|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry say one knows when Wild is near?
(a) It begins to rain.
(b) The ladybugs start buzzing.
(c) Several redwings congregate in one spot.
(d) The sky turns bright white.
2. What other girls are "after" Acton?
(a) All of them.
(b) Dorcas's best friend, Felice.
(c) A group of white girls.
(d) No other girls desire Acton.
3. What does Dorcas notice about Joe when he shoots her?
(a) He is crying.
(b) He looks insane.
(c) He looks like her father.
(d) He is unrecognizable.
4. Why does Joe get a job at the speakeasy?
(a) So he spends time with Violet in the afternoons.
(b) So he remembers the times he spends with Dorcas.
(c) So he earns lots of extra tips.
(d) Because Felice is also working there.
5. How old is Joe when the plantation burns?
(d) An infant.
6. What sort of birth does the naked pregnant girl have?
(a) An easy, short one.
(b) An uneventful one.
(c) A difficult one.
(d) The girl leaves the cabin while she is in labor, so the reader doesn't know.
7. Why does Felice's mother end up stealing the ring?
(a) Because she is angry with the little girl.
(b) To show Felice's father that she has courage.
(c) To get even with the white man.
(d) She plans to sell it for cash.
8. What does Felice say Dorcas likes having?
(a) Lots of money and food.
(c) A true love.
(d) Her own space.
9. How does Golden Gray become drunk?
(a) Lestory's corn liquor.
(b) The pregnant woman spikes his drink.
(c) He and Honor are sharing a case of beer.
(d) He brings his own wine.
10. What do Joe and Violet do when they meet at the drugstore?
(a) Fill their neighbors' prescriptions.
(b) Fight incessantly.
(c) Have a malt.
(d) Shop for hair supplies.
11. Where are Violet and her siblings living with their mother?
(a) In an old motel.
(b) In the basement of an occupied home.
(c) In a treehouse.
(d) In an abandoned shack.
12. Why does Malvonne gossip to both Joe and Violet near the end of the story?
(a) She wants to help them resolve their differences.
(b) To pretend she doesn't betray either of them.
(c) Because everyone is bored.
(d) To tell them all of Dorcas's secrets.
13. What sort of present does Acton buy Dorcas?
(a) He doesn't buy her anything.
(b) A ring.
(c) A dress.
(d) A book.
14. What does Golden Gray call Lestory when he sees him?
(a) My Savior.
(b) Your Honor.
15. How is Felice related to Dorcas?
(a) They never know each other.
(b) They are best friends.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are sisters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dorcas have to be careful about how she looks and acts around Acton?
2. What happens to the plantation thirteen years after Golden Gray meets his father?
3. What is the name of the speakeasy where Joe gets a job?
4. Who tells Felice and her mother they must stop trying on rings?
5. Why does Dorcas often sneak over to Felice's house?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)