|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
2. How is Violet described by the author?
3. What does Malvonne include in the letter from Hot Steam to Daddy Sage?
4. Where does Violet's father travel to look for work?
5. What does Violet wear that makes her look crazy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
2. Briefly describe the nature of Joe and Dorcas's relationship as described in Chapter Two.
3. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
4. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
5. In Chapter Four, how does Violet imagine Joe's relationship with Dorcas?
6. How does the narrator describe the scene in which Violet attacks Dorcas's body?
7. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
8. Describe what Violet does with the picture of Dorcas in Chapter One.
9. What is the story the narrator gives behind Joe's last name?
10. In Chapter Four, why does True Belle come to Virginia to care for her grandchildren?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of Malvonne's presence in Morrison's novel. What does the character of Malvonne add to the plot? What is the story like if Morrison does not include such an antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about Dorcas's clothespin dolls? What role do they play throughout Dorcas's life? Why do you think Morrison chooses this particular symbol?
Essay Topic 3
Briefly summarize the incident when Malvonne finds the mail behind the refrigerator. What does she do in response? Why does she spend time doing these sorts of things, and what irony do you find in the events?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)