|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Malvonne want to make sure the young black girl's letter gets to the law school?
(a) The young black girl is Malvonne's daughter.
(b) She is afraid the girl has to get a low-paying job instead.
(c) She is threatened by the police.
(d) She is afraid she is reported for having stolen mail.
2. What does Alice Manfred do for a living?
(a) Cleans wealthy people's homes.
(b) She is a seamstress.
(c) She is a nurse for a black doctor.
(d) Cooks in a nearby restaurant.
3. What does Violet regret when she turns forty?
(a) Getting married so early.
(b) Never having children.
(c) Not having been loved deeply enough.
(d) Not taking better care of her skin.
4. Who does Alice try to teach Dorcas to avoid?
(a) All other blacks.
(b) The wealthy.
(c) White male teenagers and adults.
(d) Social workers and teachers.
5. How is Violet described by the author?
(a) Skinny and over fifty.
(b) Attractive and haunting.
(c) Wrinkly and harsh.
(d) Chubby and pleasant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe want to stay near Dorcas after he shoots her?
2. Which of the following are in Violet's apartment?
3. Who does Alice eventually allow to come visit her at home?
4. What does Malvonne do for a living?
5. What type of Dorcas's makeup does Violet find out about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Harlem of the 1920s in Chapter One?
2. In Chapter Five, what does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
3. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
4. In what ways does Alice try to protect Dorcas?
5. How does the narrator describe the scene in which Violet attacks Dorcas's body?
6. What is the significance of Dorcas's clothespin dolls in Chapter Three?
7. Describe the time Joe sees Dorcas for the very first time.
8. Describe the relationship between Violet and Alice as presented in Chapter Three.
9. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
10. Describe what Violet does with the picture of Dorcas in Chapter One.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)