|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument is constantly played during the parade?
2. What does the green and yellow parrot repeat?
(a) "You're the best man I ever met".
(b) "Please help me".
(c) "I love you".
(d) "You're an angel".
3. Where does Dorcas insist Joe take her?
(a) New York City.
(b) The zoo.
(c) A jazz club.
(d) The beauty parlor.
4. What does Joe think about Violet's crazy episodes?
(a) He ignores them completely.
(b) He thinks they are charming.
(c) He thinks they are incredibly annoying.
(d) He does not know about them.
5. Why does Malvonne want to make sure the young black girl's letter gets to the law school?
(a) The young black girl is Malvonne's daughter.
(b) She is afraid the girl has to get a low-paying job instead.
(c) She is afraid she is reported for having stolen mail.
(d) She is threatened by the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Dorcas's mother?
2. What does Alice Manfred do for a living?
3. What does the train conductor announce when he walks through the cabin where Joe and Violet are standing?
4. Where does Violet stop to have two malts?
5. Where do Dorcas's clothespin dolls lay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the way Joe and Violet meet in Chapter Four?
2. In Chapter Four, why does True Belle come to Virginia to care for her grandchildren?
3. In Chapter Four, how does the narrator describe the way Violet feels after she attacks Dorcas's body?
4. Describe Violet's "crazy episodes" as they are presented in Chapter One.
5. How does the narrator describe the scene in which Violet attacks Dorcas's body?
6. In Chapter Two, what does Joe tell Dorcas that he never tells Violet?
7. In Chapter Two, what reason does the narrator give for Joe killing Dorcas?
8. In Chapter Five, what does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
9. In Chapter Two, recount the surprise that Malvonne finds behind her refrigerator and her response to it.
10. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)