|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Violet described by the author?
2. What happens to Violet's mother after her father leaves the family?
3. What does Dorcas rescue from her home as a small child?
4. What happens the same day Dorcas's mother is burned in the house fire?
5. What does the author suppose Violet does while Joe is looking out the window and crying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the nature of Joe and Dorcas's relationship as described in Chapter Two.
2. Describe what Violet does with the picture of Dorcas in Chapter One.
3. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
4. In Chapter Five, how does the author describe Harlem in the springtime?
5. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
6. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
7. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
8. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
9. How does the narrator describe the way Joe and Violet meet in Chapter Four?
10. In what ways does Alice try to protect Dorcas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of Malvonne's presence in Morrison's novel. What does the character of Malvonne add to the plot? What is the story like if Morrison does not include such an antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Felice has a strong attachment to the ring Dorcas is buried wearing. What does the ring signify, and why is it so important to Felice? What greater concepts are initiated in the story about the ring?
Essay Topic 3
What impact do you think Alice Manfred has on Dorcas? Do you think Dorcas is the same sort of person id she is not being raised by Alice? Why or why not?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)