|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is inside Joe's sample case in Chapter Eight?
2. What do Joe and Violet do when they meet at the drugstore?
3. Why does Dorcas like Acton better than Joe?
4. What does Acton do before seeking medical care for Dorcas?
5. When does Dorcas say she reveals the true attacker?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Eight, why does the narrator say Dorcas is getting tired of Joe?
2. Describe the way Felice obtains the ring, as presented by the narrator in Chapter Nine.
3. Describe what Golden Gray sees in the forest as he approaches his father's cabin in Chapter Six.
4. Describe the relationship between True Belle and Golden Gray.
5. In Chapter 10, why does Alice Manfred move back to Springfield? What do you think is the real reason she moves back to Springfield?
6. Why doesn't Dorcas want anyone to call an ambulance for her after she is shot?
7. In Chapter Eight, what does Dorcas notice about Joe?
8. In Chapter Nine, how does Felice describe Dorcas?
9. In Chapter Nine, why does Felice come to visit Violet and Joe?
10. Describe Vera Louise's father's reaction when he is told Vera Louise is pregnant.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Morrison includes the confrontation between Golden Gray and his father? What purpose does the scene serve? Do you think the reader has just as thorough an understanding of the characters without this description of events?
Essay Topic 2
The title of the work is "Jazz." Why does Morrison choose such a title for this book? What is the significance of jazz music in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about Dorcas's clothespin dolls? What role do they play throughout Dorcas's life? Why do you think Morrison chooses this particular symbol?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)