|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who represents the Turks at the meeting with the Maltese governor?
2. What exactly is in the bag of the prostitute's friend'?
3. After executing Barabas's final step in the plan against the nuns, what does Barabas's accomplice do?
(a) He warns Abigail.
(b) He warns the nuns.
(c) He returns to the house.
(d) He goes to get a drink.
4. Where does Abigail send Ithamore after he's explained what happened because of the letters?
(a) To find her father.
(b) To find Ferneze.
(c) To find the friars.
(d) To find Katherine.
5. What is Abigail worried will happen when she helps her father retrieve his gold?
(a) That the nuns will get up for prayers.
(b) That Barabas will not be below the window.
(c) That the gold will fall from the bags.
(d) That the bags will be too heavy to carry.
6. What reason was given for the Jews being ordered to meet at the senate house?
(b) To determine merchant bonuses.
(c) To celebrate a Jewish holy day.
(d) To penalize non-taxpayers.
7. What does Barabas ask for in prayer when he goes to retrieve his hidden gold?
(a) That God will kill those who stole his gold and house.
(b) That God will have the government return his home.
(c) That God will help Abigail to deliver the gold.
(d) That God will help the Turks to conquer the city.
8. Whom does Barabas warn his slave against trusting?
9. What does Barabas says he will do if he doesn't recover his money?
(a) He will burn the place with everyone inside.
(b) He will work hard and earn more money.
(c) He will steal someone else's money.
(d) He will haunt the place after he dies.
10. Who refuses the Spanish visitor's request when he comes to Malta?
11. What order does the governor issue concerning the tribute?
(a) All Jews have one week to pack personal items only and leave town.
(b) All Jews are being sold as slaves to the Turks and their possessions auctioned.
(c) All Jews must enlist in the military to fight the Turks and house soldiers in their homes.
(d) All Jews must surrender half their money and convert to Catholicism.
12. What does Ithamore say happened because of the letters?
(a) That neither Mathias nor Lodowick wants Abigail.
(b) That Mathias and Lodowick killed each other.
(c) That Abigail is no longer betrothed.
(d) That her father is dead.
13. Why do the characters in Act 3, Scene 2 challenge each other to a duel?
(a) They both are betrothed to Abigail.
(b) They both received forged letters.
(c) They each want the other one dead.
(d) They both hate each other.
14. Where did the bag and its contents come from?
(a) The senate house.
(b) The monastery.
(c) The Spanish.
(d) Barabas's house.
15. What does Barabas's character represent?
(a) Egotism and selfishness.
(b) Greed and stereotyped Judaism.
(c) Hard work and perseverence.
(d) Greed and stereotyped Catholicism.
Short Answer Questions
1. A star shining in the east announced Jesus' birth. By calling his accomplice a star shining in the east, what is implied about Barabas's gold?
2. How does Barabas conduct his business?
3. What does the prostitute assume is in the bag?
4. What is required before the imports on a ship can be offloaded?
5. Where did several of Marlowe's plays take place?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)