|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. J.B. represents what side of belief in God?
2. At the end of Scene 2, after Zuss and Nickles quote lines, the lights change and the audience is taken where?
(a) To the scene of an accident.
(b) To a funeral.
(c) To a church.
(d) Back to the dining room table.
3. When the lights fade at the end of Scene 1, what shadows are left on the ceiling of the tent?
(a) The shadows of death and destruction.
(b) The shadows of the God-mask and Satan-mask.
(c) The shadows of God and Satan.
(d) The shadows of Mr. Zuss and Mr. Nickles.
4. What is J.B. and Sarah's daughter holding in her fist when she is found?
(a) A toy umbrella.
(b) A toy doll.
(c) A toy tea pot.
(d) A stuffed animal.
5. Existentialism says that the sum total of existence is what human beings _______.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Scene 2, what do Zuss and Nickles remove?
2. Who is the Distant Voice meant to represent?
3. When the writer uses words that begin with the same sound to get the attention of the reader, it is called what?
4. At the end of the Prologue, what holiday is J.B. shown at?
5. Whose story do Mr. Nickles and Mr. Zuss portray on the stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sarah suggest that she and J.B. see into the darkness on the other side of the door?
2. What do J.B. and Sarah feel, even when they sleep?
3. What is similar about the argument at the end of Scene 7 between Zuss and Nickles to other arguments in the play?
4. Sarah and J.B. are arguing over what subject at Thanksgiving?
5. What does the debate over whether J.B. knows he is an actor suggest?
6. What is Zuss' answer to why J.B. has to suffer?
7. Why does Zuss think that nothing would influence the way J.B. acts, and that certainly being poor will not influence him?
8. What do the blossoms on Sarah's twig at the end of the play represent?
9. What does Nickles think about Zuss' line, "His will, our peace?"
10. What does Nickles' inability to find his mask represent?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)