|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is overwhelming?
2. What does Judas call Mary Magdalene?
3. Where is the group?
4. What does Jesus say one has to do to conquer death?
5. What does this cross do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to Jesus during this scene?
2. Describe the characters who enter this scene.
3. What does Mary Magdalene ask Peter? What is his response?
4. How does Judas act in front of the council?
5. What does Judas believe Jesus should have done?
6. How does Judas betray Jesus?
7. What happens to the African American male leaning on the wall?
8. How does this scene begin?
9. What does Judas try to do while he is here?
10. What appears in front of Judas? What does Judas do with this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 1, Scene 14, as Mary Magdalene is washing Jesus' feet, he is dressed all in white.
Part 1) Why does she wash his feet? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) What is symbolic about his white clothing?
Part 3) How has Jesus' clothing changed throughout the musical? Why? How is it related to the plot and changes in his character?
Essay Topic 2
The stage production of JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR is an updated version of the Biblical story.
Part 1) Why has this story been updated? Was this necessary? Why or why not?
Part 2) What message does this updated version send, besides the known story?
Part 3) How could audiences of the 1960s and 1970s relate to this story? Is it still relevant today? Why or why not? Would you suggest another updating? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Act 2, Scene 2, Jesus' humanity is now clear.
Part 1) How is it now clear? Why is his humanity revealed?
Part 2) Does Jesus speak to God in a way you would expect? Why or why not?
Part 3) What changes take place in Jesus during this scene? Why do they take place?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)