|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malvonne find behind her refrigerator?
2. What does Joe wipe his tears with?
3. What does Joe see in Dorcas's picture?
4. Who moves to Chicago?
5. Which of the following are in Violet's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Two, recount the surprise that Malvonne finds behind her refrigerator and her response to it.
2. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
3. Describe Joe's recollection of the train ride to Maryland in Chapter Two.
4. Describe what Violet does with the picture of Dorcas in Chapter One.
5. Briefly describe the nature of Joe and Dorcas's relationship as described in Chapter Two.
6. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
7. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
8. Describe how Dorcas's mother dies.
9. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
10. Describe Violet's "crazy episodes" as they are presented in Chapter One.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Violet and Dorcas. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of Golden Gray in Violet's life. How does it affect her childhood as well as her marriage with Joe?
Essay Topic 3
What impact do you think Alice Manfred has on Dorcas? Do you think Dorcas is the same sort of person id she is not being raised by Alice? Why or why not?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)