|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Nickles and Zuss have their masks on, where do they quote lines from?
(a) The Bible.
(b) History books.
(c) Famous movies.
2. J.B.'s song at the end of Scene 1represents what?
(a) The tone of the play.
(b) The motive of the play.
(c) The mood of the play.
(d) The theme of the play.
3. Nickles says that the real reason for suffering is to learn that everything ends in what?
(a) Death and dirt.
(b) Death and sorrow.
(c) Death and pity.
(d) Death and emptiness.
4. What does Mr. Zuss sell?
5. What color are the uniforms of the concession vendors?
6. J.B. sings a song that says, "To be, become, and end are all _____."
7. The argument of the play is that the only way to live and transcend suffering is through what?
(a) Faith in human beings.
(b) Faith and trust in God an his divine plan.
(c) Belief that there is a God and a divine plan.
(d) Prayer and obedience to God.
8. Sarah says that if they forget God, God will do what?
(a) Remove his blessings.
(b) Leave them.
(c) Forget them.
(d) Make them suffer.
9. Who is the Distant Voice meant to represent?
(a) The angels.
10. At the end of the Prologue, what holiday is J.B. shown at?
(a) Fourth of July.
11. How long is J.B.'s grace at the meal in Scene 1?
(a) Very brief.
(b) Of moderate length.
(d) Long enough.
12. After Sarah sings her song, the children ask J.B. to do what?
(a) Put the train together.
(b) Sing the same song.
(c) Play the piano.
(d) Sing a different song.
13. The lesson of the allegory that this play represents is that we can face whatever happens with acceptance and grace. Which character represents this viewpoint?
14. Where are Zuss and Nickles when Sarah and J.B. realize their son is dead?
(a) On an upper platform.
(b) In the front row of the audience.
(c) Off stage.
(d) To the side of the scene.
15. Existentialism says that life is mainly full of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Messengers bring Sarah into the house, dirty and bruised. Where has she been?
2. How many maids wait near the table that J.B. and his family are sitting at?
3. What is J.B. and Sarah's daughter holding in her fist when she is found?
4. There are two traditional aspects of man's relationship with God as portrayed in the story. The first is ______ in God's love.
5. What book of the Old Testament are Zuss and Nickles basing their lines on at the end of Scene 2?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)