|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the allegory this play represents, human life is lived according to what?
(a) Man's will.
(b) God's will.
(c) Man's pleasures.
(d) God's pleasures.
2. What does Nickles want to do when he climbs down the ladder?
(a) Laugh at J.B. and his faith.
(b) Help Sarah understand what is occurring.
(c) Help J.B. understand what is occurring.
(d) Laugh at Sarah and her faith.
3. The Messengers bring Sarah into the house, dirty and bruised. Where has she been?
(a) She was in a car accident.
(b) She fell off a bridge.
(c) She was beaten up by a gang member.
(d) She was trapped under the wall of a collapsing building.
4. When Nickles and Zuss are saying their lines, who says God's first line?
(a) Another actor.
(c) An audience member.
(d) A Distant Voice.
5. When the lights fade at the end of Scene 1, what shadows are left on the ceiling of the tent?
(a) The shadows of death and destruction.
(b) The shadows of Mr. Zuss and Mr. Nickles.
(c) The shadows of the God-mask and Satan-mask.
(d) The shadows of God and Satan.
6. Where are Zuss and Nickles when Sarah and J.B. realize their son is dead?
(a) On an upper platform.
(b) To the side of the scene.
(c) Off stage.
(d) In the front row of the audience.
7. In the story of Job, Satan bets God that if God were to curse Job, Job would do what?
(a) Pray to Satan.
(b) Curse God.
(c) Pray to God.
(d) Praise Satan.
8. Allegory is a form of extended ______.
9. Before Zuss can shout out his faith in J.B.'s faith, Nickles asks him what question?
(a) Why J.B. has to have faith.
(b) Why J.B. has to suffer.
(c) Why J.B. has to experience pain.
(d) Why J.B. has to die.
10. J.B. represents what side of belief in God?
11. When the writer uses words that begin with the same sound to get the attention of the reader, it is called what?
12. Mr. Nickles and Mr. Zuss, in the Prologue, describe the stage as what?
(a) On the ground.
(d) In the sky.
13. The lesson of the allegory that this play represents is that we can face whatever happens with acceptance and grace. Which character represents this viewpoint?
14. Sarah sings a song to the children that wonders what?
(a) Where prayers go when they are made.
(b) Where wishes go once they are wished.
(c) Where the days go when they're over.
(d) Where the sun goes when it goes down.
15. Once Nickles and Zuss have their masks on, where do they quote lines from?
(b) History books.
(c) Famous movies.
(d) The Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah says that if they forget God, God will do what?
2. How long does it take for J.B. and Sarah to call the police about their missing daughter?
3. What is the name of Sarah and J.B.'s son who is off at war?
4. J.B. refers to the regularity of morning and spring to show that God can be what?
5. Where is the story of Job found?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)