|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Violet offer to do to Felice's hair?
(a) Trim the ends.
(b) Wash it.
(c) Unbraid it.
(d) Curl it.
2. What does Lestory say in response to Golden Gray?
(a) He cries and embraces Golden Gray.
(b) He falls down and faints.
(c) He doesn't know he has a child.
(d) He wants Golden Gray to leave his property as soon as possible.
3. How long does True Belle stay with the children?
(a) Six days.
(b) Eleven years.
(c) About a year.
(d) Three years.
4. What does Dorcas notice about Joe when he shoots her?
(a) He looks like her father.
(b) He is crying.
(c) He is unrecognizable.
(d) He looks insane.
5. How does the author describe Acton's appearance from Dorcas's point of view?
(a) He is handsome and his hair has no gray in it.
(b) He is plain-looking, but has thick hair.
(c) There is no description of Acton's physical appearance.
(d) He is tall and athletic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Joe and Violet go up on the roof together?
2. What does Rose tell people about why her husband leaves?
3. What does True Belle sew to the hem of her dress?
4. What does Felice compare Dorcas to?
5. What is the true reason Dorcas breaks up with Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the cotton plantation thirteen years after Golden Gray confronts his father?
2. How does the narrator describe Acton?
3. In Chapter 10, why does Joe get a new job? Does this help his relationship with Violet?
4. In Chapter Seven, what does Henry Lestory find when he gets back to his cabin?
5. In Chapter Seven, how does Henry say you can always find Wild?
6. In Chapter 10, why do Joe and Violet often go to the roof? What do they do up there together?
7. Describe Acton's reaction to the shooting of Dorcas in Chapter Eight.
8. Describe the initial meeting between Golden Gray and his father in Chapter Seven.
9. In Chapter Seven, why does Joe think Wild is his own mother?
10. Describe the way Dorcas is feeling at the party in the beginning of Chapter Eight.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)