|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dorcas like Acton better than Joe?
(a) He is rich and talented.
(b) He is more handsome and funnier.
(c) He is young and has power over her.
(d) He doesn't abuse her like Joe.
2. What does Golden Gray ask Lestory?
(a) Why he is still single.
(b) Why he never loves Golden Gray's mother.
(c) Why he finds Golden Gray's mother so attractive.
(d) Why Lestory never tries to contact him.
3. What does True Belle sew to the hem of her dress?
(a) A picture of her daughter.
(b) Her fine silver.
(c) A one-dollar bill.
(d) Twenty-two years' wages.
4. Who does True Belle constantly describe to Violet?
(a) Violet's mother.
(c) Golden Gray.
(d) Her dead husband.
5. What does Golden Gray call Lestory when he sees him?
(b) My Savior.
(c) Your Honor.
6. What do Joe and Violet do when they meet at the drugstore?
(a) Shop for hair supplies.
(b) Fill their neighbors' prescriptions.
(c) Have a malt.
(d) Fight incessantly.
7. Where does Vera Louise go until she has the baby?
8. What does Golden Gray find in the trees near his father's home?
(a) A rare flower.
(b) A large sum of money.
(c) A naked pregnant woman.
(d) A dying dog.
9. Why does Joe get a job at the speakeasy?
(a) So he spends time with Violet in the afternoons.
(b) Because Felice is also working there.
(c) So he earns lots of extra tips.
(d) So he remembers the times he spends with Dorcas.
10. Why do Joe and Violet go up on the roof together?
(a) To listen to music.
(b) To jump off.
(c) To read a book.
(d) To look at the stars.
11. What does Lestory name the girl in his cabin?
12. How does True Belle know Vera Louise Gray is pregnant?
(a) She reads Vera Louise's diary.
(b) She eavesdrops on Vera Louise's conversation.
(c) True Belle does Vera Louise's laundry.
(d) She sees it in a dream.
13. How is Felice's ring described?
(a) Silver and black opal.
(b) Turquoise and coral.
(c) Silver and gold.
(d) Rhinestones and white gold.
14. Why does Dorcas have to be careful about how she looks and acts around Acton?
(a) He moves on to another girl.
(b) He has the power to make or break her career.
(c) He demoralizes her and hit her.
(d) He suspects she is not really in love with him.
15. Who else is at the party with Dorcas and Acton?
(a) Acton's parents.
(b) Political figures.
(c) Other young adults.
(d) Wealthy black folk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of person does Dorcas want to be with?
2. What does Golden Gray cover the woman's body with?
3. Why is Felice's ring so special to her?
4. What sort of birth does the naked pregnant girl have?
5. What is Felice's response to Violet's invitation?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)