|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joe think is his mother?
2. How does Golden Gray become drunk?
3. What does Joe find behind a hibiscus bush?
4. What does Felice say Dorcas does for Acton?
5. How does the girl respond to the baby immediately after it is born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Joe and Violet do together at night in Chapter 10.
2. Describe what Violet sees when she first spots Felice in Chapter Nine.
3. Describe the way Dorcas is feeling at the party in the beginning of Chapter Eight.
4. In Chapter Eight, what does Dorcas notice about Joe?
5. Describe the initial meeting between Golden Gray and his father in Chapter Seven.
6. In Chapter Eight, why does the narrator say Dorcas is getting tired of Joe?
7. Describe Acton's reaction to the shooting of Dorcas in Chapter Eight.
8. Describe the way True Belle's grandchildren are living when she comes to care for them in Chapter Six.
9. What happens to the cotton plantation thirteen years after Golden Gray confronts his father?
10. In Chapter Seven, how does Henry say you can always find Wild?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Violet decide she never wants to have children? What impact does this have on her marriage? How does her desire to have children change throughout the book and why?
Essay Topic 2
How is Violet described in the initial portion of the novel? Do you think this is a fair description of Violet's character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is racism explored and conveyed in Morrison's work? Why do you think Morrison writes about it in this way?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)