|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of birth does the naked pregnant girl have?
2. What happens to the plantation thirteen years after Golden Gray meets his father?
3. What sort of present does Acton buy Dorcas?
4. Who else is at the party with Dorcas and Acton?
5. What does Golden Gray call Lestory when he sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Seven, why does Joe think Wild is his own mother?
2. In Chapter Nine, why does Felice come to visit Violet and Joe?
3. Describe the way Dorcas is feeling at the party in the beginning of Chapter Eight.
4. What sorts of things to Joe and Violet do together once their relationship is renewed?
5. Describe the way True Belle's grandchildren are living when she comes to care for them in Chapter Six.
6. Describe Vera Louise's father's reaction when he is told Vera Louise is pregnant.
7. Why doesn't Dorcas want anyone to call an ambulance for her after she is shot?
8. Who are the only people who do not know that Vera Louise has a son with a black man?
9. In Chapter Eight, what does Dorcas notice about Joe?
10. In Chapter Nine, how does Felice describe Dorcas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about Dorcas's clothespin dolls? What role do they play throughout Dorcas's life? Why do you think Morrison chooses this particular symbol?
Essay Topic 2
How is Violet described in the initial portion of the novel? Do you think this is a fair description of Violet's character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Joe and Violet move from the country to the city? What reasons does Joe give for the move? Do you think these reasons are accurate? Why or why not?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)