|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Violet sleep at night?
2. How does the white men refer to the best hunter?
3. How does Rose Dear eventually die?
4. Who does Joe pray sends him a sign as he sits in the bushes?
5. Who attends the parade with Dorcas in 1917?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
2. What is the story the narrator gives behind Joe's last name?
3. In Chapter Two, what does Joe tell Dorcas that he never tells Violet?
4. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
5. How does the narrator describe the way Joe and Violet meet in Chapter Four?
6. Describe how Dorcas's mother dies.
7. In Chapter Two, recount the surprise that Malvonne finds behind her refrigerator and her response to it.
8. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
9. How does the narrator describe the scene in which Violet attacks Dorcas's body?
10. In what ways does Alice try to protect Dorcas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Joe and Violet move from the country to the city? What reasons does Joe give for the move? Do you think these reasons are accurate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Violet decide she never wants to have children? What impact does this have on her marriage? How does her desire to have children change throughout the book and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of Malvonne's presence in Morrison's novel. What does the character of Malvonne add to the plot? What is the story like if Morrison does not include such an antagonist?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)