|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does existentialism say about God?
(a) There is no God.
(b) God indulges in making mankind suffer.
(c) God doesn't make anything happen to mankind.
(d) God makes bad things happen.
2. Where is the story of Job found?
(a) In the New Testament.
(b) In the Pentateuch.
(c) In the Apocrapha.
(d) In the Old Testament.
3. What book of the Old Testament are Zuss and Nickles basing their lines on at the end of Scene 2?
4. How many children do J.B. and Sarah have?
5. The text of the play is written in what?
(a) Blank verse.
(b) Trochaic iameter.
(c) Tetromic pentameter.
(d) Choric verse.
6. How many meanings does an allegorical story have?
7. Nickles and Zuss are what type of characters?
8. What does Mr. Nickles sell?
(c) Ice cream.
9. Nickles says that the real reason for suffering is to learn that everything ends in what?
(a) Death and pity.
(b) Death and dirt.
(c) Death and emptiness.
(d) Death and sorrow.
10. J.B. refers to the regularity of morning and spring to show that God can be what?
(a) Counted upon.
11. J.B. sings a song that says, "To be, become, and end are all _____."
12. Allegory is a form of extended ______.
13. What does Sarah think the two soldiers have for her and J.B.?
(a) A message from their son.
(c) A letter from their son.
(d) A medal for their son.
14. Sarah represents what side of belief in God?
15. When J.B. and Sarah are arguing over whether God's blessings are earned or simply given, what happens to interrupt them?
(a) One child becomes sick.
(b) One child asks Sarah to put him to bed.
(c) One child asks for a story.
(d) One child asks for the wishbone.
Short Answer Questions
1. J.B.'s song at the end of Scene 1represents what?
2. When the writer uses words that begin with the same sound to get the attention of the reader, it is called what?
3. What does Sarah want the children, at dinner, to do more thoroughly?
4. Sarah compares their children to J.B., saying that they both show gratitude the way a woman does what?
5. Once Nickles and Zuss have their masks on, where do they quote lines from?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)