|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ruthven refer to Melrose?
(c) "Your honor."
(d) "My lord."
2. Why does Jury walk into a church when the novel first opens?
(a) He is chasing a suspect.
(b) He wants to go there to pray.
(c) He is getting married.
(d) Because he is disappointed that the pubs aren't open.
3. What does Jury think about Cyril?
(a) That she is a very patient woman.
(b) That he would like to date her.
(c) That she needs a new job.
(d) That he should take him home with him.
4. What does Maureen reveal to Jury about Helen's father?
(a) That he was nobility.
(b) That he was a priest.
(c) That he supposedly was Edward's younger brother.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
5. Who discovered Helen's body?
(b) No one; it is never found.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Vivian described physically?
2. Where is Helen's body found?
3. What is the name of the man Jury picks up on his first trip to Jerusalem Inn?
4. What does Cullen cite as one of the more exciting crime activities that happened recently?
5. Who has Seaingham invited to his home in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cullen say in his phone call to Jury at the end of Chapter 9?
2. How does Cyril interact with Racer?
3. What does Nellie tell Jury when he comes to talk to her about Helen?
4. What does Father Rourke tell Jury about the research Helen was supposedly doing?
5. What triggers Maureen to wonder if something has happened to Helen?
6. What does Jury think of Mrs. Wasserman?
7. What does Jury learn about the stone Helen was at when Jury first saw her?
8. What keen observation of Helen does Jury make when they first meet?
9. What happens during Racer's rant at Jury?
10. How does Vivian excuse the separation between her fiance and herself during the holiday season?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)