|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Helen keep her house?
(a) Very strange -- some rooms are messy, some are neat.
(b) Very neat.
(c) Very messy.
(d) Very dark; all of the windows were covered.
2. Who is Cyril?
(a) Racer's wife.
(b) Racer's secretary.
(c) Racer's daughter.
(d) Racer's cat.
3. How does Ruthven refer to Melrose?
(b) "Your honor."
(d) "My lord."
4. What is the name of Frederick Parmenger's father?
5. What does Jury's cousin do for a living?
(a) He is a writer.
(b) He is a business man.
(c) Nothing right now; he is unemployed.
(d) He is independently wealthy so he doesn't have to work.
6. What does Jury think about Miss Hargreaves-Brown's accent?
(a) That it is very sexy.
(b) That it sounds really fake and like she's trying to impress him.
(c) That it is very annoying.
(d) That it seems out of place.
7. For how long was Helen at a very expensive school?
(a) For 6 years, just like her mother.
(b) Once she turned 16.
(c) Her whole life.
(d) Only a year or two.
8. Why does Racer yell at his secretary?
(a) She was late to work - again.
(b) He wants her to get a letter typed ASAP.
(c) She forgot to put cream in his coffee.
(d) He wants her to remove the cat from his office.
9. What does Jury admit to Helen when the first meet?
(a) That he's wanted by the police.
(b) That he's a police officer.
(c) That he is still married.
(d) That he has been watching her for a few days.
10. What does Jury think about Cyril?
(a) That she needs a new job.
(b) That he should take him home with him.
(c) That she is a very patient woman.
(d) That he would like to date her.
11. What does Jury invite Helen to do shortly after they first meet?
(a) Go out for dinner later in the week.
(b) Come shooting with him.
(c) Join him on a police ride.
(d) Go out on his yacht with him.
12. Why does Jury walk into a church when the novel first opens?
(a) He is chasing a suspect.
(b) Because he is disappointed that the pubs aren't open.
(c) He wants to go there to pray.
(d) He is getting married.
13. What does Mrs. Wasserman believe has been happening for years?
(a) She has been losing her vision.
(b) She has been going insane.
(c) She has been losing her hearing.
(d) Someone has been secretly pursuing her.
14. According to Maureen, what happened to Helen's mother?
(a) She died in childbirth.
(b) She died of a "broken heart."
(c) She drowned.
(d) She killed herself.
15. What does Cullen report about crime in Washington?
(a) That it only happens in the bad neighborhoods.
(b) That it happens all the time.
(c) That it has recently increased dramatically.
(d) That it never happens.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his first visit to the Jerusalem Inn, who does Jury learn Helen once talked to there?
2. Who is Miss Hargreaves-Brown?
3. Where was Parmenger educated?
4. How much does Helen work?
5. Where does Jury walk Helen when he first meets her?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)