|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Now that he is covered in blisters and everything is taken from him, J.B. prays to God for what?
2. After Zuss and Nickles put on their masks in Scene 7, what is the name of the character who urges God to destroy J.B.'s body?
3. J.B. says that unless there is guilt, what has no meaning?
(c) The world.
4. Why does Nickles think that J.B. will not take his life back?
(a) Because he doesn't want his life back.
(b) Because he doesn't think he deserves it.
(c) Because he doesn't want to suffer again.
(d) Because that's not the way it works for him.
5. Nickles equates God's will not with _______, but with being ruled and submission.
6. What does Nickles hear before he leaves J.B.?
(a) A telephone ring.
(b) A bell.
(c) Someone at the door.
(d) Someone in the garage.
7. J.B. and Sarah, now that everything has been taken from them, say that even when they sleep they feel what?
(a) Desire to be better people.
(b) Pain and suffering.
(c) Deep sorrow.
(d) Eyes upon them.
8. When J.B. and Sarah both pray for sleep, the women recall the death of Sarah and J.B.'s children and wonder whether Sarah will do what?
(a) Die in an accident.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Love J.B.
(d) Leave J.B.
9. When Nickles goes to J.B., how does he describe himself?
(c) Professional counsel.
(d) A doctor.
10. Bildad says that justice will come when?
(a) At the end of time.
(b) At the end of the earth.
(c) In the lifetime of one man.
(d) When it comes.
11. Eliphaz says that guilt is what?
(a) A joke.
(b) An illusion.
(c) An emotion.
(d) A mockery.
12. Nickles and Zuss both lose what at the beginning of Scene 10?
(a) Their tempers.
(b) Their masks.
(c) Their roles.
(d) Their ideas.
13. The women, in Scene 8, remember J.B. and Sarah from the days when they are what?
(a) Benevolent and joyful.
(b) Praiseworthy and laughing.
(c) Rich and successful.
(d) Powerful leaders.
14. Nickles climbs up the ladder at the end of Scene 8 and calls God by what name?
15. Nickles complains that God has done what, tumbling a whole city down to blister one man's skin with agony?
(a) Gone over the deep end.
(b) Been obsessive.
(c) Become vengeful.
(d) Gone over the top.
Short Answer Questions
1. When God doesn't respond to Nickles' call at the end of Scene 8, he suggests that someone needs to appear. Who is it?
2. How many aspects of human existence is this play an allegory about?
3. Who tells J.B. that God will give him everything back?
4. Why does J.B. apologize to Zophar, Eliphaz, and Bildad?
5. Who urges J.B. to take the new life that is being offered to him?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)