|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ruthven refer to Melrose?
(a) "Your honor."
(d) "My lord."
2. What does Mrs. Wasserman believe has been happening for years?
(a) She has been losing her hearing.
(b) She has been going insane.
(c) Someone has been secretly pursuing her.
(d) She has been losing her vision.
3. According to Maureen, what happened to Helen's father?
(a) He was murdered.
(b) He ran away.
(c) He killed himself.
(d) He died in a work accident.
4. What is Helen's last name?
5. What does Helen tell Jury she does for a living?
(a) Work in a library.
(b) Work as a cleaning lady.
(c) Work in a historic home nearby.
(d) Work in a restaurant.
6. What does Jury's cousin do for a living?
(a) He is a writer.
(b) He is a business man.
(c) Nothing right now; he is unemployed.
(d) He is independently wealthy so he doesn't have to work.
7. What does Jury do back in Helen's home that he hopes will help with his investigation?
(a) Sleep there so he can "get a feel for what she was like."
(b) Dust for fingerprints.
(c) Take pictures.
(d) Take a few of her personal items.
8. How does Lady Agatha describe Melrose?
(a) As the handsomest man she's ever seen.
(b) As an "unconfirmed bachelor."
(c) As a "lying cheat."
(d) As a "arrogant jerk."
9. Who is Chief Superintendent Racer?
(a) Jury's boss.
(b) A rival cop of Jury's.
(c) A reporter.
(d) The mayor.
10. What does Jury buy for his cousin's children?
(a) Tons of stuffed animals.
(c) Gifts and shoes.
11. For approximately how long does Racer yell at Jury in Chapter 7?
(a) 60 minutes.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) 2 hours.
(d) 30 minutes.
12. Where was Parmenger educated?
13. Where does Jury go after he leaves the church when the novel opens?
(a) A car repair shop.
(b) A music shop.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A cemetery.
14. How much does Helen work?
(a) Every minute she can because she is trying to save money.
(c) Not at all.
15. Who is Father Rourke?
(a) Helen's father.
(b) A priest.
(c) Jury's dad, who always insists on being addressed formally.
(d) The mayor and founding father of the town Helen lived in.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Vivian engaged?
2. What does Helen's autopsy report confirm?
3. What is the name of the man Jury picks up on his first trip to Jerusalem Inn?
4. What does Cullen report about crime in Washington?
5. What small gift does Addie give to Jury during his visit to Bonaventure School?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)