|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After coming down from their platform, how do Nickles and Zuss return to their platform?
2. The soldier mentions doing the best they could for David, but says that they didn't have the right length of _________.
3. The Messengers bring Sarah into the house, dirty and bruised. Where has she been?
4. Sarah represents what side of belief in God?
5. The lesson of the allegory that this play represents is that we can face whatever happens with acceptance and grace. Which character represents this viewpoint?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of Job about?
2. What is similar about the argument at the end of Scene 7 between Zuss and Nickles to other arguments in the play?
3. What do J.B. and Sarah feel, even when they sleep?
4. Why is Nickles complaining in the beginning of Scene 8?
5. When J.B. prays to God for death, what is Sarah's response?
6. When Sarah suggests that there will be enough light to live by, and understand by, what is she suggesting about faith?
7. Why does Nickles think that God is laughing at Job?
8. Why do Sarah and J.B. let the drunken soldiers into their home?
9. What is the conflict that J.B. and Sarah represent?
10. How do the young girl and women describe the Three Comforters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this play, what is the relationship between faith and fear? Cite specific examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples from the play, explain the significance of the ladder that Zuss and Nickles climb during the play.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Zuss and Nickles' positions on God, suffering, and faith. Cite specific examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)