|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jury's cousin do for a living?
2. What does Helen's autopsy report confirm?
3. What does Cullen agree to do once he receives the autopsy reports about Helen?
4. What are the only things that get Mrs. Wasserman out of her house?
5. How does Ruthven refer to Melrose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What triggers Maureen to wonder if something has happened to Helen?
2. What happens during Racer's rant at Jury?
3. What happens after Jury walks Helen home after first meeting her?
4. How does Melrose respond to Lady Agatha's comment that he is an "unconfirmed bachelor"?
5. Who does Jury think Parmenger is in Part I?
6. What does Cullen say in his phone call to Jury at the end of Chapter 9?
7. What does Addie tell Jury the first time they meet at Bonaventure School?
8. What does Jury think of Mrs. Wasserman?
9. What keen observation of Helen does Jury make when they first meet?
10. What does Nellie tell Jury when he comes to talk to her about Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three reasons why "Jerusalem Inn" could be classified in a genre other than murder mystery, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Present a well-reasoned paper arguing whether the reader is supposed to find Melrose a likable (giving, charitable, smart detective) character OR an unlikable (spoiled, arrogant, condescending former aristocrat) character. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jury and Melrose, making sure to use direct evidence and examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)