|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Violet's mother after her father leaves the family?
(a) She remarries and becomes abusive.
(b) She earns an education.
(c) She becomes incapacitated.
(d) She becomes insane and tries to kill her children.
2. What happens to Dorcas's mother?
(a) She runs away to Mexico.
(b) She dies in a housefire.
(c) She gradually becomes insane.
(d) She is killed by a boyfriend.
3. How does Rose Dear eventually die?
(a) She dies of a heart attack.
(b) No one is sure.
(c) She convinces her boyfriend to kill her.
(d) She throws herself down a well.
4. Why doesn't Violet sleep at night?
(a) She sleeps too much during the day.
(b) She is awakened by nightmares.
(c) The birds are gone.
(d) Joe snores loudly.
5. What does Joe wipe his tears with?
(a) A red handkerchief.
(c) Dorcas's picture.
(d) His hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Violet go when she finds out about Joe's affair?
2. What does Violet see in Dorcas's picture?
3. What does Violet do in response to her crazy episodes?
4. How does Violet decide to get back at Joe?
5. Who does Alice eventually allow to come visit her at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
2. Describe Violet's "crazy episodes" as they are presented in Chapter One.
3. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
4. In Chapter Five, what does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
5. In Chapter Two, what reason does the narrator give for Joe killing Dorcas?
6. Why do Joe and Violet fall into such deep debt in Chapter Five?
7. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
8. How does Violet learn more about Dorcas in Chapter One? What does she learn?
9. In Chapter Two, what does Joe tell Dorcas that he never tells Violet?
10. In what ways does Alice try to protect Dorcas?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)