|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sarah believe that blessings come from?
2. Sarah says that you cannot take God's blessings as a gift, but that God is owed _______ in return.
3. What does existentialism say about God?
4. When Zuss and Nickles put their masks on at the end of Scene 2, what do they recite?
5. How many meanings does an allegorical story have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you, as a reader, sum up the whole of Scene 10?
2. Why does J.B. want to know why he is being punished?
3. Why, in Scene 7, is Nickles angry at J.B.'s experiences?
4. In Scene 2, what does Zuss wonder about J.B.'s acting?
5. Who is Mr. Zuss?
6. What does Nickles think about Zuss' line, "His will, our peace?"
7. Why does J.B. tell Sarah not to ask each child if they thanked God?
8. What is an allegory?
9. Why does Nickles believe that J.B. has to suffer?
10. Who is Mr. Nickles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this play, what is the relationship between faith and fear? Cite specific examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance, or the symbolism, of having the play set in a circus tent? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using specific examples to support your answer, answer the following question: What is the argument and circumstances that cause Zuss to lose his temper? What does Zuss' loss of temper have to do with Nickles' loss of temper?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)