|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ruthven refer to Melrose?
(c) "My lord."
(d) "Your honor."
2. For how long was Helen at a very expensive school?
(a) Her whole life.
(b) Only a year or two.
(c) Once she turned 16.
(d) For 6 years, just like her mother.
3. Why does Racer yell at his secretary?
(a) She was late to work - again.
(b) He wants her to remove the cat from his office.
(c) She forgot to put cream in his coffee.
(d) He wants her to get a letter typed ASAP.
4. What does Racer tell Jury about his request for a search warrant for Helen's home?
(a) That it's his choice if he wants to request it.
(b) That if he does request it, he'll be fired.
(c) That he should go ahead and request it.
(d) That he should probably not request it.
5. What does Maureen reveal to Jury about Helen's father?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) That he supposedly was Edward's younger brother.
(c) That he was a priest.
(d) That he was nobility.
6. Why does Jury walk into a church when the novel first opens?
(a) He is getting married.
(b) He is chasing a suspect.
(c) Because he is disappointed that the pubs aren't open.
(d) He wants to go there to pray.
7. What does Mrs. Wasserman believe has been happening for years?
(a) She has been losing her vision.
(b) She has been losing her hearing.
(c) She has been going insane.
(d) Someone has been secretly pursuing her.
8. What does Jury think about Cyril?
(a) That he should take him home with him.
(b) That she is a very patient woman.
(c) That she needs a new job.
(d) That he would like to date her.
9. What does Jury invite Helen to do shortly after they first meet?
(a) Join him on a police ride.
(b) Go out for dinner later in the week.
(c) Come shooting with him.
(d) Go out on his yacht with him.
10. Who is Miss Hargreaves-Brown?
(a) The school nurse at Bonaventure School.
(b) The janitor at Bonaventure School.
(c) The headmistress of Bonaventure School.
(d) A teacher at Bonaventure School.
11. Who is Chief Superintendent Racer?
(a) The mayor.
(b) Jury's boss.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A rival cop of Jury's.
12. How does Helen treat her medical condition?
(a) With medicine.
(b) With chemotherapy.
(c) With accupressure.
(d) With herbs and teas.
13. During his first visit to the Jerusalem Inn, who does Jury learn Helen once talked to there?
(a) Robbie Lyte.
(b) A scary man no one knew.
(d) Another woman.
14. What does Jury think about Miss Hargreaves-Brown's accent?
(a) That it sounds really fake and like she's trying to impress him.
(b) That it is very annoying.
(c) That it is very sexy.
(d) That it seems out of place.
15. Who has Seaingham invited to his home in the novel?
(a) Several writers and painters.
(b) Some of the best detective minds he knows.
(c) Family only.
(d) No one; he is a recluse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Melrose done with his title?
2. What famous artist will be at Seaingham's home for the holidays?
3. Who is Maureen Littleton?
4. What kind of medical condition does Helen have?
5. Where does Jury go after he leaves the church when the novel opens?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)