|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Acton do before seeking medical care for Dorcas?
2. What is the name of the speakeasy where Joe gets a job?
3. How often does Felice see her parents growing up?
4. What reason does the ambulance staff give for their delayed arrival?
5. What does Golden Gray find in the trees near his father's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way True Belle's grandchildren are living when she comes to care for them in Chapter Six.
2. Describe the relationship between True Belle and Golden Gray.
3. In Chapter Nine, how does Felice describe Dorcas?
4. In Chapter Eight, why does the narrator say Dorcas is getting tired of Joe?
5. Who are the only people who do not know that Vera Louise has a son with a black man?
6. Why doesn't Dorcas want anyone to call an ambulance for her after she is shot?
7. What sorts of things to Joe and Violet do together once their relationship is renewed?
8. In Chapter 10, why does Joe get a new job? Does this help his relationship with Violet?
9. What is your understanding of the relationship between Joe, Violet, and Felice in Chapters Nine and Ten?
10. In Chapter Seven, how does Henry say you can always find Wild?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of Golden Gray in Violet's life. How does it affect her childhood as well as her marriage with Joe?
Essay Topic 2
How do you describe the development of the relationship between Alice and Violet? Why do you think Violet is so determined to befriend Alice? What benefits do both women derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Joe and Acton. Are they similar in any way, or are they mostly different? What does Dorcas find appealing in each man? How does her relationship with each man change throughout the novel?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)