|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mr. Nickles and Mr. Zuss step onto the stage, who is Mr. Zuss going to play?
(a) St. Peter.
2. Sarah compares their children to J.B., saying that they both show gratitude the way a woman does what?
(a) Wears nice jewelry.
(b) Uses purses.
(c) Wears a nice dress.
(d) Wears a nice pair of shoes.
3. The scene between the family shows the _____ between J.B. and Sarah about their beliefs.
4. The Messengers bring Sarah into the house, dirty and bruised. Where has she been?
(a) She was beaten up by a gang member.
(b) She fell off a bridge.
(c) She was trapped under the wall of a collapsing building.
(d) She was in a car accident.
5. Existentialism is a philosophical movement of what century?
Short Answer Questions
1. Some people say that J.B. is lucky, but J.B. attributes his "luck" to what?
2. When Zuss and Nickles are arguing about the role of suffering in J.B.'s life, they are ______ to the story of Job in the Bible.
3. According to Mr. Zuss, why does Job not have a right to question God?
4. What does Sarah want the children, at dinner, to do more thoroughly?
5. At the end of Scene 2, after Zuss and Nickles quote lines, the lights change and the audience is taken where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scene 2 reinforce the idea that this play, and the biblical story, are allegories?
2. Why does Nickles believe that J.B. has to suffer?
3. Who is Zophar?
4. What are Sarah and J.B.'s reactions to the death of David?
5. Describe the Satan-mask and the God-mask.
6. When Nickles says that Zuss should look pleased because J.B. is playing the role Zuss wanted him to, what is Zuss' response?
7. What does Zuss tell Nickles that there is left to complete in the story, when Nickles says that there couldn't possibly be more?
8. How do the soldiers suggest that David is dead?
9. At the end of Scene 2, what do Zuss and Nickles do?
10. Why does Nickles think that God is laughing at Job?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)