|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Alice Manfred related to Dorcas?
(a) Alice and Dorcas are second cousins.
(b) Alice and Dorcas are sisters.
(c) Alice is Dorcas's aunt.
(d) Dorcas is Alice's daughter.
2. Where does Violet put the picture of Dorcas?
(a) In the oven.
(b) On the front door.
(c) Under Joe's pillow.
(d) On the mantel.
3. What does Joe buy Dorcas the first day they meet?
(b) Peppermint candy.
(c) A horse.
(d) A dress.
4. What does Violet try to do to Dorcas's face?
(a) Make it look older.
(b) Disfigure it with a knife.
(c) Apply more makeup.
(d) Make it look younger.
5. What does Joe wipe his tears with?
(a) Dorcas's picture.
(b) His hands.
(c) A red handkerchief.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
2. What happens to Violet's mother after her father leaves the family?
3. What does Joe think about Adam and the Garden of Eden?
4. What does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
5. Who rents Joe and Dorcas a bedroom once a week?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
2. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
3. In Chapter Four, how does the narrator describe the way Violet feels after she attacks Dorcas's body?
4. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
5. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
6. In what ways does Alice try to protect Dorcas?
7. In Chapter Five, what does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
8. Describe the death of Dorcas's mother.
9. Describe how Dorcas's mother dies.
10. How does the narrator describe Harlem of the 1920s in Chapter One?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)