|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is horrified at the thought of Melrose, Vivian, Agatha, and Ruthven getting a room at the Jerusalem Inn when it appears they are stranded from the storm?
2. Who is Lady St. Leger in charge of?
3. Who adopted Helen's child?
4. Why does Jury want to go to the Jerusalem Inn the morning after Beatrice's murder?
5. Who wins the snooker tournament Tom plays after sneaking out with Melrose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Parmenger later admit to doing at Seaingham's mansion during his visit there?
2. What role does Jury want Melrose to play during his time at Spinney Abbey?
3. How does Susan Assington appear to the group when it arrives at Spinney Abbey during the snowstorm?
4. What theory of Beatrice's murder do Jury and Melrose discuss at the Jerusalem Inn when they are there with Tom and Robbie?
5. What is going on in the Jerusalem Inn when Melrose, Plant, Vivian, Agatha, and Ruthven arrive during the snowstorm?
6. How is Lady St. Leger described when her character is introduced in Chapter 11?
7. What does Melrose do with Beatrice's murder scene when he realizes that someone has been killed?
8. What information do Jury and Grace share about Grace possibly being poisoned?
9. What is Grace most upset about during her questioning with Jury about Beatrice's murder?
10. How is the Margate Hotel described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify what you think is the tone for "Jerusalem Inn" and discuss several literary devices that Grimes uses to create this tone.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two female characters from "Jerusalem Inn" (like Helen and Beatrice or Lady St. Leger and Beatrice).
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least three things that Grimes is able to do with the character of Helen because she is a woman AND at least three things she is *not* able to do with her because she is a woman.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)