|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the best hunter choose to be his apprentices?
2. How much debt does Joe and Violet have on the land?
3. How does the white men refer to the best hunter?
4. What does Dorcas rescue from her home as a small child?
5. How does Rose Dear eventually die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
2. Why do Joe and Violet fall into such deep debt in Chapter Five?
3. In Chapter Four, how does Violet imagine Joe's relationship with Dorcas?
4. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
5. In Chapter Two, recount the surprise that Malvonne finds behind her refrigerator and her response to it.
6. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
7. In Chapter Five, how does the author describe Harlem in the springtime?
8. In Chapter Five, what does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
9. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
10. How does the narrator describe Harlem of the 1920s in Chapter One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between True Belle and Vera Louise Gray. Do the events they share bring them together or pull them apart? How does each of their relationships with Golden Gray compare to the other?
Essay Topic 2
What impact do you think Alice Manfred has on Dorcas? Do you think Dorcas is the same sort of person id she is not being raised by Alice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How do the stories of Dorcas's death differ as they are told by Joe, Dorcas, and Felice? What aspects are the same? How do the differences in perception accentuate the difference between these three characters?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)