|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lestory find when he gets back to his cabin?
(a) Honor is washing blood off the girl's face.
(b) His house is on fire.
(c) His posessions are stolen.
(d) Golden Gray is passed out in the corner.
2. Who tells Golden Gray where his father lives?
(a) The town gossip.
(b) Vera Louise.
(c) Rose Dear.
(d) True Belle.
3. Who does True Belle constantly describe to Violet?
(a) Her dead husband.
(b) Violet's mother.
(d) Golden Gray.
4. How does the girl respond to the baby immediately after it is born?
(a) She refuses to hold it.
(b) She tries to smother it.
(c) She cries and nurses it.
(d) She holds it to her chest.
5. What does Felice's mother have to show in order for her to be able to go inside the store?
(a) A note from a white person.
(b) The amount of cash in her wallet.
(c) A picture of her employer.
(d) Her driver's license.
6. What is inside Joe's sample case in Chapter Eight?
(b) A red handkerchief.
(c) Dorcas's clothespin dolls.
(d) Drugs and guns.
7. What does Felice compare Dorcas to?
(a) A movie star.
(b) A bird.
(c) A snake.
(d) An old woman.
8. What does Joe hear in the woods after fishing?
(a) A fire burning.
(b) Dogs barking and fighting.
(c) Violet screaming.
(d) A woman singing in the forest.
9. Who ends up calling an ambulance for Dorcas?
10. What does the girl do to Lestory?
(a) Kicks him in the shin.
(b) Spits in his face.
(c) Bites his hand.
(d) Kisses him on the cheek.
11. What happens to the plantation thirteen years after Golden Gray meets his father?
(a) It burns down.
(b) It is sold to Violet and Joe.
(c) It is sold to commercial builders.
(d) It becomes an orphanage for unwanted children.
12. What does Violet Felice carry as she climbs the stairs?
(a) A photo and a guitar.
(b) A record and some stew.
(c) Some bags and boxes.
(d) Some jewelry and iced tea.
13. Why does Dorcas like Acton better than Joe?
(a) He is rich and talented.
(b) He is young and has power over her.
(c) He is more handsome and funnier.
(d) He doesn't abuse her like Joe.
14. What does Violet offer to do to Felice's hair?
(a) Trim the ends.
(b) Unbraid it.
(c) Wash it.
(d) Curl it.
15. How does the author describe Acton's appearance from Dorcas's point of view?
(a) There is no description of Acton's physical appearance.
(b) He is tall and athletic.
(c) He is handsome and his hair has no gray in it.
(d) He is plain-looking, but has thick hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does True Belle stay with the children?
2. Why do Joe and Violet go up on the roof together?
3. Where does Vera Louise go until she has the baby?
4. Who tells Joe about Dorcas's last words?
5. What is the true reason Dorcas breaks up with Joe?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)