|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Acton do before seeking medical care for Dorcas?
(a) Cleans the blood off his jacket.
(b) Kisses her.
(c) Drinks another beer.
(d) Runs after her attacker.
2. What does Dorcas notice about Joe when he shoots her?
(a) He is unrecognizable.
(b) He looks like her father.
(c) He is crying.
(d) He looks insane.
3. When does Golden Gray find out who his father is?
(a) When he is on his deathbed.
(b) When he is eighteen.
(c) The age of two.
(d) He never finds out.
4. Why does Dorcas have to be careful about how she looks and acts around Acton?
(a) He suspects she is not really in love with him.
(b) He has the power to make or break her career.
(c) He moves on to another girl.
(d) He demoralizes her and hit her.
5. Where are Violet and her siblings living with their mother?
(a) In an old motel.
(b) In a treehouse.
(c) In an abandoned shack.
(d) In the basement of an occupied home.
6. What does Felice say Dorcas does for Acton?
(a) Sells her car.
(b) Cuts her hair.
(c) Murders her friend.
(d) Buy him presents.
7. What is the true reason Dorcas breaks up with Joe?
(a) She feels intimidated by him.
(b) She is ready to go to college.
(c) Her parents forbid her from seeing him.
(d) She has too much power over him.
8. Why does Malvonne gossip to both Joe and Violet near the end of the story?
(a) Because everyone is bored.
(b) To tell them all of Dorcas's secrets.
(c) To pretend she doesn't betray either of them.
(d) She wants to help them resolve their differences.
9. What are Dorcas's last words?
(a) "Listen to the jazz".
(b) "Tell Joe there's only one apple".
(c) "Thank you for loving me".
(d) "Tell Joe I love him".
10. Who ends up calling an ambulance for Dorcas?
11. How does the girl respond to the baby immediately after it is born?
(a) She tries to smother it.
(b) She refuses to hold it.
(c) She cries and nurses it.
(d) She holds it to her chest.
12. What, in Dorcas's mind, is wrong with Joe?
(a) He is cognitively impaired.
(b) He has no sensitive side.
(c) He has no musical talent.
(d) He adores Dorcas, no matter what she does.
13. What does Rose tell people about why her husband leaves?
(a) He is going to college in New York City.
(b) He is running from the police.
(c) He is very sick and has to get professional help.
(d) He is fed up with the price of coffee and his daughter's physical ailments.
14. Why does Joe get a job at the speakeasy?
(a) So he earns lots of extra tips.
(b) Because Felice is also working there.
(c) So he spends time with Violet in the afternoons.
(d) So he remembers the times he spends with Dorcas.
15. How does True Belle know Vera Louise Gray is pregnant?
(a) She reads Vera Louise's diary.
(b) True Belle does Vera Louise's laundry.
(c) She sees it in a dream.
(d) She eavesdrops on Vera Louise's conversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl do to Lestory?
2. Who wipes the blood from the woman's face?
3. What is the relationship between Felice, Joe, and Violet like after Dorcas's death?
4. What does True Belle hope Vera Louise does with the extra money her mother gives her?
5. Who else is at the party with Dorcas and Acton?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)