|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the First Messenger do when the Second Messenger tells J.B. and Sarah that their children are dead because of a drunk driver?
2. When Zuss and Nickles put their masks on at the end of Scene 2, what do they recite?
3. Nickles and Zuss are what type of characters?
4. Why do J.B. and Sarah wait to call the police?
5. After Sarah sings her song, the children ask J.B. to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conflict that J.B. and Sarah represent?
2. What do the blossoms on Sarah's twig at the end of the play represent?
3. What do J.B. and Sarah feel, even when they sleep?
4. What does Bildad say about J.B.'s claim of innocence?
5. Why does J.B. want to know why he is being punished?
6. What is the role of the First and Second Messenger?
7. What is Zuss' answer to why J.B. has to suffer?
8. Why does Nickles believe that J.B. has to suffer?
9. At the end of Scene 2, what do Zuss and Nickles do?
10. How do the soldiers suggest that David is dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this play, what is the relationship between faith and fear? Cite specific examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples from the play, explain the significance of the ladder that Zuss and Nickles climb during the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of costumes in the play? How do the costumes contribute to the characters and the message of the play? Use specific examples to support your answer.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)