|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jury go after he leaves the church when the novel opens?
(a) A car repair shop.
(b) A cemetery.
(c) A music shop.
(d) A restaurant.
2. What does Mrs. Wasserman believe has been happening for years?
(a) She has been going insane.
(b) She has been losing her vision.
(c) Someone has been secretly pursuing her.
(d) She has been losing her hearing.
3. What does Maureen reveal to Jury about Helen's father?
(a) That he was nobility.
(b) That he was a priest.
(c) That he supposedly was Edward's younger brother.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
4. What is Helen's last name?
5. What does Jury think about Miss Hargreaves-Brown's accent?
(a) That it sounds really fake and like she's trying to impress him.
(b) That it seems out of place.
(c) That it is very annoying.
(d) That it is very sexy.
6. What small gift does Addie give to Jury during his visit to Bonaventure School?
(a) A cracker.
(b) A jelly bean.
(c) A napkin.
(d) A sock.
7. What famous artist will be at Seaingham's home for the holidays?
8. What does Jury do back in Helen's home that he hopes will help with his investigation?
(a) Take a few of her personal items.
(b) Take pictures.
(c) Dust for fingerprints.
(d) Sleep there so he can "get a feel for what she was like."
9. What did Helen's supposed father do with the family business dealings?
(b) "Cook the books," according to Maureen.
(c) Save the family from bankruptcy.
(d) Sell the business out from under everyone.
10. What does Cullen agree to do once he receives the autopsy reports about Helen?
(a) Release incorrect information to the media about how Helen died.
(b) Keep them secret.
(c) Release them to the media.
(d) Notify Jury.
11. Who has painted the pointed that Jury finds in Helen's house?
(c) A local artist who does not seem very good.
(d) Helen herself.
12. Where was Parmenger educated?
13. Who is Mrs. Wasserman?
(a) Jury's elderly auntie.
(b) Jury's neighbor.
(c) Jury's much-older sister.
(d) Jury's elderly grandmother.
14. Where does Racer work?
(a) The London FBI.
(b) No where; he is a private investigator.
(c) The London CIA office.
(d) Scotland Yard.
15. What does Cullen report about crime in Washington?
(a) That it never happens.
(b) That it happens all the time.
(c) That it only happens in the bad neighborhoods.
(d) That it has recently increased dramatically.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ruthven?
2. Who is Chief Superintendent Racer?
3. How is Vivian described physically?
4. How did Helen keep her house?
5. Where does Jury walk Helen when he first meets her?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)