|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This play, and the story of Job, are allegories for what?
2. Nickles and Zuss are what type of characters?
3. At the end of the Prologue, what holiday is J.B. shown at?
4. After Sarah sings her song, the children ask J.B. to do what?
5. J.B. refers to the regularity of morning and spring to show that God can be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thematic statement is made by the actions in Scene 10?
2. What is Zuss' answer to why J.B. has to suffer?
3. Why does J.B. want to know why he is being punished?
4. What are Sarah and J.B.'s reactions to the death of David?
5. What does Nickles think about Zuss' line, "His will, our peace?"
6. When Sarah suggests that there will be enough light to live by, and understand by, what is she suggesting about faith?
7. In Scene 2, what does Zuss wonder about J.B.'s acting?
8. Why does Nickles believe that J.B. has to suffer?
9. At the end of Scene 2, what do Zuss and Nickles do?
10. What do the group of women and the young girl do when they first arrive on the stage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance, or the symbolism, of having the play set in a circus tent? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of costumes in the play? How do the costumes contribute to the characters and the message of the play? Use specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What role do masks have in the play? What do they symbolize, and what is the importance of taking them on and off? Use examples from the play to support your answers.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)