|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Violet and her siblings living with their mother?
(a) In the basement of an occupied home.
(b) In a treehouse.
(c) In an abandoned shack.
(d) In an old motel.
2. At the end of the story, what do Joe and Violet do together?
(a) Play checkers.
(b) Run away to Chicago.
(c) Whisper under the covers.
(d) Cook over a fire.
3. Why does Dorcas have to be careful about how she looks and acts around Acton?
(a) He suspects she is not really in love with him.
(b) He has the power to make or break her career.
(c) He demoralizes her and hit her.
(d) He moves on to another girl.
4. How does Henry say one knows when Wild is near?
(a) It begins to rain.
(b) The sky turns bright white.
(c) Several redwings congregate in one spot.
(d) The ladybugs start buzzing.
5. How does True Belle know Vera Louise Gray is pregnant?
(a) She eavesdrops on Vera Louise's conversation.
(b) She sees it in a dream.
(c) True Belle does Vera Louise's laundry.
(d) She reads Vera Louise's diary.
6. Why does Malvonne gossip to both Joe and Violet near the end of the story?
(a) To pretend she doesn't betray either of them.
(b) Because everyone is bored.
(c) She wants to help them resolve their differences.
(d) To tell them all of Dorcas's secrets.
7. Who wipes the blood from the woman's face?
(a) An unidentified character.
(b) A young black boy caring for Lestory's stock.
(c) The woman wipes her own face.
(d) Golden Gray.
8. What does Felice learn about the ring's location?
(a) Joe keeps the ring with him at all times.
(b) It is sold to a local auction house.
(c) Dorcas is buried wearing the ring.
(d) It is lost in the club where Dorcas is shot.
9. How old is Joe when the plantation burns?
(d) An infant.
10. What sort of present does Acton buy Dorcas?
(a) A book.
(b) He doesn't buy her anything.
(c) A ring.
(d) A dress.
11. What sort of person does Dorcas want to be with?
(a) Someone sweet and caring.
(b) Someone funny and generous.
(c) Someone older and refined.
(d) Someone young and admirable.
12. When does Golden Gray find out who his father is?
(a) When he is eighteen.
(b) He never finds out.
(c) The age of two.
(d) When he is on his deathbed.
13. Who doesn't want an ambulance to be called after Joe shot Dorcas?
14. During what season does Violet return the photo to Alice?
15. What does True Belle sew to the hem of her dress?
(a) A picture of her daughter.
(b) Her fine silver.
(c) Twenty-two years' wages.
(d) A one-dollar bill.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the girl respond to the baby immediately after it is born?
2. Why does Dorcas think she is falling at the party?
3. Who does Joe think is his mother?
4. What does Golden Gray cover the woman's body with?
5. Why does Dorcas hope Joe comes looking for her after she breaks up with him?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)