|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Jury wake up Melrose the morning after Beatrice's murder?
2. Who wins the snooker tournament Tom plays after sneaking out with Melrose?
3. What kind of storm interferes with several characters' plans to get to Charles Seaingham's home?
4. What does someone believe is the only vehicle that can rescue Melrose, Vivian, Agatha, and Ruthven when they are stranded at the Jerusalem Inn?
5. What forces Danielle into service as a maid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Grace's physician's theory about what happened with Beatrice?
2. What does Melrose do with Beatrice's murder scene when he realizes that someone has been killed?
3. What feature of Beatrice's leaves a particular impression on Melrose when he first meets her?
4. What does Parmenger say to Jury while being questioned about Beatrice's murder?
5. What does the group discuss over its first dinner at Spinney Abbey?
6. What first impression of Parmenger does Melrose offer to Jury?
7. What is Grace most upset about during her questioning with Jury about Beatrice's murder?
8. What information do Jury and Grace share about Grace possibly being poisoned?
9. How does Jury respond to being yelled at when he lights the fire in the Margate Hotel?
10. What does Parmenger later admit to doing at Seaingham's mansion during his visit there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Present a well-reasoned paper arguing whether the reader is supposed to find Melrose a likable (giving, charitable, smart detective) character OR an unlikable (spoiled, arrogant, condescending former aristocrat) character. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least one female character from "Jerusalem Inn" and discuss at least three ways she goes against traditional gender stereotypes of someone like her.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three literary techniques Grimes uses to make one character of your choosing from the "Jerusalem Inn" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)