|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is special about Neola Miller?
2. What do Violet and Joe do all night the first time they meet?
3. What does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
4. What does Alice protect Dorcas from?
5. What does Joe take with him to the park?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Violet does with the picture of Dorcas in Chapter One.
2. Describe the time Joe sees Dorcas for the very first time.
3. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
4. Why do Joe and Violet fall into such deep debt in Chapter Five?
5. How does the narrator describe the way Joe and Violet meet in Chapter Four?
6. How does the narrator describe the scene in which Violet attacks Dorcas's body?
7. How does Violet learn more about Dorcas in Chapter One? What does she learn?
8. How does the narrator describe Harlem of the 1920s in Chapter One?
9. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
10. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism Morrison includes in her novel of Violet releasing the birds? What events lead up to this, and how is Violet different afterward?
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about Dorcas's clothespin dolls? What role do they play throughout Dorcas's life? Why do you think Morrison chooses this particular symbol?
Essay Topic 3
Felice has a strong attachment to the ring Dorcas is buried wearing. What does the ring signify, and why is it so important to Felice? What greater concepts are initiated in the story about the ring?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)