|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dorcas think she is falling at the party?
(a) She does not know why.
(b) Someone trips her.
(c) She has too much to drink.
(d) She is in love with Acton.
2. How is Felice's ring described?
(a) Rhinestones and white gold.
(b) Turquoise and coral.
(c) Silver and gold.
(d) Silver and black opal.
3. What is inside Joe's sample case in Chapter Eight?
(a) Dorcas's clothespin dolls.
(c) A red handkerchief.
(d) Drugs and guns.
4. Who tells Felice and her mother they must stop trying on rings?
(a) A little girl.
(b) A white man in a nice suit.
(c) The president of Tiffany's.
(d) Felice's father.
5. What day of the week does Violet invite Felice to dinner?
(a) The narrator does not tell us.
6. What does Joe find behind a hibiscus bush?
(a) A burrow.
(b) Dorcas's old dress.
(c) A parrot.
(d) A picture of his grandmother.
7. Who tells Golden Gray where his father lives?
(a) True Belle.
(b) Rose Dear.
(c) The town gossip.
(d) Vera Louise.
8. What happens to the plantation thirteen years after Golden Gray meets his father?
(a) It becomes an orphanage for unwanted children.
(b) It burns down.
(c) It is sold to Violet and Joe.
(d) It is sold to commercial builders.
9. What does Felice compare Dorcas to?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A snake.
(c) A movie star.
(d) A bird.
10. What does Violet Felice carry as she climbs the stairs?
(a) Some jewelry and iced tea.
(b) A photo and a guitar.
(c) Some bags and boxes.
(d) A record and some stew.
11. What does Golden Gray ask Lestory?
(a) Why he never loves Golden Gray's mother.
(b) Why he finds Golden Gray's mother so attractive.
(c) Why he is still single.
(d) Why Lestory never tries to contact him.
12. What does True Belle hope Vera Louise does with the extra money her mother gives her?
(a) Invest it in a bank.
(b) Donate it to a good cause.
(c) Use it to buy True Belle's husband and children out of slavery.
(d) Spend it on nice clothes.
13. Why does Dorcas tell Joe she wants to break up with him?
(a) She is moving far away.
(b) She is tired of sneaking around.
(c) She falls in love with someone else.
(d) She needs room to focus on her career.
14. At the end of the story, what do Joe and Violet do together?
(a) Run away to Chicago.
(b) Cook over a fire.
(c) Play checkers.
(d) Whisper under the covers.
15. How does Golden Gray become drunk?
(a) Lestory's corn liquor.
(b) The pregnant woman spikes his drink.
(c) He brings his own wine.
(d) He and Honor are sharing a case of beer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of present does Acton buy Dorcas?
2. During what season does Violet return the photo to Alice?
3. How old is Joe when the plantation burns?
4. How often does Felice see her parents growing up?
5. What other girls are "after" Acton?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)