|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machevill suggest a person gains power?
(a) Through deception and murder.
(b) Through honesty and perseverence.
(c) Through greed and immoral behavior.
(d) Through stealing and blackmail.
2. A star shining in the east announced Jesus' birth. By calling his accomplice a star shining in the east, what is implied about Barabas's gold?
(a) It is his god.
(b) It is holy.
(c) It is his last hope.
(d) It is divine.
3. How does Barabas describe Abigail?
(a) A star, shining in the east.
(b) A spy, deceiving his enemies.
(c) A fly, unseen on the wall.
(d) An expert, stealing with ease.
4. Who represents the Turks at the meeting with the Maltese governor?
5. What does Abigail realize about father when she learns about the duel?
(a) He doesn't follow his own religion.
(b) He will never repent.
(c) He loves his wealth more than he loves her.
(d) He should be punished for his wicked deeds.
6. Who secretly watches the duel?
7. What does the prostitute think about the man who is approaching?
(a) That he will steal the bag.
(b) That he will be a customer.
(c) That he is attractive.
(d) That he will arrest them.
8. Why does Barabas think the Jews were ordered to meet at the senate house?
(a) For the government to confiscate their houses.
(b) For the government to enlist their aid against the Turks.
(c) For the government to demand their money.
(d) For the government to imprison them.
9. What happens after the governor and vice-admiral agree?
(a) The Spanish announce their rule over Malta.
(b) The Turkish prisoners are released.
(c) The Spanish prepare to fight the Turks.
(d) The Turkish prisoners are sold.
10. What question does Abigail ask Ithamore when he returns from delivering the letters?
(a) She asks where he's been.
(b) She asks why he's happy.
(c) She asks why he's drunk.
(d) She asks why he's late.
11. How old is Barabas's daughter?
12. Who makes the delivery to the nunnery?
(c) A friar.
13. What does his slave tell Barabas about himself?
(a) That he has hurt Muslims.
(b) That he has hurt atheists.
(c) That he has hurt Jews.
(d) That he has hurt Christians.
14. What does Ithamore do after he's delivered the letters?
(a) He hires a prostitute.
(b) He returns to Barabas's house.
(c) He visits a friend.
(d) He goes to a tavern to have a drink.
15. Why is the prostitute depressed?
(a) She has no money.
(b) She's dying.
(c) She's being put out of the city.
(d) She hates her customers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ithamore returns home in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he tell Abigail he's been doing?
2. What does Abigail tell Ithamore after he's brought the friar?
3. What two systems were partnered in Marlowe's time?
4. What order does the governor issue concerning the tribute?
5. How does Barabas conduct his personal life?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)