|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Barabas's political affiliation?
(a) He supports the local government.
(b) He supports the Turks.
(c) He supports the Spanish.
(d) He has none.
2. When Abigail decides to remove herself permanently from her father's household, what does she leave for her father?
(a) Some money.
(b) Some flowers.
(c) A handkerchief.
(d) A letter.
3. Why does the governor agree to let the Spanish stay?
(a) He will be paid a large amount of money.
(b) He will be allowed to live.
(c) He will still be governor.
(d) He will become Malta's king.
4. What is the name of the slave Barabas buys?
5. What does Barabas do with what Ithamore brings out?
(a) He sprinkles dirt in it.
(b) He adds urine to it.
(c) He puts poisons in it.
(d) He mixes crushed glass in it.
6. What does Abigail ask the friar?
(a) If she is worthy to convert.
(b) If her sins are beyond repentance.
(c) If she will go to hell if she dies.
(d) If she can return to the nunnery.
7. Why did the Jews flee to Malta?
(a) The presence of a Christian monastery.
(b) The opportunity for a wealthier lifestyle.
(c) The abundance of available free land.
(d) The persecution of the Spanish Inquisition.
8. Where is the man approaching the prostitute and her friend coming from?
(a) He had delivered two forged challenges.
(b) He had delivered two boxes of food.
(c) He had delivered two dueling pistols.
(d) He had delivered two invitations.
9. Why do the characters in Act 3, Scene 2 challenge each other to a duel?
(a) They both are betrothed to Abigail.
(b) They both hate each other.
(c) They each want the other one dead.
(d) They both received forged letters.
10. Who secretly watches the duel?
11. Why may some exact words of Marlowe's plays seem familiar?
(a) Both Shakespeare and Marlowe stole exact wording from the Bible.
(b) Marlowe stole Shakespeare's exact wording.
(c) Marlowe stole exact wording from the Bible.
(d) Shakespeare stole his exact wording.
12. What happens to the bodies of the duelists when the parents go?
(a) They are carried away.
(b) They are thrown in the sea.
(c) They are left behind.
(d) They are buried.
13. Who leaves the duel rejoicing?
14. What do the duelists' parents find?
(a) Two pistols.
(b) Their bodies.
(c) Injured sons.
(d) Bloody clothes.
15. Who does Barabas's daughter love?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did other playwrights get from Marlowe?
2. Who is the vice-admiral of the Spanish navy?
3. What does the prostitute assume is in the bag?
4. Where did the bag and its contents come from?
5. What do the duelists' parent have in common?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)