|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Golden Gray find in the trees near his father's home?
(a) A large sum of money.
(b) A dying dog.
(c) A naked pregnant woman.
(d) A rare flower.
2. What sort of birth does the naked pregnant girl have?
(a) A difficult one.
(b) An uneventful one.
(c) An easy, short one.
(d) The girl leaves the cabin while she is in labor, so the reader doesn't know.
3. Why does Malvonne gossip to both Joe and Violet near the end of the story?
(a) To tell them all of Dorcas's secrets.
(b) To pretend she doesn't betray either of them.
(c) She wants to help them resolve their differences.
(d) Because everyone is bored.
4. What does Vera Louise do with True Belle's wages?
(a) Gives them to local servants.
(b) Gives them to her for Christmas.
(c) Keeps them "in trust" for her.
(d) Spends them on the baby.
5. Why does Joe want to find Dorcas again?
(a) So he can tell her all about his childhood.
(b) So they are happy together again.
(c) So he can divorce Violet and run away.
(d) So she is safe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dorcas feeling as she is dancing with Acton?
2. At the end of the story, what do Joe and Violet do together?
3. As Golden Gray approaches his father's house, what does he wish to do to his father?
4. Why does Alice move back to Springfield?
5. Who does Dorcas tell her friends attacks her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dorcas break up with Joe?
2. Describe the way Dorcas is feeling at the party in the beginning of Chapter Eight.
3. In Chapter Eight, what does Dorcas notice about Joe?
4. Describe the way True Belle's grandchildren are living when she comes to care for them in Chapter Six.
5. What sorts of things to Joe and Violet do together once their relationship is renewed?
6. Why doesn't Dorcas want anyone to call an ambulance for her after she is shot?
7. Describe what Golden Gray sees in the forest as he approaches his father's cabin in Chapter Six.
8. Describe the way Felice obtains the ring, as presented by the narrator in Chapter Nine.
9. Why do you think the ambulance takes such a long time to come help Dorcas? What excuses do they give?
10. What happens to the cotton plantation thirteen years after Golden Gray confronts his father?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)