|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malvonne find behind her refrigerator?
(a) A box of money.
(b) An old diamond ring.
(c) A coin collection.
(d) A sack of stolen mail.
2. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
(a) Chinese food.
(b) An adopted baby.
3. What does the author suppose Violet does while Joe is looking out the window and crying?
(a) Set his hair on fire.
(b) Pack up her belongings and leave.
(c) Cook breakfast for him.
(d) Put her arms around him and comfort him.
4. What does Joe take with him to the park?
(a) A sandwich and his gun.
(b) His walking cane.
(c) A picture of Dorcas.
(d) His sample case of cosmetics.
5. What happens when Dorcas eats candy?
(a) She breaks out.
(b) She becomes bloated.
(c) She gets hives.
(d) She becomes depressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Violet put the picture of Dorcas?
2. How does Alice describe Dorcas?
3. Why do the Miller sisters call the police station repeatedly?
4. What does the train conductor announce when he walks through the cabin where Joe and Violet are standing?
5. How is Alice Manfred related to Dorcas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story the narrator gives behind Joe's last name?
2. Why do Joe and Violet fall into such deep debt in Chapter Five?
3. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
4. In Chapter Five, what does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
5. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
6. How does the narrator describe the scene in which Violet attacks Dorcas's body?
7. Describe the time Joe sees Dorcas for the very first time.
8. Describe Joe's recollection of the train ride to Maryland in Chapter Two.
9. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
10. Describe how Dorcas's mother dies.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)