Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
2. How does Violet meet Joe?
3. In the beginning of the book, why does Joe say he shoots Dorcas?
4. What does Violet steal during one of her crazy episodes?
5. What does Violet do when the cotton crop is harvested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joe's recollection of the train ride to Maryland in Chapter Two.
2. In Chapter Eight, what does Dorcas notice about Joe?
3. In Chapter Eight, why does the narrator say Dorcas is getting tired of Joe?
4. What sorts of things to Joe and Violet do together once their relationship is renewed?
5. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
6. In Chapter 10, why do Joe and Violet often go to the roof? What do they do up there together?
7. Describe the birthing scene of the naked black girl in Chapter Seven.
8. Who are the only people who do not know that Vera Louise has a son with a black man?
9. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
10. In Chapter Four, how does Violet imagine Joe's relationship with Dorcas?
Describe the relationship between True Belle and Vera Louise Gray. Do the events they share bring them together or pull them apart? How does each of their relationships with Golden Gray compare to the other?
How is racism explored and conveyed in Morrison's work? Why do you think Morrison writes about it in this way?
Compare and contrast the characters of Violet and Dorcas. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)