|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah says that if they forget God, God will do what?
2. Where does Sarah believe that blessings come from?
3. How many of J.B.'s children are in a car that is hit by a drunk driver?
4. The second traditional aspect of man's relationship with God is fear of His _________.
5. This play, and the story of Job, are allegories for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conflict that J.B. and Sarah represent?
2. Why, in Scene 7, is Nickles angry at J.B.'s experiences?
3. What does the use of shabby costumes on the Three Comforters suggest?
4. When J.B. and Sarah try to figure out why they had children killed by a drunk driver, what does J.B. say to answer Sarah's question of why God did this to them?
5. How does J.B. view his luck at his Thanksgiving dinner?
6. What does Zuss tell Nickles that there is left to complete in the story, when Nickles says that there couldn't possibly be more?
7. What is the story of Job about?
8. What does Zuss do when he declares he's sick of the whole business?
9. At the end of Scene 2, what do Zuss and Nickles do?
10. What do J.B. and Sarah feel, even when they sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the Three Comforters and what viewpoints do they represent? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author write this play in verse? Why does the author use poetic tools to direct the audience's attention? Use specific examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What role do masks have in the play? What do they symbolize, and what is the importance of taking them on and off? Use examples from the play to support your answers.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)