|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What order does the governor issue concerning the tribute?
(a) All Jews must surrender half their money and convert to Catholicism.
(b) All Jews must enlist in the military to fight the Turks and house soldiers in their homes.
(c) All Jews are being sold as slaves to the Turks and their possessions auctioned.
(d) All Jews have one week to pack personal items only and leave town.
2. Why does Barabas prefer to be paid in gold rather than valuable goods?
(a) Goods can lose their value.
(b) Gold is as good as money in any nation.
(c) Goods can be burned or lost.
(d) Gold takes up less space.
3. Why may some exact words of Marlowe's plays seem familiar?
(a) Shakespeare stole his exact wording.
(b) Marlowe stole Shakespeare's exact wording.
(c) Both Shakespeare and Marlowe stole exact wording from the Bible.
(d) Marlowe stole exact wording from the Bible.
4. What does Barabas's home become?
(a) A military barracks.
(b) A counting house.
(c) A monastery.
(d) A nunnery.
5. Who represents the Turks at the meeting with the Maltese governor?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Marlowe jailed?
2. Who does the governor ask for physical assistance against the Turks?
3. What two systems were partnered in Marlowe's time?
4. What does the second merchant tell Barabas?
5. What does Barabas's character represent?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)