|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Maureen and Jury drink during their first conversation together?
2. What does Jury think about Miss Hargreaves-Brown's accent?
3. What did Helen's supposed father do with the family business dealings?
4. What does Helen tell Jury she does for a living?
5. What was found near Helen's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What keen observation of Helen does Jury make when they first meet?
2. How does Melrose respond to Lady Agatha's comment that he is an "unconfirmed bachelor"?
3. What does Cullen say in his phone call to Jury at the end of Chapter 9?
4. What does Jury think of his cousin's husband?
5. Who does Jury think Parmenger is in Part I?
6. How does Racer interact with Cyril?
7. Who discovers Helen's body?
8. Why does Melrose think he was invited to travel with Vivian?
9. What happens when Jury walks into the church as the novel opens?
10. Why does Jury say to Helen about his difficulties dating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two female characters from "Jerusalem Inn" (like Helen and Beatrice or Lady St. Leger and Beatrice).
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least four features of Lady St. Leger, how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a villain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 3 literary devices that Grimes uses to help the reader better understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)