|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following are in Violet's apartment?
(a) Dogs and cats.
(b) Piles of newspapers.
(c) Birds and houseplants.
(d) Shotguns and cocaine.
2. Who adopts Joe at birth?
(a) True Belle.
(b) Rose Dear.
(c) Violet's parents.
(d) Rhoda and Frank Williams.
3. What happens when Dorcas eats candy?
(a) She becomes bloated.
(b) She gets hives.
(c) She breaks out.
(d) She becomes depressed.
4. Where do Dorcas's clothespin dolls lay?
(a) Within an old oak tree.
(b) Under her pillow.
(c) On the floor of the burnt-down home.
(d) In a cigar box.
5. What is the 1917 parade protesting?
(b) Child abuse.
(c) The St. Louis race riots.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Malvonne want to make sure the young black girl's letter gets to the law school?
2. What does Violet regret when she turns forty?
3. Who tells Violet Dorcas's address?
4. Why does Joe begin tracking Dorcas down with a gun?
5. How does Violet decide to get back at Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way True Belle's grandchildren are living when she comes to care for them in Chapter Six.
2. In Chapter Eight, what does Dorcas notice about Joe?
3. In Chapter 10, why do Joe and Violet often go to the roof? What do they do up there together?
4. Describe the relationship between True Belle and Golden Gray.
5. In Chapter Eight, why does the narrator say Dorcas is getting tired of Joe?
6. What is the story the narrator gives behind Joe's last name?
7. In Chapter Seven, why does Joe think Wild is his own mother?
8. In Chapter Five, how does the author describe Harlem in the springtime?
9. Describe the initial meeting between Golden Gray and his father in Chapter Seven.
10. In Chapter 10, why does Joe get a new job? Does this help his relationship with Violet?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)