|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does existentialism say about God?
(a) There is no God.
(b) God doesn't make anything happen to mankind.
(c) God makes bad things happen.
(d) God indulges in making mankind suffer.
2. Once Nickles and Zuss have their masks on, where do they quote lines from?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Famous movies.
(c) History books.
3. When the writer uses words that begin with the same sound to get the attention of the reader, it is called what?
4. Sarah compares their children to J.B., saying that they both show gratitude the way a woman does what?
(a) Wears nice jewelry.
(b) Uses purses.
(c) Wears a nice pair of shoes.
(d) Wears a nice dress.
5. Who is the Distant Voice meant to represent?
(d) The angels.
6. After Sarah sings her song, the children ask J.B. to do what?
(a) Sing a different song.
(b) Sing the same song.
(c) Put the train together.
(d) Play the piano.
7. What is J.B. and Sarah's daughter holding in her fist when she is found?
(a) A toy doll.
(b) A toy umbrella.
(c) A stuffed animal.
(d) A toy tea pot.
8. Zuss wonders if J.B. knows that he is a(n) ______ in the story.
(b) Main character.
(c) Minor character.
9. When Nickles and Zuss are saying their lines, who says God's first line?
(a) Another actor.
(b) A Distant Voice.
(c) An audience member.
10. How does Mr. Nickles describe Job's situation?
11. When J.B. makes a reference to Sarah's love of flowers, he is referring to what?
(a) Their possessions.
(b) Their blessings.
(c) Their family.
(d) Their children.
12. J.B. represents what side of belief in God?
13. When Mr. Nickles and Mr. Zuss step onto the stage, who is Mr. Zuss going to play?
(a) St. Peter.
14. What does Sarah think the two soldiers have for her and J.B.?
(b) A medal for their son.
(c) A letter from their son.
(d) A message from their son.
15. J.B.'s song at the end of Scene 1represents what?
(a) The mood of the play.
(b) The theme of the play.
(c) The tone of the play.
(d) The motive of the play.
Short Answer Questions
1. Existentialism is a philosophical movement of what century?
2. Whose story do Mr. Nickles and Mr. Zuss portray on the stage?
3. What are Zuss and Nickles holding while they watch Sarah and J.B. realize their son is dead?
4. Sarah sings a song to the children that wonders what?
5. When J.B. and Sarah are arguing over whether God's blessings are earned or simply given, what happens to interrupt them?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)