|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Distant Voice meant to represent?
2. At the beginning of Scene 2, what do Zuss and Nickles remove?
3. What does the First Messenger do when the Second Messenger tells J.B. and Sarah that their children are dead because of a drunk driver?
4. When the lights fade at the end of Scene 1, what shadows are left on the ceiling of the tent?
5. J.B. represents what side of belief in God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zuss do when he declares he's sick of the whole business?
2. What is the conflict that J.B. and Sarah represent?
3. What thematic statement is made by the actions in Scene 10?
4. What do the blossoms on Sarah's twig at the end of the play represent?
5. What does Nickles think would make a difference in J.B.'s performance of Job?
6. What is an allegory?
7. What is the story of Job about?
8. How do the soldiers suggest that David is dead?
9. Why does Zuss think that nothing would influence the way J.B. acts, and that certainly being poor will not influence him?
10. How does J.B. view his luck at his Thanksgiving dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether the existence of God is beyond debate for the characters. Compare and contrast at least three different character's views on the issue, and use examples from the play to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of costumes in the play? How do the costumes contribute to the characters and the message of the play? Use specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the play to support your answer, explain what the allegory is that this play presents.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)