|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who promises to come get Melrose, Vivian, Agatha, and Ruthven when they are stranded at the Jerusalem Inn during a storm?
2. Who wins the snooker tournament Tom plays after sneaking out with Melrose?
3. Who was Helen very interested in when she came to talk to Miss Dunsany?
4. How do Tommy and Melrose decide to get to the Jerusalem Inn?
5. How does Jury decide Beatrice has been killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Melrose offer Jury about Elizabeth St. Leger when they unexpectedly meet up in the Jerusalem Inn?
2. What information do Jury and Grace share about Grace possibly being poisoned?
3. What does Melrose do with Beatrice's murder scene when he realizes that someone has been killed?
4. What does Parmenger say to Jury while being questioned about Beatrice's murder?
5. What feature of Beatrice's leaves a particular impression on Melrose when he first meets her?
6. What does Vivian ask Jury as she is leaving from being questioned by him about Beatrice's death?
7. How does Jury come to realize that Melrose and Vivian are in the area when he arrives at the Jerusalem Inn?
8. What wry comment does Parmenger make to Jury about how he is dressed the night Beatrice is found?
9. What information does Ruthven hear from other servants that he passes along to Melrose?
10. What is Grace's physician's theory about what happened with Beatrice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Jury is a good role model for teenage/young adult readers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the Helen Minton murder scene 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least three key facts about Helen that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least three things that Grimes is able to do with the character of Helen because she is a woman AND at least three things she is *not* able to do with her because she is a woman.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)