|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe find near the cooking fire?
(a) Rope, wood, nails, and a hammer.
(b) Flour, sugar, and water.
(c) A dress, a doll, and a cigar case.
(d) Knives and guns.
2. As Golden Gray approaches his father's house, what does he wish to do to his father?
(a) Hug him and make amends.
(b) Threaten him with his gun.
(c) Fight him.
(d) Kill him.
3. How does the author describe Acton's appearance from Dorcas's point of view?
(a) He is plain-looking, but has thick hair.
(b) He is handsome and his hair has no gray in it.
(c) There is no description of Acton's physical appearance.
(d) He is tall and athletic.
4. Why does Dorcas like Acton better than Joe?
(a) He is more handsome and funnier.
(b) He doesn't abuse her like Joe.
(c) He is young and has power over her.
(d) He is rich and talented.
5. What sort of birth does the naked pregnant girl have?
(a) An easy, short one.
(b) A difficult one.
(c) An uneventful one.
(d) The girl leaves the cabin while she is in labor, so the reader doesn't know.
6. What sort of person does Dorcas want to be with?
(a) Someone funny and generous.
(b) Someone sweet and caring.
(c) Someone older and refined.
(d) Someone young and admirable.
7. What do Joe or Violet do after supper near the end of the story?
(a) Go for a walk.
(b) Play poker.
(c) Call their parents.
(d) Wash dishes.
8. Why does True Belle return to Vesper County?
(a) She is running from the law.
(b) Her job takes her there.
(c) Her husband dies.
(d) To care for her grandchildren.
9. How often does Felice see her parents growing up?
(a) Once a year.
(b) Two or three days every two weeks.
(c) Only on holidays.
(d) Every day.
10. At the end of the story, what do Joe and Violet do together?
(a) Play checkers.
(b) Cook over a fire.
(c) Whisper under the covers.
(d) Run away to Chicago.
11. Why does Felice's mother end up stealing the ring?
(a) Because she is angry with the little girl.
(b) She plans to sell it for cash.
(c) To show Felice's father that she has courage.
(d) To get even with the white man.
12. Where are Violet and her siblings living with their mother?
(a) In an abandoned shack.
(b) In a treehouse.
(c) In the basement of an occupied home.
(d) In an old motel.
13. What is the true reason Dorcas breaks up with Joe?
(a) Her parents forbid her from seeing him.
(b) She feels intimidated by him.
(c) She is ready to go to college.
(d) She has too much power over him.
14. What does Joe find behind a hibiscus bush?
(a) A picture of his grandmother.
(b) A burrow.
(c) A parrot.
(d) Dorcas's old dress.
15. What is the relationship between Felice, Joe, and Violet like after Dorcas's death?
(a) Felice and Joe begin having an affair without Violet knowing.
(b) Violet and Felice become best friends.
(c) Felice moves in with Joe and Violet and the three become inseparable.
(d) Felice becomes a sort of foster daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Felice's ring described?
2. What does Violet Felice carry as she climbs the stairs?
3. Who wipes the blood from the woman's face?
4. During what season does Violet return the photo to Alice?
5. What day of the week does Violet invite Felice to dinner?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)