|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maureen suspect of the sibling relationship between Frederick and Helen?
(a) That it was something more than that.
(b) That they commited crimes together.
(c) That they secretly hated each other.
(d) That they orchestrated the deaths of Helen's parents.
2. To whom is Vivian engaged?
(a) An Italian man.
(d) A French man.
3. Who is Father Rourke?
(a) Jury's dad, who always insists on being addressed formally.
(b) A priest.
(c) The mayor and founding father of the town Helen lived in.
(d) Helen's father.
4. What did Helen's supposed father do with the family business dealings?
(a) "Cook the books," according to Maureen.
(b) Sell the business out from under everyone.
(d) Save the family from bankruptcy.
5. Who is Nellie Pond?
(a) A librarian who once lived next door to Helen.
(b) A good friend of Helen.
(c) The woman Helen rented her house to.
(d) The woman Helen rented her house from.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jury know something bad has happened to Helen?
2. What does Jury think about Miss Hargreaves-Brown's accent?
3. What is Jury's first name?
4. What does Vivian do for a living?
5. Who was Helen supposedly doing research on, according to Father Rourke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What keen observation of Helen does Jury make when they first meet?
2. How does Jury respond to Cullen when Cullen asks him how long he has known Helen?
3. How does Lady Agatha react to Melrose's giving up of his title?
4. What does Jury think of Mrs. Wasserman?
5. What happens after Jury walks Helen home after first meeting her?
6. How does Melrose respond to Lady Agatha's comment that he is an "unconfirmed bachelor"?
7. What does Jury learn about the stone Helen was at when Jury first saw her?
8. What important information does Maureen give Jury about her time in school?
9. What does Jury think of his cousin's husband?
10. What happens when Jury walks into the church as the novel opens?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)