) A letter asking Abigail to return.
(c) A meal that will kill those who eat it.
(d) A bag of money to take care of his daughter.
8. Who tells her son he shouldn't speak to Jews?
9. What does Abigail risk by following Barabas's instructions to retrieve the gold?
10. What does the prostitute's male friend have when they first converse in the play?
(a) A bag of documents.
(b) A bag of money.
(c) A bag of jewels.
(d) A bag of medicine.
11. Who represents the Turks at the meeting with the Maltese governor?
12. Why did the Jews flee to Malta?
(a) The opportunity for a wealthier lifestyle.
(b) The presence of a Christian monastery.
(c) The abundance of available free land.
(d) The persecution of the Spanish Inquisition.
13. Who prepares to fight a duel in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) Barabas and Ithamore.
(b) Barabas and Mathias.
(c) Mathias and Lodowick.
(d) Lodowick and Ithamore.
14. Why does Barabas want Ferneze's son dead?
(a) Ferenze disapproved of the betrothal.
(b) Ferneze had seized his assets.
(c) The son had seduced Abigail.
(d) The son wanted to break the betrothal.
15. What does Abigail ask the friar?
(a) If she will go to hell if she dies.
(b) If she is worthy to convert.
(c) If she can return to the nunnery.
(d) If her sins are beyond repentance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the prices of the slaves displayed?
2. Who is the governor of Malta?
3. What does Abigail remind Barabas of when she retrieves him?
4. How may years tribute do the Turks demand?
5. Whose heart is broken over Barabas's daughter's decision to become a nun?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)