Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
2. How does Violet meet Joe?
3. In the beginning of the book, why does Joe say he shoots Dorcas?
4. What does Violet steal during one of her crazy episodes?
5. What does Violet do when the cotton crop is harvested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joe's recollection of the train ride to Maryland in Chapter Two.
2. In Chapter Eight, what does Dorcas notice about Joe?
3. In Chapter Eight, why does the narrator say Dorcas is getting tired of Joe?
4. What sorts of things to Joe and Violet do together once their relationship is renewed?
5. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
6. In Chapter 10, why do Joe and Violet often go to the roof? What do they do up there together?
7. Describe the birthing scene of the naked black girl in Chapter Seven.
8. Who are the only people who do not know that Vera Louise has a son with a black man?
9. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
10. In Chapter Four, how does Violet imagine Joe's relationship with Dorcas?
Essay Topic 1
The mothers of Violet, Joe, and Dorcas die tragically, abandon their children, or kill themselves. Why do you think Morrison includes this similarity between these three characters? What does the loss of one's mother symbolize? Do you think it effectively unites the characters, or does it pull them apart?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between True Belle and Vera Louise Gray. Do the events they share bring them together or pull them apart? How does each of their relationships with Golden Gray compare to the other?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of Golden Gray in Violet's life. How does it affect her childhood as well as her marriage with Joe?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)