|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Melrose claim he hasn't heard of Helen's death?
2. What kind of case does Jury question Sir George about?
3. How does Jury get to the mansion after Tom and Melrose sneak out?
4. What kind of alcohol does Mrs. Krimp reluctantly provide for the guests at the Margate Hotel?
5. Who promises to come get Melrose, Vivian, Agatha, and Ruthven when they are stranded at the Jerusalem Inn during a storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Jury want Melrose to play during his time at Spinney Abbey?
2. How does Susan Assington appear to the group when it arrives at Spinney Abbey during the snowstorm?
3. How is Lady St. Leger described when her character is introduced in Chapter 11?
4. What theory of Beatrice's murder do Jury and Melrose discuss at the Jerusalem Inn when they are there with Tom and Robbie?
5. What first impression of Parmenger does Melrose offer to Jury?
6. What does Melrose do with Beatrice's murder scene when he realizes that someone has been killed?
7. What information does Ruthven hear from other servants that he passes along to Melrose?
8. What was Brown's assignment when she was placed at Bonaventure?
9. What does the group discuss over its first dinner at Spinney Abbey?
10. How does Jury come to realize that Melrose and Vivian are in the area when he arrives at the Jerusalem Inn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Present a well-reasoned paper arguing whether the reader is supposed to find Melrose a likable (giving, charitable, smart detective) character OR an unlikable (spoiled, arrogant, condescending former aristocrat) character. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Murder mysteries, and Martha Grimes in particular, are an especially popular type of novel. Discuss at least four aspects of Grimes's writing style that resonates so strongly with such a large audience, citing specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Grimes portrays authority figures in "Jerusalem Inn," making sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)