|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the governor confide to the vice-admiral?
(a) That Malta resents the Spanish.
(b) That the Spanish are unwelcome in Malta.
(c) That Malta has a large army.
(d) That theTurks are threatening Malta.
2. How may years tribute do the Turks demand?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Ten years.
3. What happens to the duelers?
(a) Both are slightly wounded.
(b) Both are mortally wounded.
(c) Both walk away unhurt.
(d) One dueler live and the other dies.
4. Where did the bag and its contents come from?
(a) The monastery.
(b) The Spanish.
(c) Barabas's house.
(d) The senate house.
5. What question does Abigail ask Ithamore when he returns from delivering the letters?
(a) She asks where he's been.
(b) She asks why he's drunk.
(c) She asks why he's late.
(d) She asks why he's happy.
6. What does the second merchant tell Barabas?
(a) That Spanish and Turkish ships were following his ship.
(b) That the ship is in urgent need of repairs.
(c) That the the goods on the ship were destroyed by fire.
(d) That pirates stole the goods and killed most of the sailors.
7. How does Barabas conduct his business?
(a) By following Machevill's recommendations.
(b) By following the precepts of Catholicism.
(c) By following his own conscience.
(d) By following the precepts of Judaism.
8. Who is the vice-admiral of the Spanish navy?
(a) Bosco del Martinez.
(b) Boscum del Martinelli.
(c) Martin del Bosco.
(d) Martino del Boscarelli.
9. How does Machevill suggest a person gains power?
(a) Through stealing and blackmail.
(b) Through honesty and perseverence.
(c) Through greed and immoral behavior.
(d) Through deception and murder.
10. What gets delivered to the nunnery?
(a) A meal as an offering of peace.
(b) A letter asking Abigail to return.
(c) A meal that will kill those who eat it.
(d) A bag of money to take care of his daughter.
11. Why aren't the prisoners captured by the Spanish allowed to be sold?
(a) For fear the Spanish would retaliate.
(b) For fear their price would be too high.
(c) For fear that taxes would not be paid.
(d) For fear the Turks would retaliate.
12. Is Barabas concerned about losing his hidden money?
(a) Yes, because he has no secure place to hide it.
(b) No, he plans to give it to help fight the Turks.
(c) No, because it is well hidden so others can't find it.
(d) Yes, he is worried it will be taken to fight the Turks.
13. How does the vice-admiral respond to the governor's confidence?
(a) He suggests the Spanish protect Malta.
(b) He says he is insulted.
(c) He asks to recruit some Maltese soldiers.
(d) He says he and his ships will leave Malta.
14. How does Barabas react when he learns that Abigail has left his house for good?
(a) He's furious.
(b) He doesn't care.
(c) He wants to burn the nunnery.
(d) He's wants to remove her from the nunnery.
15. Whom does Barabas warn his slave against trusting?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Barabas give for Turks coming into the harbor?
2. What two systems were partnered in Marlowe's time?
3. What does Ithamore say happened because of the letters?
4. Which duelist is Katherine's son?
5. Why did the Jews flee to Malta?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)