|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why may some exact words of Marlowe's plays seem familiar?
(a) Marlowe stole Shakespeare's exact wording.
(b) Both Shakespeare and Marlowe stole exact wording from the Bible.
(c) Marlowe stole exact wording from the Bible.
(d) Shakespeare stole his exact wording.
2. What do the duelists' parents find?
(a) Bloody clothes.
(b) Two pistols.
(c) Their bodies.
(d) Injured sons.
3. Why was Marlowe jailed?
(a) He plotted the governor's murder.
(b) He allegedly wrote lies about someone.
(c) He wrote against the Catholic church.
(d) He got drunk and started a fight.
4. Why does the Spanish armada come to Malta?
(a) To take a time of relaxation.
(b) To resupply their vessels.
(c) To trade with their cargo.
(d) To sell Turkish prisoners.
5. What does Ithamore say happened because of the letters?
(a) That Mathias and Lodowick killed each other.
(b) That her father is dead.
(c) That neither Mathias nor Lodowick wants Abigail.
(d) That Abigail is no longer betrothed.
6. Who is the vice-admiral of the Spanish navy?
(a) Martino del Boscarelli.
(b) Boscum del Martinelli.
(c) Bosco del Martinez.
(d) Martin del Bosco.
7. How does Barabas describe Abigail?
(a) A star, shining in the east.
(b) A spy, deceiving his enemies.
(c) An expert, stealing with ease.
(d) A fly, unseen on the wall.
8. How does Barabas get his hidden money?
(a) Abigail drops sacks of gold from a window.
(b) Abigail carries the gold our the front door.
(c) Abigail hides the gold in a basket of dirty clothes being taken to the laundry.
(d) Abigail smuggles the gold out the back door.
9. Who makes the delivery to the nunnery?
(d) A friar.
10. Who prepares to fight a duel in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) Barabas and Mathias.
(b) Lodowick and Ithamore.
(c) Mathias and Lodowick.
(d) Barabas and Ithamore.
11. How does Barabas's accomplice gain access to where the money is hidden?
(a) By crawling through a broken window.
(b) By lying to the people there.
(c) By simply walking in unattended.
(d) By knocking out the watchman.
12. What does Barabas say as he is ruining what Ithamore brings out?
(a) He promises Ithamore a reward for delivering it.
(b) He prays those who get it will become ill.
(c) He invokes curses on those who'll be getting it.
(d) He remarks that revenge will be sweet.
13. How does the governor betray Malta?
(a) He conspires with the vice-admiral to overthrow the government.
(b) He keeps all the money from the sale of the prisoners.
(c) He allows the Turkish prisoners to escape.
(d) He gives Malta over to Spanish rule.
14. What is a counting house?
(a) A business where clerks manage other people's accounts.
(b) A boys' school that teaches accounting.
(c) A private house built to accomodate visiting royalty.
(d) A place where gold, silver, and valuable goods are stored.
15. A star shining in the east announced Jesus' birth. By calling his accomplice a star shining in the east, what is implied about Barabas's gold?
(a) It is divine.
(b) It is holy.
(c) It is his last hope.
(d) It is his god.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barabas says he will do if he doesn't recover his money?
2. Why did the Jews flee to Malta?
3. Why do the characters in Act 3, Scene 2 challenge each other to a duel?
4. When Ithamore returns home in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he tell Abigail he's been doing?
5. What does Abigail ask the friar?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)