|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sarah sings a song to the children that wonders what?
(a) Where the days go when they're over.
(b) Where wishes go once they are wished.
(c) Where the sun goes when it goes down.
(d) Where prayers go when they are made.
2. J.B. sings a song that says, "To be, become, and end are all _____."
3. Zuss says that ______ will enable J.B. to see God more clearly.
4. How many maids wait near the table that J.B. and his family are sitting at?
5. What does Sarah want the children, at dinner, to do more thoroughly?
(a) Fear God.
(b) Thank God.
(c) Praise God.
(d) Love God.
Short Answer Questions
1. The lesson of the allegory that this play represents is that we can face whatever happens with acceptance and grace. Which character represents this viewpoint?
2. Where is the story of Job found?
3. When J.B. and Sarah are arguing over whether God's blessings are earned or simply given, what happens to interrupt them?
4. What are Zuss and Nickles holding while they watch Sarah and J.B. realize their son is dead?
5. Allegory is a form of extended ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Sarah returns to J.B., what does she tell him is the reason she left him?
2. What do Zuss and Nickles become instruments of at the end of Scene 7?
3. How does Scene 2 reinforce the idea that this play, and the biblical story, are allegories?
4. What do the group of women and the young girl do when they first arrive on the stage?
5. Who is Zophar?
6. What is the conflict that J.B. and Sarah represent?
7. Why does Nickles say that J.B. would never be willing to take his life back?
8. Why does Sarah protest J.B.'s thoughts that God doesn't punish without cause?
9. When J.B. prays to God for death, what is Sarah's response?
10. What does Nickles think about Zuss' line, "His will, our peace?"
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)