|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Violet put the picture of Dorcas?
(a) On the mantel.
(b) Under Joe's pillow.
(c) On the front door.
(d) In the oven.
2. What does Alice Manfred do for a living?
(a) Cleans wealthy people's homes.
(b) She is a seamstress.
(c) She is a nurse for a black doctor.
(d) Cooks in a nearby restaurant.
3. What does Dorcas put on Joe's hands?
(a) Cream and clear nail polish.
(b) Aloe vera.
(c) White paint.
(d) Butter and sugar.
4. How does Violet meet Joe?
(a) They grow up in the same church together.
(b) They are both lost while trying to get to Chicago.
(c) He falls out of tree she is sleeping under.
(d) They go on a blind date.
5. What does Violet wear that makes her look crazy?
(a) Long stockings.
(b) A hat.
(d) An overcoat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Violet committed to gaining weight?
2. Where does Dorcas insist Joe take her?
3. What is Joe selling when he meets Dorcas?
4. How much does Joe pay for the bedroom he and Dorcas meet in?
5. What does Joe think about Adam and the Garden of Eden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the time Joe sees Dorcas for the very first time.
2. In Chapter Eight, what does Dorcas notice about Joe?
3. Describe the way Felice obtains the ring, as presented by the narrator in Chapter Nine.
4. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
5. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
6. Describe the relationship between True Belle and Golden Gray.
7. Describe the birthing scene of the naked black girl in Chapter Seven.
8. Describe what Joe and Violet do together at night in Chapter 10.
9. What does Vera Louise's mother do when she finds out Vera Louise is pregnant?
10. How does the narrator describe the way Joe and Violet meet in Chapter Four?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)