|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is special about Neola Miller?
2. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
3. What does Violet see in Dorcas's picture?
4. What does Joe think about Adam and the Garden of Eden?
5. What is True Belle's relationship to Violet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Dorcas's mother dies.
2. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
3. In Chapter Four, why does True Belle come to Virginia to care for her grandchildren?
4. In Chapter Two, what does Joe tell Dorcas that he never tells Violet?
5. Describe the death of Dorcas's mother.
6. Describe Joe's recollection of the train ride to Maryland in Chapter Two.
7. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
8. Why do Joe and Violet fall into such deep debt in Chapter Five?
9. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
10. In Chapter Five, how does the author describe Harlem in the springtime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is racism explored and conveyed in Morrison's work? Why do you think Morrison writes about it in this way?
Essay Topic 2
How do the stories of Dorcas's death differ as they are told by Joe, Dorcas, and Felice? What aspects are the same? How do the differences in perception accentuate the difference between these three characters?
Essay Topic 3
How do you describe the development of the relationship between Alice and Violet? Why do you think Violet is so determined to befriend Alice? What benefits do both women derive from the relationship?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)