|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who understands, like Joe, what it feels like to feel nothing inside?
(b) Rose Dear.
2. What is True Belle's relationship to Violet?
(a) She is Violet's school teacher.
(b) She is Violet's nanny.
(c) She is Violet's older sister.
(d) She is Violet's grandmother.
3. Why is Joe jealous of the young men on the street?
(a) They do not have to go searching for women.
(b) They do not have to worry about segregation and racism.
(c) They have living parents and loving wives.
(d) They have lots of money and good jobs.
4. Why does Malvonne want to make sure the young black girl's letter gets to the law school?
(a) She is threatened by the police.
(b) The young black girl is Malvonne's daughter.
(c) She is afraid she is reported for having stolen mail.
(d) She is afraid the girl has to get a low-paying job instead.
5. What does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
(a) A newborn cat.
(b) A sweet apple.
(c) A babydoll.
(d) A strong axe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction from Joe's friends and family when he and Violet move to the city?
2. Who does the best hunter choose to be his apprentices?
3. What does Violet steal during one of her crazy episodes?
4. In the beginning of the book, why does Joe say he shoots Dorcas?
5. Where does Violet's father travel to look for work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the scene in which Violet attacks Dorcas's body?
2. In Chapter Four, why does True Belle come to Virginia to care for her grandchildren?
3. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
4. In Chapter Four, how does Violet imagine Joe's relationship with Dorcas?
5. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
6. Describe Violet's "crazy episodes" as they are presented in Chapter One.
7. In Chapter Five, what does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
8. What is the significance of Dorcas's clothespin dolls in Chapter Three?
9. How does the narrator describe the way Joe and Violet meet in Chapter Four?
10. In Chapter Two, what reason does the narrator give for Joe killing Dorcas?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)