|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Violet after she attacks Dorcas's body?
2. What happens to Dorcas's mother?
3. What does Joe think about Violet's crazy episodes?
4. What is True Belle's relationship to Violet?
5. What does Malvonne do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Four, how does the narrator describe the way Violet feels after she attacks Dorcas's body?
2. Describe Violet's "crazy episodes" as they are presented in Chapter One.
3. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
4. In what ways does Alice try to protect Dorcas?
5. Describe the time Joe sees Dorcas for the very first time.
6. What is the significance of Dorcas's clothespin dolls in Chapter Three?
7. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
8. Briefly describe the nature of Joe and Dorcas's relationship as described in Chapter Two.
9. Describe Joe's recollection of the train ride to Maryland in Chapter Two.
10. How does Violet learn more about Dorcas in Chapter One? What does she learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Joe and Violet move from the country to the city? What reasons does Joe give for the move? Do you think these reasons are accurate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Violet decide she never wants to have children? What impact does this have on her marriage? How does her desire to have children change throughout the book and why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Morrison introduce the topic of sexism in her book? How do sexist attitudes impact the wives of both female and male characters?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)