Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
2. How does Violet meet Joe?
3. In the beginning of the book, why does Joe say he shoots Dorcas?
4. What does Violet steal during one of her crazy episodes?
5. What does Violet do when the cotton crop is harvested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joe's recollection of the train ride to Maryland in Chapter Two.
2. In Chapter Eight, what does Dorcas notice about Joe?
3. In Chapter Eight, why does the narrator say Dorcas is getting tired of Joe?
4. What sorts of things to Joe and Violet do together once their relationship is renewed?
5. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
6. In Chapter 10, why do Joe and Violet often go to the roof? What do they do up there together?
7. Describe the birthing scene of the naked black girl in Chapter Seven.
8. Who are the only people who do not know that Vera Louise has a son with a black man?
9. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
10. In Chapter Four, how does Violet imagine Joe's relationship with Dorcas?
How do you describe the development of the relationship between Alice and Violet? Why do you think Violet is so determined to befriend Alice? What benefits do both women derive from the relationship?
Compare and contrast the characters of Joe and Acton. Are they similar in any way, or are they mostly different? What does Dorcas find appealing in each man? How does her relationship with each man change throughout the novel?
What is the symbolism Morrison includes in her novel of Violet releasing the birds? What events lead up to this, and how is Violet different afterward?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)