|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Helen's last name?
2. What is Melrose's last name?
3. What do Maureen and Jury drink during their first conversation together?
4. What holiday season is approaching in the novel?
5. What does Cullen report about crime in Washington?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who discovers Helen's body?
2. How does Melrose respond to Lady Agatha's comment that he is an "unconfirmed bachelor"?
3. How does Vivian excuse the separation between her fiance and herself during the holiday season?
4. Why does Melrose think he was invited to travel with Vivian?
5. What happens during Racer's rant at Jury?
6. What important information does Maureen give Jury about her time in school?
7. How does Jury respond to Cullen when Cullen asks him how long he has known Helen?
8. What does Jury think of his cousin's husband?
9. What does Cullen say in his phone call to Jury at the end of Chapter 9?
10. Why does Jury say to Helen about his difficulties dating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Present a well-reasoned paper arguing whether the reader is supposed to find Melrose a likable (giving, charitable, smart detective) character OR an unlikable (spoiled, arrogant, condescending former aristocrat) character. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least four negative aspects of having a protagonist as brooding as Richard Jury. Make sure to use evidence from the novel to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Murder mysteries, and Martha Grimes in particular, are an especially popular type of novel. Discuss at least four aspects of Grimes's writing style that resonates so strongly with such a large audience, citing specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)