|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vera Louise do with True Belle's wages?
2. What does Acton do before seeking medical care for Dorcas?
3. What does Lestory say in response to Golden Gray?
4. What reason does the ambulance staff give for their delayed arrival?
5. Why does Dorcas often sneak over to Felice's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is your understanding of the relationship between Joe, Violet, and Felice in Chapters Nine and Ten?
2. Describe what Golden Gray sees in the forest as he approaches his father's cabin in Chapter Six.
3. Describe the way Dorcas is feeling at the party in the beginning of Chapter Eight.
4. In Chapter 10, why does Joe get a new job? Does this help his relationship with Violet?
5. Describe the way True Belle's grandchildren are living when she comes to care for them in Chapter Six.
6. Describe the way Felice obtains the ring, as presented by the narrator in Chapter Nine.
7. Describe Acton's reaction to the shooting of Dorcas in Chapter Eight.
8. In Chapter 10, why does Alice Manfred move back to Springfield? What do you think is the real reason she moves back to Springfield?
9. Why doesn't Dorcas want anyone to call an ambulance for her after she is shot?
10. Describe the relationship between True Belle and Golden Gray.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briefly summarize the incident when Malvonne finds the mail behind the refrigerator. What does she do in response? Why does she spend time doing these sorts of things, and what irony do you find in the events?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Joe and Violet move from the country to the city? What reasons does Joe give for the move? Do you think these reasons are accurate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The mothers of Violet, Joe, and Dorcas die tragically, abandon their children, or kill themselves. Why do you think Morrison includes this similarity between these three characters? What does the loss of one's mother symbolize? Do you think it effectively unites the characters, or does it pull them apart?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)