|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe get a job at the speakeasy?
2. What is the reason Golden Gray comes to see Lestory?
3. What, in Dorcas's mind, is wrong with Joe?
4. How old is Joe when the plantation burns?
5. What does Joe find near the cooking fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Nine, why does Felice come to visit Violet and Joe?
2. In Chapter Seven, what does Henry Lestory find when he gets back to his cabin?
3. In Chapter 10, why does Joe get a new job? Does this help his relationship with Violet?
4. Describe the way True Belle's grandchildren are living when she comes to care for them in Chapter Six.
5. Why do you think the ambulance takes such a long time to come help Dorcas? What excuses do they give?
6. Describe the way Felice obtains the ring, as presented by the narrator in Chapter Nine.
7. In Chapter 10, why do Joe and Violet often go to the roof? What do they do up there together?
8. What sorts of things to Joe and Violet do together once their relationship is renewed?
9. Describe Vera Louise's father's reaction when he is told Vera Louise is pregnant.
10. What happens to the cotton plantation thirteen years after Golden Gray confronts his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Morrison includes the confrontation between Golden Gray and his father? What purpose does the scene serve? Do you think the reader has just as thorough an understanding of the characters without this description of events?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Violet decide she never wants to have children? What impact does this have on her marriage? How does her desire to have children change throughout the book and why?
Essay Topic 3
How is Violet described in the initial portion of the novel? Do you think this is a fair description of Violet's character? Why or why not?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)