|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There are two traditional aspects of man's relationship with God as portrayed in the story. The first is ______ in God's love.
2. The argument of the play is that the only way to live and transcend suffering is through what?
3. What is the modern day religion closest to existentialism?
4. What does Nickles want to do when he climbs down the ladder?
5. How does Mr. Nickles describe Job's situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nickles believe that J.B. has to suffer?
2. What do the blossoms on Sarah's twig at the end of the play represent?
3. What does Nickles think about Zuss' line, "His will, our peace?"
4. What does Nickles think would make a difference in J.B.'s performance of Job?
5. Why, in Scene 7, is Nickles angry at J.B.'s experiences?
6. How does J.B. view his luck at his Thanksgiving dinner?
7. Why do Sarah and J.B. let the drunken soldiers into their home?
8. How is J.B. and Sarah's youngest daughter killed?
9. What do the group of women and the young girl do when they first arrive on the stage?
10. How do the young girl and women describe the Three Comforters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of costumes in the play? How do the costumes contribute to the characters and the message of the play? Use specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, compare and contrast J.B. and Sarah's beliefs about God.
Essay Topic 3
Who are the Three Comforters and what viewpoints do they represent? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)