|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet offer to do to Felice's hair?
2. What is the relationship between Felice, Joe, and Violet like after Dorcas's death?
3. What is inside Joe's sample case in Chapter Eight?
4. What reason does the ambulance staff give for their delayed arrival?
5. Why does Malvonne gossip to both Joe and Violet near the end of the story?
Essay Topic 1
How do the stories of Dorcas's death differ as they are told by Joe, Dorcas, and Felice? What aspects are the same? How do the differences in perception accentuate the difference between these three characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of Golden Gray in Violet's life. How does it affect her childhood as well as her marriage with Joe?
Essay Topic 3
The mothers of Violet, Joe, and Dorcas die tragically, abandon their children, or kill themselves. Why do you think Morrison includes this similarity between these three characters? What does the loss of one's mother symbolize? Do you think it effectively unites the characters, or does it pull them apart?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)