|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jury go after he leaves the church when the novel opens?
(a) A cemetery.
(b) A car repair shop.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A music shop.
2. What does Jury invite Helen to do shortly after they first meet?
(a) Go out for dinner later in the week.
(b) Join him on a police ride.
(c) Go out on his yacht with him.
(d) Come shooting with him.
3. Who is Ruthven?
(a) A man whose life Melrose saved once.
(b) Melrose's assistant.
(c) Melrose's son.
(d) Melrose's brother.
4. Why does Racer yell at his secretary?
(a) She was late to work - again.
(b) He wants her to get a letter typed ASAP.
(c) She forgot to put cream in his coffee.
(d) He wants her to remove the cat from his office.
5. What does Jury admit to Helen when the first meet?
(a) That he's wanted by the police.
(b) That he is still married.
(c) That he has been watching her for a few days.
(d) That he's a police officer.
6. What does Cullen report about crime in Washington?
(a) That it only happens in the bad neighborhoods.
(b) That it never happens.
(c) That it happens all the time.
(d) That it has recently increased dramatically.
7. How does Helen treat her medical condition?
(a) With accupressure.
(b) With herbs and teas.
(c) With medicine.
(d) With chemotherapy.
8. For how long was Helen at a very expensive school?
(a) Her whole life.
(b) Only a year or two.
(c) Once she turned 16.
(d) For 6 years, just like her mother.
9. How does Lady Agatha describe Melrose?
(a) As a "arrogant jerk."
(b) As the handsomest man she's ever seen.
(c) As an "unconfirmed bachelor."
(d) As a "lying cheat."
10. What does Helen's autopsy report confirm?
(a) That she died from cancer.
(b) That she was poisoned.
(c) That she was shot.
(d) That she was stabbed to death.
11. What holiday season is approaching in the novel?
(a) Summer Solstice.
(b) The Christmas season.
(d) The Thanksgiving season.
12. What does Jury think about Miss Hargreaves-Brown's accent?
(a) That it is very annoying.
(b) That it seems out of place.
(c) That it is very sexy.
(d) That it sounds really fake and like she's trying to impress him.
13. What does Mrs. Wasserman believe has been happening for years?
(a) She has been losing her hearing.
(b) She has been going insane.
(c) Someone has been secretly pursuing her.
(d) She has been losing her vision.
14. How does Ruthven refer to Melrose?
(b) "My lord."
(d) "Your honor."
15. During his first visit to the Jerusalem Inn, who does Jury learn Helen once talked to there?
(b) Another woman.
(c) A scary man no one knew.
(d) Robbie Lyte.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nellie Pond?
2. Who discovered Helen's body?
3. What does Jury believe to be the source of Mrs. Wasserman's anxiety?
4. Who is Mrs. Wasserman?
5. What does Cullen agree to do once he receives the autopsy reports about Helen?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)