|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other guests think of Beatrice's writing?
2. What forces Danielle into service as a maid?
3. What meal do Grace and Jury share while discussing Beatrice's murder?
4. Who is Sir George Assington?
5. How does Jury decide Beatrice has been killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vivian ask Jury as she is leaving from being questioned by him about Beatrice's death?
2. What is going on in the Jerusalem Inn when Melrose, Plant, Vivian, Agatha, and Ruthven arrive during the snowstorm?
3. What does Parmenger say to Jury while being questioned about Beatrice's murder?
4. What information does Ruthven hear from other servants that he passes along to Melrose?
5. What first impression of Parmenger does Melrose offer to Jury?
6. What role does Jury want Melrose to play during his time at Spinney Abbey?
7. What is Grace's physician's theory about what happened with Beatrice?
8. What feature of Beatrice's leaves a particular impression on Melrose when he first meets her?
9. What information do Jury and Grace share about Grace possibly being poisoned?
10. How is the Margate Hotel described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least four negative aspects of having a protagonist as brooding as Richard Jury. Make sure to use evidence from the novel to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss 1) at least three ways the novel would change if it were written from the perspective of Melrose as well as 2) at least three literary devices Grimes could use while writing from these different perspectives.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least three things that Grimes is able to do with the character of Helen because she is a woman AND at least three things she is *not* able to do with her because she is a woman.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)