|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Violet find in the bottom of the parrot's cage?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A shoe.
(c) A knife.
(d) A pen.
2. Why doesn't Violet sleep at night?
(a) The birds are gone.
(b) Joe snores loudly.
(c) She sleeps too much during the day.
(d) She is awakened by nightmares.
3. What is special about Neola Miller?
(a) She is deaf.
(b) She is a genius.
(c) Her hair is bright yellow.
(d) Her left arm is paralyzed over her heart.
4. What type of Dorcas's makeup does Violet find out about?
5. What does the author suppose Violet does while Joe is looking out the window and crying?
(a) Put her arms around him and comfort him.
(b) Pack up her belongings and leave.
(c) Set his hair on fire.
(d) Cook breakfast for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe wipe his tears with?
2. What does Violet do when the cotton crop is harvested?
3. Who does Dorcas cry for during her mother's funeral?
4. What does Malvonne find behind her refrigerator?
5. Why does Malvonne want to make sure the young black girl's letter gets to the law school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the way Joe and Violet meet in Chapter Four?
2. Describe how Dorcas's mother dies.
3. Why do Joe and Violet fall into such deep debt in Chapter Five?
4. In Chapter Five, how does the author describe Harlem in the springtime?
5. In Chapter Four, how does the narrator describe the way Violet feels after she attacks Dorcas's body?
6. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
7. How does the narrator describe Harlem of the 1920s in Chapter One?
8. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
9. In Chapter Four, how does Violet imagine Joe's relationship with Dorcas?
10. In Chapter Four, why does True Belle come to Virginia to care for her grandchildren?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)