|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jury think about Miss Hargreaves-Brown's accent?
2. Why does Jury walk into a church when the novel first opens?
3. Who is Fiona Clingmore?
4. Who has Seaingham invited to his home in the novel?
5. What does Jury buy for his cousin's children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jury say to Helen about his difficulties dating?
2. What does Father Rourke tell Jury about the research Helen was supposedly doing?
3. What triggers Maureen to wonder if something has happened to Helen?
4. What does Cullen say in his phone call to Jury at the end of Chapter 9?
5. How does Jury respond to Cullen when Cullen asks him how long he has known Helen?
6. What does Jury think of his cousin's husband?
7. Who does Jury think Parmenger is in Part I?
8. What does Nellie tell Jury when he comes to talk to her about Helen?
9. What happens during Racer's rant at Jury?
10. Who discovers Helen's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two female characters from "Jerusalem Inn" (like Helen and Beatrice or Lady St. Leger and Beatrice).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the Helen Minton murder scene 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least three key facts about Helen that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three aspects of "Jerusalem Inn" that makes the novel believable as well as what literary devices Grimes uses to create that level of believability OR analyze at least three aspects of "Jerusalem Inn" that makes the novel unbelievable as well as what literary devices Grimes does not use effectively to create a level of believability in the story.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)