|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the green and yellow parrot repeat?
(a) "You're the best man I ever met".
(b) "Please help me".
(c) "I love you".
(d) "You're an angel".
2. What does Dorcas rescue from her home as a small child?
(a) Her clothespin dolls.
(b) A photo album.
(c) She decides not to rescue anything.
(d) Her pet kitten.
3. What does Violet do after she runs from the funeral home?
(a) Attacks Joe while he is sleeping.
(b) Releases all the birds from their cages.
(c) Tries to commit suicide.
(d) Takes a train back to Virginia.
4. Who does Dorcas stay with when Alice goes to work?
(a) Joe's mother.
(b) True Belle.
(c) No one.
(d) The Miller sisters.
5. What does Violet steal during one of her crazy episodes?
(a) A television.
(b) A baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet try to do to Dorcas's face?
2. What does Dorcas put on Joe's hands?
3. What is the 1917 parade protesting?
4. Why doesn't Violet sleep at night?
5. Why is Joe jealous of the young men on the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the time Joe sees Dorcas for the very first time.
2. Describe Violet's "crazy episodes" as they are presented in Chapter One.
3. In Chapter Five, how does the author describe Harlem in the springtime?
4. In what ways does Alice try to protect Dorcas?
5. In Chapter Four, why does True Belle come to Virginia to care for her grandchildren?
6. In Chapter Four, how does Violet imagine Joe's relationship with Dorcas?
7. Why do Joe and Violet fall into such deep debt in Chapter Five?
8. In Chapter Two, recount the surprise that Malvonne finds behind her refrigerator and her response to it.
9. In Chapter One, how does the narrator describe Violet Trace?
10. Describe the first time Joe officially meets Dorcas.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)