|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorcas rescue from her home as a small child?
2. What type of Dorcas's makeup does Violet find out about?
3. What happens the same day Dorcas's mother is burned in the house fire?
4. How does the white men refer to the best hunter?
5. Who does Dorcas cry for during her mother's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joe's recollection of the train ride to Maryland in Chapter Two.
2. Describe Violet's "crazy episodes" as they are presented in Chapter One.
3. Describe the death of Dorcas's mother.
4. In Chapter Five, how does the author describe Harlem in the springtime?
5. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
6. Briefly describe the nature of Joe and Dorcas's relationship as described in Chapter Two.
7. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
8. In Chapter Four, why does True Belle come to Virginia to care for her grandchildren?
9. Describe the time Joe sees Dorcas for the very first time.
10. Describe how Dorcas's mother dies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Felice has a strong attachment to the ring Dorcas is buried wearing. What does the ring signify, and why is it so important to Felice? What greater concepts are initiated in the story about the ring?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Joe and Violet move from the country to the city? What reasons does Joe give for the move? Do you think these reasons are accurate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Violet and Dorcas. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)