|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year does Joe and Violet move to the city?
(d) The author does not include a date.
2. Which of the following are in Violet's apartment?
(a) Birds and houseplants.
(b) Piles of newspapers.
(c) Dogs and cats.
(d) Shotguns and cocaine.
3. Where does Violet go when she finds out about Joe's affair?
(b) Under their bed.
(c) The funeral parlor.
(d) To her mother's house.
4. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
(a) Chinese food.
(c) An adopted baby.
5. What does Malvonne do for a living?
(a) Delivers newspapers.
(b) Cooks for neighbors.
(c) Cleans offices.
(d) Runs a daycare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe see in Dorcas's picture?
2. Who tells Violet Dorcas's address?
3. Who does Dorcas stay with when Alice goes to work?
4. What does Violet do after she runs from the funeral home?
5. How does Rose Dear eventually die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
2. Why do Joe and Violet fall into such deep debt in Chapter Five?
3. In Chapter Four, why does True Belle come to Virginia to care for her grandchildren?
4. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
5. What is the significance of Dorcas's clothespin dolls in Chapter Three?
6. How does the narrator describe the way Joe and Violet meet in Chapter Four?
7. How does the narrator describe Harlem of the 1920s in Chapter One?
8. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
9. Describe what Violet does with the picture of Dorcas in Chapter One.
10. How does Violet learn more about Dorcas in Chapter One? What does she learn?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)