|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe take with him to the park?
2. Why is Joe jealous of the young men on the street?
3. What area does the author describe in springtime?
4. How much does Joe pay for the bedroom he and Dorcas meet in?
5. Why does Joe want to stay near Dorcas after he shoots her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story the narrator gives behind Joe's last name?
2. Briefly describe the nature of Joe and Dorcas's relationship as described in Chapter Two.
3. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
4. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
5. How does the narrator describe the scene in which Violet attacks Dorcas's body?
6. How does Violet learn more about Dorcas in Chapter One? What does she learn?
7. In Chapter Two, recount the surprise that Malvonne finds behind her refrigerator and her response to it.
8. Why do Joe and Violet fall into such deep debt in Chapter Five?
9. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
10. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact do you think Alice Manfred has on Dorcas? Do you think Dorcas is the same sort of person id she is not being raised by Alice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Violet and Dorcas. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism Morrison includes in her novel of Violet releasing the birds? What events lead up to this, and how is Violet different afterward?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)