|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the story of Job found?
(a) In the New Testament.
(b) In the Apocrapha.
(c) In the Old Testament.
(d) In the Pentateuch.
2. At the end of Scene 2, after Zuss and Nickles quote lines, the lights change and the audience is taken where?
(a) Back to the dining room table.
(b) To a church.
(c) To a funeral.
(d) To the scene of an accident.
3. Nickles says that the real reason for suffering is to learn that everything ends in what?
(a) Death and emptiness.
(b) Death and dirt.
(c) Death and pity.
(d) Death and sorrow.
4. Where does Sarah believe that blessings come from?
(d) The Church.
5. The argument of the play is that the only way to live and transcend suffering is through what?
(a) Faith in human beings.
(b) Belief that there is a God and a divine plan.
(c) Prayer and obedience to God.
(d) Faith and trust in God an his divine plan.
6. Some people say that J.B. is lucky, but J.B. attributes his "luck" to what?
(a) God's blessings.
(b) God's knowledge.
(c) God's thanks.
(d) God's acts.
7. Nickles and Zuss are what type of characters?
8. After Sarah sings her song, the children ask J.B. to do what?
(a) Play the piano.
(b) Sing a different song.
(c) Sing the same song.
(d) Put the train together.
9. When Nickles and Zuss are saying their lines, who says God's first line?
(a) An audience member.
(b) Another actor.
(d) A Distant Voice.
10. To Zuss and Nickles, J.B. is playing a role in deciding the argument between what two entities?
(a) Good and evil.
(b) Praise and thanks.
(c) Fear and faith.
(d) God and Satan.
11. Existentialism says that the sum total of existence is what human beings _______.
12. What is the name of Sarah and J.B.'s son who is off at war?
13. At the end of the Prologue, what holiday is J.B. shown at?
(b) Fourth of July.
14. Zuss wonders if J.B. knows that he is a(n) ______ in the story.
(b) Minor character.
(c) Main character.
15. What are Zuss and Nickles holding while they watch Sarah and J.B. realize their son is dead?
(b) Their masks.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Zuss, why does Job not have a right to question God?
2. After coming down from their platform, how do Nickles and Zuss return to their platform?
3. J.B. refers to the regularity of morning and spring to show that God can be what?
4. What does the First Messenger do when the Second Messenger tells J.B. and Sarah that their children are dead because of a drunk driver?
5. There are two traditional aspects of man's relationship with God as portrayed in the story. The first is ______ in God's love.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)