|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rose Dear eventually die?
2. What does the train conductor announce when he walks through the cabin where Joe and Violet are standing?
3. What does Violet try to do to Dorcas's face?
4. What does Violet find in the bottom of the parrot's cage?
5. Who does Joe pray sends him a sign as he sits in the bushes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the nature of Joe and Dorcas's relationship as described in Chapter Two.
2. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
3. In Chapter Five, what does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
4. In Chapter Five, how does the author describe Harlem in the springtime?
5. In Chapter Two, what does Joe tell Dorcas that he never tells Violet?
6. How does the narrator describe the scene in which Violet attacks Dorcas's body?
7. Describe the death of Dorcas's mother.
8. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
9. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
10. In Chapter Four, why does True Belle come to Virginia to care for her grandchildren?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Joe and Violet move from the country to the city? What reasons does Joe give for the move? Do you think these reasons are accurate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The title of the work is "Jazz." Why does Morrison choose such a title for this book? What is the significance of jazz music in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of Golden Gray in Violet's life. How does it affect her childhood as well as her marriage with Joe?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)