|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nickles' being unable to find his mask represents the helplessness of humans when we are not able to use God for what?
2. After arguing about the value of suffering, what does Nickles challenge Zuss to do?
3. Right before the Distant Voice quotes God's lines from the Bible, what problem is Nickles having with his mask?
4. One of the women watching J.B. says that she has had a dream about the queen of what country?
5. Scene 7 echoes the scene in the biblical story of Job, in which God points out that Job has done exactly as he _______.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author write this play in verse? Why does the author use poetic tools to direct the audience's attention? Use specific examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Zuss and Nickles' positions on God, suffering, and faith. Cite specific examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
In this play, what is the relationship between faith and fear? Cite specific examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)