|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Nickles and Zuss have their masks on, where do they quote lines from?
2. J.B.'s song at the end of Scene 1represents what?
3. Nickles says that the real reason for suffering is to learn that everything ends in what?
4. What does Mr. Zuss sell?
5. What color are the uniforms of the concession vendors?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does J.B. view his luck at his Thanksgiving dinner?
2. What do the blossoms on Sarah's twig at the end of the play represent?
3. Why does Sarah protest J.B.'s thoughts that God doesn't punish without cause?
4. Why do Sarah and J.B. let the drunken soldiers into their home?
5. What does Zuss tell Nickles that there is left to complete in the story, when Nickles says that there couldn't possibly be more?
6. Why does Zuss think that nothing would influence the way J.B. acts, and that certainly being poor will not influence him?
7. When Sarah returns to J.B., what does she tell him is the reason she left him?
8. Who is Zophar?
9. What is an allegory?
10. When J.B. prays to God for death, what is Sarah's response?
Essay Topic 1
Does Nickles find humans more worthy of admiration than God? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance, or the symbolism, of having the play set in a circus tent? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Who are the Three Comforters and what viewpoints do they represent? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)