|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Violet Dorcas's address?
2. What is True Belle's relationship to Violet?
3. What does Violet's father bring the children when he visits?
4. What does Malvonne do for a living?
5. Who does Alice try to teach Dorcas to avoid?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, why do Joe and Violet often go to the roof? What do they do up there together?
2. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
3. How does the narrator describe Acton?
4. Describe Violet's "crazy episodes" as they are presented in Chapter One.
5. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
6. In what ways does Alice try to protect Dorcas?
7. How does Violet learn more about Dorcas in Chapter One? What does she learn?
8. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
9. Describe what Violet does with the picture of Dorcas in Chapter One.
10. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
Essay Topic 1
Briefly summarize the incident when Malvonne finds the mail behind the refrigerator. What does she do in response? Why does she spend time doing these sorts of things, and what irony do you find in the events?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Joe and Violet move from the country to the city? What reasons does Joe give for the move? Do you think these reasons are accurate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Joe and Acton. Are they similar in any way, or are they mostly different? What does Dorcas find appealing in each man? How does her relationship with each man change throughout the novel?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)