|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Wasserman believe has been happening for years?
2. What small gift does Addie give to Jury during his visit to Bonaventure School?
3. Where does Racer work?
4. Why does Jury walk into a church when the novel first opens?
5. How does Helen seem when Jury first finds her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Racer interact with Cyril?
2. What important information does Maureen give Jury about her time in school?
3. What does Father Rourke tell Jury about the research Helen was supposedly doing?
4. What happens when Jury walks into the church as the novel opens?
5. How does Cyril interact with Racer?
6. What does Jury think of his cousin's husband?
7. How does Melrose respond to Lady Agatha's comment that he is an "unconfirmed bachelor"?
8. What keen observation of Helen does Jury make when they first meet?
9. What does Nellie tell Jury when he comes to talk to her about Helen?
10. Why does Melrose think he was invited to travel with Vivian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three reasons why "Jerusalem Inn" could be classified in a genre other than murder mystery, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Grimes portrays authority figures in "Jerusalem Inn," making sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Murder mysteries, and Martha Grimes in particular, are an especially popular type of novel. Discuss at least four aspects of Grimes's writing style that resonates so strongly with such a large audience, citing specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)