|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Grace wearing when she comes to the murder scene?
(a) Hiking gear.
(b) A very fancy ballgown.
(c) Nothing but a towel.
(d) Her nightclothes.
2. What has apparently happened to Tommy's parents?
(a) They died.
(b) They abandoned the baby on Beatrice's doorstep.
(c) They abandoned the baby on the Seaingham doorstep.
(d) They were murdered.
3. What is Melrose's impression of Susan Assington?
(a) That she is not very bright.
(b) That she is the likely murderer.
(c) That she is very, very snobby.
(d) That she is hiding something.
4. Why is Robbie Lyte returned to Bonaventure?
(a) Because he loved it there so much.
(b) Because he breaks into a bank and robs it.
(c) Because his mother died.
(d) Because he was impossible to control.
5. What is St. Leger so concerned about that happened the night before Beatrice's murder?
(a) That she got into a fight with Beatrice.
(b) That she heard people yelling but didn't investigate to see who or why.
(c) That Tom was out on skis so late at night.
(d) That someone tried to poison her own drink.
6. What kind of case does Jury question Sir George about?
(a) An old case where a husband poisoned his wife.
(b) An old case where a physician shot his patient.
(c) An old case where a physician poisoned his patient.
(d) An old case where a husband killed his wife's boyfriend.
7. Who is playing music when the guests arrive at Seaingham?
(a) A famous pianist.
(b) Tommy Whittaker.
8. How does Jury react to learning that Melrose is in the area when he arrives at the Jerusalem Inn?
(a) He is jealous because Melrose is dating Jury's old girlfriend.
(b) He is sad because they used to be good friends.
(c) He is angry because he is creeping in on his case.
(d) He is glad because they have worked together before.
9. What weapon does Jury decide Beatrice is killed with?
(a) Rat poison.
(b) A rope.
(c) A kitchen knife.
(d) A shotgun.
10. What kind of storm interferes with several characters' plans to get to Charles Seaingham's home?
(a) A heavy hailstorm.
(b) A blinding rain.
(c) A dust storm.
(d) A blizzard.
11. Why does Tommy want to go to the Jerusalem Inn with Melrose in Chapter 14?
(a) Because he is feeling cooped up.
(b) Because he wants to meet his girlfriend there.
(c) Because he has something to talk to Melrose about privatelly.
(d) Because he wants to go out drinking.
12. Who was Helen very interested in when she came to talk to Miss Dunsany?
(a) Miss Dunsany herself.
(b) Miss Dunsany's mother.
(c) A former maid employed in the Dunsany household.
(d) A former teacher of Miss Dunsany.
13. What does Jury do in the Margate Hotel that causes someone else to get upset?
(a) Demand to be given free accommodations because he is a police officer.
(b) Get too drunk.
(c) Light a fire.
(d) Make a lot of noise.
14. What does Melrose think of Beatrice?
(a) That she is neight ugly nor attractive.
(b) That he cannot decide if she is ugly or not.
(c) That she is hideously ugly.
(d) That she is attractive.
15. What secret does Jury confess to Grace that he knows about her?
(a) That she is pregnant.
(b) That she is ill.
(c) That she is having an affair.
(d) That she is a fugitive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret did Helen tell Miss Hargreaves-Brown first?
2. How do Tommy and Melrose decide to get to the Jerusalem Inn?
3. What does Beatrice do for a living?
4. How tall is Jury?
5. Whom does Cullen arrive with at Beatrice's murder scene?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)