|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does True Belle constantly describe to Violet?
2. Who does Joe think is his mother?
3. Who does Dorcas tell her friends attacks her?
4. What happens to the plantation thirteen years after Golden Gray meets his father?
5. How long does True Belle stay with the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism Morrison includes in her novel of Violet releasing the birds? What events lead up to this, and how is Violet different afterward?
Essay Topic 2
The mothers of Violet, Joe, and Dorcas die tragically, abandon their children, or kill themselves. Why do you think Morrison includes this similarity between these three characters? What does the loss of one's mother symbolize? Do you think it effectively unites the characters, or does it pull them apart?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Morrison includes the confrontation between Golden Gray and his father? What purpose does the scene serve? Do you think the reader has just as thorough an understanding of the characters without this description of events?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)