|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Violet described by the author?
(a) Attractive and haunting.
(b) Wrinkly and harsh.
(c) Skinny and over fifty.
(d) Chubby and pleasant.
2. What is special about Neola Miller?
(a) Her hair is bright yellow.
(b) She is deaf.
(c) Her left arm is paralyzed over her heart.
(d) She is a genius.
3. What instrument is constantly played during the parade?
4. What does Dorcas rescue from her home as a small child?
(a) A photo album.
(b) Her clothespin dolls.
(c) Her pet kitten.
(d) She decides not to rescue anything.
5. How does Rose Dear eventually die?
(a) No one is sure.
(b) She dies of a heart attack.
(c) She throws herself down a well.
(d) She convinces her boyfriend to kill her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
2. What does Joe think about Violet's crazy episodes?
3. How long does it take for Joe and Violet to pay off the debt on their farm?
4. What does Malvonne find behind her refrigerator?
5. What does the green and yellow parrot repeat?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Two, what reason does the narrator give for Joe killing Dorcas?
2. Describe how Dorcas's mother dies.
3. In Chapter Four, how does Violet imagine Joe's relationship with Dorcas?
4. In Chapter Five, how does the author describe Harlem in the springtime?
5. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
6. What is the significance of Dorcas's clothespin dolls in Chapter Three?
7. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
8. In what ways does Alice try to protect Dorcas?
9. Describe the death of Dorcas's mother.
10. Describe the time Joe sees Dorcas for the very first time.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)