|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wipes the blood from the woman's face?
(a) A young black boy caring for Lestory's stock.
(b) Golden Gray.
(c) An unidentified character.
(d) The woman wipes her own face.
2. Who else is at the party with Dorcas and Acton?
(a) Political figures.
(b) Wealthy black folk.
(c) Other young adults.
(d) Acton's parents.
3. Why does Dorcas have to be careful about how she looks and acts around Acton?
(a) He moves on to another girl.
(b) He suspects she is not really in love with him.
(c) He demoralizes her and hit her.
(d) He has the power to make or break her career.
4. Who does Dorcas tell her friends attacks her?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her brother.
(d) She does not tell them.
5. What does Golden Gray find in the trees near his father's home?
(a) A large sum of money.
(b) A rare flower.
(c) A naked pregnant woman.
(d) A dying dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Joe or Violet do after supper near the end of the story?
2. Why does Dorcas think she is falling at the party?
3. What does Golden Gray cover the woman's body with?
4. How old is Joe when the plantation burns?
5. As Golden Gray approaches his father's house, what does he wish to do to his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Joe and Violet do together at night in Chapter 10.
2. What does Vera Louise's mother do when she finds out Vera Louise is pregnant?
3. In Chapter Seven, why does Joe think Wild is his own mother?
4. What is your understanding of the relationship between Joe, Violet, and Felice in Chapters Nine and Ten?
5. Describe the relationship between True Belle and Golden Gray.
6. Who are the only people who do not know that Vera Louise has a son with a black man?
7. Describe Acton's reaction to the shooting of Dorcas in Chapter Eight.
8. Describe the way Felice obtains the ring, as presented by the narrator in Chapter Nine.
9. Why do you think the ambulance takes such a long time to come help Dorcas? What excuses do they give?
10. Describe what Golden Gray sees in the forest as he approaches his father's cabin in Chapter Six.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)