|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "His will, our peace?"
2. The women, in Scene 8, remember J.B. and Sarah from the days when they are what?
(a) Benevolent and joyful.
(b) Rich and successful.
(c) Powerful leaders.
(d) Praiseworthy and laughing.
3. At the beginning of Scene 10, Nickles calls Zuss what?
4. J.B. shouts that he will not listen to Eliphaz's argument and then does what?
(a) Covers his eyes.
(b) Gets on his knees.
(d) Covers his ears.
5. After Zuss calls for the lights in Scene 10, what does Nickles complain about?
(a) That there isn't anywhere to go from here.
(b) That he doesn't like his job.
(c) That there couldn't possibly be more.
(d) That the story didn't have a happy ending.
6. How many aspects of human existence is this play an allegory about?
7. What does Nickles hear before he leaves J.B.?
(a) A bell.
(b) Someone at the door.
(c) A telephone ring.
(d) Someone in the garage.
8. After J.B. calms God down, what does he do?
(a) Forgave Nickles.
(b) Forgave himself.
(c) Forgave God.
(d) Forgave Sarah.
9. What do the women, in Scene 8, sit on around J.B. and Sarah?
(b) The ground.
10. Who tells J.B. that God will give him everything back?
11. J.B. doesn't believe that God will give him everything back, but then he notices what?
(a) Sarah around the corner.
(b) A briefcase full of money.
(c) The sores on his arms are healed.
(d) His house is standing.
12. Nickles complains that God has done what, tumbling a whole city down to blister one man's skin with agony?
(a) Gone over the deep end.
(b) Been obsessive.
(c) Become vengeful.
(d) Gone over the top.
13. Nickles equates God's will not with _______, but with being ruled and submission.
14. What does Zophar wear?
(a) A clerical collar.
(b) A bishop's mitre.
(c) A stole.
(d) A robe.
15. When Nickles asks J.B. if he knows what happens at the end, J.B. says what?
(a) That he doesn't know anything.
(b) That this is a new beginning.
(c) That there is no end.
(d) That only God knows everything.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 7, who quotes God's lines from the Bible where he asks the devil to consider the perfection of Job's devotion?
2. The four women and young girl who appear function as what type of character that is often seen in Ancient Greek theater?
3. After J.B. realizes that Sarah is gone, he cries out for God to do what?
4. Why does J.B. apologize to Zophar, Eliphaz, and Bildad?
5. Nickles' being unable to find his mask represents the helplessness of humans when we are not able to use God for what?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)