|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was found near Helen's body?
2. What is the name of Frederick Parmenger's father?
3. Where was Parmenger educated?
4. Where does Jury go after he leaves the church when the novel opens?
5. Where does Jury walk Helen when he first meets her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cyril interact with Racer?
2. What triggers Maureen to wonder if something has happened to Helen?
3. What happens after Jury walks Helen home after first meeting her?
4. How does Melrose react to how Ruthven addresses him?
5. How does Jury respond to Cullen when Cullen asks him how long he has known Helen?
6. Why does Melrose think he was invited to travel with Vivian?
7. What does Cullen say in his phone call to Jury at the end of Chapter 9?
8. How does Vivian excuse the separation between her fiance and herself during the holiday season?
9. Who discovers Helen's body?
10. Who does Jury think Parmenger is in Part I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify what you think is the tone for "Jerusalem Inn" and discuss several literary devices that Grimes uses to create this tone.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Jury and Melrose, making sure to use direct evidence and examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why it was necessary for Beatrice to die in "Jerusalem Inn." Make sure to discuss what effect her death has on the text in general and on Jury in particular -- and why those consequences were necessary for the story.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)