|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joe pray sends him a sign as he sits in the bushes?
2. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
3. Who does Alice eventually allow to come visit her at home?
4. What does Dorcas rescue from her home as a small child?
5. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
2. How does the narrator describe the scene in which Violet attacks Dorcas's body?
3. In Chapter Two, what reason does the narrator give for Joe killing Dorcas?
4. How does the narrator describe Harlem of the 1920s in Chapter One?
5. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
6. How does the narrator describe the way Joe and Violet meet in Chapter Four?
7. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
8. How does Violet learn more about Dorcas in Chapter One? What does she learn?
9. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
10. Briefly describe the nature of Joe and Dorcas's relationship as described in Chapter Two.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of Malvonne's presence in Morrison's novel. What does the character of Malvonne add to the plot? What is the story like if Morrison does not include such an antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Briefly summarize the incident when Malvonne finds the mail behind the refrigerator. What does she do in response? Why does she spend time doing these sorts of things, and what irony do you find in the events?
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about Dorcas's clothespin dolls? What role do they play throughout Dorcas's life? Why do you think Morrison chooses this particular symbol?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)