|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who discovered Helen's body?
(b) No one; it is never found.
2. What does Jury admit to Helen when the first meet?
(a) That he's a police officer.
(b) That he is still married.
(c) That he has been watching her for a few days.
(d) That he's wanted by the police.
3. How much does Helen work?
(c) Every minute she can because she is trying to save money.
(d) Not at all.
4. How did Helen keep her house?
(a) Very messy.
(b) Very strange -- some rooms are messy, some are neat.
(c) Very neat.
(d) Very dark; all of the windows were covered.
5. What does Helen tell Jury she does for a living?
(a) Work in a historic home nearby.
(b) Work in a restaurant.
(c) Work in a library.
(d) Work as a cleaning lady.
6. Who is Father Rourke?
(a) The mayor and founding father of the town Helen lived in.
(b) A priest.
(c) Jury's dad, who always insists on being addressed formally.
(d) Helen's father.
7. What does Jury say to Miss Hargreaves-Brown's accent?
(a) That it sounds fake.
(b) That he hates it.
(c) That he likes it.
8. Who has Seaingham invited to his home in the novel?
(a) Some of the best detective minds he knows.
(b) Family only.
(c) Several writers and painters.
(d) No one; he is a recluse.
9. What does Jury finally realize Maureen hates talking about?
(a) Her own family history.
(b) The dead in general.
(c) Her beloved Helen.
(d) Romantic relationships.
10. Who has painted the pointed that Jury finds in Helen's house?
(a) Helen herself.
(d) A local artist who does not seem very good.
11. What does Cullen cite as one of the more exciting crime activities that happened recently?
(a) A gang of local men roaring their motorcycles too loudly.
(b) The mafia demanding money from local business owners.
(c) The theft of a tree planted by Jimmy Carter.
(d) Teenage boys going around at night slashing tires.
12. Who is Maureen Littleton?
(a) Helen's housekeeper.
(b) Helen's neighbor.
(c) Helen's sister.
(d) A young woman Helen employed to help with finances.
13. What does Racer tell Jury about his request for a search warrant for Helen's home?
(a) That if he does request it, he'll be fired.
(b) That it's his choice if he wants to request it.
(c) That he should go ahead and request it.
(d) That he should probably not request it.
14. How does Helen treat her medical condition?
(a) With accupressure.
(b) With herbs and teas.
(c) With chemotherapy.
(d) With medicine.
15. How does Helen seem when Jury first finds her?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Helen's body found?
2. What has Melrose done with his title?
3. How does Ruthven refer to Melrose?
4. Where does Jury go after he leaves the church when the novel opens?
5. How does Lady Agatha describe Melrose?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)