|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet Felice carry as she climbs the stairs?
2. What day of the week does Violet invite Felice to dinner?
3. What does Golden Gray cover the woman's body with?
4. Who doesn't want an ambulance to be called after Joe shot Dorcas?
5. What does Joe find behind a hibiscus bush?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the ambulance takes such a long time to come help Dorcas? What excuses do they give?
2. Describe the way Felice obtains the ring, as presented by the narrator in Chapter Nine.
3. Describe Vera Louise's father's reaction when he is told Vera Louise is pregnant.
4. How does the narrator describe Acton?
5. Why doesn't Dorcas want anyone to call an ambulance for her after she is shot?
6. In Chapter 10, why does Joe get a new job? Does this help his relationship with Violet?
7. What does Vera Louise's mother do when she finds out Vera Louise is pregnant?
8. In Chapter Seven, how does Henry say you can always find Wild?
9. In Chapter 10, why do Joe and Violet often go to the roof? What do they do up there together?
10. In Chapter Seven, what does Henry Lestory find when he gets back to his cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact do you think Alice Manfred has on Dorcas? Do you think Dorcas is the same sort of person id she is not being raised by Alice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How is Violet described in the initial portion of the novel? Do you think this is a fair description of Violet's character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism Morrison includes in her novel of Violet releasing the birds? What events lead up to this, and how is Violet different afterward?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)