|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice protect Dorcas from?
2. Who rents Joe and Dorcas a bedroom once a week?
3. Why doesn't a fire truck intervene during the house fire in Dorcas's home?
4. Who understands, like Joe, what it feels like to feel nothing inside?
5. What does Joe think about Violet's crazy episodes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Two, recount the surprise that Malvonne finds behind her refrigerator and her response to it.
2. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
3. In what ways does Alice try to protect Dorcas?
4. Briefly describe the nature of Joe and Dorcas's relationship as described in Chapter Two.
5. Why do Joe and Violet fall into such deep debt in Chapter Five?
6. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
7. In Chapter Two, what reason does the narrator give for Joe killing Dorcas?
8. In Chapter Four, how does the narrator describe the way Violet feels after she attacks Dorcas's body?
9. What is the significance of Dorcas's clothespin dolls in Chapter Three?
10. What is the story the narrator gives behind Joe's last name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Morrison introduce the topic of sexism in her book? How do sexist attitudes impact the wives of both female and male characters?
Essay Topic 2
How is Violet described in the initial portion of the novel? Do you think this is a fair description of Violet's character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about Dorcas's clothespin dolls? What role do they play throughout Dorcas's life? Why do you think Morrison chooses this particular symbol?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)