|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the bodies of the duelists when the parents go?
(a) They are carried away.
(b) They are buried.
(c) They are thrown in the sea.
(d) They are left behind.
2. Who makes the delivery to the nunnery?
(c) A friar.
3. What order does the governor issue concerning the tribute?
(a) All Jews must surrender half their money and convert to Catholicism.
(b) All Jews are being sold as slaves to the Turks and their possessions auctioned.
(c) All Jews must enlist in the military to fight the Turks and house soldiers in their homes.
(d) All Jews have one week to pack personal items only and leave town.
4. Who does Barabas enlist to retrieve his money from its hiding place?
5. Whose heart is broken over Barabas's daughter's decision to become a nun?
6. How does Barabas get his hidden money?
(a) Abigail hides the gold in a basket of dirty clothes being taken to the laundry.
(b) Abigail drops sacks of gold from a window.
(c) Abigail carries the gold our the front door.
(d) Abigail smuggles the gold out the back door.
7. Why do the characters in Act 3, Scene 2 challenge each other to a duel?
(a) They both hate each other.
(b) They both are betrothed to Abigail.
(c) They each want the other one dead.
(d) They both received forged letters.
8. What is the name of the prostitute?
9. What does Barabas call his daughter when talking to Lodowick at the slave market?
(a) A ruby.
(b) An emerald.
(c) A diamond.
(d) A pearl.
10. Who secretly watches the duel?
11. What reason was given for the Jews being ordered to meet at the senate house?
(a) To penalize non-taxpayers.
(b) To celebrate a Jewish holy day.
(c) To determine merchant bonuses.
12. What happens to Jews who will not comply with the governor's order?
(a) They and their families will be deported.
(b) They and their families' money and possessions will be taken.
(c) They and their families will be sold as slaves.
(d) They and their families will be executed.
13. When Ithamore returns home in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he tell Abigail he's been doing?
(a) Visiting a friend.
(b) Talking with the Spanish.
(c) Delivering letters for her father.
(d) Drinking in a tavern.
14. What religion is the slave Barabas buys?
15. Why aren't the prisoners captured by the Spanish allowed to be sold?
(a) For fear the Spanish would retaliate.
(b) For fear their price would be too high.
(c) For fear that taxes would not be paid.
(d) For fear the Turks would retaliate.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machevill suggest a person gains power?
2. Who is the governor of Malta?
3. What does Abigail realize about father when she learns about the duel?
4. What does Barabas think of Catholicism?
5. Whom does Barabas warn his slave against trusting?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)