|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe not recall from his early days with Violet?
2. What happens when Dorcas eats candy?
3. Where does Dorcas insist Joe take her?
4. Why does Joe begin tracking Dorcas down with a gun?
5. Who rents Joe and Dorcas a bedroom once a week?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way Dorcas is feeling at the party in the beginning of Chapter Eight.
2. In Chapter Eight, why does the narrator say Dorcas is getting tired of Joe?
3. In what ways does Alice try to protect Dorcas?
4. Describe the birthing scene of the naked black girl in Chapter Seven.
5. In Chapter Five, what does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
6. In Chapter Four, how does the narrator describe the way Violet feels after she attacks Dorcas's body?
7. Describe Joe's recollection of the train ride to Maryland in Chapter Two.
8. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
9. Why do Joe and Violet fall into such deep debt in Chapter Five?
10. What does Vera Louise's mother do when she finds out Vera Louise is pregnant?
Essay Topic 1
What impact do you think Alice Manfred has on Dorcas? Do you think Dorcas is the same sort of person id she is not being raised by Alice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Morrison includes the confrontation between Golden Gray and his father? What purpose does the scene serve? Do you think the reader has just as thorough an understanding of the characters without this description of events?
Essay Topic 3
How is Violet described in the initial portion of the novel? Do you think this is a fair description of Violet's character? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)