|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Joe and Violet take up on the roof with them?
2. What does Joe find behind a hibiscus bush?
3. What does Felice tell the Traces about Dorcas?
4. Who tells Felice and her mother they must stop trying on rings?
5. Why does Joe want to find Dorcas again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dorcas break up with Joe?
2. Describe the relationship between True Belle and Golden Gray.
3. Describe what Violet sees when she first spots Felice in Chapter Nine.
4. Describe the initial meeting between Golden Gray and his father in Chapter Seven.
5. What does Vera Louise's mother do when she finds out Vera Louise is pregnant?
6. Describe what Joe and Violet do together at night in Chapter 10.
7. In Chapter 10, why do Joe and Violet often go to the roof? What do they do up there together?
8. In Chapter Seven, how does Henry say you can always find Wild?
9. In Chapter Nine, why does Felice come to visit Violet and Joe?
10. How does the narrator describe Acton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Morrison includes the confrontation between Golden Gray and his father? What purpose does the scene serve? Do you think the reader has just as thorough an understanding of the characters without this description of events?
Essay Topic 2
The title of the work is "Jazz." Why does Morrison choose such a title for this book? What is the significance of jazz music in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
How do you describe the development of the relationship between Alice and Violet? Why do you think Violet is so determined to befriend Alice? What benefits do both women derive from the relationship?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)