|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Dorcas's clothespin dolls lay?
2. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
3. What happens to Violet's mother after her father leaves the family?
4. What does Malvonne do for a living?
5. What does Joe think about Violet's crazy episodes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Two, what reason does the narrator give for Joe killing Dorcas?
2. What is the significance of Dorcas's clothespin dolls in Chapter Three?
3. How does the narrator describe Harlem of the 1920s in Chapter One?
4. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
5. Describe what Violet does with the picture of Dorcas in Chapter One.
6. In Chapter Two, what does Joe tell Dorcas that he never tells Violet?
7. Describe Violet's "crazy episodes" as they are presented in Chapter One.
8. What is the story the narrator gives behind Joe's last name?
9. Briefly describe the nature of Joe and Dorcas's relationship as described in Chapter Two.
10. In Chapter Four, how does the narrator describe the way Violet feels after she attacks Dorcas's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of Malvonne's presence in Morrison's novel. What does the character of Malvonne add to the plot? What is the story like if Morrison does not include such an antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of Golden Gray in Violet's life. How does it affect her childhood as well as her marriage with Joe?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Morrison includes the confrontation between Golden Gray and his father? What purpose does the scene serve? Do you think the reader has just as thorough an understanding of the characters without this description of events?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)