|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Joe and Violet take up on the roof with them?
(a) A record player.
(b) A bird.
(c) A photograph.
(d) A picnic.
2. What does Joe find near the cooking fire?
(a) Flour, sugar, and water.
(b) Knives and guns.
(c) Rope, wood, nails, and a hammer.
(d) A dress, a doll, and a cigar case.
3. What sort of birth does the naked pregnant girl have?
(a) A difficult one.
(b) An easy, short one.
(c) An uneventful one.
(d) The girl leaves the cabin while she is in labor, so the reader doesn't know.
4. What is the reason Golden Gray comes to see Lestory?
(a) To understand more about his heritage.
(b) To invite his father to come live with him.
(c) To ask his father for money.
(d) To see how black he is.
5. Who tells Felice and her mother they must stop trying on rings?
(a) Felice's father.
(b) A white man in a nice suit.
(c) A little girl.
(d) The president of Tiffany's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Felice tell the Traces about Dorcas?
2. At the end of the story, what do Joe and Violet do together?
3. Who tells Golden Gray where his father lives?
4. Why does Dorcas think she is falling at the party?
5. Who does Joe think is his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Violet sees when she first spots Felice in Chapter Nine.
2. What does Vera Louise's mother do when she finds out Vera Louise is pregnant?
3. Describe the relationship between True Belle and Golden Gray.
4. Describe the way Dorcas is feeling at the party in the beginning of Chapter Eight.
5. Who are the only people who do not know that Vera Louise has a son with a black man?
6. In Chapter 10, why do Joe and Violet often go to the roof? What do they do up there together?
7. In Chapter Nine, why does Felice come to visit Violet and Joe?
8. What happens to the cotton plantation thirteen years after Golden Gray confronts his father?
9. Describe what Joe and Violet do together at night in Chapter 10.
10. Describe the way True Belle's grandchildren are living when she comes to care for them in Chapter Six.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)