|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Felice's response to Violet's invitation?
(a) She hugs Violet.
(b) She says she never eats Violet's food.
(c) She ignores Violet.
(d) She accepts.
2. How is Felice related to Dorcas?
(a) They are best friends.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They are sisters.
(d) They never know each other.
3. Why do Felice and her mother go to Tiffany's?
(a) To show that they can buy expensive jewelry.
(b) They are bored.
(c) To create an uproar in the store.
(d) To run errands for a white lady.
4. Why does Alice move back to Springfield?
(a) She is too sad staying in Harlem.
(b) She is running from the Harlem police.
(c) She falls in love with a man there.
(d) To work for a white woman she knows.
5. What, in Dorcas's mind, is wrong with Joe?
(a) He adores Dorcas, no matter what she does.
(b) He has no musical talent.
(c) He has no sensitive side.
(d) He is cognitively impaired.
6. What does True Belle sew to the hem of her dress?
(a) A one-dollar bill.
(b) A picture of her daughter.
(c) Her fine silver.
(d) Twenty-two years' wages.
7. Who else is at the party with Dorcas and Acton?
(a) Wealthy black folk.
(b) Other young adults.
(c) Political figures.
(d) Acton's parents.
8. What does Rose tell people about why her husband leaves?
(a) He is going to college in New York City.
(b) He is very sick and has to get professional help.
(c) He is fed up with the price of coffee and his daughter's physical ailments.
(d) He is running from the police.
9. What does Felice learn about the ring's location?
(a) It is lost in the club where Dorcas is shot.
(b) Joe keeps the ring with him at all times.
(c) It is sold to a local auction house.
(d) Dorcas is buried wearing the ring.
10. What does Felice's mother have to show in order for her to be able to go inside the store?
(a) A picture of her employer.
(b) The amount of cash in her wallet.
(c) Her driver's license.
(d) A note from a white person.
11. What is Dorcas feeling as she is dancing with Acton?
(b) Completely happy.
12. What is the reason Golden Gray comes to see Lestory?
(a) To invite his father to come live with him.
(b) To ask his father for money.
(c) To see how black he is.
(d) To understand more about his heritage.
13. Who does True Belle constantly describe to Violet?
(a) Golden Gray.
(c) Violet's mother.
(d) Her dead husband.
14. What sort of birth does the naked pregnant girl have?
(a) An uneventful one.
(b) The girl leaves the cabin while she is in labor, so the reader doesn't know.
(c) A difficult one.
(d) An easy, short one.
15. How often does Felice see her parents growing up?
(a) Once a year.
(b) Every day.
(c) Two or three days every two weeks.
(d) Only on holidays.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does True Belle hope Vera Louise does with the extra money her mother gives her?
2. Who tells Felice and her mother they must stop trying on rings?
3. Why does Joe want to find Dorcas again?
4. Where are Violet and her siblings living with their mother?
5. When does Dorcas say she reveals the true attacker?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)