|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice Manfred do for a living?
(a) She is a nurse for a black doctor.
(b) Cooks in a nearby restaurant.
(c) She is a seamstress.
(d) Cleans wealthy people's homes.
2. How does the white men refer to the best hunter?
(a) As a farce and a scam.
(b) As a genius.
(c) As a hypnotist.
(d) As a witch doctor.
3. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
(a) They do not want to lose their places.
(b) They are afraid to sit down for fear they are punished.
(c) They aren't hungry.
(d) They do not want to be separated by the table.
4. What is True Belle's relationship to Violet?
(a) She is Violet's grandmother.
(b) She is Violet's nanny.
(c) She is Violet's older sister.
(d) She is Violet's school teacher.
5. What does the author suppose Violet does while Joe is looking out the window and crying?
(a) Pack up her belongings and leave.
(b) Put her arms around him and comfort him.
(c) Set his hair on fire.
(d) Cook breakfast for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Violet put the picture of Dorcas?
2. How much debt does Joe and Violet have on the land?
3. Who understands, like Joe, what it feels like to feel nothing inside?
4. Who attends the parade with Dorcas in 1917?
5. How long does it take for Joe and Violet to pay off the debt on their farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the death of Dorcas's mother.
2. How does Violet learn more about Dorcas in Chapter One? What does she learn?
3. In Chapter Two, what does Joe tell Dorcas that he never tells Violet?
4. Why do Joe and Violet fall into such deep debt in Chapter Five?
5. How does the narrator describe Harlem of the 1920s in Chapter One?
6. In Chapter Four, why does True Belle come to Virginia to care for her grandchildren?
7. How does the narrator describe the scene in which Violet attacks Dorcas's body?
8. In Chapter Five, what does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
9. Describe the different things Joe and Violet see in the picture of Dorcas.
10. Describe Joe's recollection of the train ride to Maryland in Chapter Two.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)