|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in Dorcas's mind, is wrong with Joe?
2. Who does Dorcas tell her friends attacks her?
3. Who doesn't want an ambulance to be called after Joe shot Dorcas?
4. What does Felice say Dorcas likes having?
5. Who wipes the blood from the woman's face?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the cotton plantation thirteen years after Golden Gray confronts his father?
2. Why do you think the ambulance takes such a long time to come help Dorcas? What excuses do they give?
3. In Chapter Seven, what does Henry Lestory find when he gets back to his cabin?
4. In Chapter 10, why does Joe get a new job? Does this help his relationship with Violet?
5. Describe the relationship between True Belle and Golden Gray.
6. In Chapter 10, why do Joe and Violet often go to the roof? What do they do up there together?
7. Describe the way True Belle's grandchildren are living when she comes to care for them in Chapter Six.
8. Describe what Golden Gray sees in the forest as he approaches his father's cabin in Chapter Six.
9. What does Vera Louise's mother do when she finds out Vera Louise is pregnant?
10. Describe Acton's reaction to the shooting of Dorcas in Chapter Eight.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Morrison includes the confrontation between Golden Gray and his father? What purpose does the scene serve? Do you think the reader has just as thorough an understanding of the characters without this description of events?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of Golden Gray in Violet's life. How does it affect her childhood as well as her marriage with Joe?
Essay Topic 3
Felice has a strong attachment to the ring Dorcas is buried wearing. What does the ring signify, and why is it so important to Felice? What greater concepts are initiated in the story about the ring?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)