|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Spanish armada come to Malta?
(a) To resupply their vessels.
(b) To take a time of relaxation.
(c) To sell Turkish prisoners.
(d) To trade with their cargo.
2. What do the duelists' parent have in common?
(a) They don't understand why both are betrothed to Abigail.
(b) They hate Barabas.
(c) They don't understand why there was a duel.
(d) They hate each other.
3. Why does the approaching man pass by the prostitute?
(a) He had no money to buy her services.
(b) He was worried the male friend might harm him.
(c) He was not interested in buying her services.
(d) He was late in returning home.
4. What does the governor confide to the vice-admiral?
(a) That the Spanish are unwelcome in Malta.
(b) That theTurks are threatening Malta.
(c) That Malta resents the Spanish.
(d) That Malta has a large army.
5. Why does the governor agree to let the Spanish stay?
(a) He will be allowed to live.
(b) He will become Malta's king.
(c) He will be paid a large amount of money.
(d) He will still be governor.
6. Why is the governor happy?
(a) He anticipates being given money.
(b) He anticipates taxes from the presence of the Spanish.
(c) The Spanish have weakened the Turkish forces.
(d) The Spanish have defeated the Turkish forces.
7. What did other playwrights get from Marlowe?
(a) They used his settings.
(b) They used his plots.
(c) They used his themes.
(d) They used his characters.
8. Where is the man approaching the prostitute and her friend coming from?
(a) He had delivered two invitations.
(b) He had delivered two dueling pistols.
(c) He had delivered two forged challenges.
(d) He had delivered two boxes of food.
9. What does Ithamore do after he's delivered the letters?
(a) He returns to Barabas's house.
(b) He goes to a tavern to have a drink.
(c) He visits a friend.
(d) He hires a prostitute.
10. How does the governor betray Malta?
(a) He keeps all the money from the sale of the prisoners.
(b) He allows the Turkish prisoners to escape.
(c) He conspires with the vice-admiral to overthrow the government.
(d) He gives Malta over to Spanish rule.
11. What circumstance would want to make Barabas die?
(a) His conversion to Catholicism.
(b) The conquering of the city.
(c) Living in poverty.
(d) The death of his daughter.
12. What does Barabas tell his slave about himself?
(a) That he's killed people.
(b) That he's stolen from people.
(c) That he has a second wife.
(d) That he hates Christians.
13. Who tells her son he shouldn't speak to Jews?
14. Which duelist is Katherine's son?
15. What does Barabas decide once Abigail has left his house?
(a) To convince her to return.
(b) To kill her.
(c) To let her live her own life.
(d) To prove to her Catholicism is false.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machevill suggest a person gains power?
2. Why do the characters in Act 3, Scene 2 challenge each other to a duel?
3. What religion is the slave Barabas buys?
4. Who represents the Turks at the meeting with the Maltese governor?
5. What is the name of the slave Barabas buys?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)