|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mr. Zuss says that the world is a great place, what does Mr. Nickles say it is?
(a) A waste land.
(b) A trash pile.
(c) A dung-heap.
(d) A garbage dump.
2. When Zuss and Nickles are arguing about the role of suffering in J.B.'s life, they are ______ to the story of Job in the Bible.
3. Once Nickles and Zuss have their masks on, where do they quote lines from?
(a) Famous movies.
(c) The Bible.
(d) History books.
4. J.B. sings a song that says, "To be, become, and end are all _____."
5. What is the modern day religion closest to existentialism?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the Prologue, what holiday is J.B. shown at?
2. At the beginning of Scene 2, what do Zuss and Nickles remove?
3. What book of the Old Testament are Zuss and Nickles basing their lines on at the end of Scene 2?
4. Where is the story of Job found?
5. When Zuss and Nickles put their masks on at the end of Scene 2, what do they recite?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the soldiers suggest that David is dead?
2. How does Scene 2 reinforce the idea that this play, and the biblical story, are allegories?
3. What does Bildad say about J.B.'s claim of innocence?
4. At the end of Scene 2, what do Zuss and Nickles do?
5. What is similar about the argument at the end of Scene 7 between Zuss and Nickles to other arguments in the play?
6. What does Nickles think about Zuss' line, "His will, our peace?"
7. In Scene 2, what does Zuss wonder about J.B.'s acting?
8. Why does Sarah protest J.B.'s thoughts that God doesn't punish without cause?
9. What thematic statement is made by the actions in Scene 10?
10. Why does Nickles believe that J.B. has to suffer?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)