|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Beatrice's body found?
2. What do the other guests think of Beatrice's writing?
3. Where does Jury find Isobel Dunsany?
4. Why does Tommy want to go to the Jerusalem Inn with Melrose in Chapter 14?
5. Who thinks Grace was the intended target (instead of Beatrice)?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss 1) at least three ways the novel would change if it were written from the perspective of Melrose as well as 2) at least three literary devices Grimes could use while writing from these different perspectives.
Essay Topic 2
Murder mysteries, and Martha Grimes in particular, are an especially popular type of novel. Discuss at least four aspects of Grimes's writing style that resonates so strongly with such a large audience, citing specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why it was necessary for Beatrice to die in "Jerusalem Inn." Make sure to discuss what effect her death has on the text in general and on Jury in particular -- and why those consequences were necessary for the story.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)