|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe not recall from his early days with Violet?
(b) What they buy as a couple.
(c) The dresses that she wears.
(d) Specific dates.
2. Who tells Violet Dorcas's address?
(b) True Belle.
3. Who does Alice eventually allow to come visit her at home?
(a) Dorcas's pet dog.
4. What does Violet do in response to her crazy episodes?
(a) She goes to find a priest.
(b) She becomes a musician.
(c) She becomes more and more silent.
(d) She writes in her journal.
5. What is special about Neola Miller?
(a) She is a genius.
(b) She is deaf.
(c) Her left arm is paralyzed over her heart.
(d) Her hair is bright yellow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Dorcas's mother?
2. Who moves to Chicago?
3. What does Joe wipe his tears with?
4. Who does Alice try to teach Dorcas to avoid?
5. How long does it take for Joe and Violet to pay off the debt on their farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story the narrator gives behind Joe's last name?
2. In Chapter Two, what reason does the narrator give for Joe killing Dorcas?
3. How does Violet learn more about Dorcas in Chapter One? What does she learn?
4. How does the narrator describe the scene in which Violet attacks Dorcas's body?
5. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
6. Describe the series of thoughts in Joe's mind the night he shoots Dorcas in Chapter Five.
7. How does the narrator describe the way Joe and Violet meet in Chapter Four?
8. Describe how Dorcas's mother dies.
9. Why is Violet known as "Violent" Trace in town?
10. In Chapter Two, recount the surprise that Malvonne finds behind her refrigerator and her response to it.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)