|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The text of the play is written in what?
2. What does Mr. Nickles sell?
3. In the Prologue, man is compared to a wingless, sightless insect that does what?
4. There are two traditional aspects of man's relationship with God as portrayed in the story. The first is ______ in God's love.
5. What does Sarah want the children, at dinner, to do more thoroughly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nickles think would make a difference in J.B.'s performance of Job?
2. What is the role of the First and Second Messenger?
3. How does Sarah compare J.B. and the children's views of blessings?
4. How does J.B. view his luck at his Thanksgiving dinner?
5. What is Zophar's argument about why J.B. is guilty?
6. When Nickles says that Zuss should look pleased because J.B. is playing the role Zuss wanted him to, what is Zuss' response?
7. How do the young girl and women describe the Three Comforters?
8. When Sarah suggests that there will be enough light to live by, and understand by, what is she suggesting about faith?
9. Why does Nickles say that J.B. would never be willing to take his life back?
10. When the maids bring out the food, what do the children and J.B. say?
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of light and stars in the play? What do they symbolize? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples from the play, explain the significance of the ladder that Zuss and Nickles climb during the play.
Essay Topic 3
Who are the Three Comforters and what viewpoints do they represent? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)