|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives with Joe on Lenox Avenue?
2. What happens the same day Dorcas's mother is burned in the house fire?
3. What does Violet steal during one of her crazy episodes?
4. Who does Alice eventually allow to come visit her at home?
5. Where does Violet stop to have two malts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the death of Dorcas's mother.
2. Describe how Dorcas's mother dies.
3. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
4. Describe Violet's "crazy episodes" as they are presented in Chapter One.
5. How does the narrator describe the way Joe and Violet meet in Chapter Four?
6. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
7. In Chapter Two, what does Joe tell Dorcas that he never tells Violet?
8. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
9. How does the narrator describe Harlem of the 1920s in Chapter One?
10. In Chapter Four, how does the narrator describe the way Violet feels after she attacks Dorcas's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Morrison includes the confrontation between Golden Gray and his father? What purpose does the scene serve? Do you think the reader has just as thorough an understanding of the characters without this description of events?
Essay Topic 2
How do you describe the development of the relationship between Alice and Violet? Why do you think Violet is so determined to befriend Alice? What benefits do both women derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
The mothers of Violet, Joe, and Dorcas die tragically, abandon their children, or kill themselves. Why do you think Morrison includes this similarity between these three characters? What does the loss of one's mother symbolize? Do you think it effectively unites the characters, or does it pull them apart?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)