|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ruthven refer to Melrose?
2. What small gift does Addie give to Jury during his visit to Bonaventure School?
3. Who is Miss Hargreaves-Brown?
4. Who has Seaingham invited to his home in the novel?
5. What kinds of kids attend Bonaventure School?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information do Jury and Grace share about Grace possibly being poisoned?
2. What does Parmenger later admit to doing at Seaingham's mansion during his visit there?
3. Why does Lady St. Leger give Danielle money?
4. What does Father Rourke tell Jury about the research Helen was supposedly doing?
5. What is confusing to the guests about Beatrice's murder scene?
6. What does Jury think of Mrs. Wasserman?
7. How is the Margate Hotel described?
8. What information does Melrose offer Jury about Elizabeth St. Leger when they unexpectedly meet up in the Jerusalem Inn?
9. What happens during Racer's rant at Jury?
10. Why does St. Leger kill Beatrice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 literary devices that Grimes uses to help the reader better understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Jury is a good role model for teenage/young adult readers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss 1) at least three ways the novel would change if it were written from the perspective of Melrose as well as 2) at least three literary devices Grimes could use while writing from these different perspectives.
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)