|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Golden Gray cover the woman's body with?
2. What does Dorcas notice about Joe when he shoots her?
3. What does Felice say Dorcas likes having?
4. What does True Belle sew to the hem of her dress?
5. What, in Dorcas's mind, is wrong with Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vera Louise's father's reaction when he is told Vera Louise is pregnant.
2. Describe the way Felice obtains the ring, as presented by the narrator in Chapter Nine.
3. How does the narrator describe Acton?
4. Why do you think the ambulance takes such a long time to come help Dorcas? What excuses do they give?
5. Describe Acton's reaction to the shooting of Dorcas in Chapter Eight.
6. In Chapter Seven, what does Henry Lestory find when he gets back to his cabin?
7. Why does Dorcas break up with Joe?
8. What is your understanding of the relationship between Joe, Violet, and Felice in Chapters Nine and Ten?
9. Describe the way Dorcas is feeling at the party in the beginning of Chapter Eight.
10. Describe the birthing scene of the naked black girl in Chapter Seven.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about Dorcas's clothespin dolls? What role do they play throughout Dorcas's life? Why do you think Morrison chooses this particular symbol?
Essay Topic 2
How do you describe the development of the relationship between Alice and Violet? Why do you think Violet is so determined to befriend Alice? What benefits do both women derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Violet and Dorcas. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)