|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nickles says that the real reason for suffering is to learn that everything ends in what?
2. How does Mr. Nickles describe Job's situation?
3. The name "Zuss" resembles what god from Ancient Greece?
4. What does Nickles want to do when he climbs down the ladder?
5. Mr. Nickles and Mr. Zuss, in the Prologue, say that the audience is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sarah suggesting when she says that they "blow on the coal of the heart?"
2. Why are Zuss and Nickles unable to put on their masks in Scene 7?
3. What do the group of women and the young girl do when they first arrive on the stage?
4. Why does Zuss think that nothing would influence the way J.B. acts, and that certainly being poor will not influence him?
5. Why does Sarah protest J.B.'s thoughts that God doesn't punish without cause?
6. What does Zuss tell Nickles that there is left to complete in the story, when Nickles says that there couldn't possibly be more?
7. What does the debate over whether J.B. knows he is an actor suggest?
8. Why, in Scene 7, is Nickles angry at J.B.'s experiences?
9. Who is Mr. Zuss?
10. What is the role of the First and Second Messenger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the challenge the Distant Voice presents to J.B. and the other characters? How is the challenge related to the theme of the play? Cite specific examples to support your answer to this question.
Essay Topic 2
In this play, what is the relationship between faith and fear? Cite specific examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of light and stars in the play? What do they symbolize? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)