|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When J.B. and Sarah are arguing over whether God's blessings are earned or simply given, what happens to interrupt them?
2. In the Prologue, man is compared to a wingless, sightless insect that does what?
3. Sarah compares their children to J.B., saying that they both show gratitude the way a woman does what?
4. The second traditional aspect of man's relationship with God is fear of His _________.
5. According to the allegory this play represents, human life is lived according to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Zuss and Nickles unable to put on their masks in Scene 7?
2. How is J.B. and Sarah's youngest daughter killed?
3. When J.B. says that he called God, not the Three Comforters, what is their answer?
4. Who is Mr. Zuss?
5. What does placing the conflict of faith and fear in the relationship of a husband and wife suggest?
6. What is the story of Job about?
7. How does Nickles refer to God?
8. What does the use of shabby costumes on the Three Comforters suggest?
9. Why does Nickles think that God is laughing at Job?
10. Why does J.B. want to know why he is being punished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether the existence of God is beyond debate for the characters. Compare and contrast at least three different character's views on the issue, and use examples from the play to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the play to support your answer, respond to the following question: What is ironic about Satan's argument that God needs to see people as people and not toys? How does this argument relate to the central theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the play to support your answer, explain what the allegory is that this play presents.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)