|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Golden Gray cover the woman's body with?
(a) The curtain.
(c) Aluminum foil.
(d) A green dress.
2. Who does True Belle constantly describe to Violet?
(a) Violet's mother.
(b) Her dead husband.
(c) Golden Gray.
3. When does the ambulance arrive to help Dorcas?
(a) Five minutes after it is called.
(b) Several days after she dies.
(c) The morning after she is shot.
(d) One hour after it is called.
4. What do Joe or Violet do after supper near the end of the story?
(a) Wash dishes.
(b) Call their parents.
(c) Play poker.
(d) Go for a walk.
5. Why does Dorcas tell Joe she wants to break up with him?
(a) She falls in love with someone else.
(b) She is moving far away.
(c) She needs room to focus on her career.
(d) She is tired of sneaking around.
6. What is the name of the speakeasy where Joe gets a job?
(a) Easy Money.
7. What is the true reason Dorcas breaks up with Joe?
(a) Her parents forbid her from seeing him.
(b) She feels intimidated by him.
(c) She is ready to go to college.
(d) She has too much power over him.
8. What is Felice's response to Violet's invitation?
(a) She accepts.
(b) She ignores Violet.
(c) She hugs Violet.
(d) She says she never eats Violet's food.
9. What is the relationship between Felice, Joe, and Violet like after Dorcas's death?
(a) Felice becomes a sort of foster daughter.
(b) Felice and Joe begin having an affair without Violet knowing.
(c) Violet and Felice become best friends.
(d) Felice moves in with Joe and Violet and the three become inseparable.
10. What does Felice say Dorcas likes having?
(a) Lots of money and food.
(b) A true love.
(c) Her own space.
11. What other girls are "after" Acton?
(a) Dorcas's best friend, Felice.
(b) No other girls desire Acton.
(c) All of them.
(d) A group of white girls.
12. What does Golden Gray find in the trees near his father's home?
(a) A large sum of money.
(b) A naked pregnant woman.
(c) A dying dog.
(d) A rare flower.
13. How does the girl respond to the baby immediately after it is born?
(a) She cries and nurses it.
(b) She refuses to hold it.
(c) She tries to smother it.
(d) She holds it to her chest.
14. What is inside Joe's sample case in Chapter Eight?
(a) Dorcas's clothespin dolls.
(b) Drugs and guns.
(c) A red handkerchief.
15. Why does Dorcas have to be careful about how she looks and acts around Acton?
(a) He suspects she is not really in love with him.
(b) He demoralizes her and hit her.
(c) He has the power to make or break her career.
(d) He moves on to another girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Acton do before seeking medical care for Dorcas?
2. What does Lestory find when he gets back to his cabin?
3. Who does Joe think is his mother?
4. How much money is True Belle's savings worth?
5. What does Rose tell people about why her husband leaves?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)