|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zuss says that ______ will enable J.B. to see God more clearly.
2. When Zuss and Nickles are arguing about the role of suffering in J.B.'s life, they are ______ to the story of Job in the Bible.
3. Nickles says that the real reason for suffering is to learn that everything ends in what?
4. What word characterizes Zuss' and Nickles' thoughts about J.B.'s acting abilities?
5. How many meanings does an allegorical story have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Zuss?
2. What is Zophar's argument about why J.B. is guilty?
3. What do J.B. and Sarah feel, even when they sleep?
4. How does Sarah suggest that she and J.B. see into the darkness on the other side of the door?
5. What does the debate over whether J.B. knows he is an actor suggest?
6. What does the use of shabby costumes on the Three Comforters suggest?
7. Sarah and J.B. are arguing over what subject at Thanksgiving?
8. Why is Nickles complaining in the beginning of Scene 8?
9. How is J.B. and Sarah's youngest daughter killed?
10. What thematic statement is made by the actions in Scene 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether the existence of God is beyond debate for the characters. Compare and contrast at least three different character's views on the issue, and use examples from the play to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of costumes in the play? How do the costumes contribute to the characters and the message of the play? Use specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the play to support your answer, respond to the following question: What is ironic about Satan's argument that God needs to see people as people and not toys? How does this argument relate to the central theme of the play?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)