|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah lives her life indulging in blaming rage and what?
2. Mr. Zuss says that evil is never ______.
3. Allegory is a form of extended ______.
4. How long does it take for J.B. and Sarah to call the police about their missing daughter?
5. Existentialism says that the sum total of existence is what human beings _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Sarah returns to J.B., what does she tell him is the reason she left him?
2. Why does Nickles say that J.B. would never be willing to take his life back?
3. What do the blossoms on Sarah's twig at the end of the play represent?
4. What do the group of women and the young girl do when they first arrive on the stage?
5. When J.B. and Sarah try to figure out why they had children killed by a drunk driver, what does J.B. say to answer Sarah's question of why God did this to them?
6. What is Sarah holding in her hand when she returns to J.B., and why?
7. What does Nickles think about Zuss' line, "His will, our peace?"
8. Why do Sarah and J.B. let the drunken soldiers into their home?
9. Why does J.B. tell Sarah not to ask each child if they thanked God?
10. What does placing the conflict of faith and fear in the relationship of a husband and wife suggest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the Three Comforters and what viewpoints do they represent? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Sarah leave J.B.? What does her departure represent? Cite specific examples from the play to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Using specific examples to support your answer, answer the following question: What is the argument and circumstances that cause Zuss to lose his temper? What does Zuss' loss of temper have to do with Nickles' loss of temper?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)