|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The soldier mentions doing the best they could for David, but says that they didn't have the right length of _________.
2. What does the First Messenger do when the Second Messenger tells J.B. and Sarah that their children are dead because of a drunk driver?
(a) Interview them for a news video.
(b) Take notes.
(c) Snap pictures.
(d) Record with a video camera.
3. This play, and the story of Job, are allegories for what?
(a) The human experience in relation with God.
(b) The human experience of suffering.
(c) The human experience and philosophy.
(d) The human experience of existentialism.
4. J.B. says that Sarah "thinks you can choose among your _____: well you don't, you love the lot of them."
5. What does Nickles want to do when he climbs down the ladder?
(a) Help Sarah understand what is occurring.
(b) Laugh at Sarah and her faith.
(c) Laugh at J.B. and his faith.
(d) Help J.B. understand what is occurring.
Short Answer Questions
1. The name "Zuss" resembles what god from Ancient Greece?
2. When J.B. makes a reference to Sarah's love of flowers, he is referring to what?
3. The second traditional aspect of man's relationship with God is fear of His _________.
4. How does Mr. Nickles describe Job's situation?
5. Existentialism says that the sum total of existence is what human beings _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Zuss and Nickles become instruments of at the end of Scene 7?
2. What does Nickles think about Zuss' line, "His will, our peace?"
3. Why does Nickles think that God is laughing at Job?
4. How does Nickles refer to God?
5. When Nickles says that Zuss should look pleased because J.B. is playing the role Zuss wanted him to, what is Zuss' response?
6. Sarah and J.B. are arguing over what subject at Thanksgiving?
7. How do the soldiers suggest that David is dead?
8. In Scene 2, what does Zuss wonder about J.B.'s acting?
9. What does the use of shabby costumes on the Three Comforters suggest?
10. What is similar about the argument at the end of Scene 7 between Zuss and Nickles to other arguments in the play?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)