|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jury finally realize Maureen hates talking about?
2. What does Cullen cite as one of the more exciting crime activities that happened recently?
3. What kind of medical condition does Helen have?
4. How did Helen keep her house?
5. What does Jury admit to Helen when the first meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vivian excuse the separation between her fiance and herself during the holiday season?
2. How does Racer interact with Cyril?
3. How does Jury respond to Cullen when Cullen asks him how long he has known Helen?
4. How does Melrose react to how Ruthven addresses him?
5. Who does Jury think Parmenger is in Part I?
6. What happens when Jury walks into the church as the novel opens?
7. What happens during Racer's rant at Jury?
8. What does Cullen say in his phone call to Jury at the end of Chapter 9?
9. What does Father Rourke tell Jury about the research Helen was supposedly doing?
10. What triggers Maureen to wonder if something has happened to Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Murder mysteries, and Martha Grimes in particular, are an especially popular type of novel. Discuss at least four aspects of Grimes's writing style that resonates so strongly with such a large audience, citing specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least three literary techniques Grimes uses to make one character of your choosing from the "Jerusalem Inn" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the Helen Minton murder scene 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least three key facts about Helen that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)