|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who moves to Chicago?
2. How does Violet decide to get back at Joe?
3. Who does the best hunter choose to be his apprentices?
4. What does Joe see in Dorcas's picture?
5. Who understands, like Joe, what it feels like to feel nothing inside?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, why does Joe get a new job? Does this help his relationship with Violet?
2. How does the narrator describe Acton?
3. Describe Acton's reaction to the shooting of Dorcas in Chapter Eight.
4. Describe the way True Belle's grandchildren are living when she comes to care for them in Chapter Six.
5. In Chapter Two, what does Joe tell Dorcas that he never tells Violet?
6. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
7. In Chapter Nine, why does Felice come to visit Violet and Joe?
8. How does Violet learn more about Dorcas in Chapter One? What does she learn?
9. Describe the initial meeting between Golden Gray and his father in Chapter Seven.
10. Describe Vera Louise's father's reaction when he is told Vera Louise is pregnant.
Essay Topic 1
Why does Violet decide she never wants to have children? What impact does this have on her marriage? How does her desire to have children change throughout the book and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of Malvonne's presence in Morrison's novel. What does the character of Malvonne add to the plot? What is the story like if Morrison does not include such an antagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Joe and Violet move from the country to the city? What reasons does Joe give for the move? Do you think these reasons are accurate? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)