|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long does Charles predict his guests will be snowed in at his home?
2. What is Melrose's impression of Susan Assington?
3. How do Tom and Melrose return to the mansion after sneaking out?
4. Who is horrified at the thought of Melrose, Vivian, Agatha, and Ruthven getting a room at the Jerusalem Inn when it appears they are stranded from the storm?
5. Who promises to come get Melrose, Vivian, Agatha, and Ruthven when they are stranded at the Jerusalem Inn during a storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Grace most upset about during her questioning with Jury about Beatrice's murder?
2. How does Susan Assington appear to the group when it arrives at Spinney Abbey during the snowstorm?
3. What does Parmenger say to Jury while being questioned about Beatrice's murder?
4. What information do Jury and Grace share about Grace possibly being poisoned?
5. What wry comment does Parmenger make to Jury about how he is dressed the night Beatrice is found?
6. What does Parmenger later admit to doing at Seaingham's mansion during his visit there?
7. What feature of Beatrice's leaves a particular impression on Melrose when he first meets her?
8. How is Lady St. Leger described when her character is introduced in Chapter 11?
9. What is Grace's physician's theory about what happened with Beatrice?
10. What theory of Beatrice's murder do Jury and Melrose discuss at the Jerusalem Inn when they are there with Tom and Robbie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Jury is a good role model for teenage/young adult readers.
Essay Topic 2
Present a well-reasoned paper arguing whether the reader is supposed to find Melrose a likable (giving, charitable, smart detective) character OR an unlikable (spoiled, arrogant, condescending former aristocrat) character. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two female characters from "Jerusalem Inn" (like Helen and Beatrice or Lady St. Leger and Beatrice).
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)