|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Acton do before seeking medical care for Dorcas?
2. How old is Joe when the plantation burns?
3. What does Lestory say in response to Golden Gray?
4. What does Golden Gray do before caring for the naked woman?
5. Why does Dorcas like Acton better than Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Eight, why does the narrator say Dorcas is getting tired of Joe?
2. In Chapter Seven, how does Henry say you can always find Wild?
3. Describe what Golden Gray sees in the forest as he approaches his father's cabin in Chapter Six.
4. Describe the way Felice obtains the ring, as presented by the narrator in Chapter Nine.
5. How does the narrator describe Acton?
6. Who are the only people who do not know that Vera Louise has a son with a black man?
7. Describe what Joe and Violet do together at night in Chapter 10.
8. In Chapter Seven, why does Joe think Wild is his own mother?
9. In Chapter 10, why does Alice Manfred move back to Springfield? What do you think is the real reason she moves back to Springfield?
10. In Chapter Eight, what does Dorcas notice about Joe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briefly summarize the incident when Malvonne finds the mail behind the refrigerator. What does she do in response? Why does she spend time doing these sorts of things, and what irony do you find in the events?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between True Belle and Vera Louise Gray. Do the events they share bring them together or pull them apart? How does each of their relationships with Golden Gray compare to the other?
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about Dorcas's clothespin dolls? What role do they play throughout Dorcas's life? Why do you think Morrison chooses this particular symbol?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)