|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lives with Joe on Lenox Avenue?
(b) Golden Gray.
2. Who does Dorcas cry for during her mother's funeral?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her dolls.
(d) Her mother.
3. Why is Joe jealous of the young men on the street?
(a) They have living parents and loving wives.
(b) They have lots of money and good jobs.
(c) They do not have to go searching for women.
(d) They do not have to worry about segregation and racism.
4. What does Joe think about Adam and the Garden of Eden?
(a) He thinks Eve should never offer the fruit.
(b) He thinks it is all a made-up story.
(c) He thinks the apple is worth the expulsion.
(d) He thinks Adam is incredibly stupid.
5. What does Malvonne do for a living?
(a) Cleans offices.
(b) Delivers newspapers.
(c) Cooks for neighbors.
(d) Runs a daycare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorcas rescue from her home as a small child?
2. What does the train conductor announce when he walks through the cabin where Joe and Violet are standing?
3. What does Violet regret when she turns forty?
4. Which of the following are in Violet's apartment?
5. How does Violet meet Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Violet's "crazy episodes" as they are presented in Chapter One.
2. How does the narrator describe the way Joe and Violet meet in Chapter Four?
3. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
4. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
5. Describe the death of Dorcas's mother.
6. In Chapter Two, what reason does the narrator give for Joe killing Dorcas?
7. In Chapter Five, how does the author describe Harlem in the springtime?
8. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
9. In Chapter Four, how does the narrator describe the way Violet feels after she attacks Dorcas's body?
10. What is the significance of Dorcas's clothespin dolls in Chapter Three?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)