|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Nickles and Zuss have their masks on, where do they quote lines from?
2. When Mr. Zuss says that the world is a great place, what does Mr. Nickles say it is?
3. When Zuss and Nickles are arguing about the role of suffering in J.B.'s life, they are ______ to the story of Job in the Bible.
4. When Sarah and J.B. invite the soldiers into the house, where do they go to sit and talk?
5. At the end of Scene 2, after Zuss and Nickles quote lines, the lights change and the audience is taken where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sarah holding in her hand when she returns to J.B., and why?
2. Why does Zuss think that nothing would influence the way J.B. acts, and that certainly being poor will not influence him?
3. When Zuss says that it is indecent to laugh at God, what does Nickles say?
4. When Nickles says that Zuss should look pleased because J.B. is playing the role Zuss wanted him to, what is Zuss' response?
5. What thematic statement is made by the actions in Scene 10?
6. Who is Mr. Zuss?
7. What does the use of shabby costumes on the Three Comforters suggest?
8. What does Nickles' inability to find his mask represent?
9. What is the story of Job about?
10. How does Sarah suggest that she and J.B. see into the darkness on the other side of the door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do masks have in the play? What do they symbolize, and what is the importance of taking them on and off? Use examples from the play to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance, or the symbolism, of having the play set in a circus tent? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether the existence of God is beyond debate for the characters. Compare and contrast at least three different character's views on the issue, and use examples from the play to support your answers.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)