|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the speakeasy where Joe gets a job?
2. What does Joe hear in the woods after fishing?
3. At the end of the story, what do Joe and Violet do together?
4. What does Vera Louise do with True Belle's wages?
5. Who tells Felice and her mother they must stop trying on rings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the cotton plantation thirteen years after Golden Gray confronts his father?
2. Describe the way Felice obtains the ring, as presented by the narrator in Chapter Nine.
3. Describe what Joe and Violet do together at night in Chapter 10.
4. Describe the way True Belle's grandchildren are living when she comes to care for them in Chapter Six.
5. How does the narrator describe Acton?
6. In Chapter Seven, how does Henry say you can always find Wild?
7. Why doesn't Dorcas want anyone to call an ambulance for her after she is shot?
8. Describe what Golden Gray sees in the forest as he approaches his father's cabin in Chapter Six.
9. Why do you think the ambulance takes such a long time to come help Dorcas? What excuses do they give?
10. Describe the relationship between True Belle and Golden Gray.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between True Belle and Vera Louise Gray. Do the events they share bring them together or pull them apart? How does each of their relationships with Golden Gray compare to the other?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of Golden Gray in Violet's life. How does it affect her childhood as well as her marriage with Joe?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Morrison includes the confrontation between Golden Gray and his father? What purpose does the scene serve? Do you think the reader has just as thorough an understanding of the characters without this description of events?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)