|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorcas rescue from her home as a small child?
2. Why doesn't Violet sleep at night?
3. Where does Violet go when she finds out about Joe's affair?
4. What is the 1917 parade protesting?
5. What does Joe think about Adam and the Garden of Eden?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Five, what does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
2. In Chapter Five, how does the author describe Harlem in the springtime?
3. In what ways does Alice try to protect Dorcas?
4. What is the story the narrator gives behind Joe's last name?
5. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
6. What is the significance of Dorcas's clothespin dolls in Chapter Three?
7. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
8. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
9. Briefly describe the nature of Joe and Dorcas's relationship as described in Chapter Two.
10. How does Violet learn more about Dorcas in Chapter One? What does she learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between True Belle and Vera Louise Gray. Do the events they share bring them together or pull them apart? How does each of their relationships with Golden Gray compare to the other?
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about Dorcas's clothespin dolls? What role do they play throughout Dorcas's life? Why do you think Morrison chooses this particular symbol?
Essay Topic 3
How is Violet described in the initial portion of the novel? Do you think this is a fair description of Violet's character? Why or why not?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)