|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. J.B. sings a song that says, "To be, become, and end are all _____."
2. At the end of Scene 2, after Zuss and Nickles quote lines, the lights change and the audience is taken where?
3. How does Mr. Nickles describe Job's situation?
4. Sarah lives her life indulging in blaming rage and what?
5. At the end of the Prologue, what holiday is J.B. shown at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zuss think that nothing would influence the way J.B. acts, and that certainly being poor will not influence him?
2. What is Sarah suggesting when she says that they "blow on the coal of the heart?"
3. Sarah and J.B. are arguing over what subject at Thanksgiving?
4. What do the blossoms on Sarah's twig at the end of the play represent?
5. Why does Nickles think that God is laughing at Job?
6. What is the story of Job about?
7. Who is Mr. Nickles?
8. When Sarah suggests that there will be enough light to live by, and understand by, what is she suggesting about faith?
9. In Scene 2, what does Zuss wonder about J.B.'s acting?
10. Why does Nickles believe that J.B. has to suffer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of light and stars in the play? What do they symbolize? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of flowers in this play? What is their symbolic meaning? Use the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using specific examples from the play, explain the significance of the ladder that Zuss and Nickles climb during the play.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)