|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Felice learn about the ring's location?
2. How long does True Belle stay with the children?
3. What is the name of the speakeasy where Joe gets a job?
4. Why does Joe get a job at the speakeasy?
5. What does Felice say Dorcas likes having?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the birthing scene of the naked black girl in Chapter Seven.
2. Describe the way True Belle's grandchildren are living when she comes to care for them in Chapter Six.
3. In Chapter Seven, how does Henry say you can always find Wild?
4. In Chapter 10, why does Joe get a new job? Does this help his relationship with Violet?
5. Why doesn't Dorcas want anyone to call an ambulance for her after she is shot?
6. In Chapter Nine, how does Felice describe Dorcas?
7. Describe the way Dorcas is feeling at the party in the beginning of Chapter Eight.
8. What does Vera Louise's mother do when she finds out Vera Louise is pregnant?
9. Describe Acton's reaction to the shooting of Dorcas in Chapter Eight.
10. Describe what Violet sees when she first spots Felice in Chapter Nine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Felice has a strong attachment to the ring Dorcas is buried wearing. What does the ring signify, and why is it so important to Felice? What greater concepts are initiated in the story about the ring?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Joe and Acton. Are they similar in any way, or are they mostly different? What does Dorcas find appealing in each man? How does her relationship with each man change throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is racism explored and conveyed in Morrison's work? Why do you think Morrison writes about it in this way?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)