|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Scene 2, what do Zuss and Nickles remove?
2. To Zuss and Nickles, J.B. is playing a role in deciding the argument between what two entities?
3. What color are the uniforms of the concession vendors?
4. Sarah tells them that David's ______ are probably much dirtier than theirs.
5. At the end of the Prologue, what holiday is J.B. shown at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the debate over whether J.B. knows he is an actor suggest?
2. What is Sarah holding in her hand when she returns to J.B., and why?
3. Describe the Satan-mask and the God-mask.
4. Sarah and J.B. are arguing over what subject at Thanksgiving?
5. How does Nickles refer to God?
6. Why does Zuss think that nothing would influence the way J.B. acts, and that certainly being poor will not influence him?
7. What does Zuss do when he declares he's sick of the whole business?
8. Why does J.B. want to know why he is being punished?
9. What do the group of women and the young girl do when they first arrive on the stage?
10. Why does Nickles think that God is laughing at Job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this play, what is the relationship between faith and fear? Cite specific examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples to support your answer, discuss how the different characters handle, and believe in, suffering. Compare and contrast at least three different characters.
Essay Topic 3
What is the challenge the Distant Voice presents to J.B. and the other characters? How is the challenge related to the theme of the play? Cite specific examples to support your answer to this question.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)