|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet find in the bottom of the parrot's cage?
2. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
3. What does Joe take with him to the park?
4. What does Joe buy Dorcas the first day they meet?
5. What is special about Neola Miller?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Alice try to protect Dorcas?
2. Briefly describe the nature of Joe and Dorcas's relationship as described in Chapter Two.
3. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
4. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
5. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
6. How does the narrator describe Harlem of the 1920s in Chapter One?
7. How does the narrator describe the scene in which Violet attacks Dorcas's body?
8. Describe the time Joe sees Dorcas for the very first time.
9. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
10. In Chapter Four, why does True Belle come to Virginia to care for her grandchildren?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Felice has a strong attachment to the ring Dorcas is buried wearing. What does the ring signify, and why is it so important to Felice? What greater concepts are initiated in the story about the ring?
Essay Topic 2
How do you describe the development of the relationship between Alice and Violet? Why do you think Violet is so determined to befriend Alice? What benefits do both women derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Morrison includes the confrontation between Golden Gray and his father? What purpose does the scene serve? Do you think the reader has just as thorough an understanding of the characters without this description of events?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)