|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the white men refer to the best hunter?
2. What is the reaction from Joe's friends and family when he and Violet move to the city?
3. Why is Dorcas rejected by teenage boys her own age?
4. Who does Dorcas stay with when Alice goes to work?
5. Why does Joe begin tracking Dorcas down with a gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Violet does with the picture of Dorcas in Chapter One.
2. Briefly describe the nature of Joe and Dorcas's relationship as described in Chapter Two.
3. How does the narrator describe the way Joe and Violet meet in Chapter Four?
4. Describe the time Joe sees Dorcas for the very first time.
5. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
6. In Chapter Four, why does True Belle come to Virginia to care for her grandchildren?
7. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
8. Why do Joe and Violet fall into such deep debt in Chapter Five?
9. Describe Joe's recollection of the train ride to Maryland in Chapter Two.
10. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is racism explored and conveyed in Morrison's work? Why do you think Morrison writes about it in this way?
Essay Topic 2
How do you describe the development of the relationship between Alice and Violet? Why do you think Violet is so determined to befriend Alice? What benefits do both women derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
How do the stories of Dorcas's death differ as they are told by Joe, Dorcas, and Felice? What aspects are the same? How do the differences in perception accentuate the difference between these three characters?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)