|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Golden Gray cover the woman's body with?
(a) Aluminum foil.
(c) The curtain.
(d) A green dress.
2. What does Lestory say in response to Golden Gray?
(a) He falls down and faints.
(b) He cries and embraces Golden Gray.
(c) He wants Golden Gray to leave his property as soon as possible.
(d) He doesn't know he has a child.
3. What sort of person does Dorcas want to be with?
(a) Someone young and admirable.
(b) Someone funny and generous.
(c) Someone sweet and caring.
(d) Someone older and refined.
4. Why does Dorcas tell Joe she wants to break up with him?
(a) She needs room to focus on her career.
(b) She is moving far away.
(c) She is tired of sneaking around.
(d) She falls in love with someone else.
5. How long does True Belle stay with the children?
(a) About a year.
(b) Three years.
(c) Eleven years.
(d) Six days.
6. Why does Alice move back to Springfield?
(a) She falls in love with a man there.
(b) To work for a white woman she knows.
(c) She is too sad staying in Harlem.
(d) She is running from the Harlem police.
7. What sort of birth does the naked pregnant girl have?
(a) An uneventful one.
(b) The girl leaves the cabin while she is in labor, so the reader doesn't know.
(c) A difficult one.
(d) An easy, short one.
8. What does Felice say Dorcas likes having?
(a) A true love.
(b) Her own space.
(d) Lots of money and food.
9. When does the ambulance arrive to help Dorcas?
(a) One hour after it is called.
(b) Five minutes after it is called.
(c) Several days after she dies.
(d) The morning after she is shot.
10. Who tells Joe about Dorcas's last words?
(a) No one.
(b) Dorcas's mother.
11. What does Dorcas notice about Joe when he shoots her?
(a) He is crying.
(b) He looks like her father.
(c) He looks insane.
(d) He is unrecognizable.
12. What day of the week does Violet invite Felice to dinner?
(c) The narrator does not tell us.
13. Why does Dorcas hope Joe comes looking for her after she breaks up with him?
(a) She he is jealous and starts a fight.
(b) So he realizes she is happy.
(c) So they make up.
(d) So he understands her decision.
14. What does Golden Gray find in the trees near his father's home?
(a) A naked pregnant woman.
(b) A large sum of money.
(c) A dying dog.
(d) A rare flower.
15. What is the reason Golden Gray comes to see Lestory?
(a) To invite his father to come live with him.
(b) To understand more about his heritage.
(c) To ask his father for money.
(d) To see how black he is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe get a job at the speakeasy?
2. What is Felice's response to Violet's invitation?
3. What does Rose tell people about why her husband leaves?
4. What do Joe or Violet do after supper near the end of the story?
5. What does Golden Gray ask Lestory?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)