|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Violet stop to have two malts?
2. How does Violet meet Joe?
3. Why does Joe want to stay near Dorcas after he shoots her?
4. What does Violet find in the bottom of the parrot's cage?
5. What does the author suppose Violet does while Joe is looking out the window and crying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Violet learn more about Dorcas in Chapter One? What does she learn?
2. In Chapter Five, what does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
3. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
4. Why do Joe and Violet fall into such deep debt in Chapter Five?
5. In Chapter Four, how does the narrator describe the way Violet feels after she attacks Dorcas's body?
6. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
7. Describe Violet's "crazy episodes" as they are presented in Chapter One.
8. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
9. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
10. Describe how Dorcas's mother dies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briefly summarize the incident when Malvonne finds the mail behind the refrigerator. What does she do in response? Why does she spend time doing these sorts of things, and what irony do you find in the events?
Essay Topic 2
How is Violet described in the initial portion of the novel? Do you think this is a fair description of Violet's character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is racism explored and conveyed in Morrison's work? Why do you think Morrison writes about it in this way?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)