|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Zuss and Nickles holding while they watch Sarah and J.B. realize their son is dead?
2. When Nickles and Zuss are saying their lines, who says God's first line?
3. According to Mr. Zuss, why does Job not have a right to question God?
4. What does Mr. Nickles sell?
5. Sarah tells them that David's ______ are probably much dirtier than theirs.
Short Essay Questions
1. When J.B. and Sarah try to figure out why they had children killed by a drunk driver, what does J.B. say to answer Sarah's question of why God did this to them?
2. How does J.B. view his luck at his Thanksgiving dinner?
3. What is Zophar's argument about why J.B. is guilty?
4. When Zuss says that it is indecent to laugh at God, what does Nickles say?
5. What does Zuss tell Nickles that there is left to complete in the story, when Nickles says that there couldn't possibly be more?
6. Why does Zuss think that nothing would influence the way J.B. acts, and that certainly being poor will not influence him?
7. What is similar about the argument at the end of Scene 7 between Zuss and Nickles to other arguments in the play?
8. What does Zuss do when he declares he's sick of the whole business?
9. How do the soldiers suggest that David is dead?
10. What is the story of Job about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples to support your answer, answer the following question: What is the argument and circumstances that cause Zuss to lose his temper? What does Zuss' loss of temper have to do with Nickles' loss of temper?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance, or the symbolism, of having the play set in a circus tent? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is the challenge the Distant Voice presents to J.B. and the other characters? How is the challenge related to the theme of the play? Cite specific examples to support your answer to this question.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)