|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nickles want to do when he climbs down the ladder?
2. Existentialism says that the sum total of existence is what human beings _______.
3. Existentialism says that life is mainly full of what?
4. Whose story do Mr. Nickles and Mr. Zuss portray on the stage?
5. What kind of mask is Mr. Nickles supposed to wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nickles think about Zuss' line, "His will, our peace?"
2. At the end of Scene 2, what do Zuss and Nickles do?
3. Why does Sarah protest J.B.'s thoughts that God doesn't punish without cause?
4. What does Zuss tell Nickles that there is left to complete in the story, when Nickles says that there couldn't possibly be more?
5. In Scene 2, what does Zuss wonder about J.B.'s acting?
6. When J.B. and Sarah try to figure out why they had children killed by a drunk driver, what does J.B. say to answer Sarah's question of why God did this to them?
7. Sarah and J.B. are arguing over what subject at Thanksgiving?
8. What is Sarah suggesting when she says that they "blow on the coal of the heart?"
9. How does J.B. view his luck at his Thanksgiving dinner?
10. When Zuss says that it is indecent to laugh at God, what does Nickles say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples to support your answer, answer the following question: What is the argument and circumstances that cause Zuss to lose his temper? What does Zuss' loss of temper have to do with Nickles' loss of temper?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the play to support your answer, respond to the following question: What is ironic about Satan's argument that God needs to see people as people and not toys? How does this argument relate to the central theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
What role do masks have in the play? What do they symbolize, and what is the importance of taking them on and off? Use examples from the play to support your answers.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)