|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah sings a song to the children that wonders what?
2. Sarah tells them that David's ______ are probably much dirtier than theirs.
3. According to the allegory this play represents, human life is lived according to what?
4. When Mr. Zuss climbs the ladder, what kind of mask does he find?
5. How many meanings does an allegorical story have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sarah holding in her hand when she returns to J.B., and why?
2. What does Nickles' inability to find his mask represent?
3. How does Nickles refer to God?
4. What are Sarah and J.B.'s reactions to the death of David?
5. Why does Nickles think that God is laughing at Job?
6. Why is Nickles complaining in the beginning of Scene 8?
7. What is similar about the argument at the end of Scene 7 between Zuss and Nickles to other arguments in the play?
8. Describe the Satan-mask and the God-mask.
9. Why does Nickles believe that J.B. has to suffer?
10. How does Sarah suggest that she and J.B. see into the darkness on the other side of the door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Sarah leave J.B.? What does her departure represent? Cite specific examples from the play to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, compare and contrast J.B. and Sarah's beliefs about God.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the play to support your answer, explain what the allegory is that this play presents.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)