|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
(a) They do not want to lose their places.
(b) They aren't hungry.
(c) They do not want to be separated by the table.
(d) They are afraid to sit down for fear they are punished.
2. How does Violet meet Joe?
(a) They are both lost while trying to get to Chicago.
(b) They grow up in the same church together.
(c) He falls out of tree she is sleeping under.
(d) They go on a blind date.
3. In the beginning of the book, why does Joe say he shoots Dorcas?
(a) He is trying to shoot someone else.
(b) He wants to keep the feeling of love going.
(c) He wants to capture her forever.
(d) She tries to rob him.
4. What does Violet steal during one of her crazy episodes?
(a) A television.
(b) A baby.
5. What does Violet do when the cotton crop is harvested?
(a) She goes back to Virginia.
(b) She becomes a teacher.
(c) She raises children.
(d) She stays in the neighborhood and works for a family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Violet go when she finds out about Joe's affair?
2. How much debt does Joe and Violet have on the land?
3. What does Violet find in the bottom of the parrot's cage?
4. What happens when Dorcas eats candy?
5. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joe's recollection of the train ride to Maryland in Chapter Two.
2. In Chapter Eight, what does Dorcas notice about Joe?
3. In Chapter Eight, why does the narrator say Dorcas is getting tired of Joe?
4. What sorts of things to Joe and Violet do together once their relationship is renewed?
5. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
6. In Chapter 10, why do Joe and Violet often go to the roof? What do they do up there together?
7. Describe the birthing scene of the naked black girl in Chapter Seven.
8. Who are the only people who do not know that Vera Louise has a son with a black man?
9. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
10. In Chapter Four, how does Violet imagine Joe's relationship with Dorcas?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)