|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Violet do in response to her crazy episodes?
(a) She becomes more and more silent.
(b) She writes in her journal.
(c) She becomes a musician.
(d) She goes to find a priest.
2. What does Joe wipe his tears with?
(a) Dorcas's picture.
(c) A red handkerchief.
(d) His hands.
3. How much debt does Joe and Violet have on the land?
(b) It is not clear.
4. What does Alice Manfred do for a living?
(a) She is a nurse for a black doctor.
(b) Cooks in a nearby restaurant.
(c) Cleans wealthy people's homes.
(d) She is a seamstress.
5. Why is Joe jealous of the young men on the street?
(a) They have living parents and loving wives.
(b) They do not have to worry about segregation and racism.
(c) They do not have to go searching for women.
(d) They have lots of money and good jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rose Dear eventually die?
2. What year does Joe and Violet move to the city?
3. Who moves to Chicago?
4. Who sits on every street corner, according to the author?
5. How does Alice describe Dorcas?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Two, recount the surprise that Malvonne finds behind her refrigerator and her response to it.
2. In Chapter Four, how does Violet imagine Joe's relationship with Dorcas?
3. How does Violet learn more about Dorcas in Chapter One? What does she learn?
4. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
5. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
6. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
7. In Chapter Two, what reason does the narrator give for Joe killing Dorcas?
8. Briefly describe the nature of Joe and Dorcas's relationship as described in Chapter Two.
9. How does the narrator describe the way Joe and Violet meet in Chapter Four?
10. What is the significance of Dorcas's clothespin dolls in Chapter Three?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)