|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Malvonne want to make sure the young black girl's letter gets to the law school?
(a) She is afraid she is reported for having stolen mail.
(b) The young black girl is Malvonne's daughter.
(c) She is threatened by the police.
(d) She is afraid the girl has to get a low-paying job instead.
2. Where does Dorcas insist Joe take her?
(a) A jazz club.
(b) New York City.
(c) The beauty parlor.
(d) The zoo.
3. Who does Dorcas stay with when Alice goes to work?
(a) The Miller sisters.
(b) No one.
(c) Joe's mother.
(d) True Belle.
4. What does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
(a) A sweet apple.
(b) A newborn cat.
(c) A strong axe.
(d) A babydoll.
5. What does Joe buy Dorcas the first day they meet?
(a) Peppermint candy.
(b) A dress.
(c) A horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet find in the bottom of the parrot's cage?
2. Who does the best hunter choose to be his apprentices?
3. Where does Violet stop to have two malts?
4. What happens to Violet's mother after her father leaves the family?
5. What is True Belle's relationship to Violet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Dorcas's mother dies.
2. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
3. How does the narrator describe the scene in which Violet attacks Dorcas's body?
4. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
5. In Chapter Four, why does True Belle come to Virginia to care for her grandchildren?
6. In Chapter Two, what does Joe tell Dorcas that he never tells Violet?
7. In Chapter Two, what reason does the narrator give for Joe killing Dorcas?
8. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
9. What is the story the narrator gives behind Joe's last name?
10. Describe what Violet does with the picture of Dorcas in Chapter One.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)