|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word characterizes Zuss' and Nickles' thoughts about J.B.'s acting abilities?
2. What are Zuss and Nickles holding while they watch Sarah and J.B. realize their son is dead?
3. What does Mr. Zuss sell?
4. When Sarah and J.B. invite the soldiers into the house, where do they go to sit and talk?
5. At the end of the Prologue, what holiday is J.B. shown at?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does J.B. view his luck at his Thanksgiving dinner?
2. How would you, as a reader, sum up the whole of Scene 10?
3. What is Sarah holding in her hand when she returns to J.B., and why?
4. Why do Sarah and J.B. let the drunken soldiers into their home?
5. How does Scene 2 reinforce the idea that this play, and the biblical story, are allegories?
6. How is J.B. and Sarah's youngest daughter killed?
7. How does Sarah compare J.B. and the children's views of blessings?
8. How do the states of faith and fear represent the traditional state of mankind?
9. What does Nickles think would make a difference in J.B.'s performance of Job?
10. Why are Zuss and Nickles unable to put on their masks in Scene 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the play to support your answer, explain what the allegory is that this play presents.
Essay Topic 2
What is the challenge the Distant Voice presents to J.B. and the other characters? How is the challenge related to the theme of the play? Cite specific examples to support your answer to this question.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the play to support your answer, respond to the following question: What is ironic about Satan's argument that God needs to see people as people and not toys? How does this argument relate to the central theme of the play?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)