|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Dorcas's mother?
(a) She is killed by a boyfriend.
(b) She runs away to Mexico.
(c) She gradually becomes insane.
(d) She dies in a housefire.
2. Who does Dorcas stay with when Alice goes to work?
(a) The Miller sisters.
(b) Joe's mother.
(c) True Belle.
(d) No one.
3. What does Dorcas put on Joe's hands?
(a) Aloe vera.
(b) Butter and sugar.
(c) White paint.
(d) Cream and clear nail polish.
4. How does Violet meet Joe?
(a) They are both lost while trying to get to Chicago.
(b) He falls out of tree she is sleeping under.
(c) They go on a blind date.
(d) They grow up in the same church together.
5. Who does Dorcas cry for during her mother's funeral?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her dolls.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe think about Adam and the Garden of Eden?
2. How does the white men refer to the best hunter?
3. What happens when Dorcas eats candy?
4. Who understands, like Joe, what it feels like to feel nothing inside?
5. Why does Joe want to stay near Dorcas after he shoots her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
2. In Chapter Two, what does Joe tell Dorcas that he never tells Violet?
3. Describe the time Joe sees Dorcas for the very first time.
4. Describe what Violet does with the picture of Dorcas in Chapter One.
5. Why do you think the ambulance takes such a long time to come help Dorcas? What excuses do they give?
6. Describe the relationship between Alice Manfred and Dorcas.
7. In Chapter Nine, how does Felice describe Dorcas?
8. What sorts of things to Joe and Violet do together once their relationship is renewed?
9. Describe the way Felice obtains the ring, as presented by the narrator in Chapter Nine.
10. Describe Joe's recollection of the train ride to Maryland in Chapter Two.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)