|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. J.B. represents what side of belief in God?
2. When Mr. Zuss climbs the ladder, what kind of mask does he find?
(a) Restful and angelic.
(b) Beautiful and peaceful.
(c) Beautiful and powerful.
(d) Restful and glorious.
3. Mr. Zuss says that evil is never ______.
4. Sarah tells them that David's ______ are probably much dirtier than theirs.
5. What does Sarah think the two soldiers have for her and J.B.?
(a) A medal for their son.
(b) A letter from their son.
(c) A message from their son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Existentialism says that life is mainly full of what?
2. Sarah represents what side of belief in God?
3. What color are the uniforms of the concession vendors?
4. What word characterizes Zuss' and Nickles' thoughts about J.B.'s acting abilities?
5. J.B. sings a song that says, "To be, become, and end are all _____."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sarah protest J.B.'s thoughts that God doesn't punish without cause?
2. What do the blossoms on Sarah's twig at the end of the play represent?
3. What is the role of the First and Second Messenger?
4. When J.B. prays to God for death, what is Sarah's response?
5. How does Scene 2 reinforce the idea that this play, and the biblical story, are allegories?
6. How does Sarah suggest that she and J.B. see into the darkness on the other side of the door?
7. How do the states of faith and fear represent the traditional state of mankind?
8. What does Nickles' inability to find his mask represent?
9. Why are Zuss and Nickles unable to put on their masks in Scene 7?
10. How would you, as a reader, sum up the whole of Scene 10?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)