|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of J.B.'s children are in a car that is hit by a drunk driver?
2. The argument of the play is that the only way to live and transcend suffering is through what?
(a) Prayer and obedience to God.
(b) Belief that there is a God and a divine plan.
(c) Faith and trust in God an his divine plan.
(d) Faith in human beings.
3. Mr. Nickles and Mr. Zuss, in the Prologue, say that the audience is what?
(b) At rest.
(c) The ocean.
4. Sarah tells them that David's ______ are probably much dirtier than theirs.
5. Existentialism says that the sum total of existence is what human beings _______.
6. In the Prologue, man is compared to a wingless, sightless insect that does what?
(a) Bangs itself against a window pane.
(b) Lands and gets run over by a car.
(c) Slams itself into a windshield.
(d) Gets squashed by the boot of someone larger.
7. Who is the Distant Voice meant to represent?
(a) The angels.
8. Where is the Prologue set?
(a) At a concessions stand.
(b) In a circus tent.
(c) In a football stadium.
(d) At a ball game.
9. J.B. represents what side of belief in God?
10. Why do J.B. and Sarah wait to call the police?
(a) They thought she would simply come home.
(b) They thought they could find her on their own.
(c) They thought she was at a friend's house.
(d) They thought nothing was wrong.
11. When the writer uses words that begin with the same sound to get the attention of the reader, it is called what?
12. To Zuss and Nickles, J.B. is playing a role in deciding the argument between what two entities?
(a) God and Satan.
(b) Praise and thanks.
(c) Good and evil.
(d) Fear and faith.
13. Sarah says that if they forget God, God will do what?
(a) Forget them.
(b) Leave them.
(c) Remove his blessings.
(d) Make them suffer.
14. According to the allegory this play represents, human life is lived according to what?
(a) God's pleasures.
(b) Man's pleasures.
(c) God's will.
(d) Man's will.
15. How does Mr. Nickles describe Job's situation?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is J.B.'s grace at the meal in Scene 1?
2. Existentialism is a philosophical movement of what century?
3. Sarah lives her life indulging in blaming rage and what?
4. What does existentialism say about God?
5. How many children do J.B. and Sarah have?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)