|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Nellie Pond?
(a) The woman Helen rented her house from.
(b) A librarian who once lived next door to Helen.
(c) A good friend of Helen.
(d) The woman Helen rented her house to.
2. Who is Father Rourke?
(a) The mayor and founding father of the town Helen lived in.
(b) A priest.
(c) Helen's father.
(d) Jury's dad, who always insists on being addressed formally.
3. Who has Seaingham invited to his home in the novel?
(a) Family only.
(b) Some of the best detective minds he knows.
(c) No one; he is a recluse.
(d) Several writers and painters.
4. Why does Racer yell at his secretary?
(a) She forgot to put cream in his coffee.
(b) She was late to work - again.
(c) He wants her to remove the cat from his office.
(d) He wants her to get a letter typed ASAP.
5. What are the only things that get Mrs. Wasserman out of her house?
(a) Phone calls.
(b) Trips to the store.
(c) Fires and floods.
(d) Trick-or-treaters at Halloween.
6. What does Jury believe to be the source of Mrs. Wasserman's anxiety?
(a) Something that happened in the Korean War.
(b) Something that happened in World War I.
(c) Something that happened in World War II.
(d) Something that happened in the Vietnam War.
7. How does Helen treat her medical condition?
(a) With accupressure.
(b) With herbs and teas.
(c) With chemotherapy.
(d) With medicine.
8. Who is Charles Seaingham?
(a) A very famous professor.
(b) A very famous inspector.
(c) A critic of the arts.
(d) A very famous inventor.
9. What has Melrose done with his title?
(a) Had it revoked.
(b) Passed it along to a younger cousin.
(c) Given it up.
(d) Sold it to someone else.
10. Who is Miss Hargreaves-Brown?
(a) The headmistress of Bonaventure School.
(b) The janitor at Bonaventure School.
(c) The school nurse at Bonaventure School.
(d) A teacher at Bonaventure School.
11. Who is Ruthven?
(a) Melrose's brother.
(b) Melrose's assistant.
(c) A man whose life Melrose saved once.
(d) Melrose's son.
12. How does Helen seem when Jury first finds her?
13. What holiday season is approaching in the novel?
(b) The Thanksgiving season.
(c) Summer Solstice.
(d) The Christmas season.
14. Where is Helen's body found?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) In her car in the garage.
(c) On her bed.
(d) On the front porch.
15. What does Jury think about Miss Hargreaves-Brown's accent?
(a) That it is very annoying.
(b) That it is very sexy.
(c) That it seems out of place.
(d) That it sounds really fake and like she's trying to impress him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jury do back in Helen's home that he hopes will help with his investigation?
2. Who is Chief Superintendent Racer?
3. What does Jury finally realize Maureen hates talking about?
4. Where was Parmenger educated?
5. What does Jury admit to Helen when the first meet?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)