|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Malvonne gossip to both Joe and Violet near the end of the story?
(a) She wants to help them resolve their differences.
(b) Because everyone is bored.
(c) To tell them all of Dorcas's secrets.
(d) To pretend she doesn't betray either of them.
2. What does Violet Felice carry as she climbs the stairs?
(a) Some bags and boxes.
(b) A record and some stew.
(c) A photo and a guitar.
(d) Some jewelry and iced tea.
3. What does Joe find near the cooking fire?
(a) A dress, a doll, and a cigar case.
(b) Rope, wood, nails, and a hammer.
(c) Flour, sugar, and water.
(d) Knives and guns.
4. What does Lestory say in response to Golden Gray?
(a) He doesn't know he has a child.
(b) He cries and embraces Golden Gray.
(c) He wants Golden Gray to leave his property as soon as possible.
(d) He falls down and faints.
5. What does True Belle sew to the hem of her dress?
(a) Her fine silver.
(b) A one-dollar bill.
(c) A picture of her daughter.
(d) Twenty-two years' wages.
6. What do Joe and Violet do when they meet at the drugstore?
(a) Shop for hair supplies.
(b) Have a malt.
(c) Fill their neighbors' prescriptions.
(d) Fight incessantly.
7. What other girls are "after" Acton?
(a) All of them.
(b) Dorcas's best friend, Felice.
(c) No other girls desire Acton.
(d) A group of white girls.
8. What does True Belle hope Vera Louise does with the extra money her mother gives her?
(a) Use it to buy True Belle's husband and children out of slavery.
(b) Donate it to a good cause.
(c) Invest it in a bank.
(d) Spend it on nice clothes.
9. What is the relationship between Felice, Joe, and Violet like after Dorcas's death?
(a) Felice and Joe begin having an affair without Violet knowing.
(b) Violet and Felice become best friends.
(c) Felice moves in with Joe and Violet and the three become inseparable.
(d) Felice becomes a sort of foster daughter.
10. Why does Dorcas often sneak over to Felice's house?
(a) To try on the lingerie Joe gives her.
(b) To drink alcohol without anyone else knowing.
(c) To write secret love notes to send to Joe.
(d) To make private phone calls to Joe.
11. When does Dorcas say she reveals the true attacker?
(b) In her next life.
(d) Right before she dies.
12. What does Felice say Dorcas likes having?
(a) Her own space.
(b) A true love.
(c) Lots of money and food.
13. What do Joe and Violet take up on the roof with them?
(a) A bird.
(b) A picnic.
(c) A photograph.
(d) A record player.
14. What does Rose tell people about why her husband leaves?
(a) He is going to college in New York City.
(b) He is running from the police.
(c) He is very sick and has to get professional help.
(d) He is fed up with the price of coffee and his daughter's physical ailments.
15. Who does Joe think is his mother?
(b) Rose Dear.
(d) True Belle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author describe Acton's appearance from Dorcas's point of view?
2. During what season does Violet return the photo to Alice?
3. Where does Vera Louise go until she has the baby?
4. Who else is at the party with Dorcas and Acton?
5. What is the name of the speakeasy where Joe gets a job?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)