|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the true reason Dorcas breaks up with Joe?
(a) She is ready to go to college.
(b) Her parents forbid her from seeing him.
(c) She feels intimidated by him.
(d) She has too much power over him.
2. What does Felice's mother have to show in order for her to be able to go inside the store?
(a) The amount of cash in her wallet.
(b) Her driver's license.
(c) A picture of her employer.
(d) A note from a white person.
3. As Golden Gray approaches his father's house, what does he wish to do to his father?
(a) Hug him and make amends.
(b) Threaten him with his gun.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Fight him.
4. Who tells Golden Gray where his father lives?
(a) The town gossip.
(b) True Belle.
(c) Rose Dear.
(d) Vera Louise.
5. What sort of person does Dorcas want to be with?
(a) Someone older and refined.
(b) Someone sweet and caring.
(c) Someone young and admirable.
(d) Someone funny and generous.
6. What does True Belle hope Vera Louise does with the extra money her mother gives her?
(a) Donate it to a good cause.
(b) Invest it in a bank.
(c) Spend it on nice clothes.
(d) Use it to buy True Belle's husband and children out of slavery.
7. What does Golden Gray call Lestory when he sees him?
(b) Your Honor.
(c) My Savior.
8. Who wipes the blood from the woman's face?
(a) Golden Gray.
(b) The woman wipes her own face.
(c) A young black boy caring for Lestory's stock.
(d) An unidentified character.
9. Who tells Felice and her mother they must stop trying on rings?
(a) Felice's father.
(b) A white man in a nice suit.
(c) The president of Tiffany's.
(d) A little girl.
10. How often does Felice see her parents growing up?
(a) Two or three days every two weeks.
(b) Every day.
(c) Once a year.
(d) Only on holidays.
11. What does True Belle sew to the hem of her dress?
(a) Her fine silver.
(b) Twenty-two years' wages.
(c) A one-dollar bill.
(d) A picture of her daughter.
12. What is inside Joe's sample case in Chapter Eight?
(a) Dorcas's clothespin dolls.
(b) A red handkerchief.
(d) Drugs and guns.
13. At the end of the story, what do Joe and Violet do together?
(a) Cook over a fire.
(b) Whisper under the covers.
(c) Play checkers.
(d) Run away to Chicago.
14. How long does True Belle stay with the children?
(a) About a year.
(b) Six days.
(c) Three years.
(d) Eleven years.
15. Where are Violet and her siblings living with their mother?
(a) In a treehouse.
(b) In the basement of an occupied home.
(c) In an abandoned shack.
(d) In an old motel.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Dorcas say she reveals the true attacker?
2. What is the name of the speakeasy where Joe gets a job?
3. How does True Belle know Vera Louise Gray is pregnant?
4. Who ends up calling an ambulance for Dorcas?
5. Why do Joe and Violet go up on the roof together?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)