|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What small gift does Addie give to Jury during his visit to Bonaventure School?
2. What is Helen's last name?
3. What does Jury believe to be the source of Mrs. Wasserman's anxiety?
4. Who is Miss Hargreaves-Brown?
5. How does Ruthven refer to Melrose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jury say to Helen about his difficulties dating?
2. What does Jury learn about the stone Helen was at when Jury first saw her?
3. How does Jury respond to Cullen when Cullen asks him how long he has known Helen?
4. What happens when Jury walks into the church as the novel opens?
5. What triggers Maureen to wonder if something has happened to Helen?
6. Who discovers Helen's body?
7. How does Racer interact with Cyril?
8. What does Jury think of Mrs. Wasserman?
9. What does Nellie tell Jury when he comes to talk to her about Helen?
10. What keen observation of Helen does Jury make when they first meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two female characters from "Jerusalem Inn" (like Helen and Beatrice or Lady St. Leger and Beatrice).
Essay Topic 2
Present a well-reasoned paper arguing whether the reader is supposed to find Melrose a likable (giving, charitable, smart detective) character OR an unlikable (spoiled, arrogant, condescending former aristocrat) character. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three literary techniques Grimes uses to make one character of your choosing from the "Jerusalem Inn" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)