* Englishman Christopher Marlow wrote the play The Jew of Malta.
* The play was first performed in 1592.
* Marlowe's character Machevill introduces the play by praising greed and amoral behavior.
* Marlow introduces the play's main character Barabas, a Jew, who has obtained his wealth by following Machevill's recommendations.
Act 1, Scene 1
* Barabas inspects his gold and possessions in his counting house.
* A merchant arrives to say Barabas's ship has landed with other ships to soon follow.
* Barabas promises the taxes on the cargo will be paid.
* Three men tell Barabas that Turkish warships have followed the other ships into the harbor.
* All Jews are ordered to appear at the senate house.
* Barabas believes the Turks will demand money from Malta.
Act 1, Scene 2
* Ferneze, Malta's governor, meets with Calymath, the leader of the Turks, and demands to know why Calymath is there.
* Calymath tells Ferneze he has come to collect ten...
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)