|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much debt does Joe and Violet have on the land?
2. Why is Violet committed to gaining weight?
3. What is the 1917 parade protesting?
4. What does Violet try to do to Dorcas's face?
5. What does Dorcas rescue from her home as a small child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
2. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
3. What is the significance of Dorcas's clothespin dolls in Chapter Three?
4. How does Violet learn more about Dorcas in Chapter One? What does she learn?
5. Briefly describe the nature of Joe and Dorcas's relationship as described in Chapter Two.
6. In Chapter Four, how does Violet imagine Joe's relationship with Dorcas?
7. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
8. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
9. What is the story the narrator gives behind Joe's last name?
10. Describe how Dorcas's mother dies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mothers of Violet, Joe, and Dorcas die tragically, abandon their children, or kill themselves. Why do you think Morrison includes this similarity between these three characters? What does the loss of one's mother symbolize? Do you think it effectively unites the characters, or does it pull them apart?
Essay Topic 2
What impact do you think Alice Manfred has on Dorcas? Do you think Dorcas is the same sort of person id she is not being raised by Alice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Violet decide she never wants to have children? What impact does this have on her marriage? How does her desire to have children change throughout the book and why?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)