|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is inside Joe's sample case in Chapter Eight?
2. Who does True Belle constantly describe to Violet?
3. Who ends up calling an ambulance for Dorcas?
4. What sort of person does Dorcas want to be with?
5. What sort of present does Acton buy Dorcas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Golden Gray sees in the forest as he approaches his father's cabin in Chapter Six.
2. In Chapter 10, why does Alice Manfred move back to Springfield? What do you think is the real reason she moves back to Springfield?
3. In Chapter Seven, how does Henry say you can always find Wild?
4. In Chapter Eight, why does the narrator say Dorcas is getting tired of Joe?
5. Describe what Violet sees when she first spots Felice in Chapter Nine.
6. Describe the way Felice obtains the ring, as presented by the narrator in Chapter Nine.
7. How does the narrator describe Acton?
8. What sorts of things to Joe and Violet do together once their relationship is renewed?
9. In Chapter Nine, why does Felice come to visit Violet and Joe?
10. Describe Acton's reaction to the shooting of Dorcas in Chapter Eight.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of Malvonne's presence in Morrison's novel. What does the character of Malvonne add to the plot? What is the story like if Morrison does not include such an antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
How do you describe the development of the relationship between Alice and Violet? Why do you think Violet is so determined to befriend Alice? What benefits do both women derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about Dorcas's clothespin dolls? What role do they play throughout Dorcas's life? Why do you think Morrison chooses this particular symbol?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)