Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Existentialism says that the sum total of existence is what human beings _______.
2. What color are the uniforms of the concession vendors?
3. What does the First Messenger do when the Second Messenger tells J.B. and Sarah that their children are dead because of a drunk driver?
4. Who is the Distant Voice meant to represent?
5. How many meanings does an allegorical story have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the soldiers suggest that David is dead?
2. What do Zuss and Nickles become instruments of at the end of Scene 7?
3. Why does Zuss think that nothing would influence the way J.B. acts, and that certainly being poor will not influence him?
4. What does Bildad say about J.B.'s claim of innocence?
5. How does Scene 2 reinforce the idea that this play, and the biblical story, are allegories?
6. In Scene 2, what does Zuss wonder about J.B.'s acting?
7. What is the conflict that J.B. and Sarah represent?
8. When the maids bring out the food, what do the children and J.B. say?
9. How does J.B. view his luck at his Thanksgiving dinner?
10. When Zuss says that it is indecent to laugh at God, what does Nickles say?
What is the importance, or the symbolism, of having the play set in a circus tent? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Why does the author write this play in verse? Why does the author use poetic tools to direct the audience's attention? Use specific examples from the play to support your answer.
Discuss whether the existence of God is beyond debate for the characters. Compare and contrast at least three different character's views on the issue, and use examples from the play to support your answers.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)