|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lestory say in response to Golden Gray?
(a) He wants Golden Gray to leave his property as soon as possible.
(b) He falls down and faints.
(c) He cries and embraces Golden Gray.
(d) He doesn't know he has a child.
2. What does True Belle sew to the hem of her dress?
(a) A one-dollar bill.
(b) Her fine silver.
(c) Twenty-two years' wages.
(d) A picture of her daughter.
3. What does Rose tell people about why her husband leaves?
(a) He is very sick and has to get professional help.
(b) He is going to college in New York City.
(c) He is running from the police.
(d) He is fed up with the price of coffee and his daughter's physical ailments.
4. What is inside Joe's sample case in Chapter Eight?
(a) Dorcas's clothespin dolls.
(b) A red handkerchief.
(d) Drugs and guns.
5. What sort of person does Dorcas want to be with?
(a) Someone funny and generous.
(b) Someone young and admirable.
(c) Someone older and refined.
(d) Someone sweet and caring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Golden Gray ask Lestory?
2. How is Felice's ring described?
3. Who doesn't want an ambulance to be called after Joe shot Dorcas?
4. How long does True Belle stay with the children?
5. How does Golden Gray become drunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Eight, why does the narrator say Dorcas is getting tired of Joe?
2. In Chapter Eight, what does Dorcas notice about Joe?
3. Describe what Violet sees when she first spots Felice in Chapter Nine.
4. How does the narrator describe Acton?
5. What happens to the cotton plantation thirteen years after Golden Gray confronts his father?
6. Describe what Joe and Violet do together at night in Chapter 10.
7. What is your understanding of the relationship between Joe, Violet, and Felice in Chapters Nine and Ten?
8. Who are the only people who do not know that Vera Louise has a son with a black man?
9. In Chapter Seven, what does Henry Lestory find when he gets back to his cabin?
10. Describe the way Felice obtains the ring, as presented by the narrator in Chapter Nine.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)