|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe take with him to the park?
2. What does Violet steal during one of her crazy episodes?
3. Who moves to Chicago?
4. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
5. What does the author suppose Violet does while Joe is looking out the window and crying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the death of Dorcas's mother.
2. In Chapter Two, recount the surprise that Malvonne finds behind her refrigerator and her response to it.
3. Why do Joe and Violet fall into such deep debt in Chapter Five?
4. What is the significance of Dorcas's clothespin dolls in Chapter Three?
5. In Chapter Two, what reason does the narrator give for Joe killing Dorcas?
6. In Chapter Four, why does True Belle come to Virginia to care for her grandchildren?
7. In Chapter Two, what does Joe tell Dorcas that he never tells Violet?
8. Describe Violet's "crazy episodes" as they are presented in Chapter One.
9. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
10. In what ways does Alice try to protect Dorcas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact do you think Alice Manfred has on Dorcas? Do you think Dorcas is the same sort of person id she is not being raised by Alice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism Morrison includes in her novel of Violet releasing the birds? What events lead up to this, and how is Violet different afterward?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of Golden Gray in Violet's life. How does it affect her childhood as well as her marriage with Joe?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)