|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dorcas like Acton better than Joe?
(a) He is more handsome and funnier.
(b) He is rich and talented.
(c) He doesn't abuse her like Joe.
(d) He is young and has power over her.
2. Why is Felice's ring so special to her?
(a) Her mother gives it to her.
(b) It symbolizes her friendship with Dorcas.
(c) It is the only thing of monetary value she owns.
(d) Her first husband buys it for her.
3. What does Joe find behind a hibiscus bush?
(a) A burrow.
(b) Dorcas's old dress.
(c) A picture of his grandmother.
(d) A parrot.
4. Who does Dorcas tell her friends attacks her?
(a) She does not tell them.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her brother.
5. How is Felice's ring described?
(a) Silver and black opal.
(b) Turquoise and coral.
(c) Rhinestones and white gold.
(d) Silver and gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the story, what do Joe and Violet do together?
2. What do Joe and Violet take up on the roof with them?
3. Why do Felice and her mother go to Tiffany's?
4. During what season does Violet return the photo to Alice?
5. Why does Joe get a job at the speakeasy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Joe and Violet do together at night in Chapter 10.
2. Why doesn't Dorcas want anyone to call an ambulance for her after she is shot?
3. Describe the way Felice obtains the ring, as presented by the narrator in Chapter Nine.
4. Describe Acton's reaction to the shooting of Dorcas in Chapter Eight.
5. In Chapter 10, why do Joe and Violet often go to the roof? What do they do up there together?
6. In Chapter Eight, what does Dorcas notice about Joe?
7. Describe the initial meeting between Golden Gray and his father in Chapter Seven.
8. Who are the only people who do not know that Vera Louise has a son with a black man?
9. Describe what Golden Gray sees in the forest as he approaches his father's cabin in Chapter Six.
10. Describe the way True Belle's grandchildren are living when she comes to care for them in Chapter Six.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)