|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jury know something bad has happened to Helen?
2. Who discovered Helen's body?
3. What does Cullen report about crime in Washington?
4. Where does Jury spend a day with his cousin after he meets Helen?
5. What does Cullen cite as one of the more exciting crime activities that happened recently?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jury think Parmenger is in Part I?
2. How does Lady Agatha react to Melrose's giving up of his title?
3. How does Melrose react to how Ruthven addresses him?
4. What does Addie tell Jury the first time they meet at Bonaventure School?
5. Why does Jury say to Helen about his difficulties dating?
6. What happens during Racer's rant at Jury?
7. What does Nellie tell Jury when he comes to talk to her about Helen?
8. What does Father Rourke tell Jury about the research Helen was supposedly doing?
9. How does Melrose respond to Lady Agatha's comment that he is an "unconfirmed bachelor"?
10. What important information does Maureen give Jury about her time in school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why it was necessary for Beatrice to die in "Jerusalem Inn." Make sure to discuss what effect her death has on the text in general and on Jury in particular -- and why those consequences were necessary for the story.
Essay Topic 2
Identify what you think is the tone for "Jerusalem Inn" and discuss several literary devices that Grimes uses to create this tone.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Jury is a good role model for teenage/young adult readers.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)