|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe think about Adam and the Garden of Eden?
2. Who does the best hunter choose to be his apprentices?
3. What is the 1917 parade protesting?
4. What is special about Neola Miller?
5. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the scene in which Violet attacks Dorcas's body?
2. In Chapter Four, how does the narrator describe the way Violet feels after she attacks Dorcas's body?
3. Why does Dorcas break up with Joe?
4. Describe how Dorcas's mother dies.
5. In Chapter Two, what reason does the narrator give for Joe killing Dorcas?
6. In Chapter Seven, why does Joe think Wild is his own mother?
7. Who are the only people who do not know that Vera Louise has a son with a black man?
8. How does the narrator describe Acton?
9. In Chapter Eight, what does Dorcas notice about Joe?
10. Describe the initial meeting between Golden Gray and his father in Chapter Seven.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of Malvonne's presence in Morrison's novel. What does the character of Malvonne add to the plot? What is the story like if Morrison does not include such an antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
How do you describe the development of the relationship between Alice and Violet? Why do you think Violet is so determined to befriend Alice? What benefits do both women derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
The mothers of Violet, Joe, and Dorcas die tragically, abandon their children, or kill themselves. Why do you think Morrison includes this similarity between these three characters? What does the loss of one's mother symbolize? Do you think it effectively unites the characters, or does it pull them apart?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)