|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which duelist is Katherine's son?
2. What did other playwrights get from Marlowe?
(a) They used his themes.
(b) They used his characters.
(c) They used his settings.
(d) They used his plots.
3. Whom does Barabas warn his slave against trusting?
4. What gets delivered to the nunnery?
(a) A letter asking Abigail to return.
(b) A meal that will kill those who eat it.
(c) A bag of money to take care of his daughter.
(d) A meal as an offering of peace.
5. What happens to the duelers?
(a) Both are slightly wounded.
(b) One dueler live and the other dies.
(c) Both are mortally wounded.
(d) Both walk away unhurt.
6. Who refuses the Spanish visitor's request when he comes to Malta?
7. Why does the approaching man pass by the prostitute?
(a) He was not interested in buying her services.
(b) He was late in returning home.
(c) He was worried the male friend might harm him.
(d) He had no money to buy her services.
8. What does Abigail risk by following Barabas's instructions to retrieve the gold?
9. Why do the characters in Act 3, Scene 2 challenge each other to a duel?
(a) They both hate each other.
(b) They both are betrothed to Abigail.
(c) They both received forged letters.
(d) They each want the other one dead.
10. What does Barabas's home become?
(a) A monastery.
(b) A nunnery.
(c) A counting house.
(d) A military barracks.
11. Where are the prices of the slaves displayed?
(a) On their chests.
(b) On their backs.
(c) On their foreheads.
(d) On their right arms.
12. Why is the prostitute depressed?
(a) She hates her customers.
(b) She has no money.
(c) She's being put out of the city.
(d) She's dying.
13. How does Machevill suggest a person gains power?
(a) Through greed and immoral behavior.
(b) Through stealing and blackmail.
(c) Through honesty and perseverence.
(d) Through deception and murder.
14. How does the governor betray Malta?
(a) He keeps all the money from the sale of the prisoners.
(b) He conspires with the vice-admiral to overthrow the government.
(c) He gives Malta over to Spanish rule.
(d) He allows the Turkish prisoners to escape.
15. What does Barabas decide once Abigail has left his house?
(a) To prove to her Catholicism is false.
(b) To kill her.
(c) To convince her to return.
(d) To let her live her own life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What exactly is in the bag of the prostitute's friend'?
2. What does the prostitute assume is in the bag?
3. When Abigail decides to remove herself permanently from her father's household, what does she leave for her father?
4. Why does the governor agree to let the Spanish stay?
5. Why does Barabas prefer to be paid in gold rather than valuable goods?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)