|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Jury and Wiggins meet up after Beatrice's murder?
2. What weapon does Jury decide Beatrice is killed with?
3. What is Miss Hargreaves-Brown's real name?
4. What does Jury ask Vivian when he is questioning her about Beatrice's murder?
5. What secret does Jury confess to Grace that he knows about her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Parmenger later admit to doing at Seaingham's mansion during his visit there?
2. What theory of Beatrice's murder do Jury and Melrose discuss at the Jerusalem Inn when they are there with Tom and Robbie?
3. What is Grace most upset about during her questioning with Jury about Beatrice's murder?
4. What does Melrose do with Beatrice's murder scene when he realizes that someone has been killed?
5. What is Grace's physician's theory about what happened with Beatrice?
6. What is confusing to the guests about Beatrice's murder scene?
7. What is going on in the Jerusalem Inn when Melrose, Plant, Vivian, Agatha, and Ruthven arrive during the snowstorm?
8. What first impression of Parmenger does Melrose offer to Jury?
9. What feature of Beatrice's leaves a particular impression on Melrose when he first meets her?
10. How does Jury come to realize that Melrose and Vivian are in the area when he arrives at the Jerusalem Inn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Present a well-reasoned paper arguing whether the reader is supposed to find Melrose a likable (giving, charitable, smart detective) character OR an unlikable (spoiled, arrogant, condescending former aristocrat) character. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least three different literary techniques Grimes uses to create tension in "Jerusalem Inn."
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least three things that Grimes is able to do with the character of Helen because she is a woman AND at least three things she is *not* able to do with her because she is a woman.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)