|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malvonne find behind her refrigerator?
2. What does Dorcas rescue from her home as a small child?
3. What type of Dorcas's makeup does Violet find out about?
4. What does Alice Manfred do for a living?
5. What does Joe take with him to the park?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
2. How does the narrator describe Harlem of the 1920s in Chapter One?
3. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
4. Describe what Violet does with the picture of Dorcas in Chapter One.
5. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
6. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
7. Describe Joe's recollection of the train ride to Maryland in Chapter Two.
8. In Chapter Five, what does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
9. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
10. In what ways does Alice try to protect Dorcas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the work is "Jazz." Why does Morrison choose such a title for this book? What is the significance of jazz music in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
How is Violet described in the initial portion of the novel? Do you think this is a fair description of Violet's character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of Golden Gray in Violet's life. How does it affect her childhood as well as her marriage with Joe?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)