|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Zuss and Nickles are arguing about the role of suffering in J.B.'s life, they are ______ to the story of Job in the Bible.
2. Sarah represents what side of belief in God?
3. Nickles says that J.B. would play his role differently if he were what?
4. When the lights fade at the end of Scene 1, what shadows are left on the ceiling of the tent?
5. Once Nickles and Zuss have their masks on, where do they quote lines from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the states of faith and fear represent the traditional state of mankind?
2. What does placing the conflict of faith and fear in the relationship of a husband and wife suggest?
3. What is the story of Job about?
4. How does J.B. view his luck at his Thanksgiving dinner?
5. Why does Sarah protest J.B.'s thoughts that God doesn't punish without cause?
6. When J.B. prays to God for death, what is Sarah's response?
7. What are Sarah and J.B.'s reactions to the death of David?
8. Who is Zophar?
9. Why does J.B. want to know why he is being punished?
10. What do the group of women and the young girl do when they first arrive on the stage?
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of flowers in this play? What is their symbolic meaning? Use the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples from the play, explain the significance of the ladder that Zuss and Nickles climb during the play.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Sarah leave J.B.? What does her departure represent? Cite specific examples from the play to support your answers.
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)