|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Vivian engaged?
2. During his first visit to the Jerusalem Inn, who does Jury learn Helen once talked to there?
3. Who is Maureen Littleton?
4. Who is Ruthven?
5. What does Maureen reveal to Jury about Helen's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Melrose respond to Lady Agatha's comment that he is an "unconfirmed bachelor"?
2. What keen observation of Helen does Jury make when they first meet?
3. What does Cullen say in his phone call to Jury at the end of Chapter 9?
4. What does Jury learn about the stone Helen was at when Jury first saw her?
5. What does Jury think of Mrs. Wasserman?
6. How does Racer interact with Cyril?
7. How does Lady Agatha react to Melrose's giving up of his title?
8. What happens when Jury walks into the church as the novel opens?
9. Why does Jury say to Helen about his difficulties dating?
10. How does Cyril interact with Racer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least three aspects of "Jerusalem Inn" that makes the novel believable as well as what literary devices Grimes uses to create that level of believability OR analyze at least three aspects of "Jerusalem Inn" that makes the novel unbelievable as well as what literary devices Grimes does not use effectively to create a level of believability in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the Helen Minton murder scene 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least three key facts about Helen that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Grimes portrays authority figures in "Jerusalem Inn," making sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)