|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nickles want to do when he climbs down the ladder?
2. Mr. Nickles and Mr. Zuss, in the Prologue, describe the stage as what?
3. When Zuss and Nickles are arguing about the role of suffering in J.B.'s life, they are ______ to the story of Job in the Bible.
4. J.B. says that when he was a kid, the light of ______ was the light of God.
5. The text of the play is written in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Scene 2, what does Zuss wonder about J.B.'s acting?
2. How would you, as a reader, sum up the whole of Scene 10?
3. What is Zophar's argument about why J.B. is guilty?
4. Why do Sarah and J.B. let the drunken soldiers into their home?
5. Why does Nickles think that God is laughing at Job?
6. What is Sarah suggesting when she says that they "blow on the coal of the heart?"
7. When J.B. says that he called God, not the Three Comforters, what is their answer?
8. What is an allegory?
9. When J.B. and Sarah try to figure out why they had children killed by a drunk driver, what does J.B. say to answer Sarah's question of why God did this to them?
10. What does Nickles think would make a difference in J.B.'s performance of Job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples to support your answer, discuss how the different characters handle, and believe in, suffering. Compare and contrast at least three different characters.
Essay Topic 2
In this play, what is the relationship between faith and fear? Cite specific examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of costumes in the play? How do the costumes contribute to the characters and the message of the play? Use specific examples to support your answer.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)